PDA

View Full Version : Apple Ramping Up New MacBook Air Production in July [Update]

MacRumors
Jun 23, 2011, 09:39 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/23/apple-ramping-up-new-macbook-air-production-in-july/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/macbook_air_2010_profile.jpg

According to Digitimes (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110623PD224.html), Apple's notebook supply chain will "run in full gear starting" in July in order to meet production of the new MacBook Air models. Apple is said to be expecting to take delivery of over 8 million* MacBook Airs in the 3rd quarter. According to Digitimes, this represents a doubling over the previous quarter.Shipments of parts and components for MacBook lineups totaled an equivalent of 2.2-2.4 million MacBooks in June, and orders for July are likely to top 2.7-2.8 million units, said the sources, noting that the increase is in line with Apple's previous strategy to ramp up deliveries prior to the launch of new products.The sources also reaffirmed what has been expected -- that the new MacBook Air will feature OS X Lion and support for the Thunderbolt interface.

Note that this contradicts previous rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/10/apple-reportedly-beginning-production-of-next-generation-macbook-air-models/) that Apple had already ramped up MacBook Air production. The July ramp-up seems more likely if you are to believe that the MacBook Air will ship with OS X Lion. OS X Lion has not yet seen a final Golden Master build yet. In order to pre-install OS X Lion on MacBook Airs, Apple would presumably have to hit this milestone. Note that separately we have heard that Apple is tentatively targeting the 3rd week of July for the MacBook Air launch, but that this date could always change.

*Update: Digitimes' 8 million MacBook Air Q3 estimate is questionable since this represents twice as many Macs (all kinds) Apple shipped in Q2 2011, casting doubt on the specifics of this report.

Article Link: Apple Ramping Up New MacBook Air Production in July [Update] (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/23/apple-ramping-up-new-macbook-air-production-in-july/)

live4mark
Jun 23, 2011, 09:44 PM
The latter half of 2011 is shaping up to be a rather eventful time for Apple. I'm looking forward to all of the new developments.

mobi
Jun 23, 2011, 09:46 PM
Looking forward to the new MBA specs and any surprises they "sneak" in...

BornAgainMac
Jun 23, 2011, 09:50 PM
I hope the display is updated along with the Air.

KillerTree
Jun 23, 2011, 09:55 PM
I hope the new Air has a backlit keyboard.

nagromme
Jun 23, 2011, 09:58 PM
Canít wait. By the way, I know there are people (like me!) who are disappointed that the Air lost the lighted keyboard (for size, price, power, who knows). But thereís a test you should try on a lighted-keyboard Mac sometime:

1. Darken the room completely. Even turn the screen itself down almost to off.

2. Turn the key lights off completely. You wonít be able to see the letters anymore! When unlit they are gray (not even white) and that just canít be seen well on a black key in near-darkness.

3. BUT notice that you can still see the silver aluminum spaces between the keys just fine. The key-shapes are clearly visible, because metallic silver reflects even a little bit of screen light.

The good news: the current Airs donít have gray-on-black letters like the ones on the lighted keyboards. They have metallic silver letters, and are MUCH easier to see than the old keys when unlit.

And they achieve visibility with no power usage, so in some ways itís an improvement. Just not as cool :)

hotcocoa
Jun 23, 2011, 09:59 PM
I hope there is an option for a matte screen.

shanmugam
Jun 23, 2011, 10:01 PM
I hope eventually APPLE will ship MacBook AIR :eek:

twoodcc
Jun 23, 2011, 10:05 PM
looking forward to the update to the Air. i might just get me one this time. please give us 4 gb of ram standard!

drewyboy
Jun 23, 2011, 10:14 PM
looking forward to the update to the Air. i might just get me one this time. please give us 4 gb of ram standard!

Sure, as long as we get the upgrade option to 8 I don't care!

shanmugam
Jun 23, 2011, 10:15 PM
Number of units are still possible with lowered price of MBA, MB ...

i still think there will be some price adjustment - that is the reason Free iPod touch promotion is cut for students .

Cheerwino
Jun 23, 2011, 10:15 PM
Backlit keyboard is cool but I'd really like to have optical audio out in the headphone jack.

I'd also like a pony.

iCrizzo
Jun 23, 2011, 10:17 PM

Me too, especially if they do come out with the black versions as is being reported!! If it gets a backlit keyboard, sign me up!

racer1441
Jun 23, 2011, 10:22 PM
Backlit keyboard is cool but I'd really like to have optical audio out in the headphone jack.

I'd also like a pony.

Ponies poo alot more than you'd think. Stick with the Air.

shurcooL
Jun 23, 2011, 10:24 PM
Here's hoping for backlit keyboard also! +SB, +Thunderbolt, +Retina display, whoops did I say that?

parapup
Jun 23, 2011, 10:29 PM
With the volume Apple will be expecting to sell (huge to be specific) they should not have too much heartburn over putting in a backlit keyboard and making 4GB RAM as standard.

With the SSD it doesn't make as huge difference with 2GB RAM when the Air is swapping out memory but it still does become sluggish a little quite too easily.

840quadra
Jun 23, 2011, 10:35 PM
I hope the display is updated along with the Air.

I hope eventually APPLE will ship MacBook AIR :eek:

That was actually really funny to read. It was almost like an improv everywhere sketch or something ;) .

On that note, my hope is they have proper production levels to meet the demand. I am set to buy a newer Mac Laptop, I want something smaller than my 15", and iHope™ it is priced well to boot!

firewood
Jun 23, 2011, 10:41 PM
This 8 million MacBook Air estimate is questionable since this represents twice as many Macs (all kinds) Apple shipped in Q2 2011, casting doubt on the specifics of this report.

Maybe Apple plans on a steep price drop that will greatly increase MBA sales volume. Apple has a huge economy of scale to keep manufacturing cost down at nearly netbook levels.

Done. The MBA display is already much closer to the MBP matte display than any glossy display. I use my MBA during the day with my back to a large picture window. No problems.

brandnewfunk
Jun 23, 2011, 10:46 PM

^^agreed! that was the one missing feature that was a deal breaker for me. there's no point in my having a LAPtop if i can't type in my favorite URLs in the dark. :o

wingfaith
Jun 23, 2011, 10:49 PM
I just wish apple offers more colors for it's users. Sure keeping the color consistent is a good symbol for what the company represents, but lately, i've been seeing way too much alum mbp and it's just annoying. No originality at all, same old designs. No matter how good the design is, too much of anything is never good...

brandnewfunk
Jun 23, 2011, 10:52 PM
I just wish apple offers more colors for it's users. Sure keeping the color consistent is a good symbol for what the company represents, but lately, i've been seeing way too much alum mbp and it's just annoying. No originality at all, same old designs. No matter how good the design is, too much of anything is never good...

so u'd like to see like colored/tinted aluminum? or abandon the aluminum altogether for another material that allows for diff colors?

diff colors might be fresh. ..

tombubi
Jun 23, 2011, 11:05 PM
I am just hoping they wont put Intel graphic card as they do in 13 inch MBP.

