PDA

View Full Version : Apple Announces Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, and Compressor 4 Available Today

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 21, 2011, 07:35 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/apple-announces-final-cut-pro-x-motion-5-and-compressor-4-available-today/)

Apple has officially announced announced (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Apple-Revolutionizes-Video-bw-1720052124.html?x=0&.v=1) that Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5 and Compressor 4 available today:. Apple® today announced Final Cut Pro® X, a revolutionary new version of the world’s most popular Pro video editing software which completely reinvents video editing with a Magnetic Timeline that lets you edit on a flexible, trackless canvas; Content Auto-Analysis that categorizes your content upon import by shot type, media and people; and background rendering that allows you to work without interruption. Built on a modern 64-bit architecture, Final Cut Pro X is available from the Mac® App Store™ for $299.99.Final Cut Pro X is available today for $299.99 from the Mac App Store. Motion 5 and Compressor 4 are available today for $49.99 each from the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Announces Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, and Compressor 4 Available Today (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/apple-announces-final-cut-pro-x-motion-5-and-compressor-4-available-today/)

Michaelgtrusa
Jun 21, 2011, 07:37 AM
This is great news!

WiiDSmoker
Sweet, now bring out the Airport Extreme so I can replace my crappy Linksys!!

longofest
Beautiful price points

Warbrain
Jun 21, 2011, 07:38 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

All the whining I heard after WWDC about Final Cut can stop.

mBox
Jun 21, 2011, 07:38 AM
woot woot!!!

andrei.barbuta
Jun 21, 2011, 07:39 AM
Exciting times!!! Let the reviews roll!!!! Can't wait to read more about this.

mBox
Jun 21, 2011, 07:42 AM
aaackkkkk not in Canada eh!!!

jfreak623
i just hope it is a little easier to work with. I'm no big time professional but I have always wanted a combination of the simplicity of iMovie with the power and functionality of Final Cut. Can't wait to test out this new version!

AFPoster
That's awesome now I can use Compressor.

FrizzleFryBen
Jun 21, 2011, 07:43 AM
Will be hitting refresh all day until available. I'm sooooo excited!

Edit: Wait a minute, there's no refresh in the app store. I guess that makes sense.

Stig McNasty
Jun 21, 2011, 07:43 AM
No sign of FCPX in UK Apple Store.

C'MON!!! :)

Edit> Just this App Store Screen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24797650@N05/5856663394/in/photostream

bretm
Jun 21, 2011, 07:44 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

Here's some whining- they've raised the price! Or sure, not for the first time buyer. But the entire studio upgrade price for DVD SP, FCP, Soundtrack, Motion, Compressor, Cinema Tools used to be $299. So, so far, I have to pay $350 for just 3 of those. There's no upgrade pricing.

Barnzee
Jun 21, 2011, 07:44 AM
Can I upgrade from final cut express or do I have to buy the whole thing new?

glossywhite
Jun 21, 2011, 07:45 AM
Wowzers Trousers!! You have no concept of HOW EXCITED I AM! :D

iMovie Pro is out! ;) (j/k, because I LOVE iMovie).

DrJohnnyN
Jun 21, 2011, 07:46 AM
Cool.

mBox
Jun 21, 2011, 07:47 AM
Watching Overview till it shows up in Canadian soil :P

pdjudd
Jun 21, 2011, 07:47 AM
Here's some whining- they've raised the price! Or sure, not for the first time buyer. But the entire studio upgrade price for DVD SP, FCP, Soundtrack, Motion, Compressor, Cinema Tools used to be $299. So, so far, I have to pay $350 for just 3 of those. There's no upgrade pricing.

That is not only due to a side effect of the App store not permitting upgrade pricing but also probably sue to the fact that FCP X is seen as a completely separate product.

Can I upgrade from final cut express or do I have to buy the whole thing new?

No, they are separate products and there is no cross grade pricing breaks.

Skika
Jun 21, 2011, 07:54 AM
Yes! Now do the same with Logic!

MacsRgr8
Jun 21, 2011, 07:54 AM
Sweet

Surreal
Jun 21, 2011, 07:55 AM
hmm... what happened to color, soundtrack and DVD studio pro? I will hold off my whining until I hear what the status is on 'final cut studio'. While it is clear that they want us to consider this as a break from the old form, they are not clear on how much of a break it is.

baryon
Jun 21, 2011, 07:55 AM
Yesss! This day has finally come! But I don't have that much money... Any student discounts?

aafuss1
Jun 21, 2011, 07:56 AM
It appears to me that that it's the end of the line for DVD Studio Pro, maybe due a focus on other methods of distributing finished movies as it's been discontinued

Apple has decided to drop the color grading appliction, Color and even Color and Final Cut Server in order to streamline it's pro offerings. A bold move by Apple in my opinion. Looks like need to do soundtracks, you now will have to use something like Logic and third-party software if you're into color grading (as Color is now discontinued)

I'm excited by this release as you can buy individual parts of FCS like Motiobn-and at under $100,a price that's hard to beat .

Freeks
Jun 21, 2011, 07:57 AM
I would buy it but no Mac Store in Leopard :D
FAIL!

glossywhite
Jun 21, 2011, 07:57 AM
GoSee, UK users: http://www.apple.com/uk/finalcutpro/

FCPX is just 179.99!!

Surreal
Jun 21, 2011, 07:58 AM
upon reading the web page ... I think they are done with soundtrack and DVD studio pro.

interesting...

Small White Car

Only if you have 1 Mac.

I used to pay $600 every time Final Cut updated.

Very happy over here.

mdriftmeyer
Has Compressor always been able to create Blu-Ray discs?

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/compressor/#streamlined-workflow

http://images.apple.com/finalcutpro/compressor/images/timesaving_batch.jpg

Phil Lee
Jun 21, 2011, 08:00 AM
Final Cut Pro is 179.99 in the UK Mac App Store with Motion 5 and Compressor both priced at 29.99.

davidknackebrod
Jun 21, 2011, 08:00 AM
"Export and burn DVD, AVCHD disc, and Blu-ray disc"

Small White Car
Jun 21, 2011, 08:01 AM

Image (http://images.apple.com/finalcutpro/compressor/images/timesaving_batch.jpg)

I think the last one can (I don't have it) but I think in both cases it's just a video-Blu-Ray with no menus or other features.

shaunsindelman
Jun 21, 2011, 08:01 AM

Image (http://images.apple.com/finalcutpro/compressor/images/timesaving_batch.jpg)

Yes but it remains to be seen if they've added any features in terms of better menu creation or if its still a simple text on white or black bkgd style.

xionxiox
Jun 21, 2011, 08:02 AM
hmm... what happened to color, soundtrack and DVD studio pro? I will hold off my whining until I hear what the status is on 'final cut studio'. While it is clear that they want us to consider this as a break from the old form, they are not clear on how much of a break it is.

From Apple website:
"Final Cut Pro X includes the key sound editing and color grading features from Final Cut Studio, so now you can use a single application for the entire post-production workflow. Do even more with Motion and Compressor, also available from the Mac App Store."

There we are!

mBox
Jun 21, 2011, 08:02 AM
It appears to me that ther won't be a update to DVD Studio Pro, maybe due a focus on other methods of distributing finished movies...Read specs, there are DVD/BD templates from FCPX :)

fluffylion
Jun 21, 2011, 08:03 AM
would anyone know if compressor works without FCP?
eg: I could purchase it separately and use it to encode my files to disc or H264?
or is it just an optional add-on for FCP

the info page seems to suggest it can be used without FPC
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/compressor/specs/

mBox
Yes but it remains to be seen if they've added any features in terms of better menu creation or if its still a simple text on white or black bkgd style.Make your own, you will feel better for it ;)

AcesHigh87
Finally!!!!

I've been waiting since they demoed it to get this, so glad it's finally here.

thatisme
anyone notice the Blu-Ray Disc support? It's the last line of text in the app store descriptions, and also in the menu shown on Compressor's screen shots.

oops - others beat me to it....

mBox
Jun 21, 2011, 08:04 AM
eg: I could purchase it separately and use it to encode my files to disc or H264?

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/compressor/specs/Cant see why not, its a sep app. I install Compressor on a stand-alone at work so Im sure the new one is same.

mdriftmeyer
Yesss! This day has finally come! But I don't have that much money... Any student discounts?

It's already discounted.

AcesHigh87

The computers in the lab at my university used to have Final Cut but it was removed years ago. The compressor app they have still works though.

LaDirection
Jun 21, 2011, 08:06 AM
It appears to me that ther won't be a update to DVD Studio Pro, maybe due a focus on other methods of distributing finished movies.

