PDA

View Full Version : wanted free simple dvd ripper

codman1004
Jun 22, 2011, 03:40 PM
I have a ibook G4 that I would like to give to my brother. He watches some of my old rescue hereos dvds. I would like to rip them on to the ibook as a .dvdmedia So He can double click and watch. I have found one that does this, its called rip it but it only has ten free trys. Is there another simple dvd ripper like it or am I just out of luck with the mac ppc processor. Google has failed me with lots of free trails and junk. Thanks a bunch.

AdrianK
Jun 22, 2011, 03:44 PM
I would have suggested MakeMKV but that's x86 only :(

OSEx will work, but it's a bit tricky. My suggestion would be to just buy RipIt.

codman1004
Jun 22, 2011, 03:47 PM

OSEx will work, but it's a bit tricky. My suggestion would be to just buy RipIt.

I might have to I'm looking in to OSEx. It just crashed on me so who knows...

codman1004
Jun 22, 2011, 03:52 PM

Well OSEx keeps crashing. IsOSEx ment for tiger or lepord. im guessing tiger becuase im running lepord or something along that line

stroked
Jun 22, 2011, 04:02 PM
I use mactheripper on my Powermac G4, and it it free.

Are you using the original HDD? If you are, it will not hold many movies.

codman1004
Jun 22, 2011, 04:04 PM
I use mactheripper on my Powermac G4, and it it free.

Are you using the original HDD? If you are, it will not hold many movies.

2.0TB external harddrive Ive tried mac the ripper but do I need a secondary convertor or soething to copy the .vob files to .dvdmedia

AdrianK
Jun 22, 2011, 04:46 PM
2.0TB external harddrive Ive tried mac the ripper but do I need a secondary convertor or soething to copy the .vob files to .dvdmedia

AFAICR .dvdmedia is just the folder containing AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS, with a name and ".dvdmedia" extension.

VanneDC
Jun 22, 2011, 05:28 PM
amazed no one has mentioned "Handbrake"....
http://handbrake.fr/
get it NOW! its free...

adcx64
Jun 22, 2011, 05:59 PM
amazed no one has mentioned "Handbrake"....
http://handbrake.fr/
get it NOW! its free...

I was thinking the same thing!

codman1004
Jun 22, 2011, 06:29 PM
I was thinking the same thing!

I have looked into handbrake and its giving me a error saying vlc 32 bit isn't instaled when it is instaled. Any ideas?

stroked
Jun 22, 2011, 06:44 PM
nevermind

VanneDC
Jun 22, 2011, 08:53 PM
yep, you need the ppc 32 bit version of vlc to use handbrake...
do a search for vlc ppc 32 bit... on google id recon.

cheers

dontwalkhand
Jun 23, 2011, 12:11 AM
Handbrake plus previous version of VLC works great. The new VLC is 64 bit and will not work with the Handbrake for PowerPC Macs.

AdrianK
Jun 23, 2011, 01:34 AM
amazed no one has mentioned "Handbrake"

Maybe because that's not what the OP asked for...? They said they wanted to rip DVDs (which they're already doing), not encode them.

840quadra
Jun 23, 2011, 04:01 AM
What settings are you using for OSEx ?

Open up 0SEx. Under Ti[tle] select the title you want. If its the main feature, it'll be the long one. Under Ch[apter] select the chapters you want. Usually it is all of them, unless there are short little ones at the end; deselect those. Under An[gle] Select the first angle (If there are more than one). Under Vid[eo] select the 1st, if there are more than one. Under Audio, select the English surround sound .ac3 track. (Unless you want some other language/sampling. But... Be Careful!! Many times, the 2ch sound for English is directors commentary) Under Fmt (Format) select Elementary Streams, and under Seg[ment] choose title. Click begin, select a destination with plenty of HD space, and let it sit for about 30 minutes working its magic.

I have been using this program exclusively for years on both my PowerPC and Intel Macs. Rarely have issues, but I do sometimes have to tweak the settings from what is outlined here.

cocacolakid
Jun 23, 2011, 07:55 PM
Maybe because that's not what the OP asked for...? They said they wanted to rip DVDs (which they're already doing), not encode them.

OP asked for a converter also...

zen.state
Jun 23, 2011, 08:34 PM
I have a ibook G4 that I would like to give to my brother. He watches some of my old rescue hereos dvds. I would like to rip them on to the ibook as a .dvdmedia So He can double click and watch. I have found one that does this, its called rip it but it only has ten free trys. Is there another simple dvd ripper like it or am I just out of luck with the mac ppc processor. Google has failed me with lots of free trails and junk. Thanks a bunch.

Best thing for you to do that will also perform very well on the iBook is use hardbrake to rip the DVD's to DivX. Any mid range quality setting will be fine. I have never seen a DivX file that won't play even on a G4 500.

What MHz is the iBook BTW?

codman1004
Jun 26, 2011, 01:46 PM
Best thing for you to do that will also perform very well on the iBook is use hardbrake to rip the DVD's to DivX. Any mid range quality setting will be fine. I have never seen a DivX file that won't play even on a G4 500.

What MHz is the iBook BTW?

!.2GHz, Could I use mtr than create a file with a .dvdmedia extentioion to put the vieo and audio ts folders in? Will this work?

AdrianK
Jun 26, 2011, 03:32 PM
Well OSEx keeps crashing. IsOSEx ment for tiger or lepord. im guessing tiger becuase im running lepord or something along that line
I run OSEx under Snow Leopard with no issues. Are there any crash logs?

OP asked for a converter also...
No. They asked if they needed a converter to get VOB in DVDMEDIA. This is entirely different from encoding content with a different codec.

!.2GHz, Could I use mtr than create a file with a .dvdmedia extentioion to put the vieo and audio ts folders in? Will this work?
I believe MTR spits out a VIDEO_TS folder, so you just need to add an empty AUDIO_TS folder inside and name the folder that V/TS and A/TS are in to 'folder_name.dvdmedia'.