PDA

View Full Version : Apple to Launch Cheaper AirPort Extreme, 3TB Time Capsule

MacRumors
Jun 21, 2011, 02:50 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/apple-to-launch-cheaper-airport-extreme-3tb-time-capsule/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/time_capsule_backup.jpg
Apple is about to launch upgraded AirPort Extremes and Time Capsules, according to 9to5mac (http://9to5mac.com/2011/06/21/apple-about-to-drop-cheaper-airport-extremes-3tb-time-capsule/) who cites Mr. X as a source. The new part numbers are listed below and offer a higher storage capacity Time Capsule at 3TB.

• MD031LL/A - AIRPORT EXTREME 802.11N (5TH GEN)- USA
• MD032LL/A - TIME CAPSULE 2TB (4TH GENERATION) - USA
• MD033LL/A - TIME CAPSULE 3TB (4TH GENERATION) - USA

The prices of all parts are said to drop in price, though the exact price hasn't been specified. Given the last minute part numbers, we expect the new devices could launch as early as Tuesday morning.

What's particularly interesting is that the 3TB part was predicted by MICGadget (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/20/mac-pro-to-use-custom-intel-cpu-more-details-on-mac-mini-and-time-capsule/) in their report late yesterday. What's more, the 1TB model may go extinct, and the new Time Capsule will be available in 2TB plus storage, and according to our trusted source, 3TB is tested, but not sure if Apple got it to work.They also predicted a new design with better heat dissipation, better signal strength and software update caching.

Article Link: Apple to Launch Cheaper AirPort Extreme, 3TB Time Capsule (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/apple-to-launch-cheaper-airport-extreme-3tb-time-capsule/)

Ahheck01
Jun 21, 2011, 02:53 AM
Assuming the prices are much more reasonably than current offerings ($99 seems very Apple), I will almost definitely buy the new Airport Extreme, if not a Time Capsule.

Although I hope this isn't the only announcement for today. Final Cut Pro X can't come soon enough. Anyone else?

What do you think:
Airport Express: $69
Airport Extreme: $129
Time Capsule 2TB: $229
Time Capsule 3TB: $299

hohohong
Jun 21, 2011, 02:55 AM
Perfect timing!! Just sold my 2TB TC a few hours ago!

I hope there's HDMI out with Thunderbolt!

ratzzo
Jun 21, 2011, 02:56 AM
Ooh, about time for a capacity upgrade! I might also get an AirPort Extreme if they do drop prices (4 storey house :(). I don't expect them to drop significantly though

motulist
Jun 21, 2011, 02:57 AM
Will the Express drop in price too?

TeaZy
Jun 21, 2011, 02:59 AM
Assuming the prices are much more reasonably than current offerings ($99 seems very Apple), I will almost definitely buy the new Airport Extreme, if not a Time Capsule.

Although I hope this isn't the only announcement for today. Final Cut Pro X can't come soon enough. Anyone else?

What do you think:

+1 for FCPX

B Gallagher
Jun 21, 2011, 02:59 AM
Will the Express drop in price too?
If the report's correct, we'll find out soon enough! ;)

wordoflife
Jun 21, 2011, 03:02 AM
+1 for the cheaper Airport Extreme.
I'm not paying $170 for a router that only has 3 ports. I think I'd rather get something cheaper, with 4 ports, and spend an additional 10 minutes setting it up.

AtomicEdge
Jun 21, 2011, 03:02 AM
I've been thinking about getting an Extreme for a while now, so maybe this will be my jumping on point. Just checking, but if I have an Extreme, can I plug a USB HDD into it and use that for Time machine Backups?

stringent
Jun 21, 2011, 03:03 AM
Couple of newb Qs
Can the Time machine manage multiple Mac Machines
Can it be used as a NAS box for PC to integrate
Can it be used as a NAS and Time Machine setup for Mac

Hellhammer
Jun 21, 2011, 03:05 AM
3TB HD should be plug&play, it's regular 3.5" SATA drive.

OllyW
Jun 21, 2011, 03:07 AM
They also predicted a new design with better heat dissipation...

This will be a welcome update, the infamous 18 month old Time Capsule failures were all down to overheating.

I've been thinking about getting an Extreme for a while now, so maybe this will be my jumping on point. Just checking, but if I have an Extreme, can I plug a USB HDD into it and use that for Time machine Backups?

It's not officially supported by Apple but I've been using it for years without any problems.

PlutoPrime
Jun 21, 2011, 03:07 AM
Couple of newb Qs
Can the Time machine manage multiple Mac Machines

Yes

Can it be used as a NAS box for PC to integrate

Yes - With a windows software download from Apple.

Can it be used as a NAS and Time Machine setup for Mac

Yes

mdgm
Jun 21, 2011, 03:09 AM
This does make sense. Updating the AEBS and Time Capsule before Lion is released is a good idea. They will need to support configuring them using Airport Utility on Snow Leopard anyway so they don't lose anything by releasing it now. It'll be good if people can have these setup and configured before updating their existing Macs to Lion. Releasing the new Mac models with Lion pre-installed also makes sense and is quite a different matter.

Tex-Twil
Jun 21, 2011, 03:11 AM
I wonder if Apple will finally integrate the music airplay with a minijack to other devices than the AirPort Express.

podiki
Jun 21, 2011, 03:12 AM
Pity, I use my Airport Extreme to heat my house in winter. No upgrade for me.

mdgm
Jun 21, 2011, 03:13 AM
So long as the OS on the device supports GPT partitioning and 4k sector partition alignment, yes. Even if these features were already there it would still require some testing.

stringent
Jun 21, 2011, 03:13 AM
Thanks @PlutoPrime! :)

podiki
Jun 21, 2011, 03:15 AM
BTW, a NAS? With one drive? I never did get why the time capsule has just one drive.

World Citizen
Jun 21, 2011, 03:19 AM
BTW, a NAS? With one drive? I never did get why the time capsule has just one drive.

Its no NAS...Its a backup appliance.
(and you could think of you Imac or Mbp HDD as first drive and the timecapsule as seccond.)

BUT PLEAS let it come soon... I sold all my non-apple hardware, and have no back-up at the moment... I am waiting for this thing for 3 months now.... Pleas hurry.. this thing is not depended on Lion, so launch it today pleas.

