Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

t-mobile_usa_logo.jpg

9 to 5 Mac reports that a spokesperson for T-Mobile USA has disclosed the carrier currently has over one million iPhone users on its network, despite the fact that Apple has not offered an unlocked iPhone in the United States until the past several weeks and that differences between T-Mobile's network and other GSM networks that mean that iPhones are unable to run at 3G speeds on T-Mobile.
In a meeting with T-Mobile spokespeople today ahead of the NYC Pepcom event, I received word that there are actively over a million Apple iPhones currently on T-Mobile's network. When asked for a breakdown, the spokesman said the majority were pre-iPhone 4 but that a significant amount of people had "taken the scissors" to their T-Mobile SIM cards. T-Mobile doesn't currently offer a Micro-SIM solution for Apple's iPhone 4 so people who want to use the iPhone 4 must modify their SIMs into MicroSIMs.
T-Mobile noted that it is planning to roll out micro-SIMs at some unspecified time in the future, but declined to discuss any possibility of the iPhone coming directly to the carrier's network.

AT&T announced back in March that it planned to acquire T-Mobile for $39 billion, although federal regulators are still assessing the impact of the potential merger before giving a final go-ahead on the plans.

Article Link: T-Mobile USA Claims Over One Million iPhones Running On Its Network

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I was one of these people years ago with the first iPhone. I have to say, I've never seen T-Mobile as a permanant home for an iPhone. More of a stepping stone if you're in between carriers or something.

But I definitely understand those who call it home. I'm just glad they're there as an option. Choice is king :)

Last edited:

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
The fact that 1 million people will live on the fringe with Edge data speeds, Tmobile coverage, and use older OS versions for fear of losing their unlocks, speaks volumes to the extent people will go to avoid AT&T.
The FCC/DOJ should consider this in assessing the damage a Tmobile acquisition will do to consumer choice and the strength being afforded to the Sister Bell's control over the market.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I believe it! Carrying a dumbphone plus a WiFi-only iPod Touch is a highly functional combination. Carrying an iPhone with EDGE and WiFi both, and only one device to lug, is a step up from that!

amplifyfitness

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
Chicagoland
I, too, am on T-Mobile with an iPhone (3Gs). The network is slower than AT&T's 3G network, but I don't care than much. My Navigon app works just fine and Pandora new hesitates. Yes, there are areas in the country where service is limited, but, again, I don't care enough to switch to AT&T because of the horrible customer service. If T-Mobile becomes AT&T's extension, then I'll no longer use an iPhone.

Right now I have unlimited text and data with 1000 minutes for $80/month (taxes figured in there, too). Verizon and AT&T seem to be clamping down on data usage for what I consider to be unreasonable price points.

Anymore, I'd rather carry an iPad with wi-fi instead of a laptop and use a generic phone.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
The fact that 1 million people will live on the fringe with Edge data speeds, Tmobile coverage, and use older OS versions for fear of losing their unlocks, speaks volumes to the extent people will go to avoid AT&T.
The FCC/DOJ should consider this in assessing the damage a Tmobile acquisition will do to consumer choice and the strength being afforded to the Sister Bell's control over the market.

Really, maybe those people have good access to wifi.

I live on Long Island and have cable through Cablevision. They give their subscribers fast Wifi all over the NY metro area. Additionally, they have reciprocal agreements with Time Warner and Comcast. In other words, I have Wifi virtually everywhere in the NYC metro area. While I still have an unlimited data plan with ATT, I use very little data over 3G. Plenty of other areas around the country have ubiquitous wifi.

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
I'm one of 'em. Got a used 3G on a really good deal and didn't want a data plan at all at the time. I was just sick of carrying my phone and my iPod touch around with me all the time. I've since gotten a data plan, but it is MUCH cheaper than if I were on AT&T. With all that said though, I'm probably jumping to Verizon when the iPhone 5 comes out.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I'm one of 'em. Got a used 3G on a really good deal and didn't want a data plan at all at the time. I was just sick of carrying my phone and my iPod touch around with me all the time. I've since gotten a data plan, but it is MUCH cheaper than if I were on AT&T. With all that said though, I'm probably jumping to Verizon when the iPhone 5 comes out.

That's one thing all us T-Mobile we users on the old $6/month EDGE data plan have to figure out.

AT&T in their rules states the right to automatically put an iPhone user not on one of their iPhone data plans on one.

