PDA

View Full Version : Apple Confirms iCloud Web Apps for Mail, Contacts, Calendar, and Find My iPhone

MacRumors
Jun 24, 2011, 12:15 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/24/apple-confirms-icloud-web-apps-for-mail-contacts-calendar-and-find-my-iphone/)

There has been some debate (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/13/icloud-com-to-offer-at-least-some-of-mobilemes-web-functionality/) over whether Apple will be providing web app functionality for iCloud services such as Mail once the transition from MobileMe is complete, and while we had previously noted that it appeared that at least some of the web functionality was likely to make the transition, Apple has posted a new transition guide (http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html) (via TechCrunch (http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/24/icloud-on-the-web/)) confirming that the web apps will continue to exist with iCloud.Will I be able to access iCloud services on the web?

Yes. Web access to iCloud Mail, Contacts, Calendar, and Find My iPhone will be available at icloud.com this fall.Apple also confirms that the existing iWeb publishing (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/12/steve-jobs-confirms-discontinuation-of-iweb-in-icloud-transition/), Gallery, and iDisk services from MobileMe will not be making the transition to iCloud. Some of these functionalities will, however, be replaced and/or enhanced with the already-announced photo and cloud services in iCloud.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/icloud.png

All existing MobileMe services will continue to be available through June 30, 2012, although some such as syncing of Mac Dashboard widgets, keychains, Dock items, and System Preferences will become unavailable if users transfer their existing MobileMe accounts to iCloud before that deadline. Other MobileMe services not transitioning to iCloud such as iWeb publishing, Gallery, and iDisk will continue to be available until June 30, 2012 regardless of whether users maintain their existing MobileMe accounts or transition them to iCloud.

Article Link: Apple Confirms iCloud Web Apps for Mail, Contacts, Calendar, and Find My iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/24/apple-confirms-icloud-web-apps-for-mail-contacts-calendar-and-find-my-iphone/)

WhySoSerious
Jun 24, 2011, 12:19 PM
1. Will your email aliases also transfer over? I use 4 alias email accounts and 1 main account.
2. Is "Documents in the cloud" the same thing as iDisk? I currently use iDisk.

*LTD*
Jun 24, 2011, 12:20 PM
So no iDisk?

Fine. No problem.

So what will they be calling my 20 GB of storage space, accessible across all my devices? Will this be "Documents in the Cloud" as we see above? What type of documents? Does this include movies, audio files, etc?

harleyb
Jun 24, 2011, 12:20 PM
Huge shame that keychain syncing is being discontinued. Are there any third-party solutions to bridge the gap?

ndpitch
Jun 24, 2011, 12:21 PM
Interesting about iDisk. I wonder what will happen there?

hexx
Jun 24, 2011, 12:22 PM
1. Will your email aliases also transfer over? I use 4 alias email accounts and 1 main account.

exactly what i just wanted to ask - what about aliases, **** i switched 2 months ago from gmail all of my email addresses to mobileme. don't really want to go back to google :( life w/o them has been nice so far

OllyW
Jun 24, 2011, 12:23 PM
Huge shame that keychain syncing is being discontinued. Are there any third-party solutions to bridge the gap?

I though Keychain syncing was moving over to iCloud but it looks like I'm wrong. That's a shame..

rmwebs
Jun 24, 2011, 12:24 PM

1Password inside a Dropbox account...covers all your web passwords.

exactly what i just wanted to ask - what about aliases, **** i switched 2 months ago from gmail all of my email addresses to mobileme. don't really want to go back to google :( life w/o them has been nice so far

I'd consider going back if I were you...you cant beat GMail, especially with MobileMe Mail...

mattwolfmatt
Jun 24, 2011, 12:25 PM
Will documents in the cloud only work for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote? What about Word and Excel? Photoshop? Sibelius?

lozanoj83
Jun 24, 2011, 12:25 PM
Keychain syncing is moving over to iCloud.

Syncing of Mac Dashboard widgets, keychains, Dock items, and System Preferences will not be part of iCloud, but will continue to be available for you to use until you move to iCloud.

Seems like it wont move over. Bummer.

drewisanapple
Jun 24, 2011, 12:27 PM
So no iDisk?

Fine. No problem.

So what will they be calling my 20 GB of storage space, accessible across all my devices? Will tis be "Documents in the Cloud" as we see above? What type of documents? Does tis include movies, audio files, etc?

So far we only know of 5 GB in the cloud, but there's an option to buy more, which we'll see.

OllyW
Jun 24, 2011, 12:28 PM
Seems like it wont move over. Bummer.

Yeah, just noticed that on my second read. :o

virus7
Jun 24, 2011, 12:28 PM

yeah, keychains, Dock items, and System Preferences have always been a big plus for me...can't imagine it wouldn't somehow be available with iCloud...

I guess time will tell.

brock2621
Jun 24, 2011, 12:31 PM
Ouch Joshua Topolsky...

*LTD*
Jun 24, 2011, 12:31 PM
yeah, keychains, Dock items, and System Preferences have always been a big plus for me...can't imagine it wouldn't somehow be available with iCloud...

I guess time will tell.

Seems bizarre that Keychain won't be included. Unless they're planning a replacement down the road.

JackieTreehorn
Jun 24, 2011, 12:33 PM
I wish they would keep iWeb publishing.

swb1192
Will documents in the cloud only work for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote? What about Word and Excel? Photoshop? Sibelius?

During the keynote, SJ said that the APIs would be open for all developers to have "in the cloud" apps.

gri
So no iDisk?

Fine. No problem.

So what will they be calling my 20 GB of storage space, accessible across all my devices? Will this be "Documents in the Cloud" as we see above? What type of documents? Does this include movies, audio files, etc?

So if there is no iDisk the easier way to get documents into Keynote, pages etc for iPAd is gone... Unless they implement access via Dropbox.

theBigD23
I will only miss Gallery. I liked using that to share video and pictures.

Jowl
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Galleries a big loss. Better than picassa and the alternatives for sharing pics with family and friends.

I'll stick with google (Apps) for e mail though - brilliant.

tijn89
Jun 24, 2011, 12:34 PM
What if i would be happy to pay for the mobileme-features they are canceling?!
I would pay $10 a year for a great photogallery function added to my iCloud-account. Just give us a way to expand the iCloud-features by paying for it. Not everything has to be for free, but cancelling the features is just a loss of good products.

ksgant
Jun 24, 2011, 12:34 PM
1Password inside a Dropbox account...covers all your web passwords.

I use 1Password, but just closed down my Dropbox account...with their security issues there. Yes, the 1password data file is encrypted client side, I still don't trust Dropbox anymore. Especially after just making everyone's account open with no password needed for 4 hours this past weekend. :D

http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/vulnerabilities/231000111

Truffy
Jun 24, 2011, 12:37 PM
This is a huge kick in the teeth for everyone using iWeb. It's a pity that FrontPage isn't available for Mac.

Oh no, that's right, it isn't.

*LTD*
So if there is no iDisk the easier way to get documents into Keynote, pages etc for iPAd is gone... Unless they implement access via Dropbox.

I'm quite sure your stuff will be easily accessible from the iPad. That's the point.

TimmyDee
Anyone know of a reliable and reputable web host? I switched to MobileMe because of shady business practices by 1and1—not something I'd like to repeat. I don't need anything fancy—just ad-free, really.

rorschach
I wonder if the iCloud document storage APIs would let a developer write an application to sync things like Keychain and preference files. I don't see why not. It's not like an app has to be on the Mac App Store to use the APIs (allowing it to be rejected).

DotCom2
Jun 24, 2011, 12:38 PM
I use 1Password, but just closed down my Dropbox account...with their security issues there. Yes, the 1password data file is encrypted client side, I still don't trust Dropbox anymore. Especially after just making everyone's account open with no password needed for 4 hours this past weekend. :D

Not only that but read their terms of service!
That outta scare ya enough!

longofest
Jun 24, 2011, 12:39 PM
So I'm going to really miss Gallery. My mom used it for one-click publishing from iPhoto and we finally got her to stop sending massive amounts of emails with images attached. Guess we'll need to transition her to flickr?

DotCom2
Jun 24, 2011, 12:40 PM
I just can't see them getting rid of Gallery.:eek:
That is the best feature of MobileMe IMHO!

paulsalter
Jun 24, 2011, 12:43 PM
very disappointed that gallery is going, apart from contacts etc syncing, this is the most important thing for me

easy enough to move to Flickr (I use this anyway for non family pictures)

swissmann
Jun 24, 2011, 12:44 PM
Anyone know of a reliable and reputable web host?

I have the same question. Thanks for the help in advance.

jandep
Jun 24, 2011, 12:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Has anyone seen mention of the fate of back to my Mac? I use it almost every day.

logandzwon
Jun 24, 2011, 12:45 PM
I'm surprised at keychain sync going away...

Dropbox has some issues. I used to recommend them, but I do not anymore. There are now many alternatives and few have the issues dropbox has.

wellnowwhat
Jun 24, 2011, 12:46 PM
As someone who has had to support iWeb users for the past couple of years, I, for one, am very happy that the web publishing component is being phased out. The web publishing aspect of .mac/MobileMe has never worked properly and has been a total nightmare to support and troubleshoot, especially since nowadays you can get a decent web hosting package for less than a dollar a month through some hosts.

saving107
Jun 24, 2011, 12:46 PM
Ouch Joshua Topolsky...

I just found his tweets and its odd the Apple PR would tell him one thing, and then today announce something different. They could have said their usual "No Comment" remark instead of lying to Josh.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/2772/screenshot20110624at104.png

logandzwon
Jun 24, 2011, 12:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Has anyone seen mention of the fate of back to my Mac? I use it almost every day.

yes, if you read the OP you will it's moving to iCloud.

atropos
Jun 24, 2011, 12:48 PM
Screw that man... I m a long time dot mac user, first the dot mac album, and than the gallery, and now you wipe the gallery function off... totally WTF... and the thing is, is Apple think 5GB is enough for current dotmac and mobile me user? I have more than 8GB of files and mail in my iDisk already....

wellnowwhat
Jun 24, 2011, 12:48 PM
Anyone know of a reliable and reputable web host?

