PDA

View Full Version : Existing Verizon Customers Can Keep Their Unlimited Plans

MacRumors
Jun 22, 2011, 06:14 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/22/existing-verizon-customers-can-keep-their-unlimited-plans/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/verizonlogo.jpg

(http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/verizonlogo.jpg)
AndroidCentral (http://www.androidcentral.com/verizons-new-data-plans-broken-down-complete-detail) provides details of Verizon's plans to eliminate their unlimited data plans as of July 7th. As previously reported (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/20/verizon-dropping-unlimited-data-plan-next-month/), Verizon will be doing away with their unlimited $29.99 plan that is presently available for smartphones and replacing it with a tiered plan. Like AT&T, however, they will be grandfathering in existing customers so they will continue to be able to use the unlimited plan: If you have Verizon's $29.99 unlimited data plan, you'll be able to keep it after July 7.
You'll also be able to keep the $29.99 unlimited plan when you upgrade to a new phone. (No word on if there's a pricing difference or when that policy could change.)
If you add a line to an existing account, you'll not be able to chose the $29.99 unlimited data plan.
If you're a new customer between now and July 7, you'll still be able to choose the $29.99 plan.This grandfathering also applies to future upgrades, so existing iPhone 4 Verizon customers will be able to retain their unlimited plan if they upgrade to the iPhone 5 when it is released.

Article Link: Existing Verizon Customers Can Keep Their Unlimited Plans (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/22/existing-verizon-customers-can-keep-their-unlimited-plans/)

chrmjenkins
Jun 22, 2011, 06:18 PM
Monkey see, monkey do.

I still have unlimited under AT&T. If they boot that plan when they launch LTE, I have no incentive to stay with them.

ECUpirate44
Jun 22, 2011, 06:23 PM
So glad I got the iPhone 4 when I did. Looks like ill upgrade again in 2 years and get the LTE iPhone. Hopefully by then, my area will be covered.

asdf542
Jun 22, 2011, 06:30 PM
Will the old unlimited plan include 4G data? Will the new $30 2GB plan include 4G data?

adamoadam
Jun 22, 2011, 07:40 PM
People that plan to upgrade still get to keep their unlimited? Didn't think they do that. I guess the only people who get the raw end of the deal are people getting smartphones after July 7th. The cheapest data plan better be cheaper than the rumored $30 for 2gigs.

I'm thinking Verizon has another trick to separate people from their existing unlimited data.

jackhdev
Jun 22, 2011, 08:01 PM
Well, isn't it expected that they'll let the millions and millions of people who have the unlimited data plan keep it? If they kick you off the unlimited plan, then you don't have to pay the early termination fee and could leave your contract early.

Doctor Q
Jun 22, 2011, 08:06 PM
I can lock in $30 for unlimited now, or settle for 2GB for $30 / 5GB for $50 / 10GB for $80? Doesn't seem like a hard decision.

Only those with modest requirements would be better off with the $10 (75MB) plan or pay as you go.

clibinarius
Jun 22, 2011, 08:20 PM
I was holding off for the Galaxy S II or iPhone 5-whichever I preferred when both out-but I felt compelled to buy a phone now. I just picked up a no contract Palm Pixi. It stinks, but its $50 and will allow me to enroll into a 3G contract...

A No Contract iPhone 4? Much more expensive, and I feel I can wait. I already have a gen 4 ipod, so why get an iphone 4?

toddybody
Jun 22, 2011, 08:29 PM
How generous of them...

1986alexander
Jun 22, 2011, 09:09 PM
AT&T had unlimited data for 3 years for a 100% of iPhone users, in top of all others smartphone users and Verizon gets the iPhone 5 months ago and already about to droop the unlimited data. Like for real? And than they'll be complaining why they are not selling that many iPhones.
I guess they are not that good in marketing.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 22, 2011, 09:42 PM
I can lock in $30 for unlimited now, or settle for 2GB for $30 / 5GB for $50 / 10GB for $80? Doesn't seem like a hard decision.

Only those with modest requirements would be better off with the $10 (75MB) plan or pay as you go.

