PDA

View Full Version : Intel Shipping New 1.7GHz-1.8GHz MacBook Air-Class Processors

MacRumors
Jun 20, 2011, 05:11 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/20/intel-shipping-new-1-7ghz-1-8ghz-macbook-air-class-processors/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/02/11/094654-mba.jpg

CNet reports (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20072665-64/intel-adds-sandy-bridge-chips-for-ultraslim-laptops/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&dlvrit=142337) that Intel has added new MacBook Air-class processors to their price list yesterday. The processors, which appeared Sunday on Intel's updated processor price list, are faster than current power-efficient Sandy Bridge chips used in skinny laptops such as the Samsung Series 9.

Apple is expected to use this type of Intel chip in its upcoming MacBook Air refresh. The Air, to date, has used older-generation Intel Core 2 Duo chips.We previously (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/20/intel-preps-1-7ghz-and-1-8ghz-processors-suitable-for-next-macbook-air/) covered the rumors about these new processors which could be used in Apple's upcoming MacBook Air. The specs for the new chips are listed here:

• Core i7-2677M: 2 cores, 1.8GHz (turbos to 2.9GHz), 4MB cache, 17 watts, $317
• Core i7-2637M: 2 cores, 1.7GHz (turbos to 2.8GHz), 4MB cache, 17 watts, $289
• Core i5-2557M: 2 cores, 1.7GHz (turbos to 2.7GHz), 3MB cache, 17 watts, $250

The new MacBook Air is rumored to launch in June or July, but Apple may be holdings its release (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/16/apple-holding-new-mac-hardware-updates-until-os-x-lion-launches/) for OS X Lion to ship.

Article Link: Intel Shipping New 1.7GHz-1.8GHz MacBook Air-Class Processors (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/20/intel-shipping-new-1-7ghz-1-8ghz-macbook-air-class-processors/)

sasj15
Jun 20, 2011, 05:13 PM
better to hold it until Lion release

The Samurai
Jun 20, 2011, 05:14 PM
woo hooo :D

CFreymarc
Jun 20, 2011, 05:15 PM

I bet these were scheduled to ship with Lion before it was delayed and not launched at WWDC. Will a Lion upgrade be free for these?

ratzzo
Jun 20, 2011, 05:16 PM
Excellent! I can see these becoming the most sold Apple laptop over the MBP. They are just amazing.

nwcs

Not really. It's missed sales opportunity. Anyone buying now would get a free upgrade anyway.

Sinnthetic
Wow these are more powerful than the Sandy Bridge processors?

cffry
Jun 20, 2011, 05:18 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Awesome! I'm glad I waited for the new ones. The current MBA is marked down at Best Buy, almost bought it.

sasj15
Jun 20, 2011, 05:18 PM
I bet these were scheduled to ship with Lion before it was delayed and not launched at WWDC. Will a Lion upgrade be free for these?

I guess once you activate a new Mac (with Lion preinstalled) using your apple id, a free upgrade will be available on your other Macs

ThunderSkunk
Jun 20, 2011, 05:19 PM
Well that's good news I guess sort of.

wavetool
Jun 20, 2011, 05:20 PM
Comparatively, what were the prices for the C2D chips in the current Airs?

sasj15
Jun 20, 2011, 05:21 PM
Not really. It's missed sales opportunity. Anyone buying now would get a free upgrade anyway.

True, but my suggestion is to provide opportunity for customers to compare performance on different models without upgrading

ten-oak-druid
Jun 20, 2011, 05:22 PM
The icloud was designed to get the MBA sales up. It is taking too long for reasonably priced SSD storage of reasonable storage capacity to become available.

And yes the icloud is about storage. Some say this is not the case. But the truth is that most people need large capacity drives to hold media. Apple wants people to buy movies and TV shows from the itunes store. But MBA owners don't have a lot of room to store it. The icloud allows you to buy the media and delete it without fear of losing it because you can always download again later.

awer25
Jun 20, 2011, 05:25 PM
How much you wanna bet it won't be a $67 upgrade to go from the lower 1.7GHz chip to the 1.8GHz ;)

BriChi
Jun 20, 2011, 05:27 PM
now just give the 11" model a 256gb upgrade option and i'm in!

AAPLaday
Jun 20, 2011, 05:28 PM
woo hooo :D

You going to be putting MW 2 on them? Be nice seeing how they handle it :cool:

*LTD*
Smaller but more powerful.

Only a matter of time before they're all A-series/ARM.

applefan289
Wow, surprised it's an i5.

Icaras
Jun 20, 2011, 05:29 PM

Missed opportunity? You mean Apple not making a high profit margin off the current Core 2 Duo MBAs is missed opportunity? :confused:

Seriously, what average consumer walking into your local Apple store even know what a "Sandry Bridge" is? Forum dwellers on the internet dabbling in tech talk is such a tiny minority in the grander scheme of things.

kdimitt
Jun 20, 2011, 05:29 PM
Wow these are more powerful than the Sandy Bridge processors?

They are still Sandy Bridge, just newer, and better.

wordoflife
Jun 20, 2011, 05:31 PM
An i7 in a MacBook Air. Can you say "daaaaamn?"

Though it is only dual core .... but still, an i7!!! :D

HiRez
Why do they i5s use the same power as the i7s? Isn't the i5 lower performance, and shouldn't it use less power? Would the 11" MBA get an i7 option?

fyrefly
Comparatively, what were the prices for the C2D chips in the current Airs?

Similar. The 11"ers SU9400/9600 are $262/$289. The 13"ers SL9400/9600 are $284/$316.

But with Integrated graphics - Apple reduces their costs even more by not having to pay for a 320M chip on top of the processors.

In my mind, the best thing about these three new processors is that the top on turbo boosts it's graphics up to 1.2Ghz, whereas we've only seen Sandy Bridge benchmarks of the i5-2537 which only Turbo boosts to 900Mhz.

Whether that makes a difference has yet to be seen. ;)

Tootles
Jun 20, 2011, 05:32 PM
Fast is good but do they run cool enough that the fan runs silently during non-gaming usage?

gkarris
Jun 20, 2011, 05:33 PM
Found these links - 320m edges it out...

