PDA

View Full Version : LOVE MY adonit Folio

Cheffy Dave
Jun 20, 2011, 07:31 PM
I have been using my adonit folio for the past week, and I have to say it has made my beloved iPad 1 infinitely more defined.
I am now able to incline the screen to a more defined angle, the blue tooth keyboard,is attached,much better than using the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard,albeit a little smaller, it works for my fat fingers:rolleyes:
It shuts off the Bluetooth Keyboard when closed,basically it makes my i Pad,almost a MBA 11"
I just wanted to say how enamored I am with this case/folio, and my wife is looking forward to the Pad 2 version
Check it out here;
http://adonit.net/product/1

TOYSTRY
Jun 20, 2011, 07:55 PM
Puts the ZAGG to shame. Interested in the iPad 2version.

SchneiderMan
Jun 20, 2011, 09:00 PM
That looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

h00ligan
Jun 21, 2011, 01:33 AM
Maybe they well get it out before iPad 3. That's a big maybe though.

Lenow
Jun 24, 2011, 03:14 PM
I got an email from the Adonit site saying that they expect the new iPad 2 case to be announced next week. From the reviews, it looks great. I wonder how long before an iPad 3 and whether the $100 for a new case this late in the game is worth it? For those who use the iPad 1 case, any more feedback would be great.

h00ligan
Jun 24, 2011, 03:33 PM
I got an email from the Adonit site saying that they expect the new iPad 2 case to be announced next week. From the reviews, it looks great. I wonder how long before an iPad 3 and whether the $100 for a new case this late in the game is worth it? For those who use the iPad 1 case, any more feedback would be great.

Thx

TOYSTRY
Jun 29, 2011, 12:26 AM
It's available for sale tomorrow at 9am PST.

h00ligan
Jun 29, 2011, 02:06 AM
Thx for the update!

h00ligan
Jun 29, 2011, 04:49 PM
I just purchased the keyboard case for iPad 2. The shipping is really silly IMO. $5 for 14 day, FOURTEEN DAY. To get it in a more reasonable time us $15-20. 20% of te item cost for shipping is too much. 14 days is way too long.

So. First off they need a better shipping setup. I certainly hope this is worth it. I have been trying to find the right keyboard since iPad 1.

I will post a proper review, maybe video when I receive it, since not very many seem to have it.

bobright
Jun 29, 2011, 07:33 PM
It's available for sale tomorrow at 9am PST.

Do you have a link for the iPad 2v?

h00ligan
Jun 29, 2011, 11:37 PM
It's on their site under writer..hit the drop down.

NewZealandMatt
Jul 5, 2011, 10:05 PM
Received my Adonit Writer for iPad 2 and I'm really impressed so far. Build quality is really nice, keyboard is solid, and the whole thing has a great 'premium' feel to it. Keyboard is cramped even compared to the on-screen keyboard, but it only took me a couple of minutes to get used to it. It does add considerable weight to the iPad, but I consider that a fair trade-off given that the keyboard is metal and not plastic.

My only gripes are that I wish the magnets kept the folio more securely closed, and the space bar and backspace keys were bigger. But the closure thing seems to be an issue common to every case that uses the internal magnets - they're just not designed to hold anything closed. So all in all, I recommend this one VERY highly.

MAGNUStm
Jul 6, 2011, 02:37 PM
This case looks promising. Can't beat the price either; $50.

http://store.micgadget.com/292-aluminium-keyboard-buddy-case-for-ipad-2.html

h00ligan
Jul 6, 2011, 03:18 PM
meh, I'm annoyed. Mine was set for delivery today (way faster than 15 day) but the postman apparently thought that a small knock on a door and waiting .5 seconds was enough effort to deliver it.. so now I have to fetch it. I may try this afternoon but I don't think it will be ready until tomorrow.

Until then, I shall review the pictures provided :)

h00ligan
Jul 6, 2011, 03:20 PM
This case looks promising. Can't beat the price either; $50.

http://store.micgadget.com/292-aluminium-keyboard-buddy-case-for-ipad-2.html

That case looks like a knockoff of zaggmate... which has a whole set of issues.

