PDA

View Full Version : Will a dell keyboard work on a mac G5 tower

codman1004
Jun 22, 2011, 04:20 PM
Will a dell keyboard work on a mac tower?
Thanks

cluthz
Jun 22, 2011, 04:23 PM
Will a dell keyboard work on a mac tower?
Thanks

If it is USB, yes, but some buttons might be a bit problematic

codman1004
Jun 22, 2011, 04:26 PM
If it is USB, yes, but some buttons might be a bit problematic

What do you mean by problamatic. Just touchy or like while your typing ranodm letters apear.

MagicBoy
Jun 22, 2011, 04:35 PM
The number and layout of the keys is slightly different, mainly the symbols. Also no dedicated eject key.

Bloodstar
Jun 22, 2011, 04:37 PM
You might have a bit of trouble with the three bottom modifier keys (ctrl, command, alt/option) until you adjust.

I believe ctrl and alt are the same (haven't had my G5 set up for a while), but the Windows key on these keyboards will act as the Command key on OS X. Aside from this, you shouldn't have any issues.

codman1004
Jun 22, 2011, 06:31 PM
You might have a bit of trouble with the three bottom modifier keys (ctrl, command, alt/option) until you adjust.

I believe ctrl and alt are the same (haven't had my G5 set up for a while), but the Windows key on these keyboards will act as the Command key on OS X. Aside from this, you shouldn't have any issues.

Thanks
I have to wait for a dvi to vga adapter in the mail. Comming from hong kong, its been 2 weeks so it should be here soon

adcx64
Jun 22, 2011, 08:06 PM
i suggest looking for any Apple USB keyboards on eBay. This way, you'll get the volume controls etc.

dontwalkhand
Jun 23, 2011, 12:10 AM
I am currently using an MS keyboard to type this message to you guys right now on a G5.

The following keys work fine:
Volume Up/Down
Play/Pause
Stop
Skip Forward
Skip Backward
Command is Windows Key
Option is Alt Key
Control is Control Key

The following keys have no effect:
Context Menu Key
Customizable Keys such as Favorites, My Docs, My Pictures etc. (I am sure that the MS software CD that says it works with Macs will enable this functionality somehow, but I don't need it).