Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poisoned1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Hey guys, I just bought a mba few months ago and got somewhat familiar with it. It's my first mac. Currently im in school for computer engineering and focusing more towards software. I figured since i got the mac that i could spend my summer trying to learn writing code for it using Xcode. So far i know some basic c++ and java. I was reading up on coding for macs and bought a book called "Cocoa Programming Developer's Handbook" by David Chisnall. I choose this book because i saw it used Xcode and written for people that know some programming. The other objective c books i saw took it as the reader knew nothing about programming so it seemed like i knew half of the book already. Since this book is cocoa programming should i have also bought an objective c book as well? and any recommendations of books that briefly go over the basics and teach towards more advanced areas. Thanks for any helpful replies.

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
No just finish reading that book, start programming and if you feel ill-prepared at that point start looking at additional books. Reading is a good way to get started but at the end of the day you learn programming by programming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.