Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

readingape

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Brookyn, NY
I am going to be buying a 13' Air after the refresh, though I don't know if I am going to buy the refresh or try to score a discounted refurb of the late 2010 model.

I know none of this information is out there, but do those of you who follow this stuff closely have any sense of what the pricing of the new models might be? And what the discounts on the refurb models might be once the refresh is out?

Basically, I want the 13' with 4GB of RAM. If the new base model is still 1299 but with 4GB standard, I will probably get that. If 2GB is still the base, I will probably look to score a refurb 2010 Ultimate.

Any insight appreciated. Thansks

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
It's always interesting to guess what be in an unannounced product. And also it's just speculation as to what the price might be.

Also, when you are deciding whether to buy a 2010 or a 2011 Air, do keep in mind that a newer faster processor might let you keep the machine another year before it needs replacement. And then there's whatever other differences between the 2 models that may affect your thinking on which one to buy. Of course it all depends on what you will be doing with the system.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
I doubt apple will change the price on MBA...

4GB Ram might become standard on some MBA models...

But, I doubt they will drop the base prices.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
I"m thinking the same price, SB, 4 gigs of RAM. Doubt a drop in price. However refurbs and old models might drop another 50 or 100. How much are 2010 MBPs going for? That would give you an idea of what might happen.

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
It's always interesting to guess what be in an unannounced product. And also it's just speculation as to what the price might be.

Also, when you are deciding whether to buy a 2010 or a 2011 Air, do keep in mind that a newer faster processor might let you keep the machine another year before it needs replacement. And then there's whatever other differences between the 2 models that may affect your thinking on which one to buy. Of course it all depends on what you will be doing with the system.

Another year? Sandy Bridge is leaps and bounds better than C2D

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
The 13" ultimate's retail price as of now is $1799.

Once the new models come out and are in the refurbished store, it will decrease 17% from the retail value.

Initial - R. Discount
1799 - 1799(.17) = $1493.17

That's an estimate.

It could even be an 18% discount, but I doubt it since the retail value was $1799. But, if it actually did happen it would be $1475.18.

So you're looking at under $1500, with a savings of about $300.

Last edited:

skier777

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
The base price will stay the same, but no telling if 4GB ram will be standard or not. This years refurbs will be ≈$200 less than the 2011. I would guess $799 for the base model, and certainly not worth it.

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
That's hard to believe at first but when you see benchmarks of the cheapest SB MBP being faster than all of the C2D macbooks you really start thinking :)

The new MBA will definitely be interesting.
35% isn't bad
The base price will stay the same, but no telling if 4GB ram will be standard or not. This years refurbs will be ≈$200 less than the 2011. I would guess $799 for the base model, and certainly not worth it.

There might be an eyebleed priced 8GB

satkin2

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
As nice as a price drop would be, and there have been rumors, I can't see them dropping the price. The Airs have been selling well at their current price point so their is little reason for Apple to reduce their pricing. The only reason I could envisage is if they dropped the MacBook and made the Air the entry level. If they did this then a reduction may be in order as although the entry level Air is the same price as the MacBook, you're getting just 11" and a smaller hard drive so a slight price reduction could be a compramise making the entry 13" closer to the MacBook pricing.

Duke15

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Canada
Might drop 50$ on the refurbs im guessing and the price for the new onces will probably stay the same, but yeah i could see 4 gigs ram std. or blk although they might wait for the next gen model to re-introduce blk

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
I'm hoping the base 13" gets the 256GB standard for the same price. Yes, a guy can dream :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.