PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5 to Have a Dual LED Flash?

MacRumors
Jun 22, 2011, 09:21 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/22/iphone-5-to-have-a-dual-led-flash/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/singlevsdual-500x375.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/singlevsdual.jpg)
Single (Left) vs Dual (Right) LED comparison with Nokia phones by Zomgitscj (http://zomgitscj.com/2008/11/16/single-led-flash-vs-dual-led-flash/)
Digitimes claims (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110622PD217.html) that the upcoming iPhone 5 will incorporate a dual LED Flash.Recent market rumors have indicated that Apple's iPhone 5 is likely to come with a dual-LED flash with Taiwan-based LED packaging firms Everlight Electronics, Edison Opto and Lite-On Technology being pinpointed as potential suppliers. All related companies have denied they are involved in the production of dual-LED flashes.The advantage of a dual LED flash appears to be brighter and more expansive lighting for your photographs. Back in 2008 Zomgitscj (http://zomgitscj.com/2008/11/16/single-led-flash-vs-dual-led-flash/) showed differences between the dual LED flash and a single LED flash found on his Nokia N96 and Nokia N95. One is shown above but the site has several (http://zomgitscj.com/2008/11/16/single-led-flash-vs-dual-led-flash/) other examples for the phone at varying distances.

We'd already seen rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/14/iphone-5g-case-design-shows-redesigned-camera-flash-and-thin-bezel/) that Apple may be separating the Flash away from the camera sensor in the iPhone 5.

Article Link: iPhone 5 to Have a Dual LED Flash? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/22/iphone-5-to-have-a-dual-led-flash/)

wordoflife
Jun 22, 2011, 09:24 PM
Sure, I'll take that!

garylapointe
Jun 22, 2011, 09:24 PM
Either:

One for the front and one for the back.
One for each of the seperate 3D lenses!

Gary

basesloaded190
Jun 22, 2011, 09:25 PM
Can't hurt anything, so it sounds like a great idea to add another one, especially if it's going to create better pictures

PorterRocks
Jun 22, 2011, 09:26 PM
It would be awesome if the iPhone 5 had dual flashes.

Also, this is probably the only time we'll see a gatorade bottle as the picture for a front page article. :)

SandynJosh
Jun 22, 2011, 09:29 PM
Did you notice how more densely packed the pixels are in the dual-flash photo?? ;)

justinfreid
Jun 22, 2011, 09:31 PM
Sure, two are better than one, I guess.
Plus it would make the iPhone an even more effective flashlight and it'd be cool to use them for call or text message notifications, too.

Virgo
Jun 22, 2011, 09:32 PM
Great! Now my skin can look twice as bad!

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 22, 2011, 09:35 PM
Great! Now my skin can look twice as bad!

Proper photo manipulation (like the things that can be done in iOS 5,) should help offset that.

This sounds like a neat, inexpensive feature.

Edit: Maybe while they're at it, they could give us some other dual audio/visual feedback, like, say, STEREO SPEAKERS?

KPOM
Jun 22, 2011, 09:41 PM
Xenon would be the best (for still photos). Nokia had some phones in the past with xenon flash and they took great pictures. Dual LED would be a big improvement, though.

I'm looking forward to the iPhone 5. My employer just started supporting the iPhone, and I'll be eligible for an upgrade from my BlackBerry early next year.

Badbaw
Jun 22, 2011, 09:41 PM
I don't think anyone can complain about this rumor!

blazik
Jun 22, 2011, 09:44 PM
I've found this Single LED / Dual LED / Xenon flash comparison (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/Camera_Nitty_Gritty-part_2.php) quite enlightening. I'm crossing my fingers hoping that iPhone 5 will have a xenon flash rather than another LED flash wannabe. It looks way much better on xenon.

Reach9
Jun 22, 2011, 09:44 PM
Wow, looks like the LED on the front of the iPhone might be possible now! Here's hoping for LED notifications on the front! That'll be another slap to BlackBerry.

spencers
Jun 22, 2011, 09:50 PM
Twice the flash, Twice battery drain, eh?

na1577
Jun 22, 2011, 09:54 PM
Has Digitimes ever reported an accurate rumor? One that wasn't already widely believed.

