PDA

View Full Version : Beats By Dr. Dre Solo HD

MrRoyksopp
Jun 23, 2011, 04:00 PM
Hello Guys.
- I have been thinking about getting a pair of Beats by Dre Solo HD headphones.

Does anyone out there own a pair of these?
Is it worth the money?

Can someone just tell me their experience with these headphones?

- Thank you very much!
MrRoyksopp.

NavySEAL6
Jun 23, 2011, 05:05 PM
I've had them for about a year and I love them. They're slightly overpriced, but sound and look great. Fairly durable, although I treat them nicely, carry case is nice. Listen in the store before you buy. Also, the in-line controls work for iPod, iPhone, iPad, and my MacBook Pro which is a nice extra

MrRoyksopp
Jun 23, 2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks!
Peoples say that the headphones gets broken too easily, but as you said, if you just tale good care of them nothing happens!
- I listened to Them in the store, and they sound amazing!

But thanks for the advice!

Iceage
Jun 23, 2011, 05:15 PM
I bought two pairs a couple of weeks ago, one for myself and one for my son. We love them. The sound is excellent compare to the Apple in-ear ones. If you listen to high quality radio channels like 1.fm and 181.fm, the sound is awesome. A bit pricey but well worth it. We take good care of our stuff, so we expect them to last a long time.

youngplaya0228
Jun 24, 2011, 09:23 AM
Also own them and love them.

Regarding how easy they break: supposedly (not 100%) those were the original Solos that were easy to break. The Solo HD are a lot sturdier: something to do with a metal band in the top now.

3goldens
Jun 24, 2011, 09:35 AM
I tried them and returned them, thought they were pretty bad, but everyone is going to have different sound preferences. I went back to using my Etymotics, which to me are hands down the best headsets made.

Every professional musician I know uses Etymotic as their in ear monitors on stage, because the sound reproduction is so good.

Donka
Jun 24, 2011, 09:46 AM
I tried them out but wasn't too keen for the price. I picked up a pair of AKG k450 for less than a third of the price and I preferred the audio from them. The Beats are not bad headphones at all but let's just say very well marketed!

mcdj
Jun 24, 2011, 12:13 PM
not sayin the beats aren't ok headphones, but I always encourage people to compare any headphones they're considering buying to a really high end pair of headphones they would never think of buying. the difference can be shocking. this doesn't mean you should then buy the more expensive pair, but it does mean you could do some more research and find a pair that more closely approaches the sound quality of the expensive headphones without approaching the price tag.

beats by dre are fun, but cartoonish mass consumer grade headphones. if you want realistic sound reproduction, they may not be for you, not to mention you are paying an unneccessary premium to have Dr. Dre's name on the box.

Adobo
Jun 24, 2011, 08:17 PM
I had the 1st edition Solos and really loved them. They eventually broke at the top of the band in about a year and a half. I thought they sounded great. Was about to buy another pair when I saw these Danish phones called TMA-1s that a coworker had. To me, they sound very similar with not as much bass, but very durable. They can be twisted and stretched. They are also the same in price. I'd still buy another pair of Beats but might opt for the Studios if I did.

Koodauw
Jun 24, 2011, 08:21 PM
You can get refurbished Beats from the Monster outlet site for $99 for the solos, and $129/149 for the studios. People say the beats are decent, but not worth the money. What do you guys think of the solos / Studios at that price? Downside is only a 90 day warranty.

Ronnoco
Jun 25, 2011, 12:38 PM
Don't like the coloured sound of The Beats...My B&W P5's just may be the best portable headphones on the market today...truly amazing...a bit pricy at $300 but truly worth every penny...jawdropping sound...:)

yourtoys7
Jun 25, 2011, 01:02 PM
not sayin the beats aren't ok headphones, but I always encourage people to compare any headphones they're considering buying to a really high end pair of headphones they would never think of buying. the difference can be shocking. this doesn't mean you should then buy the more expensive pair, but it does mean you could do some more research and find a pair that more closely approaches the sound quality of the expensive headphones without approaching the price tag.

beats by dre are fun, but cartoonish mass consumer grade headphones. if you want realistic sound reproduction, they may not be for you, not to mention you are paying an unneccessary premium to have Dr. Dre's name on the box.