It also seems Apple hasn't made Soundtrack available on the Mac App Store.

Functions, templates and filters/loops from DVD Studio Pro, Color & Soundtrack Pro are now a built-in part of Final Cut Pro X :

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/all-features/#audio-editing

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/all-features/#color-grading

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/all-features/#optimized-output

So no, those 3 applications were abandoned. We will have to test this out and see if what we lost/gained in the process.

OllyW
Jun 21, 2011, 08:06 AM
Final Cut Pro is 179.99 in the UK Mac App Store with Motion 5 and Compressor both priced at 29.99.

Nice to see them using the 'Aperture' exchange rate and not the 'Lion' rate. :)

scottchlee
Jun 21, 2011, 08:07 AM
Can't wait for some news for Thunderbolt drives to go along with the new FCP.

Small White Car
Jun 21, 2011, 08:07 AM
Great to see it finally launched, but I am a bit angry that there is NO upgrade price for those of us who have more than one copy to upgrade :mad:

Why are you mad about paying $400 instead of $600? (Or $900, or $1,200)

mBox
Jun 21, 2011, 08:08 AM
Downloading now in Canada ;)

yikes 1.33GB, hope my IT dept. can handle that :P

linuxcooldude
Jun 21, 2011, 08:10 AM
Yeah, I'm downloading too, only twenty more minutes.

AcesHigh87
Jun 21, 2011, 08:10 AM
Luckily my family just got Bell Fiber Op too so downloading this should go nice and fast :D

Kinda want and wait to see reactions before I buy though.

crazzyeddie
Jun 21, 2011, 08:11 AM
FAIL!

It wouldn't run on your computer anyway. It requires 10.6.7.

glossywhite
Jun 21, 2011, 08:17 AM
Why are you mad about paying $400 instead of $600? (Or $900, or $1,200)

Because some people are never happy, is why.

teme
Jun 21, 2011, 08:17 AM
How about companies which want to buy more than one license using one credit card?

EricStriffler
Jun 21, 2011, 08:18 AM
My old .fcp files won't open with FCPX. What to do, what to do...

Truffy
Jun 21, 2011, 08:18 AM
I suppose that at that price it would be churlish to ask for the upgrade cost from FCS! :rolleyes:

OTH: No DVD SP or Soundtrack? :(

mixel
Jun 21, 2011, 08:19 AM
:O

MOTION! Separate app store purchase!! YAY! I was hoping that would happen but for some reason I was fearing all of the tertiary apps would somehow be absorbed into FC. Phew.

Stig McNasty
Looks like you can still get Final Cut Studio. In the UK Apple Store it's on 24hr delivery @ 834

JPTech
I'm waiting for reviews (and money, for that matter). I've been using iMovie to edit stuff for the past couple of years, and in all honesty this does seem more like an "iMovie Pro"-not that I have a problem with that, but half of the big features they announced I feel like I've already been using for the past two years on a $50 consumer-level program. I used DVD Studio Pro once and was looking forward to when I could get my hands on it, but now it's apparently been combined with FCP... does this mean you cannot build DVDs (and menus) from scratch anymore? That would be a disappointment.

fluffylion
thanks for reply mbox and aces
i think i may use it for a possible appleTV purchase

but will wait for reviews to see what quality is like

otherwise stay with blu-ray disk

glossywhite
It's already discounted.

Uh, nooo, that's the RETAIL price. It may be *lower* than before, but don't confuse a lower RRP with "discounted".

Small White Car
Jun 21, 2011, 08:21 AM

EDL, I guess?

Kind of sucks but it happens whenever a NLE changes this drastically.

I presume FCPX doesn't overwrite your old Final Cut so that's the other answer.

glossywhite
Jun 21, 2011, 08:22 AM
Looks like you can still get Final Cut Studio. In the UK Apple Store it's on 24hr delivery @ 834

That's faster than dialup! :)

KPOM
Jun 21, 2011, 08:23 AM
I notice that Final Cut now officially supports the Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics. Previously, it required NVIDIA integrated graphics or a dedicated GPU.

EricStriffler
Jun 21, 2011, 08:26 AM
EDL, I guess?

Kind of sucks but it happens whenever a NLE changes this drastically.

I presume FCPX doesn't overwrite your old Final Cut so that's the other answer.

It does overwrite it.

Surreal
Jun 21, 2011, 08:26 AM
Here is a better outline of the state of affairs
http://www.philiphodgetts.com/2011/06/what-are-the-answers-to-the-unanswered-questions-about-final-cut-pro-x/

glossywhite
Jun 21, 2011, 08:27 AM
And some people work with these programs for a living.

So if it earns you money, you have even less of a reason to complain. Is being "angry" going to make it less money? Get over it, buy it, move on.

Small White Car
Jun 21, 2011, 08:28 AM
My original copy was 2450 euros years ago, then FCS 3 was 1200 euros! for all apps, but apple has always given a 299 euro update price! now I have to pay 317 euros for a suit with 3 apps less! (or integrated) Color,Soundtrack,DVD Studio. ok granted that I have never used DVD studio in years! but color correction and sound editing seems a bit crazy inside another App, I need more precision and not the iMovie sound edit features! lets hope I am wrong, but on this one will sit it out a while before I upgrade.

Your post said you had multiple copies. So you used to pay 598 euros to upgrade 2 Macs and now you're paying 317 euros to upgrade 2 Macs.

Still don't understand the problem...

It does overwrite it.

Wow, really??

I'd assumed it'd be like Quick Time X and Quick Time 7 and they'd live side by side. This is disturbing news if true.

d-boy86
Jun 21, 2011, 08:28 AM
Can we now import AVI videos w/o a problem?

JazzCollector
Jun 21, 2011, 08:30 AM
This is the one program that Apple should port over to the Windows 7 platform. I can't imagine they are making more $ by selling the server vs the much larger market for FCP in the Windows world.

cmfilms
Jun 21, 2011, 08:31 AM
It's my busiest season, but without being able to easily move projects from FCS7 to X, no multiclip function and no clear path for authoring DVDs, this looks like a wait and see purchase. No reason to jam up my business for a month while I work through these.

BenRoethig
Jun 21, 2011, 08:31 AM

The features of color, soundtrack, and DVD studio are integrated into final cut.

cburton
Jun 21, 2011, 08:32 AM
"Choose from a set of themed menus and burn a DVD or Blu-ray disc"

Can't say I'm excited about this ... nothing mentioned about creating your own menus/graphics. Can't wait to see the reviews ...

Say it ain't so!

Chris

LemonsofDeath
Jun 21, 2011, 08:32 AM

Export your project as an XML file in the old Final Cut Pro. Then open the XML file in the new one. It won't be 100% perfect, but it works pretty well.

(You can also use XML's to go between any major NLE programs)

trip1ex
Jun 21, 2011, 08:33 AM
Nice price. WAsn't the gimped version of it $200 before?

K.B.
Jun 21, 2011, 08:33 AM
Functions, templates and filters/loops from DVD Studio Pro, Color & Soundtrack Pro are now a built-in part of Final Cut Pro X :

So no, those 3 applications were abandoned. We will have to test this out and see if what we lost/gained in the process.

Sorry to be dense if I am being so--- but DVDSP is now built into FCPX and not a stand-alone?

Bearxor
Jun 21, 2011, 08:34 AM
It wouldn't run on your computer anyway. It requires 10.6.7.

It requires 10.6.7 because it requires the App Store ;).

jmille44
Jun 21, 2011, 08:34 AM
Looking forward to Motion 5 and downloading it now. 3 minutes to go.
I hope I can import old motion projects and I hope the old templates work.

7o7munoz7o7
Jun 21, 2011, 08:35 AM
if you read about FCP-X it shows you can burn directly to DVD/Blu Ray from FCP....Wonder if that means Blu-Ray drives WILL in fact be coming to the Mac....and burning directly from FCP is a NICE touch! :D:apple:

Stuipdboy1000
Interesting to see Apple has removed Final Cut Express from it's software lineup (certainly on www.apple.com/mac/). Still available on the store.

daneoni
Pretty amazing price points. But i just realised no more education discounts with the advent of this 'Everything through the App Store' malarkey

Small White Car
Jun 21, 2011, 08:36 AM
It requires 10.6.7 because it requires the App Store ;).

Nope. The App Store came out in 10.6.6 so if you were right THAT would be the minimum number.

The requirement clearly has other reasons behind it.

cmfilms
Jun 21, 2011, 08:37 AM
Pretty amazing price points. But i just realised no more education discounts with the advent of this 'Everything through the App Store' malarkey

Just pretend everyone else had to 499 for it. 299 is a stunning price whether you're a pro, hobbyist or student.