I am concerned about the folio after reading the above, particularly that the keyboard is that cramped.

eg2007
Jul 6, 2011, 11:55 PM
All the keyboard cases for the iPad are somewhat cramped. It's the only downside of trying to add a keyboard case. The only full sized ones are the external bluetooth keyboards. I've tried the Zagg and a ton of others. The Zagg and the knockoff Zagg someone posted above are not worth it IMO. I'm curious about the Clamcase, but until then, this Adonit Writer really does a great job for me. It's a nice all in one solution. Sure, the keyboard is cramped like all the others, but it's also a aluminum keyboard, which is so much nicer than the plastic or rubber keyboards.

h00ligan
Jul 7, 2011, 12:24 AM
Well, I am looking forward to it. Of like to be able to use the iPad for some client productivity. Rdc is way better than on a netbook so a good keyboard case would be nice.

techdude6693
Jul 7, 2011, 12:26 AM
I'd love to see a folio case that can hold the iPad 2 and a wireless apple keyboard. I like the idea of having the keyboard built-in, but I just prefer the Apple Keyboard because its so comfortable to type on.

Until that comes out, I'll keep using my iPad 2 stand and my keyboard separately

TC25
Jul 7, 2011, 06:05 AM
I've used the following keyboard/folio cases with my iPad1 and iPad2.

ClamCase - Nice keyboard but heavy and I thought the quality was middle of the road. (SOLD)
ZAGGMate - Nice keyboard, but a bit of a kludge to use. (SOLD)
Kensington - Rubbery keyboard and no Shift key on the right side of the keyboard. (RETURNED)
Sena - Gorgeous case, dreadful keyboard, i.e., same one as on the Kensington. (RETURNED)

Adonit - Smallest of the keyboards, but, for me, the best compromise.
Apple BT Keyboard - While I like the size and feel of it, it's as kludgey to set up as the ZAGGmate. I carry it and my iPad2 in a Waterfield iPad Wallet with shoulder strap.

I agree with techdude6693, the best folio would be one that could hold an Apple BT keyboard, but until that comes out, I'll use the Adonit at work and the Apple BT Keyboard/Waterfield iPad Wallet combination when traveling.

h00ligan
Jul 7, 2011, 07:07 PM
the ado nit keyboard as of right now is not what i consider a good solution, at all. it is TINY, even compared to the zagg, and it flexes pretty brutally. for me, so far, I am extremely disappointed as far as first impressions go. I can probably type faster on the soft keyboard, they sacrificed too much in the design imo.

obviously will give it a bit more time, but it's like typing on a ****ing blackberry keyboard, way too small unless the user is 5 years old.

h00ligan
Jul 7, 2011, 10:14 PM
just an update, I keep trying to use this but really, it just doesn't fit. The keyboard is so small that even in typing this post, i managed to somehow hit a button that turned off the ipad...and it wasn't the lock.

Such a pity, better form factor than the zagg, way worse keyboard experience.

i have thin fingers too, but long as I am tall.

Just a heads up for others. I have already submitted a return request, I will never get used to this, it's smaller than any netbook keyboard I have used... including the awful mini 9 keyboard.

SchneiderMan
Jul 7, 2011, 11:52 PM
I've got mixed feelings about the Writer. I fear that there may be more cons than positives. I haven't had the chance to fully use it yet but those are my first impressions. The packaging is pretty amazing though :D

h00ligan
Jul 8, 2011, 01:29 AM
The packaging was well designed, and the writer is even very pretty as an object. It's a shame function doesn't follow form.

TC25
Jul 8, 2011, 03:32 AM
Given the design, there was no way to make the keyboard bigger. Clearly, adonit opted to make their solution only as big as the plastic frame that holds the iPad2. Works for some, not for others.

h00ligan
Jul 8, 2011, 05:37 PM
Given the design, there was no way to make the keyboard bigger. Clearly, adonit opted to make their solution only as big as the plastic frame that holds the iPad2. Works for some, not for others.

I don't agree with this, the issue is not just width (which they sacrificed for a wider keyboard bezel vs say, the zagg) but also the height of the keys and spacing.

TC25
Jul 8, 2011, 07:16 PM
I don't agree with this, the issue is not just width (which they sacrificed for a wider keyboard bezel vs say, the zagg) but also the height of the keys and spacing.
How could they change the spacing without making the entire case bigger?

