PDA

View Full Version : Can I re-use my copy of Windows 7?

Yumunum
Jun 24, 2011, 03:07 AM
On my last Mac, I got a copy of Windows 7 and installed it with Bootcamp. I later removed that partition. If I remember right, I did it with Bootcamp assistant. I no longer have that computer and I'm going to be buying a MacBook Air soon. I want to re-install Windows on the new computer, but I'm not sure if my license is "used up" from that last computer. I also don't know if there was a way I could've removed my license from the last computer's Windows 7 before reformatting. I did no preparation whatsoever for the reformat, I just went to Bootcamp Assistant and clicked whatever the erase option was. Anyone knowledgable with this? Is my Windows 7 disc now useless?

itickings
Jun 24, 2011, 04:32 AM
That would depend on what type of license it is. OEM? Retail? Other?

If it is an OEM license, it is technically used up and tied to the other computer, while a retail license wouldn't be.

balamw
Jun 24, 2011, 05:23 AM
If it is an OEM license, it is technically used up and tied to the other computer, while a retail license wouldn't be.

In practice, Microsoft will often still let you re-install OEM on a different machine, but you will have to call them and activate by phone.

Transfer to another machine is definitely not a right established by the EULA, so they could say no.

So Yumunum, just try it.

B

Yumunum
Jun 24, 2011, 12:23 PM
In practice, Microsoft will often still let you re-install OEM on a different machine, but you will have to call them and activate by phone.

Transfer to another machine is definitely not a right established by the EULA, so they could say no.

So Yumunum, just try it.

B

Well I purchased this from Microsoft... I didn't get it with a Windows computer or anything. So is that what you'd call "retail"? I'll try it when I get the MBA. I just wish I knew if it'd work for sure :S

maflynn
Jun 24, 2011, 12:51 PM
If you purchased and it did not say OEM on the box. Its the retail version and it will work fine. If the online validation fails just give them a ring and they'll provide you with a number that will work

Yumunum
Jun 24, 2011, 12:59 PM
If you purchased and it did not say OEM on the box. Its the retail version and it will work fine. If the online validation fails just give them a ring and they'll provide you with a number that will work

Coolio. Thanks for the replies everyone!

balamw
Jun 24, 2011, 03:54 PM
Coolio. Thanks for the replies everyone!

For what it is worth, some OEM packages, are labeled as "System Builder Edition" and don't say OEM anywhere.

B