PDA

View Full Version : Last Chance for AppleCare for Early iPhone 4 Adopters

MacRumors
Jun 21, 2011, 09:49 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/last-chance-for-apple-care-for-early-iphone-4-adopters/)

iPhone 4 owners who purchased on or soon after launch day last year (June 24, 2010) will soon see their factory warranties expire. Warranties on most Apple products are good for one year.

Current iPhone 4 owners can look up exactly when their warranty is up can do so at Apple's Support site, simply by entering their iPhone serial number (https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do) on Apple's website. That online form will tell you exactly when your warranty expires.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/applecare.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/applecare.jpg)
That date is notable as its the last chance customers are able to purchase (http://www.apple.com/support/applecare/purchase/) AppleCare for their iPhone 4. For $69, AppleCare extends the original iPhone factory warranty to two years total and includes unlimited phone support. The one year anniversary is more notable this year as Apple has not introduced a new iPhone to take the iPhone 4's place.

While the merits of any extended warranty are always up for debate, if you're interested, the process to buy AppleCare can be done entirely online (http://www.apple.com/support/applecare/purchase), as long as the original factory warranty hasn't expired. In the past, Apple has been known to offer warranty coverage to users for a limited time after the factory warranty expires, but generally not for more than a few weeks.

Article Link: Last Chance for Apple Care for Early iPhone 4 Adopters (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/last-chance-for-apple-care-for-early-iphone-4-adopters/)

RMo
Jun 21, 2011, 09:54 PM
(I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but...) How is this news? Do they post this every time it's been exactly one year since Apple Product X launched?

I guess the iPhone is probably the most popular device, but I suspect most people savvy enough to read this site have a good idea of how AppleCare works.

dagamer34
Jun 21, 2011, 09:55 PM
Hmm... I should get my home button looked at before my AppleCare is up. Multi-tasking has practically killed it.

thadoggfather
Jun 21, 2011, 09:56 PM
Conspiracy: they get kickbacks from Apple for this

Non-conspiracy: MR is just looking out for you, and to be the source to have said: "toldja so."

Same reason they reveal rumor news: so people aren't surprised when they decide to buy outdated hardware days before the new generation comes out.

Come on people. Who cares?

arn
Jun 21, 2011, 09:59 PM
Hmm... I should get my home button looked at before my AppleCare is up. Multi-tasking has practically killed it.

I got my iPhone 4 replaced due to home button issues just a few days ago. I don't have Apple Care, so that's on my original warranty.

arn

crisss1205
Jun 21, 2011, 10:03 PM
I just looked up my serial number and it says that it is under AppleCare and it expires on June 23, 2012 yet I never purchased AppleCare for my iPhone. I am 100% sure I did not buy it since I get a new iPhone every year. (Eligible every 12 months from AT&T)

RaceJohnson
Jun 21, 2011, 10:06 PM
just got the back panel replaced yesterday on original warranty.. all is good. a little sketchy going into the apple store with iOS 5 installed ;)

Reaktor5
Is this the ONLY chance to extend AppleCare for early iPhone 4 adopters? Say it expires, can't I just buy AppleCare a month or two later?

koa
Buy phone and applecare with a CC that extends the warranty for a year and you will be fully covered for a total of 3 years. AmEx is very liberal on coverage and just credits you account.

iDisk
Jun 21, 2011, 10:07 PM
A better front page article would have been Larry Jordans Updated review (http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/wordpress/archives/1505) and tips and opinon on the New Final Cut X .... Maybe you guys can do that instead.... Larry assures that everyone will be using FCX in 18months....

Just trying to help the new guy :)

jtgotsjets
Jun 21, 2011, 10:07 PM
Macrumors is now running according to Apple Store employee guidelines.

("Push the AppleCare!")

arn
Jun 21, 2011, 10:09 PM
A better front page article would have been Larry Jordans Updated review (http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/wordpress/archives/1505) and tips and opinon on the New Final Cut X .... Maybe you guys can do that instead.... Larry assures that everyone will be using FCX in 18months....

Scroll down: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/early-final-cut-pro-x-response-mixed-updates-coming/

iDisk
Jun 21, 2011, 10:11 PM
I got my iPhone 4 replaced due to home button issues just a few days ago. I don't have Apple Care, so that's on my original warranty.

arn

Does it really matter when people generally replace the iPhone yearly or get it replaced because "it broke"... besides isn't the new one arriving in the Fall? Apple caters to the iOS devices so a need for applecare isn't needed based on my experience.