+1, I use Westone2 and love it. My brother in law would never consider anything but 100. or so headphones. I let him try my pair, next thing I know he got Shure and spend almost $500.
Beats are good but for the $ you can have soo much more. Look at www.head-fi.org

ethics101
Jun 25, 2011, 04:29 PM
When it comes to Beats its Studios or bust

guinness8878
Jun 27, 2011, 12:11 AM
If anyone is interested, Best Buy has the studios on sale for 269.99 and the pros were 349.99 in store if I remember right. I bought a pair but I'm returning them, very good headphones just not right for me.

bobright
Jun 27, 2011, 01:18 AM
When it comes to Beats its Studios or bust

Yup the HDs are almost too tight fitting also not comfortable. They go on the ear and after a while your ear will turn red and feel uncomfortable, the Studios go over the ear and are extremely comfortable.

okrelayer
Jun 27, 2011, 10:45 AM
I think the headphones are more intended for one type of music ( than a variety. I also personally don't like the aesthetics of the headphones. For a pair of iProduct consumer headphones the bowers & Wilkins p5's are the best. Incredible sound, timeless quality

MBP3131
Jun 28, 2011, 11:29 AM
Getting some tomorow :D SOOOOO excited. I will definitly reply once I try them out.

Givmeabrek
Jun 28, 2011, 01:36 PM
I think the headphones are more intended for one type of music ( than a variety. I also personally don't like the aesthetics of the headphones. For a pair of iProduct consumer headphones the bowers & Wilkins p5's are the best. Incredible sound, timeless quality

Just got my P5's. Wow! Super quality with sound I didn't know existed! Lovin 'em :p

MrRoyksopp
Jun 28, 2011, 01:59 PM
Getting some tomorow :D SOOOOO excited. I will definitly reply once I try them out.

Great! Let me hear from you :)

jsh1120
Jun 28, 2011, 07:33 PM
I don't mean to criticize anyone's taste in music but the Dr. Dre's are (as others have noted) a relatively cheaply built and cheap to manufacture headphones tuned to provide the sort of ribcage rattling bass that is very popular these days in popular music. It's not difficult to make cheap headphones sound very very good if you're going after good sound in a relatively limited range.

If you're looking for headphones that produce outstanding sound for a variety of musical genres, the B&W, Sennheiser, and Shure brands are excellent. Each has models at about the same price point as the Dr. Dre's and are, frankly, far better products.

Personally, I like the Shure 215 in-ear earphones for a relatively inexpensive pair of very good earbuds and I use a pair of $69 folding Sennheiser's when I'm traveling with the iPad. The latter are immensely light and comfortable and compare favorably with headphones costing three times as much. In addition, they can be folded into my shirt pocket.

On the other hand, no one can tell you what sound you like, only which product produces accurate reproduction of a source. If you like the way the Dr. Dre's sound, go for it. Just recognize that you're paying more for marketing than for components.

Ronnoco
Jun 28, 2011, 08:02 PM
Just got my P5's. Wow! Super quality with sound I didn't know existed! Lovin 'em :p

I really didn't think that type of sound reproduction was possible with a pair of non-powered portable headphones...and I've worked in the broadcasting/recording industry for 30 years (I wear headphones for a living)...the P5's are the best sounding amp-free/non-powered portable headphones I've encountered anywhere for any price...

okrelayer
Jun 28, 2011, 08:15 PM
I really didn't think that type of sound reproduction was possible with a pair of non-powered portable headphones...and I've worked in the broadcasting/recording industry for 30 years (I wear headphones for a living)...the P5's are the best sounding amp-free/non-powered portable headphones I've encountered anywhere for any price...

I agree. When I was looking for a pair of headphones for inside of the house, i did not want anything to big, I also did not want to use an amp. While I have not tried every pair of headphones, the build quality, the sound, the comfort, everything is glorious with these.

Ronnoco
Jun 28, 2011, 08:25 PM
I agree. When I was looking for a pair of headphones for inside of the house, i did not want anything to big, I also did not want to use an amp. While I have not tried every pair of headphones, the build quality, the sound, the comfort, everything is glorious with these.

Yes...the "breathable" New Zealand Sheep's leather on the ear-pads is quite comfortable and the fact that they are easily removable/replaceable (magnets) is a brillant feature...this is one case were you really "get what you pay for"...
100% quality...

ihatephish
Jun 29, 2011, 07:48 PM
Good lord people. DO NOT BUY THESE HEADPHONES.

They have TERRIBLE sound reproduction. There are so many better and cheaper options out there.

Mr.C
Jun 29, 2011, 07:58 PM

They have TERRIBLE sound reproduction. There are so many better and cheaper options out there.

And what would you suggest then ?

Every professional media source has given the B&W P5's a rave review not to mention a lot of regular consumers on the net have also given great feedback.

