Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

snow_leopard_question.jpg

Apple has just posted a new support document noting that updating to Mac OS X 10.6.8 is "strongly recommended" for users running any of the new Final Cut Pro X applications released earlier today.
Updating to Mac OS X v10.6.8 or later is strongly recommended when using Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, or Compressor 4.
Mac OS X 10.6.8 is of course not yet publicly available, although it has been in developer testing for some time, with Apple appearing to be winding down development as evidenced by a pair of developer seeds released just a few days apart last week.

While Mac OS X 10.6.8 isn't technically a requirement for Final Cut Pro X and users are successfully running it today under Mac OS X 10.6.7, the strength of Apple's wording in the support document suggests that the software update should be making an appearance very soon to get users of the company's professional-level video production software on firm footing.

Article Link: Mac OS X 10.6.8 Release Imminent?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
If it's strongly recommended to have 10.6.8 why bother releasing the FCP etc so soon? Why not wait till the OS update has been pushed out first...

Seems a bit sloppy to be honest.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
If I update and it causes beachballs, is there an easy way to roll back to 10.6.7?

I'm assuming Time Machine, but I wouldn't want to restore all 1TB of data if possible.

KaneBaker

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009
If I update and it causes beachballs, is there an easy way to roll back to 10.6.7?

I'm assuming Time Machine, but I wouldn't want to restore all 1TB of data if possible.

Right no in 10.6.7 Compressor beach balls on me without doing anything.
This is a bit sloppy.

tgmthegreenman

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
uh so we can buy but cant use it right now ---perfect!
but we may try to use it later on, but the our old systems may not work again ---great!

It doesnt matter by the way if we spent a thousand bucks on fcp, its a new app, so we all have to pay the same while the old app isnt supported any more and tutorial videos have been removed - great, ill trust this company!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
uh so we can buy but cant use it right now ---perfect!
but we may try to use it later on, but the our old systems may not work again ---great!

It doesnt matter by the way if we spent a thousand bucks on fcp, its a new app, so we all have to pay the same while the old app isnt supported any more and tutorial videos have been removed - great, ill trust this company!

???

While Mac OS X 10.6.8 isn't technically a requirement for Final Cut Pro X and users are successfully running it today under Mac OS X 10.6.7

Dan in PA

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2009
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hopefully MacBook Air graphics performance is fixed since the 10.6.7 combo update crippled it. I had to restore to 10.6.5 then incrementally update to 10.6.6, 10.6.7 and 10.6.7 supplemental.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
So this is the part where they leave SL in the dust.

I love SL. I'll be waiting a while until Lion is tested and had a few point releases before forging ahead.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
So this is the part where they leave SL in the dust.

I love SL. I'll be waiting a while until Lion is tested and had a few point releases before forging ahead.
Yes 10.6.8 is very likely to be the last update to Snow Leopard with a version number. However, we will see security updates throughout the life of Lion probably. Just like Leopard is still seeing security updates.

A 10.6.9 is possible, but that would be an exception that I think has only happened once.

Tootles

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
When will the 10.7 release be imminent? Supposedly I have to wait for that one, just so I can buy the newest Macbook Air.

franswa za

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
south africa

uuuhhhhmmmmmm,

do we need this? (of course we do!) we want it so BADLY................

if ever any of you have been even CLOSE to an african smelly breath cat...

hahaaa, i invite THE apple board........ be my guest

looking forward to os x lion........ halitoses, ticks et al

x

f

:cool:

dickie001x

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Yes 10.6.8 is very likely to be the last update to Snow Leopard with a version number. However, we will see security updates throughout the life of Lion probably. Just like Leopard is still seeing security updates.

A 10.6.9 is possible, but that would be an exception that I think has only happened once.

I think Tiger made it all the way up to 10.4.11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.