Macrumors is now running according to Apple Store employee guidelines.

("Push the AppleCare!")

Lol I remember those days

Scroll down: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/early-final-cut-pro-x-response-mixed-updates-coming/

Lol my bad ... Thanks,.. even though I read the blog already

arn
Jun 21, 2011, 10:14 PM
Does it really matter when people generally replace the iPhone yearly or get it replaced because "it broke"... besides isn't the new one arriving in the Fall? Apple caters to the iOS devices so a need for applecare isn't needed based on my experience.

Except there is no yearly (yet) iPhone this year. I personally don't get AppleCare on anything. I did get my iPhone 4 replaced under warranty a few days before that warranty expired, however. Me bringing it in was triggered by my awareness that my year was almost up.

arn

Trauma1
Jun 21, 2011, 10:15 PM
Say it expires, can't I just buy AppleCare a month or two later?

No.

DCJ001
Jun 21, 2011, 10:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is this the ONLY chance to extend AppleCare for early iPhone 4 adopters? Say it expires, can't I just buy AppleCare a month or two later?

As Steve would say:

Nope.

Mal
Jun 21, 2011, 10:16 PM

No. There is often a two-week or so grace period in which they will still allow you to purchase AppleCare, but officially if you are even one day over you won't be allowed to purchase AppleCare. Basically, don't even think about counting on being able to buy it after your warranty expires, because the official answer is no.

jW

haruhiko
Jun 21, 2011, 10:18 PM
Wow, you're even earlier than Apple to remind me of this. :eek:

vincenz
Jun 21, 2011, 10:21 PM
What is this, an advertisement?

haruhiko
Jun 21, 2011, 10:24 PM

MR would be really dumb if they don't receive anything from Apple for posting this "ad". :D

Grimace
Jun 21, 2011, 10:25 PM
My serial number shows up as the phone warranty expiring on June 22nd. Kinda stinks that I don't even get a year warranty!

ckelley
Jun 21, 2011, 10:26 PM
How funny, I actually thought of this earlier today as my home button has pretty much stopped working (and has for months) and looked to see when my 1 year of AppleCare is up. I usually update every year, so I never bothered to get it, but with this year's new update schedule, I knew I was getting close. I have another month, but I've already scheduled my genius bar appointment to get it replaced as soon as possible!

And I love the people complaining or saying this is some sort of ad... Maybe it is, it probably isn't though, but it's a good reminder. If it's that big of a problem for you, move on and stop wasting your supposedly precious time commenting on this "non-story".

CalBoy
Except there is no yearly (yet) iPhone this year. I personally don't get AppleCare on anything. I did get my iPhone 4 replaced under warranty a few days before that warranty expired, however. Me bringing it in was triggered by my awareness that my year was almost up.

arn

I can appreciate that sense of timing and urgency, but does that qualify it for a Front Page story? None of the information is new, rumored, or even an amalgamation of previously disparate information. Quite frankly, it reads like product placement.

iDisk

arn

Would you buy the new iPhone when it releases? I ask because, Apple did a great job with the iPhone 4 and I don't see much in regards to hardware that could warrant a must have upgrade besides better optic cameras and maybe more ram to accommodate.

Tilpots
Jun 21, 2011, 10:32 PM

arn

Thinking about taking mine in for the exact same issue. Luckily have a few days left. Thanks for posting this. Most of us find it helpful. Others, well...:rolleyes:

arn
Jun 21, 2011, 10:33 PM
Would you buy the new iPhone when it releases? I ask because, Apple did a great job with the iPhone 4 and I don't see much in regards to hardware that could warrant a must have upgrade besides better optic cameras and maybe more ram to accommodate.

Of course I'll buy one, but I'm not a typical consumer. But a lot of people do upgrade annually.

I can appreciate that sense of timing and urgency, but does that qualify it for a Front Page story? None of the information is new, rumored, or even an amalgamation of previously disparate information. Quite frankly, it reads like product placement.

Lots of MacRumors readers are early adopters. Lots of people use MacRumors for purchase decisions. This is the first time there hasn't been an annual (on the dot) iPhone upgrade for people to buy up.

