Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
I've finished all my exams no (woo!), so I started gaming again for the first time in months.

I played Half Life 2 (brilliant game), everything on highest graphics (it's not that intense right?), and everything was fine. Hitting 30 fps 90% of the time, hitting a low of around 22 fps every now and then. I was playing like this for around 2 hours.

I came back to continue playing this evening, and I'm on 15 fps maximum! WHAT?! I've tried restarting my Mac and everything... but it's not playing ball.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

MacBook Pro
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
I've finished all my exams no (woo!), so I started gaming again for the first time in months.

I played Half Life 2 (brilliant game), everything on highest graphics (it's not that intense right?), and everything was fine. Hitting 30 fps 90% of the time, hitting a low of around 22 fps every now and then. I was playing like this for around 2 hours.

I came back to continue playing this evening, and I'm on 15 fps maximum! WHAT?! I've tried restarting my Mac and everything... but it's not playing ball.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

MacBook Pro
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

It's called a ****** port. The Mac versions of Source games are generally crap. For example, TF2 I can barely manage 30fps on an 8v8 match at 1280x800 with all medium settings, high shaders, 2x AA and AF. In Windows, they're all set to high (except shadows which are kept at medium), 2x AA, and 4x AF and it RARELY drops below 50 on a 16v16.

If you can, load Windows onto your iMac. If you can't. Then go into Steam, right click on HL2, Properties, Local Files, then defragment your cache and see if that helps. Beyond that you can lower your settings and just stomach through it I guess.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The OSX versions aren't too great. TF2 was fully playable on my old iMac under Windows but wouldn't run at all on OSX. If you can install Windows I'd recommend that. That 22-30fps range would jump to a constant 60fps on Windows.

I imagine you stumbled onto a larger map or something like that. The game wouldn't magically start running bad for no reason, unless there's an overheating/hardware issue going on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.