WilliamG
QoS support would seal the deal...

silusesMac
I hope that the new time capsules are better than the current ones the read reason I bought a airport extreme and not a time capsule was because of the price and also the reviews on the apple site all were negative and said that it only lasted 18 months and the it would not work and you would lose all your info yikes:(.

mdgm
Jun 21, 2011, 03:20 AM
It is still Network Attached Storage, but I agree one non-user replaceable drive is a major drawback and one that really turns me off the device. I may well stick to using AEBS devices and see if I can use an alternative way to cache Mac OS X software updates to using the new Time Capsule (assuming this offers this). Having said that Apple likes to things keep simple. Your average consumer doesn't understand RAID or the benefits it offers. A two drive RAID-1 array provides high-availability/redundancy allowing you to keep on working if one drive fails, replacing the disk to restore redundancy. RAID isn't a backup, so important data primarily stored on a RAID array should be backed up regularly e.g. to a USB drive.

mdgm
Jun 21, 2011, 03:21 AM
Its no NAS...

It is Network Attached Storage, even though it isn't what one traditionally considers when one thinks of a NAS.

podiki
Jun 21, 2011, 03:24 AM
Yeah, Time Capsule is backup and it's better than no backup, but when your time capsule drive crashes you lose a *lot* of history.

OllyW
Jun 21, 2011, 03:29 AM
Yeah, Time Capsule is backup and it's better than no backup, but when your time capsule drive crashes you lose a *lot* of history.

It pays to have more than one backup strategy in case your primary backup ever fails. I supplement the Time Machine backups with cloned copies of my hard drives using Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/) or SuperDuper! (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html).

Icaras
Jun 21, 2011, 03:31 AM
Yes! Can't wait to check the Apple online store in the morning :D

masteroflondon
Jun 21, 2011, 03:32 AM
It's not officially supported by Apple but I've been using it for years without any problems.

It is officially supported by Apple when using Apple devices such as Airport Extreme. The AirPort Utility explicitly offers the option and Apples statement about not supporting it specifically refers to the use of third party devices.

itickings
Jun 21, 2011, 03:33 AM
I'm not paying $170 for a router that only has 3 ports. I think I'd rather get something cheaper, with 4 ports, and spend an additional 10 minutes setting it up.

I find the Airports to actually actually take more time to configure, and it is annoying as !$@# to have to restart them to apply most changes. Nevertheless - I like them; When configured, they work.

If the Extreme had four LAN ports, I'm sure the people needing five would be very vocal. :p

But yeah, more LAN ports wouldn't hurt. Shouldn't add much to the cost or be a downside for people needing fewer. I'm currently fine with three ports however, so I don't really care, I'm more interested in added functionality.

EmpyreanUK
Jun 21, 2011, 03:34 AM
****. I paid 145 for an Airport Extreme about six weeks ago :( It now seems as though there'll be an improved version at a lower costs. At the time I bought it I told myself it would make more sense to wait until I've moved (end of July). Patience!

lostngone
Jun 21, 2011, 03:34 AM
If Apple keeps going like this it won't be to long until they can have a single massive event where they update all their hardware products.

MacBook
MacBook Pro
MacBook Air
Displays
Mac Mini
Mac Pro
iPods
iPod Touch
Airport/Time Cap.
iPhone

What else?

That only leaves off iPad and iMac that have been recently updated...

MythicFrost
Jun 21, 2011, 03:35 AM
This may sound like a weird question but: What day is "today"?

The article said they may launch as early as tuesday, but what day is it now from macrumors time? I live in Australia and it's tuesday night here.

Icaras
Jun 21, 2011, 03:36 AM
This may sound like a weird question but: What day is "today"?

The article said they may launch as early as tuesday, but what day is it now from macrumors time? I live in Australia and it's tuesday night here.

It's funny, because it's Tuesday here now in the states and even the article was time stamped 12:50am Tuesday. I thought it was a bit confusing too. So basically, we'll see in a couple of hours if these products launch or not.

ghostlyorb
Jun 21, 2011, 03:37 AM
I want an upgrade to my AP Extreme. So I hope it comes out soon!

applefan27073
Jun 21, 2011, 03:37 AM

Hehe! :p:p Seems like Apple consistently does this with products! Love the Mac Pro for that reason (why I go to the Apple Store for no other reason on a cold day in winter!!!)

However, it can get REALLY hot in summer, hence why I have not got a Mac Pro or an AirPort extreme!

Having said that, :eek::eek: 3TB!?!? :eek::eek:

GO APPLE! :D:D

MythicFrost
Jun 21, 2011, 03:38 AM
It's funny, because it's Tuesday here now in the states and even the article was time stamped 12:50am Tuesday. I thought it was a bit confusing too. So basically, we'll see in a couple of hours if these products launch or not.
Aha, I see. Thanks! :p

OllyW
Jun 21, 2011, 03:40 AM
It is officially supported by Apple when using Apple devices such as Airport Extreme. The AirPort Utility explicitly offers the option and Apples statement about not supporting it specifically refers to the use of third party devices.

No, it isn't officially supported by Apple even though it works perfectly fine for most people.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/15139.html

Time Machine can’t back up to an external disk connected to an AirPort Extreme

wordoflife
Jun 21, 2011, 03:40 AM
I find the Airports to actually actually take more time to configure, and it is annoying as !$@# to have to restart them to apply most changes. Nevertheless - I like them; When configured, they work.

If the Extreme had four LAN ports, I'm sure the people needing five would be very vocal. :p

But yeah, more LAN ports wouldn't hurt. Shouldn't add much to the cost or be a downside for people needing fewer. I'm currently fine with three ports however, so I don't really care, I'm more interested in added functionality.

For some reason, I can never get routers up and running the first time I mess with the settings. I know what information I need to fill in where, but it only ends up working after 20 minutes of frustration... for some reason. It's only a once in a every couple of years deal, so it's still not worth my $170 bucks. My $50 Netgear router (which is now only $30 :p) is still kicking after 3 years. I also can take advantage of my full internet bandwidth (2MB/s down - 25Mb/s) all the way on the other side of my house over WiFi.

Basically what I'm saying is that a price drop is welcomed for AEBS. A lot of people, like myself, can't really justify a price tag of $170.

ARobinson
Jun 21, 2011, 03:43 AM
Welcome news!! I have wanted a magic caching smart device that will serve as my backup and middle man between Apple (now iCloud, i guess). Maybe this will be it. Updating all my hardware when I walk into the house...without having to lift my finger. Cuz I am lazy! :) Not an groundbreaking idea, but something practical all Apple users can use and will likely want. Definitely safer too! With all these cloud services susceptible to hacks.

applefan27073
Jun 21, 2011, 03:44 AM
If Apple keeps going like this it won't be to long until they can have a single massive event where they update all their hardware products.