Verzion "teir" data sucks. AT&T is by far better and AT&T at least provided encouragement for people to switch off unlimited.
Going down to 2 gigs nets you 60 bucks a year. For the low users they could cut their data bill in 1/2. I know quite a few people who jumped at the change to cut their their data bill in 1/2 because they used less than a 100 megs a month and felt like they were getting the short end of the stick having to support the 10+ gigs users.

If on a high month you use 1.5 gigs then dropping down to the 2 gig plan on AT&T is well worth it because even on a high use month you still have 500 megs of free data left to use.

MacFan1701
Jun 22, 2011, 10:26 PM
Can I get grandfathered in if I get an unlimited data plan on a feature phone and when it comes time to renew my contract (after 7/7/11) upgrade to a smartphone? Would that grandfather me into unlimited on the smartphone? I've heard from several sources and some say that I can and others say that I cant....

jackhdev
Jun 22, 2011, 10:34 PM
I agree that tier pricing is good in some cases. However, it's pointless if the carrier, specifically AT&T, doesn't allow you to get more than 2 GBs per month. What about the "10 GB per month people" who had an unlimited plan? They're supposed to use 1/5 of the data they were previously using for pretty much the same price? I don't see why AT&T doesn't offer more data for a higher price, instead of the ridiculous overcharge fees excuse. For example, 4 GB for $35 (no tethering), or 7 GB for $65, etc.

1986alexander
Jun 22, 2011, 10:43 PM
Can I get grandfathered in if I get an unlimited data plan on a feature phone and when it comes time to renew my contract (after 7/7/11) upgrade to a smartphone? Would that grandfather me into unlimited on the smartphone? I've heard from several sources and some say that I can and others say that I cant....

The only thing you can do is get a smartphone before July 7 and than you'll be allow it.
Most of feature phone charge like 10 bucks for unlimited data. So you could see that they won't allow you to carry the unlimited from a no smartphone

MacFan1701
Jun 22, 2011, 10:52 PM
The only thing you can do is get a smartphone before July 7 and than you'll be allow it.
Most of feature phone charge like 10 bucks for unlimited data. So you could see that they won't allow you to carry the unlimited from a no smartphone

Oh? I thought unlimited was $30 regardless. And what throws me off is that some sources say I can get grandfathered in from a feature phone and others say I can't :/

ten-oak-druid
Jun 22, 2011, 11:20 PM
LOL

So much for the old "competition is good" garbage.

I think instead of the customers saying that, the corporations are saying "price fixing is good". (referring to neither company trying to outdo the other).

1986alexander
Jun 22, 2011, 11:23 PM
Oh? I thought unlimited was $30 regardless. And what throws me off is that some sources say I can get grandfathered in from a feature phone and others say I can't :/

No you can not

Grandfathered is allow just to smartphone users.

Feature always going be the same.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 22, 2011, 11:29 PM
I have a proposal for the mobile carriers.

Since I have to pay for a 10GB plan because I occasionally go over 200MB but never use even close to 1GB of data, how about throwing in 10 to 20 free text messages? You'd be still ripping me off. We all know those text messages cost a fraction of a cent so you really aren't losing any money by pretending to care. You'd appear to be thieves who care.

How about 1 text message = 500MB of my data? Deal?

BigDukeSix
Jun 23, 2011, 12:04 AM
Gawd, I do not want to pay $30/mo just so I can have an IPhone. I will never come close to using the allowable data. VZ is really pissing me off.

Here is a link to the full chart from Verizon showing the options. Sorry it is on the android website.

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizons-new-data-plans-broken-down-complete-detail

Jerome Morrow
Jun 23, 2011, 02:52 AM

Absurd pricing anyway.

scootaru
Jun 23, 2011, 09:05 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I called last night, added a new line with an old phone I have, and added unlimited data. Sales rep was unaware of any add a line unlimited data restriction. And since I am using an old phone, I am contract free and can upgrade any time.

njaremka
Jun 23, 2011, 09:43 AM
wow, talk about screwing over new customers. i'm glad i got our iphone 4 before this came around. anyone holding out for an iphone 5 would be wise to get an iphone 4 NOW to avoid the outrageous data pricing.

griz
Jun 23, 2011, 09:55 AM
I certainly hope so. I just bought an iPhone4 for just that reason. I'd be PO'd beyond belief if I bought the iPhone 4 now and didn't get Unlimited for at least the next 2 years. I'll be fine if I'm forced out when I buy my iPhone 7 in 2013.
But if I could have waited until Sep for the iPhone5 I would have. But Unlimited is just too good a deal now to pass up.

BigDukeSix
Jun 23, 2011, 10:28 AM
I certainly hope so. I just bought an iPhone4 for just that reason. I'd be PO'd beyond belief if I bought the iPhone 4 now and didn't get Unlimited for at least the next 2 years. I'll be fine if I'm forced out when I buy my iPhone 7 in 2013.
But if I could have waited until Sep for the iPhone5 I would have. But Unlimited is just too good a deal now to pass up.

I am coming to the conclusion that I better get my IPhone 4 now, and unlimited data, even if I will NEVER come close to using even 2G per month. I just pisses me off that they could not come up with something better, especially for folks who have family plans with multiple lines. I really hate giving them $60/mo for two line for two IPhones. But, like you said, at least when the 7 comes out I will still be unlimited. I am actually even thinking that maybe I will turn on the unlimited data, and then wait for the 5 to come out since I am past contract on the LG feature phone.

Elixer
Jun 23, 2011, 11:02 AM
I have an LG Dare right now, I really want to wait till the iPhone 5 comes out to upgrade. I don't have a data plan now but I hope I can add the $30 unlimited to it so I can upgrade to the iPhone 5 with it. If not I might have to go for the iPhone 4.

Also I don't think I'll touch 2GB but I will definitely use more than 75MB... It would be nice if it was like 500 MB for $10.

griz
Jun 23, 2011, 11:18 AM
I am coming to the conclusion that I better get my IPhone 4 now, and unlimited data, even if I will NEVER come close to using even 2G per month. I just pisses me off that they could not come up with something better, especially for folks who have family plans with multiple lines. I really hate giving them $60/mo for two line for two IPhones. But, like you said, at least when the 7 comes out I will still be unlimited. I am actually even thinking that maybe I will turn on the unlimited data, and then wait for the 5 to come out since I am past contract on the LG feature phone.

I did read one rumor that said data would be sharable in a family plan. Probably why the unlimited option was removed. Can't have more than 1 user sharing an unlimited plan for $30. They would be hurting. But if people pay $50 for 5GB, that's 2.5GB each and cheaper than paying $30 x 2phones.

In my case, my wife is not interested in a smartphone, so I'm just paying for one line of data. Also get her state employee discount of 20% so that's a great deal.

bad03xtreme
Jun 23, 2011, 11:33 AM
Now I really don't know what to do, I am on Verizon and my contract has been up for months. I plan on getting the new iPhone in Sept. but don't know if I will need an unlimited data plan? :confused:

MacFan1701
Jun 23, 2011, 12:52 PM
I have an LG Dare right now, I really want to wait till the iPhone 5 comes out to upgrade. I don't have a data plan now but I hope I can add the $30 unlimited to it so I can upgrade to the iPhone 5 with it. If not I might have to go for the iPhone 4.

I'm in the same boat and having the same thoughts. The only difference is I have a Samsung Alias 2 and not an LG Dare. Can anyone clear this up for us?

Jbones4710
Jun 23, 2011, 01:11 PM
Just for my own clarification and peace of mind, I (unfortunately) got a droid eris a couple of Christmas' ago. Pretty bad experience with android, and ever since the iPhone came to verizon I have been itching to get one. However, I knew that the next gen was going to come out around when my 2 year contract was up, so I could get the new one. I have a unlimited data plan now, so I should be good to go when the next iPhone comes out, right? Or is my life going to be ruined by only 2GBs of data a month?

chrmjenkins
Jun 23, 2011, 01:22 PM
Just for my own clarification and peace of mind, I (unfortunately) got a droid eris a couple of Christmas' ago. Pretty bad experience with android, and ever since the iPhone came to verizon I have been itching to get one. However, I knew that the next gen was going to come out around when my 2 year contract was up, so I could get the new one. I have a unlimited data plan now, so I should be good to go when the next iPhone comes out, right? Or is my life going to be ruined by only 2GBs of data a month?

Existing users will be able to upgrade after the July date and still keep their unlimited plans.

BigDukeSix
Jun 23, 2011, 02:49 PM
I am going to cave and get signed up for the current unlimited plan, even though I won't use nearly enough data and hate to pay for what I don't use. But, they did say as long as I sign up NLT 6 July, and even if I do not purchase my new phone till after, I will at least be locked in for the foreseeable future.

BigDukeSix
Jun 23, 2011, 02:58 PM
I did read one rumor that said data would be sharable in a family plan. Probably why the unlimited option was removed. Can't have more than 1 user sharing an unlimited plan for $30. They would be hurting. But if people pay $50 for 5GB, that's 2.5GB each and cheaper than paying $30 x 2phones.

In my case, my wife is not interested in a smartphone, so I'm just paying for one line of data. Also get her state employee discount of 20% so that's a great deal.

If the data plan could be shared in the family plan, that would be incredible. But, I have not heard any factual information in that regard.

sdmac
Jun 24, 2011, 11:35 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I called last night, added a new line with an old phone I have, and added unlimited data. Sales rep was unaware of any add a line unlimited data restriction. And since I am using an old phone, I am contract free and can upgrade any time.

That is good to hear. I just left a verizon store and inquired about bringing my own phones over to Verizon (I want to wait for the Iphone 5 to get the subsidized pricing) and getting the unlimited data plan. They said sure no problem. However, you will be month to month and when you upgrade to the Iphone 5 you will no longer be eligible for the unlimited data??? The grandfather clause only works for Verizon customers who are under contract (according to the rep at Verizon) I left right away and called customer service. Customer service informed me that they could no speculate on what was going to happen in the future with the data plans??

So If i go in with an old phone next week I can get unlimited data. However, they are saying it will be taken away if i enter into a contract in Sept/Oct when I purchase a new phone and I will be required to get one of the tiered pricing plans??

BigDukeSix
Jun 24, 2011, 11:44 AM
That is good to hear. I am currently an ATT Iphone user but want to switch to Verizon before they yank the unlimited. I just left a verizon store and inquired about bringing my own phones over to Verizon (I want to wait for the Iphone 5 to get the subsidized pricing) and getting the unlimited data plan. They said sure no problem. However, you will be month to month and when you upgrade to the Iphone 5 you will no longer be eligible for the unlimited data??? The grandfather clause only works for Verizon customers who are under contract (according to the rep at Verizon) I left right away and called customer service. Customer service informed me that they could no speculate on what was going to happen in the future with the data plans??

So If i go in with an old phone next week I can get unlimited data. However, they are saying it will be taken away if i enter into a contract in Sept/Oct when I purchase a new phone and I will be required to get one of the tiered pricing plans??

Your ATT Iphone will not work on VZ's network. GSM vs CDMA. So, if you start up with VZ by the 6th, you will be under contract and can get the unlimited data plan for the next two years at least. Although, it does seem that VZ retools their data plan charges about every 6 months, and I would think they if they come out with something better you could change if you chose.

c-ker
Jun 24, 2011, 12:14 PM
Nice that we VZW iPhoners get to keep the unlimited plan. When will they update the IOS to 4.3? 4.2.8 is so 1st quarter.

sdmac
Jun 24, 2011, 01:11 PM
Your ATT Iphone will not work on VZ's network. GSM vs CDMA. So, if you start up with VZ by the 6th, you will be under contract and can get the unlimited data plan for the next two years at least. Although, it does seem that VZ retools their data plan charges about every 6 months, and I would think they if they come out with something better you could change if you chose.

