PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Tim Cook Spotted at China Mobile's Headquarters?

MacRumors
Jun 22, 2011, 01:21 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/22/apples-tim-cook-spotted-at-china-mobiles-headquarters/)

M.I.C gadget notes (http://micgadget.com/13172/apples-tim-cook-visits-china-mobile-to-discuss-4g-lte-iphone/) that a reporter from Chinese newspaper First Financial Daily reported seeing Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook in the lobby of China Mobile's headquarters earlier today. According to the reporter, who was also able to snap a photo of Cook although it only shows him from the rear:This morning, around 10, Apple COO Tim Cook is spotted in the lobby of China Mobile’s HQ, accompanied by 7-8 people. Probably Cook is talking with executives from China Mobile to discuss bilateral cooperation for the iPhone. Both China and America flags are seen in the lobby, and Cook seems to be happy.China Mobile is far and away the world's largest mobile phone carrier with over 600 million customers, making it a major potential partner for Apple. The carrier has long been interested in offering the iPhone, but Apple has so far been unwilling to build customized hardware capable of running on China Mobile's homegrown TD-SCDMA network standard.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/cook_china_mobile.jpg

Reports (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/19/apple-and-china-mobile-agree-on-4g-technology-for-future-iphone/) last month indicated that Apple and China Mobile had reached or were nearing an agreement that would see a future iPhone developed for the carrier's TD-LTE 4G network. Reports have indicated that the same chips could be used for both LTE and TD-LTE, meaning that Apple could conceivably release a future iPhone capable of running on either standard. Complicating the issue, however, is a lack of full LTE coverage looking out over the next several years, and the consequent difficulties of providing fallback 3G compatibility for different standards.

If Cook is indeed in China talking to executives at China Mobile, it seems likely that significant discussions are underway. While any negotiations of this size would likely take place at the senior executive level, Cook's role as Chief Operating Officer currently in charge of Apple's day-to-day operations in the absence of Steve Jobs would suggest that his direct involvement signals negotiations of the highest importance.

Article Link: Apple's Tim Cook Spotted at China Mobile's Headquarters? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/22/apples-tim-cook-spotted-at-china-mobiles-headquarters/)

zin
Jun 22, 2011, 01:25 PM
If that really is Tim, then that suit really doesn't suit him (provided I'm looking at the right person in the photograph...).

soco
Jun 22, 2011, 01:26 PM
I love the salt & pepper hair :)

cvaldes
Jun 22, 2011, 01:30 PM
If that really is Tim, then that suit really doesn't suit him (provided I'm looking at the right person in the photograph...).
He probably feels that there's some value to showing a modicum of etiquette and respect in terms of business attire when he is overseas and being hosted in a country whose business people typically wear suits.

Note that Steve has been known to show up in attire other than his trademark black mock turtleneck, jeans, and sneakers for situations that call for something else (he wore a tux to the Academy Awards, for example).

Throwing a navy blazer over a pair of khakis is a minimal nod to standard protocol.

Not a big deal.

justinfreid
Jun 22, 2011, 01:38 PM
He probably feels that there's some value to showing a modicum of etiquette and respect in terms of business attire when he is overseas and being hosted in a country whose business people typically wear suits.

Note that Steve has been known to show up in attire other than his trademark black mock turtleneck, jeans, and sneakers for situations that call for something else (he wore a tux to the Academy Awards, for example).

Throwing a navy blazer over a pair of khakis is a minimal nod to standard protocol.

Not a big deal.

I agree with your wardrobe analysis here and I'm inclined to believe that looks like the back of Mr. Cook's head and thusly that we'll see a China Mobile compatible iPhone sooner than later.

gerhardb
Jun 22, 2011, 01:39 PM
No, this is George Clooney's Back!

igazza
Jun 22, 2011, 01:54 PM
600 million customers, thats mad

42streetsdown
Jun 22, 2011, 01:58 PM
i don't see him

qtx43
Jun 22, 2011, 01:58 PM
I imagine he does go visit China once in a while, if for no other reason than to visit Foxconn factories. If he's going to spend all day on an airplane, he's going to take the opportunity to visit other big players too. So, this says pretty much nothing about how far along Apple's plans are with China Mobile. But it is kind of a fun news item in a voyeuristic sort of way.

