Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What will be the camera of your choice?

• Total voters

jborko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Hi everyone,

I recently sold my old photo equipment (20D, 400D with bunch of lenses) and I left only the lenses I care for the most:

EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L and EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro.

I am in the market for new camera, and I have narrowed my choice to the following few:

Canon EOS 5D - used
Canon EOS 60D - new
Canon EOS 7D - used
Canon EOS 5D mark II - have to save few more months for this one
Canon EOS XD - Canon is about to announce something in August but I will need to count with 3-4 months local availability, and I can't wait that long.

I am not professional, rather an advanced amateur, who needs quality gear mostly for portraits + landscape and macro. I can't be long without camera which is why I am leaning toward purchase really soon.

Now before starting debate on specs comparison, I know and understand all about technical differences between the cameras and I am not interested in that.

What I am interested in is what will be your personal preference being in my place and why?

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Personally, I would recommend something with a modern, high-end focus and metering system. That means the 7D or the 60D.

However, those are both crop cameras and aren't ideal choices given you already have the 24-70. You would probably find the wide end limited. However, it seems you've shot with a crop and this lens in the past, so perhaps you're fine with it?

You could replace your 24-70 with a EFS 17-55 IS lens, which would be a better pairing with the 7D/60D and still be a killer kit.

Alternatively, you could add a 17-40L to your kit, but that's not really ideal either as you'll be swapping lenses back and forth a lot, I'm guessing.

So, if you are married to your 24-70, and you want to shoot wide landscapes without adding another lens to your kit, then your only real choice seems to be one of the 5D/5DII. In which case, I would just go with a 5D now, and maybe look at moving to a 5DIII down the road.

jborko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Yeah, you are right. To be honest I had the similar reasoning as yours.

Shooting 24-70 cropped is all-rightish, but I am missing the wide end since I started to extensively use this lens. As of 17-55: I am leaning towards FF, so I if not now, then the next upgrade would be FF for sure, so I don't want to invest in EF-S lenses. So you can say, that I am happily married to the 24-70, as I think that cameras will come and go but good glass will always be good glass. 17-40 is not a bad idea, although that will require some additional investment.

I was considering 60D & 7D mainly for what you were saying (specs - ISO boost, focus and metering), but then again those are only crop...

Let's see what will the others tell.

peanuthead

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
5D and 24-70 is an amazing combo.
If I had to use a crop camera, I'd rather use it with 17-55. That lens is a sharp performer, although pretty shoddy in construction compared to 24-70.

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Mark II

Since you had a 20D, I'll assume you've either had it for a very long time (since you also have nice lenses) or you just havnt had need of a nicer camera. If the first is true, go for the mark II. It will last you.. Well, until it dies. Or you. And you don't ever have to upgrade again ( hypothetically )

It truly is a much better camera than the crop cameras. Low light performance is stellar...

P.s. I covet that macro lens :)

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
Hi everyone,

I recently sold my old photo equipment (20D, 400D with bunch of lenses) and I left only the lenses I care for the most:

EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L and EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro.

I am in the market for new camera, and I have narrowed my choice to the following few:

Canon EOS 5D - used
Canon EOS 60D - new
Canon EOS 7D - used
Canon EOS 5D mark II - have to save few more months for this one
Canon EOS XD - Canon is about to announce something in August but I will need to count with 3-4 months local availability, and I can't wait that long.

I am not professional, rather an advanced amateur, who needs quality gear mostly for portraits + landscape and macro. I can't be long without camera which is why I am leaning toward purchase really soon.

Now before starting debate on specs comparison, I know and understand all about technical differences between the cameras and I am not interested in that.

What I am interested in is what will be your personal preference being in my place and why?

I like my 60D, but it is my first SLR. I bought the 60D to grow into and shoot videos. It is a great all arounder, IMHO. Since you have experience with SLRs, then I would buy the 5D or save for the 5D MKII. Granted you have to buy additional memory cards etc. Your current lens count can sway you either way.

The 60D and 7D would be an upgrade compared to the 20D and 400D in certain categories(blanket statement). But I think if you buy a crop body, then you are stating that the sharper image from a full frame is not a priority. Also, I am assuming that you will not shoot a lot of videos with your next camera. As I stated, I like the 60D, but I am looking forward to shutter counts with a full frame body. I hope this reply wasn't too technical. :D

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
I'd say start saving up for the 5D Mark II. Since you said it will take a couple of months, but the time you have enough money it will likely be after Canon's announcement. Then you can reevaluate your choices, and probably get a 5D Mark II for cheaper (if they announce a Mark III) and an extra lens

jborko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I knew that small brainstorming session can give more ideas.

So right. Video is not priority, and i've been ages with the 20D and 400D as well.

I would also need to rethink about priorities. My experience tells me that time is priceless as well as stopping time in a hundreds of a second. I have my iPhone for now (but I think we can all agree that it is not the best photo tool) and I would like to get back in business as soon as possible.

Mark II is offcourse logical and best choice but that gives me 3 months delay at minimum (loads of missed moments)

60D now can be more compared to the rebel series so that would not be step forward.

7D - awesome but crop

Mark III - too much waiting.

5D - FF, confirmed quality, equal price to new 60D, but pretty old. If I buy one I'll need to replace it with the mark III soon.

5D seems logical choice for now. I'll need to sacrifice low light performance for couple of months, but that will be no difference to 20D.

