PDA

View Full Version : Home Sharing Issue

alderaan34
Jun 22, 2011, 08:59 AM
Hey guys, I am new to the site and was wondering if someone could help me with an issue I having. I just tried to enable home sharing on my ipod and have been running into issues.

My wife and I both have the Ipod touch 4g, both are on 4.3.3. My desktop is running Win7 x64 and I also have a macbook pro.

So I enable home sharing on my desktop, and I made sure to go into the settings of both ipods and enter my username and password for my library, but when i went to my music app the home share didnt come up. At first I thought it might be my firewall and anti virus blocking the share, so I disabled both and that didnt do anything.

Next I used my macbook pro to see if it would see the share from my desktop and was able to connect and stream the music to it. But for some reason my ipods still cant see it. I know its not my desktop thats having the issue because my macbook can connect.

I also have the remote app for my ipod and that connects just fine with my desktop, I know both apps use the same ports, after checking the apple site.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Thanks

Appel

soco
Jun 22, 2011, 09:00 AM
I thought home sharing was just for other computers' iTunes librarys to see the home shared one.

No?

Sjhonny
Jun 22, 2011, 09:39 AM
Home sharing is just for streaming between different pcs/macs. You can't stream music to your ipod using home sharing in iTunes. I don't even know or it's possible with a 3rd party app. , without having to jailbreak your iPod.

The remote app and home sharing have nothing to do with each other. Remote lets you control which song/movie iTunes is playing and the sound level. Nothing more, nothing less.

alderaan34
Jun 22, 2011, 03:26 PM
Home sharing is just for streaming between different pcs/macs. You can't stream music to your ipod using home sharing in iTunes. I don't even know or it's possible with a 3rd party app. , without having to jailbreak your iPod.

The remote app and home sharing have nothing to do with each other. Remote lets you control which song/movie iTunes is playing and the sound level. Nothing more, nothing less.

With iOS 4.3 they added the ability to stream to all the mobile platforms.

http://www.apple.com/ios/

Actually the remote app and home sharing use the same ports to connect, both use TCP 3689 and UDP 5353.

smoge
Jun 22, 2011, 03:41 PM
Hello and welcome to MacRoumors, im quite new too. You are 150% right, the others dont know what they are talking about, you can easily steam music a videos from pc or mac to ipod or iphone.

I dont want to sound like a bit of a noob but are you looking in the right place on your ipod/iphone? coz it took about 20mins for me to find it.

alderaan34
Jun 22, 2011, 03:44 PM
Hello and welcome to MacRoumors, im quite new to. You are 150% right, the others dont know what they are talking about, you can easily steam music a videos from pc or mac to ipod or iphone.

I dont want to sound like a bit of a noob but are you looking in the right place on your ipod/iphone? coz it took about 20mins for me to find it.

Yeah, it should be in the ... menu under the ipod app, but it doesnt show up there. I tried doing home sharing with my macboook and my ipod was able to see it, so now I am really confused, cause my macbook can see my desktop, but my ipod cant.

smoge
Jun 22, 2011, 04:12 PM
k... just to be sure it should be in the ipod app under more:http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=290734&stc=1&d=1308775723

when i set mine up there was a number of issues that i had,
. itunes need to be open for your iphone/ipod to connect to it. (try only having itunes open on your pc or mac it mitt be confusing it)
. mac sure that bonjour service is enabled on your pc.
. in itunes make sure home sharing is turned on and check that you are shearing items under preferences in itunes then home sharing.

if all of them are correct then ill post another list of other issuers that i had so you can start troubleshooting.

alderaan34
Jun 22, 2011, 04:15 PM
k... just to be sure it should be in the ipod app under more:Image (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=587413)

when i set mine up there was a number of issues that i had,
. itunes need to be open for your iphone/ipod to connect to it. (try only having itunes open on your pc or mac it mitt be confusing it)
. mac sure that bonjour service is enabled on your pc.
. in itunes make sure home sharing is turned on and check that you are shearing items under preferences in itunes then home sharing.

if all of them are correct then ill post another list of other issuers that i had so you can start troubleshooting.

Yeah I've done all of these, I know home sharing is working because my mackbook pro could the home share, just my ipods cant...

Sjhonny
Jun 22, 2011, 06:31 PM
You might have forgotten to add a home sharing account under Settings/Music

marc11
Jun 22, 2011, 06:42 PM

This could not be further from the truth. I home share and stream music, movies and pod casts from my MB and MBP to my ipad and iTouch all the time. You enable home sharing on your Mac, and leave it ON with iTunes OPEN. Then enable home sharing on your touch or phone, go to videos or ipod and then select the library, you will see the shared libaray listed, select it and you will see the contents of the Mac itunes library. From there select what you want and it will play on your device via home sharing from the Mac itunes. You can even listen or watch something different on your Mac while someone else is home sharing different content.

alderaan34
Jun 23, 2011, 06:05 AM
I gave up, if my macbook pro and my wife's macbook can see the home sharing then its fine with me....