HBOC
Jun 22, 2011, 09:56 PM
This would be sweet. I am due for an upgrade at the beginning of September.

decimortis
Jun 22, 2011, 10:03 PM
I've found this Single LED / Dual LED / Xenon flash comparison quite enlightening.

I see what you did there.

*LTD*
Jun 22, 2011, 10:05 PM
Single flash + Clarity filter on Camera+ app.

Done. ;)

randomrazr
Jun 22, 2011, 10:07 PM
thats awesome!

to bad i cant upgrade to the new iphone 5! ah well iphone 4 i s still awesome

BrianMojo
Jun 22, 2011, 10:07 PM
I'm wondering why they wouldn't just get a more powerful flash, frankly.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 22, 2011, 10:08 PM
Single flash + Clarity filter on Camera+ app.

Done. ;)

problem is even all that can not solve the problem of not enough light.

Honestly I am not surprised by this. dual LED provides more light at a cheaper price and in a smaller form factor than a single bright LED of equilant brightness.

Icy1007
Jun 22, 2011, 10:15 PM
I can't wait! I need to take better pictures of Gatorade bottles.

erzhik
Jun 22, 2011, 10:16 PM
Good to see iPhone will finally get what is supposed to be a standard on all phones. I would rather see xenon of course.

Performa
Jun 22, 2011, 10:20 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/22/iphone-5-to-have-a-dual-led-flash/)

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/singlevsdual.jpg)

Single (Left) vs Dual (Right) LED comparison with Nokia phones by Zomgitscj (http://zomgitscj.com/2008/11/16/single-led-flash-vs-dual-led-flash/)
Digitimes claims (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110622PD217.html) that the upcoming iPhone5 will have a dual LED Flash.The advantage of a dual LED flash appears to be brighter and more expansive lighting for your photographs. Back in 2008 Zomgitscj (http://zomgitscj.com/2008/11/16/single-led-flash-vs-dual-led-flash/) showed differences between the dual LED flash and a single LED flash found on his Nokia N96 and Nokia N95. One is shown above but the site has several other examples for the phone at the time.

Article Link: iPhone 5 to Have a Dual LED Flash? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/22/iphone-5-to-have-a-dual-led-flash/)

I usually turn off the flash, or back WAY up....to keep my photos from getting overwhelmed with light. Now a doubly bright flash? Great.

Aleco
Jun 22, 2011, 10:21 PM
LED Indicator Light on the phone right by the FaceTime camera would also be a nice addition. Maybe flash green for a text, red for a personal notification etc...

LucasG
Jun 22, 2011, 10:33 PM
Can't wait for this iPhone 5 if it's all going to be true! :D

cmaier
Jun 22, 2011, 10:39 PM
LED Indicator Light on the phone right by the FaceTime camera would also be a nice addition. Maybe flash green for a text, red for a personal notification etc...

Nah. LED should be hidden so that the hole where your ear goes glows.

SandynJosh
Jun 22, 2011, 10:40 PM

Two LEDs spaced apart makes for softer shadows. It doesn't mean twice as bright.

I'm wondering why they wouldn't just get a more powerful flash, frankly.

You must have perused the opening story in Braille or you'd see why two LEDs are being used... the problem being solved isn't too little light, it's the hardness of the shadows being produced by a single light source.

I usually turn off the flash, or back WAY up....to keep my photos from getting overwhelmed with light. Now a doubly bright flash? Great.

Why do you all think that more light is what this is about???

840quadra
Jun 22, 2011, 10:49 PM

I think the power draw would be negligible.

Especially considering you can run a 4.5v 200 Lumen Cree LED flashlight for ~3 hours on standard Triple A batteries. The current single LED in the iPhone 4 is said to be ~45 Lumens by those who have tested it.

Sined
Jun 22, 2011, 11:05 PM
Since when does the iPhone have Flash?

ten-oak-druid
Jun 22, 2011, 11:14 PM
So the image is smaller with an extra flash?

Yumunum
Jun 22, 2011, 11:19 PM
I think the power draw would be negligible.

Especially considering you can run a 4.5v 200 Lumen Cree LED flashlight for ~3 hours on standard Triple A batteries. The current single LED in the iPhone 4 is said to be ~45 Lumens by those who have tested it.