Dreamhost and 1and1 are two that I recommend. Dreamhost recently had a sale where you got unlimited hosting for a year and a free domain name for 9 bucks. I've been using them for a few months now and haven't had any issues.

richxps
Jun 24, 2011, 12:49 PM
so what is the best way to get my gallery pics off moblieme ? Now i have to find another place to save them

Dr McKay
Jun 24, 2011, 12:49 PM
Whats gonna happen to my stuff on iDisk then?

swarmster
Jun 24, 2011, 12:50 PM
I wish they'd reveal some of iCloud's web interface. I'm particularly curious whether Photo Stream will have some kind of web access. An 'auto-Flickr' type of service would be pretty useful.

fabian9
Jun 24, 2011, 12:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's a shame about iDisk, it's really useful and really well integrated. I guess it's all part of the transition away from having a visible file system, which I don't think I'll get used to too quickly anyways!

I'm afraid it'll make sharing documents and files from the iPhone to windows computers quite difficult!

dethmaShine
Jun 24, 2011, 12:52 PM
The two features that hurt me the most:

1. Gallery
2. Keychain Sync

C'mon Apple. Keychain Sync? It's probably the last thing I want you take away from iCloud. Sad.

jaw04005
Jun 24, 2011, 12:52 PM
"Syncing of Mac Dashboard widgets, keychains, Dock items, and System Preferences will not be part of iCloud."

What the hell? Seriously? I use those features constantly.

HelveticaNeue
Jun 24, 2011, 12:53 PM
I'm really gonna miss iDisk. It was a really nice solution for moving documents between devices and Macs. I guess it's DropBox for me but I don't find it nearly as perfect a fit for what I need.

atropos
Jun 24, 2011, 12:53 PM
Whats gonna happen to my stuff on iDisk then?

I tried last weeks with switch one of my computer to iCloud account, if your have idisk auto sync with your computer, it will create a new image and save the files for you; but I m not sure if it also work that way if the computer isn't sync with your idisk

Michael Scrip
Jun 24, 2011, 12:54 PM

What's your budget?

You can get hosting for about $5 a month. I personally wouldn't go any cheaper than that.

I've been using Site5 (http://www.site5.com/) for about 3 years now. Their plans start at $5 a month. I've never had a problem with them.

hitekalex
Jun 24, 2011, 12:55 PM
So no iDisk?

Fine. No problem.

They won't be calling it anything - the file storage service will simply be discontinued. You'd have to move your iDisk files to your local storage or another service.. How about Microsoft SkyDrive? ;)

danckwerts
Jun 24, 2011, 12:55 PM

That may be what they mean, but it's not what they say. They say that you will lose synching if you transfer before 30 June 2012. Perhaps they mean that it will be available from that date. I certainly hope so.

roland.g
Jun 24, 2011, 12:59 PM
I can live without the iWeb publishing though I do use it sometimes for blogs about my kids.

And iDisk is another I can live without but bummer.

The real tragedy is Galleries. Their interface is much better than Flickr, Picassa, etc. and I want something totally integrated. Really a shame there. Photo Stream is NOT the same thing by any stretch.

I was happy paying $99 a year. And for me I could care less about 90%+ of the iCloud features. Downloading/Streaming music I didn't think to sync. So what. Photo stream. Really, so what. Docs in the cloud. Whatever. Of course iCloud is free, it is almost worthless compared to MobileMe.

WHY NOT offer iCloud tiered. iCloud as it is for free. iCloud with iWeb hosting and Galleries and an extra 5GB of storage for the original $99 price point or even $49. Why remove what we use. It could even be an in-app upgrade. Apple gets $70 and Apple gets $29.

paulsalter
Jun 24, 2011, 12:59 PM
That may be what they mean, but it's not what they say. They say that you will lose synching if you transfer before 30 June 2012. Perhaps they mean that it will be available from that date. I certainly hope so.

my understanding is

when you convert your MM account to an iCloud account you will lose these features

stick with your MM account until the end and you get to keep them (until June 2012 anyway), at which point they will also disappear

fishmoose
Jun 24, 2011, 01:00 PM
Anyone know of a reliable and reputable web host? I switched to MobileMe because of shady business practices by 1and1—not something I'd like to repeat. I don't need anything fancy—just ad-free, really.

I would consider Squarespace.

jettredmont
Jun 24, 2011, 01:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Galleries a big loss. Better than picassa and the alternatives for sharing pics with family and friends.

I agree ... Galleries was always nicer than Picassa or Flickr for just showing off pictures. Shame I'll have to start paying someone else besides Apple to do that service for me (because the free sites all suck).

Dimwhit
Jun 24, 2011, 01:02 PM

I've used HostGator for years and really like them. They're very large, which I like. More confidence in them being around and having good uptime. Of course, because they're so large, there will surely be people telling you how bad they are. Can't avoid that with a larger business. But I've found them to be very reliable.

manu chao
Jun 24, 2011, 01:03 PM
So no iDisk?

Fine. No problem.

So what will they be calling my 20 GB of storage space, accessible across all my devices?
They will call it Dropbox.

So if there is no iDisk the easier way to get documents into Keynote, pages etc for iPAd is gone...
Any Keynote or Pages document you save on your computer will automatically uploaded to iCloud (and be thus accessible from within Pages etc. on the iPad).

I just found his tweets and its odd the Apple PR would tell him one thing, and then today announce something different. They could have said their usual "No Comment" remark instead of lying to Josh.

Most likely the Apple PR he spoke to honestly did not know and instead of promising something the PR person was not sure about, he simply said, 'to my knowledge, no', which just means nothing with Apple, unless it is announced on their website (or on a keynote), nothing is really official with Apple.

jettredmont
Jun 24, 2011, 01:06 PM
so what is the best way to get my gallery pics off moblieme ? Now i have to find another place to save them

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4702

Linked in the original article which the MacRumors article linked to ...

atropos
Jun 24, 2011, 01:07 PM
Seriously I have my own dedicated server, I can easily to setup the online album such as thing on my own, but the reason I still using dot mac or even mobileMe is the simplicity of flow to publish my personal photos and video on my "own" place. I guess thats the same reason of some dotmac member still using it, at least I do...

PeterM11
Jun 24, 2011, 01:08 PM
From the site:
If I use different accounts for iTunes and MobileMe, can I merge them into a single account and use it with iCloud?
No. You cannot merge two accounts into one. However, you will be able to move your MobileMe account (yourname@me.com) to iCloud and, if you choose, you can continue to use a different iTunes account for store purchases and iTunes in the Cloud.

GAH!!! I am SICK of signing into iTunes with my old gmail address!! I finally got a descent reply from support a couple of weeks ago saying as a workaround I could use an alias.
Oh yeah, thanks for that now that aliases are disabled.

I still can't believe Apple thought it was smart to auto-assign an iTunes account to every MobileMe account. WTF. I wonder if they plan to do the same with new iCloud account. This is bull.

Here's a question. If I canceled my MobileMe account and signed up for a new iCloud account what are the odds I could use my current @me.com address?
ex. I currently use xyz@me.com. If I delete this account would the address be up for grabs?

MacRumorUser
Jun 24, 2011, 01:09 PM

As a long time MobileMe user with iWeb it is dissapointing today the least. I have a lot of websites hosted on my mobile me storage space, I was happy paying for the service for over 10 years and now it feels like Apple are rewarding users of their mobile me iDisk and iWeb programmes with a big finger.....

iCloud is wonderful, but it should not be to th detriment of existing loyal users.

ksgant
Jun 24, 2011, 01:09 PM

You can keep them on iCloud. The "30 days" thing is only for pictures that are in flux...you can actually make albums and keep them synced...though it goes to your 5gigs of storage.

paulsalter
Jun 24, 2011, 01:11 PM
You can keep them on iCloud. The "30 days" thing is only for pictures that are in flux...you can actually make albums and keep them synced...though it goes to your 5gigs of storage.

Are these shareable ? , thats one of the main things with gallery, showing your pictures to people

Jun 24, 2011, 01:12 PM
I can live without the iWeb publishing though I do use it sometimes for blogs about my kids.

The real tragedy is Galleries. Their interface is much better than Flickr, Picassa, etc. and I want something totally integrated. Really a shame there. Photo Stream is NOT the same thing by any stretch.

I was happy paying $99 a year. And for me I could care less about 90%+ of the iCloud features. Downloading/Streaming music I didn't think to sync. So what. Photo stream. Really, so what. Docs in the cloud. Whatever. Of course iCloud is free, it is almost worthless compared to MobileMe.

WHY NOT offer iCloud tiered. iCloud as it is for free. iCloud with iWeb hosting and Galleries and an extra 5GB of storage for the original $99 price point or even $49. Why remove what we use. It could even be an in-app upgrade. Apple gets $70 and Apple gets $29.

Agreed.

iWeb publish was nice - but is replaceable
iDisk was never good (way too slow)
Galleries - this is the one thing that is not replaceable

All the big photo sharing sites are good for photo sharing, but look plain ugly, contain way to many links to its own service and often require flash when building a 'slide show'. (I had some 'private' galleries embedded in my webpage which looks good and was a good fit to the overall design of the iweb pages - flickr & co don't integrate smoothly )

I hosted two pages on my .mac account. The first one, I am in the process to move to my gmail account which offers free web hosting (very simplistic site where the gmail site builder is good enough). The other page is already 99% moved to squarepace.com (fantastic site builder and good looking photo galleries [not as good as .mac galleries, but good enough and no plugin required])

Guess squarespace might get lots of new customers now. I had the free trial for half a day and signed up for it (the free trial is 14 days)

millerb7
Jun 24, 2011, 01:13 PM
This is a huge kick in the teeth for everyone using iWeb. It's a pity that FrontPage isn't available for Mac.

Best thing they can do ;)

I despise iWeb... and frontpage? Welcome to '03!