Nice one. I'll try probably this way, but I'll be glad to hear some more thoughts as I'll need to sleep over this few nights ;)

hitek79

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2011
Lowlight on the 5D blows the 20D so far out of the water it's not even funny.

If you don't need higher end autofocus, 5D is a camera that you can use for a very very long time. No need to upgrade to a 5DIII.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
I have my iPhone for now (but I think we can all agree that it is not the best photo tool) and I would like to get back in business as soon as possible.

I'd actually like to disagree on that one here. If you have your iPhone now, it's definitely worth waiting. I've taken some great photos with it, because it's always on me. Sure it may not be as high quality as the 5D, but it's enough to prevent any missed opportunities until you can upgrade.

padmasana

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2006
I think you've made the right conclusions.
For landscapes and portraits, the 5D classic is great and a real bargain to boot.
If you want to experience a camera with a great feature set (autofocus, user interface, speed) the 7D is wonderful.
Or for the price of a new 5D Mark II, you can have both a used 5D classic and a 7D. This combo works great for me and I've run across a number of photographers who also favor this route.

jborko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Well at this point I don't think full frame or not is the question. It's whether or not to buy the 5D now, or wait and buy the 5D Mark II

Yeah you got it right... Also about the iPhone... I am the one who is always saying that it's not the camera but the person who is taking the shots. In good light conditions even iPhone produces awesome images.

Anyway, I started to search the local adverts and there are not too many 5Ds to be honest... One offer 5 years old with 70K acutations, another 5 years old with 60K... And the price is 800 EUR ~ 1150 USD (body only and original from the box stuff only). What do you think of the price?

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
Get the 5D. Enjoy full frame pairing with that niice lens. I know, I had that lens and loved it till I got hooked on primes. I will be upgrading to a 5D classic here soon for the low light/full frame benefits. Like an above poster said "it will last a very very long time". Just make sure you get one with a semi low shutter count and you are good to go.

For some added fun you should get a fast (shorter focal length like a 50mm) prime that goes to at least 1.4 aperture wide. You'll look at the 5D and cameras in a new light. If you can get a mark2, even more power to you.

Plus man it's a pro camera. You have been limited by lower end cameras, and learned to feel it in your photography. Good light = faster shutter and for portraits and macro.. that is essential without a tripod and still subject.

Get the full frame and don't look back. Even an old model 1D has it's advantages. Big megapixel number isn't everything. Say you were a journalist and needed the .. 45 point autofocus in that camera. You would feel the upgrade and see it in crisper pictures. Get the full frame and it will teach you some new things.. and a wide prime. : )

*Edit. If I was dead set on something new and I just wanted a few new features more than anything, I would get a 60D and a Sigma 50mm prime pairing. 7D is what around 1500? And a 60D body around 7-900 used? You could use the extra money and get a fun low light lens.

Lagmonster

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
Grab a low use 1D original while you save for the 5D II?

My 1D has taken some nice shots printed at 24x36. It still holds up. The 5D II can pretty much see in the dark. I can see it lasting me years and years.

jborko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Hey guys, just wanted to share it with you since you all helped me in the discussion. At the end I went for the 5D Mark II. Just received it today, played around a bit with it and to be honest I could not be happier with my choice...

I found out that I missed this camera for whole my life. Bokeh, details, DoF, low light performance, focus speed (I know its not 7D but its huge difference from the 20D and 400D), mettering is something I'll have to explore but it seems that currently camera is underexposing by 2/3 (might be the UV filter).

Anyway, I feel I am entering into a different level of photography. It's not the camera but the person behind it that takes the photos, but camera is a tool that helps, and 5Dm2 helps a lot.

Thanks again for the discussion, and I am looking forward to some other topic ;)

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
Hey guys, just wanted to share it with you since you all helped me in the discussion. At the end I went for the 5D Mark II. Just received it today, played around a bit with it and to be honest I could not be happier with my choice...

I found out that I missed this camera for whole my life. Bokeh, details, DoF, low light performance, focus speed (I know its not 7D but its huge difference from the 20D and 400D), mettering is something I'll have to explore but it seems that currently camera is underexposing by 2/3 (might be the UV filter).

Anyway, I feel I am entering into a different level of photography. It's not the camera but the person behind it that takes the photos, but camera is a tool that helps, and 5Dm2 helps a lot.

Thanks again for the discussion, and I am looking forward to some other topic ;)

I am happy for you. I have some bills to catch up on before I can save for mine. I was in some tight quarters today with my 50mm prime and was severely wishing I was on a 5D full frame. Also for the low light and focusing extra goodness compared to my 1000D. I need to make friends with someone here in Utah that has one and would let me borrow it. Crops are great but FF has some really good uses.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK

Great choice, but then I am biased! ;) Glad you were able to get it now. Even if you waited for the announcement there'd be a wait, then when a Mark III or whatever comes out it'll be expensive for a while. Better to have a camera like the Mark II when you can just get on and enjoy it. Even when a Mark III or IV comes out, the Mark II will still continue to take beautiful quality photos.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Great choice, but then I am biased! ;) Glad you were able to get it now. Even if you waited for the announcement there'd be a wait, then when a Mark III or whatever comes out it'll be expensive for a while. Better to have a camera like the Mark II when you can just get on and enjoy it. Even when a Mark III or IV comes out, the Mark II will still continue to take beautiful quality photos.

Totally agree with Ish. Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.