Power drain? Even if you were using the phone as a flashlight there should barely be a difference. I had an Inspire 4G, loved how bright the dual lights were, never had battery issues. (well, Android itself has battery issues... But the lights didn't make things worse)

KingCrimson
Jun 22, 2011, 11:21 PM
Don't the top-of-the-line Android phones already have stuff like this?

840quadra
Jun 22, 2011, 11:21 PM
Power drain? Even if you were using the phone as a flashlight there should barely be a difference. I had an Inspire 4G, loved how bright the dual lights were, never had battery issues. (well, Android itself has battery issues... But the lights didn't make things worse)

That is essentially the point I was trying to make with my post. The 2nd LED's additional power drain would be negligible.

Yumunum
Jun 22, 2011, 11:23 PM
That is essentially the point I was trying to make with my post. The 2nd LED's additional power drain would be negligible.

Oops, I didn't mean to respond to you. I meant to respond to the person you were responding to. I think there's a very good chance this rumor is true.

skier777
Jun 22, 2011, 11:32 PM
Two is better than one. Xenon are hot, and require a capacitor at like 400volts which could be dangerous when they have to repair the phones.

Sensamic
Jun 22, 2011, 11:42 PM
iPhone 5:

- 3.7 retina display
- A5 processor
- 700MB or 1GB RAM
- 8 meta icen camera with 1080p video recording
- Dual LED flash. 1 for camera and 1 for led notifications on th front
- New design (no more antenna issues)
- HD FaceTime camera on the front
- Thunderbolt connection for super fast syncing
- SIM free

Thats it.

cmaier
Jun 22, 2011, 11:43 PM
iPhone 5:

- 3.7 retina display
- A5 processor
- 700MB or 1GB RAM
- SIM free

Thats it.

No thunderbolt.

mdriftmeyer
Jun 22, 2011, 11:56 PM
iPhone 5:

- 3.7 retina display
- A5 processor
- 700MB or 1GB RAM
- SIM free

Thats it.

Won't happen unless Apple wants to provide a secondary adapter with the phones that goes from Thunderbolt to USB2.

Put both flashes on the back for higher quality photos with proper color and light balance. My life doesn't revolve around having a flash notification on the front side.

Make it 1GB or it's going to be 768GB, not some funky 700MB.

Most likely they'll bump it to 1GB and the next version of the iPad will have 1.5GB-2.0GB of RAM and be a Quad Core A6.

Motorola is ramping up with a Quad Core Tegra from Nvidia with 1.5GB of Ram themselves.

http://www.geeks4share.com/2011/05/motorola-builds-its-first-quad-core-smartphone/

captain kaos
Jun 23, 2011, 12:07 AM
I would say at the narrow width of case you have to play with on any phone 2 led flashes just makes it brighter (more well lit) which could be done with just a brighter single flash. Sure, if you have 2 flashes lined up next to each other X meters apart and directing them to the item to be photographed, you would get a much better light coverage, but not when you're talking about a few cms between the flashes.

Zaqfalcon
Jun 23, 2011, 12:13 AM
Well woop-di-****in-doo!

Where the hell is the Xenon?

I will not buy an iPhone until it has a decent camera, quality lens and XENON FLASH!

fasttoy94
Jun 23, 2011, 12:14 AM
Steve :confused: when we said we wanted "Flash" on :apple: iPhone this was not what we meant. :(

captain kaos
Jun 23, 2011, 12:15 AM

I have the BB bold 9700 at the moment which has the possibility to have different led flashes. Its exciting at first but I've found i don't use them at all anymore.

bretm
Jun 23, 2011, 12:32 AM
Don't the top-of-the-line Android phones already have stuff like this?

My wife's atrix takes horrible pics. Has a dual led flash. It's not much brighter if any.

Reach9
Jun 23, 2011, 12:55 AM
iPhone 5:

- 3.7 retina display
- A5 processor
- 700MB or 1GB RAM
- SIM free

Thats it.

I really hope you're right with all of these points except Thunderbolt and SIM free.

c'mon Apple, we know you can make such a device!

CFreymarc
Jun 23, 2011, 01:15 AM
Dual? Try dynamic adjustable flash! They have at least a 10-bit DAC driving the power level of the flash based on the intensity algorithm they licensed. Apple is a good systems house, but primary research for fundamental technologies is for the REAL big boys that don't need marketing fluff.

Truffy
Jun 23, 2011, 01:32 AM
I suppose it would be churlish not to get excited about improvements to a low-quality camera on a phone?

cvaldes
Jun 23, 2011, 01:34 AM
I will not buy an iPhone until it has a decent camera, quality lens and XENON FLASH!
So what are you using right now?

Piggie
Jun 23, 2011, 01:38 AM
I don't really understand why Apple have not done this already.
Why would you sit round a table, see what's needed, and what others have fitted to their phones, and, as Apple think, no.... We'll fit something worse than other brands.

Why would you do that in the 1st place even ?

Nordichund
Jun 23, 2011, 01:56 AM
I have no problem with shooting casual video, but for taking pictures the iPhone 4 camera sucks. I doubt this new added flash will be much better. The current flash on the iPhone 4 is garbage.
The iPhone is brilliant as a communications device, but it is not a camera. It might take okay shots in the bright sunlight of California, but not in foggy northern Europe. Sure the iPhone 4 is great for taking silly shots of silly moments using amusing apps. It still has a long way to go if it wants to take acceptable photos.

I believe I will be still carrying a good compact camera in addition with me for several years to come to take those memorable photos, in situations when a DSLR is just too heavy to lug around.

captain kaos
Jun 23, 2011, 02:17 AM
I think i'll wait to get more excited with other news about the iphone5, phone cameras don't really do it for me! I'd like to know storage, processor power and when it definitely going to be out and how much! :D

SandynJosh
Jun 23, 2011, 02:30 AM
I would say at the narrow width of case you have to play with on any phone 2 led flashes just makes it brighter (more well lit) which could be done with just a brighter single flash. Sure, if you have 2 flashes lined up next to each other X meters apart and directing them to the item to be photographed, you would get a much better light coverage, but not when you're talking about a few cms between the flashes.

Obviously you didn't look at the frickin' Gatorade photo with the story because a few cms DO make a distinct difference.

BrianMojo
Jun 23, 2011, 02:33 AM
...You must have perused the opening story in Braille or you'd see why two LEDs are being used... the problem being solved isn't too little light, it's the hardness of the shadows being produced by a single light source.

Why do you all think that more light is what this is about???

Sorry, I must have been reading the MacRumors article that read "The advantage of a dual LED flash appears to be brighter and more expansive lighting for your photographs," or the original article that stated "As you can see, the results are more or less the same, the N96 shots just having more light in its pictures" and nowhere referenced anything about softer shadows.

Unless you're adding diffusion to these flashes, you're not getting softer light -- although you might be hiding the shadow behind the subject and adding fill to a side that otherwise might be shadow.

Back to reading the original articles in braille, I suppose!

stadlin
Jun 23, 2011, 02:40 AM
all the samples are shot in landscape, but the early mockups showed two flashes for holding it "portrait"...

captain kaos
Jun 23, 2011, 02:50 AM
Obviously you didn't look at the frickin' Gatorade photo with the story because a few cms DO make a distinct difference.

Actually i did. I'd like to know 2 things: One, tell me how can you tell from a rubbish side by side photo on a rumors page how, if any you can difference between a more brightly lit bottle and one taken with 2 flashes? The 2 photos aren't even at the same distance from the subject!

Two, could you tell me how many years of photography experience you have before jumping on one of my post. You'd better have something to back yourself up with.

Kelmon
Jun 23, 2011, 02:50 AM
As long as I can turn the flash off then that's fine by me. Given the choice, however, I'd much rather have a camera sensor with better low-light performance rather than an extra flash bulb that will make my pictures look terrible. A bit of fill-in flash is OK in bright conditions but I'd only use it in dark conditions in desperation.

Ed91
Jun 23, 2011, 02:52 AM
Well woop-di-f#ckin-doo!

Where the hell is the Xenon?

Buy a camera.

starstreak
Jun 23, 2011, 03:11 AM
I doubt it. The way Apple is sueing everybody, I can bet someone will yell out "we had dual LED flash b4 you did!" and sue Apple.

840quadra
Jun 23, 2011, 03:18 AM
I have no problem with shooting casual video, but for taking pictures the iPhone 4 camera sucks. I doubt this new added flash will be much better. The current flash on the iPhone 4 is garbage.
The iPhone is brilliant as a communications device, but it is not a camera. It might take okay shots in the bright sunlight of California, but not in foggy northern Europe. Sure the iPhone 4 is great for taking silly shots of silly moments using amusing apps. It still has a long way to go if it wants to take acceptable photos.

I believe I will be still carrying a good compact camera in addition with me for several years to come to take those memorable photos, in situations when a DSLR is just too heavy to lug around.

I am really curious to hear what your point and shoot camera is? Most pocketable point and shoot cameras also have difficulty in low light situations you describe. Their biggest benefit is having a true flash, zoom capabilities, and somewhat better focus ability. As far as actual per pixel image quality, they usually equal, or slightly edge out the iPhone 4, but you have to be at 100% crops to even see it.

I actually found my iPhone 4 camera to do as good, or better than my Canon SD780is, or my Nikon s710 in many situations. So good in fact, I stopped taking them with me all together.

Zaqfalcon
Jun 23, 2011, 03:22 AM
So what are you using right now?

Nokia N8.

Why would you sit round a table, see what's needed, and what others have fitted to their phones, and, as Apple think, no.... We'll fit something worse than other brands.

Quite - see above.

There shouldn't be a need to any more, it's not like good camera technology in mobile phones doesn't exist - see above.

Buy a camera.

No need - see above.

If Nokia can do it why not Apple? It's frustrating and disappointing. It was finally on the basis of the camera that I didn't buy an original iPhone back in 2007 and went with a Nokia N95. The iPhone is only just now catching up with the N95 camera wise let alone the N8.

No I don't need a Symbian vs iOS discussion - yawn.

ppc_michael
Jun 23, 2011, 03:25 AM
iPhone 6 should come with a ring flash.

Mr. Gates
Jun 23, 2011, 03:31 AM
I just hope they fix the sensitivity.

I often find the flash going off on Auto when it shouldn't, often ruining a good picture.

840quadra
Jun 23, 2011, 03:46 AM
No I don't need a Symbian vs iOS discussion - yawn.

Too bad, not on this forum ;)

I must admit I do really like the N8, and if I didn't need 3rd party applications I use on a daily biases, I think I would have one.

But currently (for me), The N8 is a much better replacement for a Point and Shoot camera, than it is for a Smart Phone. Symbian is getting better, but still lacks the ecosystem of Android or iOS. With that, it simply isn't enough for me to switch just yet.

boss.king
Jun 23, 2011, 04:41 AM
I'm hoping for a xenon flash. My old K800i took amazing photo's even in pure darkness because the flash illuminated the room. This would be a true step forward for the camera.

jinx1181
Jun 23, 2011, 04:48 AM
Just wanted to throw this out there:

Anybody think that the camera and flash will both be moved to the opposite side of where they stand now due to the iOS 5 option of using the volume up button to take a picture? As it stands now, it is difficult to hold the phone sideways and snapping a shot without covering the lens unless you use both hands.

Schizoid
Jun 23, 2011, 04:50 AM
I like Gatorade, it's like Lucozade for reptiles... I'm so pleased the flash works twice as good with the bottle I drinkt mmm

Zaqfalcon
Jun 23, 2011, 05:02 AM
Symbian is getting better, but still lacks the ecosystem of Android or iOS. With that, it simply isn't enough for me to switch just yet.

Oh alright then :rolleyes:

It's a pity Symbian is being abandoned by Nokia in favour of Windows phone (bleurgh) which is why it's even more disappointing that iPhone is still not an option.

The N8 is a great phone, for me at least, and it'll be quite a while before I replace it, so let's hope Apple focuses its efforts in the camera department for the iPhone 6 or 7.

Xenc
Jun 23, 2011, 05:28 AM
Did you notice how more densely packed the pixels are in the dual-flash photo?? ;)

5 megapixel vs 8 megapixel camera.

Wow, looks like the LED on the front of the iPhone might be possible now! Here's hoping for LED notifications on the front! That'll be another slap to BlackBerry.

Dual LED flash is not the same as a notification light, although that would be awesome too!