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-320M.28701.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html

jdechko
Jun 20, 2011, 05:33 PM
Man I want one of these Airs.

HiRez
Jun 20, 2011, 05:34 PM

Hell, I want a 512 GB option, but I'm not holding my breath. Yeah, 256 GB would be nice though, and a backlit keyboard.

Tootles
Jun 20, 2011, 05:40 PM
Fast is good but will they run cool enough, that the fan runs silently during non-gaming usage?

JohnDoe98
Jun 20, 2011, 05:41 PM
I guess the Macbook will finally be dead once stocks finish selling out. Can't wait to see what surprises they have for the mac minis and mac pros. I think this Lion release is going to be huge (that is, it will come with major hardware changes across the board). These airs are going to purr along nicely. Let's hope they also come in black!

ratzzo
Jun 20, 2011, 05:45 PM
According to every rumor, it would seem as if Apple were to reveal new Air/Mac Pro/Mini models on par with Lion release. That's a lot of computer refreshes in such a short timespan!

Also, if only they added backlit keyboard on the Air, I would consider selling my MBP to get an Air.

justinfreid
Jun 20, 2011, 05:45 PM
Fast is good but will they run cool enough, that the fan runs silently during non-gaming usage?

I wonder that, too. It seems like one of these running at 2.9 GHz turbo could be used to slice through steel. Do they maintain the stated TDP while in turbo?

jabooth
Jun 20, 2011, 05:48 PM
Anyone any idea what the order of magnitude performance of these might be when compared to something like the c2d in the standard macbook? Are we at the point now where the new air is equal to/more powerful than the macbook, even with half the TDP? That would be something..

Optimus Frag
Jun 20, 2011, 05:49 PM
Niiiiiiccceeee.

So glad I waited (if that's going into the new air's) i7's in a MBA. Hope it's option for the 11incher but even an i5 would be cool.

fkhan3
Jun 20, 2011, 05:52 PM
I'm sold, now launch them already!

nagromme
Jun 20, 2011, 05:52 PM
Years ago, in the days of the Mhz Myth, I would NEVER have imagined that in 2011 we’d still have fast, current machines lingering around 2 GHz and below!

It would have been even harder to imagine me learning not to care! But I don’t. The Air already does great on speed tests. I can’t wait for the new ones.

Esquire1
Jun 20, 2011, 05:54 PM
Can someone discuss the differences between these processors? Any benchmarks?

They seem relatively the same, except for the i5 with its 3MB cache compared to 4MB. What does that mean, layman wise?

MattInOz
Jun 20, 2011, 05:54 PM

Lion was never going to ship at WWDC...
If it did, by same strange act of god (Yes I would become a religious man if it did) then it would have been early.
Even July is a good month and half earlier than what most people expected when Apple said "Summer".

btw... I'm thinking these new Airs will rock.

*LTD*
Jun 20, 2011, 05:55 PM
Man I want one of these Airs.

I kinda want one as well, but I think they'd be a little iffy during the odd time I'd play a session of EVE Online. I hardly game anymore - a lot of what's out there is **** anyway - but those odd times, y'know?

What's more likely is my gaming needs have changed. Graphics and the like now take a back seat to story and depth. Back to the good old days.

Bonsai1214
Jun 20, 2011, 05:58 PM
this made me want a new air even more, if they do eventually go into the refresh.

also, anodized black body? i'd splooge like none other.

wordoflife
Jun 20, 2011, 06:00 PM
Years ago, in the days of the Mhz Myth, I would NEVER have imagined that in 2011 we’d still have fast, current machines lingering around 2 GHz and below!

It would have been even harder to imagine me learning not to care! But I don’t. The Air already does great on speed tests. I can’t wait for the new ones.

The Air uses very low powered processors. These new processors are rather powerful which makes it remarkable considering the low power they use.

Eidorian
Jun 20, 2011, 06:03 PM
The Turbo clock speeds listed are for a single core.

JohnDoe98
Jun 20, 2011, 06:05 PM
The Turbo clock speeds listed are for a single core.

Which means what? Can you translate what the implications would be?

Minhthien
Jun 20, 2011, 06:07 PM
I was holding off from the new MBP 15"! I am currently use 2010 MBP 13" and Lightroom is a bit slow. Anyone think the new MBA i7 going to be ok for Lightroom and sometime iMovie editing? The thing is its still only a Dual Core and not Quad!

Eidorian
Jun 20, 2011, 06:10 PM
Which means what? Can you translate what the implications would be?The amazing 2.9 GHz is how far a single core can clock up under Turbo Boost. It is a much more modest 600 MHz boost on the Core i5 and 800 MHz on the Core i7 for both cores. That depends on the cooling situation more than anything though.

This is also the second release of ULV processors as well.

Piggie
Jun 20, 2011, 06:13 PM
I was holding off from the new MBP 15"! I am currently use 2010 MBP 13" and Lightroom is a bit slow. Anyone think the new MBA i7 going to be ok for Lightroom and sometime iMovie editing? The thing is its still only a Dual Core and not Quad!

I would of thought the screen res would be one of the most important things to consider for these things,

fyrefly
Jun 20, 2011, 06:14 PM
Can someone discuss the differences between these processors? Any benchmarks?

No benchmarks, as these things were only just announced today.

The only comparable Sandy Bridge-era benchmarks seem to be the Samsung Series 9. It's a 17W i5 processor and shows a decent gain on the CPU side, while some losses in gaming performance.

These ones are all new and will be faster than that one, in both graphics and CPU. How fast? No-one knows till we get our hands on them. Even then, windows benchmarks (like those for the Series 9) will vary from Mac benchmarks (due to different designs/drivers).

They seem relatively the same, except for the i5 with its 3MB cache compared to 4MB. What does that mean, layman wise?

