PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.8

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 23, 2011, 03:01 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/23/apple-releases-mac-os-x-10-6-8/)

As hinted at (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/mac-os-x-10-6-8-release-imminent/) earlier this week, Apple has now released Mac OS X 10.6.8, the eighth maintenance update for Snow Leopard, via Software Update. The update offers a number of fixes implemented since the release of Mac OS X 10.6.7 in late March (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/21/apple-releases-mac-os-x-10-6-7/).The 10.6.8 update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including fixes that:

- Enhance the Mac App Store to get your Mac ready to upgrade to Mac OS X Lion
- Resolve an issue that may cause Preview to unexpectedly quit
- Improve support for IPv6
- Improve VPN reliability
- Identify and remove known variants of Mac Defender

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4561.
For information on the security content of this update, please visit: <a href=http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222">http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222</a>.Direct links for the various downloads on Apple's support pages should be going live shortly.

Thanks to MacUpdate (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/13052/Apple%20Mac%20OS%20X) for the heads-up!

Article Link: Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.8 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/23/apple-releases-mac-os-x-10-6-8/)

Badbaw
Jun 23, 2011, 03:02 PM
Lion OS X incoming! Hopefully early July!

drewisanapple
Jun 23, 2011, 03:04 PM
I'm throwing this out there, July 5th, seems like the perfect date.

roland.g
Jun 23, 2011, 03:07 PM
Sure would like a 10.7.0 release date. July 1 or 2 would work nicely.

MacHiavelli
Jun 23, 2011, 03:07 PM
installed on MBP. Working fine :)

MBP13
Jun 23, 2011, 03:09 PM
I'm installing it now. This is my first time that I'm installing an update for Snow Leopard 10.6 so I'm a little excited lol.

:cool:

Eidorian
Jun 23, 2011, 03:09 PM
It is a surprisingly quiet release.

sand0s
Jun 23, 2011, 03:10 PM
it must be nice to not have to worry about app compatibility before upgrading to a major OSX release... i don't care when Lion comes out because i know it'll be months before i'd be able to touch the thing.

[but the sooner the better, don't get me wrong]

rmwebs
Jun 23, 2011, 03:11 PM
Hmm...just noticed the MBP is still on 10.6.2....time for an upgrade me thinks!

doboy
Jun 23, 2011, 03:12 PM
Lion OS X incoming! Hopefully early July!

Screw Lion, hopefully new MacBook Air is coming early July!:)

motulist
Jun 23, 2011, 03:14 PM
PLEASE DONT POST COMMENTS THAT SAY "I'M DOWNLOADING IT NOW."

Every time there's an OS update we get like 3 pages of people saying things like "I'm downloading it now" and "It says 30 more minutes till my download is done" etc. Please just wait until your download has been finished and fully installed and you have something worthwhile to say about it. Even if you're just saying "I've installed it and everything is running fine and I see no changes" at least that gives us some small amount of relevant info.

Thanks. :)

justinfreid
Jun 23, 2011, 03:21 PM
I'm installing it now. This is my first time that I'm installing an update for Snow Leopard 10.6 so I'm a little excited lol.

:cool:

Wow - are you upgrading by a full 0.0.8 or did you get a Mac that had something later than 10.6 installed and you're just updating for the first time since you got it? Between your signature and your username I'm guessing you've had your computer for a while.

stephens2424
Jun 23, 2011, 03:26 PM
Are others having trouble getting to the support article with details? I'm curious as to what the IPv6 improvements are.

MartiNZ
Jun 23, 2011, 03:27 PM

I'm figuring first week seeing as the free upgrade period surely wouldn't be much more than 30 days. Do we do these things on Tuesdays? That would make it the 5th - I guess it doesn't make any difference in AppStore world.

It would certainly be a nice change from Apple's usual announcement for LAST DAY OF THE MONTH. Oh well, meantime I love a good update more than most, so here we go. And I still have my 10.3 and 10.5 t-shirts so will handle no merchandise with digital Lion release ... maybe even go in search of one with a lion on it just for kicks :D.

Ratatapa
Jun 23, 2011, 03:28 PM
The articles are down

I wanna know the VPN ajustments!

Eddyisgreat
Jun 23, 2011, 03:28 PM
Any PGP users wanna weigh in on if this release breaks anything?

jvmxtra
Jun 23, 2011, 03:30 PM
I haven't tried it but hopefully this will address couple issues

1)vpn issue. Last upgrade broke vpn. (once you are on vpn, no other internet works except vpn'd stuff. (it used to work before last upgrade).

2)external monitor flickering issue. Whatever happen to this? My external monitor STILL flickers.. wth is going on apple?

Hopefully when I get home, I will try this out(unless someone already tested these).

Just to confirm like others I'm not downloading this now.

portishead

Every time there's an OS update we get like 3 pages of people saying things like "I'm downloading it now" and "It says 30 more minutes till my download is done" etc. Please just wait until your download has been finished and fully installed and you have something worthwhile to say about it. Even if you're just saying "I've installed it and everything is running fine and I see no changes" at least that gives us some small amount of relevant info.

I love this, and I totally agree, but the reason I would never post that is because people don't like to be told what you do. Now everyone is just going to quote you and reply with something they think is clever and funny.

greytmom
Jun 23, 2011, 03:31 PM

Oh come now. It could always be worse... someone could post updates in 60 second increments.

"I'm downloading it now - 30 minutes to go."

"Hmm. It's been 60 seconds but it says 26 minutes left. What gives?"

"Whoa. Another 60 seconds, and now it says 45 minutes to go? I don't understand."

And so on and so on. Hee.

MBP13
Jun 23, 2011, 03:32 PM
Wow - are you upgrading by a full 0.0.8 or did you get a Mac that had something later than 10.6 installed and you're just updating for the first time since you got it? Between your signature and your username I'm guessing you've had your computer for a while.

No lol. I've been running Snow Leopard 10.6.7 on both the iMac and MacBook Pro since I've had them. I just tend to get excited for no reason at all.

Mainly, it's because I've been saying "10.6.7" when I talk to my Mac friends, but now I get to say "10.6.8."! :D

DCJ001
Jun 23, 2011, 03:33 PM

Wouldn't 7/7/11 make much more sense for 10.7?

When it happens, you'll remember this post!

wikus
Is there any reason why Apple can't implement TRIM into a Snow Leopard update?

Xtremehkr
There don't seem to be any problems after this update, everything is working as it should. There don't appear to be any noticeable changes to the App Store and VPNOD is still working, albeit slower than normal. That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the update, sometimes it's just slow.

MagnusVonMagnum
Jun 23, 2011, 03:34 PM
Oh boy. The biggest features of this release is that it gets you ready to upgrade to another version of the operating system. What does it do? Install docking clamps to the warp drive, power up the transporter and set phasers to stun? :D

Enjoy it folks. There will be no more updates to Snow Leopard except for security updates. This will be the last version of OSX period for some. I certainly see no pending reason to upgrade (at least until software I use/need requires it). Most of the new Lion features are pointless at best (namely all the iOS ones; my desktop is not a giant iPad and shouldn't be treated as one).

motulist
Jun 23, 2011, 03:34 PM
I love this, and I totally agree, but the reason I would never post that is because people don't like to be told what you do. Now everyone is just going to quote you and reply with something they think is clever and funny.

I knew it would happen, but as lame as many of those attempted joke reply posts are, I still prefer them to the "I'm downloading it now" posts.

Stok3
Jun 23, 2011, 03:35 PM
Wouldn't 7/7/11 make much more sense for 10.7?

When it happens, you'll remember this post!

works for me, thats my birthday.

MBP13
There don't appear to be any noticeable changes to the App Store and VPNOD is still working, albeit slower than normal. That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the update, sometimes it's just slow.

That's good to hear..It took quite a while to load the desktop, dock, and file bar after updating to 10.6.8. Everything else is going great.

Now I need to update my signature..

MacSter2011
hope this fixes the mbp no sleep no matter what if it's open problem. I tried everything!!!!!

petvas
Jun 23, 2011, 03:36 PM
Downloaded and installed the update in five minutes. I don't see any differences so far, but then none were expected.

techguy20
Jun 23, 2011, 03:44 PM
Those who are not downloading the update, just curious as to why you aren't.

Any reason? Is it that the servers may be slower now that everyone is downloading it?

EGOvoruhk
it must be nice to not have to worry about app compatibility before upgrading to a major OSX release...

Lion is not a major release, it's a point release. A major release would be going from OS 9 -> OS X, or sometime in the near future OS X -> OS XI

hfletcher
I must admit, SL is pretty stable now. I might not upgrade to Lion until 10.7.1..

MikeCa
Jun 23, 2011, 03:47 PM
Lion is not a major release, it's a point release. A major release would be going from OS 9 -> OS X, or sometime in the near future OS X -> OS XI

No way, Apple treats 0.1 as a major release.

daneoni
Jun 23, 2011, 03:48 PM
...and that concludes the era of Mac OS X (10.6) Snow Leopard.

minchman
Jun 23, 2011, 03:48 PM

Sorry, you're wrong.

motivio
Jun 23, 2011, 03:50 PM
What build number does the new 10.6.8 have?

Thanks,
JO

celui

Tiger was a pointless release, Leopard was a pointless release, snow leopard was less than a pointless release... But all in all, OSX has changed in major ways.

kbmb
What build number does the new 10.6.8 have?

Thanks,
JO

Build 10K540

-Kevin

chrono1081
Jun 23, 2011, 03:51 PM
it must be nice to not have to worry about app compatibility before upgrading to a major OSX release... i don't care when Lion comes out because i know it'll be months before i'd be able to touch the thing.