SchneiderMan
Jul 8, 2011, 07:54 PM
So far I'm loving the form and function. I'll have a review up tomorrow.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6020/5916700555_c97e5e7e87_o.jpg

rirawin
Jul 9, 2011, 05:39 PM
The problem about this case which I hope someone can answer is if I want to draw is there anyway I can remove the keyboard for less bulk?. I see from the photos you can take the Ipad out for gaming but that will leave it unprotected.

TC25
Jul 9, 2011, 06:19 PM
...is there anyway I can remove the keyboard for less bulk?.

No.

h00ligan
Jul 10, 2011, 12:05 PM
How could they change the spacing without making the entire case bigger?

I don't know how to answer that other than suggesting you look at the keyboard zagg uses. It's probably not spacing as much as size.. and the zaggmate (which already has a cramped keyboard) manages to feel downright spacious. I can only assume this is due to the added bezel, as I stated before. The zaggmate goes edge to edge on the keyboard. When you are shrinking a keyboard, even a 10 mm can be a big difference in feel.

On a side note, I have not heard back from adonit yet about my return request.

Look at the above photo and then the below.. they are both the width of the ipad, but clearly drastically different in size and use. Again, the flex is equally disturbing. I am a light fingered guy, I don't hammer my keys - anything in the middle bows the keyboard, and due to the size, touch typing is impossible *for me*

Another issue, the plastic case portion feels very fragile to me. It flexes when inserting and removing the ipad. I would think with heavy use this will eventually warp or break the very thin plastic above the screen.

Finally, I think the case weighs too much for what it is, it's also awkward to slide into position. One may be tempted to think the case can be opened and just happens, but the reality is that it is a much clunkier solution than that.

Ultimately, if using on a hard surface, the zaggmate is a better solution imho, providing you don't have a rear skin that gets in the way.. and if you look at my post on the zaggmate, you will see I am not particularly a fan of that case. I had really hoped the adonit would be much better than it is. Not attempting to be cruel or rude here, but it seems it was designed by someone without much industrial design experience... it just doesn't work imo - which is completely the opposite of what I thought when viewing product shots!

http://goodgadgetbadgadget.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/a1cf5_Zaggmate-Keyboard-2.jpg - image from goodgadgetbadgadget.com

TC25
Jul 10, 2011, 01:36 PM
The reason the Adonit keyboard is not as wide as the ZAGGMate is because of the hinges the Adonit uses to connect the keyboard to the iPad frame.

I'm not defending them, just explaining. I find it humorous that you'd accuse the product of being 'designed by someone without much industrial design experience.'. I like the ZaggMate keyboard, too, but I understand why the Adonit is the way it is. Clearly, it doesn't work for everyone.

h00ligan
Jul 10, 2011, 02:15 PM
I'm not particularly sure why my observation would be humourous.. however, as stated, I don't particularly like the zaggmate either. It has a host of issues.. however, the keyboard is dramatically superior.

I'm also not sure why the hinge, which is much higher, would preclude a full width keyboard - perhaps integrity...but there is sufficient space so I doubt that is the case. It would appear they wanted a sturdier surround.. but that tradeoff led to some issues.

As far as industrial design.. fair enough I guess.. maybe they are very experienced and didn't hit it out of the park.. this one fails imo.

The point of a keyboard case first and foremost is to facilitate easier typing than the onscreen. This case does not, again imo, offer that. It's more difficult to type on than a flipped smart cover equipped pad and drastically increases the weight (though in fairness for travel I suppose one has to factor in a case). I also wonder what the effects of placing the case in any kind of stress would be.. I have to double check but the keyboard ending halfway down the ipad screen is concerning - should one place the entire thing in another bag.

As you stated, clearly different solutions exist for different people. I'm a tall guy, maybe my long fingers create more of an issue. I am glad there are choices.. but I also think it may be good to have a balance of positives and negatives and so far all i see are glowing reviews - which convinced me to buy - and that just isn't my experience.

eg2007
Jul 10, 2011, 04:12 PM
Different strokes for different folks.