3MB vs. 4MB cache shouldn't mean much to the average person. Same with clock speed - .1Ghz isn't gonna mean much to people - it'll just depend on usage and budget - if it's $300 more for .1Ghz, then probably not worth it. Wait till these things actually get released and we'll see what MacWorld and the like come up with in terms of benchmarks for everyday tasks.

robertpolson
Jun 20, 2011, 06:15 PM
Do you think it is worth selling my current 2011 Macbook Air 13 with 4GB ram and get the new Air?

fyrefly
Jun 20, 2011, 06:16 PM

Any quad-core chips for laptops are in the 45W range (like the 2011 MBPs). The 11" MBA can only handle ~17W and the 13" MBA only like ~25W. No way you're gonna see a quad core in the MBA.

If you're using a core2Duo MBP - the MBA might be faster for Lightroom, depending on how much Lightroom uses the GPU.

Do you think it is worth selling my current 2011 Macbook Air 13 with 4GB ram and get the new Air?

Only you can really decide that for yourself. Does your machine do everything you need it to right now? Is there someone on the new air that you need? (Thunderbolt?) Otherwise, I'd suggest your air is ok.

Esquire1
Jun 20, 2011, 06:18 PM
fyrefly, thanks very much. You laid it all out in a clear and easy to understand fashion. Much appreciated.

iDisk
Jun 20, 2011, 06:20 PM
Intel HD 3000 graphics card still doesn't make this a worthwhile update... Apple should have just put higher clocked C2D in the Airs from the beginning.... Nvidia 320 is still the better card.

likegadgets
Jun 20, 2011, 06:20 PM

If they would have an 8GB RAM + 512 SSD (or OWC), I would consider replacing mt MBP

reactions
Jun 20, 2011, 06:21 PM
Excellent! I can see these becoming the most sold Apple laptop over the MBP. They are just amazing.

I'm a newb here but if the speed was on par with mbp's can u tell me the disadvantages and advantages of one over the other?

macjonny1
Jun 20, 2011, 06:28 PM

Wow...

JohnDoe98
Jun 20, 2011, 06:35 PM

That depends. How long do you plan on keeping it? If a long time then yes. Sell your current MBA asap since its resale value is higher now then it ever will be. Why sell though if you want to keep it a long time? Well, because in the long run, OSs might drop Core 2 Duo support well before they drop i5 or i7 support. Notice how Lion now requires Core 2 Duo and is dropping Core Duo. Also notice how SL dropped anything lower than Core Duo, even if it was intel based. At some point some new operating system will likely allow the new MBA but not the one you got.

As for performance in the interim... We won't know until benchmarks show up. So if you are generally happy with your current machine, maybe you don't need the new one. Mac OSs always seem to pack nice features though, so keep that in mind.

Santabean2000
Jun 20, 2011, 06:36 PM

I hope you're being sarcastic.

Wang Foolio
Jun 20, 2011, 06:40 PM
Only if you really, really, really need Thunderbolt for some reason...

FanBoyTroll
Jun 20, 2011, 06:43 PM
Only if you really, really, really need Thunderbolt for some reason...

Mmm... I would like to know if Thundebolt can be used for anything at all. I doubt anyone really needs it. :apple:

tonypee
Jun 20, 2011, 06:46 PM
Here's some benchmarks of its chip

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Intel-HD-Graphics-3000-graphics-solution.43710.0.html

fyrefly
Jun 20, 2011, 06:54 PM
Intel HD 3000 graphics card still doesn't make this a worthwhile update... Apple should have just put higher clocked C2D in the Airs from the beginning.... Nvidia 320 is still the better card.

There are no higher clocked C2D chips to move to. The SL9600 is the highest-clocked Low-Voltage C2D available.

There's really no choice for Apple - move to Sandy Bridge and lose a bit of gaming performance, or wait for Ivy Bridge, which is still probably a year away at this point.

Here's some benchmarks of its chip

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Intel-HD-Graphics-3000-graphics-solution.43710.0.html

That is a review of the Quad-Core (full voltage) chips that are in the 15" MBP. The 11" (and possibly the 13") Air will get Low Voltage versions of the Sandy Bridge chips that have less performance in terms of gaming.

Pretty much everything else one would do (other than, say, high end compositing in Motion) the Intel HD 3000 will not seem any different than the 320M (despite the fact that it is "less capable").

robertpolson
Jun 20, 2011, 06:57 PM
There are no higher clocked C2D chips to move to. The SL9600 is the highest-clocked Low-Voltage C2D available.

There's really no choice for Apple - move to Sandy Bridge and lose a bit of gaming performance, or wait for Ivy Bridge, which is still probably a year away at this point.

I think I'll wait for Ivy Bridge and then sell my Macbook Air 13 2011.

iDisk
Jun 20, 2011, 06:58 PM

I would wait then... but I'm an engineer at heart ... I'm not a gamer but the Intel HD 3000 is just a slap in the face... I really feel bad for the 13" MBP customers, the get a low rez screen and that graphics card on a "Pro" laptop

fyrefly
Jun 20, 2011, 07:00 PM

And you're more than welcome to do that. I've said this numerous times - the primary market for the Sandy Bridge MBA will not be current (2010 release) MacBook Air owners. It'll be new Mac Users, or those with older MacBooks that want a new laptop.

Mmm... I would like to know if Thundebolt can be used for anything at all. I doubt anyone really needs it. :apple:

LOL. At present, it's a bit of a mystery, indeed. But the *potential* of Thunderbolt is really awesome - if only Apple can muster up some 3rd Party support - there's so much awesome stuff that the port can do.

Laco
Jun 20, 2011, 07:02 PM
anyone think the hard drive sizes will be increased?

lordrayden127
Jun 20, 2011, 07:04 PM
That depends. How long do you plan on keeping it? If a long time then yes. Sell your current MBA asap since its resale value is higher now then it ever will be. Why sell though if you want to keep it a long time? Well, because in the long run, OSs might drop Core 2 Duo support well before they drop i5 or i7 support. Notice how Lion now requires Core 2 Duo and is dropping Core Duo. Also notice how SL dropped anything lower than Core Duo, even if it was intel based. At some point some new operating system will likely allow the new MBA but not the one you got.

As for performance in the interim... We won't know until benchmarks show up. So if you are generally happy with your current machine, maybe you don't need the new one. Mac OSs always seem to pack nice features though, so keep that in mind.

