Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
I have an airport extreme and express. The express is configured to extend the range. The settings are both are wireless n only at 2.4 ghz. wpa2 personal.

the extreme is on one side of my house and the express is in the middle to reach the other end. i use these in college when i am there as my parents have uverse and therefore have their own router.

last year when i was home on break it reached the other edge of the house but this year it doesnt. we just recently switched to uverse while i was away so could the two routers being next to each other effect the range or performance? the att router is wireless g it that helps. i thought the extreme could cover the entire house as my house is only 50 ft but it reaches about 35 which is why i use the express. and also when i am next to the express extending i only get about half the wifi bars filled. thanks!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
yes having them next to each other can cause interference. wireless G is also 2.4 GHz

several things can influence your wireless range.
the number of walls.
the construction of your walls - for example old plaster walls with chicken wire in them are fairly solid as far as wi-fi is concerned.
the angle you're going through walls - going though a wall at a 90 deg angle makes the wall appear much thinner than going through at a really shallow angle.
other sources of RF in the same area, microwave ovens, baby monitors, cordless phones (other base stations)

nunes013

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
yes having them next to each other can cause interference. wireless G is also 2.4 GHz

several things can influence your wireless range.
the number of walls.
the construction of your walls - for example old plaster walls with chicken wire in them are fairly solid as far as wi-fi is concerned.
the angle you're going through walls - going though a wall at a 90 deg angle makes the wall appear much thinner than going through at a really shallow angle.
other sources of RF in the same area, microwave ovens, baby monitors, cordless phones (other base stations)

i knew about the walls and ours arent too thick. we recently got a microcell (1 foot away) and my airport express is under the microwave (awesome place for all this :D). i guess the mix of another router and microcell is causing it. the only reason i use the airport at home is because of the usb (att doesnt have one on theirs) and i use it for an external hard disk.

i guess i will have to live with it for another 2 months until college. not that big of a deal but i was wondering what was going on. thanks for all your help!!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.