I love my Adonit Writer 2. I use it every day. The form factor is awesome. If I want to use a bigger keyboard, I have a laptop. But, the Adonit lets me have the flexibility of a keyboard when on the go as a lightweight solution if I don't want to lug my laptop around. It's slim, made out of the same material as that iPad 1 Apple case, and I really like it.

I'm having an easier time typing on the Adonit than I did with the Zagg/Logitech keyboard case. All of these smaller iPad keyboards have learning curves, it's just a nature of the beast.

eg2007
Jul 10, 2011, 04:16 PM
The problem about this case which I hope someone can answer is if I want to draw is there anyway I can remove the keyboard for less bulk?. I see from the photos you can take the Ipad out for gaming but that will leave it unprotected.

I put a Zagg on my iPad 2 and remove it from the Adonit all the time. No problems here. It has a little quick release tab at the top. You cannot remove the keyboard and just use the case. You'd have to get a different case. Personally, I have a this Adonit Writer 2 and then I also have a Vaja. I haven't used the Vaja since I got the Adonit. Don't really miss it. May even Ebay the Vaja.

eg2007
Jul 10, 2011, 04:18 PM
The reason the Adonit keyboard is not as wide as the ZAGGMate is because of the hinges the Adonit uses to connect the keyboard to the iPad frame.

I'm not defending them, just explaining. I find it humorous that you'd accuse the product of being 'designed by someone without much industrial design experience.'. I like the ZaggMate keyboard, too, but I understand why the Adonit is the way it is. Clearly, it doesn't work for everyone.

The guys who created the Adonit Writer came from Apple and Microsoft! I'm sure they know what they're doing. Ha! I think it's designed just right. Either way, something better always comes along. That's just the tech world. We consumers deal. :)

h00ligan
Jul 10, 2011, 06:44 PM
Well, that's interesting to know. Were they product designers there?

TC25
Jul 10, 2011, 06:57 PM
Were they product designers there?

Answered at the adonit.net site.

h00ligan
Jul 10, 2011, 07:04 PM
I still haven't looked, but regardless, that statement is a logical fallacy anyway.

I have asserted what I believe are some of the shortcomings of the design... and had one response which discussed why it may have been implemented that way - the rest have just been random responses with no merit to the statements I have made.

There are plenty of individuals who have worked for great companies that were not able to reproduce the effects an entire team obtained regularly. There are plenty of companies (including apple) who have flubbed design ideas (you all know which ones).. so where they used to work is pretty irrelevant.

The issues I have with the device are clearly stated.. and I will add one more.. the material used is yet another material that shows dirt ridiculously easily.. I am not sure if it is the same material as used in the original apple case, maybe.. regardless, that too was a poor choice based on aesthetics not usability.

Of course I come here to share opinion, and counter opinions are welcome.. however nobody is really discussing the shortcomings cited.. but basically are still telling me I'm wrong... which is.. ridiculous.

P.S. one is a design researcher, the other a mechanical engineer. For any who may be curious. No specific role at apple or microsoft is mentioned.. they may have been call center (not suggesting this is likely, however the phrase 'born from technology giants' isn't exactly specific.)

BTW, I used to work for apple, and several fortune 100 companies, that alone does not specifically qualify me to make grape soda.

Additional note, there is a difference between a product designer and a mechanical engineer.. and a design researcher.

At the end of the day, the largest issue with this item is that it limits to index finger typing, which is actually slower than the on screen keyboard. The bad choice in material used, wasted bezel space, weight, keyboard flex, and potential stress point of the 'quick release' area are all additional bothers, but the main one is that it just doesn't allow me to type even as fast as the onscreen keyboard. I appreciate others can handle it or have an easier time, I however do not see it as a well designed (well better to say well implemented) product.

In trying to review further the device I came up with another annoyance. lack of one handed opening and closing. even if it is lying flat, one cannot close the device as one would other devices and just go. for example the clamcase.

Anyone have any idea why I received a commercial invoice in the package for $50? I guess that was meant for them.

jsh1120
Jul 10, 2011, 08:01 PM
just an update, I keep trying to use this but really, it just doesn't fit. The keyboard is so small that even in typing this post, i managed to somehow hit a button that turned off the ipad...and it wasn't the lock.

Just a heads up for others. I have already submitted a return request, I will never get used to this, it's smaller than any netbook keyboard I have used... including the awful mini 9 keyboard.