The reason they are eliminating support for Intel's Core Duo processors is because those processors are not capable of running 64-bit code. I may be wrong, but I highly doubt Apple will stop supporting Core 2 Duo processors for a long, long time as they can run 64-bit code.

ri0ku
Jun 20, 2011, 07:04 PM

comments like this are stupid...

The 320 is only slightly faster at doing certain tasks than the HD3000 the CPU performance alone would make most of your performance in any application better.

You cannot simply put a higher clock rate on the c2d... in such a small enclosure.. you have to think about heat...and power consumption...

asdf542
Jun 20, 2011, 07:08 PM
Apple dropped Core Duo support because apps in Lion are starting to be compiled only in 64-bit. If you hack Lion onto a Core Duo MBP then the Finder for example won't run because it's no longer being compiled in 32-bit.

Machines with a 64-bit CPU and a 64-bit EFI will be at the EOL when their other parts no longer meet the system requirements. The CPU won't be the deciding factor for system requirement cut-offs later down the road. Those with C2D machines that have 64-bit EFI's have nothing more to worry about than i3, i5, i7 or Xeon machines. I'd be more worried about their RAM limit as far as system requirements will go (this applies to ALL machines, not just Core 2 Duo's).

JohnDoe98
Jun 20, 2011, 07:11 PM
The reason they are eliminating support for Intel's Core Duo processors is because those processors are not capable of running 64-bit code. I may be wrong, but I highly doubt Apple will stop supporting Core 2 Duo processors for a long, long time as they can run 64-bit code.

I hope you are right!

macjonny1
Jun 20, 2011, 07:11 PM

Core 2 Duo support will be there for a LONG LONG time. Apple used the Core Duo processors for only a short period. They have had C2Duos in their computers since at least 2007 until present. That's a lot of computers to shut out, and isn't going to happen for quite a while.

JohnDoe98
Jun 20, 2011, 07:17 PM
Apple dropped Core Duo support because apps in Lion are starting to be compiled only in 64-bit. If you hack Lion onto a Core Duo MBP then the Finder for example won't run because it's no longer being compiled in 32-bit.

Machines with a 64-bit CPU and a 64-bit EFI will be at the EOL when their other parts no longer meet the system requirements. The CPU won't be the deciding factor for system requirement cut-offs later down the road. Those with C2D machines that have 64-bit EFI's have nothing more to worry about than i3, i5, i7 or Xeon machines. I'd be more worried about their RAM limit as far as system requirements will go (this applies to ALL machines, not just Core 2 Duo's).

Fair enough. I was not wedded to making a point about only CPUs, though that is how I presented it. I guess there will always be multiple possible reasons why a system can get dropped down the road. All we can say for sure is that the newer it is the longer it'll last. So if he just bought his MBA and a new one is about to come out, it might be worth paying the difference. If you have already had the system for a while and there has been considerable depreciation of value, upgrading might not be worth it.

asdf542
Jun 20, 2011, 07:17 PM
Core 2 Duo support will be there for a LONG LONG time. Apple used the Core Duo processors for only a short period. They have had C2Duos in their computers since at least 2007 until present. That's a lot of computers to shut out, and isn't going to happen for quite a while.

The only cut-off we could see after Lion (as far as the CPU goes) will be machines that only have a 32-bit EFI. There's still a 32-bit kernel in Lion to support the machines with 64-bit processors but only have a 32-EFI. I can't imagine those machines sticking around for another OS update after Lion.

List of machines with 64-bit CPU's and 32-bit EFI's:
http://www.everymac.com/articles/q&a/snow-leopard-mac-os-x-faq/mac-os-x-snow-leopard-64-bit-macs-64-bit-efi-boot-in-64-bit-mode.html

JohnDoe98
Jun 20, 2011, 07:22 PM
The only cut-off we could see after Lion (as far as the CPU goes) will be machines that only have a 32-bit EFI. There's still a 32-bit kernel in Lion to support the machines with 64-bit processors but only have a 32-EFI. I can't imagine those machines sticking around for another OS update after Lion.

http://www.everymac.com/articles/q&a/snow-leopard-mac-os-x-faq/mac-os-x-snow-leopard-64-bit-macs-64-bit-efi-boot-in-64-bit-mode.html

There are systems there with 64 bits in everything but the boot, but which the site says would need to be updated. Is Apple likely to upgrade the systems with firmware support or will they also be dumped, despite being capable?

fyrefly
Jun 20, 2011, 07:24 PM

I've seen Lion (Developer Preview) run flawlessly on a CoreDuo 1st Gen White MacBook from 2006. Finder and all.

Apple *wants* us to move to all 64-bit. But they're not there yet. But discontinuing official support for 32-bit systems (EFI and all) is a first step to drag people away from their "legacy" hardware.

asdf542
Jun 20, 2011, 07:30 PM
There are systems there with 64 bits in everything but the boot, but which the site says would need to be updated. Is Apple likely to upgrade the systems with firmware support or will they also be dumped, despite being capable?

I can't speak for Apple but they will most likely update those that are capable when the time comes.

I've seen Lion (Developer Preview) run flawlessly on a CoreDuo 1st Gen White MacBook from 2006. Finder and all.

Apple *wants* us to move to all 64-bit. But they're not there yet. But discontinuing official support for 32-bit systems (EFI and all) is a first step to drag people away from their "legacy" hardware.

You may have seen it running on developer builds prior to version 4, but you can not make the Finder run in DP4 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12735261&postcount=93) or later on Core Solo/Duo machines. It's only compiled in 64-bit, and I'm sure that many other apps will follow. There ARE technical reasons as to why Apple is dropping 32-bit machines.

apdg
Jun 20, 2011, 07:33 PM
In my mind, the best thing about these three new processors is that the top on turbo boosts it's graphics up to 1.2Ghz, whereas we've only seen Sandy Bridge benchmarks of the i5-2537 which only Turbo boosts to 900Mhz.