EricStriffler
Jun 21, 2011, 08:38 AM
This... doesn't seem good. At all. Obviously I've only been playing with it for half an hour but I haven't liked much about it. I'm hoping when I reinstall FCP Studio it will allow both to exist so I can continue playing with X.

nerdo
Jun 21, 2011, 08:38 AM
compressor has always worked without FCP, and now it is even sold seperately so my bet is yes.

Just bought all three apps so will check it out ASAP

cburton
Jun 21, 2011, 08:39 AM
Sorry to be dense if I am being so--- but DVDSP is now built into FCPX and not a stand-alone?

All three are built in now ... but no one seems sure what features of those three made it in or got dropped.

gorgeousninja
Jun 21, 2011, 08:39 AM
Uh, nooo, that's the RETAIL price. It may be *lower* than before, but don't confuse a lower RRP with "discounted".
Why? Do you really want them to say "normal price is $900 but you can have it for; not $800, not even $700, but only $600 ladies and gentlemen! Until stocks last"....like some cheesy 50's ad....

seisend
Jun 21, 2011, 08:40 AM
NO MULTICAM EDITING FOR NOW???

this is an absolute NO GO for me. At least for version 10.0 !

"Does Final Cut Pro X support Multicam/Multicamera switching?
At the initial release of version 1, Final Cut Pro X does not have a multicamera editing feature, a.k.a. multicam. I was told that Apple have, with Final Cut Pro X, been re-examining everything to work out how to reimagine and improve it. Multicam will come in a future release, when Apple decide how best to implement it within the new application and architecture."

source: http://www.philiphodgetts.com/2011/06/what-are-the-answers-to-the-unanswered-questions-about-final-cut-pro-x/

glossywhite
Jun 21, 2011, 08:41 AM
This... doesn't seem good. At all. Obviously I've only been playing with it for half an hour but I haven't liked much about it. I'm hoping when I reinstall FCP Studio it will allow both to exist so I can continue playing with X.

Half an hour? Hardly enough time to complain!

Chillviper
Jun 21, 2011, 08:41 AM
Anyone know if FCPX will support AVCHD Lite? I see it supports all the Panasonic AVC-Intra specs but can't tell if it will support the output from my Leica D-Lux 5 directly.

macbwizard
Jun 21, 2011, 08:42 AM
Wonder if they'll release a stripped down FCE for even less. That could be interesting.

EricStriffler
Half an hour? Hardly enough time to complain!

I'm not complaining so much as just... downgrading and trying to forget what I'm seeing.

jmille44
Purchased Motion 5 alone. The included templates are few and you can not use the MOtion 4 templates. :(

xper
Jun 21, 2011, 08:44 AM
Wonder if they'll release a stripped down FCE for even less. That could be interesting.
Dude, they already have, its called iMovie

(not saying FCPX is like a better version of iMovie, just saying i doubt apple think there is enough of a gap between those 2)

glossywhite
Jun 21, 2011, 08:44 AM
I'm not complaining so much as just... downgrading and trying to forget what I'm seeing.

That made no sense to me. Here is a phrase you'll hear a LOT:

"At first I thought I wouldn't like it, BUT..." - predictable and imminent. May take some longer than others, but I doubt you will dislike it for long.

Dude, they already have, its called iMovie

(not saying FCPX is like a better version of iMovie, just saying i doubt apple think there is enough of a gap between those 2)

Your implication is that there's something "wrong" with iMovie, and there certainly isn't. Horses for courses. iMovie users are going to take to this much quicker than plain old FCE/FCP users, I feel; we have a headstart on the UI and workflow ;)

Reach
Jun 21, 2011, 08:48 AM
Purchased Motion 5 alone. The included templates are few and you can not use the MOtion 4 templates. :(

This is what bothers me - it seems to include far less templates, and probably media... I remember installing quite a few DVDs for FCS2. Anyone think there willbe a way to get that kind of content for the new version?

grmatt
Jun 21, 2011, 08:49 AM
FAIL!

Spend an extra $29 and get Snow Leopard.

samcraig
Jun 21, 2011, 08:49 AM
Will hold off for now. While some features are definitely worth upgrading - here are some that make we want to wait

1) no side by side support. I don't understand why you can't have FCP and FCP X both installed. Can you have both Motions installed?

2) Previous motion templates not functional

3) no multicam support

4) cannot easily import previous projects.

Now all of these could be handled by having both versions installed. But that's also not exactly "user friendly"...

I'm sure some/all of these will be resolved. I hope anyway. But until there's progress there. I'll wait. As tempting as it might be.

dlastmango
Jun 21, 2011, 08:50 AM
Can someone tell me if this overwrites final cut pro 7 or is this a stand alone app. Kind of like when the newer version of iMovie came out. The older version was still available to use
What I'm hoping for is that I can continue to use FCP 7 for my older projects and use FCP X for new/less critical projects.

Thanks!
Chris

chrono1081
Jun 21, 2011, 08:51 AM
I hope a similar upgrade for aperture is in the works.

The new final cut looks really nice.. Unfortunately no matter what Apple does with it people will bitch. If they don't add enough features then "Apple doesn't care about the pro users" and if they don't streamline any features then "Apple has bloated software."

As always though, a poor artist blames his tools.

iBug2
Jun 21, 2011, 08:51 AM
Is Compressor 4 an 64Bit application like Motion 5 and FCP X or still 32Bit?

SicMX
Jun 21, 2011, 08:52 AM
if you read about FCP-X it shows you can burn directly to DVD/Blu Ray from FCP....Wonder if that means Blu-Ray drives WILL in fact be coming to the Mac....and burning directly from FCP is a NICE touch! :D:apple:

One can only hope! If Blu-Ray does come to the Mac, it'll only come to the desktops though (Mac Pro, iMac and Mac Mini). Realistically I don't think it'll ever come to the Mac due to licencing and technical issues.

EricStriffler
Jun 21, 2011, 08:52 AM
Can someone tell me if this overwrites final cut pro 7 or is this a stand alone app. Kind of like when the newer version of iMovie came out. The older version was still available to use
What I'm hoping for is that I can continue to use FCP 7 for my older projects and use FCP X for new/less critical projects.

Thanks!
Chris

It DOES overwrite it!

Styler42
Jun 21, 2011, 08:55 AM
Wow, some of you all are just crazzzy.

It's an awesome shift in the traditional way things are done, yes, it's Apple I figured you would be used to it by now.

So was the mouse. (No I am not saying FCPX is as revolutionary or as defining, just in context)

Not to mention once your productivity has increased 400% from the addition of all the workflow enhancements, you'll have less to complain about.

cburton
Jun 21, 2011, 08:56 AM
It DOES overwrite it!

Is DVD SP left alone?

glossywhite
Jun 21, 2011, 08:56 AM
I hope a similar upgrade for aperture is in the works.

The new final cut looks really nice.. Unfortunately no matter what Apple does with it people will bitch. If they don't add enough features then "Apple doesn't care about the pro users" and if they don't streamline any features then "Apple has bloated software."

As always though, a poor artist blames his tools.

110% true, which is why this comment was downrated, and noone will admit the point you made.

housito
Jun 21, 2011, 08:57 AM
The price tag is for install in just one computer or i can install it in all my macs? i got 3 that use for work, 2 macbook pro and 1 imac...

:rolleyes:

EricStriffler
Jun 21, 2011, 08:57 AM
"At first I thought I wouldn't like it, BUT..." - predictable and imminent. May take some longer than others, but I doubt you will dislike it for long.

But I never got used to, or liked, the new iMovie. Why would I ever like this?

nerdo
Jun 21, 2011, 08:58 AM
How about companies which want to buy more than one license using one credit card?

So far it wants to install on any of my macs with an appstore installed.

DF0
Jun 21, 2011, 08:59 AM
ohno...I didn't match the requirements. 128mb VRAM instead of 256 in an iMac.

Will it install and run (or at least "walk") anyway?

MacRumorUser
Jun 21, 2011, 08:59 AM
Cant seem to download it from the App Store in Ireland ?

Keep getting error message or "item is temporarily unavailable?". Annoying.

Surreal
Jun 21, 2011, 09:00 AM
The price tag is for install in just one computer or i can install it in all my macs? i got 3 that use for work, 2 macbook pro and 1 imac...

"all" of your computers. there is some limit...around 5 I believe.

glossywhite
Jun 21, 2011, 09:00 AM
But I never got used to, or liked, the new iMovie. Why would I ever like this?

How would you like me to tell you, how you personally get on with/like/dislike software? I'm not you, am I. Go to an Apple store and try it, or quit complaining about something which has barely been released!