Same here. I'm on a fence. I need OpenGL 3.2 support because I want to learn to program in it (I really need to learn to program in it) but I also need to make sure that:

Maya 2011 0r 2012
ZBrush
Mudbox
Houdini
Unity3D
Photoshop CS5
Corona SDK
Coda
TextMate
Corel Painter 11

and I think thats it for super critical software work in it first. I can drop Houdini and Mudbox since I can get what I want from ZBrush for Mudbox and I don't use Houdini that much but it is useful.

Once I know those work I'll be good to upgrade!

Xtremehkr
The next step would be to start tweeting your download status, I guess.

Okay, download's coming out.

Stok3
Tiger was a pointless release, Leopard was a pointless release, snow leopard was less than a pointless release... But all in all, OSX has changed in major ways.
firstly none of those you listed were pointless releases. Secondly, why do you use Macs if you feel that way about it?

EGOvoruhk
Jun 23, 2011, 03:52 PM
No way, Apple treats 0.1 as a major release.

So then what's a whole new point release considered? A Major major release? :confused:

Sorry, you're wrong.

According to who, Apple? According the majority of software developers/releases, I'm right

Small White Car
Jun 23, 2011, 03:53 PM
According to who, Apple? According the majority of software developers/releases, I'm right

So the majority of software developers don't consdier Windows 98 to be a "real update?"

Uh...sure.

hfletcher
Jun 23, 2011, 03:53 PM
Sorry, you're wrong.

Windows DOS/9x to Windows NT, as OS9 is to OSX.....
So, depends what a 'Major' release is. Though I would say each 10.x is a 'Major' release, and X to XI would be a complete rewrite?

Kyle4
Jun 23, 2011, 03:54 PM
Downloaded and installed on a 13' Macbook Pro and 21 inch iMac, haven't noticed any changes at all. On bootup for the MBP a pop up said, "You are running GetBackUpAgent for the first time", that was about it.

EGOvoruhk
Jun 23, 2011, 03:54 PM
So the majority of software developers don't consdier Windows 98 to be a "real update?"

Uh...sure.

It's a major release. What in my argument would make Windows 98 not a "real update"?..

celui
Jun 23, 2011, 03:55 PM
firstly none of those you listed were pointless releases. Secondly, why do you use Macs if you feel that way about it?

You lose. Do you wanna try again?

duckduckgoose
does this mean lion dp4 works on 2011 macbook pros now?

Evmanw

Any reason? Is it that the servers may be slower now that everyone is downloading it?

Why restart my computer and wait for it to download? It is not even brining any new features or anything. There is no reason. Why ARE people so excited for this?

Stok3
Windows DOS/9x to Windows NT, as OS9 is to OSX.....
So, depends what a 'Major' release is. Though I would say each 10.x is a 'Major' release, and X to XI would be a complete rewrite?

I agree. every 10.x is a major update considering the initial proposed timeline of OS X, which Steve said would be 10-15 years.

Small White Car
Jun 23, 2011, 03:56 PM
It's a major release. What in my argument would make Windows 98 not a "real update"?..

Because, according to you, Windows 95 -> Windows 98 is just a number change.

Or something.

I'm not sure exactly what your argument is, but I can safely say that Snow Leopard -> Lion is about the same amount of changes as W95 -> W98.

Whatever it is you're saying about one you must also be saying about the other.

andys53
Installed and running happily on a 2010 MBP.

Detektiv-Pinky
Are others having trouble getting to the support article with details? I'm curious as to what the IPv6 improvements are.

Well, the support article is equally vague.
I am not sure how we could find out. Maybe OSX supports DHCPv6 now? It was supposed to come with Lion, maybe they also put it into 10.6.8 :confused:

RMo
Jun 23, 2011, 03:57 PM
So then what's a whole new point release considered? A Major major release? :confused:
Perhaps you've noticed that it's been 10 years since they've changed the so-called "major" version number--so your point is moot. They, apparently, don't do it (for OS X, anyway; compare iOS).

In fact, it will get very interesting should they choose to do so. OS XI? iOS X? (Yeah, I hope not either, but... :))

minchman
Jun 23, 2011, 03:58 PM
Are you a software developer? Speak for yourself. Apple's numbering schemes don't have to follow any of your rules. Try to think outside of the box.

asdf542
Jun 23, 2011, 03:58 PM
Looks like this will be one of if not the last security update for Leopard.

Kariya
Jun 23, 2011, 04:00 PM
You lose. Do you wanna try again?

???

Why would he play some dumb game you've apparently just conjured up from the ether. You're wrong. Deal with it.

gpc17
Jun 23, 2011, 04:01 PM
Just installed on my mbp 2010.. The same thing as before.. I'm just really excited about mac os x lion...

BornAgainMac
Jun 23, 2011, 04:01 PM
This is a good sign that Lion is coming early July. I am hoping it is available to download in 2 weeks.

EGOvoruhk
Jun 23, 2011, 04:03 PM
Are you a software developer? Speak for yourself. Apple's numbering schemes don't have to follow any of your rules. Try to think outside of the box.

My rules? Hahaha, right...

Because, according to you, Windows 95 -> Windows 98 is just a number change.

Or something.

I'm not sure exactly what your argument is, but I can safely say that Snow Leopard -> Lion is about the same amount of changes as W95 -> W98.

Whatever it is you're saying about one you must also be saying about the other.

What!? That's not what I said at all. I said nothing about number changes, I said point releases

1.0 -> 1.1 is what is considered a point release in the software world
1.1 -> 2.0 is what is considered a major release

Windows 95 -> 98 would be a major release
OS 9 -> OS X would be a major release

Anything less is, well, not a major release regardless of how Apple spins it. I don't know why this is something offensive to all of you, it wasn't an insult. I only brought it up to him because you have less to worry about when it comes to compatibility when you're dealing with point releases, because core components are less likely to change. Just look at what moving from XP to Vista broke, or OS 9 to X

superericla
Jun 23, 2011, 04:04 PM
does this mean lion dp4 works on 2011 macbook pros now?

Lion DP4 has been working on 2011 MacBook Pros for quite some time now. There are just a few people with issues. It's running fine on my 2011 base 15" MacBook Pro.

swissmann
Jun 23, 2011, 04:07 PM
I agree that posting pointless bits of info make for more reading for a lot of people, but everyone has the right to do as they please.

Here's what I noticed:
A bit sluggish on restart
Activity Monitor said MDT was using a fair amount of resourced - a guess this is a Mac Defender eradicator so ok with it

No real changes things that still need work:

Watching Perform this Way by Weird Al on You Tube in 720p and fullscreen can't catch up (I have latest version of flash installed and on a 27" iMac i7 so flash is still slow)

In icon view shift clicking does not select a range but acts like command clicking does.

In iCal when you perform the goto date and then type in the date and hit enter the enter command is not recorded but the mouse needs to click on the OK button.

In iCal when you search for something then you change it’s repeating pattern you need to delete your search terms and research for it.

I have a list of first names in Pages. I make a PDF using the built in print to PDF feature then open the PDF and select the list (each one separated by a return) and copy and paste into a spreadsheet. The returns are missing and seems to pick a predetermined length per cell before it wraps to a cell lower. This was fine in 10.5 but not now in 10.6.

When opening a folder from a stack by Command Clicking on it the window size and location isn’t memorized from the last time but rather defaults to another window size and location.

If I notice anything else helpful I'll post it. I hope the switch to Lion goes as smoothly but probably not.

Small White Car
Jun 23, 2011, 04:07 PM
I don't know why this is something offensive to all of you, it wasn't an insult.

Apple: Every few years comes out with a new OS with many changes that they charge money for. Offer minor free updates in between.

Microsoft: Every few years comes out with a new OS with many changes that they charge money for. Offer minor free updates in between.

Looks the same to me. I don't care WHAT you call them, the point is they're the same. Call them major, call them points, call them pudding. I don't care. The "offensive" part is that you said Apple's are "not major" and then said that Microsoft's are major.

I don't care what term you use, but to call them different things does sound a lot like an insult to Apple.

zaphoyd
Jun 23, 2011, 04:10 PM
Well, the support article is equally vague.
I am not sure how we could find out. Maybe OSX supports DHCPv6 now? It was supposed to come with Lion, maybe they also put it into 10.6.8 :confused:

I did a quick poke around the network related preference panes and utilities and couldn't find anything. IPv6 config options are still in advanced under network prefs and automatic/manual are still the only options. Network utility gui for ping/traceroute/etc still is IPv4 only. If anyone finds anything actually different please share.

Cougarcat
Jun 23, 2011, 04:10 PM
This is a good sign that Lion is coming early July. I am hoping it is available to download in 2 weeks.

I wouldn't read too much into it. 10.6.8 had "no issues" for several weeks now. It got released regardless of Lion's schedule.

BTW, anyone know what the enhancements to the App store actually are? How exactly does it prepare for Lion?

8CoreWhore
Jun 23, 2011, 04:11 PM
I found code in it that points to a 50 inch TV! :D

MrMoore
Jun 23, 2011, 04:11 PM
I thought that it was "You're holding it wrong"....

Ouch! You're correct. I guess that is why I never pick on people who typo or misspell, never know when you might do one you'reself. ;)

dfs
Jun 23, 2011, 04:12 PM
Question: to do a clean install of Lion you have to install Snow Leopard first from a disk. Do you then have to upgrade to 10.6.8 before installing Lion, or can you go directly from 10.6.1?

laudern
Jun 23, 2011, 04:14 PM
I think motulist should become a new mod/supreme ruler of these humble forums!

8CoreWhore
Personally, I find posts complaining about other people's posts or post "types" to be lamer than the posts the complainer is complaining about. Such posts tend not to solve the original irritant and instead spawn a meta-discussion about the futility of posting to stop people posting. Then that spawns a discussion about the futility of posting to stop people posting to stop posting. And so on. Metas all the way down. Cheers. :)

...and you're complaining about those posts. :p

EGOvoruhk
The "offensive" part is that you said Apple's are "not major" and then said that Microsoft's are major.