I don't know, I think we do have a fair comparison. Primate labs lists the processor in the i5 13" MBP as a 2415 which I believe has a 650/1200 base/turbo on its HD 3000. While the base CPU speeds of the MBP's i5 are higher, the turbo is the same as the turbo of this 1.8 i7. There are some decent tests of that machine here (http://www.techyalert.com/2011/02/25/macbook-pro-2010-vs-macbook-pro-2011/).

I'll admit it seems a little weird to be comparing the 2.3ghz MBP to a 1.8ghz MBA but the turbo speeds for both CPU and GPU are identical which might suggest comparable top end performance if thermals can be kept in a happy place.

BrownManUPS
Jun 20, 2011, 07:36 PM
The anticipation is intense! So many rumors are flying left and right. Surely a big seller for back to school and Christmas.

pil0tflame
Jun 20, 2011, 07:37 PM
I would wait then... but I'm an engineer at heart ... I'm not a gamer but the Intel HD 3000 is just a slap in the face... I really feel bad for the 13" MBP customers, the get a low rez screen and that graphics card on a "Pro" laptop

Intel Core 2 Duo chips are in limited supply and will run out sooner or later. While no one, myself included, knows the exact numbers, I suspect there aren't enough C2D chips left to allow Apple to continue selling C2D MacBook Airs while waiting for Ivy Bridge LV/ULV chips to be released.

While I agree the HD 3000 is a step backwards from a technical standpoint, Apple has little choice with the heat and space restrictions of the MacBook Airs. Besides, for a console gamer like me, the HD 3000 will do everything I need it to in the Air and I will never think twice about it. :)

AidenShaw
Jun 20, 2011, 07:45 PM

I'd be more worried about their RAM limit as far as system requirements will go (this applies to ALL machines, not just Core 2 Duo's).

The only cut-off we could see after Lion (as far as the CPU goes) will be machines that only have a 32-bit EFI.

I think that any C2D system will live until Apple OSX can no longer run reasonably well with 3.25 GiB of RAM.

On the mobile/Imac side, that means any system earlier than the Cantiga Gx45/Px45 chipsets from fall 2008 will need to be dropped.

On the Xeon side, all Xeon chipsets that Apple used support more than 4 GiB - so not a problem.

tigres
Jun 20, 2011, 07:55 PM
Someone tell me....

Do I need to replace my 13" 2.13ghz, 4gb for these?

Mine screams now, will this be that much better? Please tell me the pros and cons for the upgrade. May pass mine to my wife's dying MB 2007 :D

Seriously, I only miss the damn backlight keyboard. VMWare works flawlessly, so people do I need to pull out the AMEX for this one now:confused:

vincenz
Jun 20, 2011, 08:17 PM
Want, want, want. Absolutely no reason to upgrade, absolutely no reason to upgrade, absolutely no reason to upgrade.

DCJ001
Jun 20, 2011, 08:45 PM
I bet these were scheduled to ship with Lion before it was delayed and not launched at WWDC.

Will a Lion upgrade be free for these?

In case you've been living in a cave for the last two weeks, with no access to the internet or news:

10.7 is a free upgrade for every Mac purchased on or after 06/06/11!

Abyssgh0st
Jun 20, 2011, 08:47 PM

The white MacBook is Apple's best selling laptop.

shanmugam
Jun 20, 2011, 08:47 PM
The anticipation is intense! So many rumors are flying left and right. Surely a big seller for back to school and Christmas.

they might screw up the refresh by having 64GB SDD at the low end and 2GB Standard again, who knows :D just saying ...

$899 price point is bit concerning, there might not be a SSD capacity upgrade or RAM upgrade at $899

soLoredd
Jun 20, 2011, 08:48 PM

Why do you feel bad for me? I don't get it.

shanmugam
Jun 20, 2011, 08:49 PM

+1, even today it outsells MBA.

from the apple US Store ...

Top Sellers
Mac
1.MacBook Pro
2.iMac
3.Magic Trackpad
4.Epson Stylus NX420 All-in-One Printer
5.MacBook

MBA as a second mac rules, not just only one Mac, for that Macbook wins hands down.

iansilv
Jun 20, 2011, 08:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Whoa! These might be in the new MacBook airs!

:). Had to.

shanmugam
Jun 20, 2011, 09:12 PM
these CPUs used under 13" MBA also, that would be impressive battery life

1.5GHz and 1.6GHz used in 11" MBA
1.7GHz and 1.8Ghz used in 13" MBA

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-2657M-Notebook-Processor.49737.0.html

based on the above, it is not too shabby almost good as 2nd Generation for i3 and first Generation i5

apple101
Jun 20, 2011, 09:30 PM

I could see that too, but I still need a DVD drive. I play games like The Sims 3 on my MacBook.

wavetool
Jun 20, 2011, 09:32 PM
Similar. The 11"ers SU9400/9600 are $262/$289. The 13"ers SL9400/9600 are $284/$316.

But with Integrated graphics - Apple reduces their costs even more by not having to pay for a 320M chip on top of the processors.

Whether that makes a difference has yet to be seen. ;)

Cool. Thanks, FF!

pil0tflame
Jun 20, 2011, 09:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Whoa! These might be in the new MacBook airs!

:). Had to.

I think you mean "heirs" ;) http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/heir

lshirase
Jun 20, 2011, 09:56 PM
Someone tell me....

Do I need to replace my 13" 2.13ghz, 4gb for these?

Mine screams now, will this be that much better? Please tell me the pros and cons for the upgrade. May pass mine to my wife's dying MB 2007 :D

Seriously, I only miss the damn backlight keyboard. VMWare works flawlessly, so people do I need to pull out the AMEX for this one now:confused:

I have the current 13" mba ultimate. I will NOT be upgrading this time around. The current gen mba caters to all of my computing needs. A faster CPU will not help me the slightest bit.

pgiguere1
Jun 20, 2011, 09:56 PM

It was from 2006 to 2008. Now it's the 13" MBP.

fatlardo
Jun 20, 2011, 10:09 PM
Wow, pretty cool! I want but will not be upgrading either. Plus, I do game a little when I travel with this laptop. One thing thought, I wish my 11 incher had a longer battery time. Makes me want to buy a 13 in!

shanmugam
Jun 20, 2011, 10:09 PM
It was from 2006 to 2008. Now it's the 13" MBP.

true, to be fair to macbook, it was not refreshed as often like MBP

macbook treated like step child compared to MBP

42streetsdown
Jun 20, 2011, 10:17 PM
If Apple uses these CPUs they'll be in the 11 inch. The 13 inch will be using 25 watt CPUs

bijanorama
Jun 20, 2011, 10:18 PM
I don't understand why they make three different processor models. Why not just make one and cut the costs down? They all do the exact same thing.

