Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperSue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
Hey there! I'm new to the forum, and new to Macs in general. I'm looking at purchasing an iPod Photo (been feverishly uploading cds into iTunes), but I'm wondering if anyone has heard if Apple will make an iPod that includes an FM radio. I am torn between purchasing the iPod now, and waiting to see if there will be a new radio iPod. :)

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I would LOVE to have an iPod with a built in FM radio, but i don't think it will happen.

Maybe the next generation will have one?

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
I don't think they will ever have one with a radio for a few reasons:

1. Audio quality is crap compared to the music on my iPod
2. It can be dificult to get good reception on such a small device
3. It would make the iPod larger with can hurt the look and feel of it
4. (most importantly!) Why would I listen to the radio when I can listen to all my favourite songs on my iPod?

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I thought it wouldn't make a big size difference. Those personal FM radios today are TINY tiny little things.

If it made the iPod bigger, probably best not to have it in. I like the idea of being able to listen to the radio whenever i want through an iPod. It'd be the ultimate in functionality!

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Personally, I would love to see an AM tuner for some talk radio programming I like. Even some public radio stations broadcast in FM.

SuperSue, I don't see Apple ever adding one however - so feel free to buy now.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I think there's a better chance of Apple pairing up with satellite radio (xm or sirrus) over going FM/AM. Better quality sound, downloadable music, etc. That probably won't happen either though.

PS - welcome to the forums. A good rule of thumb is to do a search first before asking questions. People here are very helpful and there is a ton of infor on just about every mac-related topic here.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
aricher said:
I think there's a better chance of Apple pairing up with satellite radio (xm or sirrus) over going FM/AM. Better quality sound, downloadable music, etc. That probably won't happen either though.

PS - welcome to the forums. A good rule of thumb is to do a search first before asking questions. People here are very helpful and there is a ton of infor on just about every mac-related topic here.

And if i remember correctly, Sirrus already tried to convince Steve Jobs to put their technology into iPods but apple declined.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.