MacBook
MacBook Pro
MacBook Air
Displays
Mac Mini
Mac Pro
iPods
iPod Touch
Airport/Time Cap.
iPhone

What else?

That only leaves off iPad and iMac that have been recently updated...

I don't want a 10 hour keynote, and the :apple: stores would have a queue miles long as they already have LONG delays for the iPhone and / or iPads!

However, i still agree with this:

Does anyone feel like the White MacBooks haven't been updated recently???

stringent
Jun 21, 2011, 03:44 AM
NAS should not be used as a single data store. You should use it as a backup only. So you have a copy of your data on your computer, and a backup copy, therefore if one goes you have another copy somewhere else. So even if the NAS dies you still have your computer copy to work from, then back that up when your new NAS box comes.

2 copies of data on two different devices as a minimum.

MrSmith
Jun 21, 2011, 03:46 AM
TC doesn't get good reviews at the online Apple stores. I'd be scared to buy one...

Michael CM1
Jun 21, 2011, 03:49 AM

First of all, how much do you need an additional port? The only things I have are the DSL modem going in and a cable going out to a device that allows me to connect to my Dish Network receivers. Anything worth a damn has WiFi for *most* home users.

As far as the extra 10 minutes setting it up, OH if it were only so simple. First of all, the last Linksys router I bough took 10 minutes to NOT set up, and then maybe another 10 to actually set it up. Anything with a "wizard" involved is evil. Secondly, it's not the setup that worries me. It's the "I need to change this" later on. I was able to pretty simply set up my AEBS for use with a remote desktop app. Everything else seems so much more like managing a device instead of launching a rocket through a Web browser. My DSL modem has one of those browser-based setup things, and I so hate it.

I'm still having trouble figuring out why my AEBS doesn't exactly seem to route stuff well, but I think I may have messed around with the wrong thing. When one device is highly active on the Internet, every other device pretty much has a dial-up connection if anything. Maybe the pipe coming into my house is doing that, but you think a 6Mbps connection would route properly. But I digress.

I love these things and only wish they were cheaper. People see the cheaper routers and automatically leap at 'em. The two I have had saved me plenty of headaches compared to the two Linksys routers.

JabbaII
Jun 21, 2011, 03:49 AM
My guesses for new features of the new time capsule:
- sync with icloud
- better reception / speed via multiple antennas
- itunes server
- smaller foot print
- 4 lan ports

May be
- audio + video (HDMI?) DLNA??

OllyW
Jun 21, 2011, 03:52 AM
TC doesn't get good reviews at the online Apple stores. I'd be scared to buy one...

That's because of this (http://timecapsuledead.org/).

The new model should have better cooling and avoid those problems.

monty77
Jun 21, 2011, 03:53 AM
My guesses for new features of the new time capsule:
- sync with icloud
- better reception / speed via multiple antennas
- itunes server
- smaller foot print
- 4 lan ports

May be
- audio + video (HDMI?) DLNA??

Video/Audio iTunes server would make my month ... I currently have Mac Mini doing that and it'd be a smaller / cheaper replacement.

M

crispy12
Jun 21, 2011, 03:58 AM
My DSL modem has one of those browser-based setup things, and I so hate it.

I used my iPad to set up my dlink router wirelessly and it took all of 5 minutes. The 5 minutes was setting up the ADSL connection. It cost under a $100 too. I can set up port forwarding or restart my router through the interface, on my iPad! Having a browser interface is so useful I can't see why it could possibly be a negative.

Maybe you should learn to use it?

creeman
Jun 21, 2011, 03:59 AM
Video/Audio iTunes server would make my month ... I currently have Mac Mini doing that and it'd be a smaller / cheaper replacement.

M

That would be GREAT. I just installed the server app on Mac OS Lion hoping their would be some sort of iTunes server thing, but there was nothing. Having my TC be the server would be fantastic!

Mike Oxard
Jun 21, 2011, 03:59 AM

It is, I replaced the 500GB drive in my original TC with a 3TB Drive a couple of weeks ago, it works perfectly. It's a very easy job to do:
http://www.hardmac.com/articles/79/page1

Some people have reported the later model TC's don't show the full capacity of the new drive.

Icaras
Jun 21, 2011, 04:00 AM
Aha, I see. Thanks! :p

Sure thing :)

The current third generation seemed to have remedied much of the failure rate that plagued the previous generations before it. It ran quieter and cooler. I've had mine since it last refreshed now....doing great still. Really can't wait to see how much more efficient the 4th gen models will be. These new models should most definitely be very stable. Heck, they've had 4 generations to improve it, so I'd be very confident to buy.

muff
Jun 21, 2011, 04:08 AM
The airport extreme and timecapsule has now been removed from the frontpage of the danish apple store.

http://store.apple.com/dk

They used to be next to the iPhone.

hohohong
Jun 21, 2011, 04:08 AM

M

I'll buy that in a heartbeat, provided it plays MKV!

ovrlrd
Jun 21, 2011, 04:10 AM
They also predicted a new design with better heat dissipation

To me the easiest way for them to do this is to redesign the entire thing. I predict they will look similar to the current generation Mac Mini. The aluminum casing will help keep things cool due to the thermal conductive nature of metal. They could also create a new antenna design that uses the casing itself as Wi-Fi antennas, not unlike the iPhone 4 in a way.

As for software changes, on the Time Capsule version I predict it might act as a cache for quicker iCloud backups. So you basically will be able to do an iCloud backup much faster directly to your Time Capsule, where it then does the work of uploading it to iCloud automatically. I don't think it would store the backup for long though. This is really just a best case scenario of what it could do, I don't even know if it's a useful feature. More likely it will only just do the software update cache like the rumor suggests.

ThunderSkunk
Jun 21, 2011, 04:10 AM
Ideally, this would handle iCloud functionality for the devices on your network in case of no internet connection.

Then when you're connected, update the cloud.

cmChimera
Jun 21, 2011, 04:18 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Time Capsule only acts as a Time Machine backup without user modification right? I can't wirelessly drop off an video collection to it because I want it off my computer right?

Icaras
Jun 21, 2011, 04:20 AM
To me the easiest way for them to do this is to redesign the entire thing. I predict they will look similar to the current generation Mac Mini. The aluminum casing will help keep things cool due to the thermal conductive nature of metal. They could also create a new antenna design that uses the casing itself as Wi-Fi antennas, not unlike the iPhone 4 in a way.

