Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrs123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
I got my 13" Aluminum Macbook early 2009 and it's been working fine since I got it, It gets used lots and is taken regularly to uni.

Recently, we started getting problems with the internet at our flat, it would work fine and then randomly and sporadically the internet just wouldn't work, sometimes just turning the wireless modem on and off would work and sometimes we would call our provider, they have said there is nothing wrong with our connection and the modem seems fine and it must be my computer. We managed to get it working fine on the ethernet cable and it doesn't drop the connection then, but now I can connect to the wireless modem but there is no internet. It says its connected but there's no IP address. We tried settign it manually but it still doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

rkmac

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
JAFA, New Zealand
I got my 13" Aluminum Macbook early 2009 and it's been working fine since I got it, It gets used lots and is taken regularly to uni.

Recently, we started getting problems with the internet at our flat, it would work fine and then randomly and sporadically the internet just wouldn't work, sometimes just turning the wireless modem on and off would work and sometimes we would call our provider, they have said there is nothing wrong with our connection and the modem seems fine and it must be my computer. We managed to get it working fine on the ethernet cable and it doesn't drop the connection then, but now I can connect to the wireless modem but there is no internet. It says its connected but there's no IP address. We tried settign it manually but it still doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Is it only your laptop which has issues connecting? It seems like an issue with the router and not your laptop. Can you connect to networks other than the one at your flat? What signal strength are you getting (how many bars are showing on the wireless icon at the top left when you actually ARE connected?).

mrs123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
Is it only your laptop which has issues connecting? It seems like an issue with the router and not your laptop. Can you connect to networks other than the one at your flat? What signal strength are you getting (how many bars are showing on the wireless icon at the top left when you actually ARE connected?).

when my laptop doesn't work, soon after the other one in the house doesn't, and then neither does the desktop thats connected by ethernet. It works fine everywhere else i go with it and I get full signal throughout the house.

rkmac

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
JAFA, New Zealand
when my laptop doesn't work, soon after the other one in the house doesn't, and then neither does the desktop thats connected by ethernet. It works fine everywhere else i go with it and I get full signal throughout the house.

DEFINITELY a problem with the modem/router if they are all disconnecting at around the same time. Contact your ISP with this info and see if you can get a free router/modem out of them. I know Telecom gives them away free if they are feeling nice.

mrs123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
DEFINITELY a problem with the modem/router if they are all disconnecting at around the same time. Contact your ISP with this info and see if you can get a free router/modem out of them. I know Telecom gives them away free if they are feeling nice.

K well now my computer just recognises that there is a wireless network, but there's no internet, but my flatmates wireless is working fine, and i can use an ethernet cable to get the internet, I called the provider to try and sort it out, but they don't know what to do other than call apple support, but that's too pricey for a student. They gave me the modems support centre number, would it be useful to call them or will they just tell me the same, that it's a computer issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.