PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Player Crashing 9.2.2

In-Correct
Jun 23, 2011, 10:27 PM
This is not an ipod. I bought an mp3 player that claims it can work on any computer that can mount USB sticks. Mac OS 9.2.2 can.

It mounted the MP3 player successfully. I installed songs on it, and the mp3 player can play them. About 30 hours later, the MP3 player crashes 9.2.2

I pressed the Reset button on the mp3 player which I guess is more like a PMU reset or something like that...it did not reformat it.

Does Mac OS 9.2.2 not work well when there are hundreds of songs in the Music folder of a mp3 player?

It used to not crash until there were hundreds of songs on it, and now the mp3 crashes Mac OS 9.2.2 whenever I connect it. The Finder is in the middle of Crashing and restarting... The mouse is moveable. the desktop icons go away and Finder does not restart. Command Option Escape only displays an empty white box.

Other USB devices still work fine.

In-Correct
Jun 23, 2011, 11:18 PM
I am going to let you know about something that is happening. I am not sure what caused this...perhaps pressing the reset button more... but there are different folders there now. There is a Desktop Folder, and inside the desktop folder, there are lots and lots of desktop folders. I clicked on it from list view...and the arrow toggled a bunch of desktop folders...it expanded all of them at the same time... and then

finder is no longer in the middle of crashing, instead, there is a moveable, but unclickable watch. Command Option Escape brings up the same empty white box.

I end up having to restart again.

I am trying to connect the thing to Mac OS X.

The folders in the MP3 Player appear as they are supposed to, but I don't know what this Desktop folder, the volume settings folder, and FINDER.DAT are. :eek:

Are these corrupted, and should I try to delete them???? Will Mac OS 9 recreate new files????

Is this similar to rebuilding the desktop file????

Is there a way to rebuild the desktop file on Mac OS 9.2.2 for the MP3 player???? Will Rebuilding The Desktop File affect the MP3 Player??????????

How do I rebuild the desktop file????????????? :confused: I am going to research it.

reddrag0n
Jun 24, 2011, 12:39 AM
What is a finder.dat file???

To copy a macintosh file into MS-DOS disk and back without loosing anything, the system creates in each folder two hidden items, a file named "finder.dat" and a subfolder named "resource.frk".
The data fork is stored in the normal folder, under the main name of the file.The resource fork is stored in the resource folder under a truncated name.

Rebuild the Desktop manually by:

Holding down the Option and Command (Apple) keys while the system is starting up.
When you see the message Are you sure you want to rebuild the desktop file on the disk "your disk"? Comments in info windows will be lost, select OK. (MacOS 7.6 and higher will preserve comments.)

In-Correct
Jun 24, 2011, 12:47 AM
I deleted all the FINDER.DAT in every folder, and lots of other things that don't appear in the Mac OS 9.2.2 Finder, but appear elsewhere.

I rebuilt the desktop file...for the internal hard drive.

I figured it out....after the "Welcome To Mac OS" splash screen shows up, and then goes away...I have to press Command and Option.

It says, "Are you sure you want to rebuild the desktop file for Macintosh HD?"

But nothing worked.

There were the regular seven folders that appeared. but then for some reason, all the other folders jumped into the "NOTEPAD" Folder, and so there was only the "NOTEPAD" and "MUSIC" Folder.... the "NOTEPAD" Folder kept changing names for a few seconds, and then it went back to "NOTEPAD" and stayed at that name. I did not click on anything. I immediately ejected it. And then I put it back in. And then ejected it again. :confused: :confused: it did not freeze up the computer. but that folder problem was scary looking.

After viewing the "Problems Solutions" document, it says that .... it can be reformatted. So I did. The folders all went away, but upon ejecting it, the Mp3 player put them back. They are staying put like they should, and they aren't jumping into any other folder or anything like that. :rolleyes: Reformatting the mp3 player did not erase the operating system on it. Despite appearing to be a USB Stick and functioning like a USB stick. (I should have noticed that earlier today when I read "The device for the disk 'Untitled" has been unexpectedly....") instead of "The Disk..."

I reformatted it. It did not erase the operating system of the mp3 player, but it did erase the help documents!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I will have to contact the manufacturers so they can email me replacement documents.

I am frusterated that I am copying the music all over again. So far it is very stable. But this time I am going to sit here, and not leave it unattended. Sometimes the mp3 player appears to eject by itself. No other volumes or devices do this. Also, error messages come up "The item cannot be copied, because it already exists. Do you want to continue?" But it coudn't be already on there, because I reformatted it!!!!

Could these specific mp3 files be corrupting things?

I guess I figured it out so far.

In-Correct
Jun 24, 2011, 12:52 AM
What is a finder.dat file???

To copy a macintosh file into MS-DOS disk and back without loosing anything, the system creates in each folder two hidden items, a file named "finder.dat" and a subfolder named "resource.frk".
The data fork is stored in the normal folder, under the main name of the file.The resource fork is stored in the resource folder under a truncated name.

Rebuild the Desktop manually by:

Holding down the Option and Command (Apple) keys while the system is starting up.
When you see the message Are you sure you want to rebuild the desktop file on the disk "your disk"? Comments in info windows will be lost, select OK. (MacOS 7.6 and higher will preserve comments.)

Oh a response!! :D I almost did not notice.
yes resource.frk folder was one of them....
I thought the mp3 player created it lol. I don't know...perhaps something got corrupted in that folder.

reddrag0n
Jun 24, 2011, 12:57 AM
As for the desktop rebuild, right after the bong, press the keys. just like if you were to reset the PRam or go into the Open Firmware option. Press those keys at that time before you see anything on the screen.

As for the files, here is just a hunch...

Are any of the file names longer than 32 characters? if so, try renaming them so that they are 32 or less.

aka "Here is the wind in my hair - this is a very long band name"

to "Here is the wind - band name"

That may or may not help out with the file issues that you may be experiencing.