More predictable whining ahead *plugs ears*

Stuipdboy1000
Jun 21, 2011, 09:01 AM

All your Macs. As long as they all use the same Apple ID you'll be fine.

hughjaas

Thanks!
Chris

I renamed my previous FCP (to "Final Cut Pro 7") and it didn't overwrite it.

samcraig
It DOES overwrite it!

Does the new Motion overwrite the old Motion?

EricStriffler
How would you like me to tell you, how you personally get on with/like/dislike software? I'm not you, am I.

More predictable whining ahead *plugs ears*

How am I whining? I was done talking about it, you replied, and I replied back. What's the issue?

nerdo
Jun 21, 2011, 09:02 AM
Is Compressor 4 an 64Bit application like Motion 5 and FCP X or still 32Bit?

This is what I get from activity monitor:

64.3 MB 661 Compressor visual 0.8 25 Intel
8.6 MB 670 compressord visual 0.0 6 Intel
9.1 MB 372 CompressorJobController visual 0.0 34 Intel
12.1 MB 669 CompressorJobController visual 0.0 34 Intel (64 bit)
9.1 MB 371 CompressorTranscoder visual 0.0 6 Intel

housito

Thanks!
Chris

According to Larry Jordan, and i take his word for a fact...

FINAL CUT PRO 7 IS NOT DEAD

To me, this is one of the highlights!

Installing FCP X does not remove FCP 7. So you can take your own sweet time deciding when to make the switch. And, in fact, you can use FCP 7 where it makes sense and FCP X when that is a better choice. For the first time ever, we can have two different versions of FCP on the same system at the same time, without partitioning hard disks and jumping through hoops.

http://www.larryjordan.biz/goodies/blog.html

glossywhite
How am I whining? I was done talking about it, you replied, and I replied back. What's the issue?

Okay, no issue. I'm sure you'll grow to adapt and enjoy using FCPX ;)

EricStriffler
Jun 21, 2011, 09:03 AM
i renamed my previous fcp (to "final cut pro 7") and it didn't overwrite it.

damn me!

nerdo
Jun 21, 2011, 09:05 AM
Does the new Motion overwrite the old Motion?

Compresor overwrites compressor as well, I'm installing all on my "old" mac pro to do a test run, so far it looks like FCPX is focusing on iMovie, with iMovie projects import and none of the features I use while editing in FCP 7

(audio mixer, quick source 180 degree turn for flipped images)

Can't get any FCP projects imported, will try a XML when I have the time, back to work for now :)

hughjaas
Jun 21, 2011, 09:06 AM
I'm holding off on Compressor. I don't see any benefit right now- the previous version was multi-threaded (with Qmaster) so I don't know how it can get any faster.

bretm
Jun 21, 2011, 09:06 AM
That is not only due to a side effect of the App store not permitting upgrade pricing but also probably sue to the fact that FCP X is seen as a completely separate product.

No, they are separate products and there is no cross grade pricing breaks.

Your point?

EricStriffler
Jun 21, 2011, 09:07 AM
I lied! Thank God. FCP7 is still there, FCPX just took over the icon on the dock. Phew!

kalsta
317 x 2 = 634 PLUS!

On the Mac App Store, you only pay for an app once even if you install on multiple machines, so it's 317, not 634. That's a huge saving over normal upgrade pricing for you, as other commenters have tried to point out.

Freeks
Spend an extra $29 and get Snow Leopard.

It's not the cost of the SL but the time and effort it takes to install everything. It is quite expensive not be able to work for a day when my current Mac Pro works like a clock. I just had to move from FCP to Premiere as it was more advanced and supported all formats. I'd like to switch back to FCP but no need to upgrade working OS.

Maybe when the next Mac Pros come out...

irmongoose
317 x 2 = 634 PLUS!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Mac App Store licensing allows you to install one purchased app on all Macs owned by you.

So it would be a total of $317 for both copies.

irmongoose

Keebler
Jun 21, 2011, 09:08 AM

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/all-features/#audio-editing

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/all-features/#color-grading

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/all-features/#optimized-output

I'm excited, but hesitant to dload b/c of DVDSP. I still use it alot and would like to know how it's integrated.

I'm going to wait for some professional (or otherwise) reviews which show that workflow in videos and/or photos. Same with compressor. After the issues I had with it, I'm VERY gunshy to dload it - even at only $50. If it truly does distributed encoding easily between machines, I might be in.

until then, I will resist all urge and hang on. FCS does work for me....at least that's what I'll keep telling myself :)

AdamZ9876
Jun 21, 2011, 09:11 AM
So the credit card processing is already down, or maybe just a server? Its only been out a few hours and this is already a problem?

Leddy
Jun 21, 2011, 09:11 AM
As someone who makes a living from this software, I'm disturbed by the comments that it overwrites the previous version.

There is no way I'm going to slug out a learning curve on my clients' projects. I was relying on both versions being able to exist concurrently so that I could continue to be productive while learning the new version.

This one or the other approach shows total disrespect for the existing user-base and a lack of understanding of professional work environments.

I'll be holding out until I have downtime at the end of the year or an old machine I can sacrifice before even considering this.

Best Wishes to the early adopters.

iBug2
Jun 21, 2011, 09:12 AM
As someone who makes a living from this software, I'm disturbed by the comments that it overwrites the previous version.

There is no way I'm going to slug out a learning curve on my clients' projects. I was relying on both versions being able to exist concurrently so that I could continue to be productive while learning the new version.

This one or the other approach shows total disrespect for the existing user-base and a lack of understanding of professional work environments.

I'll be holding out until I have downtime at the end of the year or an old machine I can sacrifice before even considering this.

Best Wishes to the early adopters.

People are already discovering tricks so they don't overwrite. Rename your old FCP 7 app.

sconnor99
Jun 21, 2011, 09:13 AM
IT doesn't overwrite the previous version of FCP, you can have both on the same drive

jmille44
Jun 21, 2011, 09:13 AM
Yes Motion 5 is slow.

Just clicking on a text sequence preview like drip in or Approach in and watch it struggle to play.

10GB RAM, Quad 2.8 Mac Pro and Motion 5 is slow?

The interface blows too. Wow this is not good so far.

timdafweak
Jun 21, 2011, 09:14 AM
Does anyone know whether FCPX supports AVCHD editing natively, or does one need to go via ProRes422 still?

Studio96
The UK website store is not showing any FCP or FCE products at the moment, or Time Capsules..

For me (FCE user), Final Cut Pro X - and at this price - is a no brainer.. Excellent..

hughjaas

it doesn't overwrite it. both apps reside on your machine, but you can't have both versions running simultaneously.

Keebler
Jun 21, 2011, 09:15 AM
I'm excited, but hesitant to dload b/c of DVDSP. I still use it alot and would like to know how it's integrated.

I'm going to wait for some professional (or otherwise) reviews which show that workflow in videos and/or photos. Same with compressor. After the issues I had with it, I'm VERY gunshy to dload it - even at only $50. If it truly does distributed encoding easily between machines, I might be in.

until then, I will resist all urge and hang on. FCS does work for me....at least that's what I'll keep telling myself :)

quoted from the article by Larry previously listed in this thread:

"
* If you simply need to burn your project to either DVD or Blu-ray, the new Final Cut makes this easy. If you need to author a DVD, or Blu-ray, youll need to use either DVD Studio Pro or Adobe Encore."

doh!

glossywhite
Jun 21, 2011, 09:16 AM
Yes Motion 5 is slow.

Just clicking on a text sequence preview like drip in or Approach in and watch it struggle to play.

It's a .0 release, and it has been out hours; are you genuinely surprised by this? :p

dbattle
Jun 21, 2011, 09:17 AM
Will hold off for now. While some features are definitely worth upgrading - here are some that make we want to wait

1) no side by side support. I don't understand why you can't have FCP and FCP X both installed. Can you have both Motions installed?

2) Previous motion templates not functional

3) no multicam support

4) cannot easily import previous projects.

Now all of these could be handled by having both versions installed. But that's also not exactly "user friendly"...

I'm sure some/all of these will be resolved. I hope anyway. But until there's progress there. I'll wait. As tempting as it might be.

According to Larry Jordans Blog (http://www.larryjordan.biz/goodies/blog.html) This is actually the first time that the two can co-exist. He's been running them side by side for months.

glossywhite
Jun 21, 2011, 09:18 AM
According to Larry Jordans Blog (http://www.larryjordan.biz/goodies/blog.html) This is actually the first time that the two can co-exist. He's been running them side by side for months.

If he says it, I believe it. He's "the man" :D

PS: He may be an excellent FCP tutor, but he sure has a CRAP LOAD of web design to learn!