Why don't you try using something like wordpress for your sites? If you don't have the markup/coding expertise you can make some really nice sites with wordpress and it's free.

pjhamill
This doesn't come as a surprise, remember that iCloud beta screenshot a few weeks ago? That was on apple's intranet so I think we knew this was coming. I can't understand why they didn't tell us about this at WWDC?

winston1236

yea that was a ridiculous screwup

andiwm2003
this sucks so much it hurts.

no keychain syncing anymore? no iDisk, no iWeb? iCloud is either a huge step down from MobileMe in features (we see about quality later).

Also it is not possible anymore to edit Aliases for Mail. I take this as sign that Aliases go away as well. That would suck even more because I have used them to sign up for websites.

It's not that I'm expecting something free here. I just want Apple to not take away features of their services as they please. Time to switch to some other service.

manu chao
Jun 24, 2011, 01:16 PM
Very simple, Apple focusses on making the features it has announced for iCloud work as good as it can. Once that is achieved, it will start adding more features. As so often, a new system is announced which can different things and more exciting things but not yet all the things of the old system. It is for the user to decide whether they want to keep old the old features for the time being or try the new features but lose some of the old.
It is your choice.

Here's a question. If I canceled my MobileMe account and signed up for a new iCloud account what are the odds I could use my current @me.com address?
ex. I currently use xyz@me.com. If I delete this account would the address be up for grabs?
Once you can actually sign up for iCloud, I am sure Apple will have documentation on whether you can keep your @me.com addresses. And judging from the fact that your .mac e-mail addresses transfered just fine to MobileMe, I think the chances are pretty good you will be able to transfer them.

stick with your MM account until the end and you get to keep them (until June 2012 anyway), at which point they will also disappear
What features iCloud will have in one year from now is obviously not yet decided (and will not for quite some time). Apple simply doesn't make any promises yet for the period past June 2012.

nickmilitello
Jun 24, 2011, 01:18 PM
First FCP X now this news.... why are taking everything that was good about your service and kicking us in the teeth. Do I really have to go back to Microsoft....

haydn!
Jun 24, 2011, 01:20 PM
I'm surprised at some of the comments here, I thought Apple made it pretty clear iCloud was less about 'cloud storage' and more about 'cloud syncing'

The point if iCloud is to ensure all your devices, including iOS, Mac and PC devices are all perfectly in sync. All of the time. Not provide online storage so you can access data from your devices anywhere.

Because of this, you won't need cloud storage because all your content will be available on your devices.

There is no need for the Gallery feature because your photos will already be available on your devices. Why view them over the net when it's quicker and easier to view them directly from your device?

Personally, I think this is the safer, better way of approaching 'cloud' services.

paulsalter
Jun 24, 2011, 01:20 PM
Very simple, Apple focusses on making the features it has announced for iCloud work as good as it can. Once that is achieved, it will start adding more features. As so often, a new system is announced which can different things and more exciting things but not yet all the things of the old system. It is for the user to decide whether they want to keep old the old features for the time being or try the new features but lose some of the old.
It is your choice.

What features iCloud will have in one year from now is obviously not yet decided (and will not for quite some time). Apple simply doesn't make any promises yet for the period past June 2012.

Not sure if I can truest Apple to add more features

going by track record, come 2013 time they will have other ideas and start removing features from iCloud that people have used

i would like a service that provides a service and sticks with it, not abandons it after 2 years

paulsalter
Jun 24, 2011, 01:22 PM
There is no need for the Gallery feature because your photos will already be available on your devices. Why view them over the net when it's quicker and easier to view them directly from your device?

how do I share the pictures with somebody ?

can i email a link so they can be viewed ?

I dont need to view them only on my devices

unixphone
Jun 24, 2011, 01:23 PM
From the site:

That is exactly why it is good to be a mobile me user now. We garbed all the useful email account name before it becoming like... gmail and yahoo mail.
Thus, do not cancel your mobile me account. It will worth it!!

That is also why I registered something similar to steve.jobs with other aliases like s.jobs, s.friends s.family months ago. I saw it coming!!!! You might also want to change your facebook username to something useful before they officially roll out facebook address. It will be [facebook user name]@facebook.com

MrMoore
Jun 24, 2011, 01:24 PM
From the site:

GAH!!! I am SICK of signing into iTunes with my old gmail address!! I finally got a descent reply from support a couple of weeks ago saying as a workaround I could use an alias.
Oh yeah, thanks for that now that aliases are disabled.

I still can't believe Apple thought it was smart to auto-assign an iTunes account to every MobileMe account. WTF. I wonder if they plan to do the same with new iCloud account. This is bull.

I agree. I have a MobileMe account, but for iTunes I am using an old Hotmail account. I made changes in iTunes Store to have any messages sent to my .mac address, but I was really hoping to have everything under one account. :mad:

MacRumorUser
Jun 24, 2011, 01:26 PM

Personally, I think this is the safer, better way of approaching 'cloud' services.

So instead of giving all my friends my gallery address so they can look and share my photos, I have to give them my iCloud login details and make sure they have an iPhone or iPad so they can see my photos loaded to the cloud...

Yep that sounds much 'safer' indeed....

manu chao
Jun 24, 2011, 01:27 PM
i would like a service that provides a service and sticks with it, not abandons it after 2 years
You cannot trust anybody. Because nobody operates as a charitable organisation with infinite resources. Any service that is not popular will be shutdown at some point. Remember Google Wave?

It is up to you to figure out whether a service is likely to be around for a while. Any service that does not have a multi-year track record, carries a significant risk of market failure.

roland.g
Jun 24, 2011, 01:29 PM
I'm surprised at some of the comments here, I thought Apple made it pretty clear iCloud was less about 'cloud storage' and more about 'cloud syncing'

The point if iCloud is to ensure all your devices, including iOS, Mac and PC devices are all perfectly in sync. All of the time. Not provide online storage so you can access data from your devices anywhere.

Because of this, you won't need cloud storage because all your content will be available on your devices.

I don't care if my photos are available on my devices. I want to share photos and videos with friends and family on the web, wherever they are, and regardless on platform on a nicely designed black ad-free interface with great slideshows and animations. And they built the sharing right into iPhoto, Aperture and iMovie. They even have an iOS app for Gallery and iDisk.

paulsalter
You cannot trust anybody. Any service that is not popular will be shutdown at some point. Remember Google Wave?

It is up to you to figure out whether a service is likely to be around for a while. Any service that does not have a multi-year track record, carries a significant risk of market failure.

Thats very true

I thought MM was quite popular though, seems a lot of people use the features

PeterM11
Okay then, from the replies I've gotten I guess it would be easier to just switch sides on this one.

My new question to Apple would be are @me.com aliases coming back? I was even suggested by MobileMe support to use them after they were already disabled so I hope they do. I never really had a reason to use them until now.

Edit:
Currently active email aliases will continue to work for sending and receiving emails.

The ability to add, delete, or change an email alias will be available for MobileMe members that move to iCloud, once it is available this fall.

Found that on their site in a support page.

andiwm2003
Jun 24, 2011, 01:30 PM

i'm surprised of this comment. you obviously haven't used MobileMe and .Mac before that and have features taken away from the service after Apple promised for years they will improve and develop them. There are a million people out there that have an established setup using services that get now cancelled.

MacRumorUser
Jun 24, 2011, 01:37 PM
i'm surprised of this comment. you obviously haven't used MobileMe and .Mac before that and have features taken away from the service after Apple promised for years they will improve and develop them. There are a million people out there that have an established setup using services that get now cancelled.

Exactly mine and many others situation summed up.

I do not understand how Apple are abandoning a paid service that many customers are happy and willing to pay, for a 'free' service without the option at least for upgradeable tiered service. Penalise those that are giving us money, to offer a somewhat dumbed down service to those that are not. How is this business sense is beyond me.

Robin4
Jun 24, 2011, 01:37 PM
Have they posted everything about the iCloud package? What's in, what's out, what's new.

I think i'll reserve my thoughts (and aggravations) until I know the whole story. I'm glad to hear what's in so far.

manu chao
Jun 24, 2011, 01:40 PM
You know what is sometime jokingly cited as article zero of many constitutions?
The right that nothing will change and that whatever you have acquired be it your own possessions or entitlements of any kind of sorts or features in software products will always be yours.

If you had bought a succession of a 12-cylinder cars and then at some point the manufacturer decides to not offer a 12-cylinder engine in the next model, would you feel let down?

Sora
Jun 24, 2011, 01:43 PM
The two features that hurt me the most:

1. Gallery
2. Keychain Sync

C'mon Apple. Keychain Sync? It's probably the last thing I want you take away from iCloud. Sad.

I agree completely. I would expand #2 and say the entire "Synchronize with MobileMe" capability (bookmarks, dashboard, dock items, keychain, mail, notes, preferences). Made the process of setting up my back after a reload very efficient and easy.
I have had this service since it was iTools (in 2001), and somehow, I feel as though this next phase is a step back.

I fail to see how they cannot somehow implement a Gallery/iDisk/Synch feature, possibly even iWeb or an iBlog/Apple Blogging tool (considering everyone has 5GB of space).

Time will tell.

RangerOne
Jun 24, 2011, 01:44 PM
It's a shame that iWeb and Gallery won't be supported.

iWeb was insanely easy and convenient for beginners. Gallery was simply beautiful -- I hate the idea of using ugly Facebook/Flickr/etc. photo galleries.

The beauty of these products is that they were all integrated with Apple's iLife suite. My photos in iPhoto can easily be published to beautiful Galleries. Those same photos can be dropped right into iWeb pages and stylized. Apple letting third parties offer sub-par replacements to this kind of smooth integration is a disservice to customers.

iDisk seems like it would be replicated by "documents in the cloud." I live and die by iDisk -- I have 5 macs, 3 of which I use daily. Having right-there access to my files on every machine plus my iPad and iPhone is insanely useful. I have all my documents (except photos, videos, music) in iDisk.

diamond.g
Jun 24, 2011, 01:45 PM
Does anyone know if they are going to provide an update to make 10.5/10.6 compatible with iCloud, like they did MobileMe?

edwurtle
Jun 24, 2011, 01:45 PM
Screw that man... I m a long time dot mac user, first the dot mac album, and than the gallery, and now you wipe the gallery function off... totally WTF... and the thing is, is Apple think 5GB is enough for current dotmac and mobile me user? I have more than 8GB of files and mail in my iDisk already....