CorvetteZR1
Jun 20, 2011, 10:19 PM
Will these chips cause heat issues in the Macbook Airs?

dawnrazor
Jun 20, 2011, 10:20 PM
anyone expecting a massive upgrade to the MBAs is going to be disappointed.

My guess i5 for the 11" and i7 for the 13". No change in storage or RAM.

Maybe a Thunderbolt, but at the expense of one of the USBs of course.

Can't see any other changes, apart from anything necessary to accommodate the above. This is still a relatively new product in terms of when the 2nd gen MBAs were released, Apple won't do a massive upgrade until gen 4.

And I'm not expecting them to arrive until after Lion is out... Same for the new Mac Pro and Mac Mini and for that matter the new APE and Time Machine.

42streetsdown
Jun 20, 2011, 10:22 PM
Maybe a Thunderbolt, but at the expense of one of the USBs of course.

You won't have to trade a USB port for ThunderBolt! ThunderBolt supersedes the mini DisplayPort

frega
Jun 20, 2011, 10:23 PM
15" version maybe?

I do yearn for one with a bigger screen.

42streetsdown
Jun 20, 2011, 10:50 PM
15" version maybe?

I do yearn for one with a bigger screen.

No, Apple still wants to differentiate between this and their Pro line.

frjonah
Jun 20, 2011, 11:06 PM

I understand what you mean in terms of currently lacking TB peripherals, but... I would have probably bought a MBA recently to use for tethered photography (Medium Format) which uses FireWire only. That is absolutely not an option with the current "USB only" MBA as a USB->FW bridge is impossible (or so I'm told).

Rumor has it that TB can provide a TB->FW bridge, which would make the 11" MBA the perfect computer for tethered photographers.

This is just one example... I am sure there are many others for similar specialties.

ess5
Jun 20, 2011, 11:15 PM
Hey all,

So I'm currently planning on picking up either a MBA (this next one) or a MBP.
I can't really swallow the price of a 15" MBP, but all the concessions involved in getting a 13" MBP are kind of driving me towards a 13" MBA...if it's gonna be a lil' underwhelming in the graphics dept, it might as well look extra pretty ;)

Question is, especially with these new chips (potentially) being included: exactly *how* gimped is the SB/3000 setup, graphically? I know I'm not gonna be playing Crysis 2 on the thing, but Eve? WoW? Farmville? Pong?

Completely discounting the prospect of playing *any* games on it seems a bit overboard to me...could I get a a realistic approximation of what I can/can't play on it?

fyrefly
Jun 20, 2011, 11:16 PM
You may have seen it running on developer builds prior to version 4, but you can not make the Finder run in DP4 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12735261&postcount=93) or later on Core Solo/Duo machines. It's only compiled in 64-bit, and I'm sure that many other apps will follow. There ARE technical reasons as to why Apple is dropping 32-bit machines.

Interesting... that's the first I've heard and new since last week on the Developer Builds. Thanks for the updated info. Although, imho, of course they want to update the codebase but weird that they'd leave the x86 Finder in Developer Preview 1-3 but not in Developer Preview 4...

Guess maybe it wasn't ready?

I don't know, I think we do have a fair comparison. Primate labs lists the processor in the i5 13" MBP as a 2415 which I believe has a 650/1200 base/turbo on its HD 3000. While the base CPU speeds of the MBP's i5 are higher, the turbo is the same as the turbo of this 1.8 i7. There are some decent tests of that machine here (http://www.techyalert.com/2011/02/25/macbook-pro-2010-vs-macbook-pro-2011/).

I'll admit it seems a little weird to be comparing the 2.3ghz MBP to a 1.8ghz MBA but the turbo speeds for both CPU and GPU are identical which might suggest comparable top end performance if thermals can be kept in a happy place.

Yeah, the thermals will be the thing (as all - like me - who've owned original MBAs with heavy throttling can attest to!).

But yeah, if they manage to fit a 25W CPU/GPU into the 13" model, than the included Intel IGP shouldn't lose much oomph from the 320M. Interesting!

fyrefly
Jun 20, 2011, 11:20 PM
Question is, especially with these new chips (potentially) being included: exactly *how* gimped is the SB/3000 setup, graphically? I know I'm not gonna be playing Crysis 2 on the thing, but Eve? WoW? Farmville? Pong?

Completely discounting the prospect of playing *any* games on it seems a bit overboard to me...could I get a a realistic approximation of what I can/can't play on it?

apdg posted some reference benchmarks (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12795918#post12795918) for the Intel HD 3000 in the 2011 13" MBP. If Apple can fit a 25W Sandy Bridge CPU/GPU into the 13" MBA, then you'll see performance similar to that in those benchmarks.

And if the 11" uses these new chips this thread is based on - and the Graphics can turbo up - I think you'll see a ~20% max drop in gaming performance for things like WoW.

The Intel HD 3000 (even the LV version) should be about on par with the Nvidia 9400m, if not a wee bit better. So look at those for the pretty much "worse case" scenario.

Obviously all casual games are fine. Flash-based (farmville) and otherwise (Plants vs. Zombies! :D ).

dangcjr
Jun 20, 2011, 11:37 PM
I could see that too, but I still need a DVD drive. I play games like The Sims 3 on my MacBook.

You do not need a DVD drive: http://www.direct2drive.com/7777/product/Buy-The-Sims-3-%28Mac%29-Download

Reach9
Jun 20, 2011, 11:38 PM
So is this the end of the MacBook Pro line? Apple has emphasized that the MacBook Air will lead the design for the next generation laptops.
Does this mean my 13" MBP will be a waste when a much cheaper Mac will become more efficient? So in 3 years will it be time to start thinking about selling it?

