PDA

View Full Version : Bloomberg Confirms September iPhone 5 Launch, Hi-Res iPad 3?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 21, 2011, 10:57 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/bloomberg-confirms-september-iphone-5-launch-hi-res-ipad-3/)

Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-22/apple-said-to-prepare-faster-iphone-for-september.html) reaffirms the circulating rumors that Apple will launch a new iPhone in September of this year and is working on a high resolution iPad 3.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article/2010/10/27/154107-iphone_4_sim_slot.jpg

They cite two people "familiar with the plans" who indicate that the new iPhone will carry a faster processor and more advanced camera:The device will include the A5 processor, the more powerful chip that Apple added to the iPad 2 earlier this year, along with an 8-megapixel camera, up from the 5-megapixel model in the iPhone 4, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the details aren‚€™t public. The new iPhone is said to closely resemble the iPhone 4. As expected, the new iPhone will run iOS 5 which is reportedly codenamed "Telluride".

Bloomberg's sources also report that Apple is testing a version of the iPad that has a "higher resolution screen, similar to the one now used in the iPhone 4". From here, Bloomberg references older rumors that Apple might be working on a cheaper iPhone aimed at attracting customers in developing countries. They seem to believe that work is continuing on this low-end iPhone.

Finally, they report that the resolution of the new iPad would be "about one-third higher" than the iPad 2. Such a small increase would be a surprise as Apple's method for increasing resolution on the iPhone was to double each dimension to offer simple scaling for apps. It's been expected that Apple might adopt the same technique in the iPad 3, though technical hurdles may exist for such high resolution displays.

Article Link: Bloomberg Confirms September iPhone 5 Launch, Hi-Res iPad 3? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/bloomberg-confirms-september-iphone-5-launch-hi-res-ipad-3/)

davidwarren
Jun 21, 2011, 11:00 PM
Telluride? Has any other iOS version had a code-name?

ccsicecoke
Jun 21, 2011, 11:01 PM
High-res iPad 3. Too good to be true.

ben173
Jun 21, 2011, 11:02 PM
So whose right this guy or BGR reports?

wordoflife
Jun 21, 2011, 11:04 PM
iPhone that's faster with a better camera? I'm all over this. (considering I have a 3GS right now).
This post said it was going to be a similar design to iPhone 4, and another post said it would have a "radical" design change. :confused:

Virgo
But the iPad 3 is for next year.. right? It better be cuz I'm getting the current one soon.

HiRez
One third higher resolution? That doesn't sound right at all, they can't be that far from GPUs that can handle 2048x1536, can they? Why fragment the line with an oddball resolution like that? They didn't do it with the iPhone, and I'd think they'd follow the same pattern with the iPad. The word is they're already writing the more practical "pixel doubled" graphics into the APIs and moving away from the holy grail of continuously-variable resolution.

Yumunum
so whose right this guy or BGR reports

Or maybe... Neither :0 I hope BGR though, lol.

DaGreat01
Jun 21, 2011, 11:07 PM
Why Are pople so doubtful of a new design? The current design obviously failed with the antenna issue.

ben173
Jun 21, 2011, 11:07 PM
But the iPad 3 is for next year.. right? It better be cuz I'm getting the current one soon.

i dont think they will make a ipad 3 this year because there sold out at every bestbuy near me

arn
Jun 21, 2011, 11:09 PM

1.0 - Little Bear
2.0 - Big Bear
2.1 - Sugar Bowl
3.0 - KirkVail
3.1 - NorthVail
4.0 - ApexVail
4.1 - BakerVail
4.2 - JasperVail
4.3 - DurangoVail
5.0 - TellurideVail

from the ipsw files.
arn

GemŁtlichkeit
Jun 21, 2011, 11:11 PM
Sorry to be so skeptical, but this will not happen.

cmaier
Jun 21, 2011, 11:12 PM
Why Are pople so doubtful of a new design? The current design obviously failed with the antenna issue.

Then why do the verizon phones not have the issue to any significant degree?

skier777
Jun 21, 2011, 11:13 PM
All the iphone rumors conflict. The last one said radically different case, this one says it will closely resemble 4...

arn
Jun 21, 2011, 11:14 PM
hmm.

Any chance they are doing 3x original iPhone rez?

320x480 = original
640x960 = Retina (2x original)
768x1024 = iPad 1 and 2
960x1440 = 3x original?

arn

paul4339
Jun 21, 2011, 11:15 PM

that's funny, after the initial hype, I don't hear about the antenna anymore. Also, sales for the ip4 seem to be pretty good.

min_t
Jun 21, 2011, 11:15 PM
This is false cause I just bought an ipad2. The iphone story is true, however. I'm waiting for it so I can upgrade my falling apart 3gs.

cmaier
Jun 21, 2011, 11:17 PM
hmm.

320x480 = original
768x1024 = iPad 1 and 2
960x1440 = 3x original?

arn

All existing iPad software would be black-boxed? What a mess. I say they'll double it or nothing at all.

ghsNick
Jun 21, 2011, 11:18 PM
iPad 2 updates weren't great and I didn't need it.
Got a 15 in MBP to hold me over and will be getting the iPad 3 when available.

kiljoy616
Jun 21, 2011, 11:18 PM
Lower end phone, again with that rumor. Not coming but keep dreaming.

Iphone 5 cranked up to iPad 2 chip, nice should make ios 5 run like butter. :)

iPad 3 2012 can't see them wasting the resources coming out with it this year. Hard enough getting an iPad 2 even now. Bought one for my kid and it took almost 4 weeks to get it.

Retina will be sweet, but on the A5 you will loose the gaming experience that makes the iPad 2 even better. To get any benefit for Retina on iPad 3 it will be another almost year before anything is made for it. You can crank up the spec but if the software is way behind then all you get is another Android. :rolleyes:

HiRez
Jun 21, 2011, 11:19 PM
hmm.

320x480 = original
768x1024 = iPad 1 and 2
960x1440 = 3x original?

arn

Interesting theory, but I don't think that's quite right either because with odd multiples you still have the problem with things not aligning on pixel boundaries, making things like thin horizontal and vertical lines look bad. Maybe 4X original iPhone rez though? That'd be 1920x1280. That's a lot more than one third more pixels though. And at that point you're not really that far from 2048x1536 anyway.

NinjaHERO
Jun 21, 2011, 11:19 PM
Come on magical bigger screen Iphone.......I can dream. ;)

kiljoy616
Jun 21, 2011, 11:20 PM

Still don't have the problem. Unless I try to choke the life out of the phone. :rolleyes:

Pink∆Floyd
Jun 21, 2011, 11:21 PM
This is great news to read

Can't wait for September!

brandnewfunk
Jun 21, 2011, 11:21 PM
the only thing keeping me from buying an iPad is its lack of higher resolution. (I can deal with the OS for the time being.) Apple... Hurry, hurry! I don't wanna have to buy a laptop :(

Belmakor
Jun 21, 2011, 11:22 PM
320x480 = original
768x1024 = iPad 1 and 2
960x1440 = 3x original?

Interesting speculation.

Although that would change the aspect ratio of the iPad and make it the same as the iPhone... from a developer's perspective that could potentially cause UI design issues for exclusively iPad apps.

shanmugam
Jun 21, 2011, 11:22 PM
hmm.

320x480 = original
768x1024 = iPad 1 and 2
960x1440 = 3x original?

arn

768x1024 would be nice but how small the text will go (assuming it is a 4" inch screen at least)

galgould
Jun 21, 2011, 11:23 PM
Figures. I've been holding out for the next update, but I want to be locked into VZN's unlimited data plan; so looks like I'm pulling the trigger on the iP4.

liavman
Jun 21, 2011, 11:23 PM
iPad 2 updates weren't great and I didn't need it.
Got a 15 in MBP to hold me over and will be getting the iPad 3 when available.

MBP sounds like work. iPad sounds like fun.. ;)

xraytech
Jun 21, 2011, 11:30 PM
Relax people!!!

New iPhone in September and Sneak preview of the iPad 3 for a March 2012 release.

theBigD23
Jun 21, 2011, 11:33 PM
I don't see how BGR could be correct. I don't see any reason for Apple to launch the iPhone 5 without iOS 5 being released at the same time. The only reason could be the MobileMe mess with the iPhone 3G. They would space out the releases to avoid a similar situation.

boss1
Jun 21, 2011, 11:35 PM
Relax people!!!

New iPhone in September and Sneak preview of the iPad 3 for a March 2012 release.

Apple will no longer sneak peak iOS hardware because it kills sales of what's in existing distribution channels. This is why they announced iOS 5 software a few weeks ago but not the hardware.

Not until S.J. can get on stage and comfortably say "And you can order one as of today"

strausd
Jun 21, 2011, 11:37 PM
Apple will no longer sneak peak iOS hardware because it kills sales of what's in existing distribution channels. This is why they announced iOS 5 software a few weeks ago but not the hardware.

Not until S.J. can get on stage and comfortably say "And you can order one as of today"

I like being able to pre order. Pre order iPhones have generally gotten in a day before store sales.

Jun 21, 2011, 11:40 PM
I like being able to pre order. Pre order iPhones have generally gotten in a day before store sales.

Apple no longer has a need to do pre-orders for the iPhone or iPad. They know whatever product they announce demand will easily outweigh supply on the day it goes on sale.

BenRoethig

Every single one of them has had a code name, they just haven't leaked.

WestonHarvey1
hmm.

320x480 = original
768x1024 = iPad 1 and 2
960x1440 = 3x original?

arn

It has to be double or nothing. That small increase in resolution isn't worth the visual fragmentation it causes with existing apps.

I just can't see them changing the form factor, either.

ezekielrage_99
Jun 21, 2011, 11:42 PM
iPhone5 yes, iPad3 no..

I can't see why Apple would update the iPad unless there's a MASSIVE fault they're trying to remove with a version redo or unless they cannot gain access to the current display panels....

cms2
Jun 21, 2011, 11:44 PM
September would be perfect, that's when I'm due for an upgrade. :)

lilo777
Jun 21, 2011, 11:45 PM
Wow! 3TB TC (50 % capacity increase), 8MP camera in iPhone, new Final Cut Pro (for amateurs), 30% increase in iPad screen (reaching the resolution of XOOM and Galaxy Tab 10.1). This year Apple is setting World on fire!

cmaier
Jun 21, 2011, 11:48 PM
Wow! 3TB TC (50 % capacity increase), 8MP camera in iPhone, new Final Cut Pro (for amateurs), 30% increase in iPad screen (reaching the resolution of XOOM and Galaxy Tab 10.1). This year Apple is setting World on fire!

Oh, silly, it's the Xoom and Galaxy Tab that are setting the world on fire... Oh, wait...

neutrino23
Jun 21, 2011, 11:48 PM
I'll join the others in saying that a one third increase in resolution just doesn't work. It adds all sorts of complexity and it is hardly worth doing. It's double or nothing.

It could be that this resolution will be limited to still images or relatively slowly changing graphics like the page turning in iBooks or some animations in Keynote. They could do a 2x2 binning for games and movies if full resolution proved too daunting at video speeds.

Still images is really where this would shine. Text would become much sharper. All sorts of technical images (drawings, TEM/STEM images, EDS mapping) and photography would benefit from a high resolution display.

strausd
Jun 21, 2011, 11:51 PM
Apple no longer has a need to do pre-orders for the iPhone or iPad. They know whatever product they announce demand will easily outweigh supply on the day it goes on sale.

I agree. But I still would like to be able to pre order because in the past they have arrived a day early. I think a majority of both the iPhone 4 and 3GS pre orders arrived a day early. Even if they didn't arrive a day early and instead arrived the day they went on sale at stores, I am sure many people would like the convenience of not having to wait in line. I stood in line for the iPad 2 for a while and although I enjoy the atmosphere, if they had the option to pre order I definitely would have done that.

boss1
Jun 21, 2011, 11:56 PM

...and they haven't announced the live TV content service through iCloud yet.

