PDA

View Full Version : New iPod Touch Coming Later This Year as a Minor Update?

MacRumors
Jun 24, 2011, 08:38 AM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/24/new-ipod-touch-coming-later-this-year-as-a-minor-update/)

Earlier this month, new references to unreleased iPad models (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/07/ios-5-contains-references-to-two-next-generation-ipad-models/) were discovered in iOS 5, but the lack of any mention of unreleased iPod touch models led to some concern that Apple might not be planning an update to the popular line this year.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/ipod42_plist.jpg

But a bit more digging by iFans (http://www.ifans.com/blog/24843/) has in fact turned up a reference (http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346093) to an unreleased iPod touch model designated as "iPod4,2". The current iPod touch is designated "iPod4,1".Up until now, only mentions of "iPod4,1", the current iPod touch model, have been discovered in iOS 5 property lists. However, some snooping by iFans forum user shamrock has indeed yielded mention of an unreleased iPod touch model: "iPod4,2" in the file /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.fairplayd.N81.plistWhat's more interesting is the use of the "iPod4,2" reference instead of "iPod5,1", suggesting that Apple considers the new model to only be a minor update to the existing iPod touch. Apple briefly used this naming convention once before in its iPod touch line when an "iPod2,2" reference (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/03/19/iphone-os-3-0-beta-references-four-unknown-products/) showed up in iOS 3.0 betas in early 2009. No such product was ever released, however, as all of the third-generation iPod touch models released later that year carried the "iPod3,1" designation, which had also been found in the iOS 3.0 code. Consequently, it is possible that Apple could still have an "iPod5,1" in the works as the next update, but no signs of such of a device have yet been found in iOS 5.

To find an instance of Apple actually shipping an "X,2" product as a minor update, we can turn to the iPhone where Apple dubbed the iPhone 3G as "iPhone1,2", considering it a minor update update over the original iPhone despite a redesigned case and new 3G compatibility, among other changes. The iPhone 3GS released the following year interestingly warranted a major new "iPhone2,1" designation despite a nearly identical external appearance to the iPhone 3G, although the device's internals were significantly upgraded.

Article Link: New iPod Touch Coming Later This Year as a Minor Update? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/24/new-ipod-touch-coming-later-this-year-as-a-minor-update/)

Menopause
Jun 24, 2011, 08:44 AM
Cannot think of anything more they can do to that thing ! Would be interesting to see if there's any change in form factor.

Meandmunch
Jun 24, 2011, 08:44 AM
When is a chip like the A5 simply to much power for an iPod. NEVER! Ha, ha!

My iPod wish list: THINNER! Kidding, that thin is so thin already it's silly.

But seriously between my iPad and iPhone, my iPod is kind of falling off my radar. I wonder if this is a common thing happening across the Apple customer base.

ftaok
Jun 24, 2011, 08:45 AM
Would the dual-core A5 and better camera specs be considered a "minor" update? Hmm. Hope so.

basesloaded190
Jun 24, 2011, 08:48 AM
I have to imagine between the Iphone and Ipad, the Ipod will soon fall off the map and no longer be needed. This won't happen any time soon, but it's possible in the future

ESPN
Jun 24, 2011, 08:49 AM
A5 Processor
RAM upgrade
5MP camera

I think this would be a minor update,

a major one would be

128GB
A5 processor
5MP camera with LED flash
RAM upgrade
Magnetometer
IPS display
1MP front facing camera

RoboCop001
Jun 24, 2011, 08:51 AM
I think they bump up the major revision number if the processor gets upgraded?

So 4,2 would mean it's still an A4?

But it wouldn't make sense upgrading everything else to an A5 and not the iPod touch.

KnightWRX
Jun 24, 2011, 08:52 AM
A5 Processor
RAM upgrade
5MP camera

Yet a Mac that gains a Sandy Bridge processor and useless interconnect is a "major" upgrade. :rolleyes:

Face it guys, the A5 processor on its own is a major upgrade, especially for a device like the iPod Touch which is quickly becoming a big player in portable gaming.

It means nothing. The original iPhone was 1,0 and the iPhone 3G was 1,1. Did anyone think of the iPhone 3G as a "minor" upgrade ? The 3GS had 2,1, yet everyone here berates it as a "minor" upgrade (even though it was a huge upgrade from the 3G). These numbers mean squat.

baleensavage
Jun 24, 2011, 08:53 AM
As long as they update the camera, then I'm game. I'd prefer to see a new form factor like the iPhone and a better processor, but if they don't put a decent rear-facing camera in there, the update will be a waste.

ESPN
Jun 24, 2011, 08:56 AM
I think they bump up the major revision number if the processor gets upgraded?

But it wouldn't make sense upgrading everything else to an A5 and not the iPod touch.

Yet a Mac that gains a Sandy Bridge processor and useless interconnect is a "major" upgrade. :rolleyes:

Face it guys, the A5 processor on its own is a major upgrade, especially for a device like the iPod Touch which is quickly becoming a big player in portable gaming.

It means nothing. The original iPhone was 1,0 and the iPhone 3G was 1,1. Did anyone think of the iPhone 3G as a "minor" upgrade ? The 3GS had 2,1, yet everyone here berates it as a "minor" upgrade (even though it was a huge upgrade from the 3G). These numbers mean squat.