So at my home i'll have: an iMac, Apple TV (maybe), MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone, and my company's PC laptop. Yikes, so many computing devices for one person.

2IS
Jun 20, 2011, 11:49 PM
Found these links - 320m edges it out...

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-320M.28701.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html

Those are not comparing these new higher performing parts

sparkie7
Jun 21, 2011, 12:25 AM
Backlit keys?

datuk
Jun 21, 2011, 12:39 AM
Built-in hedge-trimmer and espresso-maker?

beangibbs
Jun 21, 2011, 12:41 AM

So what? So what it's a dual core and not a quad core?
It just makes you sound like someone who's just listened to everyone else talk about how great the quad core processor is-not everything in the world needs a goddamned quad core processor.

If you're really that serious about editing in iMovie or Lightroom, and you're not a professional, but you still really want the power, you can buy the MacBook Pro and have the quad core processor. That will do the job.
That or the supercomputers they have that crunch numbers to predict the weather.

I'm sorry, I'm just tired of hearing people gripe about how the Air isn't super powerful. You can only do so much with it.
Would I like it to have a massive SSD and be able to run AutoCAD and Sketchbook Designer 24/7, and actually last for a few years without burning out? Yeah. I'd love to have an Air. But I realize what it's limitations are.

sparkie7
Jun 21, 2011, 12:55 AM
touchscreen keyboard?

42streetsdown
Jun 21, 2011, 12:59 AM
So based on my old (a week ago) guesses, and these new processors here is what I expect to find in the new Airs. These choices are based on prices relative to the current CPUs.

11" MBA Base CPU:
Intel® Core™ i5-2557M Processor (Dual Core, 1.7 GHz(2.7GHz turbo) 3M Cache)Price:$250.00.

11" MBA BTO CPU:
Intel® Core™ i7-2677M Processor (Dual Core, 1.8 GHz(2.9GHz turbo) 4M Cache)Price:$317.00.

13" MBA Base CPU:
Intel® Core™ i7-2629M Processor (Dual Core, 2.1 GHz(3.0GHz turbo) 4M Cache)Price:$311.00.

13" MBA BTO CPU:
Intel® Core™ i7-2649M Processor (Dual Core, 2.3 GHz(3.2GHz turbo) 4M Cache)Price:$346.00.

jamisonbaines
Jun 21, 2011, 01:13 AM
duel?

CFreymarc
Jun 21, 2011, 01:26 AM
In case you've been living in a cave for the last two weeks, with no access to the internet or news:

10.7 is a free upgrade for every Mac purchased on or after 06/06/11!

Thanks! I have been in my parents cellar for the last month. Glad I have five different prepaid credit cards for all the counsel accounts that have been hacked.

CFreymarc
Jun 21, 2011, 01:27 AM

I want chartreuse MacBooks!

CFreymarc
Jun 21, 2011, 01:28 AM
Lion was never going to ship at WWDC...
If it did, by same strange act of god (Yes I would become a religious man if it did) then it would have been early.
Even July is a good month and half earlier than what most people expected when Apple said "Summer".

btw... I'm thinking these new Airs will rock.

I didn't drink that Kool Aide at WWDC. I guess you did.

CFreymarc
Jun 21, 2011, 01:30 AM
I guess once you activate a new Mac (with Lion preinstalled) using your apple id, a free upgrade will be available on your other Macs

Did the CP/M emulator make it in the install DVD or that a third party install?

fyrefly
Jun 21, 2011, 01:51 AM
So based on my old (a week ago) guesses, and these new processors here is what I expect to find in the new Airs. These choices are based on prices relative to the current CPUs.

11" MBA Base CPU:
Intel® Core™ i5-2557M Processor (Dual Core, 1.7 GHz(2.7GHz turbo) 3M Cache)Price:$250.00.

11" MBA BTO CPU:
Intel® Core™ i7-2677M Processor (Dual Core, 1.8 GHz(2.9GHz turbo) 4M Cache)Price:$317.00.

13" MBA Base CPU:
Intel® Core™ i7-2629M Processor (Dual Core, 2.1 GHz(3.0GHz turbo) 4M Cache)Price:$311.00.

13" MBA BTO CPU:
Intel® Core™ i7-2649M Processor (Dual Core, 2.3 GHz(3.2GHz turbo) 4M Cache)Price:$346.00.

Seems reasonable to me. And these CPUs (paired with Thunderbolt and a backlit keyboard, hopefully) will make for some sick machines. :)

macnisse
Jun 21, 2011, 02:08 AM
Yes! :D

tombubi
Jun 21, 2011, 02:13 AM
hope this is true!!

Elrond39
Jun 21, 2011, 02:23 AM
Looks like I'll be (finally) upgrading at about the right time... I'm typing this on a 2006 2GHz Intel Core Duo Macbook, haha! The only real wish I have is a backlit keyboard. I'm still working with a 100GB HDD, so I think I'll manage with a 128GB SSD. :)

The new MacBook Airs will be better in every respect to what I have now (and still enjoy using, mind you), but in a slimmer and sexier packaging.

radiohead14
Jun 21, 2011, 02:41 AM
what could we expect for battery life with these? is at least 8 hours a reasonable guess? if so, then I'm sold

CFreymarc
Jun 21, 2011, 02:58 AM

And first generation iTesla anti-gravity coils. When you drop it, the coils kick in and it floats to the ground. Just recharge those batteries, a 99% mass reduction to cancel out gravity is a big power spike.

NutsNGum
Jun 21, 2011, 03:25 AM
what could we expect for battery life with these? is at least 8 hours a reasonable guess? if so, then I'm sold

X2

Battery life was the main thing stopping me getting the 11". If it goes to 7-8 hours could not give a toss if it loses out in gpu power.

sparkie7
Jun 21, 2011, 03:27 AM
mini-nuclear cell powered? - 70K - 80K hours

Azathoth
Jun 21, 2011, 04:09 AM
I got all excited there when I saw the pictures, assuming the new MBAs had been uncovered, instead it was a CPU announcement.

I wish MR would have used some (stock?) images of CPUs rather than pictures of MBAs for this article - would have been more honest IMO.

Azathoth
Jun 21, 2011, 04:12 AM

I doubt it will be much more than current - same TDP. Arrandale to SB on the MBP didn't increase battery life either - so I would guess same specs as current +/- 1 hour.

AmusedToDeath
Jun 21, 2011, 04:24 AM
Really excited about this refresh. Such a logical replacement for an old MacBook. Here's hoping Apple have found a way to fit a backlit keyboard in these bad boys.

Optimus Frag
Jun 21, 2011, 04:40 AM

Just thinking out loud here.

What will happen if after the new MBA's are released with these new CPU options and the benchmark results start coming in...

And the upgraded CPU in conjuction with the HD3000 make them game even better than the current models....

Will anyone who's dissed the integrated graphics hold up their hand and admit they were wrong?

I doubt it somehow.

insider-man
Jun 21, 2011, 05:04 AM
The new MBA's are already in production and ready to hit the stores. :cool:

:apple:

The Samurai
Jun 21, 2011, 05:36 AM
You going to be putting MW 2 on them? Be nice seeing how they handle it :cool:

For sure, an entire video series will be dedicated to the 13". :D

Obi Wan Kenobi
Jun 21, 2011, 05:52 AM
1 Does anyone know what will these new chips mean for battery life?

2 Does anyone believe that apple will reintroduce backlit keys at this point?

It seems to me this is a new-chip refresh only.

Optimus Frag
Jun 21, 2011, 06:14 AM

My opinion is that it's a chip refresh only and I'm not an expert on chip power usage.

There should be a small increase in battery life with i5 & i7's being more energy efficient as I understand it. That increase would of course be completely knackered by the inclusion of the backlit keys so many here have the raging horn for.

That's why I think they won't appear till the next major refresh to the MBA, with the current gen being less than a year old, that's a way off yet.

Just my opinions you understand. I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

3bs
Jun 21, 2011, 06:43 AM

My opinion is that it's a chip refresh only and I'm not an expert on chip power usage.

There should be a small increase in battery life with i5 & i7's being more energy efficient as I understand it. That increase would of course be completely knackered by the inclusion of the backlit keys so many here have the raging horn for.

That's why I think they won't appear till the next major refresh to the MBA, with the current gen being less than a year old, that's a way off yet.

Just my opinions you understand. I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

you could always just turn the backlit keyboard off unless you need it

Tootles
Jun 21, 2011, 08:12 AM
I hope Apple focuses more on improving the durability of the keyboard than on giving it a backlight.

stanny
Jun 21, 2011, 08:57 AM
Is this processor better than my mid 2009 Macbook PRO 13" C2D? To upgrade from that, with the SSD and all, is that a significant improvement? I mostly use my laptop connected to a external display also, this is fine for that?

NutsNGum
Jun 21, 2011, 09:12 AM
mini-nuclear cell powered? - 70K - 80K hours

Don't fancy changing that battery!

stupidonkey34
Jun 21, 2011, 09:16 AM
Will these new MBA with their "step backward" (other's words not mine) GPU be able to handle Diablo III?

Literally the most taxing thing I will ever do to it.

trims
Jun 21, 2011, 09:24 AM
These choices are based on prices relative to the current CPUs.

13" MBA Base CPU:

13" MBA BTO CPU:

As suggested by someone else recently: I wonder if this means the BTO processor upgrade will be only $35.00? ;)

CharlieY
Jun 21, 2011, 09:55 AM

I'm think I'm also going to wait for the Ivy Bridge Macs. Really dig the thin form factor of the Macbook Airs; heard it was going to be an inspiration for the next-gen MBPs. Thin and powerful? New liquid metal case? If any of the rumors are for real that'll be a dream come true.

MrVinney96
Jun 21, 2011, 10:31 AM
my creditcard is ready

MrVinney96
Jun 21, 2011, 10:32 AM

they hold ALL mac updates 'till lion. and its not just macbook air then, but a new mac pro, macbook and mac mini.:apple:

theSeb
Jun 21, 2011, 10:32 AM

It better have a brush cutter attachment as well

MrVinney96
Jun 21, 2011, 10:50 AM

i would say: if the os and the gpu is 64-bit, then boot in 64-bit.

42streetsdown
Jun 21, 2011, 02:02 PM
As suggested by someone else recently: I wonder if this means the BTO processor upgrade will be only $35.00? ;)

The actually changes in processor price have always been small. apple makes a lot fo money off of BTO they aren't going to change now

jonnysods
Jun 21, 2011, 02:10 PM
Man these are going to fly, and fly off the shelves. I would love one of these instead of my 13" MBP 2011. If it wasn't for the fact that i get 8gb of Ram and bigger storage I would drop it in a heartbeat.

Blondie :)
Jun 21, 2011, 06:16 PM
How much you wanna bet it won't be a $67 upgrade to go from the lower 1.7GHz chip to the 1.8GHz ;)

I'd bet every cent in my bank account haha. My guess is in between 150-200 for upgraded processor

Samsumac
Jun 22, 2011, 06:12 AM
Let's hope there is a corresponding price drop as well. Not having to pay for a graphics chip and smart new competition in this segment, require a small price reduction as well. For the US folk, we pay 550 USD more for a UK 13" Mb air with 4gb Ram, so it really hurts and price does matter....:D

TimDavis
Jun 28, 2011, 05:58 PM
Missed opportunity? You mean Apple not making a high profit margin off the current Core 2 Duo MBAs is missed opportunity? :confused:

Seriously, what average consumer walking into your local Apple store even know what a "Sandry Bridge" is? Forum dwellers on the internet dabbling in tech talk is such a tiny minority in the grander scheme of things.

well said,but its still fun to talk about.

TimDavis
Jun 28, 2011, 06:00 PM
Let's hope there is a corresponding price drop as well. Not having to pay for a graphics chip and smart new competition in this segment, require a small price reduction as well. For the US folk, we pay 550 USD more for a UK 13" Mb air with 4gb Ram, so it really hurts and price does matter....:D

yo canadians pay even more than you do, and our dollar is better than the usd.