PDA

View Full Version : FCC Documents Confirm New AirPort Extreme

MacRumors
Jun 21, 2011, 04:11 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/fcc-documents-confirms-new-airport-extreme/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/airportex-500x567.png
Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/21/apple-airport-extreme-refresh-outed-by-the-fcc-lending-credence/) points to a newly published FCC filing (https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=878510&fcc_id=%27BCGA1408) that confirms that Apple is about to launch a new AirPort Extreme imminently. The FCC just trumped Cupertino's plan to sneak out an updated AirPort Extreme wireless base station with the outing of an Apple 3x3 802.11n access point, model A1408. Apple typically times release of FCC documentation with the release date, so we expect new AirPort Extremes (and Time Capsules) today (Tuesday).

There are reported (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/apple-to-launch-cheaper-airport-extreme-3tb-time-capsule/) to be 3 new devices: 1 AirPort Extreme and 2 Time Capsules (2TB and 3TB).

Article Link: FCC Documents Confirm New AirPort Extreme (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/fcc-documents-confirms-new-airport-extreme/)

haruhiko
Jun 21, 2011, 04:13 AM
Great... but I'm still thinking why will I have to update my 2009 AEBS (4th Gen)

and...so there will be no new AirPort Express :(

ovrlrd
Jun 21, 2011, 04:17 AM
As I said in the other story, I think they will redesign this to look similar to the current Mac Mini.

arian19
Jun 21, 2011, 04:17 AM
you'd think they would wait till lion was released

Especially because if it had iCloud features, it wouldn't be in line with lion yet... makes you wonder if there will be any iCoud + (TimeCapsule/Airport Extreme/Airport Express) features tied together.... it seems unlikely with a release today (before lion)

puercaeli
Jun 21, 2011, 04:18 AM
Ok so no significant design change i guess

arian19
Jun 21, 2011, 04:22 AM
BTW, it looks like Arnold Kim has the grave yard shift tonight... lol i wonder how they take turns for who publishes stories after hours... it seems like many of the don't sleep hahah

ratzzo
Jun 21, 2011, 04:23 AM
Unfortunately for Apple and fortunately for us, there is just no way they can keep their inventions secret for much time :D

Truffy

Especially because if it had iCloud features, it wouldn't be in line with lion yet... makes you wonder if there will be any iCoud + (TimeCapsule/Airport Extreme/Airport Express) features tied together.... it seems unlikely with a release today (before lion)
I was hoping for some truth to the rumour that iCloud would act as a sync for devices against local storage (with hope that the local storage could include no Apple NAS, with RAID failover).

Still looking for a simple solution to this, and I don't like single disk back-up/storage solutions.

ovrlrd

How do you figure? All we see is the bottom of the casing. It could still be made out of aluminum and be like the current gen Mac Mini. Of course they aren't gonna go for something radical, they go with design they know works, and they still need it to be large enough to hold a hard drive.

Icaras
As I said in the other story, I think they will redesign this to look similar to the current Mac Mini.

Minus the aluminum. I replied to your other comment in the last story.

Truffy
Jun 21, 2011, 04:24 AM
who publishes stories after hours
Depends on where you are on this large sphere as to when "out of hours" occurs. :rolleyes:

igazza
Jun 21, 2011, 04:24 AM

Black airport extreme would be good. :D

NutsNGum
Jun 21, 2011, 04:26 AM
How do you figure? All we see is the bottom of the casing. It could still be made out of aluminum and be like the current gen Mac Mini. Of course they aren't gonna go for something radical, they go with design they know works, and they still need it to be large enough to hold a hard drive.

But if the casing's aluminium, is that not likely to cause potential reception issues?

Icaras
Jun 21, 2011, 04:26 AM

"Design" doesn't necessarily have to mean aesthetics of course. I gather that the "redesign" was internally and, like the article states, for better heat dissipation.

ovrlrd
Jun 21, 2011, 04:30 AM
Minus the aluminum. I replied to your other comment in the last story.

You might be right, but I still hope they go with aluminum for the cooling benefits.

You are right that it can pose issues with antenna design, and I looked into the FCC posting, and they specify that it has two IFA internal antennas, so that implies there is no external (or pseudo external) antennas that could be used to get around the signal blocking properties of aluminum.

