PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X 10.6.8 Release Imminent?

MacRumors
Jun 21, 2011, 01:17 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/mac-os-x-10-6-8-release-imminent/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/snow_leopard_question.jpg

Apple has just posted a new support document (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4705) noting that updating to Mac OS X 10.6.8 is "strongly recommended" for users running any of the new Final Cut Pro X applications released earlier today (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/apple-announces-final-cut-pro-x-motion-5-and-compressor-4-available-today/).Updating to Mac OS X v10.6.8 or later is strongly recommended when using Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, or Compressor 4.Mac OS X 10.6.8 is of course not yet publicly available, although it has been in developer testing for some time, with Apple appearing to be winding down development as evidenced by a pair of developer seeds (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/17/mac-os-x-10-6-8-build-10k540-seeded-to-developers/) released just a few days apart last week.

While Mac OS X 10.6.8 isn't technically a requirement for Final Cut Pro X and users are successfully running it today under Mac OS X 10.6.7, the strength of Apple's wording in the support document suggests that the software update should be making an appearance very soon to get users of the company's professional-level video production software on firm footing.

Article Link: Mac OS X 10.6.8 Release Imminent? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/mac-os-x-10-6-8-release-imminent/)

Schtumple
Jun 21, 2011, 01:23 PM
If it's strongly recommended to have 10.6.8 why bother releasing the FCP etc so soon? Why not wait till the OS update has been pushed out first...

Seems a bit sloppy to be honest.

atMac
Jun 21, 2011, 01:25 PM
10.6.8 really beachballs a lot with my SATAIII SSD.

awer25
Jun 21, 2011, 01:30 PM
If I update and it causes beachballs, is there an easy way to roll back to 10.6.7?

I'm assuming Time Machine, but I wouldn't want to restore all 1TB of data if possible.

KaneBaker
Jun 21, 2011, 01:31 PM
If I update and it causes beachballs, is there an easy way to roll back to 10.6.7?

I'm assuming Time Machine, but I wouldn't want to restore all 1TB of data if possible.

Right no in 10.6.7 Compressor beach balls on me without doing anything.
This is a bit sloppy.

jontech
Jun 21, 2011, 01:33 PM
how big is the 10.6.8 update?

tgmthegreenman
Jun 21, 2011, 01:35 PM
uh so we can buy but cant use it right now ---perfect!
but we may try to use it later on, but the our old systems may not work again ---great!

It doesnt matter by the way if we spent a thousand bucks on fcp, its a new app, so we all have to pay the same while the old app isnt supported any more and tutorial videos have been removed - great, ill trust this company!

roadbloc
Jun 21, 2011, 01:35 PM
Bring it on.

daneoni
Jun 21, 2011, 01:39 PM
uh so we can buy but cant use it right now ---perfect!
but we may try to use it later on, but the our old systems may not work again ---great!

It doesnt matter by the way if we spent a thousand bucks on fcp, its a new app, so we all have to pay the same while the old app isnt supported any more and tutorial videos have been removed - great, ill trust this company!

???

While Mac OS X 10.6.8 isn't technically a requirement for Final Cut Pro X and users are successfully running it today under Mac OS X 10.6.7

indshrty
Jun 21, 2011, 01:58 PM
10.6.8 really beachballs a lot with my SATAIII SSD.

What you mean beachballs?

And you know if Apple's SSD for 2011 MacBook Pro is SATAIII?

daneoni
Jun 21, 2011, 02:00 PM
What you mean beachballs?

And you know if Apple's SSD for 2011 MacBook Pro is SATAIII?

Freezes/hangs

No its SATAII

indshrty
Jun 21, 2011, 02:02 PM
Freezes/hangs

No its SATAII

Ohhh. Thanks.

Dan in PA
Jun 21, 2011, 02:05 PM
Hopefully MacBook Air graphics performance is fixed since the 10.6.7 combo update crippled it. I had to restore to 10.6.5 then incrementally update to 10.6.6, 10.6.7 and 10.6.7 supplemental.

Lucky736
Jun 21, 2011, 02:08 PM
Haven't had that issue at all with my SSD in either machine. Odd.

jonnysods
Jun 21, 2011, 02:19 PM
So this is the part where they leave SL in the dust.