SqB
Jun 23, 2011, 11:07 PM
so u'd like to see like colored/tinted aluminum? or abandon the aluminum altogether for another material that allows for diff colors?

Probably not too likely from a company who's CEO wears the same clothes every day.

swingerofbirch
Jun 23, 2011, 11:08 PM
I actually don't mind glossy and would like to see glass on the MBA, as it is so easy to clean and more durable. I can see the problem if you use it outside--my MBP with glass is almost impossible to use outside. But even with a matte screen it's not a great experience using it outside anyhow, and I never do use mine outside, except for the odd occasion, which has been so infrequent I didn't mind the squinting. I think the durability and the cleaning ability make up for the glare.

brucku
Jun 23, 2011, 11:15 PM
Thunderbolt would likely mean Target Disk Mode for the first time on a Macbook Air. Very important on a sealed onboard Solid State Hard Drive machine.

MartiNZ
Jun 23, 2011, 11:16 PM
Canít wait. By the way, I know there are people (like me!) who are disappointed that the Air lost the lighted keyboard (for size, price, power, who knows). But thereís a test you should try on a lighted-keyboard Mac sometime:

2. Turn the key lights off completely. You wonít be able to see the letters anymore! When unlit they are gray (not even white) and that just canít be seen well on a black key in near-darkness.

3. BUT notice that you can still see the silver aluminum spaces between the keys just fine. The key-shapes are clearly visible, because metallic silver reflects even a little bit of screen light.

The good news: the current Airs donít have gray-on-black letters like the ones on the lighted keyboards. They have metallic silver letters, and are MUCH easier to see than the old keys when unlit.

And they achieve visibility with no power usage, so in some ways itís an improvement. Just not as cool :)

With you all the way, plus the Air is awarded an extra F-key - I can't say it enough times, that is far more useful than a backlit keyboard.

KylePowers
Jun 23, 2011, 11:26 PM
I still can't decide if I want the 13in or 11in. I just got a 27in iMac and I have an iPad 2. I'm leaning toward the 13, but we'll see I guess lol.

Duke15
Jun 23, 2011, 11:29 PM
I would presume this is legit other than the projected sales. but geeze another 4 weeks... I would assume it will have either blk, 4g ram std, or more storage std seeing as they are saving on not having to put in a discrete graphics chip

robert109
Jun 23, 2011, 11:44 PM
sandy bridge and backlit keyboard, that's all I want.

Samsumac
Jun 24, 2011, 12:49 AM
A discrete gpu is not going to happen

Slurpy2k8
Jun 24, 2011, 12:50 AM

They won't have a choice if its running Sandy Bridge. No way in hell an air can fit a discreet card. Don't set yourself up for disappointment. It WILL be intel graphics.

What I'm looking for is Sandy Bridge, backlit KB, 4GB RAM standard, and HD facetime camera.

SCMW
Jun 24, 2011, 01:06 AM
I want my apps on my laptop, I use 60% of my computer time with app like programs and 40% on others like InDesign and the likes. But I would love to have a 3G capable MB Air so I can really be mobile when I need to.

Now I carry my Macbook, iPad & iPhone so please Apple, help your aging users to carry around less stuff instead of more ;)

Titanium81
Jun 24, 2011, 01:23 AM
They won't have a choice if its running Sandy Bridge. No way in hell an air can fit a discreet card. Don't set yourself up for disappointment. It WILL be intel graphics.

What I'm looking for is Sandy Bridge, backlit KB, 4GB RAM standard, and HD facetime camera.

They fit the NVIDIA GeForce 320M used in all previous MBP's in the Current MBA what makes you think they wont squeeze a discreet graphics card in the New Refreshed 2011 MBA?

This is Apple after all (a 300+ Billion Dollar Company).

I would be happy with this:
(Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6490M with automatic graphics switching)

QCassidy352
Jun 24, 2011, 01:42 AM
They fit the NVIDIA GeForce 320M used in all previous MBP's in the Current MBA what makes you think they wont squeeze a discreet graphics card in the New Refreshed 2011 MBA?

This is Apple after all (a 300+ Billion Dollar Company).

I would be happy with this:
(Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6490M with automatic graphics switching)

Setting yourself up for disappointment. The 13" mbp has only intel integrated - no way the air has better. Accept it now and you'll be happier when it actually comes out.

Eric-PTEK
Jun 24, 2011, 02:03 AM
I hope Apple offers typing lessons with every MBA :p

What is it with this backlit keyboard? I use my MBA in the dark all the time and haven't looked at a keyboard in 20 years when I type.

I'd be happy with just a bit more ooomph. When we travel Aperture can be a bit laggy even with dedicated libraries.

Other than that I think the thing is about perfect. TB will be nice(so will a TB device), again for Aperture so its faster to offload libraries as they get too large.

Black and the rumors of CF would be great to see.

ohbrilliance
Jun 24, 2011, 02:15 AM
The GeForce 320M was part of the chipset and not an external card. NVidia chipsets were 'allowed' by Intel with the Core 2 Duo but not with processors since then, which was a big factor if not the main decider in Apple sticking with Core 2 Duo chips on the current MPAs.

Somebody please correct me or elaborate further.

sporadicMotion
Jun 24, 2011, 02:16 AM
That's a huge number of units. Those kind of numbers would make more sense if they were releasing a whole line of Air's or replacing the entire MacBook family with Air inspired machines... Apple does hate optical drives.

Tired wild and unfounded speculation based on fantasy. Yup. Goodnight.

holmesf
Jun 24, 2011, 02:54 AM
The GeForce 320M was part of the chipset and not an external card. NVidia chipsets were 'allowed' by Intel with the Core 2 Duo but not with processors since then, which was a big factor if not the main decider in Apple sticking with Core 2 Duo chips on the current MPAs.

Somebody please correct me or elaborate further.

Sounds 100% correct to me.

Here's an article on it from Macrumors itself.
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/10/nvidia-and-intel-settle-nvidia-still-prohibited-from-building-chipsets-for-newest-intel-processors/

ugru
Jun 24, 2011, 03:01 AM

Is incredible how people fail to undestand how GPUs are classified....

There are 4 levels of GPU for laptops and all in one computers:

They are as follows from the less powerful to the higher...

Integrated in the CPU: every core i3/i5/i7 has one, they cannot but put it in your computer, they can decide to swich it off but it is still there, this is the INTEL HD 2000/3000 that you'll find in next Airs

Integrated on the Motherboard with shared memory with the system: like the nVidia 320m that you find in current Airs or the nVidia 9400m. Thay are FORBIDDEN by intel on core i3/i5/i7 computers. That is why apple decided to stick to C2D on current AIR.

Esternal GPU connected to the computer via express card, possible on the next AIRs through Thunderbolt Port. (this is a mere hypotesys because they still do not exist).

Integrated on the motherboard with their own memory (AKA "discrete GPU"): need appropriate space and cooling, this is the nVidia 9600M or the nVidia 330 or the GPUs that you find on iMacs and MacBook Pro 15" and 17".