Constable Odo
Jun 22, 2011, 02:00 PM
Woohoo! Bring it on. Apple/Foxconn better build more Brazilian-based factories just to barely keep up with demand.

cvaldes
Jun 22, 2011, 02:03 PM
I imagine he does go visit China once in a while, if for no other reason than to visit Foxconn factories. If he's going to spend all day on an airplane, he's going to take the opportunity to visit other big players too. So, this says pretty much nothing about how far along Apple's plans are with China Mobile. But it is kind of a fun news item in a voyeuristic sort of way.
My guess is that when Tim Cook travels, he has very specific reasons, agendas, and meeting topics.

Based on his working style, it is unlikely that he would just drop in on big players, just to say "hi" or to justify his time in the air.

He is in that building to talk about something specific.

Doctor Q
Jun 22, 2011, 02:05 PM
If Cook is indeed in China talking to executives at China Mobile, it seems likely that significant discussions are underway. While any negotiations of this size would likely take place at the senior executive level, Cook's role as Chief Operating Officer currently in charge of Apple's day-to-day operations in the absence of Steve Jobs would suggest that his direct involvement signals negotiations of the highest importance.
Whether it has a high importance or not, it could also suggest that Apple has cultural sensitivity and sent the COO to show appropriate respect for China Mobile executives at the same level. In which case this could be an introduction to talks, not the completion of a deal.

CousinCocaine
Jun 22, 2011, 02:11 PM
They indeed need iPhone4's in China. Then at least the photo's are better than this one!

Thunderhawks
Jun 22, 2011, 02:14 PM
600 million customers, thats mad

And they are making more every day.

as for :

"it seems likely that significant discussions are underway."

Duh, he is not going there for Chinese food.

qtx43
Jun 22, 2011, 02:20 PM
My guess is that when Tim Cook travels, he has very specific reasons, agendas, and meeting topics.

Based on his working style, it is unlikely that he would just drop in on big players, just to say "hi" or to justify his time in the air.

He is in that building to talk about something specific.Of course he's going to have specific agendas. And of course Apple is talking to China Mobile about something specific. But yes, he does have to 'justify' his time in the air. When you spend 12 hours in the air each way, or whatever it is, you're going to cram in as much useful work as you can. He's not going to fly there every week and make special trips for each different business they're dealing with. Don't undervalue seeing people and places in person, as good as technology is getting, it's still the most useful.

acslater017
Jun 22, 2011, 02:43 PM
No, this is George Clooney's Back!

Finally, ER is coming to iTunes!! ;)

Wurm5150
Jun 22, 2011, 02:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would customize the **** out of anything for 600M potential customers.. I don't know why Apple would even hesitate..

aristotle
Jun 22, 2011, 02:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would customize the **** out of anything for 600M potential customers.. I don't know why Apple would even hesitate..
Margins. Apple is not interested in "making it up on volume". They leave the loss leaders and razor thin margins to the other guys.

Macopotamus
Jun 22, 2011, 02:58 PM

tim is on the far right with the white jacket and long black hair

Consultant
Jun 22, 2011, 02:59 PM
600M more potential customers (well, maybe top few percent of that)? Make it so.

Lol mic gadget thinks US = America.

hglk
Jun 22, 2011, 03:08 PM
Look!! I found him too!!!!!!

SmileyBlast!
Jun 22, 2011, 03:17 PM
Is Android already available with China Mobile? Apple needs to make this deal happen to stay competitive. Could mean huge new sales numbers from the App. Stores.

gibstros
Jun 22, 2011, 03:17 PM
What I don't get is where are his companions? The acting CEO of Apple travels alone and carries his own luggage? Maybe the guy next to him is an interpreter, but still, Cook has to carry his own luggage? I bet Steve doesn't carry his own luggage.

ULFoaf
Jun 22, 2011, 03:19 PM
Seen better pictures of Bigfoot.

nwcs
Jun 22, 2011, 03:21 PM
I think I saw Elvis back there.

AidenShaw
Jun 22, 2011, 03:25 PM
Are we replacing hero worship of Jobs with worshipping Cook? (http://asocialoutlet.com/2011/04/13/apple-boss-tim-cook-tops-outs-annual-power-50/)

http://advocate.com/uploadedImages/ADVOCATE/NEWS/2011/2011-01/2011-01-20/Cook.jpg

Apple is a company with products - look at the products, not the humans running the company.

Mr. Gates
Jun 22, 2011, 03:27 PM

Found him

maclaptop
Jun 22, 2011, 03:27 PM
And they are making more every day.

as for :

"it seems likely that significant discussions are underway."

Duh, he is not going there for Chinese food.

Nor did he go there to have the fanboys critique his attire.

Sometimes this forum is so funny, I simply can't stop laughing. It's so hilarious to read what people reveal about themselves.

stridemat
Jun 22, 2011, 03:29 PM
Might be time to re-look at that Apple stock. If an iPhone is released in China, suddenly Apple have access to 600 million more people. Look at how well the Chinese Apple stores are doing already.

