PDA

View Full Version : iOS 5 Beta 2: User Interface Tweaks, 3G Over-the-Air Updates, Native Scrolling in Safari

MacRumors
Jun 25, 2011, 11:43 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/26/ios-5-beta-2-3g-ota-native-scrolling-in-safari/)

Apple's iOS 5 Beta 2 that was released to developers Friday contains a number of new findings. The biggest one we covered yesterday (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/24/apple-releases-ios-5-beta-2-to-developers/) with the additional of Wi-Fi syncing.

AppleInsider posts a couple (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/25/inside_ios_5_new_lock_screen_notifications_receding_imessage_keyboard.html) of screenshots from the new lock-screen notifications which show a slightly more prominent display:

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/notif.jpg

They also point out that the keyboard in iMessage now recedes when scrolling upwards into message history.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/9to53g.png

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/9to53g.png)
3G download support for Over the Air updates appears to be confirmed (http://9to5mac.com/2011/06/25/ios-5-supports-over-the-air-software-updates-via-3g-networks/) with these strings found by 9to5mac. Apple had announced that the new version of iOS will support "Over the Air" updates which allows the operating system to be upgraded without syncing to your computer. These strings seem to indicate that this can occur over Wi-Fi or 3G.

Another more subtle tweak was posted by Johan Brook (http://johanbrook.com/browsers/native-momentum-scrolling-ios-5/) which reveals that Apple is now supporting a new CSS property that will allow web developers to get "native" iOS scrolling behavior in their web apps. This refers to the "momentum" inherent in native apps. DaringFireball (http://daringfireball.net/2009/12/pastrykit) previously described this behavior: One area in particular where iPhone web apps fall short of native iPhone apps is scrolling. Take for example a long list, such as your full address book in Contacts, or all your songs in the iPod app. When you scroll these lists, you can fling the list, and the list will scroll at high speed after you let go. The effect is sort of like spinning a wheel with very little friction. With iPhone web apps, you can make a list that looks almost, maybe even exactly, like a native iPhone list view. But all web views on the iPhone scroll with almost no momentum. You can’t fling them. iPhone web views feel like they have a lot of scrolling friction.While there have been javascript work-arounds floating around, with iOS 5 this functionality will be easily implemented for web apps.

Article Link: iOS 5 Beta 2: User Interface Tweaks, 3G Over-the-Air Updates, Native Scrolling in Safari (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/26/ios-5-beta-2-3g-ota-native-scrolling-in-safari/)

iTim314
Jun 25, 2011, 11:48 PM
YYYYEEEEESSSSS!!!!

As much as I love the iScroll framework... it just never worked well and felt like a native app.

I've built many web apps for my company... and now... oh man am I happy! :D

chinesechikn
Jun 25, 2011, 11:53 PM
Good to have lock screen notifications, hopefully they can be configured for privacy

QuarterSwede
Jun 25, 2011, 11:57 PM
Another more subtle tweak was posted by Johan Brook (http://johanbrook.com/browsers/native-momentum-scrolling-ios-5/) which reveals that Apple is now supporting a new CSS property that will allow web developers to get "native" iOS scrolling behavior in their web apps. This refers to the "momentum" inherent in native apps. DaringFireball (http://daringfireball.net/2009/12/pastrykit) previously described this behavior:While there have been javascript work-arounds floating around, with iOS 5 this functionality will be easily implemented for web apps.
This explains the wonky scrolling behavior I've been experiencing but couldn't put my finger on. Glad to hear it ought to be resolved.

PantherCreek
Jun 25, 2011, 11:59 PM
So glad it will go away when scrolling through past messages, I always hated leaving the conversation and going back in just to remove the keyboard! :D

-so glad, I created an account just to post this!

OrangeSVTguy
Jun 25, 2011, 11:59 PM
Finally the keyboard hides. Wish the iPhone had the keyboard on/off button like the iPad.

uaecasher
Jun 26, 2011, 12:04 AM
Good to have lock screen notifications, hopefully they can be configured for privacy

+1, they should do something like the SMS preview option.

ann713
Jun 26, 2011, 12:07 AM
Thought this day would never come. Lock screen notifications is the only reason I jailbreak.

HMFIC03
Jun 26, 2011, 12:07 AM
This is one the best updates out of the whole lot of them in iOS 5. Also looking for forward to the camera improvements.

pmz
Jun 26, 2011, 12:16 AM
How about pointing out the Mail notifications do not work in this second beta?

Things like this are more important CURRENT info. iOS 5 is public in the FALL.

iOS 5 beta 2 is out now, and on thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of devices. Its pretty damn important right now.

lfc
Jun 26, 2011, 12:19 AM

iOS 5 beta 2 is out now, and on thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of devices. Its pretty damn important right now.

You do know that it's called a beta for a reason, right?

QuarterSwede
Jun 26, 2011, 12:19 AM
Some users are reporting they work fine with screenshots for proof.

