Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Eastern, PA
Hi, last 2 Snow Leopard updates not working. Download and go through all the update routine, and then at the end says is can not update. Tried the combo update just the other day. I guess my question is, do you think I can wait until Lion comes out, and then I can update to Lion without any problem?:D
I have run fix permissions on the disk. Works fine otherwise.
It is a February 2008 Mac Book Air.

Thanks!

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Have you tried booting from the Snow Leopard DVD (or the Grey Disk that came with the MacBook Air)?

Try booting from that and repairing permissions and then also try repairing the disk.

You probably don't have permission to modify a system file somewhere in the thousands of files it changes on a point updated.

I don't think an update to Lion will solve this. Might actually be worse since a failed OS update might make the system unbootable.

If you have the time I would do a clean install of Snow Leopard before attempting a Lion install.

JBmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Eastern, PA
Have you tried booting from the Snow Leopard DVD (or the Grey Disk that came with the MacBook Air)?

Try booting from that and repairing permissions and then also try repairing the disk.

You probably don't have permission to modify a system file somewhere in the thousands of files it changes on a point updated.

I don't think an update to Lion will solve this. Might actually be worse since a failed OS update might make the system unbootable.

If you have the time I would do a clean install of Snow Leopard before attempting a Lion install.

Thank you, I will have to try what you suggest. I'll have to rummage around though to find those disks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.