Burntfender
Jun 23, 2011, 05:42 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If this phone is just a speed bump, it really will add fuel to the android fire. It cannot just be minor changes, if Apple truly wants to stay on pace with android- a completely refreshed phone every year is what will need to be done from here on. And given that it's taking longer this time around, maybe that means there might be some truth to that

fkhan3
Jun 23, 2011, 05:43 AM
I like!

Apple - lets make this a reality soon

garybUK
Jun 23, 2011, 05:58 AM
This article is complete rubbish, for starters the nokia's come with Carl Zeiss optics, they have a higher MP rating. x2 LED's does not equal that image. Plus apple does all the horrible post processing to make the pics seem warmer.

P.S. love my N8 with Xenon flash :D

KnightWRX
Jun 23, 2011, 06:10 AM
This article is complete rubbish, for starters the nokia's come with Carl Zeiss optics, they have a higher MP rating. x2 LED's does not equal that image. Plus apple does all the horrible post processing to make the pics seem warmer.

Uh ? Did you read the article ?

zerofour
Jun 23, 2011, 06:22 AM
As long as I can turn the flash off then that's fine by me. Given the choice, however, I'd much rather have a camera sensor with better low-light performance rather than an extra flash bulb that will make my pictures look terrible. A bit of fill-in flash is OK in bright conditions but I'd only use it in dark conditions in desperation.

This! Agree totally. Generally can't stand flash unless absolutely needed or on a DSLR with a flash diffuser!

gorgeousninja
Jun 23, 2011, 06:37 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/22/iphone-5-to-have-a-dual-led-flash/)

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/singlevsdual.jpg)

Digitimes claims (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110622PD217.html) that the upcoming iPhone5 will have a dual LED Flash.The advantage of a dual LED flash appears to be brighter and more expansive lighting for your photographs. Back in 2008 Zomgitscj (http://zomgitscj.com/2008/11/16/single-led-flash-vs-dual-led-flash/) showed differences between the dual LED flash and a single LED flash found on his Nokia N96 and Nokia N95. One is shown above but the site has several other examples for the phone at the time.

Hmmm... Unfortunately many people go out at night... When it's dark... Hence the need for flash... Any ideas?

Certinfy
Jun 23, 2011, 07:01 AM
I want an Xenon flash :(

nwcs
Jun 23, 2011, 07:25 AM
No matter what they use for a flash it will still look like crap. What I'd love to see Apple do is find a way to let us use off camera flash.

Acerone
Jun 23, 2011, 07:27 AM
iPhone 5 please look like this from Gadgetmac. Super thin and it still retains the look of the iPhone 4.

http://www.gadgetmac.com/storage/product-images/iPhone%205%20with%20x2%20LED%20flash.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1308816075038

ghsNick
Jun 23, 2011, 08:17 AM
Hurry up and come out already! I hate my original Droid. Battery life on that thing sucks and even with App Remover that thing moves slower than molasis.

NelsonB
Jun 23, 2011, 08:22 AM
a dual led flash would be awesome nice bright pictures sounds good

rovex
Jun 23, 2011, 08:26 AM
iPhone 5 please look like this from Gadgetmac. Super thin and it still retains the look of the iPhone 4.

Image (http://www.gadgetmac.com/storage/product-images/iPhone%205%20with%20x2%20LED%20flash.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1308816075038)

Not bad, I even think the thiness would be more comfortable to hold, but the unfortunate truth is the current is not very comfortable for a wide array of people. Although, no denying it looks stunning.

rwilliams
Jun 23, 2011, 08:37 AM
I've taken hundreds, and by now, maybe over a thousand photos with my iPhone 4, and I can't stand using the flash. It makes me cringe to see those things go off on other people's cameras & phones.

Digital Skunk
Jun 23, 2011, 09:14 AM
Just keep putting more goodness into this phone, and don't forget the 4"-4.3" screen Apple.

Oh, and release this thing on Sprint already.

Jimmy James
Jun 23, 2011, 11:13 AM
Just keep putting more goodness into this phone, and don't forget the 4"-4.3" screen Apple.

But, but, but...5"-5.5" will let you view full native web pages without having to squint.

I'd rather see them build a smaller device around the current screen.

erzhik
Jun 23, 2011, 11:24 AM
If Nokia can do it why not Apple? It's frustrating and disappointing. It was finally on the basis of the camera that I didn't buy an original iPhone back in 2007 and went with a Nokia N95. The iPhone is only just now catching up with the N95 camera wise let alone the N8..