Therefore, unless they stick with Core2Duo chip or go AMD, which is highly unlikely, the air will surely get INTEL HD 2000/3000 because it is inside the CPU and there is no way you will find a discrete GPU because there is not enough space to accomodate the supplementary cooling needed.

You will may find a discrete low level GPU on the next MacBookPro 13" if they remove the Optical Drive for good.

dg28com
Jun 24, 2011, 03:07 AM
I already have an 11" MBA and the one thing I would love a new version to have would be a SIM card slot for 3G connectivity. It works so well on the iPad and Apple Stores have mechanisms to sell the SIM cards and contracts that it would be a wonderfully useful upgrade to the MBA. I spend so much of my time with a USB 3G Dongle hanging out of the laptop and this one addition would be very good indeed.

I am assuming that Thunderbolt is a given and bigger SSDs will be available too. I don't find the lack of a backlit keyboard an issue in the slightest.

wrkactjob
Jun 24, 2011, 03:19 AM
Here's hoping for backlit keyboard also! +SB, +Thunderbolt, +Retina display, whoops did I say that?

Yeah and I want at long last to be able to change the text tones....

....oh wait....

ri0ku
Jun 24, 2011, 03:49 AM
If theres no bluray drive im not buying!

but seriously.. people wanting backlit keys etc are asking for quite a bit... its such a small enclosure it wont fit in their without having to thicken the case slightly....

But if Apple prove me wrong and puts it in and in the same size enclosure I will eat my macbook pro, or rather il have it melted then drink it.

Azathoth
Jun 24, 2011, 04:03 AM
but seriously.. people wanting backlit keys etc are asking for quite a bit... its such a small enclosure it wont fit in their without having to thicken the case slightly....

But if Apple prove me wrong and puts it in and in the same size enclosure I will eat my macbook pro, or rather il have it melted then drink it.

Of course it's possible - even maintaining the current thickness. It might just not be economically viable for the pricepoint Apple wants to hit.

ri0ku
Jun 24, 2011, 04:09 AM
Of course it's possible - even maintaining the current thickness. It might just not be economically viable for the pricepoint Apple wants to hit.

Oh sorry, I didnt know you were an Apple hardware engineer. :rolleyes:

Its really thin... including LED backlit and having a board to maintain the control in brightness for it so close to the keys and right above the motherboard just wont fit.

Again though if they prove me wrong then I will melt my mbp. LED's backlighting is extremely cheap so pricing isnt the problem.

Mobius 1
Jun 24, 2011, 04:10 AM
adaptor for external GPU

preferably 6970M or 7000M series

Optimus Frag
Jun 24, 2011, 04:13 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the perfect example of positive thinking and seeking the best out if any given situation.

Let it be an example to us all.

No, I'm not being sarcastic.

ugru
Jun 24, 2011, 04:17 AM
adaptor for external GPU

preferably 6970M or 7000M series

Since they are external and they have their own PSU and cooling system, there is no need to limit it to mobility GPU.
You can stick a full fledged desktop ATI 6XXX or nVidia 5XX in an external enclosure....

The problem is that their performance will be limited by Thunderbolt throughput.....

Shaun, UK
Jun 24, 2011, 04:26 AM
Would love to see the MBA in a range of colours similar to the iPod Nano. They would fly off the shelves.

Hellhammer
Jun 24, 2011, 04:53 AM
Integrated on the motherboard with their own memory (AKA "discrete GPU"): need appropriate space and cooling, this is the nVidia 9600M or the nVidia 330 or the GPUs that you find on iMacs and MacBook Pro 15" and 17".

Not integrated, soldered. In general, integrated GPUs (IGPs) use system memory (RAM), that is their definition. If the GPU has it's own memory, then it is a discrete GPU.

In MBPs, the GPUs are soldered onto the logic board to save space but in iMacs the GPUs are on separate MXM boards.

macDelirium
Jun 24, 2011, 04:54 AM
As long as there's a backlit keyboard and support for 8GB Memory - I'm buying.

ugru
Jun 24, 2011, 05:07 AM
Not integrated, soldered. In general, integrated GPUs (IGPs) use system memory (RAM), that is their definition. If the GPU has it's own memory, then it is a discrete GPU.

In MBPs, the GPUs are soldered onto the logic board to save space but in iMacs the GPUs are on separate MXM boards.

I have put the discrete GPU of the MBP type and of the iMac type in the same category to keep it simple and because they are both mobility GPU with similar performance. But you are correct...

MrNomNoms
Jun 24, 2011, 05:15 AM
It will be interesting to see how it all turns out given the rumours are that like the 13.3 MacBook Pro they're going to move to the HD 3000 GPU unless Apple is going to hold off for the Ivy bridge refresh but that would be minimum 6 months away if that was the case.

ugru
Jun 24, 2011, 05:22 AM
It will be interesting to see how it all turns out given the rumours are that like the 13.3 MacBook Pro they're going to move to the HD 3000 GPU unless Apple is going to hold off for the Ivy bridge refresh but that would be minimum 6 months away if that was the case.

They are forced to use Intel HD3000 ulness they keep C2D or use AMD architecture....

Even if the wait for Ivy Bridge they will still use Intel GPU (successor of HD3000) because it is INSIDE the CPU you cannot avoid using it....

insider-man
Jun 24, 2011, 05:37 AM
As I said 3 days ago . . .

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1173855&page=6

Nice to see I get negative rating for my posts regardless of the fact they are reality opposed to half the rumors what get posted on here.

:apple:

GLS
Jun 24, 2011, 05:55 AM
Crimeny...what a bunch of whiners and daydreamers who comment here. It is a ****ing computer. There are limitations (design and technical) from both from Apple and Intel. Having said that:

This I can agree with, but rarely does Apple remove a feature and have a change of heart down the road and re-introduce it.

Obviously, you have not used a MBA....I would not call either the 11 or 13 glossy. And yes, my 15" MPB has the matte display....I do know the difference.

Retina? Seriously?

WTF? This is not Dell; it is Apple. There is silver.....and white if you want plastic. Maybe they come out with a black Macbook Air this time. But seeing too many aluminum MB is annoying? Switch to an Acer then....and be different....

Same as above. No way is Apple going to have different SKU's.....for colors alone....on a fuggin' computer....

You must not read many forums or whatnot. It has been told countless times why Apple is now using Intel graphics.

Would love to see the MBA in a range of colours similar to the iPod Nano. They would fly off the shelves.

Yes, because the current iteration (silver only) isn't flying off the shelves.

reputationZed
Jun 24, 2011, 06:27 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wouldn't a backlit keyboard scare the pony?

I'm not really hoping for much more than Sandybridge CPU's and the option for 8GB of RAM. Not sure I'd go for the 8GB, but I'd like to see the option.

pmz
Jun 24, 2011, 06:44 AM
On June 24th, any one can make up these rumors. We know Lion's release is within a month, meaning the GM seed is at most 1 - 2 weeks away from being seeded. Which also means, new Macs will be built with Lion starting in 1 - 2 weeks.