ForzaJuve
Jun 22, 2011, 03:29 PM
Seen better pictures of Bigfoot.

Seen better pictures of leaked iPhone 5. I suppose if it was a clear picture taken with a high res. camera no one would believe it.

Bonch
Jun 22, 2011, 03:30 PM
Apple is a company with products - look at the products, not the humans running the company.

What a strange thing to say.

cvaldes
Jun 22, 2011, 03:31 PM
What I don't get is where are his companions? The acting CEO of Apple travels alone and carries his own luggage? Maybe the guy next to him is an interpreter, but still, Cook has to carry his own luggage? I bet Steve doesn't carry his own luggage.
The article states there are 7-8 people in his entourage, so they're probably out of the frame, perhaps behind him which would be the normal place for subordinates in terms of typical business protocol.

Tim's probably carrying his own briefcase -- not luggage, which would remain in the limo. He's probably pragmatic enough to believe that he'll know if he has his stuff if it's in his hands. Give it to someone else, and he'll be worrying about it more, not less.

Another possibility is the bag contains a gift for Cook's peer at China Mobile. Again, standard protocol would be for Cook to give the gift directly to that person, rather than have it handed to him from some lackey.

Jun 22, 2011, 03:32 PM
Might be time to re-look at that Apple stock. If an iPhone is released in China, suddenly Apple have access to 600 million more people. Look at how well the Chinese Apple stores are doing already.

Just imagine, 600 million people forming a line in front of the Apple Stores in China on launch day .... (they probably could form a line going forth and back between the two China Apple Stores)

jonnysods
Jun 22, 2011, 03:49 PM
Wow, you really have to be on the lookout these days, never know who you are going to see walking into a big Chinese Telecom company.

bigrash
Jun 22, 2011, 03:57 PM
Come down people, he was only there to use the restroom. This has nothing to do with the iphone.

rdowns
Jun 22, 2011, 04:00 PM
Are we replacing hero worship of Jobs with worshipping Cook? (http://asocialoutlet.com/2011/04/13/apple-boss-tim-cook-tops-outs-annual-power-50/)

Image (http://advocate.com/uploadedImages/ADVOCATE/NEWS/2011/2011-01/2011-01-20/Cook.jpg)

Apple is a company that happens to have a few larger than life type executives. Deal with it. Your obsession with having to bash the company in every post is silly.

LeCorsaire
Jun 22, 2011, 04:16 PM

He has to. There is an brand new IPhone 5 in the bag.

abz1981
Jun 22, 2011, 04:16 PM
my bet its george clooney too lol

macrumorsuser10
Jun 22, 2011, 04:22 PM

Not a big deal.

Let's talk style. I work in a large software engineering company and want to up my game by buying my first blazer.

What's the difference between a sportscoat and a blazer?

Is there a difference between a black blazer and a navy blue blazer? Is black more formal?

How many buttons should I get?

Can I wear any colour shirt and khakis with a blazer?

Can I wear a polo shirt, or do I have to go with a button-down?

Thanks.

pinwanger
Jun 22, 2011, 04:37 PM
Is Android already available with China Mobile? Apple needs to make this deal happen to stay competitive. Could mean huge new sales numbers from the App. Stores.

wut ru smoking, china will have the biggest jailbreak community. no $ for apple.

Bubba Satori
Jun 22, 2011, 04:42 PM

Image (http://advocate.com/uploadedImages/ADVOCATE/NEWS/2011/2011-01/2011-01-20/Cook.jpg)

Yep. Cult of personality. Scary.
Great song, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xxgRUyzgs0

Lesser Evets
That's definitely T. Cook, and that's Barack Obama walking next to him.

Let's get real: NO ONE wears a suit or tie at APPLE. NO ONE. NO ONE even wears a sports coat. NO ONE!

http://www.sadanduseless.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/bowtie.jpg

...oh.

Lennholm

Not a big deal.

I never understood why a piece of clothing that was developed because some english king wanted a dress (with accompanying hankerchief hanging under the neck and all) for casual dinner get-togethers became the universal formal business attire around the globe. When are blue jeans, sneakers and turtlenecks going to become the new formal business attire?

cvaldes
Jun 22, 2011, 04:43 PM
Let's talk style. I work in a large software engineering company and want to up my game by buying my first blazer.
You should read this first:

http://koniaris.com/dress/

You're welcome.