Apple has said they want to enter in to the gaming department, to compete with nintendo and sony, they surely would have to put in the A5 chip. And I really doubt they would give ipad the A5 but not the ipod touch. The touch still outnumbers the iPad in a 5-3 ratio. No sense in Apple not to upgrade a popular device.

d0minick
Jun 24, 2011, 08:59 AM

But seriously between my iPad and iPhone, my iPod is kind of falling off my radar. I wonder if this is a common thing happening across the Apple customer base.

Just cannot find a reason for a itouch if you have an iphone. UNLESS you have like a huge amount of music you need to store.

puffnstuff
Cannot think of anything more they can do to that thing ! Would be interesting to see if there's any change in form factor.

Bigger screen
Better camera
3G

That's all I can think of

randomrazr
well of course its only be a minor update

apple already redesigned it once.

you cant "always" re desgin a device every year. everytime you do that the entire manufacturing process has to change which is also costly.

codyc815
Jun 24, 2011, 09:01 AM
This could be why the back to school promo was a giftcard instead of an iPod, if there's no major update they don't really have a reason to get rid of their supply.

Diode
Jun 24, 2011, 09:01 AM
Maybe the radically resigned case rumors floating around could be for the iPods - to make them look more like thinner iPhones 4's? Just a thought.....

RawBert
Jun 24, 2011, 09:03 AM
Bring on the white iPod with a decent camera. :) I have an iPod T2 currently and want to upgrade.

Thunderhawks
Jun 24, 2011, 09:05 AM

Yes, iphone should have been billed as the ipod killer:-)
Not using mine ever since the iphone came out.

Some limitations as you can't get all of your library on, but not often. So, it' s tolerable.

Just need more GB in the iphones 128 would be great.

On the other hand icloud will make ipods even more unnecessary IMO.

KnightWRX
Jun 24, 2011, 09:09 AM
Just cannot find a reason for a itouch if you have an iphone.

Wait, when did the iPhone replace a wireless keyboard made by Logitech ? :confused:

This could be why the back to school promo was a giftcard instead of an iPod, if there's no major update they don't really have a reason to get rid of their supply.

No, the BTS promo was a gift card because the Mac App Store doesn't seem to be doing as well as Apple hoped. It's also why Lion is going to be a MAS exclusive.

If the MAS was doing well, they would have flaunted the numbers during the WWDC keynote, like they did with the iOS App Store.

That's my take on it at least.

regandarcy
Jun 24, 2011, 09:11 AM
I concur. BETTER CAMERA number one. A5 chip would also be sweet. Other than that? Its hard to think of anything. Thinner? Ha! Any thinner, and it'd cut your hand.

Speaking of cutting...I know some mentioned that the iphone and ipad must be cutting into the ipod touches usefulness....but I am one of those who dont have or want an iphone. I travel ALOT, and just dont want to be locked into no contract. Lol.

So the ipod touch is still relevant to me. Was hoping the Student special still included a free ipod since i am also planning on buying a new Mac...but thats not the case anymore. You get a $100 gift card now.

I will wait tho until the ipod touch is updated before i nab one. The camera on the current one is just decent. Could and should be ALOT better. If sales of the touch are dropping off due to the iphone and ipad,
there is NO reason in my mind why they shouldn't plop in a better quality camera.

Guess we will find out soon? Heh heh heh :-P

Lesser Evets
Jun 24, 2011, 09:12 AM
NO

DUH

Cannot think of anything more they can do to that thing !

You... you can't be serious. The camera on the back is pathetic. The processor can be A5'd. More memory? That's just the most blatant and obvious changes, which are minor in terms of engineering, aside from the processor I mean. But, these are the logical and blatant improvements possible.

Apple doesn't need to change the form. It's fine as is. Just give us more video/picture ability and I'll be happy; I plan to buy one in September if the camera is better.

ESPN
Jun 24, 2011, 09:13 AM
Just cannot find a reason for a itouch if you have an iphone. UNLESS you have like a huge amount of music you need to store.

Most people do not have an iphone. An ipod touch to complement their regular phone is why most people have an ipod touch. An ipod touch gives the feeling of an iPhone without the bloated data/talk contract for two years.

The ipod touch is not going down the drain. When the baseless hype surrounding iPad subsides and people finally realizes that it is an overpriced mobile operating system, laptops will prevail and so will ipod touches.

cvaldes
Jun 24, 2011, 09:18 AM
You don't get it.

The iPod touch and iPhone have different demographics. The iPod touch is mostly used by 13-24 year old consumers. The iPhone is mostly used by the 25-55 year old age group. Kids can't afford to shell out for cellular plans; you really need a job.

Steve himself said that the iPod touch was training wheels for the iPhone.

The iPod touch is not going away; it is now the top selling iPod. Apple sells two iPod touches for every three iPhones. Apple is building the next generation of iPhone owners by selling iPod touches.

firewood
Jun 24, 2011, 09:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Changes to the CPU arch, max RAM, max pixels, max sample rate or max CPU clock rate have all been major numbers, as these are visible to disconnected apps. Changes to the networks available have been minor number changes.

diamond.g
Jun 24, 2011, 09:25 AM
Um the iPhone was called iPhone1,1. The 3G was iPhone1,2. Supposedly the only major change was the case design. Which is what people have began to associate with "major changes".

sittnick
Jun 24, 2011, 09:25 AM
I purchased the iPod Touch 2G when it came out because it DIDN'T have a phone. At the time, I didn't even own a cell phone. I now have a "dumb" cell phone because I have a 90 mile commute, but I use it maybe 1% of the time and use prepay.