If there are cheaper, better value for money, headphones out there then what are they ?

okrelayer
Jun 29, 2011, 10:00 PM
I would imagine he's talking about the Dr Dre ones

Andrew K.
Jul 2, 2011, 12:52 AM
They do have a slight heavy muddled bass, but if you change the EQ in your iPod settings they will sound AMAZING! I changed mine to rock. Sounds good even with hip-hop.

Mr.C
Jul 2, 2011, 06:03 AM
They do have a slight heavy muddled bass, but if you change the EQ in your iPod settings they will sound AMAZING! I changed mine to rock. Sounds good even with hip-hop.

The problem with changing the equaliser is that you use more battery power as a result. You shouldn't have to do that to get better sound.

okrelayer
Jul 2, 2011, 09:52 AM
Are we talking about the beats? Or p5s? Eithway way, if you have to Change the eq to make it more suitable for your tast.. I think you need a new pair of headphones

sexytabitha
Jul 6, 2011, 07:07 PM
why do we glorify over paid gang bangers and under pay teachers?? im getting my snoop doggy dawg pad next week lol

Xultar
Jul 6, 2011, 07:36 PM
DO NOT BUY.

They break easily and you'll lose the ear cup donut thinggys. I had them and gave them to my brother. They were much hated on my trips.

ihatephish
Jul 17, 2011, 09:22 PM
And what would you suggest then ?

Every professional media source has given the B&W P5's a rave review not to mention a lot of regular consumers on the net have also given great feedback.

If there are cheaper, better value for money, headphones out there then what are they ?

i was talking about the dre beats. they're terrible. i personally went with the klipsch image one.

i really wanted the remote/mic capability and probably sacrificed some sound quality over another brand. but that other brand DEFINITELY wasn't the dre beats, lol.

but, im probably pickier than most when it comes to sound quality, though im not quite an audiophile, by any means.

bursthead
Jul 18, 2011, 03:55 AM

Totally agree, even the Bose headphones sound better than the Beats! Your just paying for the name, that's all..

Mr.C
Jul 18, 2011, 04:29 AM
i was talking about the dre beats. they're terrible. i personally went with the klipsch image one.

i really wanted the remote/mic capability and probably sacrificed some sound quality over another brand. but that other brand DEFINITELY wasn't the dre beats, lol.

but, im probably pickier than most when it comes to sound quality, though im not quite an audiophile, by any means.

No worries. I didn't realise you were talking about the Dre Beats.

bobright
Jul 18, 2011, 05:25 AM
They aren't for audiophiles looking for a perfect sound, but if you're into rap you'll love them there arent many out there that hit like these there reminiscent of your first system in high school the way they kick :D

TyPod
Mar 5, 2013, 11:02 PM
I've had the Beats Solo's (not HD) since 2009 and I've gone through three pair. My last pair has lasted me since 2010. If you want headphones with over powered bass than these are the way to go. If you ask true audiophiles, you will get a lot of hate towards Beats. Compared to other headphones of the same price, they definitely aren't as balanced and lack high quality sound for the price. Just my opinion.

vazquez1085
Mar 6, 2013, 09:15 PM
i bought a pair of executives...love them

halisray
Mar 9, 2013, 10:35 AM
Audio Technica M50

psychonaut
Mar 11, 2013, 12:48 PM
I'll chime in here. In my opinion the best option for around the Solo HD price point is the over the ear V-Moda M100's, these are without a doubt the best headphones I have owned. If that price point is too much you can also check out the On the ear V-Moda M80's or over the ear V-Moda Cross Fade LP2's

I will also mention that the V-Moda headphones are super durable. Cables are kevlar reinforced, head band can bend without breaking and the headphones are designed to sustain a number of drops.

bluebayou
Mar 19, 2013, 07:34 PM
honestly, if you're buying them for stylistic reasons, then I can't say much--other than that you're willing to pay helluva lotta money to look "cool" :P

If you want quality sound PLUS style -- try sennheiser hd598's ..they're not good for outdoor wear though, but AMAZING sound quality + style imo.

I personally also love zumreed headphones, they're really good for their price range. http://www.zumreed.net/products/headphones/lineup.html

Urbanears are passable, but I wouldn't recommend them personally.

Also try audiotechnica & AKG.

Commy1
Mar 27, 2013, 04:10 PM
In my opinion, the entire Beats series of headphones are way over priced, and for the same money you could get a pair of Sennheiser or Bose that will preform many times better.

The only redeeming quality I see with the Dre line up is the general build quality, but I don't think it's a wild leap of the imagination to assume that other companies could rival or over take them pretty easily.