A couple of things. Aluminum hinders wifi signal strength, which is probably a good reason why they have never used it. I personally prefer the white gloss plastic myself so I hope they dont change the casing material. If these new models are supposedly going to have stronger signal strengths, i wouldn't expect an all new aluminum casing.

And the iPhone 4 antenna system is stainless steel.

peskaa
Jun 21, 2011, 04:22 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Time Capsule only acts as a Time Machine backup without user modification right? I can't wirelessly drop off an video collection to it because I want it off my computer right?

Yes you can. Time Capsule drives appear as network mounts in Finder.

Lone Deranger
Jun 21, 2011, 04:23 AM
Here's a question for the Time Capsule experts. Is it actually possible to have two different Macs (say a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro) back up to the same Time Capsule unit without getting conflicts?

cmChimera
Jun 21, 2011, 04:24 AM
Yes you can. Time Capsule drives appear as network mounts in Finder.

Awesome. May buy this then. Any to connect to it remotely, from another wireless connection?

Frosticus
Jun 21, 2011, 04:26 AM
Hurrah, passive backup and a place to put my expanding movie collection! :)

itickings
Jun 21, 2011, 04:29 AM
Basically what I'm saying is that a price drop is welcomed for AEBS. A lot of people, like myself, can't really justify a price tag of $170.

No argument from me there, a price drop would be very welcome.

Depending on the features and function, I could certainly justify a price tag of $170 though. But not for the current AEBS.

Icaras
Jun 21, 2011, 04:30 AM
Here's a question for the Time Capsule experts. Is it actually possible to have two different Macs (say a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro) back up to the same Time Capsule unit without getting conflicts?

Absolutely, I have had my TC backup 4 Macs in the household at once. Not sure what the limit of Macs can be though.

Edit: Yes, absolutely no conflicts. Each Mac gets it's own backup file.

SimonTheSoundMa
Jun 21, 2011, 04:34 AM
ADSL please? Come on Apple, you could sell way more if you put an ADSL modem in it like every other manufacturer.

Anyway, I still do not 'get' the AirPort Extreme extra expense over a 40 router.

masteroflondon
Jun 21, 2011, 04:38 AM
No, it isn't officially supported by Apple even though it works perfectly fine for most people.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/15139.html

You're clearly correct, my apologies. Did this change at some point? Seems unlikely, just me getting confused by something I guess.

Lone Deranger
Jun 21, 2011, 04:46 AM
Absolutely, I have had my TC backup 4 Macs in the household at once. Not sure what the limit of Macs can be though.

Edit: Yes, absolutely no conflicts. Each Mac gets it's own backup file.

Wow... I can't believe I never knew that. That's great. Thank you Icaras! :)

emfsfo
Jun 21, 2011, 04:51 AM
Damn, my linksys died on Sunday and I immediately ran out and replaced it with an Airport Extreme. I should've noticed the lack of units when I bought it from the Apple store.

If I go back and swap it out for a new one, has anyone had any luck in getting the 10% restocking fee waived?

zedsdead
Jun 21, 2011, 04:53 AM
Damn, my linksys died on Sunday and I immediately ran out and replaced it with an Airport Extreme. I should've noticed the lack of units when I bought it from the Apple store.

If I go back and swap it out for a new one, has anyone had any luck in getting the 10% restocking fee waived?

Yes, especially if the new model comes out today. I've returned a couple of apple products for one reason or another, but I've never had to pay the restocking fee.

AppliedMicro
Jun 21, 2011, 04:54 AM
I'd be rather disappointed about 2TB and 3TB Time Capsule models.

I'd much prefer a smaller Time Capsule with a 2.5" drive. :rolleyes:

Benefits would be: It could be smaller, consume even less power and run quieter, cooler and more reliable.
1 TB capacity is enough for most people.
Actually, it's way more than enough.
We sell multiple 1 TB ones for every 2 TB one.

Few home users I know need more than 1 TB of storage. Even if you have that much data or more, it would take forever to send over Wi-Fi. And if you really need more than 1 TB of storage (let's say you are a system administrator or creative professional), you better not entrust your important data to a lowly Time Capsule.

Current Time Capsules do not lack in terms storage capacity or ease of use. Not even functionality paired with a Mac. They lack in terms of

1) price point. Many people shy away from buying one just because of their price point - and then some end up doing no data backup at all, cause they too are lazy to use a tethered drive just for backup purposes.

2) backing up non-PC devices. iPhones, iPads, iPod touches. Because, again, many are too lazy or stupid to regularly hook them up to a PC. If they even own one. Many don't even have an internet connection besides their iPad / iPod wireless plan. Syncing their oh-so-important photos, apps and videos to iCloud or somewhere else could eat up the biggest part of their monthly data allowance or more - so I can definitely see demand for local backup in addition to or instead of iCloud.

Lesser Evets
Jun 21, 2011, 05:14 AM

Been years and years and the TC drive hasn't crashed. It's probably rare to get a TC drive crashing. Possible, but not something to dread. The main drives, however, bottom on me every year like clockwork. As long as both don't die together, you can back-up everything fine.

kdjohn3
Jun 21, 2011, 05:23 AM
A couple of things. Aluminum hinders wifi signal strength, which is probably a good reason why they have never used it. I personally prefer the white gloss plastic myself so I hope they dont change the casing material.

I hate the white casing! Hopefully they'll switch to black to match their other products. The only white computer they still sell is the entry level MacBook and that will probably be discontinued before long. I have an Airport Extreme and it looks so out of place on my black entertainment center next to my aluminum Mac Mini, my black plasma TV, my black PS3, my black receiver, etc. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

While they're at it, they can start making iPhone docks and cables black.

netdog
Jun 21, 2011, 05:28 AM
adsl please? Come on apple, you could sell way more if you put an adsl modem in it like every other manufacturer.

+1

peskaa
Jun 21, 2011, 05:34 AM
ADSL please? Come on Apple, you could sell way more if you put an ADSL modem in it like every other manufacturer.

You do realise that not everybody uses ADSL, so the added cost of having that integrated is just pointless for them? My parents, for example, use cable and hence have a DOCSIS cable modem that has nothing to do with ADSL - so the AirPort Extreme is great as a router for them.

Additionally, there are those who use multiple units - why do they need to pay for functionality they won't use? I have a TC and a pair of AirPort Extremes to provide decent coverage - I certainly wouldn't want an ADSL modem in each.

mdgm
Jun 21, 2011, 05:36 AM
It is, I replaced the 500GB drive in my original TC with a 3TB Drive a couple of weeks ago, it works perfectly. It's a very easy job to do:
http://www.hardmac.com/articles/79/page1

Some people have reported the later model TC's don't show the full capacity of the new drive.
That's interesting. That perhaps suggests GPT support implemented on some TC models but not others. Or perhaps Apple intentionally did not format drives using GPT so you couldn't clone them onto 3TB drives later. I guess pulling a drive from a TC where upgrading to 3TB didn't work and examining it using a Mac would give a clue.

Regardless testing 3TB drives which are still rather bleeding edge (in my view) would take some time. Testing GPT support and 4k sector alignment may not have been required on the earlier 2TB models and certainly not on lower capacity ones.

Slider
Jun 21, 2011, 05:44 AM
http://store.apple.com/uk/search?find=time+capsule&mco=Nzc1MjMwNg

I'll be buying one later.

mdgm
Jun 21, 2011, 05:50 AM
http://store.apple.com/uk/search?find=time+capsule&mco=Nzc1MjMwNg

I'll be buying one later.
You can still find the Time Capsule on the store when you browse to the "Airport & Wireless" section, but only the refurbs show up when you search for it at the moment, showing something like 1-5 of 2 found suggesting Apple has deliberately pulled the to be discontinued models from search results: http://store.apple.com/us/search?find=Time+Capsule

matt3526
Jun 21, 2011, 06:06 AM
Went into my local apple store yesterday. They informed me that all time capsules have been recalled by apple and that they are to be replaced. They couldn't tell me when or what with though...

theLimit
Jun 21, 2011, 06:06 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Please have iTunes server software built-in to make Apple TV PC-free!

I'd also like to see QoS, ThunderBolt, USB 3, and maybe more ports.

miles01110
Jun 21, 2011, 06:10 AM
I'd also like to see QoS, ThunderBolt, USB 3, and maybe more ports.

Thunderbolt would just be an excuse to charge the Apple premium. It is completely worthless on a wireless router.

miles01110
Jun 21, 2011, 06:22 AM
Unless it comes with Thunderbolt (for initial Backup & move Large files quickly) and a way to link up to my AppleTV via Wifi there is no way I am going to buy this.

It is a complete nightmare trying to move large Aperture or Motion files, which transfer at a snails pace.

News flash: transfer speed over wireless is rarely limited by the wireless protocol. It's almost always the crappy processors that get put into consumer routers.

SactoGuy18
Jun 21, 2011, 06:37 AM
Is Apple upgrading the Airport Extreme because of increased competition from the Cisco Linksys E4200, Netgear WNDR4000 (N750), or other serious, high-end dual-band Gigabit Ethernet-compatible routers that came out lately?

reclusive46
Jun 21, 2011, 06:49 AM
The time capsule and airport extreem have gone back to 24 hour shipping in UK

Edit: Seems to have changed back now to 2-3 weeks

OmegaRed1723
Jun 21, 2011, 06:52 AM
Here in the US everything is still listed as shipping in 24 hours. Even if an update doesn't come today, it's nice to know that a refresh is imminent. I really want better 5GHz range, and hopefully these will make that a reality.

radiogoober
Jun 21, 2011, 07:01 AM

Anyway, I still do not 'get' the AirPort Extreme extra expense over a 40 router.

lol. This has to be possibly the worst request ever.

ljocampo
Jun 21, 2011, 07:02 AM
Thunderbolt would just be an excuse to charge the Apple premium. It is completely worthless on a wireless router.

The AEBS is not JUST a wireless router. It has three Gigabit ethernet ports.

fkhan3
Jun 21, 2011, 07:04 AM

Yes definately! you can return/exchange it if new one comes out. Most likely to happen real soon.

diamond.g
Jun 21, 2011, 07:05 AM
The AEBS is not JUST a wireless router. It has three Gigabit ethernet ports.

So it is a switch as well?

radiogoober
Jun 21, 2011, 07:06 AM
2) backing up non-PC devices. iPhones, iPads, iPod touches. Because, again, many are too lazy or stupid to regularly hook them up to a PC.

I was enjoying your post until I see you say some people are too "stupid" to regularly hook an iDevice to a PC. A lot of people just don't give a damn, and don't want to sit there and manage an iTunes sync to their iDevice, and aren't anal retentive about the contents of their phone. To a lot of people (probably the majority), it's just a dang phone.

diamond.g
Jun 21, 2011, 07:11 AM
I was enjoying your post until I see you say some people are too "stupid" to regularly hook an iDevice to a PC. A lot of people just don't give a damn, and don't want to sit there and manage an iTunes sync to their iDevice, and aren't anal retentive about the contents of their phone. To a lot of people (probably the majority), it's just a dang phone.

And it is good to see Apple is slowly figuring that out (with respect to the PC-free setup).

Piggie
Jun 21, 2011, 07:19 AM
Given it's pretty simple to find out the difference in price between 2TB and 3TB of HDD Storage.

Anyone care to take a stab in the dark of how much more Apple will charge for the 3TB version over the 2TB version, given that HDD capacity would be the only difference between the two models.

Also, and forgive me if this is a dumb question :)
How do you back these up so you don't lose your data when the drive inside goes wrong, as all HDD's do eventually?

steadysignal
Jun 21, 2011, 07:28 AM

that is some small house you have there...

WiiDSmoker
Jun 21, 2011, 07:34 AM
With Post-PC upon us, it is unfeasible to allow users to have to have a PC to store their iTunes data on and for that computer to be on and for iTunes to be open.

With the new Time Capsule it could store their data from the iPad/iPhone and act like a iTunes Server to serve up to the iPad/iPhone/Apple TV/iCloud/iPod Touch.

Yes?

shareef777
Jun 21, 2011, 07:41 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

What're the chances it has raid? I'm desperately trying to get a wireless raid solution for my MacBook that allows me to mount a drive in finder as if it was a local drive. I share my computer with the wife and she doesn't quite get how to mount a remote drive.

Jackberger
Jun 21, 2011, 07:43 AM
http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/

Time Capsule. Automatic wireless backup for your Mac. Available in 2TB and 3TB models. Starting $299.

WannaGoMac
Jun 21, 2011, 07:46 AM
Unless it comes with Thunderbolt (for initial Backup & move Large files quickly) and a way to link up to my AppleTV via Wifi there is no way I am going to buy this.