No freaking kidding.

Azathoth
Jun 24, 2011, 07:15 AM
Obviously, you have not used a MBA....I would not call either the 11 or 13 glossy. And yes, my 15" MPB has the matte display....I do know the difference.

I agree with everything else you say, but the MBA screen is glossy. It is almost the definition of glossy.

The "glossy" MBP can only be described as uber-glossy - with an extra layer of glossiness on top :p

PS Yes the matte MBP15 screen is great. The MBA glossy panels are ok. The MBP glossy-with-even-more-glass gives me eyestrain.

Azathoth
Jun 24, 2011, 07:17 AM
On June 24th, any one can make up these rumors. We know Lion's release is within a month, meaning the GM seed is at most 1 - 2 weeks away from being seeded. Which also means, new Macs will be built with Lion starting in 1 - 2 weeks.

No freaking kidding.

Just out of interest - at what point is the OS image put onto the internal HDD?

Is it pre- or post-assembly (of the computer)? I.e. do they write it onto the HDD before or after it's in the computer?

nizmoz
Jun 24, 2011, 07:17 AM
As I said 3 days ago . . .

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1173855&page=6

Nice to see I get negative rating for my posts regardless of the fact they are reality opposed to half the rumors what get posted on here.

:apple:

How about some more negative because you didn't post anything new in that topic or this one that no one knew already. :rolleyes:

Marx55
Jun 24, 2011, 07:23 AM
Most MacBook Air sold are of the 11.6-inch model. Why having less battery and power? Because in this kind of computer people want mobility. That is why a 7-inch (or so) MacBook Air will outsell any other MacBook.

Reason077
Jun 24, 2011, 07:36 AM
Integrated on the Motherboard with shared memory with the system: like the nVidia 320m that you find in current Airs or the nVidia 9400m. Thay are FORBIDDEN by intel on core i3/i5/i7 computers. That is why apple decided to stick to C2D on current AIR.

That may have been one reason why the Air uses C2D, but the main reason is that when the current Air shipped, the ULV i5/i7 chips still had much higher power consumption than the ULV C2D chips of the time (18W vs 10W TDP), and you still had to add a GPU on top of that.

If the i5 was used, the Air would have had significantly reduced battery life, and possibly would have required a redesign in order to be able to dissipate more heat.

It's only now that the Sandy Bridge i5s are available, which integrate a decent GPU in a 17W TDP package, as well as offering other power saving features, that the i5 has become a realistic option.

Esternal GPU connected to the computer via express card, possible on the next AIRs through Thunderbolt Port. (this is a mere hypotesys because they still do not exist).

Interesting idea. With Thunderbolt there shouldn't be any reason why an external display with its own built in GPU, or perhaps even a GPU upgrade dongle (plug it in for gaming) isn't possible.

Azathoth
Jun 24, 2011, 07:38 AM
Most MacBook Air sold are of the 11.6-inch model. Why having less battery and power? Because in this kind of computer people want mobility. That is why a 7-inch (or so) MacBook Air will outsell any other MacBook.

I disagree - price is a v important reason for ppl purchasing the 11inch MBA (rather than the 13 inch) - there is a 470 USD difference between base 11inch and base 13inch where I live.

ftaok
Jun 24, 2011, 08:06 AM
Any chance that the new Airs would get non-soldered RAM? Perhaps using the Intel HD gpu would leave enough space for clipped in RAM.

As long as the SSD is still swappable, I'd be happy. More happy with removable RAM, though.

NickFalk
Jun 24, 2011, 08:08 AM
I disagree - price is a v important reason for ppl purchasing the 11inch MBA (rather than the 13 inch) - there is a 470 USD difference between base 11inch and base 13inch where I live.
People considering economy vs. specifications would probably not end up with an Air. I bought my 11" purely for the size, I consider it the perfect "commuterputer"...

OLNO100
Jun 24, 2011, 08:16 AM
I guess we can't expect a early july release anymore because of this statement? Or am I wrong?

I want the new Air to be released now. Will buy one day one and it will be my first mac.

insider-man
Jun 24, 2011, 08:51 AM
How about some more negative because you didn't post anything new in that topic or this one that no one knew already. :rolleyes:

That's strange I don't recall seeing anyone stating they are already in product - product has already been ramped up. But hey believe what you want - I could tell the exact building they are being produced in but hey NDAs are something of a bind.

Oh well no more from me . . . c'ya. :apple:

peskaa
Jun 24, 2011, 08:54 AM
Ugh, just release it already Apple.

Justshutupandtakemymoney.

Thex1138
Jun 24, 2011, 09:01 AM
A new toy for Christmas!:D

ugru
Jun 24, 2011, 09:05 AM
That may have been one reason why the Air uses C2D, but the main reason is that when the current Air shipped, the ULV i5/i7 chips still had much higher power consumption than the ULV C2D chips of the time (18W vs 10W TDP), and you still had to add a GPU on top of that.

No the problem was that Intel Integrated GPU in the first i3/i5/i7 series CPU (not sandybridge, the previous ones) sucked badly, and they COULD NOT add a GPU like the 320m on top of that because Intel DO NOT ALLOW an integrated GPU and nVidia chipset on the motherborad. So they decided to keep C2D because they could use nVidia 320m which was a lot superior to the GPU inside 1st gen core CPU.

Intel and nVidia have been in dispute over this matter for years, read here

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/10/nvidia-and-intel-settle-nvidia-still-prohibited-from-building-chipsets-for-newest-intel-processors/

With the new AIRs you will not have this problem becasuse Intel HD3000 i.e, the GPU integrated inside the sandybrige core i3/i5/i7 is "nearly" on par with 320m.

adztaylor
Jun 24, 2011, 09:09 AM
Realistically it will probably sport the Sandy Bridge processor. Perhaps with an option for 8 GB RAM and perhaps an option for backlit keyboard. Also a slightly beefier battery. That's all I reckon. I doubt Thunderbolt will be added. But this is Apple after all who knows.

peskaa
Jun 24, 2011, 09:21 AM
Realistically it will probably sport the Sandy Bridge processor. Perhaps with an option for 8 GB RAM and perhaps an option for backlit keyboard. Also a slightly beefier battery. That's all I reckon. I doubt Thunderbolt will be added. But this is Apple after all who knows.

Did your magic ball tell you this? SB is obvious, 8GB is certainly possible, but Thunderbolt is also a given as it is Apple's newest I/O standard that will be in all their computers from now on. No idea why you think it won't be added.

Tonewheel
Jun 24, 2011, 09:31 AM
Crimeny...what a bunch of whiners and daydreamers who comment here. It is a ****ing computer. There are limitations (design and technical) from both from Apple and Intel. Having said that:

This I can agree with, but rarely does Apple remove a feature and have a change of heart down the road and re-introduce it.

Retina? Seriously?

WTF? This is not Dell; it is Apple. There is silver.....and white if you want plastic. Maybe they come out with a black Macbook Air this time. But seeing too many aluminum MB is annoying? Switch to an Acer then....and be different....