Leddy
Jun 21, 2011, 09:19 AM
Just saw Larry's piece. What a relief.

Thanks for the clarification - seems I'll have to download it to check it out.

Best Wishes.

Jerome Morrow
Jun 21, 2011, 09:20 AM
Can anyone tell me Motion 5 is a standalone app or it's an installer inside and app like Lion is?

jmille44
It's a .0 release, and it has been out hours; are you genuinely surprised by this? :p

I am surprised. Motion 4 was much more polished and felt like a real program.
This is all dark and feels like a PC program. Why it's not optimized for speed is beyond me. Leaving out all the old templates is a bummer and they included a couple templates that are just silly.

Maybe you have to purchase FCPX in order to get the templates? Anyone know if you can get the templates from Apple as another download?

jkester
Does anyone know how to import FCP 7 project files, or if it's possible? I can't seem to figure it out.

MCIowaRulz
Jun 21, 2011, 09:21 AM
What is the file size of FCPX, Motion 5 and Compressor 4?

jmille44
Jun 21, 2011, 09:22 AM
Can anyone tell me Motion 5 is a standalone app or it's an installer inside and app like Lion is?

Motion 5 is installed for you once you buy it. It just has an icon in the apps folder called Motion. When you first double click on the file though about 5 icons launch in the dock, so it appears to maybe be installing something.

Studio96
Jun 21, 2011, 09:25 AM
.. and FCE links are now dead. That's the end of that then - but at 179 for Pro, that's not a surprise.

ryanvalle
Jun 21, 2011, 09:26 AM
Just installed Final Cut Pro X. FCP7 (and previous apps) is still on the computer but has been moved to a Final Cut Studio Folder within the APplications Folder

Jerome Morrow
Jun 21, 2011, 09:27 AM
Motion 5 is installed for you once you buy it. It just has an icon in the apps folder called Motion. When you first double click on the file though about 5 icons launch in the dock, so it appears to maybe be installing something.

Thanks for quick answer. Already installing mine.

glossywhite
Jun 21, 2011, 09:27 AM
Is it just me, or has the brightness & appearance of the green & blue tracks changed since this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXL7L9fToQ&feature=related

odedia
Jun 21, 2011, 09:28 AM
I am surprised that Compressor is not a 64bit, Cocoa application with Grand Central Dispatch support. Seems to be that this application would require it very much.

lukemcurley
Anyone know how VAT will be handled with this download?

Apple use Luxembourg as their VAT registered address for the App Store. But any business who is VAT registered outside of Luxembourg should not be charged VAT on purchases, or like Amazon provide a system to refund the VAT paid.

Apple provided me with this reply when I looked for the VAT back from them on a recent purchase:

"[Apple App Store] sells only to customers as end-users for personal, noncommercial use in their respective countries of residence"

Not sure how that fits with their Pro Apps announced today.

davea11ee
Didn't take long for me to hit that download button. FCP X it's about time.

WiiDSmoker
Jun 21, 2011, 09:29 AM
Looks like Blu-Ray is coming guys!!

"output for standard definition DVDs, and even Blu-ray devices, directly within FCP X"

iBug2
Jun 21, 2011, 09:30 AM
I am surprised that Compressor is not a 64bit, Cocoa application with Grand Central Dispatch support. Seems to be that this application would require it very much.

I also wondered about this, they at least should have made it 32+64 so people with CoreDuo's could run it while people with new machines could use it 64.

Since there are many render farms with CoreDuos, keeping the possibility of running 32Bit on a rendering app makes sense. But really, why no 64bit port?

jadot
Lovely.

Now can we get on to Aperture X? That would be nice

davea11ee
Just installed Final Cut Pro X. FCP7 (and previous apps) is still on the computer but has been moved to a Final Cut Studio Folder within the APplications Folder

So glad to hear they don't write over the old stuff. With everything that was said about not installing the .0 version, I'm glad I can always go back to what I know if this version isn't ready

iBug2
Jun 21, 2011, 09:31 AM
I can see you do not buy that much from the App store!

And I can see that you haven't bought a single thing from the App Store. Because the poster is right. You can pay once and install that FCP X on unlimited amount of machines as long as they belong to you.

awc002
Jun 21, 2011, 09:32 AM
Has anyone downloaded the Motion 5 content from Apple?

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1395

iBug2
Jun 21, 2011, 09:32 AM
Lovely.

Now can we get on to Aperture X? That would be nice

Aperture is already a 64Bit cocoa application. I don't think a major rewrite is necessary for it, since unlike FCP Aperture wasn't using decade old code to begin with. That being said, I'm looking forward to Aperture 4.

hughjaas
Jun 21, 2011, 09:33 AM

grand central is basically for optimizing use of all your cores within an application. compressor/qmaster already did that as well as distributed processing in the previous versions - no need for it to be 64-bit. I haven't figured out the benefit to upgrading compressor yet.

Cory Bauer
Jun 21, 2011, 09:33 AM
Well that's some good news.

I can't believe that Final Cut Pro X can't open and convert Final Cut Pro 7 projects, especially after they showed the same project in both applications at NAB to demonstrate the new timeline. The real kick in the teeth is that it apparently imports iMovie projects. Some other major issues I've read are:

1. No EDL and OMF support; the majority of our edits are offline and we use EDL and OMF to share our edits with the color houses, post houses and sound houses. Anyone have any suggestions as to how else this could be done with Final Cut Pro X since it can't output either EDL or OMF?

2. No deck control, making what little tape support it has almost useless. This is unbelievable.

3. Presumably, no video output for KONA cards; can someone confirm this?

Basically because of these three issues, there isn't a single project myself and my fellow editors could use Final Cut Pro X for at this time, unless there's an alternative to EDL and OMF that's just as good. Anyone? Thanks.

jmille44
Jun 21, 2011, 09:34 AM

Thank you for that link. Downloading now.

glossywhite
Jun 21, 2011, 09:34 AM
If you have yet to try or purchase Final Cut Pro X, watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLgO13ZzFjw

SatyMahajan
Jun 21, 2011, 09:36 AM
FCP X Additional Content
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1394

Motion 5 Additional Content

MovieCutter
Jun 21, 2011, 09:37 AM
It does overwrite it.

No it doesn't, not on my machine anyway

awc002
Jun 21, 2011, 09:37 AM
Thank you for that link. Downloading now.

No problem. Let us know what all it includes. Thanks!

FSMBP
Jun 21, 2011, 09:39 AM
Looks like Blu-Ray is coming guys!!

"output for standard definition DVDs, and even Blu-ray devices, directly within FCP X"

Sorry, buddy but it's probably not. Final Cut Studio 3 (released in June 2009) has had that option too.

Back then & even now, you can buy an external Blu-Ray writer for your Mac.

AppleDroid
Jun 21, 2011, 09:39 AM
While it's always entertaining to read comments on a release I'm going to wait for actual working pros to sound off once they've had a week or two to play with it. ;)

One thing I want to know is if it still has tape capture. All the rumors said it was only digital in.

dbattle
Jun 21, 2011, 09:41 AM
Does anyone know how to import FCP 7 project files, or if it's possible? I can't seem to figure it out.

Again according to Larry Jordan (link above) you cannot currently import projects from previous FCP programs. He has asked Apple about this and hopes that they remedy this.

iBug2
While it's always entertaining to read comments on a release I'm going to wait for actual working pros to sound off once they've had a week or two to play with it. ;)

One thing I want to know is if it still has tape capture. All the rumors said it was only digital in.

Taken from Larry Jordan's blog:

APPLE IS MOVING TO TAPELESS

If tapeless media is your life, it will take you a week to stop giggling once you fire up FCP X.

However, FCP X has only limited support for tape. Tape ingest is from FireWire-attached devices, and streaming-only, no timecode controlled positioning of ingest or output to tape.

I’m reminded of the hand-wringing that occurred when Apple dropped floppy disks for optical media “back in the day,” now that Apple has decreed that tape is dead.

In this case, though, I side with the “tapists.” Apple controls the eco-system of the Mac. They don’t control the eco-system of Hollywood; then, again, I’m not sure anyone does. I have clients today that are using 3/4″ Umatic cassettes for sound design and music composition, and EDL lists are used daily for conforming major feature films. Both those formats were declared dead AGES ago!

While FCP X can ingest from a Firewire-attached deck, its output options to tape are limited to live streaming.

This lack of support for layback to video tape using RS-422 control protocol with timecode accuracy gives the perception that Apple is not meeting the needs of professional output. It remains to be seen if companies like AJA, Matrox, or Blackmagic Design will step into the breech. If they do, great. If not, this will cause many of us problems.

However, if you are shooting tapeless, this new software is designed for you. Easy ingest, background transcoding, background rendering, background analysis… Very cool. And, best of all, you can stop or cancel a background process at any time.

Plus, if you are someone that likes to organize their files, FCP X supports that. If you HATE organization, FCP X will organize your files for you. Now, we have a choice.

Cory Bauer
I've read it does not, unless you want to capture a live stream from the tape. No deck control, no in and out points, no logging and batch capturing. But on the bright side, you can capture video from your @$*#ing iSight camera! :rolleyes:

johnnymg
Jun 21, 2011, 09:42 AM

that wasn't very enlightening!

jhende7
Jun 21, 2011, 09:45 AM
I can see you do not buy that much from the App store!

EPIC Fail. App store = multiple copies for one fixed price. Your saving like $250. Please stop the ignorance...please.

hughjaas

HDV tape capture is not a problem. I can't find very many settings for it though - like setting in and out points. it's more like Capture Now in the previous version. no logging or batch capture that I can see.

cmfilms
95% of my clients want hard discs with custom, polished menus for their final delivery. Apple's abandonment of DVDSP is going to force my hand to Adobe Encore (which comes bundled with Premiere.) How long before I give up FCS all together?

I'm a huge Apple fan, but this is the first time that I've been so negative towards them. :(

AppleDroid
Taken from Larry Jordan's blog:

[COLOR="Red"]APPLE IS MOVING TO TAPELESS

If tapeless media is your life, it will take you a week to stop giggling once you fire up FCP X.

However, FCP X has only limited support for tape. Tape ingest is from FireWire-attached devices, and streaming-only, no timecode controlled positioning of ingest or output to tape.

I've read it does not, unless you want to capture a live stream from the tape. No deck control, no in and out points, no logging and batch capturing. But on the bright side, you can capture video from your @$*#ing iSight camera! :rolleyes:

Well that is disheartening but at least I can still input my tape footage from my Canon HV30! I also have Premiere cs5 (part of the master suite) but I always liked FCP better. Maybe I can use Premiere to import and then edit in FCX. Seems convoluted though.

iBug2
Jun 21, 2011, 09:46 AM
and back to my original point :p for 2 machines AT WORK! the LEGAL update price would be 317 euros x 2 = 634 Euros

Unless Apple lets users create a new iTunes account and lets you legally install on 300 Macs, I take all my words back and have some major LOVE for :apple:

:p

This is the same situation with Lion on Enterprise. I'd call Apple and ask or wait for a press release.

Reach
Jun 21, 2011, 09:46 AM

Very nice, that alleviates some concern about additional content. :D

hqsbud
Jun 21, 2011, 09:48 AM
3) no multicam support

Where have you seen it confirmed that FCP X doesnt support cutting between multiple cameras? Ive been Googling to try to find this confirmed, but I havent been able to so far.

FinalCutJay
Jun 21, 2011, 09:48 AM
Anyone else waiting for Lion before they plunk down cash for this? I've got a lot of reservations. If you've downloaded the new FCP can you confirm the ability to open an older project file and is the timeline intact?

Small White Car
Jun 21, 2011, 09:49 AM
and back to my original point :p for 2 machines AT WORK! the LEGAL update price would be 317 euros x 2 = 634 Euros

Unless Apple lets users create a new iTunes account and lets you legally install on 300 Macs, I take all my words back and have some major LOVE for :apple:

Well is it 2 or is it 300? If it's 300 then I don't know what Apple's policy for that is.

If it's 2 then it's perfectly legal for your work to have a single iTunes account and just pay 317 for using it on 2 machines.

Anyone else waiting for Lion before they plunk down cash for this? I've got a lot of reservations. If you've downloaded the new FCP can you confirm the ability to open an older project file and is the timeline intact?

You can't, but the old Final Cut stays on your Machine. Everyone who 'upgrades' is really going to go though a long process of using both Final Cuts for awhile until evetually you have no need for the old one.

jhende7

Why would each computer have a separate Apple ID if there both your computers? Unless, this whole time you've been arguing that for two separate users, with two separate computers, with two separate Apple IDs, the price would be higher.. in which the intent of your original argument is lost on me.

iBug2
Where have you seen it confirmed that FCP X doesnt support cutting between multiple cameras? Ive been Googling to try to find this confirmed, but I havent been able to so far.

Larry's blog :)

iBug2
Jun 21, 2011, 09:50 AM

No, you cannot import old FCP projects. Again, check Larry's blog for more extensive info.

samcraig
Jun 21, 2011, 09:53 AM

http://www.larryjordan.biz/goodies/blog.html

hqsbud
Jun 21, 2011, 09:54 AM
Larry's blog :)

Ah; I see it now (http://www.larryjordan.biz/goodies/blog.html). Thanks!

machaven
Jun 21, 2011, 09:54 AM
I note on the App Store the price is A$349.99 for Australians which is still a good price for this application even if people in the US on pay US$299.00. However, considering the Australian dollar is worth more than the US dollar, it is a bit rude to slug us with an extra $50 surcharge because we are outside the US!

I'll still buy it though. :rolleyes:

Keebler
Jun 21, 2011, 09:56 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

But u can still use dvdsp. I'm disappointed for no blu ray menu so it's to toast 12 or encore for that I suppose. I'm in the same boat - clients still want discs

ericmooreart
Jun 21, 2011, 09:59 AM
YAY Compressor! Worth its weight in gold!

iBug2
Jun 21, 2011, 10:02 AM
To be honest I'm disappointed that Compressor still uses the old QMaster stuff. I hoped Apple would come up with a more intuitive way of distributing batch rendering. QMaster was always clunky to use.

I hope they improved the usability in this version so I'll hold it off until I see some reviews on it.

lcdbot27
Jun 21, 2011, 10:05 AM
This is the same situation with Lion on Enterprise. I'd call Apple and ask or wait for a press release.

I really wish there was some clarification on this. My company would need 5 FCPX licenses, not tied to an individual user's account. There's really no way to do this under the workings of the Mac App Store. I love the concept of using online app stores for software distribution on an individual basis, but unless there's a way for corporations to easily buy and handle software licenses from the store, I feel like there's going to be a lot of corporate "hand-sitting" for MAS-only releases like this.

cmfilms
Jun 21, 2011, 10:06 AM
I'm surprised so many people are rushing to get this this morning. There are always first version bugs and who knows how this will affect your work output. Are these the same people that will be back here tomorrow complaining that it's not perfect?

ranReloaded
Jun 21, 2011, 10:06 AM
You can't, but the old Final Cut stays on your Machine. Everyone who 'upgrades' is really going to go though a long process of using both Final Cuts for awhile until evetually you have no need for the old one.

Sounds a lot like Xcode 3 -> Xcode 4.

I took the plunge at once, because the reluctance to be less-than-100% productive for a couple of days was dwarfed by the fear of Apple pulling the carpet under my feet and saying: Sorry, no more app submissions from Xcode 3! :eek: I'll early-adopt Lion too, I guess.

I don't regret it a bit, save for the yet-to-be-ironed bugs.

cmfilms
Jun 21, 2011, 10:08 AM
I really wish there was some clarification on this. My company would need 5 FCPX licenses, not tied to an individual user's account.

This is why Apple has an Apple for Business division. They are the dogs bullocks. Call 'em.

1-800-854-3680

glossywhite
Jun 21, 2011, 10:08 AM
YAY Compressor! Worth its weight in gold!

Software has no weight, so are you saying it is worth nothing? :D

grooveattack
Jun 21, 2011, 10:15 AM
i have been playing with it all afternoon! its fantastic.

It is in no way iMovie.

it just gets out of my way and does what i need it to do. the audition function is really helpful. live effect previewing is amazing. just lots of useful stuff in there
Having a fast machine really helps. looking at activity monitor final cut has not dipped under using 1000% processor power and using 2.5GB of RAM.

very pleased if a little shocked at apple dropping 6 apps to 3.

(also note when you buy the apps they will automatically move the old final cut studio into its own folder)

jeanlain
Jun 21, 2011, 10:16 AM
Yes Motion 5 is slow.

Update your graphics card? Does it support openCL?

ranReloaded
Jun 21, 2011, 10:16 AM
I'm surprised so many people are rushing to get this this morning. There are always first version bugs and who knows how this will affect your work output. Are these the same people that will be back here tomorrow complaining that it's not perfect?

They say it can be installed side-by-side, so there's nothing to lose. And you can start to get used to it.