It is a complete nightmare trying to move large Aperture or Motion files, which transfer at a snails pace.

Mine has been sitting there for almost a year without use. I have used it a few times to connect via iPad to view videos stored on the TimeCapsule, but as far as a practical HD to store content the current version has allot to be desired.

Do your first backup using 1gb wired network connection. That will take care of the first backup

peskaa

Time Capsule. Automatic wireless backup for your Mac. Available in 2TB and 3TB models. Starting $299.

So much for a price cut!

OmegaRed1723
Also, and forgive me if this is a dumb question :)
How do you back these up so you don't lose your data when the drive inside goes wrong, as all HDD's do eventually?

You can't backup a TM backup (at least not easily). The route more people take is to clone the HDD of the computer with a program like SuperDuper.

I don't see prices changing much from what they are. People say the AEBS is expensive -- which it is -- but so is the competiton. The Cisco E4200 is $160 on Amazon, though admittedly it does have features (QOS, UPnP) that the AEBS does not.

trip1ex
Jun 21, 2011, 07:50 AM
NOt seeing the cached software updates as a selling point.

edit: if they exist.

UnseenLlama
Jun 21, 2011, 07:54 AM
You can't backup a TM backup (at least not easily). The route more people take is to clone the HDD of the computer with a program like SuperDuper.

I don't see prices changing much from what they are. People say the AEBS is expensive -- which it is -- but so is the competiton. The Cisco E4200 is $160 on Amazon, though admittedly it does have features (QOS, UPnP) that the AEBS does not.

You can easily create a backup of your Time Capsule by following these steps

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1281

Macman74
Jun 21, 2011, 07:58 AM
So much for a price cut!

I see the announcement located here:

but when you go into the "Buy" link, it only shows the 1TB and 2TB options available for sale. Is the website just not updated yet to reflect the available models or is this not available until a later date?

diamond.g
Jun 21, 2011, 07:59 AM

That is pretty anti-climatic...

extradryny
Jun 21, 2011, 08:00 AM
News flash: transfer speed over wireless is rarely limited by the wireless protocol. It's almost always the crappy processors that get put into consumer routers.

Certainly the case with my 1st gen time capsule, or as I like to call it, my external pinwheel generator.

Jackberger
Jun 21, 2011, 08:04 AM
http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

The new AirPort Extreme is the perfect wireless solution for home, school, and small business.

$179.-

trip1ex
Jun 21, 2011, 08:08 AM

Mine has been sitting there for almost a year without use. I have used it a few times to connect via iPad to view videos stored on the TimeCapsule, but as far as a practical HD to store content the current version has allot to be desired.

YOu can use gigabit ethernet for initial backup. :eek: AT best TB would be a small increase in transfer rate. You're more limited by the speed of the hard drive inside.

But it would be awesome if the $300 Time Capsule could also be used as an iTunes server.

trip1ex
Jun 21, 2011, 08:13 AM
http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

The new AirPort Extreme is the perfect wireless solution for home, school, and small business.

$179.-

Not sure that's new.

They still say the Mac Mini is new and the Macbook Airs are new.

So the word "new" doesn't mean anything.

Don't see anything else to indicate it is new.

kfscoll
Jun 21, 2011, 08:21 AM
Not sure that's new.

They still say the Mac Mini is new and the Macbook Airs are new.

So the word "new" doesn't mean anything.

Don't see anything else to indicate it is new.

It's not new. If you add it to your cart and then proceed to checkout you'll see that the model number is still MC340LL/A.

I'm really interested to see how they change the AEBS. The current generation has 3x3 MIMO already. I'm sure there's something up Apple's sleeve just not sure what.

trip1ex
Jun 21, 2011, 08:28 AM
It's not new. If you add it to your cart and then proceed to checkout you'll see that the model number is still MC340LL/A.

I'm really interested to see how they change the AEBS. The current generation has 3x3 MIMO already. I'm sure there's something up Apple's sleeve just not sure what.

Well the Time Capsule isn't updated in the store either, but the description under Mac accessories is new.

That TC description tells you everything you need to know about a new AEBS. IT appears the only update for AEBS will be faster wireless N throughput and/or longer range and better heat dissipation. Small refinements in other words.

Tonewheel
Jun 21, 2011, 08:40 AM
Just bought a new AEBS on ebay for $109. Works flawlessly, as expected. However, seeing new units are imminent really got me PO'd, but thinking about it, what new features (not design changes) could they be implementing that I'd find useful? I use it simply as a wireless router...that's it. No USB HDD, no remote printing, just a wireless router.

ljocampo
Jun 21, 2011, 08:40 AM
So it is a switch as well?

Yes... just like a typical LinkSys. AEBS router switches 3 wired IP devices with (GigaBit Ethernet) and supplies multiple IPs to devices through (WiFi).

CplBadboy
Jun 21, 2011, 09:41 AM

Apple canned the restocking fee about 6mths ago. go back to the store and pick up a new AEBS for one that............LOOKS and FUNCTIONS THE SAME as the previous gen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Update FAIL from Apple.

jonnysods
Jun 21, 2011, 02:11 PM
Those are some tasty upgrades. I would love to get a cheaper Express for some airplay speakers in the house.

hitekalex
Jun 21, 2011, 02:44 PM

Why the heck would you want ADSL modem built into your router?? What happens when you want to switch to DOCSIS cable? You are going to swap out the whole router?

tivoboy
Jun 21, 2011, 05:08 PM

What do you think:

Man, we were WAY off target, too bad. I would have liked a new one for 229$. this must be the new apple austerity we've been experiencing.

HOW can an extra 1TB in the 3TB model be 200$ more than the 2TB version?

SimonTheSoundMa
Jun 21, 2011, 05:10 PM
Why the heck would you want ADSL modem built into your router?? What happens when you want to switch to DOCSIS cable? You are going to swap out the whole router?

I can't get cable.

I do not know of any reasonably cheap standalone ADSL modems, and almost all routers have ADSL modems, apart from Apple's own offering.

academytim
Jun 21, 2011, 05:12 PM
I posted this in another thread as well...however I have yet to see any of the news blogs pick up on this. While the price, overall appearance remains the same on the Airport Extreme, there seams to be a significant difference in the radio performance.

According to the FCC reports, there is a significant difference in the power output of the g/n radios at both 2.4 and 5ghz...