I'm not bringing my ATT iphone over (i didn't make that clear in my original post). I am bringing over two motorola droids that my buddy is letting me use so I would be month to month. I'm just gonna pull the trigger and see what happens. I'm done with AT&T service and I can curb my data use if I am forced to go to 2gb later on down the road.

rock15478
Jun 25, 2011, 10:10 AM
http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/money/consumer/dont_waste_your_money/unlimited-data-ends-for-verizon-phones

looks like it's confirmed that as soon as you "upgrade" or use your discounted pricing, that you lose your unlimited data.

for this very reason, i specifically upgraded on the current line i have unlimited data on (making my contract go all the way to 2013)...

but am saving the discounted pricing upgrade on a current line i have with ZERO data, going to upgrade to the iphone 5 in august/september on that line, NOT activate it on that line, and activate it on my current unlimited data plan line... that will remain unlimited until at least 2013...

oh well

Jfountai
Jun 25, 2011, 11:01 PM
Let's say I have a dumb phone on Verizon. I get the unlimited data plan till the new iPhone comes out in sep. Now I am grandfathered in. Right? Same thing as if I had the unlimited data plan for 2 years and was out of contract for two months, got an iPhone 5 and was grandfathered in. Right? Just trying to think of a way get get the iPhone 5 with unlimited data and out smart Verizon.

nateo200
Jun 25, 2011, 11:40 PM
I already ranted in the other thread so Ill get to the point here. If its family sharable data thats fine...I'm thinking my family could easily live of 4 or 5GB's a month or even 2gigs since I use 1.5Gigs a month being conservative with 3G and using wifi when I can. If they don't do that then they should integrate free tethering with the 2gig $30 plan. I'm sure a few people would jump at that! It seams like a pretty fair price too.

Elixer
Jun 26, 2011, 01:18 PM
Let's say I have a dumb phone on Verizon. I get the unlimited data plan till the new iPhone comes out in sep. Now I am grandfathered in. Right? Same thing as if I had the unlimited data plan for 2 years and was out of contract for two months, got an iPhone 5 and was grandfathered in. Right? Just trying to think of a way get get the iPhone 5 with unlimited data and out smart Verizon.

This is what I'm wondering too. I'm month to month right now but I didn't have the unlimited previously. I'm thinking of adding one, but I don't know if it will be grandfathered in. I'm hoping it works that way.

BigDukeSix
Jun 26, 2011, 04:46 PM
I already ranted in the other thread so Ill get to the point here. If its family sharable data thats fine...I'm thinking my family could easily live of 4 or 5GB's a month or even 2gigs since I use 1.5Gigs a month being conservative with 3G and using wifi when I can. If they don't do that then they should integrate free tethering with the 2gig $30 plan. I'm sure a few people would jump at that! It seams like a pretty fair price too.

I have not seen anything to indicate it is family sharable. That is what I was hoping they would come out with, but it does not seem to be the case.

budafied
Jun 26, 2011, 09:32 PM

This is what I'm wondering too. I'm month to month right now but I didn't have the unlimited previously. I'm thinking of adding one, but I don't know if it will be grandfathered in. I'm hoping it works that way.

Feature phone unlimited contract WILL NOT grandfather into a smartphone with unlimited data. Those going from unlimited data on a feature phone AFTER 7/7/11 will be forced to use tiered data...

AndroidCentral: (http://www.androidcentral.com/verizons-new-data-plans-broken-down-complete-detail)

So all changes effective July 7th, 2011.

Existing customer KEEP their $29.99 unlimited data plan

If an existing customer upgrades from a feature phone to a smart phone after 7/7/11, they will NOT be able to add on the unlimited data package. They must choose from the new data plans.

Anyone who sets up new service with unlimited data, upgrades from a feature phone to a smart phone with unlimited data, or customer currently on the $29.99 before July, 7, 2011 will be grandfathered in.

iansilv
Jun 27, 2011, 02:43 AM
Sprint! Sprint! Sprint! Sprint!!

Come on Sprint- get that iPhone!

Let's see some competition!!