5GB is free and you will have the ability to buy more storage space for significantly less price then mobileme.

ginkobiloba
Jun 24, 2011, 01:51 PM
i don't care much for galleries/iweb/etc.. . No iDisk hurts, but i will get over it...

But..

No keychain sync ?? wow..

No bookmarks syncing ? double wow...Am i supposed to enter manually my Safari bookmarks on my iPhone each time i add one on my Mac ? Or do i have to go thru iTunes every time to sync bookmarks between my iPad and iPhone ?
That's sooo 5 year backwards . Very , Very strange decision by Apple.

Stella
Jun 24, 2011, 01:51 PM
I am very surprised to see no web space. Odd decision IMO.

edwurtle
Jun 24, 2011, 01:52 PM

This is all true, however many people have more content then iDevice small storage space. Once your content exceeds storage space of your smallest device, or storage space in iCloud the entire concept "everything is in sync and locally" goes up in flames.

PeterM11
Jun 24, 2011, 01:53 PM
i don't care much for galleries/iweb/etc.. . No iDisk hurts, but i will get over it...

But..

No keychain sync ?? wow..

No bookmarks syncing ? double wow...Am i supposed to enter manually my Safari bookmarks on my iPhone each time i add one on my Mac ? Or do i have to go thru iTunes every time to sync bookmarks between my iPad and iPhone ?
That's sooo 5 year backwards . Very , Very strange decision by Apple.

Bookmarks are clearly checked in the image. They will be staying.

maclaptop
Jun 24, 2011, 01:56 PM
Interesting about iDisk. I wonder what will happen there?

Apple probably realized they had no chance compared to Dropbox.

ginkobiloba
Jun 24, 2011, 01:59 PM
Bookmarks are clearly checked in the image. They will be staying.

ooops .. right.

Still, no keychain sync sucks..

I guess all this stuff that's gonna disappear can be more or less replaced by a multitude of services.. but that was the point of MobileMe for me. It was all regrouped pretty elegantly under one roof.

edwurtle
Jun 24, 2011, 02:03 PM
I have a feeling apple will bring back some of these features in a different way. Perhaps a separate new Gallery app that works with iCloud and provides a web interface to share your photos. Photostream would be used to ease syncing between devices. While a separate Gallery app implementing iCloud api to share photos via web interface. Apps like these would encourage users to upgrade iCloud 5GB storage.

Currently I haven't even seen a way to store videos directly on iCloud, but I'm sure apple will implement it into one or more of their apps.

hayesk
Jun 24, 2011, 02:04 PM

You should be ok because you can still use that address for iChat, AppleID on the store, iTunes, store, etc. even after you cancelled. Just don't forget the password after you cancel.

PeterM11
Jun 24, 2011, 02:11 PM
ooops .. right.

Still, no keychain sync sucks..

I guess all this stuff that's gonna disappear can be more or less replaced by a multitude of services.. but that was the point of MobileMe for me. It was all regrouped pretty elegantly under one roof.

I completely agree. I'll deal with it. I'll even grow to love iCloud I'm sure but this was kind of harsh. I loved MobileMe through all of it's problems because it just worked. I'm already in the Apple ecosystem and it just made it a tighter system. When I would tell people I paid $99 a year for it and they said why not just Google services for free? It's because of how clean MobileMe is. How it just works without me knowing. How it's simple without losing functionality. How it's just so Apple.

I kinda thought when iWeb didn't get updated in iLife it meant it was dying. Hoped I was wrong but knew it might be coming. Not sure what service I'll use now. Or what App. I'm sure iWeb as an App will be gone soon enough too. All I really use it for is a custom Start Page anyway.

iDisk leaving is also not very surprising but sad. It's been stated they'll offer more space so maybe Documents in the Cloud will work similarly. (Name isn't nearly as catchy though.)

Gallery is really a sad thing to hear about. I didn't really use it that much but when I did I loved it. And I loved being able to use it to just keep backups of all my photos.

As for keychain, system preferences, etc. sync. Now that was a shocker. Never expected that to leave. I've always heard people regarding it as one of the best feature of MobileMe.

ScottishDuck
Jun 24, 2011, 02:12 PM
They forgot:

Hacked by LulzSec ✓

jive turkey
Jun 24, 2011, 02:14 PM
Like so many, I am very disappointed that KeyChain sync is being dropped. I know there are a few third party apps available to do some of what KeyChain does (web logins for sure, IDK about app credentials, etc), and there will no doubt be more pop up. Perhaps I'm being a little paranoid, but with all the security breeches lately and with other crap going on (like developers mapping passwords and clouding it as "research"), I am not too keen on storing this info with a third party who I haven't had a long relationship with and is big enough to trust (like Apple). I have some very, very important details in Keychain that go way beyond login info for MacRumors or my PayPal account.

rmwebs
Jun 24, 2011, 02:15 PM
Dreamhost and 1and1 are two that I recommend. Dreamhost recently had a sale where you got unlimited hosting for a year and a free domain name for 9 bucks. I've been using them for a few months now and haven't had any issues.

Dreamhost have that offer on all the time and its been active for about 4 years now. They are also one of the wost hosts out there, closely followed by 1&1.

If you want hosting, get on WebHostingTalk, dont take advice without a backing of a large number of people...read reviews in the WHT forums.

dukeblue91
Jun 24, 2011, 02:27 PM
"Syncing of Mac Dashboard widgets, keychains, Dock items, and System Preferences will not be part of iCloud."

What the hell? Seriously? I use those features constantly.

Me too! This really sucks.

Morod
Jun 24, 2011, 02:28 PM

Umm, I have only one "device" my desktop iMac. This is the only "device" I want or need. Not being able to share photos with distant family members is bad news all the way around.

justinfreid
Jun 24, 2011, 02:33 PM

Those are both good questions.
For number 1, reading this page from Apple indicates that they haven't answered this question yet. I think the me.com to icloud.com transition will be fleshed out as things go forward, maybe this is one item that's up in the air. My bet is that your aliases will be transferred just as your main account will.

For number 2, I think this refers explicitly to auto-syncing of iWork documents, Apple hasn't alluded to DropBox-like (that is old iDisk-like) straight file syncing. They might add that functionality in, too, but it seems most of the files will tie in directly with apps.

maveness
Jun 24, 2011, 02:37 PM
Keychain sync is the single most useful thing about MobileMe. I am SHOCKED that it is being omitted from iCloud.

Starhawk
Jun 24, 2011, 02:38 PM

Ha, Peter, I am in exactly the same boat that you are, and I JUST asked Mobile Me support this exact questions. It took her a second to get what I was actually asking. She eventually understood but was not sure as more iCloud info hadn't officially been released yet.

But I'm thinking about doing just like you said.

1. Cancel Mobile Me account and get a partial refund.
2. Hopefully this will free up my me.com email address
3. Quickly sign up my main Apple ID with iCloud and grab my me.com email again.

I keep thinking the main reason they can't "merge" the two accounts is that they are assuming there are purchases and other info in BOTH accounts. I just want to move my me.com email address over, that's it. I have all my purchases on my main Apple ID and do not need to merge anything.

Send them some feedback about this: http://www.apple.com/feedback/mobileme.html I did.

Eduardo1971
Jun 24, 2011, 02:40 PM

Gosh-I'm also going to miss gallery. So simple and elegant.

I'm both sad and bugged.:(:mad:

mdelvecchio
Jun 24, 2011, 02:50 PM

why cant you continue using your iWeb and publish to a different host?

or use dreamweaver?

zim
Jun 24, 2011, 02:51 PM
:eek::confused::(

I had high expectations for iCloud and am trying to keep them but this listing of stuff not carrying over has me down. I feel like iCloud isn't going to make my life any easier and dread gong back to the manual syncing of my three machines.... ugh!

Sigh.. now that I think of it.. I use all the MobileMe features.. iDisk on a daily basis, gallery monthly, sync every hour, the basic Web hosting for quick stuff.

Also just remembered that I have 4 alias to my email account.. please Apple show some kindness.. you made our lives so much easier by giving us stuff we didn't even know we wanted and now you are taking them away!!!

scottwaugh
Jun 24, 2011, 02:52 PM
As a long time MobileMe user with iWeb it is dissapointing today the least. I have a lot of websites hosted on my mobile me storage space, I was happy paying for the service for over 10 years and now it feels like Apple are rewarding users of their mobile me iDisk and iWeb programmes with a big finger.....

iCloud is wonderful, but it should not be to th detriment of existing loyal users.

I agree. I keep hoping that they'll have something in iCloud to cover it but it seems like its gone, have to host it somewhere else.

Regarding Apple and giving its users a big finger - I don't think they are doing it on purpose, but they do this kind of thing constantly. Once they see a new vista they want to go to they throw existing customers under the bus without pause (or much thought apparently). Its an issue of their corporate personality - as they could do things so much better and make more money in the end (and goodwill).

Some examples, just go ask the current Final Cut Pro professional users (i.e. folks that have multi-user workflow environments for FCP) who can't get a copy of the old Final Cut Studio (Apple has bought up all the copies from the retail channel - so if you waited to see what the new one was like and decided you wanted to get another copy of FCP 7 you can't) even though the new Final Cut Pro isn't capable of working in a professional multiuser environment anymore or ask the G5 PowerPC users who figured they'd get the 64 bit Snow Leopard since their G5's were 64 bit and it was talked about early on or ask the G5 PowerPC users who thought they could get a copy of Leopard (the last PowerPC Mac OS) after Snow Leopard was released (Apple bought up existing copies of Leopard from the channel on Snow Leopard release day and the price for Leopard on eBay went to 3 times retail price at one point cause the guys still running Tiger couldn't get Leopard in the retail channel).

back off tangent...

mdelvecchio
Jun 24, 2011, 02:52 PM
its odd the Apple PR would tell him one thing, and then today announce something different. They could have said their usual "No Comment" remark instead of lying to Josh.

how do you know they lied? maybe they were misinformed, maybe things changed, or maybe he got it wrong. but lying? youd have to know more than you do to believe that.