Previous Version...(follow the link, then click on the "Report" link)
****************B8PIu

New Version...
****************3yKRl

Previous Version...

freqency range mode output power dbm output power watts
2412-2462 802.11b 24.57 286.42
2412-2462 802.11g 21.56 143.22
2412-2462 802.11n(ht20) 21.17 130.92

5745-5825 802.11a 23.07 202.77
5745-5805 802.11n(ht20) 22.17 164.82
5755-5795 802.11n(ht40) 21.44 139.32

New Version...

2412-2462 802.11b 24.10 257.04
2412-2462 802.11g 24.88 307.61
2412-2462 802.11n(ht20) 24.11 257.63

5745-5825 802.11a 25.14 326.59
5745-5805 802.11n(ht20) 25.28 337.29
5755-5795 802.11n(ht40) 25.94 392.64

This should mean a fairly significant increase in range with the new model. I would imagine these figures would carry over to the Time Capsule as well.

hitekalex
Jun 21, 2011, 05:24 PM
I can't get cable.

I do not know of any reasonably cheap standalone ADSL modems, and almost all routers have ADSL modems, apart from Apple's own offering.

Here in the US, nearly all people in metro areas have a choice of DSL or Cable/DOCSIS. So hard-wiring a specific broadband technology into a router wouldn't make sense.

eBay is flooded with run-of-the-mill ADSL modems for as little as $10 bucks.

OllyW
Jun 21, 2011, 05:32 PM
I can't get cable.

We managed to find some stand alone ADSL modems for a UK member in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1164400).

cmaier
Jun 21, 2011, 05:34 PM
I can't get cable.

Many companies make stand-alone ADSL modems (I used DSL for years and went through about 4 different brands). And contrary to your statement, most routers do not have ADSL modems in them.

OllyW
Jun 21, 2011, 05:38 PM
Many companies make stand-alone ADSL modems (I used DSL for years and went through about 4 different brands). And contrary to your statement, most routers do not have ADSL modems in them.

That might be true in your country but here in the UK they are about 50/50 in ratio to normal routers.

radiogoober
Jun 21, 2011, 05:44 PM
lol at the guy wanting his cable modem built into apple's offering, and insulting apple because they didn't do such a stupid, stupid, stupid thing.

fat jez
Jun 21, 2011, 05:51 PM

Yep, I use a Draytek Vigor 120 along with an AEBS. Works fine, just obviously means you need an extra plug socket.

HE15MAN
Jun 21, 2011, 05:54 PM
So is the new Airport available?

Dkrogh
Jun 21, 2011, 05:54 PM
So through reading page 5, it seems as though new AEBS, and TC's were announced but not much is really known what all of the new features are besides new frequency rages?

cmaier
Jun 21, 2011, 05:56 PM
Yep, I use a Draytek Vigor 120 along with an AEBS. Works fine, just obviously means you need an extra plug socket.

I've had at least speedstream, motorola, and zoom. I found the zoom worked the best. I also found that routers with built in dsl tended to be low end affairs with little configurability, and that having a separate router allowed me maximum flexibility - i could swap dsl modems without having to re-do my NAT, wifi settings, port forwarding, etc.

It also worked well in the end since I was able to switch to docsis without having to re-configure my network.

Almost every time I've seen a router with built-in modem it's been some crappy thing AT&T is trying to foist on me. Go to Fry's, best buy, or check newegg.com and you'll see almost all the routers lack modems.

fat jez
Jun 21, 2011, 06:00 PM
Go to Fry's, best buy, or check newegg.com and you'll see almost all the routers lack modems.

To be honest, that's because you're looking at a market that's heavily biased towards cable. In the UK cable is a minority (basically, the only cable company ran out of money and can't afford to expand), which means for most of us we are stuck using ADSL on poor quality copper lines (which is why few people in the UK get more than a 3-4Mbps download rates. The main telco, BT, refuses to put fibre down unless it gets significant government subsidy (which is unlikely to happen).

Rock and hard place, really.

But I totally take your point about swapping out kit and not having to reconfigure your network.

HE15MAN
Jun 21, 2011, 06:02 PM
I just spoke with Apple, and they said the only changes to the AEBS is very slight changes to the casing, and gift wrapping options......

academytim
Jun 21, 2011, 06:06 PM
I just spoke with Apple, and they said the only changes to the AEBS is very slight changes to the casing, and gift wrapping options......

I generally find that the people you call on the phone aren't briefed about anything other then what is on the website. Apple's website doesn't list anything different about the New Airport Extreme. However if you go to the links I posted in regards to the FCC reports for both the previous and current model, you will see that there is indeed a change in regards to the radio performance.

Jest3r
Jun 21, 2011, 06:08 PM
I generally find that the people you call on the phone aren't briefed about anything other then what is on the website. Apple's website doesn't list anything different about the New Airport Extreme. However if you go to the links I posted in regards to the FCC reports for both the previous and current model, you will see that there is indeed a change in regards to the radio performance.

Greetings from B'ham... :)

academytim
Jun 21, 2011, 06:09 PM
Greetings from B'ham... :)

yea haw...Jester's dead!

Whats up man?

Jest3r
Jun 21, 2011, 06:11 PM
yea haw...Jester's dead!

Whats up man?

Just trying to fly under the radar... ;)

I'm good! Hope the family is well!

HE15MAN
Jun 21, 2011, 08:43 PM

I spoke with an online person. But probably same scenario. So you are saying it should have better signal strength?

academytim
Jun 21, 2011, 08:51 PM
I spoke with an online person. But probably same scenario. So you are saying it should have better signal strength?

Indeed. According to the FCC reports for both the previous and current model, the range should be significantly improved for g and n networks. I will know for sure soon enough, I ordered mine today. My 4th gen was a victim of a thunderstorm last week.

haruhiko
Jun 21, 2011, 08:56 PM
Oh no... it is not cheaper, doesn't run iOS, is not smaller, costs $200 for 1TB more, and it doesn't store iOS updates, isn't an iTunes media server, does not support AirPlay, .................

So my 2009 AEBS with external drive is still the best combination.. thanks Apple for stopping me from spending again and again on your products :D

hitekalex
Jun 21, 2011, 09:14 PM
Oh no... it is not cheaper, doesn't run iOS, is not smaller, costs $200 for 1TB more, and it doesn't store iOS updates, isn't an iTunes media server, does not support AirPlay, .................

So my 2009 AEBS with external drive is still the best combination.. thanks Apple for stopping me from spending again and again on your products :D

Not too sure about that.. AEBS with USB-attached "AirDrive" makes for one dog of a slow NAS. And you have to have two separate devices powered up.