So I am probably wrong, but we will find out soon enough.

arian19
Jun 21, 2011, 04:31 AM
Depends on where you are on this large sphere as to when "out of hours" occurs. :rolleyes:

Arn is from Virginia, so this would for sure be after hours lol

Guess if you love your job a lot, you'd be up at 5:30am doing it

silusesMac
Jun 21, 2011, 04:33 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Love how some sites such as Mac rumors are up late at night upswing with new news.

pimentoLoaf
Jun 21, 2011, 04:34 AM
I need more storage now, so the 3TB looks like a winning solution. And extending my AEBS range throughout the house with TC storage device is even better.

PeckhamBog
Jun 21, 2011, 04:35 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

In the UK cable Internet Service Providers now supply nice hubs with the wireless, modem, and ports included which make the Airport redundant unless the new one has something special.

tibi08
Jun 21, 2011, 04:39 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

In the UK cable Internet Service Providers now supply nice hubs with the wireless, modem, and ports included which make the Airport redundant unless the new one has something special.

Yes, but in the UK the free hubs are absolute crap and hence I plug my crappy hub directly into my Airport. Many others do the same. Plus, the Airport has a USB port into which I can plug in my printer. The Airport never needs rebooting just to get online.

Icaras
Jun 21, 2011, 04:40 AM
You might be right, but I still hope they go with aluminum for the cooling benefits.

You are right that it can pose issues with antenna design, and I looked into the FCC posting, and they specify that it has two IFA internal antennas, so that implies there is no external (or pseudo external) antennas that could be used to get around the signal blocking properties of aluminum.

So I am probably wrong, but we will find out soon enough.

You bring up a great point that Aluminum would handle heat better, so really though, who knows? It'd be Apple magic if they got it to work well with aluminum. Anyway, can't wait to see.

jamojdm
Jun 21, 2011, 04:44 AM
hmm, I bought an Airport Extreme back on 13th June. If the new one comes out in the next couple of days (still within 14 days of purchase) will they let me swap to the new one? (I'm in the UK)

ovrlrd
Jun 21, 2011, 04:44 AM

Yeah that has been the case with US ISPs for a couple years now as well, but that still doesn't make the AirPort redundant because some of them don't come with 802.11n, and even fewer come with dual-band 5Ghz capability. There is always features that will be lacking though, especially with the dummy proof Time Machine wireless backup you can do with a Time Capsule. Plus the setup interface is a lot easier to manage than the firmware on other routers.

hmm, I bought an Airport Extreme back on 13th June. If the new one comes out in the next couple of days (still within 14 days of purchase) will they let me swap to the new one? (I'm in the UK)

Yes, that is pretty standard if you bought it from Apple. If you bought it elsewhere you will have to deal with returning it to that specific retailer.

CplBadboy
Jun 21, 2011, 05:22 AM
Please Apple whatever you do Dont make them white!!!! So 1980's and even fridge freezers have moved on from that horrid colour.

colmaclean
Jun 21, 2011, 05:25 AM
Please Apple whatever you do Dont make them white!!!! So 1980's and even fridge freezers have moved on from that horrid colour.

Still like the white look myself.

The first Airport was grey/graphite and looks horribly dated now. Well, I guess it is.

CBJammin103
Jun 21, 2011, 05:30 AM
Just a shot in the dark - maybe we'll see AirPlay functionality integrated into the Airport Extreme. Audio, HDMI...

Hey, I can hope, right? :D

hppy29
Jun 21, 2011, 05:34 AM

Yes some ISP offer free hubs in the UK but with poor wifi! I have the new BT HH3 and had the latest netgear, which I use now as a modem only with my Extreme connected providing the wifi -better signal and better throughput.

A Time Capsule is faster at backing up would be nice!

hppy29
Jun 21, 2011, 05:40 AM
Im not sure if it means anything but the USA pages for Airport / Wifi now shows "New" and the UK does not...

http://www.apple.com/uk/wifi/

http://www.apple.com/wifi/

eldertong
Jun 21, 2011, 05:43 AM
So ive been lurking for nearly 2 years now. I just got my first time capsule for father's day. Wife bought it off of amazon and it arrived on time. Much to my dismay the 1TB hd was damaged. I contacted the seller and he will be refunding the money. So now to the question. Anyone have any clue what the price point will be on the new time capsules and what that will do to the pice of the older 1TB time capsules? I know it is just speculation, but after 2 years of lurking i know that your speculation is often right on!