As for accusations. Apple doesn't even reply to my emails, much less give us money for anything. As far as they are concerned we don't exist.

arn

huythanhv2
Jun 21, 2011, 10:34 PM
My iPhone went through the whole wash cycle (and it survived!). Should I bother with this?

Just asking =P

shanmugam
Jun 21, 2011, 10:35 PM
Leave arn alone! :d

haruhiko
Jun 21, 2011, 10:37 PM
For my MBP, I understand the need of an extended warranty (although not for the current insane price for 15/17 inch MBPs), but for an iPhone, I don't think there is a need for 2-year warranty as its a highly portable device, which is prone to accidental damage (being dropped, water damage, etc.) outside the coverage of AppleCare...;)

duaneu
Jun 21, 2011, 10:37 PM
My home button is wearing out too, but it hasn't seemed bad enough to get it replaced yet. I decided to go ahead and get the Apple Care. Even if there's a new phone in the fall, I'll probably wait until I'm upgrade eligible in February.

lilcosco08
Jun 21, 2011, 10:38 PM
Nice try, Apple :p

DeaconGraves
Jun 21, 2011, 10:46 PM
Why the heck is this front page news?

pmz
Jun 21, 2011, 10:49 PM
Who frigging cares, where is iPhone 5 already??

IOS 5 may be a nice big update, but as far as I'm concerned its just late.

When it's not out in June/July, it's late.

appleguy123
Jun 21, 2011, 10:57 PM
I didn't know that it could be done online, so I just wasted $10 for expedited shipping, fml. :(

jaykk
Jun 21, 2011, 11:04 PM
Thank you for the timely reminder. My warranty expires in couple of days, I do have an issue with lock button (not the home button).

Sometimes, being this on front news do help the readers. Thanks again.

skier777
Jun 21, 2011, 11:08 PM
Save your 69 bucks for the nexgen hardware...

CalBoy
Jun 21, 2011, 11:10 PM
Lots of MacRumors readers are early adopters. Lots of people use MacRumors for purchase decisions. This is the first time there hasn't been an annual (on the dot) iPhone upgrade for people to buy up.

I realize this is all a matter of opinion, but even with all these reasons the story itself doesn't seem to be news at all. It's almost like a reminder.

To me (and I think many in this thread judging by even more irate commentary than mine) rumors of an August iPhone 5, news of no hardware at WWDC, and leaks from parts suppliers are a lot better as far as a decision-making guide is concerned. After all, the Buyer's Guide itself does not list Applecare as a product that is "updated."

The sudden attention to Applecare absent any actual news, rumors, or leaks, is so uncharacteristic of the site that it compels us to wonder what is going on. Adding to the confusion is its Page 1 status; are all consumer reminders going to receive similar fanfare in the future?

As for accusations. Apple doesn't even reply to my emails, much less give us money for anything. As far as they are concerned we don't exist.

While it's pretty obvious that Apple wouldn't touch MR with a 10-foot pole, the fact remains that the story is written like typical product placement. I don't attribute this to any malicious or clandestine goal, just sloppy writing.

DeaconGraves
Jun 21, 2011, 11:14 PM
I realize this is all a matter of opinion, but even with all these reasons the story itself doesn't seem to be news at all. It's almost like a reminder.

To me (and I think many in this thread judging by even more irate commentary than mine) rumors of an August iPhone 5, news of no hardware at WWDC, and leaks from parts suppliers are a lot better as far as a decision-making guide is concerned. After all, the Buyer's Guide itself does not list Applecare as a product that is "updated."

The sudden attention to Applecare absent any actual news, rumors, or leaks, is so uncharacteristic of the site that it compels us to wonder what is going on. Adding to the confusion is its Page 1 status; are all consumer reminders going to receive similar fanfare in the future?

While it's pretty obvious that Apple wouldn't touch MR with a 10-foot pole, the fact remains that the story is written like typical product placement. I don't attribute this to any malicious or clandestine goal, just sloppy writing.

This 100%. Thank you for writing this better than I could. :)

doctor-don
Jun 21, 2011, 11:16 PM

arn

Then you didn't buy / own the 2004 PowerBook G4 with the faulty internal electronics that should have been recalled based on all the discussions in 2005 ... or you don't have to worry about the cost of replacing a dead PB.