Or T-Mobile...

unionky
Jun 27, 2011, 07:42 AM
What is the consensues - is it worth sacrificing unlimited data for 2 years to get an iPhone 5? I can upgrade my feature phone to an iPhone now with Verizon and unlimited data or wait until the iPhone 5 comes out and pay for the 2GB. I can stay within the 2 GB without a problem although I would obviously be missing out on some things.

Jfountai
Jun 27, 2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks budafied. Boy this is a hard one, (thats what she said). I want unlimited data, but i want a new i phone... Any other thoughts on how to make this happen?

mrjlwilliams
Jun 27, 2011, 09:51 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wonder if they will do like AT&T and allow early upgrades! I have the unlimited plan right now, and would not be happy with that. I stream a lot on my phone, so I need it to stay as is. I useuch more than 2GB per month.

DiamondMac
Jun 27, 2011, 11:28 AM
What is the consensues - is it worth sacrificing unlimited data for 2 years to get an iPhone 5? I can upgrade my feature phone to an iPhone now with Verizon and unlimited data or wait until the iPhone 5 comes out and pay for the 2GB. I can stay within the 2 GB without a problem although I would obviously be missing out on some things.

I am not sure how we could answer that without knowing what apps you use, whether you watch things online, etc....

There is no one answer. I need unlimited due to using the iPhone minutely and I like streaming shows.

Many here on this forum never use anywhere near 1gb per month so they don't need unlimited

budafied
Jun 27, 2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks budafied. Boy this is a hard one, (thats what she said). I want unlimited data, but i want a new i phone... Any other thoughts on how to make this happen?

I currently have a feature phone with NO data. I got it before they required data on it. I am planning on activating a Droid Eris with unlimited data BEFORE 7/7/11. I am OUT of contract and eligible for an upgraded device. So, in September, I should be able to buy the iPhone 5 and keep the unlimited data I activate on the Eris.

You can easily find an older Droid or Blackberry to activate on VZW for under $100 on craigslist. I'm using an Eris that used to be on another line on my plan.

Jfountai
Jun 28, 2011, 06:27 AM
I currently have a feature phone with NO data. I got it before they required data on it. I am planning on activating a Droid Eris with unlimited data BEFORE 7/7/11. I am OUT of contract and eligible for an upgraded device. So, in September, I should be able to buy the iPhone 5 and keep the unlimited data I activate on the Eris.

You can easily find an older Droid or Blackberry to activate on VZW for under $100 on craigslist. I'm using an Eris that used to be on another line on my plan.

I would do that. But many r saying that is a pay by the month plan. That does not count. Must have a two year contract.

budafied
Jun 28, 2011, 12:50 PM
I would do that. But many r saying that is a pay by the month plan. That does not count. Must have a two year contract.

According to the wording on the VZW email from AndroidCentral, you are grandfathered in if you are using a smartphone with unlimited data BEFORE 7/7/11. I'm gonna go to a Verizon store before activating my Eris (probably tonight) to confirm this. I'll also have them make a note of it on my account, so there are no issues when I upgrade to the iPhone in September.

BigDukeSix
Jun 28, 2011, 02:15 PM
I had come up with a plan to turn on unlimited data NLT 6 July, then sit and wait to either get my IPhone 4 after my next payday. Or, wait and see about an IPhone 5.

After talking to VZ, they explained to me that since my current phone (LG VX8300) does not use data, I cannot turn data on as it is not an option. So, if I want to jump on the unlimited bandwagon, I will have to get my phone and data at the same time.

Jfountai
Jun 30, 2011, 08:42 PM
According to the wording on the VZW email from AndroidCentral, you are grandfathered in if you are using a smartphone with unlimited data BEFORE 7/7/11. I'm gonna go to a Verizon store before activating my Eris (probably tonight) to confirm this. I'll also have them make a note of it on my account, so there are no issues when I upgrade to the iPhone in September.

Let us know whAt they say.

Jigga
Jul 4, 2011, 01:39 PM
Where does it say that it doesn't count? Everyone in the store and the reps I called said it would count.