PeckhamBog
Jun 21, 2011, 05:48 AM

Yes, but in the UK the free hubs are absolute crap and hence I plug my crappy hub directly into my Airport. Many others do the same. Plus, the Airport has a USB port into which I can plug in my printer. The Airport never needs rebooting just to get online.

Please note I said NOW as both BT and VM have N hubs with integrated wireless, four [not three] ethernet ports, and the BT one boasts a USB port too. BT now brag about smart wireless technology that deals with interference on theirs.

Yeah that has been the case with US ISPs for a couple years now as well, but that still doesn't make the AirPort redundant because some of them don't come with 802.11n, and even fewer come with dual-band 5Ghz capability. There is always features that will be lacking though, especially with the dummy proof Time Machine wireless backup you can do with a Time Capsule. Plus the setup interface is a lot easier to manage than the firmware on other routers.

Again, the current model BT and VM are supplying are 802.11n and are plug and play from the off. The interface for those who want to tinker is both straight forward accessed from a browser and very flexible.

I do still use a 2007 AEBS but will only upgrade if the new model has significant advantages over and above the current hubs.

I don't put this post up for a battle, simply to add info relevant to the UK. :)

JohnDoe98
Jun 21, 2011, 05:48 AM
People say no aluminum because it interferes with signal, but couldn't they make the casing the actual antenna like they did with the iphone 4?

fkhan3
Jun 21, 2011, 05:50 AM

They could just release it early and offer new features via software updates

afd
Jun 21, 2011, 05:54 AM
Im not sure if it means anything but the USA pages for Airport / Wifi now shows "New" and the UK does not...

http://www.apple.com/uk/wifi/

http://www.apple.com/wifi/

Must be a wee glitch? `that's old spec isn't it?

afd
Jun 21, 2011, 05:56 AM
People say no aluminum because it interferes with signal, but couldn't they make the casing the actual antenna like they did with the iphone 4?

From what i remember Aluminium isn't a good material for an antenna.

NightFox
Jun 21, 2011, 06:00 AM
I'm hoping for the big changes to be on the inside - anything radically different on the outside and the Mrs tends to notice...

Don't think I'd get away with "Oh, I decided to paint it black" :rolleyes:

bergmef
Jun 21, 2011, 06:01 AM

Plus, what if people hold it wrong?!?

JohnDoe98
Jun 21, 2011, 06:03 AM
I do still use a 2007 AEBS but will only upgrade if the new model has significant advantages over and above the current hubs.

I see your point but the simultaneous bands for optimized performance, guest networking, time machine backups, back to my mac built in to access drives from external networks, wireless printing, are all quite nice features I doubt your ISP provided router offers (I've never seen an isp give that kind of a router unless they charge for it). And those are only the current features the Apple routers provide. I'm sure they wouldn't have updated the device if no new additional features were being added, whatever they may be. It's going to be a nice treat whatever it is.

afd
Jun 21, 2011, 06:03 AM

I don't think apple could survive the negative publicity of a Time Capsule Death Grip...

NightFox
Jun 21, 2011, 06:04 AM

I'm just so wishing I had the skill and time to do a Photoshop mockup of an aluminium AE with a complimentary black plastic and rubber bumper wrapped around the edge of it.

JohnDoe98
Jun 21, 2011, 06:04 AM

Seems good on the iphone. But maybe 3G antennas are very different.

sp3ctre
Jun 21, 2011, 06:05 AM
Excuse the dumb question here, but my Time Capsule died the other day (2 yr old) and I want to replace it when these come out.

My question is, if I get an airport extreme and an external hard drive is that the same as a time capsule? Do I lose out on anything?

I was wondering if the bottleneck would be the USB on the time capsule, but the transfer speed of the hard drive on the old time capsule was horrible anyway so I don't know?

JohnDoe98
Jun 21, 2011, 06:06 AM

I'm sure people will fondle their beloved new toy only for a couple of days. Then they will forget about it and almost never touch/hold it anymore, problem solved.

afd
Jun 21, 2011, 06:06 AM
Seems good on the iphone. But maybe 3G antennas are very different.

