Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
My father's ipad2 had never been synced to his desktop or itunes before this morning. He already had itunes installed on his desktop(pc) from when my sister had connected her ipad2 2 weeks ago.

When he connected his ipad to his desktop, itunes(set to auto sync) synced his ipad to the image of my sister's ipad that was already in itunes. Now his ipad appears as my sister's. All his photos have been replaced by the ones from my sister's ipad, the background is different and the apps he had installed are gone.

What happened to the image of my dad's ipad? It even says the name of my sister's ipad when I go to the settings menu on his ipad.

Shouldn't the pictures that were originally on his ipad from before the sync be copied to the pc somewhere after the sync?

I've browsed everywhere I can think on his pc and the only photos that I see are one's that where already there, nothing from what was on his ipad before the sync.

It's as if the image of his ipad was replaced completely my that of my sister's and all his info was deleted. Could this be the case? And if so is it possible to restore his ipad to where it was before the sync, besides doing a factory reset?

S

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
When it was plugged in, iTunes should have done an auto-backup so you should be able to restore to that.

Jaim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
I'm pretty sure I did that. There were only two images listed when we selected restore; one dated today with the time he connected to the pc, and another dated back in May, which I'm guessing was when my sister last connected to his pc.

His ipad showed no change after restoring to the option dated today.

The strange thing is all the back-ups are labeled with my sister's ipad name, including today's, and not the name of my dad's ipad.

Does itunes have an option to switch user accounts? If so how do you log out one user and switch to another?

Thanks for your help.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
When he connected his ipad to his desktop, itunes(set to auto sync) synced his ipad to the image of my sister's ipad that was already in itunes. Now his ipad appears as my sister's. All his photos have been replaced by the ones from my sister's ipad, the background is different and the apps he had installed are gone.

iTunes won't automatically just restore from anyone's backup. If that were the case, I'd be screwed here at work since I'm constantly syncing other people's devices with my sync machine.

I've synced my iPhone at home (not my sync machine normally) and all iTunes did was put my wife's iTunes account on there. No apps, pictures or anything like that was changed.

When syncing, the iPad won't auto copy the pictures anywhere. You have to move those yourself to the PC/Mac. The pictures are however stored in your iPad's backup, but that won't help you much now.

It sounds like something was done incorrectly when he first plugged it in. Since the iPad was already activated in iTunes, what machine did he sync it to first?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.