I didn't bring up Microsoft, someone else did

But the fact still remains that Apple themselves doesn't think their updates are significant enough to label them as such. They see no problem to changing versions with iOS, so it's not like they don't know the difference

mysticalos
Jun 23, 2011, 04:15 PM
those that say this is a minor update. Apple just sucks at release notes, they don't mention the fact that this has significantly newer video drivers then 10.6.7, or even the ones included on the 2011 mac refreshes. The drivers also fix a few bugs in 3d applications/games (why do you think the new final cut pro recommends 10.6.8?

In any case, often apple only mentions small details about an update. I wish they did verbose change logs but they don't even do that in dev seeds anymore, haven't since like 10.5.x days. :(

Meriana
Jun 23, 2011, 04:15 PM

What!? That's not what I said at all. I said nothing about number changes, I said point releases

Anything less is, well, not a major release regardless of how Apple spins it. I don't know why this is something offensive to all of you, it wasn't an insult. I only brought it up to him because you have less to worry about when it comes to compatibility when you're dealing with point releases, because core components are less likely to change. Just look at what moving from XP to Vista broke, or OS 9 to X

Question for you is Windows Vista ---> Windows 7
or Windows 2000 --> Windows XP a

major release?

DCJ001
Jun 23, 2011, 04:16 PM
Question: to do a clean install of Lion you have to install Snow Leopard first from a disk. Do you then have to upgrade to 10.6.8 before installing Lion, or can you go directly from 10.6.1?

Since the Mac App Store is not included until 10.6.6...

and you need the Mac App Store to download 10.7...

you do the math.

daneoni
Jun 23, 2011, 04:17 PM
Watching Perform this Way by Weird Al on You Tube in 720p and fullscreen can't catch up (I have latest version of flash installed and on a 27" iMac i7 so flash is still slow)

Can't say i had a problem with this both 1080 and 720 worked fine. PS the vid is hilarious.

highADP
TRIM support- Yes

YAY!!!

8CoreWhore
"Major releases" are new cat names.

wonderspark
Jun 23, 2011, 04:18 PM
Updated and tested.

FCP X still works the same... but more importantly, Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and all the other CS5 suite tools work!

Now to make sure it didn't break my method of playing commercial Blu-ray movies via MakeMKV and VLC...

MrMoore
Jun 23, 2011, 04:18 PM
I didn't bring up Microsoft, someone else did

But the fact still remains that Apple themselves doesn't think their updates are significant enough to label them as such. They see no problem to changing versions with iOS, so it's not like they don't know the difference

Windows 2000 (Version 5.0)
Windows XP (Version 5.1)
Windows Vista (Version 6.0)
Windows 7 (Version 6.1).

So the only reason XP and 7 are considered major version is the name? According to Microsoft they are only .1 releases.

rdowns
Jun 23, 2011, 04:19 PM
I think Safari feels "Snappier!!""

Really? THis hasn't been funny since 2005.

commander.data
Jun 23, 2011, 04:20 PM
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4723

Skimming through the security notes, it seems there are quite a few fixes that target only Snow Leopard and not Leopard. For the Leopard only fixes, they tend to note that either Snow Leopard is not affected or already has a fix in place. However, for the Snow Leopard only fixes, they don't mention anything about Leopard. I wonder if this means that Leopard isn't affected or is Apple implying that they are just leaving it unpatched?

trfjason
Jun 23, 2011, 04:22 PM
I installed the update to my MacBook Pro 13 2010. I have Intel X25-M SSD 80GB installed. Before the update, I used the hack to enable TRIM. After the 10.6.8 update, I checked System Profiler and now it says

TRIM Support: No

I wonder if Apple will ever officially support TRIM on third party SSD.

interconnect
Jun 23, 2011, 04:22 PM
And this is another lame comment/attempt at humour. It stopped being funny a long time ago.

I still find it funny. Actually, I find it even funnier when people get pissed off when someone says it.

4God
Jun 23, 2011, 04:24 PM
Is this new in the system profiler?

EGOvoruhk
Jun 23, 2011, 04:25 PM
Question for you is Windows Vista ---> Windows 7
or Windows 2000 --> Windows XP a

major release?

I would say all 4 of them are major releases, but 2000 -> XP isn't really an upgrade path, they're two parallel products. One for home, and one for enterprise

Windows XP (Version 5.1)
Windows 7 (Version 6.1).

So the only reason XP and 7 are considered major version is the name? According to Microsoft they are only .1 releases.

That's only the kernel versioning. It was done for nothing more than software compatibility reasons. But if you want to think that, sure

As said before, I didn't bring Microsoft into the argument, and there are plenty of other development trees you can look at

duckduckgoose
Jun 23, 2011, 04:25 PM
Lion DP4 has been working on 2011 MacBook Pros for quite some time now. There are just a few people with issues. It's running fine on my 2011 base 15" MacBook Pro.

ah fair enough, just thought a lot of people, along with me, were having trouble getting it to install. Good to hear.

goose!

trfjason
Jun 23, 2011, 04:26 PM

I believe so, I see that on my 2010 MBP.

Reach9
Jun 23, 2011, 04:26 PM
Here's hoping for a 4th of July release! Lots of fireworks then!

KPOM
Jun 23, 2011, 04:27 PM

Anything less is, well, not a major release regardless of how Apple spins it. I don't know why this is something offensive to all of you, it wasn't an insult.

That isn't accurate. Versioning conventions aren't applied consistently, even by the same company. Sometimes a point release is as significant as a new version number.

Windows 95 to 98 was about the same in terms of new features as OS X 10.4 to 10.5. Arguably the leap from 98 to 98SE was as big, even though that was just a point release. 98SE to Me was a new "version number" but was another point release in practical terms.

In general, the jumps between each point release of OS X have been pretty substantial, though not as significant as the leap from OS 9 to OS X. The jump from OS 9 to OS X was about as monumental as the jump from Windows 3.1 to 95, or from 98SE/Me to XP. Those leaps involved new kernels.

XP to Vista was substantial (though it had the same fundamental kernel), but Vista to 7 was about the same as 10.5 to 10.6. If you dig into the command line of Windows 7, you'll see that it's coded as 6.1 (Vista was 6.0). Yet they went with 7 for marketing purposes to distance themselves from the disaster that was Vista.

macsmurf
I installed the update to my MacBook Pro 13 2010. I have Intel X25-M SSD 80GB installed. Before the update, I used the hack to enable TRIM. After the 10.6.8 update, I checked System Profiler and now it says

TRIM Support: No

I wonder if Apple will ever officially support TRIM on third party SSD.

Doubtful. Standard anti-competitive practice.

techguy20
Why restart my computer and wait for it to download? It is not even brining any new features or anything. There is no reason. Why ARE people so excited for this?

If you are planning on upgrading to Lion in a few weeks, you will need this update to prepare the App Store for that installation. Likewise, the update also provides stability improvements to Preview and other security enhancements.

commander.data
Jun 23, 2011, 04:28 PM
Here's hoping for a 4th of July release! Lots of fireworks then!
Also lots of overtime to keep the full support staff in place during a holiday. Luckily Apple is swimming in cash.

*LTD*
Jun 23, 2011, 04:29 PM
Too late.

Using Lion DP4 as my main OS since it was released.

10.6 is a distant memory now.

wonderspark
Jun 23, 2011, 04:30 PM

I see it on my 2009 Mac Pro, too.

silentnite
Jun 23, 2011, 04:30 PM
Hopefully the last update before Lion. Happy to be a part of this final stage:D

IzzyJG99
Jun 23, 2011, 04:31 PM
I see it on my 2009 Mac Pro, too.

I see the Thunderbolt option, too and I'm on a 2010 iMac.

motulist
Jun 23, 2011, 04:32 PM

No, that's the same profiler that's always been there. The new profiler is coming in Lion.

G4DP
Jun 23, 2011, 04:34 PM
No, that's the same profiler that's always been there. The new profiler is coming in Lion.

Sorry, but your wrong. The Lightning Bang option is new.

dacreativeguy
Jun 23, 2011, 04:34 PM
Oh boy. The biggest features of this release is that it gets you ready to upgrade to another version of the operating system. What does it do? Install docking clamps to the warp drive, power up the transporter and set phasers to stun? :D

Enjoy it folks. There will be no more updates to Snow Leopard except for security updates. This will be the last version of OSX period for some. I certainly see no pending reason to upgrade (at least until software I use/need requires it). Most of the new Lion features are pointless at best (namely all the iOS ones; my desktop is not a giant iPad and shouldn't be treated as one).

You are misinformed. Lion brings built in Full Disk Encryption, Time Machine Backup Encryption, Offline Time Machine backups, Auto-save, etc. etc. etc. If you are concerned about Launch Pad, just remove it from the doc. It is just an app. There is nothing that forces iOS onto your Mac in any way.

AidenShaw
Jun 23, 2011, 04:35 PM
Windows XP (Version 5.1)
Windows 7 (Version 6.1).

This has nothing to do with whether a release is major or minor. (All 4 releases that you mention are "major" - since Microsoft asked for money to upgrade. Service packs are free, and are therefore minor releases.)

The internal version number (5.* and 6.*) are mostly invisible to the user, and are available for privileged software to query the OS to determine the API support. If your driver uses V5.0 APIs, then V5.* is fine. If you use an extension released in V5.2, you'll check for that.

Although I can't imagine finding anyone who doesn't consider Windows 7 to be a major update from Windows Vista, at the privileged API level it was a minor, mostly compatible, update. Therefore, Vista and Windows 7 are both major version 6.

The minor version was updated from .0 to .1 so that software that depended on extensions in Windows 7 could make intelligent decisions. (For example, the installer might check major/minor versions to choose which files to install - or whether to generate an error message and abort.)

motulist
Sorry, but your wrong. The Lightning Bang option is new.

That listing is new, but the System Profiler software itself is the same.