ADDED: Is there any AppStore app that overwrites previous, boxed versions? Or are they considered "A different app"? (Certainly the Store doesn't support upgrades between the two, right?)

sotorious
Jun 21, 2011, 10:17 AM
if i buy this from the app store will i be able to install it on multiple computers?

ranReloaded
Jun 21, 2011, 10:18 AM
Software has no weight, so are you saying it is worth nothing? :D

No, he surely means a couple hundred mega bytes of gold, whatever that's worth :)

dbattle
Jun 21, 2011, 10:19 AM

I would agree but considering you can still use FCP 6 or 7 on the same machine there's no real loss in purchasing it now. Personally our (small) company is purchasing it for one system to test it out while continuing our paid work FCP6. If I can help get the bugs out quicker than I'm all for it especially if in the end I I'm further along in understanding the new features of FCPX.

frozen220
Jun 21, 2011, 10:20 AM
Apparently it supports Bluray according Apple's website. Since DVD Studio Pro is apparently been killed off, I'm interested in seeing how they've integrated Bluray/DVD authoring into Final Cut Pro X, but there are no screenshots. Can someone who has it post some?? Thanks!

milo
Jun 21, 2011, 10:20 AM
From Apple website:
"Final Cut Pro X includes the key sound editing and color grading features from Final Cut Studio, so now you can use a single application for the entire post-production workflow. Do even more with Motion and Compressor, also available from the Mac App Store."

There we are!

Thanks for the info. Shame they're dumping STP instead of fixing it, especially for those of us who got it as part of the Logic bundle (or even bought the initial version on its own).

And I doubt the color correction guys are happy.

wonderspark
Jun 21, 2011, 10:21 AM
I've only tinkered a bit in FCP 7 on a colleague's system, being an Adobe editor for a while now. (I started in AVID, then Media100.) So, this is the first time I'll own Final Cut, and I'm pretty excited.

Looks like FCP X is finished downloading... still working on Motion and Compressor.

Also, it's my first time using Mac App Store. Big day of firsts for me! :)

glossywhite
Jun 21, 2011, 10:24 AM
No, he surely means a couple hundred mega bytes of gold, whatever that's worth :)

I've never weighed in scrap megabyte gold for cash, but I can tell you it's worthless, even if it existed! :D

Here is a better video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8C8IwEc6zk

macfilm
Jun 21, 2011, 10:27 AM
Is 'Color' literally ingrained in FCPX or can you send to 'Color' from FCPX?

BlackMangoTree
Jun 21, 2011, 10:28 AM
Why si it $349 in Australia when our dollar is stronger the the U.S.

Ripped off as usual

ivladster
Jun 21, 2011, 10:29 AM

Well it was completely remastered. Even old architecture can't do anything with this new Cocoa structure. You really should not complain at all. Adobe charges twice this price for their crappy software.

Steve121178
Jun 21, 2011, 10:29 AM

I'm also amazed at the slapdash scramble for it. It doesn't say a lot about some people's businesses/work if they are prepared to start using it right away, untested & bugs 'n all.

H. Flower
Jun 21, 2011, 10:30 AM
Question: does it have mark in, mark out, insert/overwrite?

cmfilms
Jun 21, 2011, 10:31 AM
Started an open Facebook group for people to share their FCS X experience and ask questions. C'mon over (if that's your thing.)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_210098939031515

glossywhite
Jun 21, 2011, 10:31 AM
Well it was completely remastered. Even old architecture can't do anything with this new Cocoa structure. You really should not complain at all. Adobe charges twice this price for their crappy software.

Wow that's a bold statement - Premiere Pro & Ae work perfectly - what makes you say that? You do realise that just because Apple make something amazing, you're not obliged to slag off all the other competing products... right? Maybe you just aren't used to them.

cmfilms
Jun 21, 2011, 10:32 AM
I'm also amazed at the slapdash scramble for it. It doesn't say a lot about some people's businesses/work if they are prepared to start using it right away, untested & bug 'n all.

No kidding. I look at my edit slate and MAYBE October I could get this up and running, but clients don't want to hear about upgrades and problems. They only want to hear one word: Done.

dbattle
Jun 21, 2011, 10:33 AM
I am surprised. Motion 4 was much more polished and felt like a real program.
This is all dark and feels like a PC program. Why it's not optimized for speed is beyond me. Leaving out all the old templates is a bummer and they included a couple templates that are just silly.

Maybe you have to purchase FCPX in order to get the templates? Anyone know if you can get the templates from Apple as another download?

According to the website the new "Smart Motion Templates" work in conjunction with FCPX. I can't verify (still downloading) but the templates are in FCPX and you can then launch them in Motion to work on them, or customize them in FCPX.

cmfilms
Jun 21, 2011, 10:35 AM
Why si it $349 in Australia when our dollar is stronger the the U.S.

Ripped off as usual

On the upside, you have no pennies, better beer, a trade surplus and cheaper higher education.

trddddr
Jun 21, 2011, 10:38 AM
as i understand it:

No EDL in or out

No FCP7 backward compatibility
No tape support
No third party plug-ins or IO
No multicam
No native RED support
No native MTS support

wonderspark
Jun 21, 2011, 10:42 AM
I'm also amazed at the slapdash scramble for it. It doesn't say a lot about some people's businesses/work if they are prepared to start using it right away, untested & bug 'n all.
I can't speak for others, but I'm fully entrenched in Adobe CS5, which I currently use for my clients. I've always wanted FCP, and now I'm finally joining the club at what couldn't be better timing.

I have a couple new productions that I have the luxury of time to use both CS5 and FCPX on simultaneously, and if the learning curve on FCP X is too steep, I'll just wait until I have even more time to learn it.

I have two clients that are each bigger than Apple, by the way, so buying it right away says nothing about my business. Not being mean about it... just trying to give some perspective as to how others could possibly justify buying FCP X today by sharing why *I* can.

Actually, what it says about my business is that it's fantastic! :)

dbattle
Jun 21, 2011, 10:45 AM
On the upside, you have no pennies, better beer, a trade surplus and cheaper higher education.

And kangaroos

strangecattle
Jun 21, 2011, 10:46 AM

Can it? I look forward to investigating FCPX, but from reading the manual online, everything points to this release having no use for anyone who doesn't start and finish their work in Final Cut. No metadata export options (EDL, XML, AAF etc) that allow reconforming/grading/sound mixing with external facilities, i.e. something that professional editors do every day. Collaborative workflows still seem to be lacking.

I hope someone corrects me and reveals a beautifully intuitive and powerful way to manage a real professional workfflow using FCPX, but I'm not holding my breath...

FroMann
Jun 21, 2011, 10:46 AM
Well that came out of nowhere, great surprise for movie editors.

odedia
Jun 21, 2011, 10:48 AM
grand central is basically for optimizing use of all your cores within an application. compressor/qmaster already did that as well as distributed processing in the previous versions - no need for it to be 64-bit. I haven't figured out the benefit to upgrading compressor yet.

If you're going to compress a 4k video, you would want as many frames in memory as possible, especially if you have multiple cores. The more RAM, the faster it'll be.

Grand Central Dispatch gives you better support for multi-threading compared to you writing it yourself, although I guess Apple knows how to do that well anyway. That being said, I never saw my cores go over 300% on Compressor 3 (Intel Sandy-Bridge 4-cores machine).

OpenCL would have allowed you to use your GPU for encoding tasks, making everything much faster.

Cocoa would simply make the application look like something written in the last 10 years instead of something from Mac OS 9.

linuxcooldude

lol funny thats my video.

nerdo
Why would each computer have a separate Apple ID if there both your computers? Unless, this whole time you've been arguing that for two separate users, with two separate computers, with two separate Apple IDs, the price would be higher.. in which the intent of your original argument is lost on me.

It's a crazy concept, but some people run a business with multiple FCP installs in edit suits. Yeah, I know.. apple users actually working instead of just being fanboi's... ridiculous right?

nerdo
Jun 21, 2011, 10:50 AM

Who says we are using it to work? Just dropped it on my old mac pro to see whats up with that (oooooo heeee whats up with that.. whats up with that)

So far i think they made it so even Steve jobs can use it...

nerdo
Jun 21, 2011, 10:52 AM
as i understand it:

No EDL in or out

No tape support
No multicam
No native RED support
No native MTS support

No MTS? psssh..... and no 64 bit for compressor AND my old compressor stopped working so I have to re-do all my custom presets.. yawn.

Oh well, it takes less time then trolling mac rumors :)

towerofmusic
Jun 21, 2011, 10:54 AM
First impressions.

It's quick..
Too much movement, maybe 'cos i have live scrubbing on
How do I move footage onto new tracks at the same point
It crashed twice
Altering effects is odd. Why are some itmes listed with no way of changing them.
No native support for my panasonic 3500 ACVHD camera
Why does capture show isight (ie ME working on my laptop) by default. Why? That's just ****ing annoying

This is literally after 10 minutes playing however.

It will mean a dramatic change to how I use Final cut.

N

wonderspark
Jun 21, 2011, 10:56 AM
Hmm, first thing I've noticed is that it won't import an mpeg clip I have. Do I need to rename it to mpg instead of mpeg or what?

sambuev
Jun 21, 2011, 11:01 AM
Can't wait to download it :D

ericmooreart
Jun 21, 2011, 11:03 AM
When everyone asks why I'm so against the App store. This is why----:mad:http://www.emooreart.com/temp/app.jpg

With the app store I'm not given the option to buy it anyway even though I am purchasing a new machine in August.

Incase your wondering my machine is a Mac Pro Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz with a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

miniroll32
Jun 21, 2011, 11:04 AM
180 is an insanely good price for such software - To think I paid 55 alone for 'Express' last year seems silly now.

The things i'm looking forward to:

- Its going to take advantage of newer components, and will hopefully be a lot more efficient!

- Magnetic timeline. Been waiting a long time for that...

- The cleeeann interface... Wowzers!

I'll be the first to admit that, when the Mac App Store opened and the news articles of Apple limiting disc stock in their stores appeared, I was worried and perhaps a little naive of the situation. But its becoming more and more apparent to me that this is the way to go; both for the amazing improvements in price-point and the ease by which everything is done. The program when it started downloading was estimated at 2hrs 38mins, so that also leaves a very good prospect for Lion on 1.6mb connection!

And at the end of the day, whats a few hours to let something download? People are becoming so impatient these days.

Final Cut X certainly won't be flawless to start with, but the bugs will no doubt be ironed out much quicker since the everything is run through the Mac App Store.

Very happy chappy!

H. Flower
Jun 21, 2011, 11:05 AM
Mark in/out? Insert and overwrite?

Anyone?

bigandtasty
Jun 21, 2011, 11:05 AM
Awesome! Purchasing later today!

This is truly bigandtasty!:)

pavyaz19
Jun 21, 2011, 11:07 AM

yes... well, at least the last version did too.

pavyaz19
Jun 21, 2011, 11:08 AM
What is the word on installing this on multiple computers? I have 3 personal computers I'd like to have FCPX installed in. Do I have to pay for multiple licenses? If not, how difficult is it to copy / install to others?

Thanks!

iRobz
Jun 21, 2011, 11:09 AM
I'm genuinely shocked and surprised by the UK price point. I was expecting it to come in at 299. 179 is not far off what I paid for FCE 2 years ago plus with the 65 app store credit I get from buying my Mac I think this is a steal.

I feel for some of those on here who do use FCP professionally but I'm a meer amateur editor and all the features and price points are a huge bonus for me.

JS2
Jun 21, 2011, 11:10 AM
Paul D talks about some of the features of Final Cut Pro X here:
http://bit.ly/jR3bBd

Cory Bauer
Jun 21, 2011, 11:11 AM
as i understand it:

No EDL in or out

No tape support
No multicam
No native RED support
No native MTS support
I've tried to figure out who on earth this program is supposed to be for and based on these major absent capabilities, Final Cut Pro X must be designed exclusively for the iMovie editor that never plans to work with film or tape, does all of the coloring and sound mixing her/himself, and outputs their final work only to online social networks. In other words, no one that makes a living editing.

Without EDL, OMF, or tape support, there's virtually no project in the past four years that myself or any of the editors I work with could have used Final Cut Pro X to edit.

mBox
Jun 21, 2011, 11:13 AM
It's a .0 release, and it has been out hours; are you genuinely surprised by this? :pToo bad there's no newb filter in this forum :0

sotorious
Jun 21, 2011, 11:14 AM
Will i be able to install this on multiple computers if purchased from app store?

milo
Jun 21, 2011, 11:14 AM
The features of color, soundtrack, and DVD studio are integrated into final cut.

All the features of all three of those apps? And that's useless for sound guys (for example) who previously used STP.

BornAgainMac
Jun 21, 2011, 11:16 AM
FAIL!

Double FAIL if didn't work with Snow Leopard or Lion. If they had to use Grand Central then I can understand it not working with Leopard. Just get Finalcut 4 or something off eBay to run on Leopard.

wonderspark
Jun 21, 2011, 11:17 AM
Too bad there's no newb filter in this forum :0
Yep, I'm a total FCP n00b, and just found out I need a QT mpg doo-hickey to edit mpeg video clips in FCP.

At least it only took me about eight minutes to figure that one out. :p

xper
Jun 21, 2011, 11:18 AM
Just get Finalcut 4 or something off eBay to run on Leopard.
Yeah, great idea, instead of just updating the OS for 20 bucks, buy another ****** piece of software instead....

AlyMourad
Jun 21, 2011, 11:22 AM

Thanks!
Chris

not sure if your question have been answered. yes, it does overwrite them BUT it creates a new folder in your application folder titled Final Cut Studio. and place the old versions in it. so yes you could still you use your old Final Cut Pro 7. i tried it myself and it worked without a single problem.

mBox
Jun 21, 2011, 11:31 AM
Will i be able to install this on multiple computers if purchased from app store?Just installed on 3 workstations with same license :)

Gm7Cadd9
Jun 21, 2011, 11:35 AM
Just called the Business line they posted for "Volume Licensing" for Lion, the salesman said that: FCP X Volume Licensing info is "coming shortly"

I don't want to have to manage AppleID's for every editor/producer. But I also don't want to use the same AppleID to buy 1 copy to install everywhere.

APPLE TAKE MY MONEY!

http://files.sharenator.com/Shut_up_and_take_my_money_RE_Gues_what_this_is-s500x313-149402-580.jpg

The Captain
Jun 21, 2011, 11:35 AM
I've tried to figure out who on earth this program is supposed to be for and based on these major absent capabilities, Final Cut Pro X must be designed exclusively for the iMovie editor that never plans to work with film or tape, does all of the coloring and sound mixing her/himself, and outputs their final work only to online social networks. In other words, no one that makes a living editing.

Without EDL, OMF, or tape support, there's virtually no project in the past four years that myself or any of the editors I work with could have used Final Cut Pro X to edit.

Yea, most of what I'm hearing from fellow editors is exactly the same. By all accounts this is just not a professional application. I keep hearing it feels too infantile and uncontrollable. Everyone keeps hopping there is some depth to what you can do with it and they just haven't found it yet through all the Imovie effects (the best quote I head so far is "why the hell would I need cheesy night vision binoculars!").

Not a good sign. Hell, I'm blown away astonished there is no multi-cam support! Though I guess if you've only ever shot something on one iphone why would you need to sync up two or more cameras.

iBug2
Jun 21, 2011, 11:40 AM
Yea, most of what I'm hearing from fellow editors is exactly the same. By all accounts this is just not a professional application.

Really? Then why does Larry Jordan say otherwise?

samcraig
Jun 21, 2011, 11:40 AM
Yea, most of what I'm hearing from fellow editors is exactly the same. By all accounts this is just not a professional application. I keep hearing it feels too infantile and uncontrollable. Everyone keeps hopping there is some depth to what you can do with it and they just haven't found it yet through all the Imovie effects (the best quote I head so far is "why the hell would I need cheesy night vision binoculars!").

Not a good sign. Hell, I'm blown away astonished there is no multi-cam support! Though I guess if you've only ever shot something on one iphone why would you need to sync up two or more cameras.

Indeed. My further concern is that the roadmap for Apple is to create one hybrid app for all of their tools. IE - iPhoto and Aperture will merge. FCP & iMovie will merge, etc. I hope not as I think that offering lower and higher end products is important - even if it means more support required for having multiple products.

Really? Then why does Larry Jordan say otherwise?

I didn't realize that Larry Jordan spoke for every editor...

iBug2
Jun 21, 2011, 11:41 AM
Indeed. My further concern is that the roadmap for Apple is to create one hybrid app for all of their tools. IE - iPhoto and Aperture will merge. FCP & iMovie will merge, etc. I hope not as I think that offering lower and higher end products is important - even if it means more support required for having multiple products.

I certainly don't see that happening. They'll never merge a free app with a paid app.

tkermit
Jun 21, 2011, 11:42 AM
When everyone asks why I'm so against the App store. This is why----:mad:
[...]
With the app store I'm not given the option to buy it anyway even though I am purchasing a new machine in August.

Incase your wondering my machine is a Mac Pro Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz with a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

So buy it in August? Your current card isn't supported (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4664). I would be glad to be getting this info before purchasing.