Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
So, the SuperDrive can write to CDs and play them. However, it won't read DVDs. We're talking about officially licensed ones and not homemade burned stuff. I've tried two so far.

I've already repaired disk permissions and verified them afterwards:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
%)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK.
Mounting Disk

1 HFS volume checked
Volume passed verification

I've also reset the PRAM and NVRAM with no luck.

It doesn't even appear in Disk Utility, but it still works...

SONY DVD RW DW-U10A:

Firmware Revision: A43h
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 8192 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: No

If someone knows about firmware that can fix the problem, can you give me details on how to apply it? That's unless it's the usual DMG format of course.

By the way, this used to be a school computer, which could have a lot to do with the problem. Half of iLife was already missing, and the cache was a mess. It's running 10.4.11 still.

Terminal commands are well welcomed.

Attachments

• du.png
    du.png
    173.1 KB · Views: 194

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Do you have access to installer media? If this was a school computer, it is quite possible that key components were stripped from the OS by their IT department to prevent forms of tampering. I have run into this with G5 towers a friend had purchased from schools in the past. I would fix one component, to find something else missing later on.

But before that, have you attempted to boot from a DVD installer? It is also possible that the installed drive is not able to read DVD media because of dirt, hardware issues, or similar.

Is that device output from System Profiler, or disk utility?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
This is a slightly common problem with some G4 iMac drives that has lots of hours on them. I haven't figured it out yet, but two out of four of my G4 iMac drives stopped reading all dvds. I attribute it to dust buildup or poor quality laser that starts to malfunction. Either way, I've found no cure but a complete drive replacement.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
This is a slightly common problem with some G4 iMac drives that has lots of hours on them. I haven't figured it out yet, but two out of four of my G4 iMac drives stopped reading all dvds. I attribute it to dust buildup or poor quality laser that starts to malfunction. Either way, I've found no cure but a complete drive replacement.

It appears you are correct too. After reading up more on these drives, it appears that failure rates of that particular model Sony drive are quite high (both Mac and PC systems).

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Do you have access to installer media? If this was a school computer, it is quite possible that key components were stripped from the OS by their IT department to prevent forms of tampering. I have run into this with G5 towers a friend had purchased from schools in the past. I would fix one component, to find something else missing later on.

But before that, have you attempted to boot from a DVD installer? It is also possible that the installed drive is not able to read DVD media because of dirt, hardware issues, or similar.

Is that device output from System Profiler, or disk utility?

I tried to install Leopard on it, but it wouldn't read the disk I burned. I sold my copy to buy the iPhone 4. :rolleyes: I have no disks, except grey ones of Tiger for my MBP.

It's plugged in by the Ethernet, so I can't use Remote OS X Installer.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
I tried to install Leopard on it, but it wouldn't read the disk I burned. I sold my copy to buy the iPhone 4. :rolleyes: I have no disks, except grey ones of Tiger for my MBP.

It's plugged in by the Ethernet, so I can't use Remote OS X Installer.

so better buy the disc back again if you want leopard on your G4 iMac

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Ya, the superdrive in one of my 17" iMac G4's went crazy too. I think there were some serious issues with those Pioneer drives

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You really think I want to buy it back after selling it for $162.50?! No, thanks. I'll just do a FireWire cable install instead.

Remember, the source and target Mac must both be the same CPU type. You can't have a Intell Macbook install Leopard to a G4 iMac's internal drive. The Leopard Installer will force the drive to be formatted to GUID, which is not boot able on PPC Macs.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Remember, the source and target Mac must both be the same CPU type. You can't have a Intell Macbook install Leopard to a G4 iMac's internal drive. The Leopard Installer will force the drive to be formatted to GUID, which is not boot able on PPC Macs.

Ahhh, yeah, you're right. How about if I tried it on the G5? I'll go check its drive specs.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yeah, this is what my G5 drive is. I'll try it then.

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D:

Firmware Revision: A606
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2000 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.