Every time Apple execs are asked about re-inventing the TV the responses are "deniability", but they are also extremely well thought out responses. That tells me they are thinking about it and taking it seriously. with iCloud in place they now have a means to provide what network content over the internet, and trump the "local content provider" as a monthly service.

Ijustfarted
Jun 21, 2011, 11:56 PM
Good god I hope an iPad 3 doesn't release this year. Don't want to sell mine so soon :(

rockametrics
Jun 22, 2011, 12:04 AM

My bro in law had issues with his VZW until he put a case on his phone. Just sayin'. Whether its true or not its all about perception.

frankk
Jun 22, 2011, 12:04 AM
Retina will be sweet, but on the A5 you will loose the gaming experience that makes the iPad 2 even better. To get any benefit for Retina on iPad 3 it will be another almost year before anything is made for it. You can crank up the spec but if the software is way behind then all you get is another Android. :rolleyes:

I agree. I'm still loving the original iPad, seems snappy enough for what I use it for (not so much games). The only time i get annoyed is by the constant refreshing during tab browsing (chess board syndrome). Snappiness and speed for better browsing would tempt me to upgrade, not retina view, esp if extra graphics compromised speed.

DaGreat01
Jun 22, 2011, 12:05 AM
that's funny, after the initial hype, I don't hear about the antenna anymore. Also, sales for the ip4 seem to be pretty good.

I love my iPhone 4, but you can't act like it isn't a problem that exists that Apple is going to fix hype or no hype. I'm not in any way trying to bash Apple and you can't lie and say that the iPhone 4's antenna was not a failed design.

2IS
Jun 22, 2011, 12:08 AM
Sorry to be so skeptical, but this will not happen.

What about this "rumor" do you find so unbelievable?

shazzam
Jun 22, 2011, 12:08 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

iPad with 2048x1536 resolution will go down as one of the best releases of technology in history. :D

Reach9
Jun 22, 2011, 12:12 AM
Oh enough with the conflicting rumors. BGR has said that there will be a radical case design, and Bloomberg says the opposite. I will actually be heavily disappointed if Apple takes over 1 year to make an iPhone with increased specs (which is still amazing, because internals are what matter) but i would prefer a bigger screen and a rounder back.

irwcll94
Jun 22, 2011, 12:13 AM
hmm.

320x480 = original
768x1024 = iPad 1 and 2
960x1440 = 3x original?

arn

no

-Sent from my MacBook Air

lilo777
Jun 22, 2011, 12:13 AM
Oh, silly, it's the Xoom and Galaxy Tab that are setting the world on fire... Oh, wait...

We are talking about different things here: technical and commercial progress. Galaxy Tab 10.1 was released in US just two days ago though so it's too early to judge it's commercial success. On the other hand, AAPL does not inspire confidence lately either ;)

Oh enough with the conflicting rumors. BGR has said that there will be a radical case design, and Bloomberg says the opposite. I will actually be heavily disappointed if Apple takes over 1 year to make an iPhone with increased specs (which is still amazing, because internals are what matter) but i would prefer a bigger screen and a rounder back.

And the real paradox here is that, since, as we all know, "the specs don't matter", new iPhone will be exact copy of the previous one.

cmaier
Jun 22, 2011, 12:22 AM
We are talking about different things here: technical and commercial progress. Galaxy Tab 10.1 was released in US just two days ago though so it's too early to judge it's commercial success. On the other hand, AAPL does not inspire confidence lately either ;)

Ever notice how all the android tablet advertisements babble on about specs (stating resolution, stating number of cores, clock speed, whatever)?

Ever notice how none of that matters if it doesn't translate into letting me do something I can't otherwise do? Ever notice how the buying public also doesn't give a crap?

It's easy to throw technical specs at the market when you can't throw awesome integration or an excellent platform at the market.

Jim Boonie
Jun 22, 2011, 12:28 AM
Well, I bought a MBA and iPad 2 last week. The Air has already been returned, and now the iPad 2 goes back tomorrow. There's way too much activity in Appleton right now. The 1990's screen res for the iPad 2 was my one complaint. Upping the res would be a huge upgrade in my book.

Waiting is the hardest part. Arghhhh.....

bwphoto
Jun 22, 2011, 12:30 AM
How about 64GB storage and the bigger screen too? That would make me want to preorder. Otherwise, my 3GS is still doing more than I ever imagined a cell phone could do.

HMFIC03
Jun 22, 2011, 12:32 AM
No kidding, the camera and resolution is updated every year.

Mr. Mustard
Jun 22, 2011, 12:34 AM
1.0 - Little Bear
2.0 - Big Bear
2.1 - Sugar Bowl
3.0 - KirkVail
3.1 - NorthVail
4.0 - ApexVail
4.1 - BakerVail
4.2 - JasperVail
4.3 - DurangoVail
5.0 - TellurideVail

from the ipsw files.
arn

When do we up in Breckenridge get a code name? Yeah, 9,600ft. Represent baby!!!

xnu
Jun 22, 2011, 12:39 AM
I am just guessing, but a cheaper iPhone and perhaps a 7" iPad with hi-res screen or iPod Touch makes sense. I think for holiday season we could see something to compete with lower tier android and something to compete with kindles. I still don;t believe they will release a new iPad in the fall unless its different in form then the iPad2, its just too soon. A large iPod touch or iPad 2.5?

lilo777
Jun 22, 2011, 12:42 AM
Ever notice how all the android tablet advertisements babble on about specs (stating resolution, stating number of cores, clock speed, whatever)?

Ever notice how none of that matters if it doesn't translate into letting me do something I can't otherwise do? Ever notice how the buying public also doesn't give a crap?

It's easy to throw technical specs at the market when you can't throw awesome integration or an excellent platform at the market.

As a fellow engineer, I woul expect higher appreciation for specs from you :) Can you imagine Apple engineers designing, say, iPhone without specs? I can't. I'd say that it's all about specs. It's true that specs and advertising (i.e. technical and consumer/PR languages) make for an interesting mix. Sometimes, companies do try to emphasize a single spec to "prove" that their product is better. Computer companies are not alone there. One just need to look at car and truck commercials. Still, it does not mean that specs do not matter. At all. And yes, Apple being in charge of most/many components in the product design this helps creating more balanced products. On the other hand, seemingly Apple is trying to abuse this mantra by excessively cutting the costs (an specs) to the extent where it hurts the products. 256MB RAM in
iPad 1 is a good example. Not having USB 3.0, BluRay support are two other well known examples.

roflc0pter
Jun 22, 2011, 12:43 AM
Bloomberg > BGR

Weren't they first to report that the new iPhone would be delayed until fall earlier in the year? I'm betting the new iPhone will be practically the same with slightly upgraded internal parts.

8CoreWhore
Jun 22, 2011, 12:45 AM
"Confirms"???? :cool:

captain kaos
Jun 22, 2011, 12:47 AM
I think i may have spotted my replacement BB 9700 :D

As long as the battery life is usable!

satkin2
Jun 22, 2011, 12:49 AM
"They seem to believe that work is continuing on this low-end iPhone"

Low-end and iPhone is an oxymoron. If its an iPhone it will be high end, whether it is smaller or cheaper, doesn't make the iPhone "Low-End"

cmaier
Jun 22, 2011, 12:51 AM
As a fellow engineer, I woul expect higher appreciation for specs from you :)

On the contrary - it's my engineering experience that tells me specs are a horrible way to compare products. A chip running at 2 GHz doesn't necessarily perform faster than one running at half the clock speed. Doubling the L1 cache size sounds good on paper, but can actually slow performance down. And we know how to make a mobile chip with 64 cores, but consumers wouldn't want to buy products that used it.

Engineering is all about trading off possibilities to meet constraints imposed by cost, marketing, customer demands, etc.

In the case of Apple's products, leaving off something important to a few percent of the potential audience in order to make things just a little better (cheaper, more reliable, less hot, etc.) for 97% of the potential audience makes a lot of sense.

captain kaos
Jun 22, 2011, 12:52 AM
Actually, i can't decide which "rumor" i'd like to be right, a radical redesign or a IP4 looking uggrade to internals and ios5.....i left the iphone world with the 3G, and i quite like the way the 4 looks.

na1577
Jun 22, 2011, 01:03 AM
1.0 - Little Bear
2.0 - Big Bear
2.1 - Sugar Bowl
3.0 - KirkVail
3.1 - NorthVail
4.0 - ApexVail
4.1 - BakerVail
4.2 - JasperVail
4.3 - DurangoVail
5.0 - TellurideVail

from the ipsw files.
arn

Wow! I never knew that. :eek: I wonder what the deal is with the Vail suffix.

i0Nic
Jun 22, 2011, 01:15 AM
I'm in two minds about this.

On one hand, the iPhone 4 has been a huge success selling 18 million units worldwide. It is a design that is universally loved despite some early issues. Also it was a major redesign from the iPhone 3G which they had kept for 2 years, iPhone 4 is only a year old so it may be too soon for a change.

On the other hand, Antennagate was a major PR issue for Apple which I am sure they'd be happy to move away from repeating. Cracked glass is a common occurance, with Apple replacing many cracked backs and fronts, which is something they'd be looking to curb.

I'm thinking they will change the design to something new - I'm hoping more akin to the iPad 2 with a curved glass front like the Nexus S.

CosmoPilot
Jun 22, 2011, 01:16 AM
I have a hard time believing the next iPhone will use the A5 chip. This has been out for a long time (by computer standards). I'm guessing we will see an even faster chip used in the iPhone5 (also to be utilized in the iPad3).

This is especially true if the iPhone has another lengthy delay between the 5 & 6 (going to Fall of 2012).

If it's just an A5 upgrade with a better camera, Apple could have released this on the normal June/July cycle. Since they have waited, I suspect Apple has more in store for us.

Just my $.02

irwcll94
Jun 22, 2011, 01:16 AM

They are all named after ski slopes... Vail is a popular ski resort in the US and I assume the names before them are slopes or something related.

gorskiegangsta
Jun 22, 2011, 01:18 AM
The "about one-third higher" resolution for the next gen iPad makes sense to me. I suspect it'll be 1280x960 (4:3 aspect ratio) so that Apple can push the "HD Display" campaign forward.

RedRallyeZ
Jun 22, 2011, 01:21 AM
September would be perfect, that's when I'm due for an upgrade. :)

same here. well, at least a line on my family plan is.

indiekiduk
Jun 22, 2011, 01:25 AM
shame on bloomberg for setting up a massive manipulated stock fall when the ipad 3 doesnt launch same day as the iphone 5.

rockametrics
Jun 22, 2011, 01:26 AM
I have a hard time believing the next iPhone will use the A5 chip. This has been out for a long time (by computer standards). I'm guessing we will see an even faster chip used in the iPhone5 (also to be utilized in the iPad3).

This is especially true if the iPhone has another lengthy delay between the 5 & 6 (going to Fall of 2012).

If it's just an A5 upgrade with a better camera, Apple could have released this on the normal June/July cycle. Since they have waited, I suspect Apple has more in store for us.

Just my $.02

I have to whole heartedly agree. If such a minor release they could have released it earlier than september. They probably could have had iOS 5 out in June as well if they really wanted too. There has to be another reason for this.
Please no tear drop iPhone!!!

Mr. Gates
Jun 22, 2011, 01:26 AM
High Res....but not "Retina"

captain kaos
Jun 22, 2011, 01:37 AM
I'm in two minds about this.

On one hand, the iPhone 4 has been a huge success selling 18 million units worldwide. It is a design that is universally loved despite some early issues. Also it was a major redesign from the iPhone 3G which they had kept for 2 years, iPhone 4 is only a year old so it may be too soon for a change.

On the other hand, Antennagate was a major PR issue for Apple which I am sure they'd be happy to move away from repeating. Cracked glass is a common occurance, with Apple replacing many cracked backs and fronts, which is something they'd be looking to curb.

I'm thinking they will change the design to something new - I'm hoping more akin to the iPad 2 with a curved glass front like the Nexus S.