The only thing that saved me was the additional warranty because it was bought with a VISA card that doubled the manufacturer's warranty. I was able to replace it in December 2005.

Of course I'll buy one, but I'm not a typical consumer. But a lot of people do upgrade annually.

arn

Thank you, early adopters. Get those bugs out before I spend MY money.

And if you bought an iPhone 4 in the last month or two, you still have 10 or 11 months to worry about Applecare.

bushman4
Jun 21, 2011, 11:25 PM
If you plan on keeping this Iphone another year insurance is worth it as your battery will most likely need replacement

unixphone
Jun 21, 2011, 11:26 PM
thanks for reminding me.
I cannot believe i lost the ebay auction...
oh well, i just placed it through apple site and surprisingly, NO TAX in CA!!!

the8thark
Jun 21, 2011, 11:42 PM
(I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but...) How is this news? Do they post this every time it's been exactly one year since Apple Product X launched?

I guess the iPhone is probably the most popular device, but I suspect most people savvy enough to read this site have a good idea of how AppleCare works.
I 2nd this. Is MacRumors getting that bad they have to remind people to buy AppleCare and call it news?

I have a funny feeling MacRumors cares more about page clicks then providing good news content. Which is very sad. And I just don't know if the staff at MacRumors even care. I really hope they do care. But articles like this really make me start to wonder.

Only the MacRumors staff will know this. But to the untrained eye (which is most people reading these sites) it sure looks that way.

ziggyonice
Jun 22, 2011, 12:04 AM
To all the naysayers complaining, "Why is MR posting this? Is this an ad? Blah blah blah..."

Shut up.

It's a friendly reminder. I know an *uncountable* number of people who've said "Oh, I'll get AppleCare later" and then they never do when their product dies. If that doesn't pertain to you, or if you don't want AppleCare, please move along.

andyadler
Jun 22, 2011, 12:05 AM
Is AppleCare transferable to a new owner if I sell my iPhone?

Thanks...A.

boriscolombia
Jun 22, 2011, 12:13 AM
yes It is and its funny because I had just checked today and realized that I had less than 2 days to buy it, and then I came here and saw the same reminder, I do plan on keeping my IP4 for one more year until the 6th gen comes out, also I wasn't charged taxes to NC so thats a small pluss :)

jacobo007
Jun 22, 2011, 12:19 AM
Stop complaining people, there where a lot of nice rumors/news today posted on the site, itīs not like MacRumors is posting crap all day long, arn had an experience with his iPhone recently that made him aware of this Apple Care stuff and thought he could help someone in the same situation, there is nothing more to it.

tbobmccoy
Jun 22, 2011, 12:29 AM
Stop complaining people, there where a lot of nice rumors/news today posted on the site, itīs not like MacRumors is posting crap all day long, arn had an experience with his iPhone recently that made him aware of this Apple Care stuff and thought he could help someone in the same situation, there is nothing more to it.

I think people are ink blotting this into a conspiracy. Macarumors regulars are both early adopters AND conspiracy nuts :)

I wonder how much it'll matter for resale if there's no AppleCare on the phone this year... ???

appleguy123
Jun 22, 2011, 12:33 AM
I think people are ink blotting this into a conspiracy. Macarumors regulars are both early adopters AND conspiracy nuts :)

I wonder how much it'll matter for resale if there's no AppleCare on the phone this year... ???

This is the only reason I'm buying AC. I want the buyer to feel assured and not think I'm tricking them into buying a shoddy device.

hexonxonx
Jun 22, 2011, 12:49 AM
I don't buy Apple care for anything and have never needed it. Extended warranties are designed to be extra revenue streams with the believe that the consumer will never use it.

I paid for an extended warranty on my Chevy and never once had to take it in for a single repair in four years. They offered me a renewal on it and I refused.

appleguy123
Jun 22, 2011, 01:02 AM
I don't buy Apple care for anything and have never needed it. Extended warranties are designed to be extra revenue streams with the believe that the consumer will never use it.

I paid for an extended warranty on my Chevy and never once had to take it in for a single repair in four years. They offered me a renewal on it and I refused.
Every time I've ever bought AppleCare I've used it. It saved me over $1000 on a Mac repair a had a few months ago.

Lasaluki
Jun 22, 2011, 01:27 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

The extend warranty delivered a new 20K engine for husband's Viper. Been a true believer ever since. Every year I've gotten a new iPhone and given my daughter the older one. For her sake I've extended the warranty.

Prodo123
Jun 22, 2011, 01:41 AM
Funny, how I pre-ordered my iPhone 4 on WWDC 2010 on June 14, 2010 and received it on August 1x. Now I don't have to worry about this for 2 months, even though I'm one of the earliest adopters.

captain kaos
Jun 22, 2011, 02:29 AM

arn

My friend had the home button replaced as well, is this a know issue with the 4?

Kebabselector
Jun 22, 2011, 02:59 AM
Maybe we should have an early adopters of iPhone 3gs who bought apple care now have no warranty thread :eek:

Tastydirt
Jun 22, 2011, 03:03 AM
My friend had the home button replaced as well, is this a know issue with the 4?

I also had home button issues and it got replaced. The genius said it was a common problem with iPhone 4s.

He also said that I have a couple months after the current AppleCare expires to buy another years cover.

LaMerVipere
Jun 22, 2011, 03:07 AM
My AppleCare is up this week so I finally ordered it for my iPhone 4. This seems like a sound investment to me. I will stay with AT&T through the end of my contract a year from now.

I have already had my iPhone replaced once, so has my dad, my significant other twice already. We're all getting AppleCare this week. It's kind of a no-brainer.

If you want to be stuck paying hundreds for a new phone with a couple months left on your contract, that's your poison.

I also always purchase AppleCare for my Macs. My friend didn't want to buy it for his MB but I begged and pleaded for him to, and a few months later his computer went in and got $750 worth of repairs for free.

Thanks for posting this MacRumors (arn).

Icaras
Jun 22, 2011, 03:17 AM
Hey Arn,

Just wanted to say thank you so much for having MR write up this article and having it on the front page.

I have the same issues as you with my iPhone 4's home button for quite some time (extremely annoying) and I just totally forgot that there was a one year manufacturer warranty on it.

I'll be calling Apple tomorrow to get mine exchanged then. Hopefully, they'll allow me to swap mine for a white one now. :D

Thanks again!

Jeaz
Jun 22, 2011, 04:43 AM
In my country the protection plan isn't available and for once it's a good thing, as 2 years warranty is mandatory by law :-)

legacy fan
Jun 22, 2011, 05:19 AM

Agree - iPhone 4 in my opinion is much more like a mac than their previous models. One that doesn't have to fall into the typical cellphone "3-6 months and obsolete" cycle.

I think Steve & the boys realize that too, which is why they allowed this June to pass without an update to the line.

Personally, it has what I want/wanted in a phone. iOS 5 will tweak/ match my current jb experience, and keep me satisfied for a good while. In terms of style and design there really isn't a phone that's comparable. Unless this one breaks, my next iPhone will be a hoverboard. #BacktotheFuture2

Oh, and I'll be grandfathered into unlimited data. LTE, not for me. FiOS rolls fast enough if I need it.

duky
Jun 22, 2011, 05:21 AM
Great reminder! Mine was set to expire today (22nd). I'll be selling whenever the new one comes and selling a phone with warranty is a lot more reliable despite the fact that I would be covered by my Amex warranty.

bushido
Jun 22, 2011, 05:36 AM
nah thx i rather get insurance from my provider for 2 years for 70 $ and can throw it in the water, out of a building or whatever and get it replaced for free

jamied95
Jun 22, 2011, 05:37 AM
If you get your phone replaced, don't you get another 90 days of warranty anyway? Leading you straight into mid-september!

daneoni
Jun 22, 2011, 05:53 AM
Don't really feel like buying it unless i can get it cheaper (£61/$98)...especially given that it doesn't cover water or glass damage. If the phone breaks i'll use a service like Gazelle and get a new one.

Flitzy
Jun 22, 2011, 06:38 AM

You clearly thought this post was important enough to post in, though.

If you don't want to read it, then don't read it. If you want things posted a certain way, get your own site.

diamond.g
Jun 22, 2011, 07:02 AM
For those of us that got our phones 2 days early, today is the last day of our 1 year of AppleCare.