Same as above. No way is Apple going to have different SKU's.....for colors alone....on a fuggin' computer....

You must not read many forums or whatnot. It has been told countless times why Apple is now using Intel graphics.

Yes, because the current iteration (silver only) isn't flying off the shelves.

I have to agree with you. Practicality be damned, let the ten year olds post away!

toddybody
Jun 24, 2011, 09:40 AM
If it doesnt have discrete graphics, Quad Core SB, 128GB Standard SSD, IPS 1200p for 13", and a Backlit Keyboard...its gonna be a total failure.

Oh, we MR folk are a crazy lot;)

applefanDrew
Jun 24, 2011, 09:42 AM
If they would make the low end 13 Air the same price as the low end 13 Pro, I'd get one. I know they won't but it'd be cool.

JS77
Jun 24, 2011, 09:47 AM

4GB Standard and Backlit keyboard and my credit card will jump out of my wallet!

brandnewfunk
Jun 24, 2011, 10:01 AM
probably not too likely from a company who's ceo wears the same clothes every day.

lol!!!

HiRez
Jun 24, 2011, 10:09 AM
I don't see why they couldn't manufacture the Airs and then hold them in a warehouse until the keychain drive with Lion on it is ready, which is probably added as part of the final packaging step anyway. Then at least they could have a large number pretty much ready to ship the day the final Lion build goes out. They probably have a way to quickly copy the OS onto the internal SSD rapidly.

igazza
Jun 24, 2011, 10:13 AM

no choice. :rolleyes:

Mackblack
Jun 24, 2011, 10:13 AM
"Note that separately we have heard that Apple is tentatively targeting the 3rd week of July for the MacBook Air launch, but that this date could always change. "

The longer they push the release date the less incentive I have to buy the MBA and simply wait for the new redesigned MBP that they are gonna release next year... and yes I know they want to ship it with LION preinstalled but not all apple users are idiots, some of us know how to upgrade our system software... I WANT MY SANDY BRIDGE MACBOOOK AIR AND I WANT NAWWWWWWWWW!

iRobertM
Jun 24, 2011, 10:14 AM
I hope they release a 17" version with optional retractable legs so it can also be used as a T.V tray. Sorry but some of these "I hope is has [insert whatever] here" are funny. And were is the "No Blu-Ray no buy!" crowd? :D

toddybody
Jun 24, 2011, 10:39 AM
Im just hoping to get a crazy good deal on a C2D 13"...much rather save 300$ and keep the 320m.

erpetao
Jun 24, 2011, 11:12 AM
Regarding the backlit keyboard as a deal breaker...

Do you guys know that the letters F & J have a little bump? Do you know why? The reason is so you can find them quickly in the dark by your sense of touch, place your index fingers on them, and you are set to start typing.

No need for a backlit keyboard to write in the dark.

GREEN4U
Jun 24, 2011, 11:24 AM
wish list:

- matte screen
- smaller bezel (so bigger screen or smaller footprint)
- backlit keyboard
- i7 processor
- SD slot on base model

LDH
Jun 24, 2011, 11:30 AM
Regarding the backlit keyboard as a deal breaker...

Do you guys know that the letters F & J have a little bump? Do you know why? The reason is so you can find them quickly in the dark by your sense of touch, place your index fingers on them, and you are set to start typing.

No need for a backlit keyboard to write in the dark.

Seriously, the backlight is kind of cool, but I never miss it when switching between my MBP and Dell work laptop. Learning to touch type is much more productive than whining about the lack of backlight on the Air. Would I mind Apple bringing this feature back? No, but only if it didn't affect the price, battery life, size, or weight.

ghostlyorb
Jun 24, 2011, 11:45 AM
I bet that if they have the MBAs priced below a thousand.. they would sell close to 8 million. I would buy one.. and my church would buy a bunch.

regandarcy
Jun 24, 2011, 11:53 AM
I don't see why they couldn't manufacture the Airs and then hold them in a warehouse until the keychain drive with Lion on it is ready, which is probably added as part of the final packaging step anyway. Then at least they could have a large number pretty much ready to ship the day the final Lion build goes out. They probably have a way to quickly copy the OS onto the internal SSD rapidly.

If the macbook airs were ready, why didnt Apple just release them with the current OSX and then just offer everyone who bought them a free download of LION when it was ready? Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

FinalShizzle
Jun 24, 2011, 12:21 PM
If the macbook airs were ready, why didnt Apple just release them with the current OSX and then just offer everyone who bought them a free download of LION when it was ready? Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Right, they did that with the transition from OSX Leopard to Snow Leopard. But I guess the volumes are too large this time. Then they are running the risk that too many people will not upgrade (soon) maybe?

Scott6666
Jun 24, 2011, 12:34 PM

The current screen is really rather good. I always have purchased matte MBP's in the past and my 11" Air screen seems fine to me.

m3digi
Jun 24, 2011, 12:36 PM
I want my apps on my laptop, I use 60% of my computer time with app like programs and 40% on others like InDesign and the likes. But I would love to have a 3G capable MB Air so I can really be mobile when I need to.

Now I carry my Macbook, iPad & iPhone so please Apple, help your aging users to carry around less stuff instead of more ;)

But you carry an iPhone... Mobile Hotspot, Tethering? Why is 3G in an MBA necessary?

m3digi
Jun 24, 2011, 12:46 PM
The longer they push the release date the less incentive I have to buy the MBA and simply wait for the new redesigned MBP that they are gonna release next year... and yes I know they want to ship it with LION preinstalled but not all apple users are idiots, some of us know how to upgrade our system software... I WANT MY SANDY BRIDGE MACBOOOK AIR AND I WANT NAWWWWWWWWW!

I'm sure Apple thought long and hard about the .01% of exceptionally brilliant users like you, and the implications of not releasing the new MBA with Lion, when planning the production and release of the MBA. :rolleyes:

Children...

WissMAN
Jun 24, 2011, 01:10 PM

The latter half of 2011 is shaping up to be a rather eventful time for Apple. I'm looking forward to all of the new developments.

I agree! There will be much to absorb :-)

adztaylor
Jun 24, 2011, 01:42 PM
Did your magic ball tell you this? SB is obvious, 8GB is certainly possible, but Thunderbolt is also a given as it is Apple's newest I/O standard that will be in all their computers from now on. No idea why you think it won't be added.

Oh look everyone we have an Apple employee in our presence. He CLEARLY knows everything :rolleyes: I was just offering my views about alls that is going to be updated and I don't think Thunderbolt will be added. They barely offer enough ports on the MBA as it is. As port space is very important on the MBA I really don't think they will until it has taken off properly.

cvaldes
Jun 24, 2011, 01:43 PM
I bet that if they have the MBAs priced below a thousand.. they would sell close to 8 million. I would buy one.. and my church would buy a bunch.
Uh, they are priced below a thousand.

The entry-level 11" MBA is listed at $999. You and your church can go nuts.

Marx55
Jun 24, 2011, 02:03 PM

Nope. If price was the key, then people would buy a MacBook instead of an expensive underpowered MacBook Air.

The real advantage of the Air is the weight and the size. Actually, when only the 13-inch MacBook Air was available, some people said that a lighter and smaller model was not a good idea, yet sales have proven the contrary with the MacBook Air 11-inch outselling the larger one. I would pay up to 6,000 USD for a 7-inch MacBook Air (400 to 600 g). Even with 2 h battery or so.

NurJahan
Jun 24, 2011, 02:15 PM
Nope. If price was the key, then people would buy a MacBook instead of an expensive underpowered MacBook Air.

The real advantage of the Air is the weight and the size. Actually, when only the 13-inch MacBook Air was available, some people said that a lighter and smaller model was not a good idea, yet sales have proven the contrary with the MacBook Air 11-inch outselling the larger one. I would pay up to 6,000 USD for a 7-inch MacBook Air (400 to 600 g). Even with 2 h battery or so.

Wow you are pretty sure with that "nope" aren't you? Perhaps you're forgetting about the people who want to choose out of the cheaper of the 2 lightweight laptops. Not everyone's going for power, maybe they want portability.

NurJahan
Jun 24, 2011, 02:18 PM

I think ghostlyorb means more than just the base 11" MBA, which can hardly count as a proper laptop for an institution.

Samsumac
Jun 24, 2011, 02:25 PM
Adding to the usual upgrading hyperbole of an expensive piece of hardware®

MB Air upgrade Fantasy Wish list :D:D

i8 cpu - ulv cpu specially baked for apple - its desktop counterpart will be installed in the upcoming mb pro's.. We do not want any pesky ulv i7 cpu's. Samsung, lenovo, acer and all other uncool companies can have those

Thunderbolt and usb 3.0 ports - Just because the great Apple one wants to kill mb -pro sales . Air is the future!

Backlit keyboard - Just to piss off the blind-typing folks

4 GB Ram standard on the motherboard - upgraded to 8 GB by the user
via a special, magical, slot only a Mac could have.

And of course ... Intel HD graphics HD3500, better than the Nvidia GeForce 320M--

Choice of matt and glossy screens. (not that the current one is that glossy)

An even longer-lasting battery

OS X -Lion (King of the apple orchard special edition)

Booklet with his Steveness endorsing the new MB air ( signed by the deity himself)

Even after all these, human nature would still not be content...... :cool:

reputationZed
Jun 24, 2011, 03:07 PM

That's just crazy talk. There is a line between portability and usability and a 7" MBA clearly crosses that line. As Steve has already stated Apple has no interest in the 7" tablet market why would you think they would even consider a 7" laptop?

gkarris
Jun 24, 2011, 03:12 PM
I think ghostlyorb means more than just the base 11" MBA, which can hardly count as a proper laptop for an institution.

As Apple has just proven in this horrible Economy, they don't have to lower prices on anything... :eek:

You can just go with refurbs if you want a MBA under $1000...

reputationZed
Jun 24, 2011, 03:21 PM

Why not? Unless the church in question is big into running VM's, encoding video, or multiplayer Left for Dead, I can't see why the base MBA wouldn't be a viable option.

peskaa
Jun 24, 2011, 03:30 PM
Oh look everyone we have an Apple employee in our presence. He CLEARLY knows everything :rolleyes: I was just offering my views about alls that is going to be updated and I don't think Thunderbolt will be added. They barely offer enough ports on the MBA as it is. As port space is very important on the MBA I really don't think they will until it has taken off properly.

Somebody is a bit touchy today!

The MBA currently has an MDP port. Thunderbolt uses the same port, so it won't need to use any extra space - from the outside the MBA 2011 will look exactly the same.

It's the internet, chill.

RawKurd
Jun 24, 2011, 04:21 PM
I don't know about you guys but i'd rather see them build a cd port and sd card slot on the smallest sized screen. And yes, they can do it, but they just want people to spend more money.

bear1973
Jun 24, 2011, 04:33 PM
What the MacBook Air needs more than anything else is a built-in 3G or 4G option and a subscription plan like an iPad. I can't believe this hasn't happened earlier; if Apple doesn't do it this time it's sheer stupidity. This needs to be a mobile anywhere device.

Heilage
Jun 24, 2011, 04:38 PM
Somebody is a bit touchy today!

The MBA currently has an MDP port. Thunderbolt uses the same port, so it won't need to use any extra space - from the outside the MBA 2011 will look exactly the same.

It's the internet, chill.

Question is die space though. However, the current MBA has two large chips on the logic board, CPU and the Nvidia chip. Since the SB CPUs has an IGP, there might be enough space for that TB controller.

(Holy crap, that was a lot of acronyms at once)

Hellhammer
Jun 24, 2011, 04:42 PM
Question is die space though. However, the current MBA has two large chips on the logic board, CPU and the Nvidia chip. Since the SB CPUs has an IGP, there might be enough space for that TB controller.

(Holy crap, that was a lot of acronyms at once)

There is still need for PCH which is roughly the same size as CPU and other bigger chips. It has only 4W TDP though. I don't think that will stop Apple from putting TB in MBAs though.

Heilage
Jun 24, 2011, 04:52 PM
That is true. I'm only speculating here, I hope TB shows up on the Air, it would be a great upgrade (and the machine for me to buy).

Obi Wan Kenobi
Jun 24, 2011, 05:16 PM
Speculation runs rife as usual, I see.

For what it's worth, my wish list is:
1 Sandy Bridge processor
2 256 SSD
3 8GB RAM
4 Longer battery life, say 7 hours at least
5 Backlit keyboard
6 Matte Black finish

:cool:

All I realistically expect is
1 Sandy Bridge processor
2 4GB RAM (as standard)

:(

Obi Wan Kenobi
Jun 24, 2011, 05:19 PM

"Go outside the graphics are amazing".

@HiRez. I love your signature, Dude

aiolos
Jun 24, 2011, 06:20 PM
It's not really surprising the MBA's have been ready for awhile. Even before TB was on the MBP's, Apple was testing the port on prototypes of all of their models. The SB processors will finally be used because the IGP HD 3000's are finally somewhat comparable to the outgoing Nvidia 320m's. They didn't put the first gen i7's in because the IGP was MUCH worse than the 320m's, and would have been too much of a negative impact on the MBA's overall performance to justify the processor upgrade.

I wish they would send them out now, since the upgrade to Lion would be free, but Apple wants to maximize the install base of Lion so they can brag about the numbers to the shareholders. It makes sense, but yes, I want my MBA now.

Also, the only thing left to wonder IMO is whether or not 4GB RAM will be standard and 8GB available, backlit being brought back, or whether or not Apple will use ULV or just LV processors. While the Core2Duo machines have a separate CPU (17w) and GPU (10w), the SB have the CPU and GPU made together, so when they're talking about power consumption, it includes both. This means Apple could use LV processors instead of ULV, because the LV's are 25W, and the ULV are 17W. The current thermal design allowed for 27W, so 17W is way below that. I think they'll probably use the ULV on the 11" for battery life improvement, but I hope the 13" will use the LV processors.

The point of the TB port isn't just that it's an amazing port to connect SSD externals too. The point is also that with it's 10Gb/s throughput, you can connect a hub to it that will connect to multiple USB3.0's, eSata, Displayport, etc., without sacrificing ANY of the max throughput's of any of those ports. You can also daisy link devices.

It actually makes MORE sense to put it on a port-limited computer because it allows to connect a ton of devices through one port.

Besides, Apple has a 1-year exclusivity agreement on TB. They want it on every computer to maximize its presence in the market before PC's get access to the devices so they can use it as a selling point for Macs.

KnightWRX
Jun 24, 2011, 06:26 PM
The MBA currently has an MDP port. Thunderbolt uses the same port, so it won't need to use any extra space -

Except for the huge hulking chip that's required on the logic board. That may be a good reason MBAs won't see TB just yet.

Jumpthrough
Jun 24, 2011, 08:50 PM
I agree with everything else you say, but the MBA screen is glossy. It is almost the definition of glossy.

The "glossy" MBP can only be described as uber-glossy - with an extra layer of glossiness on top :p

PS Yes the matte MBP15 screen is great. The MBA glossy panels are ok. The MBP glossy-with-even-more-glass gives me eyestrain.

This is exactly the reason I'm will be purchasing the MBA over the MBP 13"- the gloss on the MBP is to much! And I'm over it!

The somewhat glossy screen on the MBA is just right for me.

I'm excited about the update any which way it goes, and really wish it would happen already-the first of July would be GREAT!:cool:

Man9z0r
Jun 25, 2011, 02:37 AM
Man I just got used to using my MBP. I knew I should of just waited for the air.

If it just has sandybridge and 4 gig standard memory I am going to have to sell the MBP for one.:cool:

regandarcy
Jun 25, 2011, 03:46 AM
If you bought your MBP within 14 days, you can return it to Apple. If not, the resale value on it should be great and you can get a macbook air with the money you get for it and probably have some change left over. No worries. :-)

drsmithy
Jun 25, 2011, 08:30 AM
Maybe Apple plans on a steep price drop that will greatly increase MBA sales volume. Apple has a huge economy of scale to keep manufacturing cost down at nearly netbook levels.
Steep price drop ? Increase volumes ?

This is Apple we're talking about. They simply don't do either of those things, and they sure as hell don't do it with premium products like the MacBook Air.

Abstract
Jun 25, 2011, 09:27 AM
All I want is an 11" MBA with 256 GB SSD as an option! I'm not asking for it as standard config. I just want the option (since I'd pay for this option).

That's strange I don't recall seeing anyone stating they are already in product - product has already been ramped up. But hey believe what you want - I could tell the exact building they are being produced in but hey NDAs are something of a bind.

Oh well no more from me . . . c'ya. :apple:

Buy loser. Thanks for telling us nothing new.

peskaa
Jun 25, 2011, 11:29 AM
Except for the huge hulking chip that's required on the logic board. That may be a good reason MBAs won't see TB just yet.

Apple will squeeze the TB chip in, somehow. The 320M won't be on the board any more, which will free up some space (although not as much as you'd think, as Hellhammer points out), which along with juggling other components will be enough.

It just doesn't make any sense for Apple to not put their shiny new tech on the MBA.

Roller
Jun 25, 2011, 02:04 PM
Apple will squeeze the TB chip in, somehow. The 320M won't be on the board any more, which will free up some space (although not as much as you'd think, as Hellhammer points out), which along with juggling other components will be enough.

It just doesn't make any sense for Apple to not put their shiny new tech on the MBA.

Since when does Apple do things because they make sense? :)

Seriously, I hope that TB is there, but will probably buy one even if it's not. The MacBook it's going to be replacing doesn't have a FW port, and I haven't missed it as much as I thought I would.

Crunch
Jun 26, 2011, 03:55 AM
Can Intel HD 3000 graphics w/ 384MB of VRAM run the 27" Cinema Display w/ 2560x1440 resolution? I don't think so and there is a miniDP port for exactly that purpose.

I also have something on my wish list and that's an option for more than 4GB of RAM. Even 6GB would make a huge difference for me personally, but 8GB would be ideal. Then again, I doubt this will happen and if for no other reason than the fact that even the highest end MBP's are still limited to 8GB. I can dream, though. :D

peskaa
Jun 26, 2011, 04:04 AM
Can Intel HD 3000 graphics w/ 384MB of VRAM run the 27" Cinema Display w/ 2560x1440 resolution? I don't think so and there is a miniDP port for exactly that purpose.

I also have something on my wish list and that's an option for more than 4GB of RAM. Even 6GB would make a huge difference for me personally, but 8GB would be ideal. Then again, I doubt this will happen and if for no other reason than the fact that even the highest end MBP's are still limited to 8GB. I can dream, though. :D

The HD 3000 can certainly drive the 27" display, if you're only doing 2D tasks in OS X (watching videos, browsing the net etc). It certainly won't be able to play games on the screen.

Crunch
Jun 26, 2011, 05:03 AM
The HD 3000 can certainly drive the 27" display, if you're only doing 2D tasks in OS X (watching videos, browsing the net etc). It certainly won't be able to play games on the screen.

Oh really? Well, I stand corrected then. And no, I wouldn't be needing anything like gaming support or the ability to run other graphics-intensive applications.

Having said that, wouldn't it be a step down from the dedicated graphics card in the current MacBook Air, even though we'd be getting 384MB of video RAM vs. the 256MB as part of the NVIDIA card that's in the current machines. I have to admit, though, that I may not be comparing :apple:'s to :apple:'s and that the 128MB difference is either negligible or just a plain invalid comparison due to other factors?

krimp
Jun 26, 2011, 05:53 AM
Oh really? Well, I stand corrected then. And no, I wouldn't be needing anything like gaming support or the ability to run other graphics-intensive applications.

Having said that, wouldn't it be a step down from the dedicated graphics card in the current MacBook Air, even though we'd be getting 384MB of video RAM vs. the 256MB as part of the NVIDIA card that's in the current machines. I have to admit, though, that I may not be comparing :apple:'s to :apple:'s and that the 128MB difference is either negligible or just a plain invalid comparison due to other factors?

im looking to buy my first mac an the MBA 13 is what i like, i will only really use for work with spread sheets, word files surfing the net etc. occasionally connect to the tv to watch an online movie. my question is would i be better off buying now to get nvidia graphics or wait for the new one. i was intending to buy with upgraded to 4 g ram and iworks as im sick to death of pc's.

peskaa
Jun 26, 2011, 05:57 AM

I think you're in the right direction in regards to the RAM being largely irrelevant - GPUs are much more about the number of computing cores/architecture/clock frequency and so forth than available VRAM. Until Apple tell us what CPU (and hence model of HD 3000) they're using, we're very much in the dark as to the performance versus the 320M.

Estimates are ranging from anywhere between no performance penalty to up to 50%. My bet is more around the 10% region however, with the increases in CPU (which are going to be 50-100%) making up for the difference to an extent.

The 320M, by the way, isn't dedicated either. It's an integrated chip, same as the HD 3000, except the HD 3000 is embedded on the CPU.

If you're using OS X, not bothered about games, then the HD 3000 will be perfect. Gaming performance is a wait and see.

im looking to buy my first mac an the MBA 13 is what i like, i will only really use for work with spread sheets, word files surfing the net etc. occasionally connect to the tv to watch an online movie. my question is would i be better off buying now to get nvidia graphics or wait for the new one. i was intending to buy with upgraded to 4 g ram and iworks as im sick to death of pc's.

Wait. For your uses a HD 300 is perfectly fine, and you'll get a far better CPU and possibly 4GB of RAM as standard (ie: no need to pay the upgrade cost). Fingers crossed it should be out in the next few weeks.

KnightWRX
Jun 26, 2011, 08:07 AM
The 320M won't be on the board any more, which will free up some space (although not as much as you'd think, as Hellhammer points out),

HellHammer pointed out that the 320M going away does not free any space at all. Right now, C2D+320M is a 2 chip solution. Sandy Bridge is also a 2 chip solution. TB makes it 3 chip, seeing how big the controller is for that thing.

Basically, they'll really need to "squeeze" stuff in there.

peskaa
Jun 26, 2011, 01:17 PM
HellHammer pointed out that the 320M going away does not free any space at all. Right now, C2D+320M is a 2 chip solution. Sandy Bridge is also a 2 chip solution. TB makes it 3 chip, seeing how big the controller is for that thing.

Basically, they'll really need to "squeeze" stuff in there.

SB is indeed two chip, but the second SB chip is smaller than the 320M, so it frees up some space. Of course, until we see the logic board of the new MBA, this is all conjecture.

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/POxSYUGpXHwopXCQ.huge - the orange chip is the 320M.
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/QWKKPpAh4AHJm1bf.huge - blue is TB, red is controller.

TB is clearly smaller than the CPU, at roughly the width of a USB port. I can see some clear space on the MBA board, that if the board is redesigned it should fit. Certainly not as packed as the MBP board.

Dark Void
Jun 26, 2011, 02:27 PM
although i won't be getting one, i am looking forward to seeing what is actually put out instead of rumors and see how well they sell.

Hellhammer
Jun 26, 2011, 03:00 PM
SB is indeed two chip, but the second SB chip is smaller than the 320M, so it frees up some space. Of course, until we see the logic board of the new MBA, this is all conjecture.

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/POxSYUGpXHwopXCQ.huge - the orange chip is the 320M.
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/QWKKPpAh4AHJm1bf.huge - blue is TB, red is controller.

TB is clearly smaller than the CPU, at roughly the width of a USB port. I can see some clear space on the MBA board, that if the board is redesigned it should fit. Certainly not as packed as the MBP board.

Lets put down some numbers of the package sizes:

U/LV Core 2 Duo: 22mm x 22mm = 484mm^2
320M: No official package size. However, the teardown (http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/POxSYUGpXHwopXCQ.huge) gives us a good comparison of those two chips and their size. With my poor Photoshop skills, I was able to come up with a solution that 320M has roughly 28% bigger package size than the CPU, making its package size roughly 620mm^2

U/LV Sandy Bridge: 31mm x 24mm = 744mm^2
HM65 chipset: 25mm x 25mm = 625mm^2
Thunderbolt: Again, no official data but the chips appears to be about one third (33%) of the PCH so that would make its package size 206mm^2

C2D total: 1104mm^2
SB total: 1575mm^2 (43% bigger)

I emphasize that these are just rough comparisons because iFixit's pics aren't the best (the annoying color things make this a bit inaccurate). However, it looks like SB with TB will take more space but I don't think that will stop Apple from putting them in MBA.

MrNomNoms
Jun 26, 2011, 05:30 PM

I'd wait for a refresh as others have suggested; the HD 3000 would do the job without any problems, OpenCL sits on AVX which benchmarks have already shown to beat the previous generation of GPU's, and for everything else I'd say the bigger bottleneck will be the CPU rather than the GPU.

What I would wait for is Lion to also be released so then you're also getting a good insight as to the quality of the drivers - my experience so far with the Lion drivers (as so far as the quality of the ATI) in the DP builds has shown a decent sized jump in performance. What one observes with the current generation of Intel drivers might not necessarily carry through to Lion - especially given that these drivers are written to take into account OpenGL 3.x and future iterations.

Wormald
Jun 26, 2011, 09:47 PM
Seriously, I hope that TB is there, but will probably buy one even if it's not. The MacBook it's going to be replacing doesn't have a FW port, and I haven't missed it as much as I thought I would.

Thunderbolt ports are replacing, and are the same shape and size as, the mini-display port, which the 11 and 13 inch Airs already have. TB is like some sort of video-out on crack. So comparing it to Firewire isn't the full story.

It would be great to be able to plug in just a Thunderbolt lead and power lead when sitting at a desk, and have the monitor and USB devices connecting through some sort of external Thunderbolt 'hub'.

All I want is an 11" MBA with 256 GB SSD as an option! I'm not asking for it as standard config. I just want the option (since I'd pay for this option).

This is my biggest hope. Sandy Bridge is a given, but doubling the 128GB SSD in the 11 inch to 256GB would make a world of difference.

It would be a pleasant surprise, but since it's just a spec-upgrade, and not a form-factor redesign, it seems doubtful.

I just can't see Apple magically finding loads more room for SSD chips in that svelte little enclosure - or using more expensive SSD chips with twice the storage density, if such things exist.

peskaa
Jun 27, 2011, 02:55 AM
Lets put down some numbers of the package sizes:

U/LV Core 2 Duo: 22mm x 22mm = 484mm^2
320M: No official package size. However, the teardown (http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/POxSYUGpXHwopXCQ.huge) gives us a good comparison of those two chips and their size. With my poor Photoshop skills, I was able to come up with a solution that 320M has roughly 28% bigger package size than the CPU, making its package size roughly 620mm^2

U/LV Sandy Bridge: 31mm x 24mm = 744mm^2
HM65 chipset: 25mm x 25mm = 625mm^2
Thunderbolt: Again, no official data but the chips appears to be about one third (33%) of the PCH so that would make its package size 206mm^2

C2D total: 1104mm^2
SB total: 1575mm^2 (43% bigger)

I emphasize that these are just rough comparisons because iFixit's pics aren't the best (the annoying color things make this a bit inaccurate). However, it looks like SB with TB will take more space but I don't think that will stop Apple from putting them in MBA.

Owch, the SB CPUs are honking huge compared to C2D - odd, as my desktop 2500K is no bigger than the previous 1156 socket arrangement, although the mobile chips lack lids.

insider-man
Jul 21, 2011, 08:13 AM
Just a bump to say - I told you so.

I supposed you wouldn't be interested in the 2 new iPhones currently in development and . . . . . . oh hold on a minute . . . . . my posts just get negative feedback so obviously y'all wouldn't be interested

:rolleyes: