PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Dropping Unlimited Data Plan Next Month

MacRumors
Jun 20, 2011, 05:31 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/20/verizon-dropping-unlimited-data-plan-next-month/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/iphone-step1-us-prodselect-verizon-logo.png

Verizon will be dropping its unlimited data option, and transitioning to tiered data plans next month, a Verizon spokeswoman told All Things Digital (http://allthingsd.com/20110620/if-you-want-that-verizon-unlimited-data-plan-you-really-need-to-hurry/?p=88677).
We will move to a more usage based model in July. We'll share more later.We've known for a while (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/01/verizon-to-drop-unlimited-iphone-data-plans-as-soon-as-this-summer/) that the unlimited data plan Verizon has offered since it launched the iPhone 4 was likely to disappear this summer.

One site, DroidLife, claims to have details of the new Verizon plans (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/20/exclusive-tiered-data-plans-headed-to-verizon-july-7-packages-start-at-30-for-2gb/). The site claims these plans will go into effect July 7.
2GB - $30/month
5GB - $50/month
10GB - $80/month

Tethering is an $20/month add-on and includes an additional 2GB of data.

Overages are assessed at $10/GB.For comparison, AT&T's data plans are slightly cheaper:
200MB - $15/month
2GB - $25/month
4GB + Tethering - $45/month

Overages are assessed at $10/GB.AT&T dropped its unlimited data plans last June, just before the iPhone 4 was released, but allowed current unlimited plan subscribers to keep their plans as long as they didn't make any changes. Most notably, unlimited data users can't sign up for a tethering plan to create a portable wi-fi hotspot.

Article Link: Verizon Dropping Unlimited Data Plan Next Month (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/20/verizon-dropping-unlimited-data-plan-next-month/)

SteveLV702
Jun 20, 2011, 05:35 PM
I heard they not going to have those prices my source claims they gonna offer $25/mo for Unlimited or $59.99 for Family Unlimited (shared data) to share among up to 5 devices :)

jayhawk11
Jun 20, 2011, 05:36 PM
You mean that we'll be able to pay more for a slower, less-capable network?

Sign me up!

I hate AT&T as much as the next person, but Verizon truly sucks on pricing.

asdf542
Jun 20, 2011, 05:42 PM
Do these plans include 4G/LTE data?

fun173
Jun 20, 2011, 05:46 PM
This is ********. Will the plans also take effect for customers who already have unlimited data?

7o7munoz7o7
Jun 20, 2011, 05:46 PM
this is fine with me, as long as they grandfather us unlimited folks in. I use 2x as much data with my iphone on VZW as i did with ATT because i ACTUALLY HAVE SERVICE when i go places....ATT is cheaper because their coverage is crap and their customer service (or lack of) is even worse then their coverage. Do what you do VZW!

ECUpirate44
Jun 20, 2011, 05:49 PM
This is ********. Will the plans also take effect for customers who already have unlimited data?

No, you're grandfathered into unlimited.

Michael CM1
Jun 20, 2011, 05:50 PM
Is this for ALL data, including 4G connections? I was kind of livid at first since I'm looking to switch to Verizon next year when my AT&T contract ends. But then I recalled that there are a few 4G phones on Verizon and that network keeps on growing, so it would make sense to charge a little more.

I think they're missing out on not having a $15 plan because AT&T has two iPhone customers at that point just because it's that cheap (hi mom, dad). We're talking people who send a few emails and maybe look stuff up on Safari when on the 3G network. Not everybody needs to download a 10GB app over the cellular network. I'm not concerned since my folks are going to stick with AT&T since it doesn't suck where they live, but Verizon might want to listen to me!

appleguy123
Jun 20, 2011, 06:00 PM
This belongs on the front page for maximum bitching capacity!

WiiDSmoker
Jun 20, 2011, 06:03 PM
Of course they are. They all fall likes dominoes.

ablack774
Jun 20, 2011, 06:19 PM
I really feel sorry for all the Americans who get absolutely SCREWED with the pricing of their plans.

The iPhone is the only Apple product that is better value for us europeans than the Americans.

wordoflife
Jun 20, 2011, 06:20 PM
This belongs on the front page for maximum bitching capacity!

Agreed.
Well, I'm sticking with AT&T. There's no reason for me to pay Verizon more money for slower data service.
Haha, Apple needs to make a Virgin Mobile iPhone :p

dave420
Jun 20, 2011, 06:30 PM
I really feel sorry for all the Americans who get absolutely SCREWED with the pricing of their plans.

The iPhone is the only Apple product that is better value for us europeans than the Americans.

Yea these plans don't look all that great. At least when AT&T moved to tiered data they offered an option that was lower than the current unlimited pricing. It looks like Verizon is charging the same price but giving less. The cheaper options might not give you much usage, but they at least give a cheap alternative when you are forced to have a data plan.

motoracer1486
Jun 20, 2011, 06:54 PM
So thankful for Virgin Mobile. $25/month gets me a LG Optimus V with Android 2.2, 300 minutes, unlimited text/data.

wordoflife
Jun 20, 2011, 07:01 PM
So thankful for Virgin Mobile. $25/month gets me a LG Optimus V with Android 2.2, 300 minutes, unlimited text/data.

I hope Virgin Mobile realizes the business they are getting by offering "unlimited data". I put that in quotes because there's a 5GB soft cap ... but still!
Honestly, it would be sick if Apple made an iPhone that could run on Virgin.

Can anyone imagine what Verizon and AT&T's reaction would be??

This is a very nice article about the price of SMS. I would certainly try to glance at it if you could.
http://gthing.net/the-true-price-of-sms-messages
Basically, the price of SMS is dirt cheap. And realistically, it should only cost carriers a couple bucks (no more than $5) to transfer a couple GBs.

Virgin Mobile knows what they are doing. I wish they had the iPhone. AT&T and Verizon would cry.

JoshJosh117
Jun 20, 2011, 07:14 PM
This is what I get for waiting to buy an iPhone 5?

Gemütlichkeit
Jun 20, 2011, 07:19 PM
Why Verizon can't match ATT's 200mb limit is beyond me.

my total bill for the iphone on ATT is ~$71 thanks to their tiered plans... no way verizon can touch that.

zachkolk
Jun 20, 2011, 07:41 PM
This makes me mad. I'm gonna hold out for the iPhone 5 as long as I can, but I'm going to get an iPhone 4 before I get a 5 without unlimited data. Hopefully there's at least a couple of days where the 5 is being sold on VZN with unlimited plans.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 20, 2011, 07:45 PM
This makes me mad. I'm gonna hold out for the iPhone 5 as long as I can, but I'm going to get an iPhone 4 before I get a 5 without unlimited data. Hopefully there's at least a couple of days where the 5 is being sold on VZN with unlimited plans.

I think you can get like a veer (or some other small palm phone) off contract for like 60-70 bucks and you can use that to hold on to an unlimited contract.

steeler
Jun 20, 2011, 08:23 PM
I believe it was a Verizon executive (or maybe just another representative) that stated they were considering family shared data plans. They are not mentioned in the leaked information and don't help individual users, but for families, depending on the pricing, it would be very nice to have a bucket of data to share instead of shelling out $30 per smartphone regardless of usage -- as long as the minimum family plan is closer to $40 than $60.

jelew1985
Jun 20, 2011, 08:41 PM

Till you upgrade, then you loose the unlimited.

ECUpirate44
Jun 20, 2011, 08:43 PM

Right.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 20, 2011, 09:41 PM
These companies should keep unlimited data plans but make the person using it pay for it instead of everyone else.

I don't paying for a 10GB plan because I need just a little more than 200MB but have no option in between. Sure if you use 10GB then perhaps the price is good. But the carrier can only provide such a "good price" because so many of us are paying for it and not using much of it at all.

And then of course there is the text message fee racket they got going on as well. They are all price fixing criminals.

budfoot
Jun 20, 2011, 09:45 PM
I feel sorry for you AT&T and VZW folks. I have unlimited calls/data/texts on Sprint for 99 bucks.

eNcrypTioN
Jun 20, 2011, 09:47 PM
wow Verizon is screwing over their customers. Not suprised.

KTF
Jun 20, 2011, 10:58 PM
wow Verizon is screwing over their customers. Not suprised.+1 Agree With You ... More Carriers Better Competition Better Price:rolleyes:

jelew1985
Jun 20, 2011, 11:47 PM
Right.

Which is bs cause AT&T allows customers to keep their unlimited plans regardless if they upgrade or not.

wordoflife
Jun 20, 2011, 11:51 PM

Yep. And they're charging you for the lube.

notjustjay
Jun 20, 2011, 11:55 PM

Boy, you're going to be shocked then when you find out how much Canadians are paying...

wordoflife
Jun 21, 2011, 01:09 AM
Boy, you're going to be shocked then when you find out how much Canadians are paying...

That too, being stuck in a 3 year contract :(

Corban987
Jun 21, 2011, 01:13 AM
this is crazy
You pay so much for so little
In Asia it's about $10 for unlimited data. As an example, I pay $55 a month for unlimited data, no rules on tethering, and unknown amount of minutes and texts that I never exceed so don't know what the limit is. Also, the phone companies provide free wifi everywhere so that the iPhone connects to the wifi points anywhere you go (FREE) to reduce bandwidth on the 3G network.

Wondersnite
Jun 21, 2011, 04:03 AM
Really?? Lol, data plans are horrid in the US. Pretty soon they'll ask you to sell your soul too.

In Portugal, Europe we have only two data plans: €15 (≈$20) for unlimited with max speed from 1GB, €30 (≈$40) for unlimited plan.

Why can't American carriers keep it simple?

foodog
Jun 21, 2011, 07:00 AM
I feel sorry for you AT&T and VZW folks. I have unlimited calls/data/texts on Sprint for 99 bucks.

Yes but you don't have an iPhone. I tried the EVO with Sprint loved the service hated the phone.

beany boy
Jun 21, 2011, 07:27 AM
So Sprint doesn't need to oppose the AT&T/T-Mobile merger since they will probably be getting more customers then they know what to do with.

beany boy
Jun 21, 2011, 07:39 AM
Can you hear me now?

toddybody
Jun 21, 2011, 07:55 AM
Capping data was bad enough when AT&T did it...but at least they introduced a 50% cheaper price point for light users. Verizon is just slapping their customer's in the face.

I was hoping to jump ship when my AT&T contract is up...not anymore. In light of America's economic climate, they still have the nerve to severely disenfranchise their customer base? Go F^*# yourself Verizon.

Le Big Mac
Jun 21, 2011, 08:08 AM
These companies should keep unlimited data plans but make the person using it pay for it instead of everyone else.

I agree, although the unlimited plan would likely be outrageously expensive because the people who would buy it are the ones that caused AT&T to drop the unlimited option--i.e., folks downloading tons of videos etc.

Centient
Jun 21, 2011, 08:54 AM
Capping data was bad enough when AT&T did it...but at least they introduced a 50% cheaper price point for light users. Verizon is just slapping their customer's in the face.

I was hoping to jump ship when my AT&T contract is up...not anymore. In light of America's economic climate, they still have the nerve to severely disenfranchise their customer base? Go F^*# yourself Verizon.

Assuming this is true, I'm really surprised by these figures. I honestly didn't think VZ would go out of their way to make AT&T look generous by comparison. Shows how much I know.

I suppose the only thing we don't know about yet is what the family data share plans look like. Perhaps that's an area where VZ shows a competitive advantage...?

carlgo
Jun 21, 2011, 09:22 AM
I'm not paying for weiner shows and stupid-girl 18 hours per day phone use.

Maybe get an unlocked phone and pre-pay? Or do they restrict that in some way?

ArcaneDevice
Jun 21, 2011, 09:37 AM
Being charged for tethering is a ****ing joke.

As if it matters whether you are checking your email through your app or through your laptop mail program.

Another case of the US being screwed by the telecommunications industry. No wonder the rest of the world is jumping ahead.

Arcadie
Jun 21, 2011, 09:49 AM
Buy your sprint stock quick before every one else figures out ATT customers who jump ship wont be going to verizon..

Tha Professor
Jun 21, 2011, 10:01 AM
I pay 5 bucks for 150 MB/month, tethering included... perfect for the on the go connectivity, I am not watching YouTube on the bus anyways...

GSMiller
Jun 21, 2011, 10:05 AM
Dang, and I thought the $30 5GB plan through my wireless company was overpriced.

wordoflife
Jun 21, 2011, 10:55 AM
Dang, and I thought the $30 5GB plan through my wireless company was overpriced.

It is!
It doesn't cost the carrier more than a couple dollars to transfer a few GB's.

dannsh
Jun 21, 2011, 10:57 AM
Just more evidence for me not to have an iPhone.

JohnyMac
Jun 21, 2011, 11:00 AM
Was just going to give my iPhone 3G to the wife, then decided maybe I would get her a new one from Verizon.......<scrrreeccchhhhhh> Not gonna happen, nop, not going to do it now.
Greed...OMG, they are apparently trying to make up the money the lost by having ATT get the first iPhones.....

MacVixen
Jun 21, 2011, 11:09 AM

Really? AT&T let me upgrade to iPhone4 and still keep my unlimited plan.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 21, 2011, 11:20 AM
It is!
It doesn't cost the carrier more than a couple dollars to transfer a few GB's.

False. It is text messages that are that case. Data on the other had it does cost the carriers money.

Data for cell network is not exactly cheap.

A few years ago 5GB per month was about the break even point for carriers. 5GB cost them about 30 bucks for the cell network. That is why those people sucking down huge amounts of data were a huge issues. It was a loss to them. the 100GB users AT&T would really say do not let the door hit you on the way out. Let someone else deal with the money pit.

Biggest problem I have is carriers are not increasing their cap at said price point with time. It should go up. Just like they keep increasing our broadband speed at the same price point. I do worry that with the caps there they are putting some long term money in the works as they know it will not be long before average usage is going to be ramming 250+gigs a month and they know it. That number should be adjusted as well to account for increases in average usage over time which is exponentially increasing.

Plutonius
Jun 21, 2011, 11:27 AM

They will go to tiered pricing (I expect all the carriers to go that route) but I'm very doubtful that they will charge these prices. I think they are just trying to scare people into getting a phone now on the unlimited plan and I think that the actual monthly prices will be similar to AT+T.

gramirez2012
Jun 21, 2011, 11:55 AM
Hahahaha! I'm glad I'm grandfathered into my AT&T unlimited plan. ISP's and cellular providers will ALL have data caps soon.

toddybody
Jun 21, 2011, 11:56 AM
If Verizon wants to be competitive...match AT&T's tier pricing/data and provide FREE tethering.

There is NO justification for charging us to use our finite data via tethering...its the same thing as mobile browsing (given the heavy data consuming apps and sites out there).

Theyre forcing me to make my next phone a ghetto pre-paid...well, at least it goes with my pimped out Dodge Neon and neck tattoo

Hunts121
Jun 21, 2011, 12:51 PM
There may be hope (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/21/current-verizon-customers-wont-be-affected-by-tiered-data-only-new-customers-and-lines/) yet...for current customers at least

wordoflife
Jun 21, 2011, 12:59 PM
If Verizon wants to be competitive...match AT&T's tier pricing/data and provide FREE tethering.

There is NO justification for charging us to use our finite data via tethering...its the same thing as mobile browsing (given the heavy data consuming apps and sites out there).

Theyre forcing me to make my next phone a ghetto pre-paid...well, at least it goes with my pimped out Dodge Neon and neck tattoo

I completely agree with you. How stupid to charge for tethering when we are already capped?! I'm not even sure why they are 'upping' AT&T's plan by $5. I read that Verizon is charging the extra $5 bucks because of their "better network". By that count, shouldn't their unlimited data have be more expensive than AT&T? It was the same price. They were both $30.

It's like Verizon isn't even trying.

Right there with you on the ghetto pre-paid lol.
Luckily though, they actually have some really nice pre-paid smartphones.

Peterson8765
Jun 21, 2011, 01:06 PM
To be honest, I don't even go past 2 gigs in a month, I manage to use about 1.5GB on moderate 3G use on my iPhone.

Wicked1
Jun 21, 2011, 01:14 PM

Only until you renew, once you renew that option goes away

beany boy
Jun 21, 2011, 01:19 PM
Existing customers will be grandfathered into their current plan and should be unaffected by the new rate plans. Droid-Life reports that current subscribers should have the option to upgrade to a new handset without being forced to give up their unlimited plans.

Read more: http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20072716-85/verizon-to-deploy-tiered-data-plans-july-7/#ixzz1Pw54jyDC

Wicked1
Jun 21, 2011, 01:35 PM

For now you do, and You do not have an iPhone :eek:

AT&T's pricing is better than what VZ will be, besides I have great service with AT&T I will never go back to Verizon, I would rather go without a phone or go Pre Paid then go back to them

aliensporebomb
Jun 21, 2011, 01:52 PM
Isn't it weird that at a time when all the carriers are rolling out restrictions in data use, Apple rolls out a major OS release that more or less demands unlimited data.

mlblacy
Jun 21, 2011, 02:28 PM
Verizon absolutely sucks. Why everyone was so excited when the iPhone came to VZ is beyond me. I waited too, and now finally have an iPhone, but am not surprised at all. How this whole cloud thing is exactly going to work is beyond me... when ATT, VZ, Comcast and everyone else is going to meter the data out, and charge the holy crap for every byte.

Peteman100
Jun 21, 2011, 02:57 PM
Existing customers will be grandfathered into their current plan and should be unaffected by the new rate plans. Droid-Life reports that current subscribers should have the option to upgrade to a new handset without being forced to give up their unlimited plans.

Read more: http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20072716-85/verizon-to-deploy-tiered-data-plans-july-7/#ixzz1Pw54jyDC

But will the plans still be valid if we upgrade to a phone with LTE?

applefanDrew
Jun 21, 2011, 10:07 PM
Verizon is way to expensive imho. I'll stick with ATT even if I don't see LTE in my area for another 5 years. lol :D

BigDukeSix
Jun 21, 2011, 10:31 PM
VZ is really pissing me off. We have a family plan with 2 lines. My wife got her IPhone, I was waiting for either some sort of tiered family plan, or a limited plan at lower price such as they had before. I cannot afford to pay $30.00 per line for a total of $60.00 on top of my regular service. At this rate, I will never own a smart phone...
And, before someone tells me to switch, VZ is the only carrier that has the coverage in the areas I need it.
BASTARDS!

mikelegacy
Jun 21, 2011, 11:17 PM
I bet VZW doesn't offer Grandfathering. That don't have to and they are kind of douches.

res1233
Jun 22, 2011, 07:08 AM
Isn't it weird that at a time when all the carriers are rolling out restrictions in data use, Apple rolls out a major OS release that more or less demands unlimited data.

I wonder if this is Apple's way of saying "Figure something out fast, because the tide's about to come in". iOS 5 could very well be quite the data hog with all that data being sent between devices. I guess we'll have to see.

senseless
Jun 22, 2011, 07:42 AM
How much data is used if I don't download videos or music? I can use an Iphone for syncing calendars, GPS and minor web browsing. TV I can watch at home.

BigDukeSix
Jun 22, 2011, 07:50 AM
How much data is used if I don't download videos or music? I can use an Iphone for syncing calendars, GPS and minor web browsing. TV I can watch at home.

So far, my wife has never used more than 200MB. She send occasional pics, some light websurfing, and her GPS for a running program. So, VZ is really boning us by having their upcoming lowest level plan for 2GB cost $25.00.
I wish they would bring back something similar to this plan that they had last fall:
Smartphone owners will choose between $15 for 150MB with $0.10 / MB overage, or $29.99 for unlimited access. This stands in contrast to AT&T, which offers another 50MB (for a total of 200MB) at the $15 price level or 2GB for $25 with no unlimited option.

AwakenedLands
Jun 22, 2011, 09:10 AM
The "unlimited" plan never was unlimited. What the hell are people using their phones for to transfer 5GB of data?

I use my phone frequently, but not a super heavy user. I am on Verizon's $15/150mb plan, and only use about 50mb/mo. If I include my Wifi data as well, since everywhere I go has Wifi, I'm about 400mb/mo. Of this 50mb/mo, half is from IMO with 2 IM accounts open. Sadly that program uses so much data it's pathetic.

NikeTalk
Jun 22, 2011, 02:25 PM
200 MB is joke.

It's funny how everything is going towards data oriented and now the caps wanna be introduced. Caps which don't make any sense at that. The wool isn't over my head. I showed as many friends as possible how to go from 2GB to unlimited on AT&T. Eff em.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 22, 2011, 02:46 PM
I bet VZW doesn't offer Grandfathering. That don't have to and they are kind of douches.

They announced they are grandfathering but from what I have read today they have no 200 MB plan. it is 2gigs for 30 bucks is the lowest plan.

200 MB is joke.

It's funny how everything is going towards data oriented and now the caps wanna be introduced. Caps which don't make any sense at that. The wool isn't over my head. I showed as many friends as possible how to go from 2GB to unlimited on AT&T. Eff em.

AT&T is closing those loop holes. I also believe they killed the old edge iPhone trick.

Also for most people 200 MB is fine. Big time if you spend a large chunk of your time in range of wifi. My usage varries quite a bit on my phone from 10 megs one month to 1 gig the next but it very depended on if I am in range of Wifi.

For my sister on her iPhone a high month for her is 150megs but that is because 95% of the time she is in range of wifi.

winston1236
Jun 22, 2011, 08:32 PM
wow not cheap, i guess since att gave me a free microcell which gives me 5 bars at my house ill stay with them. open mouth insert foot

notjustjay
Jun 23, 2011, 10:24 AM
200 MB is joke.

Well, my plan is with Fido in Canada, I get to pay $25/month for 500 megs, and that's on a 3-year contract too. On the other hand, so far I don't think I've ever gone past 300 megs. Most of my playing is done on WiFi.

200 megs may be "enough" for people but that's only if they're being relatively conservative, and it causes them to always be looking over their shoulder ("Ooh! A new app to buy! Oh, but it's 30 megs... I should wait until later when I'm on WiFi") and it causes them to be very wary of anything to do with streaming audio or video, for example. I even refrain from watching too many YouTube videos on 3G.

It's like leasing a car with a limit of 10,000 miles per year. It's probably enough for most people, if you're careful, and if you need more mileage you could make arrangements to carpool or take the bus whenever you can. But who wants to have to do that?

ChocolateOne
Jun 23, 2011, 04:30 PM

thats great but no iphone... :rolleyes:

ECUpirate44
Jun 23, 2011, 04:35 PM
Only until you renew, once you renew that option goes away

Right.

BigDukeSix
Jun 23, 2011, 04:47 PM
The "unlimited" plan never was unlimited. What the hell are people using their phones for to transfer 5GB of data?

I use my phone frequently, but not a super heavy user. I am on Verizon's $15/150mb plan, and only use about 50mb/mo. If I include my Wifi data as well, since everywhere I go has Wifi, I'm about 400mb/mo. Of this 50mb/mo, half is from IMO with 2 IM accounts open. Sadly that program uses so much data it's pathetic.

Oh how I wish they would bring that pricing back again. I would be golden then.

omvs
Jun 27, 2011, 07:28 AM

Pandora use for me - its the case of slow & steady burn.

I was trying to figure out if I could fit into the smaller AT&T dataplan to save some cash, but after checking the datausage, I realized I was blowing through 3-4GB/month.