The way to look at this update - Apple just dropped the price on 2TB TC by $200. $299 for a 2TB NAS with integrated AEX router isn't a terrible teal.

academytim
Jun 21, 2011, 09:17 PM
The 2TB Time Capsule at $299 isn't too bad of a deal. That being said, I really think the 3TB version should be coming in at $399 instead of $499. A $200 premium for 1TB is fairly ridiculous.

kfscoll
Jun 22, 2011, 06:26 AM
Not too sure about that.. AEBS with USB-attached "AirDrive" makes for one dog of a slow NAS. And you have to have two separate devices powered up.

The way to look at this update - Apple just dropped the price on 2TB TC by $200. $299 for a 2TB NAS with integrated AEX router isn't a terrible teal.
Honest question here -- how is an AEBS with USB-attached drive significantly slower than a TC? At least over wireless, transfer speeds wouldn't be limited by the relatively-slow USB 2.0 connection...

radiogoober
Jun 22, 2011, 07:41 AM
Honest question here -- how is an AEBS with USB-attached drive significantly slower than a TC? At least over wireless, transfer speeds wouldn't be limited by the relatively-slow USB 2.0 connection...

I can't answer any technical part of that question, but I do use a AEBS with a USB drive attached. Actually, I have a USB hub attached to it, and then my printer and HD are attached.

I usually copy back and forth 1 GB files. It's not that slow man. It's not a dog. I honestly would pretty much say the only speed limit is the WiFi connection.

Mr. Wonderful
Jun 22, 2011, 08:25 AM

I've transfered over CAT6, and speeds are still pathetic. There's something up with the AirPort Extreme hardware that causes USB to transfer at only a fraction of its full speed. Like, only a few MB/s.

kfscoll
Jun 22, 2011, 11:40 AM
I can't answer any technical part of that question, but I do use a AEBS with a USB drive attached. Actually, I have a USB hub attached to it, and then my printer and HD are attached.

I usually copy back and forth 1 GB files. It's not that slow man. It's not a dog. I honestly would pretty much say the only speed limit is the WiFi connection.

My experience is very similar to yours. With both my iMac and my MacBook Pro I get ~100Mbps throughput when moving files to and from the USB drive connected to my AEBS. Ethernet connections might be another story, but I just don't see how a TC's performance would significantly beat an AEBS+USB drive combo's performance over wireless. Plus, I have 4TB worth of "NAS" space connected to my AEBS (one 1TB drive and one 3TB drive) for less than the cost of a 3TB TC.

hitekalex
Jun 22, 2011, 12:35 PM
Ethernet connections might be another story, but I just don't see how a TC's performance would significantly beat an AEBS+USB drive combo's performance over wireless.

Why does everyone keep assuming Wireless connectivity? Time Capsule comes with Gigabit Ethernet wired ports. If you're like me and move a lot of data around (think 6GB video files) or do large backups - Gigabit wired NAS is the only way to go.

USB-attached AEBS "AirDisk" can maybe support ~6MB/s throughput (based on real world results posted in Apple support forums). So you're talking about over 15 minute transfer time for a 6GB file, versus little over 1 minute with my Gigabit-wired TC. No thanks.

tivoboy
Jun 22, 2011, 01:29 PM
Why does everyone keep assuming Wireless connectivity? Time Capsule comes with Gigabit Ethernet wired ports. If you're like me and move a lot of data around (think 6GB video files) or do large backups - Gigabit wired NAS is the only way to go.

USB-attached AEBS "AirDisk" can maybe support ~6MB/s throughput (based on real world results posted in Apple support forums). So you're talking about over 15 minute transfer time for a 6GB file, versus little over 1 minute with my Gigabit-wired TC. No thanks.

If one is actually wired into the GIGE, then yes. I think the only real variance for the TC vs. AEBS + USB harddrive solution is that the USB2.0 is capped at about 400MB, probably real world only 250MB max. With GIGE, you MIGHT be able be BEAT that, so could use the internal hard drive speed, but over 802.11N, your bottleneck is going to be the wireless and not the read/write speed of the USB vs. internal.

Personally, for the $$, I would probably go AEBS plus USB drives which can be purchased for much lower prices than apple charges, swapped out over time, daisy chained (I believe) or put on with a HUB allowing both redundant backup or segregated usage. It is probably also easier to get green drives and more robust drives than what apple has historically put into the TC solutions.

Where is the information that says the throughput to the external USB is capped at 6MB/s

hitekalex
Jun 22, 2011, 03:00 PM
If one is actually wired into the GIGE, then yes. I think the only real variance for the TC vs. AEBS + USB harddrive solution is that the USB2.0 is capped at about 400MB, probably real world only 250MB max.

OK, first off, UBS 2.0 theoretical top speed is 480 Mbit/s (that's bits), which translates to 60MB (bytes). I don't know where you got 400MB, but that's incorrect. Real-world read speeds of USB-attached hard drives range in ~35MB/s ballpark, write speeds are lower.

The AirDisk speeds fall WAY below that. Do some searches on Apple support forums - there is a number of threads with people complaining about poor throughput (5-7MB) of their AEBS/AirDisk setups.

With GIGE, you MIGHT be able be BEAT that, so could use the internal hard drive speed

GigE theoretical speed is 120MB/s, real world speeds probably around 80MB. More than double of USB 2.0 speeds.

Personally, for the $$, I would probably go AEBS plus USB drives which can be purchased for much lower prices than apple charges, swapped out over time, daisy chained (I believe) or put on with a HUB allowing both redundant backup or segregated usage.

You can't daisy-chain USB drives, unless you mean putting multiple drives on the same Hub. In that case, you're sharing single USB bus bandwidth between multiple drives, and your effective throughput is even worse. Also keep in mind that self-upgrading TC drives isn't a very difficult process (although not officially supported by Apple). I can quite easily upgrade my 2TB TC to a 4TB, when 3.5" 4TB drives start shipping.

At the end of the day - if you want high-performance reliable NAS - I would most certainly go with TC. If you want to save a few bucks and performance isn't important to you - AEBS+USB drive may be a good option.

kfscoll
Jun 22, 2011, 09:09 PM

Really? I get consistent 12-13MB/s throughput between the USB hard drive attached to my AEBS and both my iMac and MBP (which are both on a different floor than the AEBS) all day long.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kfscoll/images/throughput.JPG