They are soooooo looking forward to these 1 million users, most I assume, are not on such a plan.

dmcaudio

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
Jailbreaking is not illegal. At all.

That's right, according to changes to the DMCA a while back. While it's technically still against Apple's TOS and will void your warranty, it's a suitable risk for those of us who don't want to use AT&T. Plus I LOVE not being forced into a data plan with T-Mobile. I have my phone MY way. 2 Lines (both iphones), unlimited minutes, $79.99 a month, and I just tether 3G from my iPad when i really need to. 1 Data plan, 3 devices, just the way it should be!

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
The fact that 1 million people will live on the fringe with Edge data speeds, Tmobile coverage, and use older OS versions for fear of losing their unlocks, speaks volumes to the extent people will go to avoid AT&T....

Yep, I know I would. If I could get an iPhone to work on Sprint, I would dump my HTC Evo faster than you can say "Android sucks (insert your own explicative here)." Picture the Office Space scene with the fax machine.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
I am an iPhone user on T-Mobile. I don't have a data plan (I did in the past), I just have Wifi about everywhere I go.

When I did have EDGE data is was good enough to use google maps when in a pinch, check a blog, or get email. Not the fastest, but serviceable while out and about.

T-Mobile service is great where I live and I haven't had any problems.

I will admit, that it took me forever to upgrade to the latest OS because I don't like the hassle of jailbreaking. I let several updates pass.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

Just saying, most of the people that have an iphone on t-mobile are there because of the cheap data plans they can get. My friend was doing it for 2 years because it was cheap yet he always got no service. He finally switched to att and has perfect service. Im sure most wouldnt do it if t-mobile forced smart phone data plans on them.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
Back in May when I went to the US I took my unlocked iPhone 4 over and bought a T-Mobile SIM. The salesperson didn't seem all that worried about me telling him that I would use it in my iPhone 4. He even offered me a pair of scissors so I could cut it right then and there at the store!

I believe this.

reactions

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Sacramento
Hmmm. Maybe all these illegal jailbreakers should be prosecuted..

And yet another troll..

I had run on the tmobile network and if you are single and want a good price per month tmobile is a great alternative to AT&T

I'm surprised there aren't more people

$5.99 unlimited Internet was nice while I had it ;)

Last edited:

bergert

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
The fact that 1 million people will live on the fringe with Edge data speeds, Tmobile coverage, and use older OS versions for fear of losing their unlocks, speaks volumes to the extent people will go to avoid AT&T. The FCC/DOJ should consider this in assessing the damage a Tmobile acquisition will do to consumer choice and the strength being afforded to the Sister Bell's control over the market.

I am an ex-ATT customer; had a CDMA phone and also GSM chip for worldwide roaming (both from ATT). The voice service was so-so; but had on-going problems with over-billing. I stayed only because of the GSM roaming (most of the world uses GSM). In 96 when VoiceStream came along I switched; and never looked back to ATT. 2001 was "merged" into T-Mobile; and am customer ever since. Service is good (as good as ATT) and billing just works. Sometimes the see-your-bill page is down; but that's not an issue if all your bills are correct. ATT was not even able to answer my issues on phone or even in the ATTshop. They said yes, you are right - we fix it. And then nothing happened. For years. Even filed a complaint to FCC for fraudulent operations. Nobody cared.

If they merge with ATT I will move to Verizon.

ckd

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
I had a 3GS (factory unlocked, bought in Rome from TIM) and now have a 4 (factory unlocked, bought from the Apple Store in Toronto); I've been using one or the other on T-Mobile for almost two years now. I have a grandfathered data plan (unlimited data + HotSpot access) that I'd been using with my old SonyEricsson phone, and guess what? Tethering works and doesn't cost extra. (I'd tethered with the SE phone before I got the 3GS.)

Assuming that the 4S/5 will be available unlocked in the US (since the 4 is now), that's likely to be my next phone (and I won't need to plan a trip around getting it).

Yes, I only get EDGE speeds when I'm not in Wi-Fi range. BFD. At home or at work, I get much better than 4G speeds, and when I'm out all I really need is enough bandwidth to check mail, do a quick Maps lookup, or use CatchTheBus. Also, with 3G turned off my battery life is great.

(Why a factory unlocked phone? I don't trust jailbreaks, and I don't want to have to wait for OS upgrades.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.