I love SL. I'll be waiting a while until Lion is tested and had a few point releases before forging ahead.

igazza
Jun 21, 2011, 02:28 PM
how big is the 10.6.8 update?

450mb roughly.

Bear
Jun 21, 2011, 02:32 PM

I love SL. I'll be waiting a while until Lion is tested and had a few point releases before forging ahead.Yes 10.6.8 is very likely to be the last update to Snow Leopard with a version number. However, we will see security updates throughout the life of Lion probably. Just like Leopard is still seeing security updates.

A 10.6.9 is possible, but that would be an exception that I think has only happened once.

Tootles
Jun 21, 2011, 02:33 PM
When will the 10.7 release be imminent? Supposedly I have to wait for that one, just so I can buy the newest Macbook Air.

mattwolfmatt
Jun 21, 2011, 02:38 PM
When will the 10.7 release be imminent?

July.

Stuipdboy1000
Jun 21, 2011, 02:44 PM
Knowledge Base article is gone.

franswa za
Jun 21, 2011, 02:58 PM
+1

uuuhhhhmmmmmm,

do we need this? (of course we do!) we want it so BADLY................

if ever any of you have been even CLOSE to an african smelly breath cat...

hahaaa, i invite THE apple board........ be my guest

looking forward to os x lion........ halitoses, ticks et al

x

f

:cool:

interconnect
Jun 21, 2011, 03:02 PM

No it's not; still there.

Stuipdboy1000
Jun 21, 2011, 03:04 PM

My bad. I got a 404 for a while. It was reported missing on Twitter too. Must just have been temporary.

dickie001x
Jun 21, 2011, 03:10 PM
Yes 10.6.8 is very likely to be the last update to Snow Leopard with a version number. However, we will see security updates throughout the life of Lion probably. Just like Leopard is still seeing security updates.

A 10.6.9 is possible, but that would be an exception that I think has only happened once.

I think Tiger made it all the way up to 10.4.11.

41qser
Jun 21, 2011, 03:14 PM

Umm, no, it's been removed.

We're sorry.

We can't find the article you're looking for.

Please return to the Apple Support homepage.

interconnect
Jun 21, 2011, 03:17 PM
Umm, no, it's been removed.

Ummm, nope. Still working here. Don't know what's going on then, but it's definitely still working.

BlackMangoTree
Jun 21, 2011, 03:22 PM

Correct.

johnnyfx
Jun 21, 2011, 03:29 PM
Will you stop calling it 'company's professional-level video production software ' its Final Cut pro X is just a pimped iMovie with none of the features that the pro users needs -
No EDL support
No OMF support
No XML supporr

What is the point of this software it is no use to any film professional!

Apple has just given the advantage to Premiere Pro!

What a total waste of everyones time!

Tucom
Jun 21, 2011, 03:39 PM
Will you stop calling it 'company's professional-level video production software ' its Final Cut pro X is just a pimped iMovie with none of the features that the pro users needs -
No EDL support
No OMF support
No XML supporr

I thinks some logic could be used here. Those features may not be useful for you? but I know there are plenty of film professionals that really are benefiting from the professional-grade stability, power, features (besides whatever you're talking about), and what I'd assume the sheer amount of sound samples and that's just the tip of the ice-berg.

Again, this is what I'm presuming since I've talked to film professionals and they were always talking about Apple's Pro-Grade software suite.

Maybe it could use those 3 features, but I think there's a reason FC is still widely used.

morespce54
Jun 21, 2011, 03:47 PM
You think we'll be able to install this one without a DVD media?
Oups, wrong thread... ;)

winston1236
Jun 21, 2011, 03:48 PM
When will the 10.7 release be imminent? Supposedly I have to wait for that one, just so I can buy the newest Macbook Air.

wouldnt you want to get a more powerful model?

Hairball
Jun 21, 2011, 03:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Forget the 10.6.xx updates. Bring on Lion already!

johnnyfx
Jun 21, 2011, 03:57 PM
I thinks some logic could be used here. Those features may not be useful for you? but I know there are plenty of film professionals that really are benefiting from the professional-grade stability, power, features (besides whatever you're talking about), and what I'd assume the sheer amount of sound samples and that's just the tip of the ice-berg.

Again, this is what I'm presuming since I've talked to film professionals and they were always talking about Apple's Pro-Grade software suite.

Maybe it could use those 3 features, but I think there's a reason FC is still widely used.

FCP 7 is widely used because it has deck support, supports EDL's OMF's XML.

The bad:
You can import from iMovie, but not FCP7 (You are prompted to import from iMovie when you first fire it up).

There doesn't appear to be a PDF manual (just a help file)
It appears to do a lot of stuff in the background automatically. I swear I saw the colours on a clip change without me doing anything (there is a background tasks panel that shows what's going on but I didn't keep it open).

There are "presets" in the colour tool like "moonlight" and "sewer". There's also the famed "magic auto color balance" (so I guess that's all you colourists out of a job then).

Most of the icons are different from FCP7, as are the menus. So a bit of a learning curve there.

There is no support for decks. At. All. You can import HDV/DV/etc. but apparently not any grown-up tape formats.

The good:

It seems very fast.

So as I said what is the point, why did they not call it iMovie Pro. Rather than kill a great editing system!

RIP FCP!!!

coder12
Jun 21, 2011, 03:58 PM
Yes 10.6.8 is very likely to be the last update to Snow Leopard with a version number. However, we will see security updates throughout the life of Lion probably. Just like Leopard is still seeing security updates.

For some reason I think they're going to avoid the 6.9 numbers ... :rolleyes:

silusesMac
Jun 21, 2011, 04:16 PM
I just hope that this update ends my constant beach balls, im tired of my computer freezing so frequently now after 10.6.7, it sometimes feels like im using windows again with all the constant freezes and force quitting and all of that i have to go through. My computer is not that old its a MBP from 09' and has sufficent memory.

Nuckinfuts
Jun 21, 2011, 04:34 PM
I just hope that this update ends my constant beach balls, im tired of my computer freezing so frequently now after 10.6.7, it sometimes feels like im using windows again with all the constant freezes and force quitting and all of that i have to go through. My computer is not that old its a MBP from 09' and has sufficent memory.

Maybe you should give it a good 'ol reformat, or run CleanMyMac atleast

Morod
Jun 21, 2011, 05:24 PM
Hooray!
Make 10.6.8 a good release, Apple. Even if it takes a bit of extra time. I see myself staying with SL for a while, and it works pretty darn good right now, for me anyway.
Morod

stefanski
Jun 21, 2011, 05:25 PM
Freezes/hangs

WHAT??? It was supposed to FIX the SATAIII issues. I'm having enough trouble with my SATA III SSD on 10.6.7. Some guys claimed the problems went away with 10.6.8. This is not good at all.

daneoni
Jun 21, 2011, 05:32 PM

Panther also made it to 10.3.9

daneoni
Jun 21, 2011, 05:37 PM
No EDL support
No OMF support
No XML supporr

Are you the one who wrote this review?

johnnyfx
Jun 21, 2011, 06:30 PM
Are you the one who wrote this review?

No!But says similar things to what I said!

sectime
Jun 21, 2011, 06:42 PM
No EDL support
No OMF support
No XML supporr

Apple has changed directions on FCP, its not for the "film professional" anymore. Corporate training depts, schools, Video Editors, small businesses will love it, and the base will grow much larger than the niche of " Film Pros"
Change happens. So its not a waste of time.

scottsjack
Jun 21, 2011, 06:51 PM
Maybe one of the lessons of the whole Final Cut X/Mac App Store/Lion/iPad thing is going to be that the wisdom of throwing away one of the old ways of doing business isn't so wise after all.

It may just be that the computer business works best when one set of companies (Intel/nVidia/ATI/Western Digital/etc) makes the hardware, another company (Apple, MS) writes the operating system plus its supporting applications and a third party (Adobe/Intuit) writes the applications where the work is performed. An open system where everybody works pretty hard to make their products work with everybody elses stuff seems to have its benifits for the end users.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 21, 2011, 06:53 PM
I'd ask this on the Lion thread but it is filed with concern trolls spreading misinformation. it is just as good here though.

What I'm curious about is upgrading from SL to Lion.

Apple's web site states that 10.6 is required for the App Store. But what about Lion? What I'm getting at is that if the rumor about installing SL first in order to install Lion is true, do you need anymore than 10.6.0? Would you even need to install SL updates?