Because Nokia has a huge advantage and expertise in camera and hardware field for phones. They always had and always will manufacture more advanced cameras. Camera has always been one of biggest selling points on Nokia devices.

Certinfy
Jun 23, 2011, 11:29 AM
That looks so awesome! Would take that over any other mockups I've seen!

Digital Skunk
Jun 23, 2011, 12:57 PM
But, but, but...5"-5.5" will let you view full native web pages without having to squint.

I'd rather see them build a smaller device around the current screen.

Last I checked most of the smart phones being released have 4" - 4.3" screens, some are bigger. Let's stop the madness of having a powerful phone with a Tonka toy screen.

Apple will never make the device any smaller, lighter yes, lighter with a bigger screen yes, but you'd have to by crazy to want a smaller iPhone.

Jimmy James
Jun 23, 2011, 03:22 PM
Last I checked most of the smart phones being released have 4" - 4.3" screens, some are bigger. Let's stop the madness of having a powerful phone with a Tonka toy screen.

Apple will never make the device any smaller, lighter yes, lighter with a bigger screen yes, but you'd have to by crazy to want a smaller iPhone.

The throngs of iPhone nano hopefuls disagree with you.

And really, 4.3" or bigger. That no longer fits properly into some of my pockets. At that point it may as well be a 7" tablet phone. I'm carrying it either way and at least then I'll have a truly proper full screen experience.

Digital Skunk
Jun 23, 2011, 04:22 PM
The throngs of iPhone nano hopefuls disagree with you.

And really, 4.3" or bigger. That no longer fits properly into some of my pockets. At that point it may as well be a 7" tablet phone. I'm carrying it either way and at least then I'll have a truly proper full screen experience.

I thought the concept of an iPhone nano was silly until I used the HP Veer at a best buy, I can understand where you're coming from. But the Evo, sensation and other phones have changed the game. The next iPhone needs to have a 4" screen.

lunoire
Jun 23, 2011, 04:32 PM
That looks so awesome! Would take that over any other mockups I've seen!

May I put my mockup in the ring? (provided that you haven't already seen mine and have dismissed it)

karlwig
Jun 23, 2011, 06:00 PM
This is great news. Hopefully the sensor will be upgraded too!

Zaqfalcon
Jun 23, 2011, 07:44 PM
If Nokia can do it why not Apple? It's frustrating and disappointing. It was finally on the basis of the camera that I didn't buy an original iPhone back in 2007 and went with a Nokia N95. The iPhone is only just now catching up with the N95 camera wise let alone the N8.

Because Nokia has a huge advantage and expertise in camera and hardware field for phones. They always had and always will manufacture more advanced cameras. Camera has always been one of biggest selling points on Nokia devices.

How does this prevent Apple from doing the same exactly? Nokia didn't always put cameras into phones and there is no reason that Apple can't get that expertise, it's just about hiring the right people, getting the knowledge and working with the best manufacturers - hardly anything new to Apple, no?

Being four generations behind the current best practise in mobile phone camera technology is pretty poor in my opinion; especially for a company who claim to be making the best thing since sliced bread. I understand that the iPhone excels in other areas but I believe that the camera should be a priority element in any integrated device - clearly Apple do not agree and therefore put the minimum of effort into it.

iphonepiephone
Jun 23, 2011, 08:02 PM
It would be awesome if the iPhone 5 had dual flashes.

Also, this is probably the only time we'll see a gatorade bottle as the picture for a front page article. :)

Hey, it would be awesome if the iPhone 5 had some tech specs ;)

Hurry up and come out already! I hate my original Droid. Battery life on that thing sucks and even with App Remover that thing moves slower than molasis.

Oh yes man, I had one of those horrible phandroid-mobiles - swapped a 2009 Mac mini for it - I must have been on acid at the time :D

840quadra
Jun 23, 2011, 08:55 PM
Being four generations behind the current best practise in mobile phone camera technology is pretty poor in my opinion; especially for a company who claim to be making the best thing since sliced bread. I understand that the iPhone excels in other areas but I believe that the camera should be a priority element in any integrated device - clearly Apple do not agree and therefore put the minimum of effort into it.

Can you please explain how the N8 is 4 generations ahead? :confused: Keep in mind as I said before, as a camera, the N8 does beat out the iPhone 4, however I feel your most recent claim is based on opinion more than it is fact.

Besides the Megapixel and flash differences, both cameras use similar technology, and have near the same camera specifications overall. The iPhone uses a backside illuminated sensor which is newer tech than the N8, however the N8 really doesn't need that because of the sensor size, and overall megapixel count. This makes both phones decent (not great) at low light photography, but still far behind good, or high end P&S cameras for per pixel image clarity.

If the N8 boasted optical image stabilization, and optical zoom then I would say it is far more advanced. In reality it has neither of those, nor many of the other valuable features that a true P & S camera contains.

I think both are a great compromise for someone who only wants to carry one device (leave the P&S at home), but I wouldn't say either are a photographic marvel.

28monkeys
Jun 24, 2011, 02:23 AM
so one further step to conquer mobile industry !?
JUST BRING IT!

pc-proud
Jun 24, 2011, 10:45 AM
So if apple does do a dual led flash on the next phone, will they then sue every phone maker who has already had a duel flash, for copying them (apple)? As for the mock ups people are posting, seriously??? You take a picture of a 4, photoshop some pixels out of it's thickness, stitch it back together, add a duel led for the flash part and that's the best anyone can do... I thought when someone said look at my mock up, it would be a new design/style not just a copy, paste, edit, paste, taadaa!

I do hope maybe the 5 will be available on Sprint bc I wouldn't mind going back to one just to have an ipod again but I'm not holding my breath.

K

Digital Skunk
Jun 24, 2011, 11:48 AM
May I put my mockup in the ring? (provided that you haven't already seen mine and have dismissed it)

I like the big screen, but I hope that Apple doesn't just take the iPhone 4 and make the screen bigger and leave the case as it is now.

I'd like to have some more form and function coming together.

so one further step to conquer mobile industry !?
JUST BRING IT!

They're getting there. This is indeed one more step, but there are a ton more to go. That sweet iOS 5 finally makes the iOS eco-system appealing to me. Having a dedicated, stand-alone, wirelessly backing up and updating device has been around for YEARS, and Apple is finally getting us there with iOS 5.

So if apple does do a dual led flash on the next phone, will they then sue every phone maker who has already had a duel flash, for copying them (apple)? As for the mock ups people are posting, seriously??? You take a picture of a 4, photoshop some pixels out of it's thickness, stitch it back together, add a duel led for the flash part and that's the best anyone can do... I thought when someone said look at my mock up, it would be a new design/style not just a copy, paste, edit, paste, taadaa!

I do hope maybe the 5 will be available on Sprint bc I wouldn't mind going back to one just to have an ipod again but I'm not holding my breath.

K

Agree with everything you say. I used to flame mockup artists for just that; there is no longer any imagination that goes into mockups by Apple fans. More just basic photoshop skills put to good use.

The iPhone on Sprint AND Sprint not becoming a Verizon or AT&T will be the next big step for both Apple and Sprint. Now if Sprint can get Asurion to replace the iPhone 5 . . . now that would be revolutionary.

lunoire
Jun 24, 2011, 06:41 PM
I like the big screen, but I hope that Apple doesn't just take the iPhone 4 and make the screen bigger and leave the case as it is now.

I appreciate your feedback, but upon close inspection of the mockup I posted. It isn't simply an iPhone 4 with the screen expanded. It is an entirely new (outside of the metal band) enclosure.

http://cdn.main.nuffnang.com.my/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/iphone4_2up_front_side1.jpg

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=290895&d=1308864740

As you can see, my design removes the visible edge from the metal band surrounding the device. In addition there are no more slits in the band, given the notion that the old antenna system is abandoned. More importantly the entire shape of the device is different. The more bulbous corner curves of the iPhone 4 are done away with. Instead I went for a slightly more angular refined look to the corners of the device more akin to the transition from the iPad to the iPad 2.

I understand that at first glance one might only see an iPhone 4 with a larger screen. But from a designer's point of view the modifications make a significant difference.

HMFIC03
Jun 25, 2011, 12:10 AM
Sure I'll take 8mp and dual flash on a iPhone.