THIS is the new System Profiler software.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1104098

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103899

minchman
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anything less is, well, not a major release regardless of how Apple spins it. I don't know why this is something offensive to all of you, it wasn't an insult.

That isn't accurate. Versioning conventions aren't applied consistently, even by the same company. Sometimes a point release is as significant as a new version number.

Windows 95 to 98 was about the same in terms of new features as OS X 10.4 to 10.5. Arguably the leap from 98 to 98SE was as big, even though that was just a point release. 98SE to Me was a new "version number" but was another point release in practical terms.

In general, the jumps between each point release of OS X have been pretty substantial, though not as significant as the leap from OS 9 to OS X. The jump from OS 9 to OS X was about as monumental as the jump from Windows 3.1 to 95, or from 98SE/Me to XP. Those leaps involved new kernels.

XP to Vista was substantial (though it had the same fundamental kernel), but Vista to 7 was about the same as 10.5 to 10.6. If you dig into the command line of Windows 7, you'll see that it's coded as 6.1 (Vista was 6.0). Yet they went with 7 for marketing purposes to distance themselves from the disaster that was Vista.

Beautifully said. Hopefully he understands now.

foidulus
Jun 23, 2011, 04:37 PM
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4723

Skimming through the security notes, it seems there are quite a few fixes that target only Snow Leopard and not Leopard. For the Leopard only fixes, they tend to note that either Snow Leopard is not affected or already has a fix in place. However, for the Snow Leopard only fixes, they don't mention anything about Leopard. I wonder if this means that Leopard isn't affected or is Apple implying that they are just leaving it unpatched?

Most likely Leopard isn't affected....BUT, and this is a huge but, given Apple's history this is probably the LAST Leopard security update you will ever see. Any flaws discovered from here on out will be left unpatched....probably. Apple has never made any comments about those kinds of things.

If this is true, this also means that most likely the Leopard security update will be the last PPC binary Apple ever pushes out.

A moment of silence if you please.

4God
Jun 23, 2011, 04:37 PM

Sorry I didn't clarify, but I was asking about Thunderbolt showing up in the profiler. Not the System Profiler itself. Thunderbolt didn't show in the profiler in 10.6.7 (just checked my wife's iMac).

EGOvoruhk
Jun 23, 2011, 04:38 PM
Beautifully said. Hopefully he understands now.

Hopefully I understand what? Nothing in his argument said anything about my original statement, which was that 10.7 isn't a major release

All he said was that (some of) the examples, the ones I didn't bring up, also weren't major releases. If anything, he helped my original statement

motulist
Jun 23, 2011, 04:39 PM
Sorry I didn't clarify, but I was asking about Thunderbolt showing up in the profiler. Not the System Profiler itself.

Ah, I see. Misunderstood.

daneoni
Jun 23, 2011, 04:39 PM
Servers are getting hammered 3hours?!

Eidorian
Jun 23, 2011, 04:40 PM
This has nothing to do with whether a release is major or minor. (All 4 releases that you mention are "major" - since Microsoft asked for money to upgrade. Service packs are free, and are therefore minor releases.)

The internal version number (5.* and 6.*) are mostly invisible to the user, and are available for privileged software to query the OS to determine the API support. If your driver uses V5.0 APIs, then V5.* is fine. If you use an extension released in V5.2, you'll check for that.

Although I can't imagine finding anyone who doesn't consider Windows 7 to be a major update from Windows Vista, at the privileged API level it was a minor, mostly compatible, update. Therefore, Vista and Windows 7 are both major version 6.

The minor version was updated from .0 to .1 so that software that depended on extensions in Windows 7 could make intelligent decisions. (For example, the installer might check major/minor versions to choose which files to install - or whether to generate an error message and abort.)It is 2008 all over again.

yamaha106
Jun 23, 2011, 04:41 PM

i dont think so, says about 7 mins for me and i have the 478mb version.

junker
That listing is new, but the System Profiler software itself is the same.

THIS is the new System Profiler software.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1104098

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103899

OOO preeeety!!!! :)

I love me some pretty picturz!

Haha!

Seriously, I do think it looks nice.

benthewraith
Just updated. hdapm apparently doesn't work in 10.6.8.

*LTD*
Jun 23, 2011, 04:42 PM
OOO preeeety!!!! :)

I love me some pretty picturz!

Haha!

Seriously, I do think it looks nice.

It's getting old for me. I've been running Lion DP as my main OS for the longest time. :D

AAPLaday
Jun 23, 2011, 04:42 PM

6 minutes here

MacBookPro13"
Jun 23, 2011, 04:44 PM
12 minutes to go. I hope it feels snappier after the reboot.

Eric5h5
Jun 23, 2011, 04:44 PM

Nope. OS 9 -> OS X is a different operating system. 10.6 -> 10.7 is a major release in the same way that Windows 95 -> 98 is.

I only brought it up to him because you have less to worry about when it comes to compatibility when you're dealing with point releases, because core components are less likely to change.

It would actually be nice if they were just minor point releases with no compatibility problems. In reality, stuff broke going from 10.4 -> 10.5. More stuff broke going from 10.5 -> 10.6. Going from 10.6 -> 10.7 will have some major breakage, namely all PPC software will stop functioning.

--Eric

MFP
Jun 23, 2011, 04:46 PM
I'm throwing this out there, July 5th, seems like the perfect date.

Lion on my birthday, perfect day. :)

minchman
Jun 23, 2011, 04:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm not offended and you shouldn't be either.

You don't think it's a major update because of the decimal point is in the wrong place. You're arguing over semantics.

magz0r
Jun 23, 2011, 04:47 PM
I have a Macbook Air with 128gb SSD. After the update System Profiler says TRIM-support: yes.

EGOvoruhk
Jun 23, 2011, 04:48 PM
OS 9 -> OS X is a different operating system

Which makes it somehow not a major release? :confused:

b.heitjan
Jun 23, 2011, 04:50 PM
TRIM-Support since 10.6.8 ! :)

EGOvoruhk
Jun 23, 2011, 04:50 PM
You don't think it's a major update because of the decimal point is in the wrong place. You're arguing over semantics.

It's not in the wrong place. They put it exactly where they meant to. As I said before, Apple does full version upgrades and point releases on iOS, so they know how to do it. They chose not to, for a reason

ProFont
Jun 23, 2011, 04:51 PM
Hopefully I understand what? Nothing in his argument said anything about my original statement, which was that 10.6.8 isn't a major release
Rereading this and your initial post I see your problem. You seem to think that Lion is a codeword for the 10.6.8 update.

It is not. Hope that helps. IHBT. HAND.

iKennett
Jun 23, 2011, 04:51 PM
I have a Macbook Air with 128gb SSD. After the update System Profiler says TRIM-support: yes.

Is this a big deal?

APPLE SSD TS128C:

Capacity: 121.33 GB (121,332,826,112 bytes)
Model: APPLE SSD TS128C
Revision: CJAA0201
Serial Number: <><><><><><>
Native Command Queuing: No
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Medium Type: Solid State
TRIM Support: Yes
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

carldavidguta
Jun 23, 2011, 04:52 PM
Finally TRIM-support :)

AidenShaw
Jun 23, 2011, 04:53 PM
Doubtful. Standard anti-competitive practice.

If Microsoft sold hard drives, and Microsoft added code to their OS to only support standard (but optional) SATA commands on hard drives sold by Microsoft - the DOJ and the press would be on them immediately.

Apple, however, with its tiny market share, can do whatever it wants - at least until Apple's customers get fed up.

daneoni
Jun 23, 2011, 04:53 PM
i dont think so, says about 7 mins for me and i have the 478mb version.

6 minutes here

I have the same version and my internet isn't exactly slow. Yet...

EGOvoruhk
Jun 23, 2011, 04:54 PM
Rereading this and your initial post I see your problem. You seem to think that Lion is a codeword for the 10.6.8 update.

It is not. Hope that helps. IHBT. HAND.

Whoops, my mistake. I actually meant to put 10.7. All this talk in a thread actually about 10.6.8 is confusing :D

res1233
Jun 23, 2011, 04:57 PM
Just got a new message from time machine saying that it has to create a new backup, replacing all the past backups, to increase reliability. The only problem with reliability i've had with time machine is in relation to its use of Sparsebundle disk images. Perhaps that's been fixed. That would certainly require a full backup.

fat jez
Jun 23, 2011, 05:02 PM

The minor version was updated from .0 to .1 so that software that depended on extensions in Windows 7 could make intelligent decisions. (For example, the installer might check major/minor versions to choose which files to install - or whether to generate an error message and abort.)

Actually, that was more to make sure that software that checked for version 5 didn't have a hissy fit over a major version number higher than it had been written for, e.g.

if nt_version <>5.x then
don't install
else
install

benthewraith
Jun 23, 2011, 05:04 PM
Just updated. hdapm apparently doesn't work in 10.6.8.

Never mind, got it to work. Have to add sudo in front of hdapm.

jlrathke
Jun 23, 2011, 05:04 PM
i don't care when Lion comes out because i know it'll be months before i'd be able to touch the thing.

This...kinda. I've never been an early adopter of new software. I like to be comfortable with my software and it seems there is invariably "bugs" that have to be worked out. I'll give it a couple of months to see if I want to upgrade after reading about it here. I want to see how the new changes are fairing before I commit my MBP to it. Heck, I just upgraded my Vista desktop to W7 a couple of months ago.

See above...

Jerry

stringent
Jun 23, 2011, 05:06 PM
While we are on version numbers, whats up with Chrome and Firefox. Version 12.0.742.100 and 5.0.0 respectively. Seems as if people don't care what a major and minor revision is now. Mozilla are gonna churn up the major numbers too it seems now.

michaelfengdayu
Jun 23, 2011, 05:07 PM
I guess I am the only one having issues here. After reboot, I was greeted by a message saying my system time is set to before 1990 (or something like that, i don't remember) then 2 pop-ups asking me to allow network access for msDNSreponder and krbkr5 (or something like that, i don't remember). Wifi password gone. opened keychain access, told me Im not authorized to see some of the password (Access to this item is restricted.). Mail keep asking me password for all my email account. Open safari, it told me almost on every website the certificate is expired. I was freaked out. restarted 2 times and a call to applecare finally quiet things down a bit.

