Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
Couldn't find this anywhere, so wanted to ask, if anyone else is having a problem with Lion not waking from sleep on 2011 MBPs?

I close my lid, it seems to sleep, then when I open it, nothing, I have to force a reboot to get the MBP back up.

I have reset PRAM already, no joy.

Look forward to hearing tips and advice!

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
Hit any key (or button on a mouse) and it will wake up. Kind of annoying, but it does save the computer from waking up after I put it to sleep and accidentally hit the mouse when getting up from my desk.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
Splash cold water on it, it'll wake up :)

On a serious note, It did it to me once, I think it is a glitch. I just restarted my computer (thank god for resume). Make sure you tell Apple about it so they can address it.

nesl247

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
Florida
Are you talking about where when you open the lid, it's as if the computer has frozen? I've gotten that quite a few times so far. Not do to any external hardware (usb drives, etc).

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
mine only wakes from keypad, not from mouse/trackpad.

Actually.....Lion wakes from a mouse click or a track pack click. Not anymore from just a mouse or trackpad move.

I consider this a HUGE improvement as i have a cat which likes to play with my mouse (no pun intended) and used to wake up my iMac all the time!

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Actually.....Lion wakes from a mouse click or a track pack click. Not anymore from just a mouse or trackpad move.

I consider this a HUGE improvement as i have a cat which likes to play with my mouse (no pun intended) and used to wake up my iMac all the time!

There must be some way to switch it back?

shaivure

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
I really need a fix for this, as I use my Mac Mini as a media centre. I need to be able to wake the machine using just the Apple Remote. I don't want to have to find my keyboard to wake the display!

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal

In SL you could have just gone to bluetooth preferences and disabled the "allow this device to wake my computer" option.

jorgus

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
Not all devices are bluetooth. Logitech mouses for example.

Anyway - Lion sleep issue is wider than this. If you wake up the Mac with a keyboard stroke and then do nothing - it goes to sleep again in seconds. And - this is worse - if the Mac wakes up 'cause of a timer setting it also will go to sleep again in seconds - 'cause there is no input from mouse or keyboard. This means that timer functions (alarm) is useless and there is no meaning that you can set timer functions in Energy Saver. I have a backup set at 4 in the morning (Personal Backup) - it doesn't work 'cause Personal Backup is just about to act when Lion goes to sleep again. Jezez. OSX have always had issues with sleep. All kinds of issues. All OSX generations. It never ends. It seems to be the hardest thing to code for the geniouses in Cupertino. :-D

In SL you could have just gone to bluetooth preferences and disabled the "allow this device to wake my computer" option.

Mactagious

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009
I need to have this feature back!

I find it much easier to wake up my computer by just swiping on the trackpad but now I have to physically click it. It's annoying We need an option to choose this method. If there is a work around please let me know!

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I find it much easier to wake up my computer by just swiping on the trackpad but now I have to physically click it. It's annoying We need an option to choose this method. If there is a work around please let me know!

I find it especially annoying, since my Mac Mini in the living room doesn't have a keyboard! Just a magic trackpad!

xyion1

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
I am also having a similar issue with my 2009 13" MBP not waking up after sleep.

When it does wake it, it has the little white Chiclets loading bar at the bottom like after the battery runs out of juice and it auto-shutdowns however after getting it to boot (by holding power for like 20 seconds, releasing, then pressing again) the battery percentage is like 90%! Pressing any key, clicking, even pressing the power button does nothing to get it to wake up.

I don't have any external USB/firewire connected, bluetooth is off, and I mainly keep safari open. I doubt its a bad battery because this didnt happen 3 days ago while using SL and using sleep overnight. I did do an upgrade and not a clean install if that makes a difference.

Any help?

maverick530

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
No Option to Turn on Mouse Move to Wakup From Sleep

Here Here. If Apple is going to mess around with how we interact with our PCs (subtle complaint towards reversing the mouse scroll direction in Lion--had to plug in an Apple mouse just to change this setting) they need to provide an option to let us go back! I can't stand that I have to hit a key to wake up my Lion now instead of just moving my mouse. Old habits die slowly.

thornwivans

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
Apple please fix this!

My mouse will not wake the computer and its so annoying! If this is really an issue then there should be an option to turn it off and on! Giving the option would be a much better solution than just taking the function away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.