I love the fact that I can browse my contact list on my iPod Touch while talking on the Cell. I couldn't do that if an iPhone unless I used a headset/earpiece.

Besides people like me who don't really want my portable browser/video player/MP3 player as a phone, there are still plenty of folks who don't want a phone contract, or are on incompatible carriers. $200 or so gets you into the game... that's doable.

The iPod Touch also provides a nice intro to iOS that the other iPods dont. If I were to get a Smartphone with a contract, it would be an iPhone. I might not have been able to say that if I hadn't had an ioverall positive experience with the Touch.

M-O
Jun 24, 2011, 09:28 AM
A5 Processor
RAM upgrade
5MP camera

I think an upgrade to the A5 would be considered major. Now, a better camera... i would consider minor.

All it really needs is a better camera. I think the A4 could hold up for another generation. (priced accordingly of course).

alexexexex
Jun 24, 2011, 09:30 AM
the baseless hype surrounding iPad

really? this again?

its not baseless, people enjoy using them, the form factor is brilliant and they run thousands of apps to add more funtionality.

i'm not going to suddenly "snap out of it"

its light and easy to carry around, its great in the kitchen (music, recipies) its great in bed (movies, tv, reading, etc) and also on the loo!

Is any of that going to change? no
am i suddenly going to want to lug my MBP everywhere? no

the naysayers lost, move on.

PJMAN2952
Jun 24, 2011, 09:31 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So I an planning on getting a new iPod Touch now or wait for September? The iPod touch just needs a better camera and A5 chip. The design is perfect and a bigger screen would be great. Let the rumors begin!

M-O
Jun 24, 2011, 09:34 AM

Seriously, why does this clown use both?

KnightWRX
Jun 24, 2011, 09:35 AM
its light and easy to carry around, its great in the kitchen (music, recipies) its great in bed (movies, tv, reading, etc) and also on the loo!

Sounds like my MBA... Except I can add the following :

It's great to type stuff on.

iPad sucks as an input device on the go. iPhone + MBA = Ultimate combo.

fungus
Jun 24, 2011, 09:36 AM
To find an instance of Apple actually shipping an "X,2" product as a minor update, we can turn to the iPhone where Apple dubbed the iPhone 3G as "iPhone1,2", considering it a minor update update over the original iPhone despite a redesigned case and new 3G compatibility, among other changes. The iPhone 3GS released the following year interestingly warranted a major new "iPhone2,1" designation despite a nearly identical external appearance to the iPhone 3G, although the device's internals were significantly upgraded.

So in other words, Apple's naming convention for device updates doesn't necessarily indicate anything about the nature of the update.

KnightWRX
Jun 24, 2011, 09:38 AM
So in other words, Apple's naming convention for device updates doesn't necessarily indicate anything about the nature of the update.

Exactly, these numbers are pure garbage. Model identifiers for some obscure code reason, nothing to fret about and certainly nothing indicative of specs of announced products.

Heck, sometimes these numbers turn out to not even relate to a released product at all, they just "exist" in the plist.

Small White Car
Jun 24, 2011, 09:39 AM

Uh, yeah. It was minor. The iPhone 3G got a 3G radio and GPS. That's pretty much it. The 3GS, however, was a much more major update.

All you've proven here is that Apple's numbers DO make sense.

KnightWRX
Jun 24, 2011, 09:44 AM
Uh, yeah. It was minor. The iPhone 3G got a 3G radio and GPS. That's pretty much it. The 3GS, however, was a much more major update.

The iPhone 3G also got a case revamp, if not in actual shape, in looks.

All you've proven here is that Apple's numbers DO make sense.

Then you're saying the Macrumors crowd makes no sense ? Because they keep harping on and on about how the iPhone 3G was this big major upgrade and the iPhone 3GS was just a 3G with a minor speed bump. :rolleyes:

I'm just going with the flow here.

I guess I'm going against the grain here, but it's simple : All iPhone revisions were major.

Small White Car
Jun 24, 2011, 09:46 AM
Then you're saying the Macrumors crowd makes no sense ?

Does it even need to be said? :o

paul4339
Jun 24, 2011, 09:48 AM
needs a GPS chip.

ESPN
Jun 24, 2011, 09:49 AM
really? this again?

its not baseless, people enjoy using them, the form factor is brilliant and they run thousands of apps to add more funtionality.

Upwards of 500 bucks for a device that does what?

Internet
Watch Movies
Books

All of this can be done on an iPod touch or a netbook, lower end laptop which would run around 300$.

When you come back to reality, you will realize the truth but its fine that you are living in your own fantasy world. Its when you finally snap out of it and you subject yourself to the truth that will hurt.

Seriously, why does this clown use both?

Agreed.

BostonBrawler
Jun 24, 2011, 09:49 AM

It is for me. I got the iPhone 4 due to having the ability to have itunes and phone/text on the same device. Comes in handy at the gym and what-not.

My iTouch is now dedicated to simply sitting in my car's iPod connection. A new iPod wouldn't mean much to me at all. In fact, I don't know that the need would arise to even have another one.

Small White Car
Jun 24, 2011, 09:50 AM
needs a GPS chip.

Needs a 3G chip for data, like the iPad.

The carriers won't allow it, though. It'd kill their iPhone voice plans in a way the iPad never will.