Im kind of thinking the 1st one. If they redesign then the long delay for the white iphone 4 would have been in vain. Unless apple are happy to walk away from it (white iphone).

Michael Scrip
Jun 22, 2011, 02:02 AM
I'm kind of thinking the 1st one. If they redesign then the long delay for the white iphone 4 would have been in vain. Unless apple are happy to walk away from it (white iphone).

If they keep the current iPhone 4 around for another year and make it the $99 phone... then all that time wasn't wasted.

Apple got 2 years worth of production out of the 3GS... and 3 years out of that particular plastic case (starting with the 3G)

Or... maybe Apple really did get freaked out by antennagate... and they wanna discard everything about that design.

I guess we'll find out in September(?)

Whatever happens... I'm on Verizon and I want to know something. I'd buy a Verizon iPhone 4 tomorrow but I wanna see how different the next iPhone is gonna be.

captain kaos
Jun 22, 2011, 02:13 AM
If they keep the current iPhone 4 around for another year and make it the $99 phone... then all that time wasn't wasted.

Apple got 2 years worth of production out of the 3GS... and 3 years out of that particular plastic case (starting with the 3G)

Or... maybe Apple really did get freaked out by antennagate... and they wanna discard everything about that design.

I guess we'll find out in September(?)

Whatever happens... I'm on Verizon and I want to know something. I'd buy a Verizon iPhone 4 tomorrow but I wanna see how different the next iPhone is gonna be.

Good point re using this design as a cheaper iphone. Im the same, im looking to get back into the fold with an iphone but im waiting to see what the next one is.

Paulshaqz
Jun 22, 2011, 02:14 AM
Sounds Amazing So Far Let's Also Hope For Edge To Edge Screen!

cvaldes
Jun 22, 2011, 02:17 AM
There's probably a Retina Display iPad in some lab in Cupertino right now. A production quality version might cost $2000. There's probably an LTE iPhone in a nearby lab with a batttery life of three hours.

Let's face it: Apple prototypes far more designs than what reaches the market.

My guess is that 95-98% of Apple rumors about unannounced product end up being false.

This hi-res iPad 3 is far away.

It is likely that the fifth-generation iPhone will look similar to the iPhone 4 and largely comprise of incremental internal upgrades (CPU, GPU, storage space, cellular network speeds, improved camera, etc.). To expect an entirely new handset design is ludicrous.

Lunarstone
Jun 22, 2011, 02:35 AM
I'm gonna be able to sign up for my first iPhone plan very soon. I'm at a lost to decide to hold off for a while and wait for the iPhone 5 or just go ahead with the iPhone 4. My concern is that if I do get the iPhone 4, it will become obsolete when the iPhone 5 is released. Also, the iPhone 4 is already a year old. It would be strange for Apple to not release an iPhone 5 in July as per the yearly refresh norm. Now, if Apple instead, releases the iPhone 5 in September as per recent incoming rumors, it would be awkward for me since if I sign up for my 20-month contract now and I would have to miss out on the iPhone 5. :confused:

ThunderSkunk
Jun 22, 2011, 02:58 AM

Perhaps they're road rides someone's done. Durango-Vail would absolutely kill.

itsokay
Jun 22, 2011, 03:21 AM
apple,

you know you have a great product.

just deliver on crafting a great still/video camera (you have alluded to this before. it will represent the product); try to make it a little bit inexpensive; make it much sturdier and mute the whiners by removing the 'target' lines of the antenna design.

think about products for the game changers of the future. this will be your legacy, your children. if something is not part of your skillset, apple, go ask the 'pro' or the kids. swallow your pride and ask. it will lead to better products and better customer experience. it is not about being the best; we are all in this together. :)

johnnyjibbs
Jun 22, 2011, 03:27 AM
I doubt something like Bloomberg is going to know/disclose this kind of information. Sounds like a classic case of circular rumours.

Of course iPad 3 will be retina - it's got to be. But it wouldn't make sense to release it (at much greater cost to Apple) until some time next year. The iPad 2 is selling so well and none of the competition is even close.

If cost of the display hadn't been an issue then iPad 2 would have had a retina display, just as iPad 1 would have had a camera. But they will be keen to keep the same aggressive price point.

colmaclean
Jun 22, 2011, 03:31 AM

Hopefully wasn't come up with by a German - would be pronounced Fail. :)

Snookerman
Jun 22, 2011, 03:38 AM
I wonder if Jobs tells different dates and different specs to different groups of people on campus so he'll know who ratted.

Bryan839
Jun 22, 2011, 03:45 AM
If all they do is bump up the internal specs, they can't call it iPhone 5.

I love my iPhone 4, almost a year old now, and would hate for the new iPhone to look identical, I actually want it to look different!

Not that the iPhone is ugly! - Its easily the best build quality I have ever had on a mobile, I just want something idifferent!

rovex
Jun 22, 2011, 03:50 AM
A third higher? Puck that Retina or bust.

Michael Scrip
Jun 22, 2011, 04:41 AM
If all they do is bump up the internal specs, they can't call it iPhone 5.

I love my iPhone 4, almost a year old now, and would hate for the new iPhone to look identical, I actually want it to look different!

Not that the iPhone is ugly! - Its easily the best build quality I have ever had on a mobile, I just want something idifferent!

The 3G and 3GS were visually identical... so Apple certainly isn't afraid to re-use a design. But... I would be shocked if it's called anything but the iPhone 5... here's my take:

iPhone 5 and iOS 5... this changes everything... for the 5th time.

I can almost hear the TV commercials now. 5 is such a strong number... maybe use Beethoven's 5th in the commercial? :)

I think Apple will start focusing on its software this time around... and iOS 5 is powerful. The name iPhone 4S will drag it down.

Apple will show people that an A5-equipped dual-core iPhone running iOS 5 is worthy of the name iPhone 5... even if it looks like an iPhone 4.

The 3G to 3GS transition was fine in 2009. But a 4 to 4S won't cut it today... especially with all the other phones on the market...

bushido
Jun 22, 2011, 04:54 AM
"confirms" ... okay

cactus33
Jun 22, 2011, 05:11 AM
A low end (and presumably low priced) iPhone ! <3 couldn't be a better thing for me!

Dr McKay
Jun 22, 2011, 05:20 AM
Im pretty darn happy with my iPhone 4, the biggest thing that would tempt me is a bigger screen :D

fkhan3
Jun 22, 2011, 05:43 AM
Sounds Amazing So Far Let's Also Hope For Edge To Edge Screen!

Dont care about edge to edge screen, I would like a bigger screen though. Maybe a different form factor.

Slappi
Jun 22, 2011, 06:16 AM
Isn't this the same bloomberg that in late Feburary said their "sources" confirmed that the iPad 2 had production delays and was being pushed back from an April to a June release?

Why yes, yes they were.

All in the name of stock price manipulation on the heels of a $10 up move in the price of AAPL stock.

These guys are so obvious.

Digitalclips
Jun 22, 2011, 06:18 AM
As a fellow engineer, I woul expect higher appreciation for specs from you :) Can you imagine Apple engineers designing, say, iPhone without specs? I can't. I'd say that it's all about specs. It's true that specs and advertising (i.e. technical and consumer/PR languages) make for an interesting mix. Sometimes, companies do try to emphasize a single spec to "prove" that their product is better. Computer companies are not alone there. One just need to look at car and truck commercials. Still, it does not mean that specs do not matter. At all. And yes, Apple being in charge of most/many components in the product design this helps creating more balanced products. On the other hand, seemingly Apple is trying to abuse this mantra by excessively cutting the costs (an specs) to the extent where it hurts the products. 256MB RAM in
iPad 1 is a good example. Not having USB 3.0, BluRay support are two other well known examples.

Your total lack of any understanding of Apple products and their raison d'Ítre leads me to assume you are perhaps a train engineer?

ranReloaded
Jun 22, 2011, 06:21 AM

I don't follow you. The iPad 2 has 25% more pixels than a retina iPhone. With the same A5, the iPhone 5 should still run smoother than the Pad 2.

How are the bets on RAM? iPhone 5 / iPad 3 with 1GB, anyone?

GroundLoop
Jun 22, 2011, 06:22 AM
A low end (and presumably low priced) iPhone ! <3 couldn't be a better thing for me!

And then, when you realize that you are still paying roughly $2000 for the service, $100 off the purchase price doesn't really mean all that much.

GL

NightFox
Jun 22, 2011, 06:22 AM
1.0 - Little Bear
2.0 - Big Bear
2.1 - Sugar Bowl
3.0 - KirkVail
3.1 - NorthVail
4.0 - ApexVail
4.1 - BakerVail
4.2 - JasperVail
4.3 - DurangoVail
5.0 - TellurideVail

from the ipsw files.
arn

Hmmm, ski resorts as codenames - that seems to ring a bell ;)

daveydog
Jun 22, 2011, 06:25 AM
Still don't have the problem. Unless I try to choke the life out of the phone. :rolleyes:

that whole thing was media driven... if you hold the htc thunderbolt, the signal decreases... i suspect it happens with a lot, if not all phones (i just happened to test it out with the TB)... and the iphone's reception is just fine... wifes iphone gets way better reception than my droid actually.

ranReloaded
Jun 22, 2011, 06:28 AM
I have to whole heartedly agree. If such a minor release they could have released it earlier than september. They probably could have had iOS 5 out in June as well if they really wanted too. There has to be another reason for this.

...Or maybe it's just that the iPhone 4 is doing fine, so they extended its life time to save on R&D (in the long run): Release one iPhone in 2010 (June), another at the end of 2011(September), none during 2012, one in 2013(February?)...

Disclaimer: This doesn't assume that the September iPhone 5 will have the exact same specs as if it were released in June. I expect they'll be better.

daveydog
Jun 22, 2011, 06:28 AM

I hope you are right... but there are some folks who think the reason they waited was part of a deal with verizon, to give the iphone4 more shelf life... and then there's the whole white version too...

I don't necessarily agree with that but that's what some people argue is the case...

gadget123
Jun 22, 2011, 06:30 AM

No it never.

Lots of phones are similar the iPhone size wise.

Plus I've never heard anybody mention the Antena after it's launch. I'm sure the White IPhone had a thicker case?

So really the new Iphone should look the same other than an LED flash as rumoured?

Lesser Evets
Jun 22, 2011, 06:34 AM
I had contemplated the September iPad revision as a possible marketing move. It would be a sage one, if possible. The reason would be simple and necessary to contain and top the burgeoning tablet market: offer the most amazing product while others release their versions, now seemingly clunky or tarnished by Apple's offering.

If an iPad3 emerges in September, it will most likely be an iPad2 with "retina display" and little else. Such a revision would be extremely easy for them to make mid-stream, from manufacturing perspective.

Personally, I doubt it will happen, but it could transpire.

heywhynot
Jun 22, 2011, 06:43 AM
Currently have Verizon. I have a discount on an iPhone4 that makes the price very attractive ($150 off the 2 yr. contract price). In addition I can currently get a 20 % off the unlimited data plan. Do I buy now and lock in that unlimited data plan price or do I wait until September to get an iPhone 5 possibly without the additional discount and a tiered data plan that likely will be without the discount as well? In other words, will the 5 really be that much of an advance in technology to justify the cost?

Hattig
Jun 22, 2011, 06:45 AM
Samsung have made a 2560x1920 10" screen. That's 2.5x the current iPad display, yet would also provide a better 'Retina' experience than 2048x1536 given the screen size.

Assuming that quantities in the millions are not possible this year because it is leading edge technology then we could be looking at the iPad 4 for an introduction.

So going with 1.25x in the iPad 3 - i.e., 1280x960 - would allow for a far simpler 2x scaling the year after. Regardless there would be some pain for developers to add support for the new resolution, but apps that needed the dual-core A5 would only need to support the 1.25x resolution, and presumably the 2.5x resolution iPad would come with an A6 processor with quad-core and even higher performance graphics to cope with the larger display.

This also supports a release later this year rather than on the annual cycle, hence keeping with the A5 (potentially running a little faster), maybe a bump in the RAM or flash capacity.

Atamagaii
Jun 22, 2011, 06:52 AM
Argh! Upping the megapixel count of the camera will not lead to better pictures unless you have great light or the sensor manufacturer has made some serious advances in ISO performance. iPhone has enough of a noise problem without aggravating it even further. Check out this Gizmodo post (http://gizmodo.com/5155942/giz-explains-why-more-megapixels-isnt-always-more-better) for the lowdown.

Apple appears to take the same route as Canon - sucking in clueless consumers with high pixel counts, without any regard for noise. Call me biased, but Apple should be taking the Nikon approach of conservative pixel counts but excellent noise performance, even if it involves explaining it to customers.

Otherwise, I'm liking the sound of these rumours!

KnightWRX
Jun 22, 2011, 06:56 AM
Samsung have made a 2560x1920 10" screen. That's 2.5x the current iPad display, yet would also provide a better 'Retina' experience than 2048x1536 given the screen size.

Depends on the viewing distance. Sometimes, more is just a useless waste of money, especially in Apple's case, where the extra pixels don't result in added screen real-estate, only sharper images.

"Retina" just means that your eye can't discern the individual pixels at normal viewing distance. It's not a technical term at all.

Argh! Upping the megapixel count of the camera will not lead to better pictures unless you have great light or the sensor manufacturer has made some serious advances in ISO performance. iPhone has enough of a noise problem without aggravating it even further. Check out this Gizmodo post (http://gizmodo.com/5155942/giz-explains-why-more-megapixels-isnt-always-more-better) for the lowdown.

Apple appears to take the same route as Canon - sucking in clueless consumers with high pixel counts, without any regard for noise. Call me biased, but Apple should be taking the Nikon approach of conservative pixel counts but excellent noise performance, even if it involves explaining it to customers.

Check out the Xperia Arc camera reviews against that of the iPhone 4. Apple is rumored to be going with Sony's camera tech, the same one used in the Xperia Arc for the next iPhone. It is definately a cut above and provides much better quality.

Skika
Jun 22, 2011, 06:57 AM

Apple is moderate with the megapixels craming, have you seen the competitors??

WLS
Jun 22, 2011, 07:04 AM
I'm thinking Apple is working on TWO phones, hence the conflicting rumors. The second lower spec phone that is a complete redesign is going to be unlocked and contract free it will also replace the iPod Touch for those who want a contract-less device that also has cellular data and GPS.

KnightWRX
Jun 22, 2011, 07:07 AM
I'm thinking Apple is working on TWO phones, hence the conflicting rumors. The second lower spec phone that is a complete redesign is going to be unlocked and contract free it will also replace the iPod Touch for those who want a contract-less device that also has cellular data and GPS.

Hum... the iPhone is already sold unlocked and contract-less for those that want a device that also has cellular data and GPS. :confused: Why would they need a whole new device for that ?

applesith
Jun 22, 2011, 07:07 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Code name for an OS we already have the name of and is coming in a few months? Shocking.

Apple is rolling out iPhone features like hi-res screen to iPad? Shocking.

New iPhone will be faster AND run iOS 5? Shocking.

Thanks Bloomberg, for getting that news to me under my rock!

BornAgainMac
Jun 22, 2011, 07:09 AM
The days are over for an Apple Fanboy to get a brand new iPad or iPhone on day 1. They always run out of product.

ChrisTX
Jun 22, 2011, 07:10 AM
I love my iPhone 4, but you can't act like it isn't a problem that exists that Apple is going to fix hype or no hype. I'm not in any way trying to bash Apple and you can't lie and say that the iPhone 4's antenna was not a failed design.

I purchased a launch day iPhone 4 and didnt use a bumper for weeks hoping for a better way tonprotect mynphone against bumps, and scratches. Point is I never had ANY reception issues. The majority of people having reception issues are most likely not iPhone 4 owners. The man reason why no one talks about it anymore(and people would be talking if the issue was truly prevalant) is that it just doesn't exist. No one want's a phone that won't make calls plain and simple. With that being said, I'm hoping for a major redesign. I love the iPhone 4's design but in time for the iPhone 6 next year, this design will be over 2 years old.

WLS
Jun 22, 2011, 07:16 AM
Hum... the iPhone is already sold unlocked and contract-less for those that want a device that also has cellular data and GPS. :confused: Why would they need a whole new device for that ?
Because it costs too much. I would have to expect the iPod Touch is going away to be replaced by the low cost iPhone which you can buy contract free. That way you get GPS and the ability to sign up for cellular data if you want it. Apple wins with this strategy.
That's my prediction.

JCL
Jun 22, 2011, 07:29 AM
So many people would be pissed if they release a high res iPad or an iPad "Pro" so soon. Also as a web designer I cringe every time Apple ups resolution.

Anyway I am looking forward to a new iPhone, hopefully one that doesn't require a case (impossible I know), its a shame to cover up amazing design with a case.

p.s. A cheap iPhone is never going to happen, it would kill the market for old versions of the iPhone which would leave Apple with a huge stock of old phones. Apple doesn't compete in the bargain market for one simple reason, they don't need to.

HelveticaNeue
Jun 22, 2011, 07:30 AM
I believe this article from Bloomberg much more than BGR's sensationalist viewer grabbing headlines from yesterday. I don't think the iPhone 5 will look any different than the 4, which is such a beautiful design.

As for the iPad 3 ... 1/3 res bump seems a bit strange, but I'm not paying attention to any iPad 3 rumours until after January.

KnightWRX
Jun 22, 2011, 07:31 AM
Because it costs too much.

That's what unlocked phones cost unfortunately. To make it cheaper, Apple would have to drop the phone part, which kind of makes no sense for an iPhone.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 22, 2011, 07:31 AM

Every time Apple execs are asked about re-inventing the TV the responses are "deniability", but they are also extremely well thought out responses. That tells me they are thinking about it and taking it seriously. with iCloud in place they now have a means to provide what network content over the internet, and trump the "local content provider" as a monthly service.

That's all great, but then through whose pipes does the cable-replacement content flow from Apple iCloud to you?

Until Apple can bypass the broadband gatekeepers, the gatekeepers will NOT allow their lucrative video subscription business model to be undermined. I can't understand why people keep thinking otherwise.

Blorzoga
Jun 22, 2011, 07:40 AM

Who are you asking? No one knows when it's coming out. It's all speculation.

ChrisTX
Jun 22, 2011, 07:44 AM
I would have to expect the iPod Touch is going away to be replaced by the low cost iPhone which you can buy contract free.
As long as there are kids out there that wan't an iPhone but have parent's that won't sign a cellular contract for them the iPod touch will continue on!

So many people would be pissed if they release a high res iPad or an iPad "Pro" so soon. Also as a web designer I cringe every time Apple ups resolution.

Anyway I am looking forward to a new iPhone, hopefully one that doesn't require a case (impossible I know), its a shame to cover up amazing design with a case.

I'd be a little bummed if an iPad 3 was released so soon, because it's getting more expensive by the year to keep up with the rapid progression in technology.

Second, as long as people want to protect their iPhones from bumps, and scrapes, cases will be necessary.

Blorzoga
Jun 22, 2011, 07:45 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Code name for an OS we already have the name of and is coming in a few months? Shocking.

Apple is rolling out iPhone features like hi-res screen to iPad? Shocking.

New iPhone will be faster AND run iOS 5? Shocking.

Thanks Bloomberg, for getting that news to me under my rock!

Yeah, really. Bloomberg really has done some extensive research for this bullshiit story.

Tiger8
Jun 22, 2011, 07:46 AM

CMDA has a different antenna system altogether. In fact, back in the early 2000's GSM 'lost' its ugly extendable antenna years before CMDA manufacturers could do so.

beebler
Jun 22, 2011, 07:50 AM
Like I've said before, my friend at Apple R&D also said they're gunning for a new iPhone and new iPad release side by side in September.

Hard to believe but that's what was being said at Apple.

rovex
Jun 22, 2011, 07:55 AM
Surely he would tell you something that could potentially get him the sack.

ghsNick
Jun 22, 2011, 07:56 AM
This update has taken a while. I still believe we'll see a little more than updated specs. Either way I have the original Droid and cannot wait to upgrade to whatever iPhone it is lol.

dethmaShine
Jun 22, 2011, 07:58 AM
Apple is NOT going to make an iPhone 5.

Get an android or windows phone 7 already.

:rolleyes:

JohnDoe98
Jun 22, 2011, 07:58 AM

I don't get it, one would think people would be happy when resolutions go up... I suspect it is because it would involve more work to upscale your designs though. So, and this is a naive question, why not just design things at extremely high resolutions now so that you are already ready for the future? And if the resolutions are lower, isn't it pretty easy to downscale, as opposed to upscaling?

wtmk81
Jun 22, 2011, 08:00 AM
I think i may have spotted my replacement BB 9700 :D

As long as the battery life is usable!

Ditto. Time for something new.

derek1984
Jun 22, 2011, 08:01 AM
All I ask for me to get an iPad is 2 things:

1.) Retina Display

2.) The Data network on the iPad to support AT&T AND Verizon together instead of having to choose.

ghsNick
Jun 22, 2011, 08:01 AM
I don't get it, one would think people would be happy when resolutions go up... I suspect it is because it would involve more work to upscale your designs though. So, and this is a naive question, why not just design things at extremely high resolutions now so that you are already ready for the future? And if the resolutions are lower, isn't it pretty easy to downscale, as opposed to upscaling?

sorry for the randomness, but nice name. lol.

WLS
Jun 22, 2011, 08:02 AM
That's what unlocked phones cost unfortunately. To make it cheaper, Apple would have to drop the phone part, which kind of makes no sense for an iPhone.

Or they would have to redesign it to lower costs- smaller battery, A4 processor, cost savings on the screen like the Touch now has, etc. They eliminate the separate Touch manufacturing costs .
It could also work just fine as a Skype phone with WIFI. If don't want to use it as a phone you just don't get a contract with a Cellular service.

CaryMacGuy
Jun 22, 2011, 08:15 AM
I want one with a 4.3" screen...I really want to have an excuse to move back to iOS from Android. I cannot do it with a 3.5" screen...just not going to happen.

KnightWRX
Jun 22, 2011, 08:21 AM
Or they would have to redesign it to lower costs- smaller battery, A4 processor, cost savings on the screen like the Touch now has, etc. They eliminate the separate Touch manufacturing costs .

You suggesting they sell the 3GS still ? Because again : Unlocked phones aren't cheap, even if they sacrifice a lot of features.

It could also work just fine as a Skype phone with WIFI. If don't want to use it as a phone you just don't get a contract with a Cellular service.

Sounds like the iPod Touch, which works fine with Skype phone over Wifi.

All in all, the consumer is better served by the current model. iPhone if you want cellular (and you get a choice here, latest and greatest or last year's model), iPod Touch if you don't, both purchasable without contracts and unlocked.

deputy_doofy
Jun 22, 2011, 08:24 AM
Why Are people so doubtful of a new design? The current design obviously failed with the antenna issue.

"Antenna issue" was completely blown out of proportion. Not saying there wasn't some signal degradation, but nobody I know could make it happen, and we all used the proper death grip.

And, as was proven, even though some people don't want to admit it, other phones suffered similar problems in signal degradation from certain grips.

I guess every phone needs a new design.

icepuck72
Jun 22, 2011, 08:30 AM
Apple is going to have its hands full with Android....some good phones running Android will be coming out in Summer and Fall.

BackInAction
Jun 22, 2011, 08:33 AM
And then, when you realize that you are still paying roughly $2000 for the service, $100 off the purchase price doesn't really mean all that much.Correct. A low-end iPhone would only make sense with a low-end, and inexpensive, service provider (aka pre-paid).

I would kill to get a 8GB iPhone 3GS+ (iPhone 4 specs with iPhone 3 display?) for $300-$400 on a Virgin Mobile $25/month plan (300 min/unlimited txt/unlimited 3G data) plan. I'd buy two for my kids and one for my wife the day they were made available.