Skorpion24
Jun 23, 2011, 05:08 PM
I've some problems too, some apps won't open anymore :confused:

minchman
Jun 23, 2011, 05:09 PM
It's not in the wrong place. They put it exactly where they meant to. As I said before, Apple does full version upgrades and point releases on iOS, so they know how to do it. They chose not to, for a reason

If their reason for choosing this numbering scheme is to confuse people like you, then I buy it. Otherwise, you're exactly right in that they "chose" this naming scheme. They know exactly what they are doing. They have also publicly said Lion is a major release. This argument comes down to you vs. Apple. So by your rules (or convention), I suggest you multiply all future OSX releases by 10. Don't hold your breath for OSXI.

labaom
Jun 23, 2011, 05:10 PM
The Era of a great OS comes to an end :(. Now we are stuck with Slow Lion.

motulist
Jun 23, 2011, 05:12 PM
The Era of a great OS comes to an end :(. Now we are stuck with Slow Lion.

I haven't heard about Lion being slow. Where did you hear that?

wikus
Jun 23, 2011, 05:12 PM
Finally TRIM-support :)

Is that for Apple branded SSD drives or for 3rd party ones like Intel or OCZ Vertex?

Samsumac
Jun 23, 2011, 05:13 PM
Mb pro c2D, updated to 10.6.8, won't boot properly any more. I have tried smc, repair permissions but no go.... Disastrous update for me....

CFreymarc
Jun 23, 2011, 05:14 PM
It is a surprisingly quiet release.

This is mostly a maintenance / security release. Not all Mac out there are going to go Lion. I can see a lot of first generation Mac Mini's not going Lion and staying Snow Lep as a side machine.

labaom
Jun 23, 2011, 05:15 PM
I haven't heard about Lion being slow. Where did you hear that?

Ive used it. Snow Leopard is much much better in terms of speed (ram peformance). Also mission control sucks.. regular expose make use of the whole screen. The UI.. dont get me started!

Macsterguy
10.6.8 Broke... Back to My Mac and remote file share for me. Anyone else?

benthewraith
Mb pro c2D, updated to 10.6.8, won't boot properly any more. I have tried smc, repair permissions but no go.... Disastrous update for me....

Archive install SL and download the combo updater.

motulist
Jun 23, 2011, 05:16 PM
I can see a lot of first generation Mac Mini's not going Lion and staying Snow Lep as a side machine.

First generation mac minis have PPC processors, not intel processors, so first gen mac minis are only able to go up to leopard, not even snow leopard.

autrefois
Jun 23, 2011, 05:20 PM
Depends what a 'Major' release is. Though I would say each 10.x is a 'Major' release, and X to XI would be a complete rewrite?

The new standard Apple has set to distinguish between a "major" release and a "complete rewrite" is as follows.

1) a Major release adds new functionality to make things look more like iOS. This would be a 0.1 release like Lion (LaunchPad, swipe to scroll between screens, etc.).

2) a Complete Rewrite on the other hand means that nothing you worked on in the previous version will actually open in the new one. This would be a 1.0 release like Final Cut "Pro". The next complete rewrite of Mac OS, kiss ALL your old OS X files goodbye and start over, because this is the future, man!*

* (Eventually, in a few weeks/months/years, or whenever they're good and ready, they may give you a way to import some of your old documents. But not upon the launch of the OS. )

WilliamG
Jun 23, 2011, 05:22 PM
I can no longer adjust my brightness of my late 2009 iMac with a MacBook Pro/XBOX 360/PS3 connected, after updating to 10.6.8. Lame! :(

WeegieMac
Jun 23, 2011, 05:22 PM
Well, this was the release I was waiting on.

Why, you ask?

Well basically I've been running DP4 of Lion on my internal drive for a few weeks now, and while it's perfectly usable, there's some RAM issues that cause my machine to slow significantly and require a reboot. I'm sure that'll be sorted for the public release, but that's not the point I'm making.

Basically I was waiting on 10.6.8 and the framework update it would bring to support the Lion upgrade from the Mac App Store, biding my time to format my internal drive with Lion on it (from my external running a basic installation of Snow Leopard) and do a full, clean 10.6.8 install on my internal drive in preparation for Lion's arrival on the Mac App Store.

My update came in at 1.09GB which I presume is because I installed 10.6.0 from my Snow Leopard retail DVD and as such required a full set of all updates including 10.6.8 (combo update no doubt).

Nice, quick, painless update. Roll on July and OS X Lion!

Lochias
Jun 23, 2011, 05:24 PM
Okay, what's going on?

I updated to 10.6.8.

Now iTunes will not download iPhone/iPad app updates because I "do not have the privilege to make changes."

I cannot move a folder of old files from a media drive to the trash, "because it can't be deleted"

I am trying to continue what I was doing immediately before the update, but it doesn't work.

gabo77
Jun 23, 2011, 05:25 PM

Holly cow I'm getting a kernel panic on startup right after the update... :( will have to troubleshoot after the class -_-

Winni
Jun 23, 2011, 05:26 PM

Sure. Windows 2000 to XP was a major release, but when you look at the version numbers, it only was a point release (5.0 to 5.1). Same happened with Vista and 7 - 6.0 to 6.1.

And when you look at most open source projects, your numbering schemes don't work at all anymore. Most open source projects still have not reached version 1.0, even when they've been around in stable releases for years.

There are no general rules for version numbers, everybody has their own numbering scheme and in Apple land, every new 10.x release is a major release and 10.x.y releases are point releases.

Skorpion24
Jun 23, 2011, 05:29 PM
Well nice, iTunes wont start and on safari the flash player crash everytime :(

PatrickCocoa
Jun 23, 2011, 05:30 PM
TRIM-Support since 10.6.8 ! :)

Oh no, my hard drive is speaking German!

Samsumac
Jun 23, 2011, 05:31 PM
Archive install SL and download the combo updater.

Thanks, I did a lion update which works fine ..... They dropped the ball in this...

macsmurf
Jun 23, 2011, 05:31 PM
If Microsoft sold hard drives, and Microsoft added code to their OS to only support standard (but optional) SATA commands on hard drives sold by Microsoft - the DOJ and the press would be on them immediately.

Apple, however, with its tiny market share, can do whatever it wants - at least until Apple's customers get fed up.

Yep. And we won't.

I do find it quite a bit ironic that I have to binary patch OS X on my Apple Macbook whereas my Hackintosh has been running vanilla for the longest time.

PatrickCocoa
Jun 23, 2011, 05:36 PM
Ive used it. Snow Leopard is much much better in terms of speed (ram peformance). Also mission control sucks.. regular expose make use of the whole screen. The UI.. dont get me started!

I've used Lion as well and haven't seen any slowdowns. Could you clarify what "ram performance" is? If you have any Lion/Snow Leopard benchmarks or timings I'd be happy to see them.

Your other comments are not speed related. Lion's UI is somewhat different, if you don't like it stay with Snow Leopard or switch to Windows or Linux.

I don't understand what "regular expose make use of the whole screen" means. I'm planning on moving to Lion but if there's some problem out there I'd like to hear about it.

pimentoLoaf
Jun 23, 2011, 05:36 PM
Times Reader (NYTimes) doesn't work: it just sits there not loading anything. :(

UPDATE: Adobe Air just updated, so TR is working fine again.

Eric5h5
Jun 23, 2011, 05:39 PM
Which makes it somehow not a major release? :confused:

It makes it a switch to a different operating system, which goes beyond "major release".

--Eric

Dainin
Jun 23, 2011, 05:42 PM
Is that for Apple branded SSD drives or for 3rd party ones like Intel or OCZ Vertex?

Nope, Apple only

Lochias
Jun 23, 2011, 05:44 PM
After the 10.6.8 update, Time Machine has stopped working. The backup drive is suddenly seen as Read Only.

ysr
Jun 23, 2011, 05:48 PM
So long Snow Leopard

ENduro
Jun 23, 2011, 05:52 PM

Holly cow I'm getting a kernel panic on startup right after the update... :( will have to troubleshoot after the class -_-

Me too. 3 times in a row. Booted up in Safe Mode right now. No 1Password either but that may be because of Safe Mode.

MB Unibody 2.26, 8 GB Ram...

jsoto
Jun 23, 2011, 05:54 PM
I haven't tried it but hopefully this will address couple issues

1)vpn issue. Last upgrade broke vpn. (once you are on vpn, no other internet works except vpn'd stuff. (it used to work before last upgrade).

2)external monitor flickering issue. Whatever happen to this? My external monitor STILL flickers.. wth is going on apple?

Hopefully when I get home, I will try this out(unless someone already tested these).

VPN Issue fixed! Everything seems to work fine with no issues that I can notice.

Kar98
Jun 23, 2011, 05:57 PM
This will be the last version of OSX period for some.

Yup. I don't need an app store, I don't need a iPhone-ified computer, and since my mini has a Core Duo CPU and is limited to 2GB of RAM, it's a moot point anyway.

Kar98
Jun 23, 2011, 05:58 PM
I can see a lot of first generation Mac Mini's not going Lion

First (PPC G4) and second (Intel Core) gen.

gb1631
Jun 23, 2011, 06:07 PM
Installed it on my iMac and MBA, both working fine. Firefox 5; however had a couple of problems and quit on me while watching an Infinity TV program on my MBA, after the OS upgrade. Related? I don't know!

htpw16
Jun 23, 2011, 06:09 PM
Nope, Apple only

Is this something that will be addressed later, or does Apple only want to support TRIM for their stock SSDs?

