PDA

View Full Version : **Discussion on 27" iMac,16GB Ram, 2TB+256SSD,2GB VRAM**

Vanan Navarasan
Jun 21, 2011, 09:35 AM
Dear fellow MaCeans:),

I would like to discuss on the 16GB ram which are certified by apple. Currently i am awaiting for my new iMac to arrive and prior to that i have been surfing the net with my "White Macbook:D" for sleepless nights, on why 3rd 16GB party rams fail or contribute to the random shut down of the old 2010/2011 iMacs.

I even came across from apple forum written by fellow MaCeans that even 3rd party rams embedded with Samsung chips still does not solve the random shutdown. This somewhat concludes that apple rams especially the 16GB for i7 iMac are really "very special" and it goes stringent quality test. Now forking out S$700.00 for apple ram really means alot of money. However, what is the special stringent quality check is about?
Is it on the data seek rate? For those MaCeans who own the 2011 iMac with 16gb ram,can you please post a mem test to compare the seek rate with 3rd party 16gb ram kits. If their is something really special then, its worth for forking out extra bugs for apple certified rams and we know the hidden truth of apple special rams and their quality seek rates:cool:

Regards,
Vanan

:apple:27" iMac,16GB Ram, 2TB+256SSD,2GB VRAM:apple:

rj86
Jun 21, 2011, 09:43 AM
I guarantee that the RAM is not special. Any issues with RAM fitted at home are more likely down to ESD damage from users.

mrfoof82
Jun 21, 2011, 09:53 AM
All computer OEMs use memory and hard disks to pad margin. This is not specific to Apple. Go add 16GB of memory to a Dell, HP, Lenovo, ASUS, etc.

Why do they charge so much? They are selling you "more" of something. The "more" has an obvious, perceptable value to people. Also, 99% of people (at least, probably 99.9%) are afraid of the idea of opening their computer.

Apple uses Micron (Crucial), Samsung, Hynix and Elpida memory modules. They are not special. They meet the same requirements and conform to JEDEC specifications as everything else.

99.9% of the population pays for the value of having more memory, and not having to install it themselves. For all computer manufacturers.

duky
Jun 21, 2011, 09:53 AM
The 16 GB third party RAM in my 27" iMac has worked fine for months now. *knock on wood* I'm not sure what these "reports" are about but I would never shell out $500+ more for it from Apple.

Badger^2
Jun 21, 2011, 10:03 AM
I guarantee that the RAM is not special.

+1 totally agree.

then dont buy 16 gigs of ram? Is there some reason you think you need 16 gigs of ram all the sudden?

So, $150 for 16 gigs of ram.

Or you could spend $75 for 12 gigs of ram.

So essentially you are paying $75 more for 4 gigs...

I guess if you really *need* 16 gigs...

iSayuSay
Jun 21, 2011, 10:37 AM
No RAM is "special" actually. Whether it's normal or defective. Just consider why would u need that much of RAM? I dont get it whether u want to discuss RAM, or showing off your iMac spec here?

Too much detail for "RAM discussion thread" dont u think?
And who is Macean anyway?

crazzyeddie
Jun 21, 2011, 10:48 AM
If you really need alot of RAM... 32GB for iMac 2011 (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/1333DDR3S32S/)

theSeb
Jun 21, 2011, 10:50 AM
RAM certified by Apple. :D lol

I am amazed at the lengths people will go to justify why they allowed themselves to be ripped off.

Let's call it "unicorn ram" from now on.

rj86
Jun 21, 2011, 10:58 AM
I want Unicorn RAM! :eek:

Bear
Jun 21, 2011, 11:13 AM
I would like to discuss on the 16GB ram which are certified by apple. Currently i am awaiting for my new iMac to arrive and prior to that i have been surfing the net with my "White Macbook:D" for sleepless nights, on why 3rd 16GB party rams fail or contribute to the random shut down of the old 2010/2011 iMacs.Since you mention Apple sold memory, I will work with the presumption you mean 4*4GB for the iMac.

Buy memory from a reputable company. One with a decent warranty. Don't look to save $5 on memory from an off brand. To be clear, I'm talking about the memory company, not the store you buy it from. Reputable stores can still sell off brands of stuff.

Also, many people don't know how to install ram correctly. This can be the cause of the issues you're reading about.

Vanan Navarasan
Jun 21, 2011, 11:40 AM
Dear MaCean's (people who own macs),

Thanks for your prompt reply on the Ram issue:). My sole purpose to mention on this RAM topic was to clarify the doubts i or even the rest of us have on Apple Ram. This is because i myself doubted on how true can this "quality of ram" apple announces is true. However, my doubt persists as some forums showcase a higher performance rate obtained on a iMac i7 with 16gb ram,(apple certified rams).

Why, such tests was not conducted for a third party ram to bust the myth of apple rams???

As the saying goes "there's always two sides of a coin", one may just choose what he/she wish to believe. Facts "statistics" or just a hearsay. I am more interested on facts; a comparison study of apple ram vs 3rd party ram on a iMac to break the myths. This would be more beneficial to everyone.

On another note, NO, i am not here to boast about the specification of my iMac. However, just like any satisfied owner of an apple product, i am just mentioning the apple products i own with the rest of the forum members. That's all.:)

I also agree with the fact as some of the forum members pointed out that poor installations of ram or electrostatic damage of rams do contribute to memory failures.

Rgds,
Vanan

mrfoof82
Jun 21, 2011, 11:47 AM
Certification costs money. That's one reason why companies don't do it. Look at the list of Intel's certified memory modules for their retail motherboards and retail boxed processors. It's VERY small compared to what is available.

The second is why would Apple want to certify cheaper, third-party modules? What incentive does it have for Apple? Oh yeah, none. That's probably the main reason why third-party modules aren't "Apple certified".

KasperH
Jun 21, 2011, 12:20 PM
What benchmark exactly do you want us to run? And who's results can you compare it to (link?) i seriously doubt you will find many unicorn 16gb users at macrumors.