Berzerker
Jun 26, 2011, 12:26 AM
FYI the keyboard recends in text message conversations as well.

You can make it not recend by not moving your finger far enough on the screen, and just flicking the message area.

cmaier
Jun 26, 2011, 12:28 AM

They work fine.

Why would developers (the intended audience for these betas) care if mail notifications work? Their apps have nothing to do with mail notifications. (Further: mail notifications do work.)

iphoneblack
Jun 26, 2011, 12:29 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can someone estimate what months "fall" Steve is referring to?

AbSoluTc
Jun 26, 2011, 12:41 AM
Not sure I dig the change to the new notification system. I like the first beta notification system where the messages show up on the lock screen in a list like the second picture with NO bubble at first.

Now it's like the old way but with an icon and larger text. I get why they did it, just not sure I like it. I liked not having bubbles popup all the time. I loved the list only view.

cmaier
Jun 26, 2011, 12:42 AM
Not sure I dig the change to the new notification system. I like the first beta notification system where the messages show up on the lock screen in a list like the second picture with NO bubble at first.

Now it's like the old way but with an icon and larger text. I get why they did it, just not sure I like it. I liked not having bubbles popup all the time. I loved the list only view.

You get the list view. The bubble stays only for a few seconds. Heck, took me awhile to even notice it since usually by the time I notice it's already in list view.

kuwxman
Jun 26, 2011, 12:42 AM
The beta 1 notifications look better IMO. Could just be my LockInfo bias. That notification on the left looks terrible; no information, etc etc etc.

edit: I see the post above me addresses it somewhat. Still terrible. Lets hold on to the old way with a mix of the new...

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 26, 2011, 12:43 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm guessing late September. To coincide with a late september iPhone 5 release.

nunes013
Jun 26, 2011, 12:48 AM

if the sept iphone rumor is true probably then which means at the sept event. if they do a beta every two weeks and im guessing there will be ~2-3 more plus GM that gives ~6-8 weeks which is end of august early sept. which is when the event usually is and falls nicely with iphone rumors.

EDIT: beaten^^^ but end sept sounds more like fall than early so maybe we will see a few more betas than normal

bgtrack
Jun 26, 2011, 12:49 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

IMO what they should do to compromise is keep the way notifications looked from the first beta, just make them a little bigger. Then, everyone is happy.

apttap
Jun 26, 2011, 12:58 AM
Hmmm.

I posted this over 24 hours ago. Hah, maybe I should start an apple blog.

celticpride678
Jun 26, 2011, 01:10 AM
I'm not very fond of the new lock screen notification bubbles in this build. It's going back to the iOS 4 days; the bubble itself is not consistent with the rest of iOS' UI, not to mention the gradient looks like crap.

Wolffie
Jun 26, 2011, 01:49 AM
In AppleInsider's article, there are screen shots of adding a mail/cal/contacts with Windows Live Hotmail.

Can anyone give me details about these accounts?

I just had a group 6 people I have been telling to get iPhones for their communication needs, sign up with 3GS.
When IOS5 hits, I'd like to be informed to answer their questions.
Thank you!

uanuglyfool
Jun 26, 2011, 02:06 AM
I'm not very fond of the new lock screen notification bubbles in this build It's going back to the iOS 4 days; the bubble itself is not consistent with the rest of iOS' UI, not to mention the gradient looks like crap.

The gradient is a little off but I like that it adds emphasis to the newest notification and hides the other notifications.

doug in albq
Jun 26, 2011, 02:26 AM
gradient in the new bigger bubble should go away entirely. Keep the bubble, no gradient, text over gradient is less readable.

Also, the icon looks too small for the larger bubble, and floats around too much, if leaving the bubble as it is now, make icon a bit bigger, like two lines of text tall.

Just going from the screenshot, I have not actually used iOS 5 yet.

ARobinson
Jun 26, 2011, 02:49 AM
What build is this? 4.3.3?

MythicFrost
Jun 26, 2011, 03:01 AM
What build is this? 4.3.3?
It's iOS 5 beta 2. It's not iOS 4.x.

johnnyjibbs
Jun 26, 2011, 03:11 AM
The keyboard recedes in iMessage when you do a swipe gesture down into the keyboard - it's not quite "scrolling into the message history" as AppleInsider puts it, although that's obviously usually a side effect of the down gesture.

Very useful feature!!!

I've also noticed the sounds menu in settings has been updated and now all the sounds fit under one list (including the calendar and message sent 'swoosh') so you can choose any of these sounds for any alert. Also, the 'new' and 'original' sounds have been merged into one alphabetical list, which is about time because why should the average user care about when Apple added the new sound?

TheNerdyNurse
Jun 26, 2011, 03:34 AM
I am VERY excited about wifi syncing and over the air updates!

