PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic camcorder only works w PC please advise

racheltuttle09
Jun 20, 2011, 07:37 PM
We bought a panasonic camcorder to use with the PC we also have. The PC died like most PC's do. We have two Mac's and the format of the videos is not recognized when I plug it in thru the usb port to the camera. What can I do to convert these files or upload them in the right format? The camera is a SDR-H80. I also tried plugging it into our Playstation3 and it shows there are no videos when there is. I read another thread similar to this and the outcome was needing a fire wire cable. Not sure if this is the same situation. Thanks in advance for any help!

simsaladimbamba
Jun 20, 2011, 07:46 PM
That camera uses a HDD as storage device and the only connection interfaces on it are USB and Composite Video Out (and audio I guess). Thus you need the same USB cable you used with your Windows PCs. In order to view the videos, you could try opening iMovie and selecting "Import from Camera" and see how that goes.
The two links I found about how to import from that camcorder into iMovie are dead now, but the camcorder is supported by iMovie, thus iMovie should recognise it and properly import it. But know, that during the import the video gets transcoded (converted) into bigger files (13GB per hour) to properly edit them, but if you don't need to edit them, you can transcode those bigger files to smaller files later anyway.