Michaelgtrusa
Jun 23, 2011, 06:09 PM
This will be the last one.

Vertigo50
Jun 23, 2011, 06:14 PM

Not mentioned in the release notes, but this got Final Cut X running for me. Downloaded it yesterday and it kept crashing trying to launch. This fixed it. I'm happy.

PCClone
Jun 23, 2011, 06:18 PM
Yup. I don't need an app store, I don't need a iPhone-ified computer, and since my mini has a Core Duo CPU and is limited to 2GB of RAM, it's a moot point anyway.

So Lion won't run on my Core 2 Duo iMac???

Skorpion24
Jun 23, 2011, 06:24 PM
I've downloaded and installed the combo version and now looks everything's back working...

WilliamG
Jun 23, 2011, 06:24 PM
Would someone with a late 2009+ iMac and a MacBook Pro/Air etc tell me if they're able to connect their laptops to their iMac and change the brightness on the iMac? I've lost that ability with 10.6.8...

KnightWRX
Jun 23, 2011, 06:26 PM
I would say all 4 of them are major releases, but 2000 -> XP isn't really an upgrade path, they're two parallel products. One for home, and one for enterprise

Both are of the NT family of operating systems. XP was as much an enterprise ready OS as 2000 was.

there are plenty of other development trees you can look at

There is no logic to software versioning. It is highly dependant on the group doing the actual releasing. Look at Linux, it's been at "version 2.0" for years. Heck, just the 2.6 releases have seen many complete architecture changes. And if you take a peek at Linux 3.0, it's the same thing as 2.6.39, it's just the version number that's changed.

Let it go, you are just wrong. Apple doesn't label OS X versions according to your rules, they follow their own rules. And their own rules are 10.Major.Minor

doug in albq
Jun 23, 2011, 06:27 PM
going from 10.6.6 to 10.6.7 on my 2010 i5 15 inch MBP made HD and even some 480 px video from Netflix, Hulu and Youtube choppy on my attached external display. This was not a flash issue and going back to 10.6.6 fixed the issue.

I wonder if 10.6.8 fixed this issue....most likely not.

Not sure if I will ever update this machine past 10.6.6 now....

EDIT: 10.6.8 is clean and tight. works great on my MBP and the older mini. Hulu and Netflix and Youtube work perfect with no issues!! i think 10.6.7 was the dud, I am glad Apple produced a very tight final update for Snow Leopard

tinman0
Jun 23, 2011, 06:33 PM
Could not have said it better myself.

I could. Looking forward to Lion in July, although I'll probably install in September.

Mrguidogenio
Jun 23, 2011, 06:35 PM

YES. Lion will run on Core 2 Duo and above. The Core Duo is obviously inferior than the Core 2 Duo, so it's not supported.

Discoverer
Jun 23, 2011, 06:37 PM
Say what you want but Tiger is still the best release. It was stable and had great features.

gabo77
Jun 23, 2011, 06:40 PM

Im on core 2 duo MacBook... Have you been able to troubleshoot successfully?

roadbloc
Jun 23, 2011, 06:41 PM
It's getting old for me. I've been running Lion DP as my main OS for the longest time. :D

Surprised you're not using OS 10.8 already.

d21mike

Not mentioned in the release notes, but this got Final Cut X running for me. Downloaded it yesterday and it kept crashing trying to launch. This fixed it. I'm happy.
There was an Apple Support Doc on MacRumors the other day that said 10.6.8 was strongly recommend for Final Cut X.

marrzie
Everything is working fine after the update except Pokerstars. Pokerstars wouldnt start gave me an update error so I uninstalled and redownloaded newest version not it installs but I cannot find the icon to start the program. Spotlight search shows an empty pokerstars folder. Sweet update. Too bad I didnt have time machine switched on.

Porco
Jun 23, 2011, 06:42 PM
Looks like this will be one of if not the last security update for Leopard.

Yeah... I see people saying 'so long Snow Leopard...' / 'it's the end of Snow Leopard...', but Apple typically carries on releasing security updates for the previous major version of OS X (I think there was maybe one security update for Jaguar that was an exception to this trend if I recall correctly?).

So yes, this does mark a transition to Lion, but I think in terms of eras ending it's Leopard that is truly passing now, and with it the PPC mac as confidently-internet connected system. Soon it won't be a great idea to use a PPC mac online for general tasks. Pretty sad really.

I know Apple can't support old OS versions for ever, but I would really like it if they did release security updates for longer - this goes for iOS devices too, I don't really like using Safari on my second gen iPod Touch anymore, only really using its internet connectivity for podcasts. I don't expect new OS features on old hardware, but I think Apple should make it possible to use their products online safely for much longer.

d21mike
Jun 23, 2011, 06:45 PM
There was an Apple Support Doc on MacRumors the other day that said 10.6.8 was strongly recommend for Final Cut X.
This was the Thread. But the Support Doc was taken down as discuss here.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/mac-os-x-10-6-8-release-imminent/

bconeill
Anyone else having printing issues since this update? Each print in the queue pauses and gives me the "!" in front of the printer.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

ovrlrd
Goodbye Snow Leopard! It has been a great time using you, but your younger brother Lion is going to be here soon and this is the last time I will ever update you.

peapody
Jun 23, 2011, 06:47 PM
Well I updated my macbook pro 2.4ghz 8600m GT...

When it was on 10.6.7 it was flawless. I just started doing the software updates for it today..

And then downloaded the latest release and my screen got strange dark ripples on the bottom half. I know my mbp has the faulty chip. After going back to 10.6.7, screen looks perfect again. Hard to say if this is the chip problem or a problem with the update. Who knows. Will be testing and following closely for a while.

DCJ001
Jun 23, 2011, 06:47 PM

Yes, it will.

There's a difference between Core Duo CPU and Core 2 Duo.

*LTD*
Jun 23, 2011, 06:54 PM

When it was on 10.6.7 it was flawless. I just started doing the software updates for it today..

And then downloaded the latest release and my screen got strange dark ripples on the bottom half. I know my mbp has the faulty chip. After going back to 10.6.7, screen looks perfect again. Hard to say if this is the chip problem or a problem with the update. Who knows. Will be testing and following closely for a while.

From a top, diagonal view, my MBP looks the same with a dark grey background from time to time. Certain angles.

You're looking at it wrong.

P51Mustangrulz
Jun 23, 2011, 06:55 PM
Is anyone having problems with this update?
I updated to 10.6.8 today and now whenever I try to turn my 13' Mid-2010 MBP back on, it gets stuck at the log in screen. Both the trackpad and the keyboard will not function.

Any ideas?

Samsumac
Jun 23, 2011, 06:56 PM
Hands Off! software causes a kernel panic when 10.6.8 is installed.
There is a fix out, so update this before updating to the dog's dinner that is 10.6.8.

peapody
Jun 23, 2011, 06:58 PM
From a top, diagonal view, my MBP looks the same with a dark grey background from time to time. Certain angles.

You're looking at it wrong.

This is what I am looking at STRAIGHT ON, sitting at a desk.

Also does not go away when changing the angle of the screen. All angles. Looks bad. Since going back to 10.6.7, screen looks perfect, with NO sign of this craziness.

JohnDoe98
Jun 23, 2011, 06:58 PM

There is certainly something odd going on with our 8600m chips. I have a MBP 2.2ghz with the 8600, and in 10.6.7 I had a similar problem as you had on 10.6.8, however nothing nearly as pronounced. I chalked it up to the screen getting old but in 10.6.8 the problem has been greatly improved. I see 3-4 very faint vertical inconsistencies in the screen, but they are almost imperceptible. Before seeing your post I didn't even notice some sections were a touch lighter. In 10.6.7 the issue was very perceptible though on my machine. My initial 8600 did die and Apple replaced my logic board, so perhaps the newer batch doesn't have the problem as pronounced as the old one. Did your 8600 ever die? You should definitely submit a bug report to Apple.

Sodner
Jun 23, 2011, 07:03 PM
Installed on a 10,1 and a 12,1 iMac as well as a 3,2 MacBookAir and no problems noticed so far.

peapody
Jun 23, 2011, 07:04 PM
There is certainly something odd going on with our 8600m chips. I have a MBP 2.2ghz with the 8600, and in 10.6.7 I had a similar problem as you had on 10.6.8, however nothing nearly as pronounced. I chalked it up to the screen getting old but in 10.6.8 the problem has been greatly improved. I see 3-4 very faint vertical inconsistencies in the screen, but they are almost imperceptible. Before seeing your post I didn't even notice some sections were a touch lighter. In 10.6.7 the issue was very perceptible though on my machine. My initial 8600 did die and Apple replaced my logic board, so perhaps the newer batch doesn't have the problem as pronounced as the old one. Did your 8600 ever die? You should definitely submit a bug report to Apple.

Sorry, let me correct myself - since going back to 10.6 no problems at all. I really don't know what is going on. I was repairing the macbook pro and so at 10.6 which is where the update I was at, there were no perceptible issues. This morning I updated to 10.6.7, no perceptible issues. 10.6.8, holey moley, it was like I was looking at a stage with spotlights on it. I can't say whether or not 10.6.7 was good or not.

I would say if you have a classic pre unibody mbp - STAY AWAY from this update.

MasterHowl
Jun 23, 2011, 07:07 PM
Downloaded, installed... everything seems to be working fine so far... fingers crossed!

Not sure if it's just me, but my MBP seems a little slower... might be because it's late or something. Been a long day!

jeb2u
Jun 23, 2011, 07:14 PM
10.6.8 has totally screwed up my early-2009 iMac. First time I logged in after the update I got all sorts of popups about krb5kdc and mDNSResponder asking me for approval. Then my home wifi network password (saved to keychain) was gone. And the OS clock was reset. I did a fresh restart and I'm getting the same problems.

Anyone else getting the same problems? Any ideas for solutions?