KnightWRX
Jun 24, 2011, 09:56 AM
Does it even need to be said? :o

I'll drink to that. ;)

Biolizard
Jun 24, 2011, 09:57 AM

An MBA costs double an iPad, and yet is not an MBP replacement.

The iPad sits nicely between the iPhone and the Mac for people who need it. An MBA as a 'third device' is overkill.

KnightWRX
Jun 24, 2011, 09:57 AM
My iTouch is now dedicated to simply sitting in my car's iPod connection.

How did you manage to connect a wireless keyboard made by Logitech to your car's iPod connection ? That sounds like it would be actually great.:eek:

With all the people talking about their iTouch, it seems that keyboard sold really well.

Funny, it replaced my Macbook Unibody with no sweat. Cost double an iPad ? Not after you factor in the iPad needs to be tetherred to an actual device. Something Apple is desperately trying to fix.

The iPad sits nicely between the iPhone and the Mac for people who need it. An MBA as a 'third device' is overkill.

The iPad is a compromise for both the iPhone and the Mac. It's bigger than an iPhone and less portable, it's less powerful and convenient than a Mac.

Again : MBA + iPhone, ultimate combo. All the portability, all the versatility, no compromise. For people like me who can use the MBA as a main computer (and there's tons of us, a lot of people grossly over-estimate their computing needs), it's just more perfect than an iPad.

Solowalker
Jun 24, 2011, 10:06 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

The model identifiers indicate major processor/architecture/chipset changes almost exclusively. Original iPhone and the 3G had the same processor and chipset (GPS and 3G radio were ancillary to that).

As mentioned, the new Sandy Bridge iMacs got a major number bump. Sandy Bridge = new processor architecture, not just a speed bump of the same architecture. If Apple had kept the same architecture and just changed the casing, they could have just used a minor number bump.

iPod touch has not yet had an update that didn't include a major processor upgrade (2nd gen was faster an had better graphics than the iPhone 3G which I think helped spurr it's popularity). Hence no x,2 model.

A4 to A5 is a new architecture and therefore would warrant a major number bump. Maybe Apple is toying with just using a speedier A4 to increase battery life rather than keeping battery life and upping to A5? Who knows?

As for the $100 gift card student deal,
I think that might be because they will be releasing new iPods during the deal. Apple has always been careful to end the deal before releasing new iPods so the new models sell and aren't given away. August release would be considered early. It would be horrible to release new iPods in the middle of the deal and say "Sorry, you can only get the outdated model." That and they want to advertise the Mac App Store and help get it off the ground. I hate the deal this year, but there's no other explanation.

Bubba Satori
Jun 24, 2011, 10:07 AM

Steve wants you to buy all of them and get new ones
every 18months by bricking the old ones with os updates.
Magic.

MacHiavelli
Jun 24, 2011, 10:10 AM
I want an iPod touch with a 3g card built it. No phone calls needed, just the iPod touch when I'm out and about.

aristobrat
Jun 24, 2011, 10:13 AM
I want an iPod touch with a 3g card built it. No phone calls needed, just the iPod touch when I'm out and about.
Would you pay an extra $129 for that connectivity option (like the extra cost for 3G iPads vs wifi-only iPads)?

iSayuSay
Jun 24, 2011, 10:15 AM
I have iPod touch 4g and dumb phone, and God, how well they serve and fit my needs. I do a lot of calling and texting outdoors. By that condition, my phone is compromised, and so it is. Phone has a lot of scratch on it, kinda like scars, huh.. Living proof that it somehow manage to survive things :D

Yet the iPod sit well since i use it for wifi. Imagine how many scars i'd leave with an iPhone :p

So yes, there always people out there who wants a device with 80% iPhone, just as big (iPad is not that portable when u think about it, and yet some people bring it to the loo :lol: watch out you're gonna slip your iPad while remove your underpants .. or put it back .. Lol ) and no contract, no phone, but just as awesome.

If apple going to major upgrade iPod touch this year, well I'd say apple is being too generous. iPod touch today has almost being too good for the price. And rarely Apple would do so :p

Thunderhawks
Jun 24, 2011, 10:16 AM
really? this again?

Looks like ESPN just joined MR in June to troll.

Obviously clueless about the ipad:-)

Probably doesn't even have one. (Ipad that is)

RoboCop001
Jun 24, 2011, 10:19 AM
The iPhone 3G also got a case revamp, if not in actual shape, in looks..

Hmm Yeah, but the RAM, processor, graphics were all exactly the same.

It could be that they consider cosmetic changes as not a major revision number, no? And it only counts for internal components like processor etc?

I don't know :D I'm sure they'll release an A5 powered iPod touch. Because then they could focus on A5 production and have minimal A4 production for the iPhone 4 being sold as the base iPhone. And the Apple TV as well, until they update that to A5. Speaking of which... I wonder what an A5 iOS5 powered Apple TV might be able to do....

Like when they only mentioned iPod 3,2, and then had iPod 4,1 at the last minute. Or whatever it was.

bjett92
Jun 24, 2011, 10:19 AM
How did you manage to connect a wireless keyboard made by Logitech to your car's iPod connection ? That sounds like it would be actually great.:eek:

With all the people talking about their iTouch, it seems that keyboard sold really well.

I guess it's just common practice to rename Apple's devices. I'm going to start calling my iPod Shuffle an iShuffle. It makes perfect sense.

alexexexex
Jun 24, 2011, 10:20 AM
Upwards of 500 bucks for a device that does what?

Internet
Watch Movies
Books

All of this can be done on an iPod touch or a netbook, lower end laptop which would run around 300$.

When you come back to reality, you will realize the truth but its fine that you are living in your own fantasy world. Its when you finally snap out of it and you subject yourself to the truth that will hurt.

maybe ease of use is worth something to me (and millions of others)

i happily paid what i did and enjoy using my ipad very much.

if it doesn't suit your personal needs or budget that's fine, but to accuse those who a) like it and b) don't thinks its overpriced as fantasists is ridiculous

Sean-
Jun 24, 2011, 10:21 AM

cvaldes
Jun 24, 2011, 10:22 AM
I have had all the iphones and i am thirteen
You are very privileged because the demographic research shows that you are in the minority of 13-year olds.

It's not about your individual usage case. It's about the overall marketplace.

Now write a nice thank you card to Mommy and Daddy for your ongoing iPhone ownership. And since I am an Apple shareholder, please thank them for me.

alexexexex
Jun 24, 2011, 10:22 AM

using a laptop in the kitchen strikes me as a far more risky and less elegant solution than the ipad

so its not for writers

i do my writing on my MBP at a desk

i do my reading/watching/listening/browsing everywhere far more comfortably and enjoyably than i used to.

alexexexex
Jun 24, 2011, 10:24 AM

more fool me getting sucked in eh

KnightWRX
Jun 24, 2011, 10:29 AM
using a laptop in the kitchen strikes me as a far more risky and less elegant solution than the ipad

It's actually better than the iPad. With the screen sitting upright, I don't need to look down for my recipes/browsing. The iPad sitting flat on the counter or propped up against the wall or some other object sounds far more risky to me.

I don't care about elegance when I'm in the kitchen, or anywhere for that matter. I'm not an elegant guy. I'm a practical guy.

so its not for writers

i do my writing on my MBP at a desk

I do my writing on a MBA : On the couch, in the kitchen, on the can, on the bus, in coffee shops, at the office, in the park, etc... etc.. Far more comfortably than on an iPad.

Why even have a MBP if it's going to sit on a desk all the time ? Waste of money right there.

i do my reading/watching/listening/browsing everywhere far more comfortably and enjoyably than i used to.

So do I, the MBA is an absolute joy to carry around. And it's far more comfortable with the keyboard serving as an attached stand and the hinges to move the screen around than an iPad or my iPhone is.

vancexxx
Jun 24, 2011, 10:31 AM
(Hey, Apple,) Here's what i want from the new iPod Touch in September:

- better front/rear cameras
- A5 processor
- larger display (maybe edge-to-edge)
- brushed aluminium back (just like the iPad)
- 16GB entry-level model
- 3G (i don't think that's gonna happen)

commander.data
Jun 24, 2011, 10:33 AM
The device number naming convention has consistently reflected differences in the CPU/SoC. Not case design or other checkbox features like GPS or camera resolution since from a software standpoint, it's the CPU/SoC that really defines the generation of the hardware. The best example of this is not within the iPhone lineup, but in comparison between the iPhone and iPod Touch lineup. Specifically, for 2nd generation devices, the iPhone 3G was only incremented to 1.2 while the 2nd Gen iPod Touch was incremented to 2.1. Both 2nd generation devices received a case redesign and both got other new auxiliary hardware features like GPS for the iPhone 3G and Bluetooth for the 2nd gen Touch, but only the iPod Touch was considered a major revision. The key difference was the SoC. The iPhone 3G used the same CPU/SoC as the original iPhone, whereas the 2nd gen iPod Touch got a die-shrink 65nm SoC that was clocked faster and this seems to be considered a major generational difference even if the CPU/GPU architecture was the same (ie. ARM11 and PowerVR MBX Lite).

If the pattern continues, and the next iPod Touch is only called 4.2, that does strongly imply that it'll be retaining the A4, although possibly with the RAM increased to 512MB. Still with the release of the Nintendo 3DS and Sony Playstation Vita, you'd think Apple would want an iPod Touch with the Apple A5.

ChazUK
Jun 24, 2011, 10:35 AM
I'd be happy with just 2 things.

Better rear camera and a RAM bump. As it is today, it's pretty much perfect.

ESPN
Jun 24, 2011, 10:38 AM

Stop straying off topic, the iPad lacks in portability and the fact that it runs a mobile operating system for a 500$ device, only fools would purchase.

dmunz
Jun 24, 2011, 10:42 AM
Bigger screen
Better camera
3G

That's all I can think of

BUt keep the same form factor. I'd even give up some battery life if they could pack that all into the current box.

Oh, LTE would be nice too. I'm playing with a VZ Thunderbolt on LTE and it is wicked fast...

FWIW
DLM

maroontiger2k9
Jun 24, 2011, 10:50 AM

well a 100-128GB ipod touch would be an EPIC WIN... and i know people are going to say "but what about icloud?!?!" well local storage always trumps requiring more dedication to cloud storage

MacHiavelli
Jun 24, 2011, 10:56 AM
Would you pay an extra $129 for that connectivity option (like the extra cost for 3G iPads vs wifi-only iPads)?

Yes - I would. Just for the convenience, but saving the cost and hassle of having a phone/contract.

Do 99.99999 percent of communication via text, email, FB, twitter, im, skype.

Hardly ever use a landline or mobile phone any more.

commander.data
Jun 24, 2011, 10:59 AM
well a 100-128GB ipod touch would be an EPIC WIN... and i know people are going to say "but what about icloud?!?!" well local storage always trumps cloud storage
Doesn't iCloud just allow you to redownload your music on to the device rather than stream it? So locally storage is critical even for iCloud.

And I'm guessing 5th gen devices will get 720p FaceTime HD to match Macs and will get 1080p video recording capability. That probably means the iPod Touch will get a 1080p fixed focus rear camera and a 720p front camera. That will mean that rear camera will finally break the 1MP barrier even if it's nothing to write home about.

AppleScruff1
Jun 24, 2011, 11:00 AM
I have to imagine between the Iphone and Ipad, the Ipod will soon fall off the map and no longer be needed. This won't happen any time soon, but it's possible in the future

We are in the post iPod era now. Soon iPods will be obsolete.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 24, 2011, 11:08 AM

Depends. Personal I think iOS is great for a music player and honestly I feel the music part of iOS is the best of all the OS out there.
iOS is great for an iPod. I would hate it for my phone OS because it sucks at information at a glance. I also like having a dedicated media player that is not my phone.
That is just me. iOS is great for an iPod and I would not want an Android power MP3 player over an iPod touch. Android for Phone hell yes. Android for something like the iPod not so much.
It's actually better than the iPad. With the screen sitting upright, I don't need to look down for my recipes/browsing. The iPad sitting flat on the counter or propped up against the wall or some other object sounds far more risky to me.

I don't care about elegance when I'm in the kitchen, or anywhere for that matter. I'm not an elegant guy. I'm a practical guy.s.

BAN HIM YOU ARE A TROLL :D. That is Anti Apple. Apple is able looking elegant first practical is an after though.

Sorry I just had to do it.

I am like you function comes way before form in my book. Hell form is not something I ever really concern myself with. I am all about function. That might explain the mess of wires on my desk for how I more or less set things up to make it work with what I have on hand. I am not willing to spend a lot of money just so things look prettier.

GREEN4U
Jun 24, 2011, 11:16 AM
How about get rid of the stainless steel back!!

localoid
Jun 24, 2011, 11:26 AM

The way I understand it, the post-iPod era is scheduled to end Labor Day weekend '11, and we'll be well into the post-post-iPod era by Thanksgiving, followed by an exciting new paradigm being introduced just in time for Christmas.

AppleScruff1
Jun 24, 2011, 11:41 AM
The way I understand it, the post-iPod era is scheduled to end Labor Day weekend '11, and we'll be well into the post-post-iPod era by Thanksgiving, followed by an exciting new paradigm being introduced just in time for Christmas.

Steve will be making an announcement on this in the near future, probably when the iPhone 5 is announced. I can't help but wonder how much longer it will be until we are in the post cellular era and phones will be a thing of the past. And what about the post iPad era? I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, but you get the idea. :D

Meandmunch
Jun 24, 2011, 12:35 PM
Not sure if they even could but I think the price point of the iPod has to drop a bit, distance itself from the iPhone. It really is a "fake" or "nerfed" iPhone. It should be priced aggressively and marketed as the worlds best entertainment device.

alexexexex
Jun 24, 2011, 01:07 PM

I don't care about elegance when I'm in the kitchen, or anywhere for that matter. I'm not an elegant guy. I'm a practical guy.

I do my writing on a MBA : On the couch, in the kitchen, on the can, on the bus, in coffee shops, at the office, in the park, etc... etc.. Far more comfortably than on an iPad.

Why even have a MBP if it's going to sit on a desk all the time ? Waste of money right there.

So do I, the MBA is an absolute joy to carry around. And it's far more comfortable with the keyboard serving as an attached stand and the hinges to move the screen around than an iPad or my iPhone is.

risk? what risk? its in a case that keeps it at a perfect angle. plus i don't want ingredients or liquids or wet hands or oils passing near or over a keyboard. a little smear cleans off the ipad screen where the keyboard could be either much more work or even get broken. that doesn't sound "more practical" to me.

With an mStand, a wireless keyboard and trackpad my 2007 MBP has become a desktop yes, and my next mac will be an iMac. Had the iPad existed in 2007 i may have bought an iMac then instead but it didn't. and Neither did the MBA. it was the best option for me at the time and far from being a waste of money it has put in good service and should last me at least until lion is mature and i'm ready for the iMac.

s0nicpr0s
Jun 24, 2011, 01:14 PM
Does anyone else think that the reference is just indicating a prototype? To me it would make sense that they'd have an iPod that has the A5 chip inside of it already, as well as any other upgrades Apple is going to use to test their software before they produce millions of the device and find out that they need to rewrite parts of iOS 5 to run on it. It's possible that its marked as 4,2 for now since it's almost identical to 4,1 except for the CPU/SoC at the moment, leaving the other upgrades such as cameras for a later date.

I'm sure that as more betas come out, and we get closer to September, that references for iPod5,1 will start cropping up. It also seems that most people assume the Back To School Sale didn't come with an iPod Touch this year because Apple isn't going to upgrade it, doesn't it make sense that they're trying to increase traffic to their Mac App Store? But that's for another thread, this one is just for the iPod Touch reference.

SunsetDistrict
Jun 24, 2011, 01:42 PM
An iPhone with 2 year contract costs upwards of $2500-$3500/U.S. after taxes over 2 years. An alternative is a pay as-you-go RAZR costing $200 (2 years) + the $50 phone plus a WiFi iTouch for $200.

If you can handle carrying two devices, and limit texting to WiFi, you can save $3000 over 2 years.

As the financial reality of many of us hit home, and yet we still want the Apple experience, it's possible that the iPod touch will appeal to a tech savvy, but underemployed mass of people.

KnightWRX
Jun 24, 2011, 01:48 PM
risk? what risk? its in a case that keeps it at a perfect angle. plus i don't want ingredients or liquids or wet hands or oils passing near or over a keyboard. a little smear cleans off the ipad screen where the keyboard could be either much more work or even get broken. that doesn't sound "more practical" to me.

Hum... I don't know what kind of slob you are in the kitchen, but that's pretty far from "elegant" right there.

I've never dirtied a recipe book, I don't see how I can dirty my MBA's keyboard in the kitchen. And your case must be pretty nasty after all those spills.

iTouch for the under-employed

How does a wireless keyboard sold by Logitech help the under-employed anyhow ?

vartanarsen
Jun 24, 2011, 03:11 PM
An ipod touch gives the feeling of an iPhone without the bloated data/talk contract for two years.

Ummm??? Just put in a Straight Talk SIM into iPhone. $45/month. Unlimited Talk/Text/Data

gkarris
Jun 24, 2011, 03:17 PM
(Hey, Apple,) Here's what i want from the new iPod Touch in September:

- better front/rear cameras
- A5 processor
- larger display (maybe edge-to-edge)
- brushed aluminium back (just like the iPad)
- 16GB entry-level model
- 3G (i don't think that's gonna happen)

I'm thinking only the A5, drop the price of the 8GB to $199, and add the 16GB at $249.

Your updates are more "major"...

vancexxx
Jun 24, 2011, 04:18 PM
I'm thinking only the A5, drop the price of the 8GB to $199, and add the 16GB at $249.

Your updates are more "major"...

Yeah, i know. We'll probably get all of those in an iPod Touch 2 or 3 years from now. Bummer. But i hope it's gonna be more than the A5, it has to be. The iPhone 5 will probably have some influence upon the updates in the iPod Touch as well.

dampfnudel
Jun 24, 2011, 04:41 PM
A5 and improved cameras (maybe just improved cameras), possibly the last iPod Touch, to be phased out next year in favor of lower-end iPhones that could entice their users at a later date to "go all the way" with service activation. Why carry around two devices when Apple can take care of all of your mobile needs with just one? It's all about iPhones and iPads today. Steve also wants more teens to get iPhones from their generous parents.

On a personal note, I've loved using my 3rd gen iPod Touch 64GB for close to two years now. I didn't want to go to AT&T in 2009, but I wanted to experience all of the great new apps and games with iOS. Now, I'm planning to get a iPhone 5 (hoping for 64GB) with Verizon and possibly an iPad 3 with the larger display my eyes will appreciate. I've passed my iOS training course and I'm ready to upgrade to the real deal. It's graduation time.:D

iEvolution
Jun 24, 2011, 05:16 PM
One has got to wonder if they are starting to let the iPod Touch meet the iPod Classic/Nano line...as in they are out of ideas and they either kill the unit with lack of updates or kill the unit with some radical idea.

I'm surprised they haven't tried to stifle the device earlier by making the iPhone and iPad superior. (which actually they both are)

I won't be converting to the iPhone (contracts) or iPad (an overpriced gimmick device, and still ultimately a large iPhone/iPod Touch).

Jun 24, 2011, 06:05 PM
I am hoping that the touch line is expanded to a 5 or 7 inch model. The engineering requirements to keep the aspect and pixel range is easily doable.

I know SJ has said there would never be a smaller iPad but, he never said there would not be a larger touch.

Other than that, the usual incremental upgrades, GPS, and a better camera would be nice.

ESPN
Jun 24, 2011, 06:29 PM
Ummm??? Just put in a Straight Talk SIM into iPhone. $45/month. Unlimited Talk/Text/Data

No a data contract wouldn't run this cheap, you must have something shady going on.

iSayuSay
Jun 24, 2011, 06:33 PM

Huh? U sure? Would you take your iphone simply for jogging? Or just listening to music? You will unnecesarily waste your iphone battery while you're at it. It's not always nice to have extra complete swiss knife.

There's always market for iPods. iPad can't be iPod. Too big, for indoor purpose only. If iPod touch given 10" display, tell me what iPod wouldn't be able to do compared to iPad? (beside gps and 3g of course)

iPod and iMac should do it for me, dumb phone serve my purpose much better :p

KnightWRX
Jun 24, 2011, 07:01 PM
Huh? U sure? Would you take your iphone simply for jogging? Or just listening to music? You will unnecesarily waste your iphone battery while you're at it. It's not always nice to have extra complete swiss knife.

Why are people so worried about the damn battery all the time. Do you keep your iPhone off to preserve battery ?

The thing can last long enough that I can play 3D games, listen to music and use it as a phone, why would I carry around an extra device ?

The only reason I use an iPod (and it's a nano) is the gym, because I can't stand those arm bands.

SactoGuy18
Jun 24, 2011, 07:02 PM
My guess is that the 5G iPod touch will look almost the same as the 4G model, but will be slightly thicker for two reasons:

1. Accommodate the 5 megapixel camera plus LED flash from the now-phased out iPhone 4, since rumor has it that the next iPhone will now get an 8 megapixel camera with dual LED flash.