PeterM11
Jun 24, 2011, 02:54 PM
Ha, Peter, I am in exactly the same boat that you are, and I JUST asked Mobile Me support this exact questions. It took her a second to get what I was actually asking. She eventually understood but was not sure as more iCloud info hadn't officially been released yet.

But I'm thinking about doing just like you said.

1. Cancel Mobile Me account and get a partial refund.
2. Hopefully this will free up my me.com email address
3. Quickly sign up my main Apple ID with iCloud and grab my me.com email again.

I keep thinking the main reason they can't "merge" the two accounts is that they are assuming there are purchases and other info in BOTH accounts. I just want to move my me.com email address over, that's it. I have all my purchases on my main Apple ID and do not need to merge anything.

Send them some feedback about this: http://www.apple.com/feedback/mobileme.html I did.

Yeah, we're definitely in the exact same boat. I think I'll just go the route of using an itunes.xyz@me.com or maybe just apple.xyz.com instead though. I'm worried if I cancel my MobileMe it might still keep the address tangled up and won't allow someone else (in this case the same person) to take that name. Maybe if someone did it successfully but I'm a bit too cautious to try it.

RTee
Jun 24, 2011, 02:55 PM
MYOB has a save to mobile me - idisk option which we use everyday to store our backups, this will be missed!

kurzz
Jun 24, 2011, 03:02 PM
Yeah, we're definitely in the exact same boat. I think I'll just go the route of using an itunes.xyz@me.com or maybe just apple.xyz.com instead though. I'm worried if I cancel my MobileMe it might still keep the address tangled up and won't allow someone else (in this case the same person) to take that name. Maybe if someone did it successfully but I'm a bit too cautious to try it.

I would not try that now. Apparently all the mobile me addresses and aliases are frozen until the launch of icloud this fall. i.e. currently we can't add or delete any aliases.

Dr McKay
Jun 24, 2011, 03:10 PM
Im really hating the idea of this iCloud transition.

VulchR
Jun 24, 2011, 03:13 PM
Apple's PR machine should get its finger out of its backside and start explaining. I used a lot of features of MobileMe and I'm annoyed that it appears some of them have been canceled but that we can't really tell yet because the FAQ are seemingly self-contradictory.

For example:

You will be able to continue using MobileMe iDisk through June 30, 2012, even after moving to iCloud. You should save copies of all files stored on iDisk before that date. Please read this article for details...
Other MobileMe services that are not transitioning to iCloud (iWeb publishing, Gallery, and iDisk) will continue to be available through June 30, 2012, even after you move to iCloud.

vs

iCloud includes 5GB of free storage for mail, documents, and backup, which should be enough for most users. Purchased music, apps, and books do not count against this 5GB of storage, nor do the photos in your Photo Stream. If you still need more storage, you will be able to buy it. Details will be provided when iCloud is available this fall.

Seriously, huh?

I wonder if this is Apple's way of locking us into using iWork and Apple devices only. In effect, synching could mean that iCloud doesn't allow transfer of files via a web interface, which is essential if one is using Windows or using shared machines. If so, iCloud can go somewhere and evaporate for all I will care... what a fail. :mad:@:apple:

haydn!
Jun 24, 2011, 03:28 PM
Umm, I have only one "device" my desktop iMac. This is the only "device" I want or need. Not being able to share photos with distant family members is bad news all the way around.

So are you not capable of using Flickr, Facebook, and the countless other online photo sharing sites?

mdelvecchio
Jun 24, 2011, 03:38 PM
Im really hating the idea of this iCloud transition.

change sucks, huh?

Morod
Jun 24, 2011, 03:45 PM
So are you not capable of using Flickr, Facebook, and the countless other online photo sharing sites?

I have a Photobucket account right now, but comparing it or Flickr to MM Gallery is apples to oranges in the display, presentation, and ease of use.

thesaint580
Jun 24, 2011, 03:56 PM
I think SJ and Apple are starting to lose their minds. I never can trust Apple from here on that a feature now in iCloud will be available in 2014/2015. This is just a plain simple slap on the face for people who paid for a $99 service.

kurzz
Jun 24, 2011, 04:02 PM
I think SJ and Apple are starting to lose their minds. I never can trust Apple from here on that a feature now in iCloud will be available in 2014/2015. This is just a plain simple slap on the face for people who paid for a $99 service.

That $99 is for a year, not until the end of the universe.

thesaint580
Jun 24, 2011, 04:10 PM
That $99 is for a year, not until the end of the universe.

I dont care about $99. I still am ready to pay $99 for iCloud. What I am trying to convey is the transition or whatever they call has to be done in a proper way. I have been using MobileMe since day one and the money that I was paying for was Gallery, Keychain, iDisk and hosting. Now, Apple is asking us to take it or leave it. There are no options from Apple and that is why I am frustrated.

1984world
Jun 24, 2011, 04:10 PM
What if i would be happy to pay for the mobileme-features they are canceling?!
I would pay $10 a year for a great photogallery function added to my iCloud-account. Just give us a way to expand the iCloud-features by paying for it. Not everything has to be for free, but cancelling the features is just a loss of good products.

You can pay 5$ a year with google to get web storage. Put all photos in picasa and upload. Then get the mypics app on itunes-this is what I do, and it works great! You can even add multiple gmail accounts to have photos from different users. good times.

wolfpackfan
Jun 24, 2011, 04:11 PM
I am having a hard time understanding the backlash on Gallery, iDisk maybe yes, but Gallery? I have been a long time user of Picasa and have never found Gallery anywhere close in features. Now iDisk I will miss but I also use Dropbox, so I'll just use iCloud for my iWorks files and Dropbox for everything else. No big deal IMO. Plus it's now all free.

dethmaShine
Jun 24, 2011, 04:11 PM
I agree completely. I would expand #2 and say the entire "Synchronize with MobileMe" capability (bookmarks, dashboard, dock items, keychain, mail, notes, preferences). Made the process of setting up my back after a reload very efficient and easy.
I have had this service since it was iTools (in 2001), and somehow, I feel as though this next phase is a step back.

I fail to see how they cannot somehow implement a Gallery/iDisk/Synch feature, possibly even iWeb or an iBlog/Apple Blogging tool (considering everyone has 5GB of space).

Time will tell.

With you on that.

I don't synchronise dock items but that's about. Almost everything else is synchronised for e.g. Preferences, Keychains, dashboard, etc. I am quite devastated with Apple doing this to the present users.

The good thing? I am a paid MobileMe user and will have access to these services for the next 1 year or so. Maybe they implement something good in b/w so that these things become possible with OS X. :)

NAG
Jun 24, 2011, 04:34 PM
I'm mixed about them removing some of the syncing features. I'm not surprised though. Beyond Job's war on the word "sync", the syncing features were pretty buggy. Preferences never worked. It routinely corrupted them. Keychains were corrupted occasionally. Dock and Dashboard were okay but I can live without it. Good thing I recently switched back over to 1Password (I've been unlinking myself from MobileMe ever since I heard the it was being killed...apparently I correctly predicted that the only things to make the cut from MobileMe would be the stuff that your iOS devices can use too...although I'm happy about Back to My Mac not dying).

I do hope that they explain what iCloud Documents is. All we know is that it is magic. Sigh. I'm not expecting you to ever be able to use it in Finder but it would be nice to know if we can use a share link like iDisk so you don't have to email a huge document.

Apple's PR machine should get its finger out of its backside and start explaining. I used a lot of features of MobileMe and I'm annoyed that it appears some of them have been canceled but that we can't really tell yet because the FAQ are seemingly self-contradictory.

For example:

You will be able to continue using MobileMe iDisk through June 30, 2012, even after moving to iCloud. You should save copies of all files stored on iDisk before that date. Please read this article for details...
Other MobileMe services that are not transitioning to iCloud (iWeb publishing, Gallery, and iDisk) will continue to be available through June 30, 2012, even after you move to iCloud.

vs

iCloud includes 5GB of free storage for mail, documents, and backup, which should be enough for most users. Purchased music, apps, and books do not count against this 5GB of storage, nor do the photos in your Photo Stream. If you still need more storage, you will be able to buy it. Details will be provided when iCloud is available this fall.

Seriously, huh?

I wonder if this is Apple's way of locking us into using iWork and Apple devices only. In effect, synching could mean that iCloud doesn't allow transfer of files via a web interface, which is essential if one is using Windows or using shared machines. If so, iCloud can go somewhere and evaporate for all I will care... what a fail. :mad:@:apple:

What is contradictory there? Paragraph one says remove your stuff from iDisk and Gallery before you transition. Paragraph two says your new iCloud account will have 5Gb standard. Things like Photostream and iTunes downloads won't count to the 5Gb but things like iCloud documents and Mail will.

As far as locking you in, we have any info about if iCloud Documents has APIs for Windows? If not, it still isn't a lock in. They aren't holding your stuff hostage. You can put it all in Drop Box if you want even if you've transitioned to iCloud.

Henk Poley
Jun 24, 2011, 04:44 PM
I wonder if they make a deal with Yahoo / Google or somesuch to host the existing galleries and websites. There are a lot of mom and pop shops and small projects on .mac websites.

neko girl
Jun 24, 2011, 04:44 PM
I don't understand 5 GB for "backup". The smallest mobile device I have is 16 GB, so what does that mean?