MythicFrost
Jun 23, 2011, 07:17 PM
What's the chance Apple will release Lion July 1st? I'm hoping.

gabo77
Jun 23, 2011, 07:18 PM

Looks like they dumped windows in my Mac! ****in awsome...

MrHeisenberg
Jun 23, 2011, 07:26 PM
I installed the update and MacOS could not start anymore, too!!

I figured out that it must be HandsOff that has to be upgraded before.
So first install HandsOff Patch, then install MacOS Update.

If you already installed MacOS Update, insert your MacOS installation DVD and reinstall MacOS again.

Good luck!!!!!

bened
Jun 23, 2011, 07:32 PM
Mac Book Air 2.1, original SSD, SL 10.6.8 = no Trim

JohnDoe98
Jun 23, 2011, 07:33 PM

Don't hope too much, the chances are 1/31. Not good odds.

res1233
Jun 23, 2011, 07:44 PM
Personally, this update seems to be working fine on my aluminum macbook, but then again I've never had trouble installing updates. Perhaps it's my positive aura. ;) Or I'm just good at taking care of my Mac.

P51Mustangrulz
Jun 23, 2011, 07:46 PM
I've never had any trouble before either. My MBP was running 10.6.7 when I made the update.

I don't have Hands Off installed on my MBP - but do have Sophos installed. Since that's also a firewall...I'm going to uninstall that in safe mode and see if that fixes my problem.

Capex
Jun 23, 2011, 07:48 PM
Okay!

I read somewhere (I forget) that Mac App Store downloads were throttled... Was this true? And does this update fix/change that?

Also, will you be able to use iTunes cards to buy this update? I don't have a credit card so I normally use my parents for things that require one.
I live in Canada and iTunes doesn't let me use iTunes cards on the App Store. Just wondering, cause I will be away this summer so it could save me a phone call to get my parents credit card info just to download Lion.

Thanks, please reply!

emaja
Jun 23, 2011, 07:52 PM

Considering that almost every 10.x release being changes in compatibility, I'd say that makes it a major release.

star-affinity
Jun 23, 2011, 07:52 PM

How is the external screen connected? If you're using an adapter it could be that causing flicker. We've had some issues at work with non-Apple adapters.

P51Mustangrulz
Jun 23, 2011, 07:58 PM
And uninstalling Sophos in safe mode...didn't resolve my problem! (great :rolleyes:).

Tylorch
Jun 23, 2011, 07:59 PM
10.6.8 has totally screwed up my early-2009 iMac. First time I logged in after the update I got all sorts of popups about krb5kdc and mDNSResponder asking me for approval. Then my home wifi network password (saved to keychain) was gone. And the OS clock was reset. I did a fresh restart and I'm getting the same problems.

Anyone else getting the same problems? Any ideas for solutions?

I was having the same problems (through six reboots). After reading a bunch of posts on this forum and others I downloaded the 10.6.8 update (475 MB) from Apple directly (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1400) and re-applied it. I've rebooted twice now and I am no longer seeing any errors. No more process errors, time is properly kept over reboots (well... 2 so far), and suddenly it remembers all my wi-fi networks and passwords again. :)

Maybe something glitched during my "Software Update" install (275 MB) of 10.6.8.

mcrazza
Jun 23, 2011, 08:03 PM
One thing 10.6.8 failed to resolve from 10.6.7 (and possibly 10.6.6) is the incorrect battery life percentage indication in the bluetooth dropdown on the menu. It would constantly be at 100% for any bluetooth devices (Magic Mouse, wireless keyboard, Magic Trackpad) even when other programs e.g. iStat Pro would give you the correct indication. Fail.

nate13
Jun 23, 2011, 08:09 PM

You and me both. I can't wait- DP4 is still quirky, no scroll speed options, broken Safari. But for all those who are discrediting the experience because of the "iPhoney" features- use it before you curb your excitement. (I know the implications of saying that- but use your imagination; the features most "hated on" are the ones that aren't that prominent). The navigation in safari and full screen on a laptop is night and day- totally makes up for the lack of visual candy in Snow Leopard.

boneske
Jun 23, 2011, 08:13 PM

Windows 95, 98 and ME are just marketing names much like Mac OS X Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion. If you actually look at the Windows 9x version numbers by your logic Windows 98 and ME were just point releases to Windows 95. Windows 95 was version 4.00, Windows 98 was version 4.10.1998, and Windows ME was version 4.90.3000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_95
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_98
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Me

Kar98
Jun 23, 2011, 08:13 PM
All fine here.

steveh
Jun 23, 2011, 08:17 PM
[QUOTE=EGOvoruhk;1281699

[/QUOTE]

Common practice (which is what you're describing) is not the same thing as being cast in stone.

Apple clearly has chosen to label their major releases as M.n releases; what other vendors call a point release, Apple labels as M.N.o.

The reason behind this scheme is marketing; the product "OS X" may near the end of its life show up as "OS X 10.12.3". Something from Apple named "OS XI" is going to be a clean sheet rewrite, sort of like Microsoft going from Windows 98 to Windows NT/2K/XP/Vista/7...

steveh
Jun 23, 2011, 08:21 PM

They've clearly invested in "OS X" as a product name. They're not going to screw with that, and if anything have chosen to mark major releases of the product with their big cat naming convention.

Sort of like MS giving different names for their major NT-based OS releases.

NT(n)/2000/XP/Vista/7/... makes *ever* so much more sense, right?

coolfactor
Jun 23, 2011, 08:23 PM
I can't download it, since there's not enough free space on my hard drive. Bummer. 120GB drives are too small these days. :-)

*thinks back to his 20MB Mac SE*

steveh
Jun 23, 2011, 08:23 PM
Since the Mac App Store is not included until 10.6.6...

and you need the Mac App Store to download 10.7...

you do the math.

Still, you only need one SL machine to download Lion. Make a bootable flash device from that first download, and you're good for the rest of your (capable) Macs, even if they don't have SL installed.

Stridder44
Jun 23, 2011, 08:33 PM
This is my first time that I'm installing an update for Snow Leopard 10.6 so I'm a little excited lol.

http://i.imgur.com/5FRUm.jpg

AidenShaw
Jun 23, 2011, 08:34 PM
NT(n)/2000/XP/Vista/7/... makes *ever* so much more sense, right?

But its not "NT(n)/2000/XP/Vista/7/",
it's
Microsoft Windows NT™
Microsoft Windows 2000™
Microsoft Windows XP™
Microsoft Windows Vista™
Microsoft Windows 7™

Makes sense to me, or at least as much sense as

Apple OSX Cheetah™
Apple OSX Puma™
Apple OSX Jaguar™
Apple OSX Panther™
Apple OSX Tiger™
Apple OSX Leopard™
Apple OSX Snow Leopard™
Apple OSX Lion™

As if the name really matters! And ignore the idiots who claim that Win7 is Windows NT 6.1 - they're clueless from the get-go.

iJawn108
Jun 23, 2011, 08:38 PM
I doubt I wil be updating my orginal 2006 blackbook coreduo ever again. We have had our ups and downs over the years but all in all she's been great to me. started out with tiger ends with snowleopard.

I switched from pc(xp) to mac in 2006, then mac to pc(opensolaris) 2009, back to pc(windows 7) 2010 and finally back to mac 2011.

:apple:

HyperX13
Jun 23, 2011, 08:41 PM
Update rocks!!my xbench marks doubled!!! Even my iPad is faster, just because it was near my Mac as I was downloading it!!

And this post typed itself

zen.state
Jun 23, 2011, 08:52 PM
Update rocks!!my xbench marks doubled!!! Even my iPad is faster, just because it was near my Mac as I was downloading it!!

I know right? Mine added a hologram of Steve Jobs standing on my keyboard saying thanks for updating.

steveh
Jun 23, 2011, 08:54 PM
I've used Lion as well and haven't seen any slowdowns. Could you clarify what "ram performance" is? If you have any Lion/Snow Leopard benchmarks or timings I'd be happy to see them.

Your other comments are not speed related. Lion's UI is somewhat different, if you don't like it stay with Snow Leopard or switch to Windows or Linux.

I don't understand what "regular expose make use of the whole screen" means. I'm planning on moving to Lion but if there's some problem out there I'd like to hear about it.

One shouldn't forget that a lot of the new Lion UI stuff can be turned off if you don't like it.

justinfreid
Jun 23, 2011, 08:58 PM
Okay!

I read somewhere (I forget) that Mac App Store downloads were throttled... Was this true? And does this update fix/change that?

Also, will you be able to use iTunes cards to buy this update? I don't have a credit card so I normally use my parents for things that require one.
I live in Canada and iTunes doesn't let me use iTunes cards on the App Store. Just wondering, cause I will be away this summer so it could save me a phone call to get my parents credit card info just to download Lion.

Thanks, please reply!

Apple's content distribution system might limit download rates, but I think they have pretty fat pipes and want you to get your downloads as soon as possible.

I think you're talking about 10.7 for your second question, and yes, you'll be able to use an iTunes card to buy it just as you would anything else from the App Store. Some places provide a slight discount on $50 and $100 cards.

boneske
Jun 23, 2011, 08:59 PM

That's only the kernel versioning. It was done for nothing more than software compatibility reasons. But if you want to think that, sure

As said before, I didn't bring Microsoft into the argument, and there are plenty of other development trees you can look at

You may not of brought Microsoft Windows into the conversation, but it is a perfect example to understand the difference between marketing names and product versioning numbers. It is actually a very easy concept that you seem to fail to grasp, so here is a list of the Windows NT family that list both its versioning numbers and marketing names:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT#Releases

We can play the numbers game all day long, but in the end it's up to the developers(or a company in this case) to decide what is consider a "major release" and what is a "point release."