I'm thinking you could just install 10.6, download the App Store and then Lion. You could skip the SL upgrades to 10.6.8. Does this sound right to any beta testers out there?

After updating to Lion most of the same security updates would be available. Or perhaps when this is done, all updates to Lion including security updates would be bundled in it?

johnnyfx
Jun 21, 2011, 06:58 PM
Apple has changed directions on FCP, its not for the "film professional" anymore. Corporate training depts, schools, Video Editors, small businesses will love it, and the base will grow much larger than the niche of " Film Pros"
Change happens. So its not a waste of time.

Yes and sometime not for the better! All this is doing is allowing is bad habits and poor discipline. We waste so much time having to fix stuff by people who think they know what they are doing and so uneducated in work flow not see the errors of there ways! Then think it is our problem !

From playing with it for a few hours Apple just wants to make magic button film making. You have no real artistic control over what its doing. This to film making what the micro wave is to cooking. Has its place just dont say it is for professionals.

Just cos you can buy a guitar does not mean you can play like Jimi Hendrix. But its nice if you can at least tune you own strings!

Les Kern
Jun 21, 2011, 07:10 PM

that means someone was fired.

Rad99004
Jun 21, 2011, 07:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Forget the 10.6.xx updates. Bring on Lion already!

I just hope this patch makes my system stable again !

rdlink
Jun 21, 2011, 07:41 PM

I love SL. I'll be waiting a while until Lion is tested and had a few point releases before forging ahead.

Smart move. I love some of the new functionality of Lion, but I am finding it very unstable and buggy. Can't believe they're less than 40 days from releasing this. I hope that they have teams and teams of engineers rooting out all of the bugs. Including the new ones that the update to Dev 4 brought on.

MartiNZ
Jun 21, 2011, 09:18 PM
Panther also made it to 10.3.9

Yeah but it only had 17 months. Tiger had 2 1/2 years and a whole architecture transition and only got 2 updates further!

Vulpinemac
Jun 21, 2011, 11:36 PM
I hope it's adding OpenCL capability to older Macs. I have a 4-year-old iMac that works just fine but can't use FCP X because the video card isn't OpenCL capable. I know this issue was originally mentioned back in '09, but it'd be nice if they did something about it. I'm not willing to spend $300 Plus another $2000 or so for new hardware just to use it.

scottness
Jun 22, 2011, 12:26 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone Dark: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Pass... Last time I updated, I couldn't print until Canon released new drivers (2 months!). Had to save everything to PDF and print from my PC. Pain in my abacus.

Rad99004
Jun 22, 2011, 12:28 AM

I agree; same problem here.

fivenotrump
Jun 22, 2011, 04:12 AM
I'd ask this on the Lion thread but it is filed with concern trolls spreading misinformation. it is just as good here though.

Apple's web site states that 10.6 is required for the App Store. But what about Lion? What I'm getting at is that if the rumor about installing SL first in order to install Lion is true, do you need anymore than 10.6.0? Would you even need to install SL updates?

I'm thinking you could just install 10.6, download the App Store and then Lion. You could skip the SL upgrades to 10.6.8. Does this sound right to any beta testers out there?

After updating to Lion most of the same security updates would be available. Or perhaps when this is done, all updates to Lion including security updates would be bundled in it?

no - you need 10.6.6 for app store

G4DP
Jun 22, 2011, 04:53 AM

As you need 10.6.6 to have the App Store that will probably be a minimum requirement. However, the recommended version of Snow Leopard will probably be the most recent release. So come the end of July it'll likely say Minimum 10.6.6, recommended 10.6.8.

If the rumours on the other thread are true that you need Snow Leopard installed to do a clean install for Lion then you'd need to upgrade to 10.6.6 in order to get Lion from and to be authorised through the App store.

Hopefully there is something in the final GM to make this process and that of creating your own back up easy for the casual user. Yes most on here will be able to do so without trouble, - regardless of whether we agree with the distribution method - however I'm not sure 95% of Mac users would know what to do.

4God
Jun 23, 2011, 03:58 PM
I wonder if today's release of 10.6.8 changes anything with FCPX? Anybody download and try it with FCPX? :confused:

GGJstudios
Jun 29, 2011, 12:00 PM
Maybe you should give it a good 'ol reformat, or run CleanMyMac atleast
One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=709930)