Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sylonien

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2011
Not sure what to go for next? I've been using Premiere Pro CS4 for quite a while now and Vegas before that. But now that I've moved to a Mac environment. I was thinking of switching.

Originally was gonna go for FCX but the lack of plug-in support is putting me off a bit at the moment. Any Avid users out there with recommendations or comparisons between the two?

Sylonien

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2011
Is it not? Damn. Recent Mac convert so didn't know. Just assumed it was, cause it's cool that it came with a host of plug-ins like Magic Bullet Looks etc which is priced like the new FCX. Guess I will go with :apple: or unless there are similar priced video editors?

As mentioned I've been using Premiere for quite a while but I won't be able to afford to buy my own copy, whereas Avid (which I thought was available for Mac) and the new FCX is much more acceptable for my budget.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Avid Studio was discontinued years ago.

That used Avid Xpress not media composer and was PC only.

I get grabbed a copy of Final Cut Studio 3 some how and then get FCP X after it's been updated.

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
Not sure what to go for next? I've been using Premiere Pro CS4 for quite a while now and Vegas before that. But now that I've moved to a Mac environment. I was thinking of switching.

Originally was gonna go for FCX but the lack of plug-in support is putting me off a bit at the moment. Any Avid users out there with recommendations or comparisons between the two?

What's wrong with CS 5.5 as you already know Premiere.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Avid Studio was discontinued years ago.

That used Avid Xpress not media composer and was PC only.

I get grabbed a copy of Final Cut Studio 3 some how and then get FCP X after it's been updated.

It was recently announced and pointed out it's Windows only:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/avid-studio

A pretty tempting package with RedGiantSoftware at $169.

blunti

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Avid Media Composer is working perfectly on the Macs. I've been using Avid systems for the past 8 years ( features and broadcast ) and i can only recommend jumping into it.

fcpx is just lacking too many things atm. 1 big problem with avid though. it does not make use of having 6-8-12 w/e cores but still the best editing system in MY opinion ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
It was recently announced and pointed out it's Windows only:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/avid-studio

A pretty tempting package with RedGiantSoftware at $169.

Sorry, they had it a long time ago when FCP Production Suite was out.

It was outrageously expensive back then and only came with Xpress, pro-tools, some 3d software and a bunch of other software and hardware.

This new one looks a lot like a watered down version of Media Composer. Much like FCP X.

dodge this

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2009
What's wrong with CS 5.5 as you already know Premiere.

I have taught both Premiere and Final Cut. IMO Premiere just seems very unpolished and missing easy to access features.

I say this ironically in a Final Cut Pro X thread, of course.... :D

Sylonien

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2011
Thanks people for the input.

Avid Studio looked tempting cause of the price point, included plug-ins and because its' Avid and heard it's quite good even though its not the full fat version. But since it's not available for Mac, guess I will leave that out.

And Media Composer, *eek* £1900+? That's just under the cost of my iMac. Probably amazing, but no budget or need for that (for me).

I wanted to try something new as I personally felt Premiere a bit clunky and crashed on me quite often. And my god do I have trouble with Adobe Media Encoder. Seems like I have a higher chance of winning the lottery then to get it to encode something at times. 40mins, or an hour in and it would suddenly hang there. Eventually found that it didn't like a certain clip randomly in the sequence and would hang there. Never figured out why. Some how didn't like it no matter what I tried.

So I was hoping Final Cut would be more stable and maybe better since a lot 'pro' seem to use it.

But not so sure about new FCX. Need plug-ins man. Seems so watered down. What about Twixtor and MagicBullet Looks etc?

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
But not so sure about new FCX. Need plug-ins man. Seems so watered down. What about Twixtor and MagicBullet Looks etc?

As I mentioned, there is a new SDK for plugins. The fact is most developers only found out about it on Tuesday, the same day FCPX was released. Give them some time to catch up.

Also, check out what the pros are saying what is missing in FCPX and consider if those omissions will be an issue for you. Keep in mind that some people are saying some actions are missing when in fact they simply don't know how to do something.

For pros this is a piss poor release and the dust is yet to settle.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
I wanted to try something new as I personally felt Premiere a bit clunky and crashed on me quite often. And my god do I have trouble with Adobe Media Encoder. Seems like I have a higher chance of winning the lottery then to get it to encode something at times. 40mins, or an hour in and it would suddenly hang there.

Yeah, I worked with Premiere only for a year, but your experience about sums up mine. Having to deal with that crap, nobody on creative cow or adobe forums was able to figure it out. Ended up just rendering out of AE which gave WAY better quality than Media Encoder. I'm sorry but Media Encoder is just a piece of.... well, you know. Never used Avid, and have not gotten FCPX yet, editing is now just a hobby. But I'd stay away from Premiere personally, but for sure AE! Amazing program that is.

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
I used premiere a ways back and found it was clunky etc as well, but the OP used CS 4 which seems to be vastly different than CS 5.5 -- which generally I've heard good things about. Using the trial version, so far, seems fine. I miss FCP, but it doesn't handle DSLR footage.

Sylonien

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2011
I probably will go for FCX for now since it's native to Apple, so I hope it will run smoother and more stable (and since it's new and relatively cheap). As mentioned, had enough of Premiere (personally) and the useless AMC.

But yeah probably will still use AE from time to time still. Don't do / need a lot of effects for my edits.

Very interesting to see what will happen to FCX as people mentioned there will be plug-in enabled in the future. But just seems crazy at the moment. What about all the pro tools like Aja hardwares? CRAZY...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.