Blondie :)
Jun 23, 2011, 08:59 PM

My geekbench marks increased by 400 or so

moderately
Jun 23, 2011, 09:05 PM
Personally, I find posts complaining about other people's posts or post "types" to be lamer than the posts the complainer is complaining about. Such posts tend not to solve the original irritant and instead spawn a meta-discussion about the futility of posting to stop people posting. Then that spawns a discussion about the futility of posting to stop people posting to stop posting. And so on. Metas all the way down. Cheers. :)

I like that someone dislikes this post.

Tonewheel
Jun 23, 2011, 09:06 PM

I had this problem some time ago. I fixed it with the following procedure. It never occurred again....

Press Control - Shift - Eject.
After the display goes to sleep, wake it by pressing any key on the keyboard.

lifeguard90
Jun 23, 2011, 09:11 PM
I am frustrated with 10.6.8 while running x-plane 9.70 the sim loaded and ran perfectly on 10.6.7 and as soon as 10.6.8 was ready to go, I get an error code saying problem opening/loading OpenGL and the sim 9/10 times crashes or 1/10 runs but very slow and then crashes.

any way to go back to 10.6.7? I have a timemachine backup, yet only of current 10.6.8 due to disk being full. how can i go back to 10.6.7 and then transfer what i want OR transfer everything yet enable 10.6.7?

thanks

* i called apple but PST is annoying so have to wait until tomorrow, also emailed xplane tech support

AidenShaw
Apple's content distribution system...

Apple has no CDN (Content Distribution Network) - they pay Akamai for the service.

Smart move, IMO. Who knows what would happen if the MobileMe bozos were given the task of building a network to distribute bandwidth load.

Avalontor
You may not of brought Microsoft Windows into the conversation, but it is a perfect example to understand the difference between marketing names and product versioning numbers. It is actually a very easy concept that you seem to fail to grasp, so here is a list of the Windows NT family that list both its versioning numbers and marketing names:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT#Releases

We can play the numbers game all day long, but in the end it's up to the developers(or a company in this case) to decide what is consider a "major release" and what is a "point release."

Since you quoted wikipedia, Apple seems to disagree with you..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

Apple
Apple has a formalised version number structure based around the NumVersion struct, which specifies a one- or two-digit major version, a one-digit minor version, a one-digit "bug" (i.e. revision) version, a stage indicator (drawn from the set development/prealpha, alpha, beta and final/release), and a one-byte (i.e. having values in the range 0–255) pre-release version, which is only used at stages prior to final. In writing these version numbers as strings, the convention is to omit any parts after the minor version whose value are zero (with "final" being considered the zero stage), thus writing 1.0.2b12, 1.0.2 (rather than 1.0.2f0), and 1.1 (rather than 1.1.0f0)

steveh
Jun 23, 2011, 09:16 PM
But its not "NT(n)/2000/XP/Vista/7/",
it's
Microsoft Windows NT™
Microsoft Windows 2000™
Microsoft Windows XP™
Microsoft Windows Vista™
Microsoft Windows 7™

Makes sense to me, or at least as much sense as

Or as little.

At least the Mac OS X named releases have been clearly associated with a progressing series of 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, etc.

Apple OSX Cheetah™
Apple OSX Puma™
Apple OSX Jaguar™
Apple OSX Panther™
Apple OSX Tiger™
Apple OSX Leopard™
Apple OSX Snow Leopard™
Apple OSX Lion™

As if the name really matters! And ignore the idiots who claim that Win7 is Windows NT 6.1 - they're clueless from the get-go.

Let's not talk for now about Linux history of numerology...

ABG
Jun 23, 2011, 09:17 PM
After the 10.6.8 update, Time Machine has stopped working. The backup drive is suddenly seen as Read Only.

Same here.

dblissmn
Jun 23, 2011, 09:18 PM
Improvements for me. 10.6.8 seems to work fine on my 2008 MBP (logic board already replaced for Nvidia chip of death by the way), and on my 2011. On the Early 2008, it was a 275MB download and uneventful. On the 2011, it was a 475MB download, and it restores clamshell mode and deep sleep with my external monitor through a DVI adapter although the switching on after sleep is still a bit glitchy.

I noticed an earlier posting commenting on inaccurate reporting of percentage, battery power from Bluetooth devices. A few weeks ago I had noticed that while the OS was still on 100 percent, iStat was reporting the 80s, then the 70s, then the 60s. Now I'm noticing that the OS is currently giving a battery power report in the high 70s, while iStat reports it in the high 40s. Interesting. I wonder what the difference is.

KnightWRX
Jun 23, 2011, 09:20 PM
Apple OSX Cheetah™

That never officially existed. Mac OS 10.0 was never officially referred to as Cheetah in marketing documents.

AidenShaw
Jun 23, 2011, 09:21 PM

Just go back to the most recent "system restore point", and wait for the bozos at Apple to fix their cock-up.

hinchesk
Jun 23, 2011, 09:23 PM
Okay guys, if you wanna make stupid jokes, then fine, but don't mischaracterize what I said. I CLEARLY posed it as a REQUEST, not a command. And I was very polite about it. If you don't want to be not annoying, then you're free to be a douche if you so please.

I find no matter how polite I'm being, people don't like me telling them what to do... even if I phrase it in the form of a request.

AidenShaw
Jun 23, 2011, 09:26 PM
That never officially existed. Mac OS 10.0 was never officially referred to as Cheetah in marketing documents.

You may be right. Even Apple was too embarrased by 10.0 to use the codeword in public.

zen.state
Jun 23, 2011, 09:29 PM
Same here.

My Time Machine is working perfectly and doing so over the network on a drive connected to my G4. The update has created a total of 1.36GB of extra data on the HD total after install for TM to backup.

AidenShaw
Jun 23, 2011, 09:30 PM
Let's not talk for now about Linux history of numerology...

Which "Linux" - there are quite a few, and none of them use the same naming conventions....

AidenShaw
Jun 23, 2011, 09:31 PM
My Time Machine is working perfectly and doing so over the network on a drive connected to my G4.

Does that mean that 10.6.8 works on PPC Apples, but not Intel Apples?

zen.state
Jun 23, 2011, 09:33 PM

HUH? 10.6 doesn't even run on PowerPC. re read my post. It says over the network on a drive connected to my G4. The drive backs up the Intel MacBook.

You posted before I edited to make it more clear.

Eidorian
Jun 23, 2011, 09:34 PM
Does that mean that 10.6.8 works on PPC Apples, but not Intel Apples?The network storage for Time Machine is more than likely running on a G4 based machine but it is not Snow Leopard itself on that remote machine.

boneske
Jun 23, 2011, 09:35 PM
Since you quoted wikipedia, Apple seems to disagree with you..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

Apple
Apple has a formalised version number structure based around the NumVersion struct, which specifies a one- or two-digit major version, a one-digit minor version, a one-digit "bug" (i.e. revision) version, a stage indicator (drawn from the set development/prealpha, alpha, beta and final/release), and a one-byte (i.e. having values in the range 0–255) pre-release version, which is only used at stages prior to final. In writing these version numbers as strings, the convention is to omit any parts after the minor version whose value are zero (with "final" being considered the zero stage), thus writing 1.0.2b12, 1.0.2 (rather than 1.0.2f0), and 1.1 (rather than 1.1.0f0)

LOL, not really since I said and I quote "We can play the numbers game all day long, but in the end it's up to the developers(or a company in this case) to decide what is consider a "major release" and what is a "point release.""

Apple has a very different product versioning number and marketing name scheme than Microsoft, but it is still very easy to comprehend. With Apple 10.x is a major release and gets a marketing name while 10.x.x is a point release and doesn't get a marketing name. With Microsoft, Windows NT 5.0 and 6.1(or XP and 7 in marketing names) are major releases and get marketing names, while service packs are point releases and don't get marketing names. See not that hard to comprehend.

laalves
Jun 23, 2011, 09:39 PM
Anyone else having printing issues since this update? Each print in the queue pauses and gives me the "!" in front of the printer.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Another one here.

In two different Macs, I lost the capability to print to my Konica Minolta c353 printer. The Macs are: mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15" and a mid-2010 Mac mini Server. "Printer paused" is what happens. The logs say:

Backend returned status -8 (crashed)
Printer stopped due to backend errors

Interestingly, in the Macbook Pro I have a Windows 7 running on top of Parallels and the printer works just fine from any Windows program.

Hope Apple is reading this, as well as the Feedback I also sent them.

I have already seen 3 cases of this over the web:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3137602?tstart=0

KnightWRX
Jun 23, 2011, 09:40 PM
Which "Linux" - there are quite a few, and none of them use the same naming conventions....

There's only 1 Linux. Unless you mean those things called Distributions...

Anyway, the kernel versioning itself is all over the place. 2.6 is an especially nasty tree of major/minor releases all mixed up together.

cmaier
Jun 23, 2011, 09:43 PM
Just go back to the most recent "system restore point", and wait for the bozos at Apple to fix their cock-up.

:-)

My Time Machine is working perfectly and doing so over the network on a drive connected to my G4. The update has created a total of 1.36GB of extra data on the HD total after install for TM to backup.

Working fine on my three MBP's, all of which use the same Readynas as a time machine drive.

See above :-)

jonnysods
Jun 23, 2011, 09:45 PM
I'm getting a mixed bag of reactions from this update.

I think I may skip this one!

daneoni
Jun 23, 2011, 09:56 PM
Did the update...boring. Nothing to report...which is good. :)

Gonna take this restart opportuniy to do a final spring clean/maintenance of my mac.

zen.state
Jun 23, 2011, 09:58 PM
The network storage for Time Machine is more than likely running on a G4 based machine but it is not Snow Leopard itself on that remote machine.

Exactly. The G4 is running 10.5.8. It has 3.5 TB storage in it so what better place to backup my MacBook and the G4.

winston1236
Jun 23, 2011, 10:00 PM
Just installed it, no problem...as usual :)

A side note worth mentioning as I see others are having problems with Time Machine, I have the Time Capsule and Time Machine is working fine. Its backing up the download now.