I never understood why a piece of clothing that was developed because some english king wanted a dress (with accompanying hankerchief hanging under the neck and all) for casual dinner get-togethers became the universal formal business attire around the globe. When are blue jeans, sneakers and turtlenecks going to become the new formal business attire?
Do not try to apply logic or reason to fashion.

Adidas Addict
Jun 22, 2011, 04:44 PM

Yes they do, here's the handset page for China Mobile:

http://phone.10086.cn/

Lennholm
Jun 22, 2011, 04:47 PM
wut ru smoking, china will have the biggest jailbreak community. no $ for apple.

You can jailbreak a free iPhone into existance!?

ratzzo
Jun 22, 2011, 05:01 PM
Could be anyone...

Ping Guo
Jun 22, 2011, 05:03 PM

The iPhone was officially released on the China Unicom network in September 2010.

As far as 600 million potential customers, for the potential to be there then they must be able to afford the phone. Since customers must pay the full, unsubsidized price upfront, it's not likely that more than a small fraction of this base would be able to afford an iPhone. Furthermore, Chinese consumer spending has been fading from the glory days a few years back. Rapidly inflating food and commodity prices have compelled Chinese consumers to change their spending habits.

Cheerwino
Jun 22, 2011, 05:05 PM
Oh, now I see him, just past the grassy knoll...

Cheerwino
Jun 22, 2011, 05:20 PM
Just imagine, 600 million people forming a line in front of the Apple Stores in China on launch day .... (they probably could form a line going forth and back between the two China Apple Stores)

And the line would become so long, children would have get in line as infants so they would have an iPhone in time for college, grandparents would deed their place in line to their great-grandchildren, generations of people would be born, grow and die while in line...

winston1236
Jun 22, 2011, 05:44 PM
and he wants to know about the leaky problem o.O

caccamolle
Jun 22, 2011, 06:33 PM
OMG OMG OMG OMG they spotted him !!!! OMG

reden
Jun 22, 2011, 07:56 PM
That's definitely T. Cook, and that's Barack Obama walking next to him.

Let's get real: NO ONE wears a suit or tie at APPLE. NO ONE. NO ONE even wears a sports coat. NO ONE!

Image (http://www.sadanduseless.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/bowtie.jpg)

...oh.

You're so weird dude.

GregAndonian
Jun 22, 2011, 08:20 PM
He went to China to escape the FCPX firestorm. ;)

pavers
Jun 22, 2011, 08:51 PM
more Apple stores in China, strong demand of iProducts in China, they buy iPad & iPhone from overseas before official launch in China, this is why short supply all over the world when they just come out of the market.

thelookingglass
Jun 22, 2011, 09:05 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; zh-cn) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

more Apple stores in China, strong demand of iProducts in China, they buy iPad & iPhone from overseas before official launch in China, this is why short supply all over the world when they just come out of the market.

Whoa there. Let's not get carried away. The short supply more likely has to do with strong demand EVERYWHERE, not just in China. Considering the price of iPhones relative to average salaries and availability on one carrier only (and not the largest carrier at that) in China, pretty tough to say China is in itself causing a global shortage.

caccamolle
Jun 23, 2011, 01:34 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; zh-cn) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Whoa there. Let's not get carried away. The short supply more likely has to do with strong demand EVERYWHERE, not just in China. Considering the price of iPhones relative to average salaries and availability on one carrier only (and not the largest carrier at that) in China, pretty tough to say China is in itself causing a global shortage.

China is causing a shortage of everything on this planet.

Les Kern
Jun 23, 2011, 07:03 AM
I don't give a rats ass what China does or what Apple does there. It's not like iPhones are made in the USA and this will be GOOD for us. So he can suck all the Mr. Wang's he wants, but he'd better know one thing: China doesn't fight fair, and we help them. So ****** it.

Les Kern
Jun 23, 2011, 07:07 AM
China is causing a shortage of everything on this planet.

Exactly, and we are now exporting less and less finished goods, and more of our resources.

thelookingglass
Jun 23, 2011, 07:16 AM
I don't give a rats ass what China does or what Apple does there. It's not like iPhones are made in the USA and this will be GOOD for us. So he can suck all the Mr. Wang's he wants, but he'd better know one thing: China doesn't fight fair, and we help them. So ****** it.

Wow. And we wonder why people say the US in decline. I'm still trying to make sense of what you just said.

Adidas Addict
Jun 23, 2011, 08:52 AM
All of this will seem irrelevant in 20 years when the USA as you know it becomes another province of China.

axual
Jun 23, 2011, 09:24 AM
There's a billion camera's in China ... and this is the best photo available?:cool: