PDA

View Full Version : PowerPC iOS 5 WiFi sync left in the cold?

burnout8488
Jun 25, 2011, 09:43 AM
As many have you seen, the 2nd beta of iTunes 10.5 mentions that the wifi sync feature is only available for those using Snow Leopard. The first beta of iTunes 10.5 does work on Leopard, so are we screwed for the second beta? (and hereafter?)

I don't see why the OS has anything to do with it - iTunes could've simply been made to implement this feature into any Mac using the latest version. PPC support hasn't been dropped for the latest versions of iTunes yet, so what gives?

I had my hopes up that iOS 5 would sync well with my PowerMac once it was officially out in the fall. Now, not so much. :(

adcx64
Jun 25, 2011, 10:02 AM
I think that since it is still beta, there is a hope that the final cersion will work on ppc. I feel your pain!

burnout8488
Jun 25, 2011, 02:19 PM
I think that since it is still beta, there is a hope that the final cersion will work on ppc. I feel your pain!

Let's hope so! Beta 1 installed fine; has anyone tried installing beta 2 on a PPC machine? Perhaps they just aren't finished with the code and the final version will include support. At least I hope.

adcx64
Jun 25, 2011, 03:17 PM
Got my fingers crossed!

burnout8488
Jun 26, 2011, 10:24 PM
Well, I installed iTunes 10.5 Beta 2. Haven't gotten the iPad on beta 2 yet, but at least the software installs.

So far so good. I'll find it very odd if the sync feature does not work once I try with the iPad, only because I don't have an Intel mac.

burnout8488
Jun 26, 2011, 11:17 PM
Well, I can't sync, wired or wireless. Seems to be an issue with the iTunes 10.5 betas. Others on this forum have the same issue using PowerMacs, but the devices sync fine on MacBooks.

Sigh, just gotta hope it's fixed by the final 10.5 GM release. I'm sure PPC support isn't high on their list.

adcx64
Jun 27, 2011, 03:17 PM
I'm sure PPC support isn't high on their list.

maybe we'll get lucky!

burnout8488
Jun 27, 2011, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I'm sure it will be at least fixed to work with wired-syncing by the time the final version of iTunes comes out. The wireless would just be a very nice bonus.

The program still has PPC support, so the inability to do a wired-sync would just be bonkers :p

adcx64
Jun 27, 2011, 07:54 PM
Exactly! As long as the App supports PPC I'm sure wireless syncing will too.

zen.state
Jun 27, 2011, 08:36 PM
Exactly! As long as the App supports PPC I'm sure wireless syncing will too.

Agreed. Not only would that be silly but it would take away an ipad feature. As long as they still code the newest iTunes for PowerPC (which they still do) I cannot foresee a single issue.

It would be partial suicide to drop PowerPC sync for iOS devices as even 5 years after the Intel switch at least half the functioning Macs out there are still PowerPC based. Most people don't want to (and won't) buy a new Mac and an iPad if they just want an iPad.

Since iTunes still runs on any G4 and not just the newer/faster ones that tells me that iTunes will be supported there for a while longer and probably be the final and only thing Apple does anymore for PowerPC. They still host version 8.2.1 for G3 support and provide a link to it right on the iTunes 10 download page.

blevins321
Jun 27, 2011, 08:42 PM
Just curious, does the Cydia Wifi Sync app support PPC? I know it supports Leopard, but does the architecture matter for it?

mac.tastic
Jun 27, 2011, 09:44 PM
It would be partial suicide to drop PowerPC sync for iOS devices as even 5 years after the Intel switch at least half the functioning Macs out there are still PowerPC based. Most people don't want to (and won't) buy a new Mac and an iPad if they just want an iPad.

You mean like when they dropped OS support when PPC machines were still only 3 years old?

zen.state
Jun 27, 2011, 10:02 PM
You mean like when they dropped OS support when PPC machines were still only 3 years old?

You can't possibly compare coding newer OS's to PowerPC with coding iTunes so people with old Macs can sync their iphone/ipod touch/ipad. You need reasonably current hardware to run the newest OS because of it's newer capabilities and higher hardware demands.

You don't and never should need anything newer than a 10 year old computer to transfer music or videos over USB.

What you're comparing is not really related at all. Your perspective is a bit off.

adcx64
Jun 27, 2011, 10:07 PM
You don't and never should need anything newer than a 10 year old computer to transfer music or videos over

Thankfully, Apple understands this and still supports PPC with iTunes.

chrismacguy
Jun 28, 2011, 04:09 AM
You can't possibly compare coding newer OS's to PowerPC with coding iTunes so people with old Macs can sync their iphone/ipod touch/ipad. You need reasonably current hardware to run the newest OS because of it's newer capabilities and higher hardware demands.

You don't and never should need anything newer than a 10 year old computer to transfer music or videos over USB.

What you're comparing is not really related at all. Your perspective is a bit off.

Luckily given Apples past history with iTunes releases, I dont think they can justify dropping Leopard support just yet. (Tiger support lasted until iTunes 9, so I dont think it will be till iTunes 11 Leopard will be abandoned, but more features might be Intel only (Such as right now some Video Features require an Intel CPU).)

robbieduncan
Jun 28, 2011, 08:18 AM
Moderator note: please can you keep the discussion civil without resorting to name calling.

mac.tastic
Jun 28, 2011, 08:29 AM
Member note: I couldn't agree more. :)