Mike49
Jun 22, 2011, 07:15 AM
Some weirdness happnin' here... entered my S/N and it told me that my iPhone 4 is not activated. "Please contact your service provider to activate your phone." :confused::confused:

Been using this thing with no issues since launch (or thereabouts).

vatkins1906
Jun 22, 2011, 07:25 AM
I attempted numerous times to look up my warranty expiration using my serial number and i continue to get the message my phone is not activated. I guess i've been talking on a brick in outer space for the past 9 months....:mad:

piratemc74
Jun 22, 2011, 07:48 AM

Once your original warranty expires you can no longer buy AppleCare.

NikeTalk
Jun 22, 2011, 07:53 AM
Is there a battery test? I just want a new battery to last me until iPhone 6 but on the fence about buying Apple Care when I could just get an exchange. Is this a hard process?

KnightWRX
Jun 22, 2011, 07:54 AM
Will we get a news story every time the window to acquire "Apple care" is almost up on a refreshed Apple product ? That could get old quick...

KindredMAC
Jun 22, 2011, 08:06 AM
Mine expires today.... and my Home Button acts wonky every once in a while... what to do.....

reactions
Jun 22, 2011, 08:06 AM
For the people complaining about the home button ...

Is it a software related issue? I have to click it a few times for multitasking to respond - is that what your talking about?

duky
Jun 22, 2011, 08:13 AM
If you get your phone replaced, don't you get another 90 days of warranty anyway? Leading you straight into mid-september!

You won't be able to extend that warranty from that date though. You can only extend from the anniversary of your date of purchase. The courtesy 90 days just applies to that replacement hardware they gave you and is like back in the day when refurbs could not be extended past their initial warranty period.

G5isAlive
Jun 22, 2011, 08:27 AM
not sure what all the haters are going on about, its easy to scroll past the reminder if it doesn't apply to you. This was a great reminder, usually a new product takes care of the warranty problem, this year, maybe a new phone in a few months, maybe I will upgrade, maybe not, but would I have remembered my phone's birthday? Doubt it. Happy Birthday phone. Now here's your applecare contract. Thanks MR

jmcrutch
Jun 22, 2011, 08:33 AM
The iPhone comes with a 1 year warranty (phone support limited to 90 days I believe). Most people pay for their phone purchases with credit cards. Most credit cards extend (i.e. "double the length of time") manufacturers' warranties of 1 year or less. So, for me, since my AmEx doubles the one-year warranty that comes stock, I'd essentially be paying $69 for the privilege of phone support. The local genius bar suffices in that case.

And in case anyone wonders how easy it is to use the credit card warranty coverage, when I had to have an optical drive replaced on my MBP, I simply charged it to the AmEx, called AmEx and filed a claim and they took care of it without any further paperwork.

Superman Y2K
Jun 22, 2011, 08:49 AM
This is the first iPhone I'm going to actually pass on to my wife instead of selling so I went ahead and bit the bullet.

ncbill
Jun 22, 2011, 08:53 AM
Squaretrade's is $30 more but covers drops & spills.

winty03
Jun 22, 2011, 09:16 AM
Iíve been having a silent switch that has been VERY stiff and doesn't seem to have a definitely "click" to each position. Itís to the point I have to grasp the phone with 2 hands and use edge of finger nail to move the switch. I will be heading to MSP where thereís an Apple store at MOA, (I'm 3hrs away). Thinking of stopping in there to see what they can do. I have searched and haven't seen a lot of switch issues? Do they repair in store, ship it out or just replace device?

NightFox
Jun 22, 2011, 09:21 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

Very clever Mr Jobs, wait till they've all bought AppleCare and THEN announce the new iPhone ;)

vagabondlife4me
Jun 22, 2011, 09:26 AM

Nope. One your warranty expires so does your chance to buy AppleCare

chris975d
Jun 22, 2011, 09:28 AM
For the people complaining about the home button ...

Is it a software related issue? I have to click it a few times for multitasking to respond - is that what your talking about?

It sounds like you have the common Home button problem. As far as I know, it's a hardware issue, and Apple will typically replace your phone no questions asked if brought in for that problem. I had it as well, but my phone was replaced last week for it (and the fact that I had shattered the screen).

vagabondlife4me
Jun 22, 2011, 09:28 AM
The iPhone comes with a 1 year warranty (phone support limited to 90 days I believe). Most people pay for their phone purchases with credit cards. Most credit cards extend (i.e. "double the length of time") manufacturers' warranties of 1 year or less. So, for me, since my AmEx doubles the one-year warranty that comes stock....