Iphone 4 has a stainless steel surround.

brandscill
Jun 21, 2011, 06:07 AM
I ordered 1tb time capsule a week ago from the UK Apple store. It has a dispatch date of the 27th, if they release new products today, what's the odds they will swap it for it's updated equivalent?

bizzle
Jun 21, 2011, 06:07 AM
I am hoping for a $99 price point on the base station. I doubt it'll happen, but that's the price I'm willing to pay for a router. $179 = crackpipe.

JohnDoe98
Jun 21, 2011, 06:09 AM
Excuse the dumb question here, but my Time Capsule died the other day (2 yr old) and I want to replace it when these come out.

My question is, if I get an airport extreme and an external hard drive is that the same as a time capsule? Do I lose out on anything?

I was wondering if the bottleneck would be the USB on the time capsule, but the transfer speed of the hard drive on the old time capsule was horrible anyway so I don't know?

The bottleneck will the the speed of the internet connection or the ethernet cable in all likelihood. And what you loose out on going the AEBS route is space since you need two devices now, not only 1.

JohnDoe98
Jun 21, 2011, 06:10 AM
Iphone 4 has a stainless steel surround.

So do that! Aluminum top with stainless steel surround.

NightFox
Jun 21, 2011, 06:13 AM

I've only used a Time Capsule so I'll skip the first part of your question, but as for USB bottlenecks - if you're using a wifi connection then that's going to be your bottleneck; if you're using Gb LAN then the SATA interface will, I think, be quicker than USB but the fact is once you've got your initial big backup done, the hourly incremental backups usually only take a couple of minutes anyway so I don't think any slowdown from internal to USB is actually going to be significant. Of course, if you spend every day video editing producing big file changes between every backup or use processor-instensive applications that suffer a hit when TM is running, it may be a different issue. But for most people, I'd say not a problem.

Oh, and it's one less power cable!

sp3ctre
Jun 21, 2011, 06:14 AM
The bottleneck will the the speed of the internet connection or the ethernet cable in all likelihood. And what you loose out on going the AEBS route is space since you need two devices now, not only 1.

Thanks, although speeds were horrible even when I was connected via gigabit ethernet to be honest (compared to copying to other parts of the network it was a LOT slower). Space is not an issue for me either as this is going to sit in the attic.

sp3ctre
Jun 21, 2011, 06:17 AM
I've only used a Time Capsule so I'll skip the first part of your question, but as for USB bottlenecks - if you're using a wifi connection then that's going to be your bottleneck; if you're using Gb LAN then the SATA interface will, I think, be quicker than USB but the fact is once you've got your initial big backup done, the hourly incremental backups usually only take a couple of minutes anyway so I don't think any slowdown from internal to USB is actually going to be significant. Of course, if you spend every day video editing producing big file changes between every backup or use processor-instensive applications that suffer a hit when TM is running, it may be a different issue. But for most people, I'd say not a problem.

Oh, and it's one less power cable!

Thanks, makes sense.. might go for the TC, but I guess it depends on the price point

JohnDoe98
Jun 21, 2011, 06:18 AM
Thanks, although speeds were horrible even when I was connected via gigabit ethernet to be honest (compared to copying to other parts of the network it was a LOT slower). Space is not an issue for me either as this is going to sit in the attic.

Well as Nightfox points out, for backup purposes the drives are fast enough even on USB. But if you intend to use the drive for other purposes, then yes it'll likely be rather slow through the AEBS and faster on the TC. And I guess the TC could always add more drives like the AEBS through the usb port, though those will all be slower. You might get better pricing for the storage going the AEBS route though.

NightFox
Jun 21, 2011, 06:21 AM

I know people do, but I'd always be wary of putting kit like this in the attic. I've got a pretty clean attic but there's an aerial booster in there which is warm and it attracts spiders like nothing - every time I clean it within a few weeks it's cocooned in cobwebs like something off a horror movie; Based on the heat that the Time Capsule pumps out I guess it would also become an arachnid paradise and I'm not sure that's the best environment to be storing your backups in!

realitymonkey
Jun 21, 2011, 06:22 AM
Please note I said NOW as both BT and VM have N hubs with integrated wireless, four [not three] ethernet ports, and the BT one boasts a USB port too. BT now brag about smart wireless technology that deals with interference on theirs.