NAG
Jun 24, 2011, 05:15 PM
I don't understand 5 GB for "backup". The smallest mobile device I have is 16 GB, so what does that mean?

iOS backups are pretty much only app data and system settings (not to be confused with the actual apps). This is because all your music and stuff are located on your mac anyway so a backup would be redundant. This carries over to iCloud where it is assumed that all your music and apps and stuff will already be in iCloud anyway since they're in the various stores. So this leaves the app data, i.e. if you make a document in Pages that will be backed up but the Pages app will not (because it is in the App Store anyway). Or if you have a game, the saved games will be backed up. This drastically decreases the size needed for a backup. Most apps have very little data that is backed up (some are quite large, such as Papers or other PDF reader apps).

So you'll probably be just fine as far as backups unless you have a lot of apps like that or a lot of iOS devices on one iCloud account.

rtdunham
Jun 24, 2011, 05:25 PM
...I'm already in the Apple ecosystem and (MM) just made it a tighter system...As for keychain, system preferences, etc. sync. Now that was a shocker. Never expected that to leave. I've always heard people regarding it as one of the best feature of MobileMe.

It seems to me the absence of those features will cause some people to defer buying new computers. Wouldn't the absence of those features make setting up a new computer--pretty much a piece of cake, right now--a more annoying, time-consuming process?

Reach9
Jun 24, 2011, 05:38 PM
no iDisk?! And is Documents in Cloud the same thing? I'm guessing not since it can only do Office documents. What about .pdf, and other quick files i use? iDisk was the BEST feature of MobileMe, how could they remove it? I really hope Apple adds iDisk features to Documents in Cloud, or else i'm moving to DropBox.

I really don't see any point in using iCloud now, except keeping iOS backups, and Apps.

PlaceofDis
Jun 24, 2011, 05:45 PM
its a shame that we're losing some features, but i always found the MM galleries to load slowly and never used them. iDisk has always been sloooooow, so unless they fixed that there'd be no reason to keep it either, dropbox is faster and better imo.

the whole file sharing thing needs to be clarified though. asap.

Chris Tilton
Jun 24, 2011, 05:59 PM
The exclusion of iDisk is very disappointing. It is an essential part of my workflow. When a client has to give me a 1GB quicktime, for example, I know that if he puts it on my iDisk, my Mac will auto-sync and it'll be ready to go when I get into my studio. It is also an essential part of getting audio to my music editor, and vice versa.

Another extremely useful feature was the iDisk app on my iphone. If he had to edit a fix of my music, for example, he'll put up a quicktime of the scene and the edited music on my idisk. Use the app on my iPhone while I'm out and about to view and approve or request changes. For me, it was THE best thing about MobileMe/.Mac/etc.

If Apple is getting rid of it, and not offering any kind of replacement, that is going to be really infuriating.

maclaptop
Jun 24, 2011, 06:26 PM
It does seem like Apple is going about this in a rather odd way. I've read everything I could find, as well as performing a few very comprehensive searches. Long story short, I believe that we won't know the real story until we've transitioned. One constant is Apple saying we can buy additional storage at a price to be announced when I cloud goes live for the public. This certainly seems to indicate their desire to recoup much of that $99. we were paying for mobile me. Yet I wouldn't mind if we weren't losing some of the best aspects like keychain etc. Really makes one wonder just what Apple is, or isn't thinking. As far as them adding these back later on, that doesn't help those of us who have a need for it immediately after they shut down mobile me.

I agree with an earlier post, I doubt they are intentionally trying to screw us, but they are nonetheless.

What is Apple thinking? Where are they going? (besides to the bank with our money). Yikes!

MacFly123
Jun 24, 2011, 06:37 PM

So no iDisk?

Fine. No problem.

I use iDisk all the time with video clients to send files and previews etc. I don't think documents in the cloud will be like iDisk. It sounded like it will just sync iWork documents between devices.

I hope I am wrong! Has anyone seen or heard anything on that?

Me too. I use it for my portfolio site. Simple and elegant, all I need!

Is there an app for the Mac that is like iMovie? Simple with nice templates and maybe some customization?

I know I will still have the iWeb app, but who knows how long it will be supported with Lion and in the future.

Ditto!

Also, aren't the iDevices with iOS5 going to backup when they sync wirelessly to iTunes now? If so why are we also backing up wirelessly to iCloud all the time? Is it just meant to be a 2nd back up off site incase our Mac or the hard drive bites the dust? Or is it mainly just for people that use iDevices and have no Mac or computer? Seems like that would take up a lot of the space from that free 5 GB and I don't wanna have to buy more storage unless I really need to for some reason!

P.S. What about notes??? Anyone seen or heard anything about syncing notes? I use that and I haven't heard any mention :(

P.P.S. Really hoping we see 1080p movie content on iTunes soon with an Apple TV update and apps or AirPlaying mirrored apps and iTunes & iCloud support for video content as well! I know Apple is working on getting the licenses right now, I just hope we see it soon! It would be great if they updated iTunes Extras to support multiple audio tracks and subtitles etc. and when you buy or rent a movie it just quickly downloads the Extras file so the menu and structure come up, and then whenever you click to play a movie or special features it just starts streaming 1080p from the iTunes cloud! THAT is what I want :)

Rend It
Jun 24, 2011, 07:32 PM
I can't help but be really annoyed at the way Apple is handling this. The integration of iDisk into the Mac and iOS UIs gave me nearly all of the perceived benefits of iCloud, without having to worry about which developers of all of the various apps I use support file syncing. How long will it take the folks at Wolfram, or Adobe, or Nemetschek to put the "Documents in the Cloud" API into their apps? Not to mention MS, who seem to take forever to make any change at all.

Maybe Apple has been convinced that the change is easy and a plurality of developers have expressed their commitment to integrating the APIs. But, it reminds me of AirPrint. A whopping 27 printers support it, and they're all from HP! Perhaps developers will say, "iCloud is a bag of hurt". :rolleyes:

PCClone
Jun 24, 2011, 07:56 PM

Gmail is not brilliant.

PCClone
Jun 24, 2011, 07:58 PM
Keychain sync is the single most useful thing about MobileMe. I am SHOCKED that it is being omitted from iCloud.

Never used it. Email access from anywhere is more important.

PCClone
Jun 24, 2011, 07:59 PM
I can't help but be really annoyed at the way Apple is handling this. The integration of iDisk into the Mac and iOS UIs gave me nearly all of the perceived benefits of iCloud, without having to worry about which developers of all of the various apps I use support file syncing. How long will it take the folks at Wolfram, or Adobe, or Nemetschek to put the "Documents in the Cloud" API into their apps? Not to mention MS, who seem to take forever to make any change at all.

Maybe Apple has been convinced that the change is easy and a plurality of developers have expressed their commitment to integrating the APIs. But, it reminds me of AirPrint. A whopping 27 printers support it, and they're all from HP! Perhaps developers will say, "iCloud is a bag of hurt". :rolleyes:

I recall SJ saying that app data would be in the cloud, not just iworks.

Rend It
Jun 24, 2011, 08:05 PM

I recall SJ saying that app data would be in the cloud, not just iworks.

The data and docs will be in iCloud, but only if the developers write in support for it. It's not automatic with Lion or the iCloud launch. This is SJ trying to kill all remnants of the concept of a file system. The apps are supposed to handle versioning, backup, and syncing themselves — not the operating system.

Or, at least that's the impression I got from WWDC.

Wild-Bill
Jun 24, 2011, 08:22 PM

Completely disappointed in Apple for their extremely dumb decision to get rid of MobileMe galleries. It's one of my most used features! I use it at least once a week to create galleries for friends & family. I can't BELIEVE they are getting rid of it!!!!!

I bet the person who decided to get rid of MobileMe galleries is the same person responsible for the Final CutX fiasco.

I'm going to submit feedback to Apple every day until 30 June 2012.

PeterM11
Jun 24, 2011, 08:56 PM
Semi-related topic:

Anyone know of a good alternative to the iWeb app?
I've tried Rapidweaver but would prefer something with a drag-and-drop design like iWeb. I know you can get those add-on things for Rapidweaver to be able to do that but I don't want have to pay that much for a simple feature.
I don't really need anything too fancy but don't want crapware either.
I mainly use iWeb for ideas of websites I might want to make someday (meaning I would probably use iWeb to use them though I guess) and for my custom start page attached below. I have to admit, I'm pretty proud of it. :p Simple yet useful. Links to all of my common used sites.
So anyone know of a good alternative?

Rocketboyo93
Jun 24, 2011, 09:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple wins. Again.

Ed State
Jun 24, 2011, 09:42 PM
From the site:

GAH!!! I am SICK of signing into iTunes with my old gmail address!!

I have THREE "Apple IDs" and it sucks. An old-old email address for iTunes, an even older one for AD, and I made the mistake of using my MobileMe ID for Ping and the App Store. And I'm f'd.

I've been through all the tiers of MobileMe and iTunes support and they simply won't merge accounts. There is no remedy for us, and I know a bunch of people in the same boat. There has to be tens of thousands affected by this Apple ID stupidity.

Funny, because Xbox Live lets you do that, easily. I just did. Bam! All under one ID. You can even change your gamertag if you want.

Grrr.

Rend It
Jun 24, 2011, 10:05 PM

From the site:

GAH!!! I am SICK of signing into iTunes with my old gmail address!!

I have THREE "Apple IDs" and it sucks. An old-old email address for iTunes, an even older one for AD, and I made the mistake of using my MobileMe ID for Ping and the App Store. And I'm f'd.

I've been through all the tiers of MobileMe and iTunes support and they simply won't merge accounts. There is no remedy for us, and I know a bunch of people in the same boat. There has to be tens of thousands affected by this Apple ID stupidity.

Funny, because Xbox Live lets you do that, easily. I just did. Bam! All under one ID. You can even change your gamertag if you want.

Grrr.

This, coupled with the end of iDisk and Gallery makes me really wonder what is going on at Apple. None of these actions make life simpler for end users. Remember "It just works"?