2. Accommodate up to 128 GB of flash memory (5G iPod touch models only come in 32 GB, 64 GB and 128 GB flash memory capacities).

Of course, the 5G iPod touch will use the A5 CPU/GPU.

mosx
Jun 24, 2011, 08:17 PM
I don't see why some people are talking about how it'd be good for Apple to phase out the iPod touch in favor of low-end iPhones.

Not everyone wants a smartphone. And iPad proves not everyone wants a cellular radio in everything.

I know plenty of actual adults, young and old, who have an iPod touch and a regular "dumb phone". They want the iOS device but don't want a "phone" anywhere near it. Especially considering how cheap and good prepaid services can be these days. If I didn't have an iPhone (I love my iPhone 4 but I kick myself every day for renewing my contract with AT&T a year ago to buy it), I'd have no problem carrying a regular "dumb" phone and iPod touch. Before the original iPhone I had no problem carrying an iPod mini and dumb phone. Then 80GB iPod 5.5G and dumb phone.

With iPod touch sales increasing and becoming the most popular iPod, theres no reason for them to phase it out.

All they need to do is continue to improve it. Get rid of the stainless steel back. For the love of all things good, PLEASE get rid of the stainless steel back.

Put better cameras on it. Read something some time ago about a 3.2MP camera sensor that was available that would fit in the iPod touch form factor. Use that.

Bump it up to A5 with 512MB of RAM. Thats all.

Theres always going to be a market for the iPod touch and sales prove it. You don't sell tens of millions of something if theres no market for it.

The same way theres always going to be a market for something like the iPod nano. Even though sales of it might be going down, the market for it will always be there in one way or another.

SactoGuy18
Jun 25, 2011, 10:50 AM
All they need to do is continue to improve it. Get rid of the stainless steel back. For the love of all things good, PLEASE get rid of the stainless steel back.

Put better cameras on it. Read something some time ago about a 3.2MP camera sensor that was available that would fit in the iPod touch form factor. Use that.

Bump it up to A5 with 512MB of RAM. Thats all.

I agree 100%. That's why I think that 5G iPod touch will look like the 4G model, but will be slight thicker to accommodate the old iPhone 4 camera sensor plus LED flash and storage capacities up to 128 GB. And the back will be a new, scratch-proof plastic that will be grey in color.

Plutonius
Jun 25, 2011, 11:41 AM
I concur. BETTER CAMERA number one. A5 chip would also be sweet. Other than that? Its hard to think of anything. Thinner? Ha! Any thinner, and it'd cut your hand.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a better battery life. I like how thin it is but I would be willing to buy a thicker iPod Touch with a higher capacity battery.

ESPN
Jul 31, 2011, 12:18 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a better battery life. I like how thin it is but I would be willing to buy a thicker iPod Touch with a higher capacity battery.
Battery life is decent on the touch,specs and camera is all the Touch needs.

KarlJay
Jul 31, 2011, 07:01 AM
If Apple ever dropped the iPod Touch they would be fools!
I bought an iPod video and this year the latest iPod Touch. I love both of them, they do their jobs very well.

I don't do monthly contracts for phone service. I've saved plenty of money by going pre-paid and have no problem with it.

As far as the updates, the iPod Touch should be an iPhone without the phone. Not having GPS means I can't use it as a tomtom type tool. No compass, why no compass? The cameras do suck, but I bought the Zi8 and it takes stunning video. They need to step up and be compareable to what the market offers.

IIRC, iPod Touch is one of the biggest gamming platforms now too.

palpatine
Jul 31, 2011, 07:06 AM
i do hope apple continues the ipod line. i really cannot see why they would drop it, especially when there are a lot of us who have no interest in being fleeced by data plans, but want to listen to music, access the internet by wifi, and use skype or similar services to make phone calls. i have a dumb phone i make a calls on a few times a month, and i have absolutely no interest in a smart phone.

i prefer a smart device.

carlgo
Jul 31, 2011, 09:34 AM
Doesn't it seem likely that the iPod will end up being a small iPad?

An iPhone is great if you use all the data you pay for, but many do not want to pay $$$$ for $20 of use to subsidize every empty soul yapping away all day.

A $15 VZ el cheap prepay makes phone calls most everywhere and you can get a Touch to augment that.

ESPN
Jul 31, 2011, 08:08 PM
The only reason that Apple would not let the touch line diminish in to oblivion is to introduce it as a stronger gaming device.

Since phones have largely rendered mp3 players useless, this may be the plan for the touch and I wouldn't be surprised if in september, Jobs will land some hard punches on Sony and Nintendo.

hindimjr
Dec 24, 2011, 01:59 AM
I registered because of this conversation. Let me tell you one thing. Short of winning the lottery I've no plans to buy or use any device that requires a contract. I admit I'm poor enough, but no one should be tied down to any contractual obligations. The only reason they exist to tie you down is because we are all let these companies get away with it. They force it upon you. You should be able to buy a model of phone and get service through any carrier with no contract. I will never own one of the verizon/at&t iphones or ipads unless someone gives me one that is not connected to contractual service. And if prepaid service providers are wiped off the map I'll go live under a rock and be happy not to give so many hours of my job's wages away for stupid toys that become outdated three times a year.

thenerdal
Dec 24, 2011, 07:38 PM
I want an iPod Touch with the same features as the iPhone, except without it being a phone.