Sorry about your experience. It's instructive that the one review of the adonit keyboard on Amazon is from a teacher who praises it for its small size, appropriate for children. My six year-old has a "child size" keyboard for her hand-me-down laptop and it drives me nuts every time I have to use it.

h00ligan
Jul 11, 2011, 10:16 AM
Agreed, I should have noted that.

h00ligan
Jul 15, 2011, 09:14 AM
Just a heads up for others. I have already submitted a return request

One week and they have not contacted me in response to my return request.

30 day money back no questions asked return policy, lol. Doesn't help much if they never authorize a return does it.

A week is unacceptable to wait for first response to a support inquiry, period.

So now not only can I say I don't care for their product, I can say their customer support, or lack thereof, sucks.

Not off to a swimming start are we adonit?

TC25
Jul 15, 2011, 09:42 AM
One week and they have not contacted me in response to my return request.

See PM.

Evancx3
Jul 15, 2011, 08:50 PM

My friend from UK bought this one (http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/wekreat-typerider-bluetooth-keyboard-folio-case-for-ipad-2-p31006.htm) from WeKREAT. It has edge to edge keyboard holding keys that are only 10-15 percent smaller than the full-size keyboard. He said it is really easy to get use to, and interestingly the package come with a stand insert that holds a stylus, 3 grooves for multiple standing angles, and a name card holder.
It's now pre-ordering on WeKREAT website, I may buy it with recommendation from my friend.

h00ligan
Jul 16, 2011, 04:48 PM
Interesting find, thanks.

At the end of the day, I'm flling out of love with my iPad and starting to use a laptop more. It just seems to be better for me most of the time. iPad is still fine for reading and whatnot, but I wish at this point I got the 16 gb as now a new laptop will be on order.

Lenow
Jul 18, 2011, 06:45 AM
I tried out the Adonit for ipad 2 and just found that my fingers are too big for their keyboard. It is a nice product for those than can use and adjust to the smaller keyboard. I am too used to the Apple bluetooth keyboard. I think the product works as advertised. I asked for a return authorization and got an immediate and very polite response.

jsh1120
Jul 18, 2011, 01:28 PM
Just a followup to a comment I made about the size of the keyboard above. I haven't read all the posts in this thread carefully so I hope I'm not being redundant. If so, my apologies.

There is simply no way that any manufacturer can provide a spacious keyboard in a combo case/keyboard. That's true of the 'adonit,' the Zaggmate, or any of their competitors. You might notice that the photos and videos of these products almost always show women or teenagers with small hands using the keyboard. There's a reason.

My Apple Wireless Keyboard is almost two inches wider than my iPad (in landscape.) My Microsoft 6000 Bluetooth portable keyboard which I also use with the iPad (and is both less expensive and in some ways superior to the Apple keyboard) is almost four inches wider. None of the combo case/keyboards can provide a keyboard even as spacious as a typical 11" notebook without making the case too large to be sold to most consumers.

That doesn't mean that a customer cannot adjust to the smaller form factor, especially if it's a high quality keyboard with appropriate action and well designed keys. But it does mean that if you shift back and forth between such a keyboard and a full size model (or even the keyboard on a small laptop) you may find adjusting to the cramped space difficult.

Personally, I use a full-size Logitech keyboard for most of my text input. I can adjust to the size of the Apple Wireless Keyboard without much difficulty but I would find anything smaller to be a major problem unless I used it almost exclusively.

Combination keyboard/cases have an undeniable appeal. But for me (and I suspect for many other touch typists) a much better approach involves something like the Apple Wireless Keyboard and the Incase Origami Workstation.

TC25
Jul 18, 2011, 01:46 PM
All the manufacturers have made the design decision that the keyboard cannot be wider than the iPad. It'd be nice if someone would have used the Apple BT Keyboard as the dimension starting point. I've suggested this to Adonit but no response.

jsh1120
Jul 18, 2011, 05:10 PM
All the manufacturers have made the design decision that the keyboard cannot be wider than the iPad. It'd be nice if someone would have used the Apple BT Keyboard as the dimension starting point. I've suggested this to Adonit but no response.