If, by June 2012, something like 80% of iOS and OS X apps support iCloud, then I won't be so adamant about the end of iDisk. Maybe that's their plan, and if devs don't support it in droves, they'll extend the cut-off date.

admanimal
Jun 24, 2011, 10:13 PM

Supporting iCloud storage in an app is trivial. Comparing the number of developers that will support a simple software feature like iCloud in their apps to the number of huge printer companies that have decided to support a specialized protocol in their devices makes no sense.

Also keep in mind that this only pertains to apps that want to allow their data to be shared across devices. Backing up app data from a particular device to iCloud as part of the normal device backup process doesn't require any work for developers.

Rend It
Jun 24, 2011, 11:09 PM
Supporting iCloud storage in an app is trivial. Comparing the number of developers that will support a simple software feature like iCloud in their apps to the number of huge printer companies that have decided to support a specialized protocol in their devices makes no sense.

Also keep in mind that this only pertains to apps that want to allow their data to be shared across devices. Backing up app data from a particular device to iCloud as part of the normal device backup process doesn't require any work for developers.

Yeah, it's not a direct comparison. I think the AirPrint problem is mainly an intellectual property/licensing issue (there was another post today on the Front page about this and Thunderbolt). But, some of the iCloud announcements have a tinge of what was presented with AirPrint's debut — how great it was going to be — and then later everyone realized it wasn't as broadly useful as Apple made it sound originally.

I care less about backup, because iCloud only backs up iOS devices. The stuff I'm losing along with iDisk is syncing non-mainstream machine design files across several Macs. Another file type I am curious about is .pdf. What app will take care of syncing and backing up pdfs? iBooks? There's no OS X equivalent to iBooks. Preview perhaps? Safari?

iDisk is just one of several MM features that a lot of people are going to miss (Back to my Mac, Gallery, etc.).

lhotka
Jun 24, 2011, 11:29 PM
yes, if you read the OP you will it's moving to iCloud.

Back to my mac is not mentioned in the OP at all.

scschulte
Jun 25, 2011, 01:30 AM
Sorry not sure how to reply without adding the quote - but just want to say that I agree 100% and hope some type of paid iCloud opportunity will be offered.

djgamble
Jun 25, 2011, 01:59 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why is it that the word cloud is now used to describe 30+ year old technology as if it is a new amazing thing?

rellimie
Jun 25, 2011, 02:15 AM
Semi-related topic:

I've tried Rapidweaver but would prefer something with a drag-and-drop design like iWeb. I know you can get those add-on things for Rapidweaver to be able to do that but I don't want have to pay that much for a simple feature.
I don't really need anything too fancy but don't want crapware either.
I mainly use iWeb for ideas of websites I might want to make someday (meaning I would probably use iWeb to use them though I guess) and for my custom start page attached below. I have to admit, I'm pretty proud of it. :p Simple yet useful. Links to all of my common used sites.
So anyone know of a good alternative?

The iWeb program in iLife is compatible with any hosting service that supports FTP. Just find a new hosting service. I use iWeb all the time for blog publishing but do not have a MobileMe account.

Jowl
Jun 25, 2011, 04:58 AM

Excellent idea. I would be happy to pay apple for galleries (and more storage). It would be crazy to not offer this

Jowl
Jun 25, 2011, 05:03 AM
Gmail is not brilliant.

I've never had trouble with google Apps. It lets me easily use my domain with e mail and calendars etc.

The contact sync isn't great which I one of the reasons I stuck with MobileMe.

niallstarling
Jun 25, 2011, 05:28 AM
Excellent idea. I would be happy to pay apple for galleries (and more storage). It would be crazy to not offer this

What I think is weird is that Apple are dropping the features of MobileMe that allows you to share things with others - Galleries, iWeb, iDisc. Photo streaming is the last 1000 photos, so not so useful to share certain photos. iCloud is getting data to all devices, with no known features to allow public sharing.

Perhaps it comes, but seems an odd thing to drop. :confused:

JohnDoe98
Jun 25, 2011, 05:55 AM
What isn't clear is if they are dropping those features permanently. They claim those features will not be part of icloud this fall. Will they be back later this year, before june 2012?

chadley_chad
Jun 25, 2011, 05:59 AM
Nice one Apple, take away the only two things that made me pay for mobile me in the first place (iWeb and galleries).

Lack of support for user do it yourself creative stuff (like iWeb, FCP etc) shows Apple either thinks we're all dummies and/or doesn't so wants to control us anyway.

The loss of passion for Apple, already going down, just started going down faster!

Hopefully when Jobs departs we'll see some more creativity ... because product aesthetics aside, Apple lost the innovative, cutting edge new to market ideas a long time ago!

Ed91
Jun 25, 2011, 06:39 AM

Image (http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/2772/screenshot20110624at104.png)

The wording doesn't really tell us anything that goes against what Josh said.. Web access to iCloud Mail, Contacts, Calendar, and Find My iPhone will be available at icloud.com this fall.

It's already known that MobileMe services are set to continue until mid 2012. The statement Apple made does nothing to assure the future of the web clients beyond MobileMe.

That said, I'm probably reading too much into this.

shervieux
Jun 25, 2011, 09:42 AM

this one was suggested to me by some pastors and friends in the ministry for their music. http://hostexcellence.com They are out of Nashville, TN.

So far no problems and the people who suggested it said they never experienced any significant down times and are easy to work with.

Yeah it is a shame about MobileMe hosting. I am also in the process of evaluating Sandvox for design. So far what I like about Sandvox is if you switch themes, your pages do not become distorted stacking information on top of each other. I have 2 websites. 1 is for my business, one for my ministry. I am looking at wordpress for my ministry one, as I may only just keep the blogs.

Shame about Gallery too. I am looking into SmugMug. At least with SmugMug, they provide better security against people just copying your pics and you can set a margin if anyone wants to buy (so you make a profit). SmugMug also has unlimited storage and the PRO account offers SmugVault that allows you to upload and store your RAW, DNG, and PSD file types as a backup. No one can access your SmugVault except you.

twoodcc
Jun 25, 2011, 09:57 AM
not really surprised here. i'm ok with this

shervieux
Jun 25, 2011, 10:08 AM
This is becoming a sad day.

1. goodbye Galleries
2. goodbye iDisk
3. goodbye web hosting.
4. Goodbye web interface when you are at another location and do not have your ipad or laptop with you and there are only windows applications around.
5. Lion and new iWork hinting at goodbye file structures and all documents will be stored within the application. So much for grouping all docs by project (emails, word docs, spreadsheets, other documents from other apps).
6. App Store only software (if they get rid of file structures then 3rd party software not on the app store may become the thing of the past). This is not happening YET. However while Jobs said you can still have 3rd party software installed the traditional way; he did say that file structures are going to go away eventually.

What is even more hinting at Apple becoming more closed environment is developers also now offering Windows applications for once only mac apps (ie Mariner Software is now in beta with Paperless for Windows - just to name one).

I am surprised how many schools are going back to Windows software for their video editing / photo, broadcasting, desktop publishing, etc. Reason - they can get custom high end machines (32 cores, 60gb ram) for less or about the same as a super high end Mac Pro. Plus there is some real nice apps that came out that blow away what is on the mac.

I said I would remain on Apple (now that I am Apple only since 2008) unless they started doing stupid things. My Windows fanboys are pointing out some nice things in 7 and those who are beta'ing 8 have really shown me some nice stuff.

Not so sure I am liking the future. I am also one who does not trust this cloud for security reasons.

Also I no longer work with iphoto - publishing to FB does not work all the time, even with the latest updates; iphoto lost some of my photos and now I only have a thumbnail. I did not notice it until my older backups in time machine were already over written.

One other thing that ticks me off, is some of the software no longer works with the latest Snow Leopard Patch. I tried to re-install and it said "Not compatible with this operating system" This was an older version of Aperture and Final Cut, but not that old that would warrant me to upgrade just yet (budget).
:(

swissmann
Jun 25, 2011, 10:46 AM

I've used Rapid Weaver a bit (but not in the last 5 years or so). I see some limitations.
http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/overview/
I've looked at sandvox which looks a lot like iWeb. I haven't used it though yet.
http://www.karelia.com/sandvox/
I didn't use either of these because iWeb was so easy.

Regarding other posts. I have used SmugMug and overall I liked them. I don't use them anymore because my sales were low and Mobile Me worked great.

I've dabbled in using Hype http://www.tumultco.com/hype/ which seems brilliant at what it does with a lot of room for growth.

Of course I've done old school layered photoshop files, slicing it up, and bringing it into dreamweaver but this is kind of a slow and painful process.

I was hoping that iCloud would beef up their web hosting features and that iWeb would follow suit. Keep the easy design process. Add in auto HTML 5 coding. Have some templates for common web forms. Link together with Filemaker for online forms. Support things like PHP. Automatically optimizes the site for when an iPhone looks at it and gives a mobile alternative.

I just don't see a solution out there that says just put it together visually and the program takes care of all the nitty gritty.

I guess things like facebook are too big and even though limiting for what I would like to do fit most people's needs. Seems like Apple is throwing in the towel on this one.

Thanks for all the suggestions on web hosting sites and other solutions. This is what I got from you so far:
http://www.site5.com/
http://www.squarespace.com/
http://www.hostgator.com/
http://www.dropbox.com/
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

birch25
Jun 25, 2011, 11:46 AM
Exactly mine and many others situation summed up.

I do not understand how Apple are abandoning a paid service that many customers are happy and willing to pay, for a 'free' service without the option at least for upgradeable tiered service. Penalise those that are giving us money, to offer a somewhat dumbed down service to those that are not. How is this business sense is beyond me.

They are abandoning a product that most people do not like. The percentage of Mac users who have a MobileMe subscription is tiny. Apple is creating a new service (built on top of some of MobileMe's better features) that they expect to draw in more people. If iCloud is a hit, Apple will sell more Macs, iPads, iPhones and iPods which will gain them more money as well.

It's also certain that iCloud will be updated to include new features in the future. I would fully expect them to implement some of the lost features. They're just not there yet.

mazurka
Jun 25, 2011, 02:09 PM
So do I. Though I use an external host, hundreds of thousands of small businesses must be heavily reliant on the app itself, which now looks like it won't be updated. Such a shame. Just the thought of going back to Dreamweaver gives me a headache.

pmz
Jun 26, 2011, 12:52 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

You obviously don't get it.

