Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
All I could find was this:

"They know the reason and the length of the time-out"

about the length of time-outs. So my question, are they all the same amount of time or do they vary depending on how many you got in the past, how bad the mod thinks you acting, etc.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The length of Time Outs is dependent on the rules infraction (minor/major), prior history and a consensus that the mods build when we discuss these matters.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
What are standard Time-Out times...?

It really depends on the specific history of the member, the rule break, how egregious the case is etc. so there isn't really a standard. We do have certain policies and etc in place to make sure we treat members consistently.

Typically though time-outs last from 1 day to 30 days. If there is a need for anything longer then frankly you will be banned.

That said they usually really fall into the 1-14 days period and 30 days kept for more serious cases.

And again the 10-14 days period from that is also more for serious cases.

By the time you get to that sort of range then if behaviour doesn't change there is little we can do as we will have already given PMs, Infractions, and a series of shorter time-outs.

Members are welcome to send contact forms or PM me directly and I can discuss their history and any other issues they wish.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I Didn't even know MR had time-outs. Odd, because I have been kicked of a few political forums recently. Only a matter of time MR mods!
I really need to watch my #$&% mouth.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Out of curiosity, have any paying (donating) members ever been banned? I know donating doesn't give anyone immunity and am sure some have been on time-out...but I'm wondering if any have ever been banned.

Quite a few long time contributors have been banned in the past. Demi's are not immune from the rules.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Interesting ask. So, if someone contributes financially and is then banned from the forums, are they refunded?

Things like this are usually handled on a case-by-case basis, and there is no real one-size-fits-all answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.