Sackvillenb
Jun 22, 2011, 08:35 AM
One-third higher just doesn't make sense. I would be very very surprised if that happened. I think there is more evidence and logic supporting resolution doubling.

But either way, I'm sure that a high resolution ipad is on the way. That's one of my biggest annoyances with the ipad... I can see the pixels very clearly, especially with text. I still love my ipad... but after using a retina display on an iphone... it really does raise the bar!

ChrisTX
Jun 22, 2011, 08:38 AM
Apple is going to have its hands full with Android....some good phones running Android will be coming out in Summer and Fall.

It's already been said that Androids market share has fallen ever so slightly, while iOS has risen from 19% to 29%. Apple will be just fine.

SmokyD
Jun 22, 2011, 08:40 AM
1366x768 is 33% higher in resolution than 1024x768. Maybe Apple is going to 16:9 on the iPad? This does seem a bit unlikely, but it's more likely than going to 2048x1536, which I think would be too much of a drain on battery life even with a better battery.

Lenovo uses a 12.5" 1366x768 IPS screen, but that seems too big. I'm not aware of an IPS screen at this resolution that is smaller. The 11" MB Air screen would be suitable but its a TN panel.

None of these options seems all that likely, but I'd bet on 1366x768 before 2048x1536.

Michael Scrip
Jun 22, 2011, 08:46 AM

There are already plenty of GREAT Android phones on the market...

Yet Apple still sold 18 million iPhones last quarter... and 16.2 million iPhones the quarter before that. Any other manufacturer would KILL for those numbers...

I'm really starting to believe that Android phones are competing with each other... and Apple will keep doing its own thing regardless of the rest of the market.

korndawg
Jun 22, 2011, 08:47 AM
I'm gonna be shocked if this is true. It'll be a big 'fail' on Apple's part if they don't offer a bigger screen, at the very least. They've always blown us away with their designs, and for them to only upgrade a camera and CPU after over a year, seems like a huge disappointment.

toddybody
Jun 22, 2011, 08:48 AM
Please. If Apple was only plannng on an incremental res bump, it would have made it into the iPad 2. Sorry Bloomberg

iScott428
Jun 22, 2011, 08:49 AM
So its pretty clear no one knows for sure what the case will look like yet, but the specs are looking good. I defiantly see an Apple TV set more likely than a highres iPad 3 in 2011.

jonnysods
Jun 22, 2011, 08:49 AM
1 iPad 3 please!

alent1234
Jun 22, 2011, 08:50 AM
Correct. A low-end iPhone would only make sense with a low-end, and inexpensive, service provider (aka pre-paid).

I would kill to get a 8GB iPhone 3GS+ (iPhone 4 specs with iPhone 3 display?) for $300-$400 on a Virgin Mobile $25/month plan (300 min/unlimited txt/unlimited 3G data) plan. I'd buy two for my kids and one for my wife the day they were made available.

most iphones are on a family plan with other dumb phones. going android cost me $20 for a phone and i still have the extra $25 data plan. paying $300 for an iphone didn't seem very appealing when the ipad 2 was planned for this year

now if i can get a 4.3" iphone with year old hardware for $50 or so i'll go back in an instant

Rantipole
Jun 22, 2011, 08:52 AM

Totally agree. Spend the R&D to improve the camera elsewhere. 5 megapixels is more than enough for the casual photographer (which, by definition, is anyone using a phone for their pictures). Anything more is a waste.

Check out the Xperia Arc camera reviews against that of the iPhone 4. Apple is rumored to be going with Sony's camera tech, the same one used in the Xperia Arc for the next iPhone. It is definately a cut above and provides much better quality.
There is still no need to go above 5 megapixels.

kirk26
Jun 22, 2011, 08:57 AM

The hardware for high-end Android phones is fantastic, but I am put off by the Android OS. I will never use it.

Lesser Evets
Jun 22, 2011, 08:57 AM
Or they would have to redesign it to lower costs- smaller battery, A4 processor, cost savings on the screen like the Touch now has, etc.

There is a definite market for such a phone, and they should do it. Problem is that it has to be low enough in quality that it doesn't cannibalize the premier iPhone market.

Making lower res and lower processor is a start.
Eliminate cameras.

A basic cell phone that can still run apps (revenue raker) and movies/music (revenue), but isn't expensive or thrilling--something for kids and non-addict cell phoners. It'd be something like the first iPhone, essentially.

It would have a market, but I somehow doubt it would be a smart move. As the iPhone goes above the 5g, such a product might be "nano" enough to separate out from the golden product leading the market. Apple did such a move with the shuffle and nano as the iPod advanced onward, and it seems to have worked for the best.

iScott428
Jun 22, 2011, 09:00 AM
There are already plenty of GREAT Android phones on the market...

Yet Apple still sold 18 million iPhones last quarter... and 16.2 million iPhones the quarter before that. Any other manufacturer would KILL for those numbers...

I'm really starting to believe that Android phones are competing with each other... and Apple will keep doing its own thing regardless of the rest of the market.

Not to mention the second highest selling phone in the US was the iPhone 3Gs...a two year old Apple device....

akilone
Jun 22, 2011, 09:01 AM
i dont know why you want to sell your ipad 2 now and worry about that? ipad 2 practically just came out, it's just 3 months old . he still have big market role, and I dont expect ipad 3 so soon, maybe mart 2012, not before.

Thunderhawks
Jun 22, 2011, 09:04 AM
Apple is NOT going to make an iPhone 5.

Get an android or windows phone 7 already.

:rolleyes:

Let me say it this way: While I am not BGR, MacAddict, Engadet etc.etc.

I know that there will be a new iphone coming out and an ipad3.

Geez what a rumor!

Michael Scrip
Jun 22, 2011, 09:06 AM
There is a definite market for such a phone, and they should do it. Problem is that it has to be low enough in quality that it doesn't cannibalize the premier iPhone market.

Making lower res and lower processor is a start.
Eliminate cameras.

A basic cell phone that can still run apps (revenue raker) and movies/music (revenue), but isn't expensive or thrilling--something for kids and non-addict cell phoners. It'd be something like the first iPhone, essentially.

It would have a market, but I somehow doubt it would be a smart move. As the iPhone goes above the 5g, such a product might be "nano" enough to separate out from the golden product leading the market. Apple did such a move with the shuffle and nano as the iPod advanced onward, and it seems to have worked for the best.

The actually already have that.... the 3GS

One year ago today... the 3GS was still the top-of the line iPhone. And just 2 days later the iPhone 4 came out.

Now look at the 3GS... it's $49

Maybe the plastic 8GB 3GS should stick around for a while longer... call it iPhone Classic or something.

It's exactly what you're talking about... low-rez, not very fancy, etc.

rovex
Jun 22, 2011, 09:06 AM
There will never ever be a takedown model iPhone, apple equates the iPhone as being representative of the company's integrity and going cheap on the "best product" they've ever made holds no value. The iPhone is the definition of apple.

blackcrayon
Jun 22, 2011, 09:09 AM
Retina will be sweet, but on the A5 you will loose the gaming experience that makes the iPad 2 even better. To get any benefit for Retina on iPad 3 it will be another almost year before anything is made for it. :

Why? Nothing stops games that need the horsepower from continuing to be 1024 x 768 and looking just like they do today. Think of a desktop computer. You can run games at1280 x 720 on a 1920 x 1080 display if your GPU can't handle the game at full monitor resolution.

typ356
Jun 22, 2011, 09:11 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Launch date .... September 23rd.

KnightWRX
Jun 22, 2011, 09:14 AM
There is still no need to go above 5 megapixels.

There's no reason not to though. More pixel, with all the improved optics Sony brings, makes for better, sharper images, especially when you want to crop and zoom certain parts in post edit.

Yes! Apple should do it! I know how they could do it too, just like... wait for this, it's pure genius... sell last year's phone at a reduced priced! You know, like they could keep on selling the 3GS right now alongside the iPhone 4 as a cheaper option.

Oh wait... :rolleyes:

Michael Scrip
Jun 22, 2011, 09:16 AM
Samsung must be exceeding the numbers, they sold over a million Galaxy S2s in South Korea within a few days. Over 400k new Android phones activated a day. Nothing can stop the power of Android.

All reports I have read say Samsung sold 10 million Android smartphones last quarter to Apple's 18 million iPhones.

You're right... nothing can stop the power of Android. But Apple's not cancelling the iPhone because of low sales.

BOTH will be around for the rest of our lives... especially since Apple makes more money than all those other manufacturers combined...

"2nd place" ain't all bad... :)

Biolizard
Jun 22, 2011, 09:17 AM
Why? Nothing stops games that need the horsepower from continuing to be 1024 x 768 and looking just like they do today. Think of a desktop computer. You can run games at1280 x 720 on a 1920 x 1080 display if your GPU can't handle the game at full monitor resolution.

I don't have an iPhone 4 but I remember loads of people asking for apps to be updated because stuff doesn't look right at the old resolution; I guess because you're so much closer to the screen than say a desktop computer or a TV. The iPad you propose would suffer from this problem permanently.

geekgirrl
Jun 22, 2011, 09:18 AM
Apple? Bigger screen or I'm going to Android. How archaic will you be with your tiny little screen. It's so small compared to almost every phone out there. I hope you have woken up Steve and put a bigger screen on the new phone.

phpmaven
Jun 22, 2011, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE=DaGreat01;12805233]Why Are pople so doubtful of a new design? The current design obviously failed with the antenna issue.[/]

Failed? :p

dlewis23
Jun 22, 2011, 09:20 AM
All existing iPad software would be black-boxed? What a mess. I say they'll double it or nothing at all.

Well not necessarily. If you went to 1440x960 Apple would probably just scale/stretch all current apps up to that res. so they would be full screen. Since the jump in resolution isn't that much apps wouldn't really look any worse.

I could see them doing a small jump in resolution because of hardware limitations, but I also can't see it because it would cause a 3rd resolution in the pipe for when they can do @2x.

BackInAction
Jun 22, 2011, 09:23 AM
One year ago today... the 3GS was still the top-of the line iPhone. And just 2 days later the iPhone 4 came out.

Now look at the 3GS... it's $49

Maybe the plastic 8GB 3GS should stick around for a while longer... call it iPhone Classic or something.That's $49 with 2 year contract on an overpriced plan. It only saves the end user $150 over 2 years. Big deal.

Give me the 3GS for $300 and let me use it on one of the low-end prepaid plans ($25-$40/month) and you have a great offering. But as mentioned above, does this cannibalize sales from the newer phones? Diminish the Apple brand?

danielowenuk
Jun 22, 2011, 09:27 AM
Here is what I am thinking;

Most carriers provide subsidised phones for fixed term contracts

Most contracts (these days, in the uk, are 24 months)

Apple sells most of it's phones in month 1-2 of release.

As such most people's (with an iphone) renewal is around the same time of the year

Leaving a release date much further away than peoples refresh date would lead people into the temptation that is other phone manufacturers?

Interesting if they leave it much later than September.

rdstoll
Jun 22, 2011, 09:28 AM
So basically, Apple will be bringing their phone up to the hardware standards of the HTC Sensation and Samsung Galaxy S II? Or not quite?

The rotten apple slips farther and farther behind....

Michael Scrip
Jun 22, 2011, 09:29 AM
Well not necessarily. If you went to 1440x960 Apple would probably just scale/stretch all current apps up to that res. so they would be full screen. Since the jump in resolution isn't that much apps wouldn't really look any worse.

I could see them doing a small jump in resolution because of hardware limitations, but I also can't see it because it would cause a 3rd resolution in the pipe for when they can do @2x.

Any developer worth their salt has already made their iPhone apps work with the Retina display... with a fallback to iPhone 3GS resolution.

And... if they are really serious about iPad development... they make true iPad apps as well.

In the end.... if there are 2 iPhone resolutions and 2 iPad resolutions... developers WILL make them regardless.

Michael Scrip
Jun 22, 2011, 09:38 AM
That's $49 with 2 year contract on an overpriced plan. It only saves the end user $150 over 2 years. Big deal.

Give me the 3GS for $300 and let me use it on one of the low-end prepaid plans ($25-$40/month) and you have a great offering. But as mentioned above, does this cannibalize sales from the newer phones? Diminish the Apple brand?

Wait a minute... Apple has been offering the cheaper "last year" model for the past 3 years. Obviously it works... since the old-ass 3GS is still a top seller today.

I think the 3GS would be a perfect candidate for your non-contract or prepaid plan. It's older... slower... and doesn't have that great Retina display.

Surely that's enough to differentiate it from the new iPhone.

Plus... if the $49 3GS hasn't tarnished Apple's premium brand by now... I don't think it ever will.

But let's be real... would you really buy a 2 year old 3GS for $300? I understand the "no contract" thing... but if you did plan on using the same carrier for at least 2 years... why not spend only $200 and get the newest iPhone?

Neodym
Jun 22, 2011, 09:38 AM
Honeycomb is catching up and so do Android devices, thus giving Apple more competition. As quite some people say it would not be viable to do have a doubleres display in the iPad at this point in time, i could imagine Apple to weigh the competition pressure higher than the problems that come with yet another resolution and introduce the latter nevertheless.

Apple is not really known for keeping things only for the sake of backwards compatibility like the Wintel world did e.g. with the A20 gate or other antique pieces in Windows...

Of course i'm talking about the Apple company that Steve Jobs led to its current high. With Jobs being off sick currently the strategic orientation of the company may (already have) change(d)...

cmaier
Jun 22, 2011, 09:41 AM
There's no reason not to though. More pixel, with all the improved optics Sony brings, makes for better, sharper images, especially when you want to crop and zoom certain parts in post edit.

Reason not to is noise. More pixels means pixels closer together and/or smaller which means worse noise and worse low light performance.

Scaling by a third would look like crap (you want an integer multiple), plus the aspect ratio is different so everything would be distorted.

AaronEdwards
Jun 22, 2011, 09:44 AM
That's $49 with 2 year contract on an overpriced plan. It only saves the end user $150 over 2 years. Big deal.

Exactly. The only ones who are buying the 3GS are people who can't understand the total cost of the phone. And if you're unable to pay another $150 when purchasing the phone, then how will you be able to pay the monthly charges? Add to that, the fact that you will be able to sell the 4 after the contract period is over.

Can anyone please tell me any good argument why people are still buying the 3GS?

Northgrove
Jun 22, 2011, 09:46 AM
High-res iPad 3. Too good to be true.
Not if it's a "third higher" like this report speaks of. That's easily in the realms of tablets in 2012, and the most sense I've heard come out of this rumor for a long time. I agree with you if we're talking twice the resolution. That's iMac 27" level and rather crazy.

A third higher resolution also makes sense from the viewpoint that you tend to not be looking on a tablet device as closely as a mobile phone. So it's easier to achieve "retina" display quality as long as we're still defining "retina" as "no perceptible pixels from a typical viewing distance".

A third higher resolution is in conflict with the scarce hidden iPad icons found to be twice the resolution, however. That's a major source of confusion for me... It just makes so little sense to run an iPad on such an insane resolution.

Amazing Iceman
Jun 22, 2011, 09:46 AM
On the contrary - it's my engineering experience that tells me specs are a horrible way to compare products. A chip running at 2 GHz doesn't necessarily perform faster than one running at half the clock speed. Doubling the L1 cache size sounds good on paper, but can actually slow performance down. And we know how to make a mobile chip with 64 cores, but consumers wouldn't want to buy products that used it.

Engineering is all about trading off possibilities to meet constraints imposed by cost, marketing, customer demands, etc.

In the case of Apple's products, leaving off something important to a few percent of the potential audience in order to make things just a little better (cheaper, more reliable, less hot, etc.) for 97% of the potential audience makes a lot of sense.

True. I would never hype over a 5Ghz Intel Celeron Processor, if it ever came out. Others may.

iPhonedHome
Jun 22, 2011, 09:47 AM
Apple? Bigger screen or I'm going to Android. How archaic will you be with your tiny little screen. It's so small compared to almost every phone out there. I hope you have woken up Steve and put a bigger screen on the new phone.

^
|
|

We have a winner! :) Doing the same if next iPhone doesn't have at least a 4" screen.

mtcowdog
Jun 22, 2011, 09:50 AM

Why can't both reports be right?

Updated iPhone 4 plus a newly designed iPhone 5? Given that we are talking about rumors, I can see the logic in a family of iPhones versus a single iPhone. At least that's what I hope happens! :D

ChrisTX
Jun 22, 2011, 09:53 AM
^
|
|

We have a winner! :) Doing the same if next iPhone doesn't have at least a 4" screen.

Good luck with the fragmentation and half baked apps.

Me on the other hand, well I own an iPad so if I feel the need for a larger screen such as right now, this comes in quite handy!

Michael Scrip
Jun 22, 2011, 09:55 AM
Why can't both reports be right?

Updated iPhone 4 plus a newly designed iPhone 5? Given that we are talking about rumors, I can see the logic in a family of iPhones versus a single iPhone. At least that's what I hope happens! :D

I've heard other "reports" about Apple doing two iPhones a year... instead of one new and keeping the old.

If that's true... I wonder how they get that started. Two this September? Or one in September and one next Spring?

They already screwed up their usual Summer release schedule...

AaronEdwards
Jun 22, 2011, 10:01 AM
Wait a minute... Apple has been offering the cheaper "last year" model for the past 3 years. Obviously it works... since the old-ass 3GS is still a top seller today.

I think the 3GS would be a perfect candidate for your non-contract or prepaid plan. It's older... slower... and doesn't have that great Retina display.

Plus... if the $49 3GS hasn't tarnished Apple's premium brand by now... I don't think it ever will.

But let's be real... would you really buy a 2 year old 3GS for $300? I understand the "no contract" thing... but if you did plan on using the same carrier for at least 2 years... why not spend only $200 and get the newest iPhone?

There's no $49 3GS, there's a 3GS you pay $49 for and then you're going to have to pay as much for your plan as if you had bought a 4.

The cheapest AT&T plan would cost you $1556 for the 4 and $1406 for the 3GS.
A $300 3GS with a $30 plan would cost you $1020.

But I don't see it as feasible, since a lot of customer can't understand initial cost vs total cost.

heisetax
Jun 22, 2011, 10:09 AM

Apple likes the first day sales to be larger than the previous versions 1st day sales. Because preorders are included in first day sales it would be hard to see Apple saying that even though all of the retail outlets sold twice as many iPhones/iPads as the previous version first day sales were down 60% from thee previous release. That really makes good ad copy.

Amazing Iceman
Jun 22, 2011, 10:12 AM
Bloomberg's sources also report that Apple is testing a version of the iPad that has a "higher resolution screen, similar to the one now used in the iPhone 4". From here, Bloomberg references older rumors that Apple might be working on a cheaper iPhone aimed at attracting customers in developing countries. They seem to believe that work is continuing on this low-end iPhone.

Finally, they report that the resolution of the new iPad would be "about one-third higher" than the iPad 2. Such a small increase would be a surprise as Apple's method for increasing resolution on the iPhone was to double each dimension to offer simple scaling for apps. It's been expected that Apple might adopt the same technique in the iPad 3, though technical hurdles may exist for such high resolution displays.

These rumors seem true.
What caught my attention was the 1/3 height increase. This could indicate that Apple finally realized that using glue on the iPad 2 was a terrible idea, and may be now going back to using clips to hold the display.
Also the increased resolution to compete with the "other" tablets seems like a reasonable and expected move.

Michael Scrip
Jun 22, 2011, 10:13 AM
Apple sells most of its phones in month 1-2 of release.

As such most people's (with an iphone) renewal is around the same time of the year

That's not entirely true... not recently anyway.

Apple sold 18.65 million iPhones in Q2 of this year... and that's a full 6-8 months after the iPhone 4 originally came out.

That's more than either Q3 (8.4 million) and Q4 (14.1 million) of last year when the iPhone 4 was much newer.

I don't know what the breakdown was between iPhone 4 and 3GS... but the fact that the 3GS is still a strong seller only proves this point:

iPhones sell phenomenally well ALL year.

OhNoItsGojira
Jun 22, 2011, 10:23 AM
Finally looking forward to upgrading from my original 3G, an upgrade that is definitely in order. But, still seems to be conflicting information about what the phone's design will end up being. Some have said it will resemble the 4, others say the screen will cover more of the phone and they will try to eliminate the edges. Who knows at this point. But this will certainly be in time for my upgrade.

Michael Scrip
Jun 22, 2011, 10:27 AM
There's no $49 3GS, there's a 3GS you pay $49 for and then you're going to have to pay as much for your plan as if you had bought a 4.

But I don't see it as feasible, since a lot of customer can't understand initial cost vs total cost.

Like I said... that's what Apple and the carriers are selling the 3GS for.

I know the difference for sure... and I certainly wouldn't go for an old 3GS when I could have an iPhone 4.

But if you wanna get technical... there are no "free" phones on contract either. You will end up paying for it eventually.

Why would someone get the crappy free Motorola Citrus instead of the $249 Thunderbolt?

I guess there's a sucker born every minute!

winston1236
Jun 22, 2011, 10:29 AM
All the iphone rumors conflict. The last one said radically different case, this one says it will closely resemble 4...

thats a different radio no?

LinksAwakener
Jun 22, 2011, 10:43 AM

Technically speaking, the cheapest you can get away with is the $10 add-on family plan, plus data, which comes out to be $600 over two years. Remember the target consumer: the early-adopter iPhone owners are traditionally young and single (as a rule of thumb anyway). Those that pick up the discounted older model are (again, only as a rule of thumb) on family plans. A mom isn't going to drop $200 on a phone for her, let alone her children, but $50 is much more reasonable.

Please take the above with a grain of salt. I worked in sales, and that was in fact the traditional model for selling the iPhone, but does not fit all cases. I hope that's obvious.

suggymoto
Jun 22, 2011, 10:53 AM
I was speaking to an apparant Lawyer for Apple UK yesterday who was upgrading his personal contract to a Sim only term as he would be taking a new handset in September. This seems to tie in with today's news of an expected iPhone 5 launch in September.

Blorzoga
Jun 22, 2011, 10:55 AM
These rumors seem true.
What caught my attention was the 1/3 height increase. This could indicate that Apple finally realized that using glue on the iPad 2 was a terrible idea, and may be now going back to using clips to hold the display.
Also the increased resolution to compete with the "other" tablets seems like a reasonable and expected move.

Height increase? What on earth are you talking about? The 1/3 increase is in the resolution not the physical size. This fact alone make the rumor seem very dubious. Developers would probably not be too excited about such a change.

Blorzoga
Jun 22, 2011, 10:58 AM
Like I've said before, my friend at Apple R&D also said they're gunning for a new iPhone and new iPad release side by side in September.

Hard to believe but that's what was being said at Apple.

Yeah, we all believe you.

Blorzoga
Jun 22, 2011, 11:03 AM
I was speaking to an apparant Lawyer for Apple UK yesterday who was upgrading his personal contract to a Sim only term as he would be taking a new handset in September. This seems to tie in with today's news of an expected iPhone 5 launch in September.

What is an Apparant lawyer ?

WLS
Jun 22, 2011, 11:11 AM
I've heard other "reports" about Apple doing two iPhones a year... instead of one new and keeping the old.

If that's true... I wonder how they get that started. Two this September? Or one in September and one next Spring?

They already screwed up their usual Summer release schedule...

Since the Summer release is already hosed I would expect something special in September.
How bout 2 in September and no iPod Touch or it might be a Phat Touch but not as we now know it.

INeedAMacBook
Jun 22, 2011, 11:13 AM
No kidding, the camera and resolution is updated every year.

Since when was the resolution updated every year? On iPhone it has been updated once, in 4 generations (soon to be 5) an the iPad hasn't had a screen update yet.

Amazing Iceman
Jun 22, 2011, 11:16 AM
Height increase? What on earth are you talking about? The 1/3 increase is in the resolution not the physical size. This fact alone make the rumor seem very dubious. Developers would probably not be too excited about such a change.

Oops, my bad. I misread. I just wish Apple goes back to the clipping system, and stops using glue.

Developers will not care about the increased resolution, as it maintains it's 4:3 aspect ratio. iOS will take care of seamlessly scaling the application. Also, keep in mind this has already happened with the iPhone 4, and I never ran into a developer complaining about it.

Jimmy James
Jun 22, 2011, 11:17 AM
I'm disappointed to keep hearing about the 8 MP camera. I would much prefer the current 5 MP camera. But in the end it won't be that big of a deal.

Reach9
Jun 22, 2011, 11:27 AM
Talk about an iPad 3? Not in 2011. Steve Jobs said so himself that this year will be the year of the iPad 2, so can we drop the nonsense about iPad 3 this year?

Also, iPhone 5 to have only an A5 and an 8MP camera after over 1 year of waiting? lol, i find that really hard to believe, and if that is true then i'll be heavily disappointed at Apple.

RebelScum
Jun 22, 2011, 11:42 AM
Know what I love?

I love that if I use a question mark at the end of a sentence, I can say anything I want?

Next iPhone to be powered by the magic of rainbows?

GorgonPhone
Jun 22, 2011, 11:48 AM
i skipped ipad 2 cause of the low rez screen and i will not get another ipad until it has retina quality or better.. iphone 4s is suppesed to have bigger screen also if it does not i will keep iphone4 until there is an iphone with a bigger screen..

GorgonPhone
Jun 22, 2011, 11:48 AM
Know what I love?

I love that if I use a question mark at the end of a sentence, I can say anything I want?

Next iPhone to be powered by the magic of rainbows?

lol i an sooooo sick of this new stupid news media trend

radiogoober
Jun 22, 2011, 12:06 PM
It's so strange how many Apple haters hang out on this website. I don't even know the name of a phone that runs Android. Droid maybe? X? HTC Galaxy? I don't know. I couldn't imagine wasting my time trolling their forums all day long, if they even have forums.

phpmaven
Jun 22, 2011, 12:08 PM
I'm disappointed to keep hearing about the 8 MP camera. I would much prefer the current 5 MP camera. But in the end it won't be that big of a deal.

OK, your going to have to explain the rational behind your disappointment. Are you normally disappointed when things get upgraded? :)

Steve Jobs said so himself that this year will be the year of the iPad 2, so can we drop the nonsense about iPad 3 this year?

Why do people keep quoting this comment by Steve as though it was some definitive statement on the future release dates of the next version. He was obviously just saying that it was going to be wildly successful.

Michael Scrip
Jun 22, 2011, 12:24 PM
OK, your going to have to explain the rational behind your disappointment. Are you normally disappointed when things get upgraded? :)

I don't consider it an upgrade to cram more pixels in an already teeny-tiny sensor.

Plus... see Megapixel Myth

Also... do we really need 3264x2468 images from a phone?

KillerTree
Jun 22, 2011, 12:30 PM
Even though this site is called MacRUMORS, I'm tired of these rumors. Two big news names posting two completely different rumors on iPhones and iPads.

I call ******** on both of them and they're just taking educated guessing on the next generation devices.

iPhonedHome
Jun 22, 2011, 12:36 PM

Me on the other hand, well I own an iPad so if I feel the need for a larger screen such as right now, this comes in quite handy!

Yeah I'll be just fine with my iPhone4 sans the POS phone function and my first gen iPad.

I'll more than likely just be taking a 1 year vacation from Apple returning when they come out with a LTE phone.

cvaldes
Jun 22, 2011, 01:02 PM
Apple sells most of it's phones in month 1-2 of release.

False.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?p=1794012#post1794012

Jimmy James
Jun 22, 2011, 02:19 PM

Sure, I'll explain. It's not actually an upgrade.

All other things being equal adding megapixels gives you the following advantages:

1. You can make larger prints
2. You can crop tighter

HOWEVER:

There are limitations with the lens and sensor. Putting more MP on the same sized sensor creates higher pixel density. We are at a saturation point with the current 5MP sensor where adding pixels will add substantial noise and therefore degrade the image quality. 8 MP on the current sensor is a downgrade. At best, coupled with in-camera processing algorithms to deal with the noise, it's a lateral move. It requires concessions to be made.

You can't simply stick in a bigger sensor, either. You are limited by the focal length, which is dictated by the thickness of the device. Adding a DSLR-sized sensor to deal with noise requires the attachment of a DSLR sized lens. There is no magic way around this.

Focal Length:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos..._Length_01.htm

To those that want even more MP. You have to ask yourselves; what's the biggest print you've ever made with your iPhone and do you plan to do that with any regularity? I'm betting the answer will be "small prints" or "none at all". So, no advantage realized with the downside of more noise.

Here is another way of looking at it. Imagine if we're talking about stereo amplifiers. You have one with 1000 watts of power (which you rarely use to potential) and, for the sake of numbers, you want an "upgrade" to 2000 watts of power. However, you'll have to deal with more distortion at ALL listening levels. Do you really want that? "More" is a downgrade.

So I'll take the perfectly good pictures of the current camera. Who really wants larger file sizes without any substantial benefit?

christianboyce
Jun 22, 2011, 02:19 PM
First, your source says "the details aren't public." So why do YOU think it's a good idea to make them public? Have you no sense of right and wrong at all?

Second, Bloomberg, you've said almost nothing. Gee, the new iPhone will be faster and have a better camera? Anyone could have guessed that months ago. That's hardly a scoop.

MacRumors: the fact that Bloomberg says the same thing that someone else says about an Apple release is not the same as "confirming" it. Only Apple can "confirm" it.

Geckotek
Jun 22, 2011, 02:22 PM
First, your source says "the details aren't public." So why do YOU think it's a good idea to make them public? Have you no sense of right and wrong at all?

I hope you are kidding.

vincenz
Jun 22, 2011, 02:40 PM

Might be just me, but I would trust a big news corp like bloomberg when it comes to early rumors like these. They have a reputation to uphold, after all.

mdelvecchio
Jun 22, 2011, 03:05 PM
i skipped ipad 2 cause of the low rez screen and i will not get another ipad until it has retina quality or better..

...before the iphone4 resolution had you ever even considered the ipad's res? no. wasnt a big deal, was it?

Flav247
Jun 22, 2011, 03:06 PM
Once the iPad3 comes out I should be able to get a 1st gen iPad for almost nothing! lol

jasonxneo
Jun 22, 2011, 03:06 PM
The iphone is the best and freshest looking looking cell there is. Its the best phone in the entire plant!! of Earth!!

jasonxneo
Jun 22, 2011, 03:08 PM
Once the iPad3 comes out I should be able to get a 1st gen iPad for almost nothing! lol

Dude i can sell u an ipad for 250
a 2nd gen w/facetime & smart cover all for 250 sealed brandnew never been opened@!!

Flav247
Jun 22, 2011, 03:14 PM
a 2nd gen w/facetime & smart cover all for 250 sealed brandnew never been opened@!!

Whats that now??!!??

Viper2005
Jun 22, 2011, 03:18 PM

Steve might not be around in March 2012 to say that :P

LinksAwakener
Jun 22, 2011, 03:34 PM

Not sure if troll...

You have my attention. Proceed.

bmwhd
Jun 22, 2011, 03:44 PM
The whole thing is starting to get interesting. My initial read of my tea leaves had me leaning toward a mild update like a 4S. However, my VZW sources have me thinking bigger now.

They've been exceedingly tight lipped as usual but it's what I read between the lines that has me hopeful that we may be surprised. The China Mobile tidbit is also interesting...

I'd not fall out of my chair if they dropped something like this on us :D

http://email.bmwlt.com/users/bmwhd@bmwlt.com/Pictures/Stuff/Emperor%2DPalpatine_lte.jpg

ChrisTX
Jun 22, 2011, 03:58 PM
Samsung must be exceeding the numbers, they sold over a million Galaxy S2s in South Korea within a few days. Over 400k new Android phones activated a day. Nothing can stop the power of Android.

Didn't Apple sell almost 2 million iPhone 4's opening weekend in the states?

Also keep in mind that Samsung are Korean so demand for their products will always be particularly high on their turf.

iSheahan
Jun 22, 2011, 04:44 PM

Yeah, I was disappointed to hear Sept after BGR put out an August release - I GOTTA get my 3GS upgraded!!!

I kinda speculated that perhaps this is a 4S that we heard rumors about, maybe for the Verison market and a less expensive alternative to AT&T customers than the iPhone 5.

But what the hell do I know? I just read the rumors, I don't need to make them up. lol

korndawg
Jun 22, 2011, 04:59 PM
Maybe I fail at reading, but I've read that article many times and I don't see where they state that the new iphone 5 will closely resemble the iphone 4...........

Bloomberg says the new iphone will have an A5 CPU and advanced camera. Nothing about an iphone 4 design.

In the article about the 'cheaper' iphone in development, it is said that phone will look like an iphone 4.

So the iphone 5, could still be a redesign.

So Bloomberg is saying 2 phones are in development: a new phone with an A5 and 8 meg camera and a cheaper iphone that has the design of an iphone 4.

darthraige
Jun 22, 2011, 05:04 PM
Again... What part of "Year of the iPad 2" don't you understand? I can see an iPhone update, but not an iPad. Also, I can see it not being called iPhone "5."

LinksAwakener
Jun 22, 2011, 05:26 PM
Maybe I fail at reading, but I've read that article many times and I don't see where they state that the new iphone 5 will closely resemble the iphone 4...........

Bloomberg says the new iphone will have an A5 CPU and advanced camera. Nothing about an iphone 4 design.

In the article about the 'cheaper' iphone in development, it is said that phone will look like an iphone 4.

So the iphone 5, could still be a redesign.

So Bloomberg is saying 2 phones are in development: a new phone with an A5 and 8 meg camera and a cheaper iphone that has the design of an iphone 4.

This sounds strangely like what Apple has been doing the last few years. Impossible! A 'new' iPhone that's completely redesigned and another 'new' one that's very reminiscent of the prior year...crazy!

Again... What part of "Year of the iPad 2" don't you understand? I can see an iPhone update, but not an iPad. Also, I can see it not being called iPhone "5."

I'm not saying I think there will be an iPad 3 this year, but there have been several rumors that bubbled up saying exactly that. And seeing as how the iPad 2 update was barely enough to consider a new version, you can't argue that it's impossible.

Also, nobody is saying that's what the iPhone will be called. But until there's a proper name for it, that's what everyone is going to call it, since it is in fact the fifth generation iPhone.

johndallas999
Jun 22, 2011, 05:59 PM
High res iPad and i'm in!! The current resolution is way too low. After staring and my i4 it looks horrendous!

Certinfy
Jun 22, 2011, 06:03 PM
I don't know, part of me would be more than happy with the same design as the 4, I mean come on it's one of the best designs for a mobile phone ever in my opinion and I really do like the glass. Whereas the other part of me wants a change but to think about potentially having the plastic back doesn't really interest me as much.

lilcosco08
Jun 22, 2011, 06:21 PM
The iphone is the best and freshest looking looking cell there is. Its the best phone in the entire plant!! of Earth!!

fanboy much?

ryanwarsaw
Jun 22, 2011, 07:01 PM

Not quite sure why this post has brought negative feedback. CNN is reporting some former exec from Apple saying that they will indeed be making a TV. That is just a rumor but this is a rumor site.

mccldwll
Jun 22, 2011, 07:54 PM
Might be just me, but I would trust a big news corp like bloomberg when it comes to early rumors like these. They have a reputation to uphold, after all.

Bloomberg has a reputation all right, when it comes to aapl rumors. However, it certainly isn't a good one.

Geckotek
Jun 22, 2011, 08:15 PM
Bloomberg has a reputation all right, when it comes to aapl rumors. However, it certainly isn't a good one.

Really? What rumors did they call wrong vs the ones they got right? Do you have a Tally?

Edit: I should point out that I believe most of their bad reputation came from stating way back in June 2010 that Verizon would get the iPhone in 2011. Everyone called BS. Everyone was wrong. Bloomberg called it.

pavers
Jun 22, 2011, 08:41 PM
don't think the iPad 3 launch that quick, iPone5 with better spec, yes I do believe!

KnightWRX
Jun 22, 2011, 08:48 PM
Reason not to is noise. More pixels means pixels closer together and/or smaller which means worse noise and worse low light performance.

Except again for the much improved Sony optics. The Xperia Arc's 8 MP camera takes better low light images and has less overall noise than the iPhone 4's camera.

Look up the reviews, Sony really did a fantastic job and the iPhone 4's camera is really pathetic compared to the Xperia Arc's. Hence why Apple is rumored to go with Sony's camera in the next iPhone. It is that much better.

ardent73
Jun 22, 2011, 08:50 PM
Sorry if it was already mentioned, a big reason that iPhone 5 and iPad 3 were delayed being made public is because of the Apple lawsuit with Samsung.

dampfnudel
Jun 22, 2011, 08:57 PM

Does it make sense to call the 5th generation iPhone with iOS 5 anything other than iPhone 5? Besides, I'm sure Asian markets will appreciate the change from the unlucky number 4 to the number 5. In particular, many of China Mobile's 600 million customers will probably appreciate it.;)

As for "Year of the iPad 2", if Apple releases a new iPad in September, it could be called iPad 2 HD (with an improved display) so "Year of the iPad 2" would still stand as the truth, mostly. You have to realize when it comes to business, nothing is written in stone and anything is possible, including a new iPad only six months after the release of the last one. Of course, I won't believe it until I see it, just like with the Verizon iPhone. I've heard many rumors that never came true or took too damn long to come true (in the case of the Verizon iPhone for example).

Geckotek
Jun 22, 2011, 09:05 PM
Sorry if it was already mentioned, a big reason that iPhone 5 and iPad 3 were delayed being made public is because of the Apple lawsuit with Samsung.

You mean other than the fact that Apple never makes them public before they announce them at one of their events? :confused:

KnightWRX
Jun 22, 2011, 09:06 PM
Does it make sense to call the 5th generation iPhone with iOS 5 anything other than iPhone 5?

Actually, yes. It would be a good time to simply call it "iPhone" and be done with all the stupid suffixes.

mccldwll
Jun 22, 2011, 09:25 PM
Really? What rumors did they call wrong vs the ones they got right? Do you have a Tally?

Edit: I should point out that I believe most of their bad reputation came from stating way back in June 2010 that Verizon would get the iPhone in 2011. Everyone called BS. Everyone was wrong. Bloomberg called it.

No Tally. But Bloom's financial reporting when it comes to aapl has been questionable for years (Gugliemo often citing Abramsky with his RIMM conflict and Toni the Tool for aapl info). As far as recent reporting (which obviously could eventually be true in spite of NYT statement):

http://www.edibleapple.com/new-report-says-apple-is-not-working-on-a-smaller-iphone-form-factor/

Bottom line: You're more than welcome to trust Bloomberg. I don't.

cmaier
Jun 22, 2011, 09:31 PM
Actually, yes. It would be a good time to simply call it "iPhone" and be done with all the stupid suffixes.

They would be selling iPhone 4's for cheap instead of iphone 3g's, and it would get pretty confusing.

mccldwll
Jun 22, 2011, 09:52 PM
fanboy much?

Actually, he's probably a troll, or worse. Here's another of his posts:

"Dude i can sell u an ipad for 250 a 2nd gen...

a 2nd gen w/facetime & smart cover all for 250 sealed brandnew never been opened@!!"

Anyone who believes that, PM me and I've got a good deal on a bridge for you. The general known scam is that when you contact these "honest purveyors" they say that the one they had has just been sold, but that they buy them all the time on a certain penny auction site for even less than that. And then, out of the kindness of their hearts, they offer to tell you a secret on how to bid so that you'll win. Except you'll lose. Big.
It's either that, or he's just plain lying.

captain kaos
Jun 22, 2011, 09:55 PM
I believe this article from Bloomberg much more than BGR's sensationalist viewer grabbing headlines from yesterday. I don't think the iPhone 5 will look any different than the 4, which is such a beautiful design.

As for the iPad 3 ... 1/3 res bump seems a bit strange, but I'm not paying attention to any iPad 3 rumours until after January.

Im hoping its the same design. I missed out the iphone 4 (due to going to the dark side, BB) and when i see a 4 i like it, its what i'd like to go back to after finding that the grass isn't always greener!

captain kaos
Jun 22, 2011, 10:11 PM

I don't know, it gets to a point when these things are to big to put in your pocket. I quite the size of the current screen.

captain kaos
Jun 22, 2011, 10:17 PM

Can you still believe that Apple Australia is selling the 3gs (8gb) for $719, only $140 less than the 16gb iphone 4!

captain kaos
Jun 22, 2011, 10:20 PM

Exactly, i like the size of the iphone 4 screen, i don't want to be feeling that im carrying a large, glass screened ipad in my pocket!

captain kaos
Jun 22, 2011, 10:46 PM

Second, Bloomberg, you've said almost nothing. Gee, the new iPhone will be faster and have a better camera? Anyone could have guessed that months ago. That's hardly a scoop.

MacRumors: the fact that Bloomberg says the same thing that someone else says about an Apple release is not the same as "confirming" it. Only Apple can "confirm" it.

Angry much??!

Jagardn
Jun 22, 2011, 11:00 PM

I need a XOOM and a Galaxy Tab so all 3 apps available for them will be in HD! :rolleyes:

Paulshaqz
Jun 22, 2011, 11:09 PM
Dont care about edge to edge screen, I would like a bigger screen though. Maybe a different form factor.

agreed i would love to see a 4 inch screen.

ardent73
Jun 22, 2011, 11:18 PM
You mean other than the fact that Apple never makes them public before they announce them at one of their events? :confused:

Confused? Apple had a WWDC event where they announced iOS 5 but not an iPhone 5... I heard about it, have you?

Calm down, I'm not claiming to have inside information, etc, just saying that when you look for a rational explanation for events, you usually can find one.

If being rational and thoughtful is forbidden, please tell me, oh wait, I guess you just did.

(I miss the old days of the internet/web when you could post something and NOT be attacked for saying the sky is blue...)

Geckotek
Jun 23, 2011, 12:35 AM

Confused? Apple had a WWDC event where they announced iOS 5 but not an iPhone 5... I heard about it, have you?

Calm down, I'm not claiming to have inside information, etc, just saying that when you look for a rational explanation for events, you usually can find one.

If being rational and thoughtful is forbidden, please tell me, oh wait, I guess you just did.

(I miss the old days of the internet/web when you could post something and NOT be attacked for saying the sky is blue...)

Rational thought? Where? You said in your first quote that the iPhone 5 was being delayed being made public at WWDC because of the lawsuit. If it were to have been made public during WWDC, it would have been launched shortly after as Apple always does. Do you see an iPhone launch being launched? I don't.

The reason it wasn't announced at WWDC had nothing to do with Samsung. It had everything to do with Apple not wanting to launch in June, July, or August. Therefore, we will see an announcement at their next event and a launch shortly after....as we always do.

Saying the sky is blue is fine. You just implied it was bright green.

If it gets any bigger you might as well carry around a tablet. I don't want some giant phone in my pocket. No bigger than the current form factor please or I will no longer be buying Apple.

Edge to edge screen would be very nice though.

X5-452
Jun 23, 2011, 01:34 AM
No Tally. But Bloom's financial reporting when it comes to aapl has been questionable for years (Gugliemo often citing Abramsky with his RIMM conflict and Toni the Tool for aapl info). As far as recent reporting (which obviously could eventually be true in spite of NYT statement):

http://www.edibleapple.com/new-report-says-apple-is-not-working-on-a-smaller-iphone-form-factor/

Bottom line: You're more than welcome to trust Bloomberg. I don't.

I've actually been thinking that.

They did it with the iPod line. They stopped referring to them as 1st gen / 2nd gen, and just started saying "iPod nano" or "iPod touch" and "iPod classic"

They all have generation numbers attached to them for support file purposes, but none of them are advertised as "iPod touch 3rd generation can FaceTime like no other iPod..."

I think "The all new iPhone" is how it'll be on their website and in print.

KnightWRX
Jun 23, 2011, 04:09 AM
They would be selling iPhone 4's for cheap instead of iphone 3g's, and it would get pretty confusing.

Uh ? No, just rename the whole line-up, iPhone. Sell the cheap one with A4 processor, the expensive one with A5 processor.

Same as any other product line-up they have bar the iPad.

mccldwll
Jun 23, 2011, 06:37 AM
Apparently my friend who works at BestBuy tried the new iPhone 5 and apparently it has a keyboard.... well, atleast that's what he said.
:p

LinksAwakener
Jun 23, 2011, 07:02 AM
Uh ? No, just rename the whole line-up, iPhone. Sell the cheap one with A4 processor, the expensive one with A5 processor.

Same as any other product line-up they have bar the iPad.

I see what you're trying to say, but completely disagree. Unfortunately the iPhone isn't like any other product they offer. No other product line has two completely different models without accompanying that with a different name (MacBook vs. MacBook Pro). All their other products are simply defined with their capacity. Apple actually sells two different generations at the same time when it comes to the iPhone. It makes more sense to label the different generations.

Now, if they scrap the old generation entirely, but sell three versions of the newest iPhone I can see where you're coming from. iPhone 8GB, 16GB and 32GB where the 8GB has an A4 proc, the 16 and 32 have an A5 proc, and they all have the same form. This would make sense. But when the products themselves differ, marketing shows you need to label them differently (and more than just by capacity).

Apparently my friend who works at BestBuy tried the new iPhone 5 and apparently it has a keyboard.... well, atleast that's what he said.

And obviously Best Buy employees are totally trusting when it comes to completely unreleased, unannounced products. :rolleyes:

korndawg
Jun 23, 2011, 07:18 AM
Rational thought? Where? You said in your first quote that the iPhone 5 was being delayed being made public at WWDC because of the lawsuit. If it were to have been made public during WWDC, it would have been launched shortly after as Apple always does. Do you see an iPhone launch being launched? I don't.

The reason it wasn't announced at WWDC had nothing to do with Samsung. It had everything to do with Apple not wanting to launch in June, July, or August. Therefore, we will see an announcement at their next event and a launch shortly after....as we always do.

Saying the sky is blue is fine. You just implied it was bright green.

If it gets any bigger you might as well carry around a tablet. I don't want some giant phone in my pocket. No bigger than the current form factor please or I will no longer be buying Apple.

Edge to edge screen would be very nice though.

So if they increase it to 4", u may as well carry around a a 9.7" ipad? That's logical.......... I agree that they should not increase the size of the device, but an edge to edge screen that increases the overall screen size would be great.

Geckotek
Jun 23, 2011, 08:30 AM
So if they increase it to 4", u may as well carry around a a 9.7" ipad? That's logical.......... I agree that they should not increase the size of the device, but an edge to edge screen that increases the overall screen size would be great.

You contradict yourself in disagreeing with me.

To get a 4" screen you must increase the size of the device.

plitteer
Jun 23, 2011, 08:35 AM
IPAD3 will likely still not accept Flash. Apple will lag behind in sales until it settles its differences with Sun Tech and allows Flash. I will update to a competitor device with Flash if Apple doesn't bury the hatchet with Sun.

Geckotek
Jun 23, 2011, 08:36 AM
IPAD3 will likely still not accept Flash. Apple will lag behind in sales until it settles its differences with Sun Tech and allows Flash. I will update to a competitor device with Flash if Apple doesn't bury the hatchet with Sun.

Would you like to make a cash wager on that? Flash is dying a slow death.

NelsonB
Jun 23, 2011, 08:37 AM
how do i start thread?