Actually AMEX extends it for another year after AppleCare as well. So AMEX + APP = 3 years

striker33
Jun 22, 2011, 09:37 AM
If you actually take care of your device, i.e. keep it aesthetically pleasing, then you dont need a warranty. If something goes wrong internally then Apple Stores will happily replace it regardless of age, as they can simply fix the problem inside and sell the phone as new again, making another sale.

mariocapo
Jun 22, 2011, 09:51 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

Very clever Mr Gates, wait till they've all bought AppleCare and THEN announce the new iPhone ;)

Bill Gates is running Apple now?? :confused:

reactions
Jun 22, 2011, 09:53 AM
It sounds like you have the common Home button problem. As far as I know, it's a hardware issue, and Apple will typically replace your phone no questions asked if brought in for that problem. I had it as well, but my phone was replaced last week for it (and the fact that I had shattered the screen).

Good to know!

Yes I will get it fixed then. How are the replacements? Good condition?

It's frustrating at times I double click and it goes to the home screen and then sometimes it's just not responsive.

chris975d
Jun 22, 2011, 09:59 AM
Good to know!

Yes I will get it fixed then. How are the replacements? Good condition?

It's frustrating at times I double click and it goes to the home screen and then sometimes it's just not responsive.

The replacements are typically refurbished models, and are literally "good as new". Actually, in the case of a faulty home button, they are better than new. :D

davjaxn
Jun 22, 2011, 09:59 AM
Who frigging cares, where is iPhone 5 already??

IOS 5 may be a nice big update, but as far as I'm concerned its just late.

When it's not out in June/July, it's late.

Well it's a good thing June isn't even over yet! :D

CalBoy
Jun 22, 2011, 10:10 AM
You clearly thought this post was important enough to post in, though.

If you don't want to read it, then don't read it. If you want things posted a certain way, get your own site.

This isn't like the millionth thread about the "color of your iPhone!" or something like that. This is a Page 1 news story that the site is billing as important and relevant, even though nothing happened.

It's one thing to ignore a random private poster who can't use the search function; it's quite another to do the same with a team of professional bloggers who earn money by writing these articles. At that stage, you are opening yourself up to criticism because you are in fact claiming to be a professional.

KnightWRX
Jun 22, 2011, 10:15 AM
Well it's a good thing June isn't even over yet! :D

There's no iPhone coming in June.

diamond.g
Jun 22, 2011, 10:27 AM
Squaretrade's is $30 more but covers drops & spills.

I thought you only had a 90 day window (from date of purchase) to get their warranty.

modufour
Jun 22, 2011, 11:37 AM
I don't understand why its 79,99 in Canada? Should it be cheaper considering the exchange rate?

:mad:

koobcamuk
Jun 22, 2011, 12:02 PM
Great advert, I mean, news.

bushido
Jun 22, 2011, 12:19 PM
i broke my iPhone 4 three times already and got it replaced for free each time with a new one by my phone companies partner insurance company :D no need for apple care

KillerTree
Jun 22, 2011, 12:24 PM
Is should be noted in the news post one of the most useful uses of the 1 year warranty:

If your battery life is half of what it used to be, Apple can replace it for free.

Mine is like 60% sadly so I don't think Apple would replace it >_<

NikeTalk
Jun 22, 2011, 12:47 PM
Is should be noted in the news post one of the most useful uses of the 1 year warranty:

If your battery life is half of what it used to be, Apple can replace it for free.

Mine is like 60% sadly so I don't think Apple would replace it >_<

How do they determine this? Can I just tell them?

ny3ranger
Jun 22, 2011, 12:58 PM
I wish this covered a broken screen. I have it but that's not covered.

Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/last-chance-for-apple-care-for-early-iphone-4-adopters/)

iPhone 4 owners who purchased on or soon after launch day last year (June 24, 2010) will soon see their factory warranties expire. Warranties on most Apple products are good for one year.

Current iPhone 4 owners can look up exactly when their warranty is up can do so at Apple's Support site, simply by entering their iPhone serial number (https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do) on Apple's website. That online form will tell you exactly when your warranty expires.

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/applecare.jpg)

That date is notable as its the last chance customers are able to purchase (http://www.apple.com/support/applecare/purchase/) AppleCare for their iPhone 4. For $69, AppleCare extends the original iPhone factory warranty to two years total and includes unlimited phone support. The one year anniversary is more notable this year as Apple has not introduced a new iPhone to take the iPhone 4's place.

While the merits of any extended warranty are always up for debate, if you're interested, the process to buy AppleCare can be done entirely online (http://www.apple.com/support/applecare/purchase), as long as the original factory warranty hasn't expired. In the past, Apple has been known to offer warranty coverage to users for a limited time after the factory warranty expires, but generally not for more than a few weeks.

Article Link: Last Chance for Apple Care for Early iPhone 4 Adopters (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/last-chance-for-apple-care-for-early-iphone-4-adopters/)

ny3ranger
Jun 22, 2011, 12:59 PM
I thought you only had a 90 day window (from date of purchase) to get their warranty.

Nope you have until the end of the 1 year warrenty for all of apples products, last time I asked.

HardHatMac9
Jun 22, 2011, 01:15 PM
Thank for the reminder, Macrumors! I just read this today and renewed just in time as today was the last day I could renew.

appleguy123
Jun 22, 2011, 01:18 PM
Nope you have until the end of the 1 year warrenty for all of apples products, last time I asked.

You know he's talking about SquareTrade,right?

vivithemage
Jun 22, 2011, 01:32 PM
squaretrade ftw

****, mine ends today!

Estimated Expiration Date: June 22, 2011

GREEN4U
Jun 22, 2011, 02:13 PM

We want a THINNER one! (And by we I mean Steve.) :rolleyes:

TaiTam
Jun 22, 2011, 02:58 PM
Lets not forget that many credit cards offer an additional 1 year warranty coverage if you purchased your phone with one of these cards.

mdelvecchio
Jun 22, 2011, 03:09 PM

thanks for letting us know, man.

SuperZeroIce
Jun 22, 2011, 04:47 PM
Feels good to be european and have 2 years of standard warranty. :apple:

G4DP
Jun 22, 2011, 06:22 PM
Will we get a news story every time the window to acquire "Apple care" is almost up on a refreshed Apple product ? That could get old quick...

Was thinking exactly the same. Are you guys going to start doing it for the everything?

scoobydoo99
Jun 22, 2011, 07:30 PM
So, I assume most of you know...extended warranties are a bad idea. The reason is simple economics: The company selling the extended warranty makes money off of the deal.

This means that when the odds of needing a covered reapair and the cost of those repairs are extrapolated across all the extended warranties sold, the value of the repairs received (including zero value for buyers who don't make a warranty claim) is less than the revenue generated from the sale of the warranty.

SO, if you NEVER buy an extended warranty in your life, and pay for all repairs out of pocket, you will spend LESS than if you ALWAYS buy extended warranties and get "free" repairs (statistically speaking).

There is one category of consumers who might choose to purchase the extended warranty anyway, and that is those who are on such a limited income that they couldn't absorb the cost of a "catastrophic" failure (i.e. - $599 to entirely replace the phone.) Those people may choose to pay the "higher" cost of extended warranty to avoid the possibility of short-term hardship. But make no mistake, you are paying more in the long run.

reactions
Jun 22, 2011, 09:24 PM
The replacements are typically refurbished models, and are literally "good as new". Actually, in the case of a faulty home button, they are better than new. :D

Thanks

Imola Ghost
Jun 22, 2011, 11:05 PM
I clicked on the link to check my status and it was allowing me to buy the Apple Care. I did buy my original iPhone 4 on launch day. I would like to buy the Apple Care but when I go thru with the buying and enter my email, then select to email me the information it says

"We're sorry, but service is not available in this location."

obama3344
Jun 23, 2011, 02:39 AM

yap, my home button after one year has the same problem. And luckily I have one day to replace it. Tomorrow is my last day of warranty.

Ntombi
Jul 4, 2011, 07:46 AM
Well, I did see this story, thought about it, and decided to roll the dice without AppleCare until the 5 comes out.

Should have known better.

FF to this weekend, when my ear speaker blew out. :eek: I hot-footed it to the :apple: Store, and put on my charming face. Max the Genius told me I was 9 days past warranty, but he would swap it out anyway, and I was to go straight home and buy AppleCare over the phone.

*whew*

Max the Genius saved me $130.

Oh, and while I wasn't unhappy with my home button, the home button on my new phone is much "clickier."