I don't doubt it. They don't want to be generous with other people's (their many customers without an Apple Keyboard) money.

TC25
Jul 18, 2011, 06:47 PM
They don't want to be generous with other people's (their many customers without an Apple Keyboard) money.
Please explain this bizarre sentence. They build a case and people buy it. If you don't have an Apple BT Keyboard, you don't need it and, wait for it, you don't buy it. Wow, what a concept.

zhoulana
Jul 19, 2011, 03:43 AM
Do you have a link for the iPad 2v?

http://adonit.net/product/4

Here is the link for iPad 2 :):):)

TC25
Jul 19, 2011, 05:17 AM
http://adonit.net/product/4

Here is the link for iPad 2 :):):)

Replying to a 3 week old post and with a link the guy could have googled and got for himself. How kind of you!

h00ligan
Jul 25, 2011, 11:23 AM
Just a followup to a comment I made about the size of the keyboard above. I haven't read all the posts in this thread carefully so I hope I'm not being redundant. If so, my apologies.

There is simply no way that any manufacturer can provide a spacious keyboard in a combo case/keyboard. That's true of the 'adonit,' the Zaggmate, or any of their competitors. You might notice that the photos and videos of these products almost always show women or teenagers with small hands using the keyboard. There's a reason.

My Apple Wireless Keyboard is almost two inches wider than my iPad (in landscape.) My Microsoft 6000 Bluetooth portable keyboard which I also use with the iPad (and is both less expensive and in some ways superior to the Apple keyboard) is almost four inches wider. None of the combo case/keyboards can provide a keyboard even as spacious as a typical 11" notebook without making the case too large to be sold to most consumers.

That doesn't mean that a customer cannot adjust to the smaller form factor, especially if it's a high quality keyboard with appropriate action and well designed keys. But it does mean that if you shift back and forth between such a keyboard and a full size model (or even the keyboard on a small laptop) you may find adjusting to the cramped space difficult.

Personally, I use a full-size Logitech keyboard for most of my text input. I can adjust to the size of the Apple Wireless Keyboard without much difficulty but I would find anything smaller to be a major problem unless I used it almost exclusively.

Combination keyboard/cases have an undeniable appeal. But for me (and I suspect for many other touch typists) a much better approach involves something like the Apple Wireless Keyboard and the Incase Origami Workstation.

I get what you are saying bit the adonit 'feels' much much smaller than the zaggmate.

Their customer support is also lackluster if that matters to anyone.

madat42
Jul 25, 2011, 12:23 PM
Can you use it on your lap comfortably, if at all?

TC25
Jul 25, 2011, 02:41 PM

Comfortably is a subjective term.

The adonit/iPad combination is not like the Clamcase, specifically because you have to slide the keyboard from its closed position to where you can use it. Once you do that, it's usable on your lap.

If you are looking for a solution that's more laptop/netbook like, the adonit is not for you.

eg2007
Jul 26, 2011, 02:38 AM

I use my Adonit Writer 2 on my lap all the time. I usually carry it to write at coffee houses. It's not a laptop feel at all, but I knew that going in. I must say, at first, typing on it was frustrating (due to the size) but after a few weeks, I've gotten pretty good at it.

The first Adonit Writer 2 I received had a problem with the sleep/wake magnet. I emailed them via their site and the founder replied within the hour. It was over a holiday weekend, but he had another rep contact me to get my address. They overnighted me a replacement cover. Literally, a three business day process. In my experience, their customer service was excellent.

SethKOne
Jul 26, 2011, 09:11 PM
The writer 2 is a tricky device to recommend. One one hand it's a lot nicer than some of the other keyboard cases, but it's not a netbook / notebook feel. The keyboard takes some getting used to since it's smaller than I expected, even after reading some comments. I have to agree that the design should have been re-examined, there is no need to have such wide peripheral keys (caps, shift, etc.) on both sides and tiny keys for the main letters. Anyways, materials are great, and the flexibility of the magnetic base means I can use it in more situations.

Biggest design faux pas? Putting the sleep key right above backspace, and with such tiny keys, you are BOUND to hit it accidentally at least once a session if you are a fast touch typist.

h00ligan
Jul 27, 2011, 12:04 AM

imo, no. I don't think it's comfortable on a table, let alone in a lap.. and the viewing angle would be much less than ideal imo.

h00ligan
Jul 31, 2011, 12:11 AM
you can add one more awful to the list... battery life. it wasnt turned on for 2 weeks and the batteries flattened. basically this thing is horrible from the ground up

SchneiderMan
Aug 1, 2011, 04:13 AM
imo, no. I don't think it's comfortable on a table, let alone in a lap.. and the viewing angle would be much less than ideal imo.

Then let's both agree to disagree.

jsh1120
Aug 1, 2011, 07:51 AM
Apple BT Keyboard - While I like the size and feel of it, it's as kludgey to set up as the ZAGGmate. I carry it and my iPad2 in a Waterfield iPad Wallet with shoulder strap.

I agree with techdude6693, the best folio would be one that could hold an Apple BT keyboard, but until that comes out, I'll use the Adonit at work and the Apple BT Keyboard/Waterfield iPad Wallet combination when traveling.

I use the same configuration except that I have the Travel Express rather than the iPad Wallet from Waterfield. I made that choice because the folks at Waterfield Designs indicated that the Apple Wireless Keyboard would probably not fit in the dedicated pocket if it's encased in the Incase Origami Workstation keyboard case. It works in the Travel Express, though it's a tight fit.

I'm curious. What did you find "kludgey" about setting up the Apple Wireless Keyboard. Mine worked flawlessly simply by pairing the iPad and the AWK.

As far as a folio designed to accommodate the AWK, I seriously doubt you'll see that from any manufacturer. It would mean a wider/taller folio for a niche of a niche portion of the market. While it would appeal to those of us committed to the AWK, the design and production costs wouldn't justify the investment, I'd guess.

madat42
Aug 9, 2011, 07:31 PM
After noting the negative comments in this thread, I decided to go for the Adonit Writer anyway for my iPad 2. After having used it for the past couple of days, I'm glad I did as it's the best keyboard case for me. I'm a touch typist and have large hands/fingers. Yes, the keyboard is tiny, probably the smallest I've ever used but it hasn't taken long to get used to it. It doesn't feel flimsy at all to me. It's not as solid as a ThinkPad understandably, but definitely not low-end. The design of the case is sleek and minimalist - no thick, gaudy 'executive' leather look to it. The design and choice of materials keep the whole package light as a Macbook Air, while still feeling solidly built. A feature that I truly appreciate is the 'eject' frame. Simply, it keeps the iPad an iPad. I like using the iPad as is, when using apps like Flipboard and Zite, or playing games. But I also do a lot of corresponding where a dedicated keyboard is needed. The Writer works perfectly, allowing me to do both. It works comfortably for me on a table as well as my lap. I had the Zagg/Logitech keyboard and though that keyboard was great to use, it was very awkward as a case. Anyway, my 2 cents.

Ojitos84
Oct 5, 2011, 05:32 PM
I just received this folio today! I love it!!! of course my fingers are small so it doesn't bother me the fact that the keys are smaller then others.

SethKOne
Nov 6, 2011, 11:21 AM
After several months of daily use, the somewhat flimsy plastic ring holding the metal keyboard to the case has snapped. Since I didn't know this had happened until the next time I opened it, I haven't been able to locate the small piece that broke off. Now, the keyboard just falls out on one side, every time I open it, and can't support the weight of the iPad 2.

Any suggestions for a DIY fix? I was thinking about supergluing something in place, but a) I don't want it to look unsightly, and b) It still needs to support the opening and closing action - i.e. the inside cylinder needs to rotate. Any suggestions?

madat42
Nov 7, 2011, 11:27 AM
After several months of daily use, the somewhat flimsy plastic ring holding the metal keyboard to the case has snapped. Since I didn't know this had happened until the next time I opened it, I haven't been able to locate the small piece that broke off. Now, the keyboard just falls out on one side, every time I open it, and can't support the weight of the iPad 2.

Any suggestions for a DIY fix? I was thinking about supergluing something in place, but a) I don't want it to look unsightly, and b) It still needs to support the opening and closing action - i.e. the inside cylinder needs to rotate. Any suggestions?

How about contacting Adonit to see about getting the frame replaced since there's a one year warranty?