People are pissed, for good reason. I'm one of them. iCloud is fine, but so far it's worse than MobileMe and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd rather pay for MobileMe than have iclod for free.

I use iDisk and Gallery because they're unique and insanely useful. So do hundreds of thousands of others.

Just deleting our $&@% is really, really $&@%#€.

pmz
Jun 26, 2011, 12:55 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

This is becoming a sad day.

1. goodbye Galleries
2. goodbye iDisk
3. goodbye web hosting.
4. Goodbye web interface when you are at another location and do not have your ipad or laptop with you and there are only windows applications around.
5. Lion and new iWork hinting at goodbye file structures and all documents will be stored within the application. So much for grouping all docs by project (emails, word docs, spreadsheets, other documents from other apps).
6. App Store only software (if they get rid of file structures then 3rd party software not on the app store may become the thing of the past). This is not happening YET. However while Jobs said you can still have 3rd party software installed the traditional way; he did say that file structures are going to go away eventually.

What is even more hinting at Apple becoming more closed environment is developers also now offering Windows applications for once only mac apps (ie Mariner Software is now in beta with Paperless for Windows - just to name one).

I am surprised how many schools are going back to Windows software for their video editing / photo, broadcasting, desktop publishing, etc. Reason - they can get custom high end machines (32 cores, 60gb ram) for less or about the same as a super high end Mac Pro. Plus there is some real nice apps that came out that blow away what is on the mac.

I said I would remain on Apple (now that I am Apple only since 2008) unless they started doing stupid things. My Windows fanboys are pointing out some nice things in 7 and those who are beta'ing 8 have really shown me some nice stuff.

Not so sure I am liking the future. I am also one who does not trust this cloud for security reasons.

Also I no longer work with iphoto - publishing to FB does not work all the time, even with the latest updates; iphoto lost some of my photos and now I only have a thumbnail. I did not notice it until my older backups in time machine were already over written.

One other thing that ticks me off, is some of the software no longer works with the latest Snow Leopard Patch. I tried to re-install and it said "Not compatible with this operating system" This was an older version of Aperture and Final Cut, but not that old that would warrant me to upgrade just yet (budget).
:(

Honestly you sound like you have no idea what you're doing, and there's not a damn thing in windows 7 or 8 even remotely interesting. It's garbage.

iPhoto "deleted" some photos? Lol guess again.

scuac
Jun 26, 2011, 01:46 PM
So do I. Though I use an external host, hundreds of thousands of small businesses must be heavily reliant on the app itself, which now looks like it won't be updated. Such a shame. Just the thought of going back to Dreamweaver gives me a headache.

Ok, I might be not reading the news correctly, but I have seen many comments here (including the one I am quoting) that seem to imply that Apple is doing away with the iWeb application (the one that comes with iLife). I have not found this in any Apple announcement, only that the iWeb publishing service from MobileMe is being canceled.

Did Apple actually say they are discontinuing the iWeb app?

MacBoobsPro
Jun 26, 2011, 01:57 PM
Well that Apple Doc just creates more questions?!

I use iDisk to host my website. Apparently iDisk won't be available anymore yet I can use iDisk "through" June 2012. What the hell does 'through' mean? Through to, through and beyond, through till the end, through what? If you go 'through' something you go beyond that point. What is it Apple. iDisk or no iDisk?

They really do piss me off at times!

dlsife
Jun 26, 2011, 02:24 PM
I'll bet there's some form of Galleries that makes it into the final product. I have a hard time believing that they'll abandon that outright.

steadysignal
Jun 26, 2011, 04:23 PM

and should continue to be.

keep your data off their servers as best you can...

osxhero
Jun 26, 2011, 07:50 PM
Can't wait to move to iCloud.

hitekalex
Jun 26, 2011, 08:02 PM
I'll bet there's some form of Galleries that makes it into the final product. I have a hard time believing that they'll abandon that outright.

I believe it. These days, most people share their photos on social media (Facebook), and there is always Flickr and Picasa for 'heavy duty' sharing. I am sure Apple has done their research and concluded that the amount of people using MM Gallery is miniscule.

Simon2206
Jun 27, 2011, 04:59 AM
Does anyone know if iCloud will include syncing of the Notes app :confused: I have this switched on with the MobileMe account and it's great for sharing shopping lists and other random notes between mine and my wife's iPhones !!

bergmef
Jun 27, 2011, 07:04 AM
Anyone use smugmug? That's who I'm looking at for a replacement to galleries.

niallstarling
Jun 27, 2011, 07:45 AM
Ok, I might be not reading the news correctly, but I have seen many comments here (including the one I am quoting) that seem to imply that Apple is doing away with the iWeb application (the one that comes with iLife). I have not found this in any Apple announcement, only that the iWeb publishing service from MobileMe is being canceled.

Did Apple actually say they are discontinuing the iWeb app?

Fromn the Aperture site on apple.com it seems clear they are not continuing Galleries:

"Export. Easy.
When you’re ready to share your photos, you can send them to Flickr or Facebook with a couple of clicks. Or take advantage of a variety of export plug-ins to upload photos directly to sites including SmugMug, iStockphoto, and PhotoShelter. Because Aperture is integrated with the Mac OS X Media Browser, you can easily include photos from your library in iLife or iWork documents. Or make them “to go” by syncing them to your iPhone, iPod, or Apple TV"

MobileMe and Galleries references taken out. No reference at all to iCloud

Also, they didn't update iWeb at all last time, so safe to say it's going...

scuac
Jun 27, 2011, 08:45 AM
Fromn the Aperture site on apple.com it seems clear they are not continuing Galleries:

"Export. Easy.
When you’re ready to share your photos, you can send them to Flickr or Facebook with a couple of clicks. Or take advantage of a variety of export plug-ins to upload photos directly to sites including SmugMug, iStockphoto, and PhotoShelter. Because Aperture is integrated with the Mac OS X Media Browser, you can easily include photos from your library in iLife or iWork documents. Or make them “to go” by syncing them to your iPhone, iPod, or Apple TV"

MobileMe and Galleries references taken out. No reference at all to iCloud

Also, they didn't update iWeb at all last time, so safe to say it's going...

Sorry but I don't see how any of the above relates to the iWeb application going away. That is all about the MobileMe services going away. And if you mean they didn't update iWeb on the last iLife cycle, they also didn't update iDVD, is that also going away?

ilp
Jun 27, 2011, 11:37 AM
Gosh-I'm also going to miss gallery. So simple and elegant.

I'm both sad and bugged.:(:mad:I'm going to miss Gallery as well, though I stopped using it two years ago, because I didn't want to keep paying $99 a year for MobileMe.

Gallery is an example of a well-done, easy, simple, elegant photo sharing. Flickr is an overcomplicated overengineered solution. Sadly, I switched to Flickr, but I'm looking for alternatives.

Apple really has an opportunity to set it a up notch in this space, and looks like it's not taking it.

niallstarling
Jun 28, 2011, 03:26 AM
Sorry but I don't see how any of the above relates to the iWeb application going away. That is all about the MobileMe services going away. And if you mean they didn't update iWeb on the last iLife cycle, they also didn't update iDVD, is that also going away?

It didn't, I clearly said at the start of my post that the MobileMe Galleries are no longer quoted and that Apple are now saying you can share photos through 3rd parties. Pretty odd if they were to continue it through iCloud.

As for iWeb, the fact the are taking away hosting and lack of updates shows it not exactly loved by Apple. It could be argued that they have already dropped it as it can't be bought through the App Store. Maybe it won't be in the next boxset DVD too, time will tell.

And yes, same maybe for iDVD

Boich
Jun 28, 2011, 05:51 AM
Still think trying to sync all my music (40GB) and pics (80GB) not to mention films onto all my idevices is a non starter, and streaming isn't there yet either as even in London you can't always get access to the internet. Thats clearly where we are going.

Would it be easy (and secure) just to attach a spare harddrive to one of my macs and make it accessible online to replace iDisc? I have reasonable (10MB) upload speeds?

jc1350
Jun 28, 2011, 01:05 PM
If you had bought a succession of a 12-cylinder cars and then at some point the manufacturer decides to not offer a 12-cylinder engine in the next model, would you feel let down?

Your attempted analogy fails because the auto manufacturer won't be coming to your home to reprocess the old vehicle(s); it/they are still drivable. Apple is taking away features currently provided.

By using some of these free sites, you give up all rights to your own photo. I remember reading a new story about someone's photo being used "without their permission" on a billboard. The photo owner gave consent simply by uploading the photo to facebook since they previously agreed to facebook's terms of use. I believe you also give up rights when using Picasa web. If I find the facebook story I'll edit this to add the link.

Also, at least with facebook, don't you need an account to look at anything? If so, you would be forcing people to create a facebook account just to view photos. Some folks simply have no desire to deal with facebook.

It seems to me the absence of those features will cause some people to defer buying new computers. Wouldn't the absence of those features make setting up a new computer--pretty much a piece of cake, right now--a more annoying, time-consuming process?

No. The migration assistant built into Mac OS has worked flawlessly for me several times. You need to have the 2 systems connected via LAN or firewire. Migration assistant copies your account and files and you can select/deselect things (bookmarks, files, key chains, etc) as desired.

SwissMac2
Jul 1, 2012, 11:57 AM
Gallery was the best thing on MobileMe and the web for photo sharing. Nothing in iCloud excites me, but a lot makes my life more difficult eg Docs in the Cloud because I have a work computer set up differently to a home computer and i do not want them to be the same!

But the loss of Gallery is the worst thing by far.

Peace
Jul 1, 2012, 12:02 PM
The "journal" in iPhoto is the new iCloud based web stuff.
If you look in iPhoto for IOS you will notice an option to link your journal via a web URL. My guess is as soon as the new iPhoto for Mac comes out we will see this option there too.