Again, the current model BT and VM are supplying are 802.11n and are plug and play from the off. The interface for those who want to tinker is both straight forward accessed from a browser and very flexible.

I don't put this post up for a battle, simply to add info relevant to the UK. :)

Yup the BT Home only has one Gigabit Port and although you can access through a web browser its hardly an intuitive interface. Smart Wireless is hardly rocket science all it does is choose a wireless channel and although I have not tried it on the Homehub 3 you could not extend the wireless network on version 2. So yup the AEBS works for me. (Oh and no reboot in 12 months)

eldertong
Jun 21, 2011, 06:31 AM
Is it possible that the new AEBS has been staring us in the face for days?

jamets515
Jun 21, 2011, 06:51 AM

I'd want the black outline of the cloud to pulse like my sleeping mac...

Jun 21, 2011, 06:52 AM

let's hope so ;)

FrizzleFryBen
Jun 21, 2011, 07:24 AM

I just assumed it was so we can get it in our hands and setup correctly so we can start using new features day 1 when Lion comes out.

lazyrighteye
Jun 21, 2011, 07:27 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Maybe Apple is phasing out white plastic?
"But, they just launched a white iPhone and iPad, idiot."
Right. But those are personal devices one carries with. And people tend to like color options as a form of individuality.
Taking cues from their non portable devices, we're seeing more black in the color palette. I would not at all be surprised to see all black, plastic AEBS' & TCs next time arond. Much like the ATV2 that sits idle on the shelf, so too do these devices. Which could indicate a color change.

steadysignal
Jun 21, 2011, 07:32 AM
Black airport extreme would be good. :D

there's always paint...

:)

...but i know what you mean really. all my stuff is black, save the apple products.

7o7munoz7o7
Jun 21, 2011, 07:32 AM
Arn is from Virginia, so this would for sure be after hours lol

Guess if you love your job a lot, you'd be up at 5:30am doing it

My shift is Mon-Thur 5:30am-4:30pm so i guess i love it! lol

longofest
Jun 21, 2011, 07:36 AM
Apple typically times release of FCC documentation with the release date...

not always the case. Magic Trackpad appeared (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/19/apples-magic-trackpad-apparently-approved-by-fcc/) on FCC July 19th 2010, released (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/27/apple-releases-the-magic-trackpad/) July 27th 2010.

Beaverfish
Jun 21, 2011, 07:41 AM

That would so so awesome. +1 for pulsing cloud too. Nice idea!!

jamets515
Jun 21, 2011, 08:47 AM
AEBS has disappeared from Apple UK and US store it seems. Just TC's and express is all I'm seeing.

Concorde Rules
Jun 21, 2011, 08:54 AM
not always the case. Magic Trackpad appeared (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/19/apples-magic-trackpad-apparently-approved-by-fcc/) on FCC July 19th 2010, released (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/27/apple-releases-the-magic-trackpad/) July 27th 2010.

Hence the use of "typically" in the sentence? ;)

Shackrat
Jun 21, 2011, 09:10 AM

Aluminum makes a great antenna due to its highly conductive properties. It also makes a great RF shield, which is why it's not desirable to use an aluminum (or steel) enclosure over an antenna., Google Faraday Cage to see why that is.

mrob44
Jun 21, 2011, 10:28 AM
AEBS has disappeared from Apple UK and US store it seems. Just TC's and express is all I'm seeing.

Just noticed this myself. If you search for the AEBS it doesn't show. You can Find the Product Info page for it, from the mac > Accessories part of the site, but when you click Buy Now and Add to Cart, your cart stays empty.

gramirez2012
Jun 21, 2011, 11:04 AM
Anyone else notice that the Time Capsule is missing from the Apple Store website?

mrob44
Jun 21, 2011, 11:13 AM
Anyone else notice that the Time Capsule is missing from the Apple Store website?

Yep, Looks like they put the AEBS back up and took down the Time Capsules. In the US anyway.

aca345
Jun 21, 2011, 12:17 PM
There seems to be some confusion going on with Apple today. Although I did notice that in the FCC filing, there is a confidentiality request asking that all photos and spec diagrams remain out of public view till July 28 (180 days from date of request, April 28). The test report subsequently ends at page 253 of the full 258. Hopefully we know what's coming soon enough.