Also digging the new little appointments on the home screen. Although jailbroken devices have been doing this for ages. Nice to see apple adapting some of those innovations that apparently they feel might "break" their equipment... or cost them money. Either way, glad to see this will be integrated.
Annoyed I just got a white iPhone.
But that is the burden of owning apple products. The new one is only a keynote speech a way...

bushido
Jun 26, 2011, 03:44 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

damn those annoying pop up bubbles r back? apple what r u doing

blesio
Jun 26, 2011, 03:51 AM
@UP, this isn't very constructive of you. The bubbles are back but only on the lock screen and only at first, after the display backlight is gone it turns into a notification list. The bubble has an icon just as the notification so you can go to the mail or messages app quickly. So don't start complaining until you actually see it.

ARobinson
Jun 26, 2011, 03:52 AM
Can I download 5b2 through xcode w/o a developers license?

bizzaregood
Jun 26, 2011, 04:11 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

Has it already been noted that "places" in the photo app no longer exist ! ?

Slayter
Jun 26, 2011, 04:38 AM
WHAT?!! :eek:

they are moving back to single bubble with one-alert-at-the-time system on the lock screen, or what?? O man...

Why, Apple, why? It was all great in Beta 1. :D

begga
Jun 26, 2011, 04:52 AM
Also new is the iPod-Sleep-Timer in the Clock-App.
And you can chose own ringtones as alert.

Slayter
Jun 26, 2011, 04:58 AM

is this really a new? I think it was already in 2.2 or so

840quadra
Jun 26, 2011, 05:02 AM

Correct,

It is not new.

begga
Jun 26, 2011, 05:05 AM
Really? Never seen before... :eek:

But what about own ringtones?
The German Word Ringones isn't translated yet, so I thought it came new with the beta...!?

840quadra
Jun 26, 2011, 05:07 AM
Selectable ringtones are there too. Personal, and built in.

KALLT
Jun 26, 2011, 05:08 AM
But what about own ringtones?
The German Word Ringones isn't translated yet, so I thought it came new with the beta...!?

I wonder, I have read that you can now use your own tones for messages, e-mails etc. Can you upload them via iTunes (so your own) or do you have to purchase them in the iTunes Store? The latter would be a real bummer, as I never would use any songs as my ringtones. I have a few good and simple tunes on my Mac and I would love to use them instead.

nimbusthegreat
Jun 26, 2011, 05:11 AM
>>The biggest one we covered yesterday with the additional of Wi-Fi syncing.<<

Addition is actually the word that should be used here. I would've emailed the author directly to have this corrected but didn't see a link to his info.

begga
Jun 26, 2011, 05:11 AM
Selectable ringtones are there too. Personal, and built in.Shame on me. :o

Ted Witcher
Jun 26, 2011, 05:34 AM
Christ, when will they just do away with a "lock screen" or slide-to-unlock altogether? It is the most annoying thing in the world, a stupid step before you even get to the step(s) required to get to what you want.

I love these guys, but sometimes I just don't understand what the hell they're thinking. They design a home button. It's brilliant, right, because its concave shape and stiff spring resist unintended input. So therefore it is unlikely the phone will accidentally be turned on (and if it is, it will go to sleep in a minute anyway). I've had my phone for over a year, have it with me everyday, and never once have I accidentally turned the damn thing on. So why another step -- slide to unlock? It's maddening specifically because the home button performs two functions well: activates the home screen and protects the touchscreen from unintended input. If I press the button, that should turn the home screen on, period. You can press any key on a BB when it's asleep and it will start doing something. There is no "lock screen." It never hurt the functionality.

There should be a passcode screen for those that want that and nothing for the rest of us.

Slayter
Jun 26, 2011, 05:59 AM
Christ, when will they just do away with a "lock screen" or slide-to-unlock altogether? It is the most annoying thing in the world, a stupid step before you even get to the step(s) required to get to what you want.

I love these guys, but sometimes I just don't understand what the hell they're thinking. They design a home button. It's brilliant, right, because its concave shape and stiff spring resist unintended input. So therefore it is unlikely the phone will accidentally be turned on (and if it is, it will go to sleep in a minute anyway). I've had my phone for over a year, have it with me everyday, and never once have I accidentally turned the damn thing on. So why another step -- slide to unlock? It's maddening specifically because the home button performs two functions well: activates the home screen and protects the touchscreen from unintended input. If I press the button, that should turn the home screen on, period. You can press any key on a BB when it's asleep and it will start doing something. There is no "lock screen." It never hurt the functionality.

There should be a passcode screen for those that want that and nothing for the rest of us.

And how about, if someone calls you, while you have phone in a pocket?
also, if you hit unintentionally sleep button?

Ted Witcher
Jun 26, 2011, 06:20 AM
And how about, if someone calls you, while you have phone in a pocket?
also, if you hit unintentionally sleep button?

I don't understand -- if someone calls you, the phone rings/vibrates and you look at the screen to see who it is. That doesn't have anything to do with slide-to-unlock. And so what if you unintentionally hit the sleep button (which, btw, is also very stiff, too -- obviously a design choice)? I don't think I'm following your point.

Shannighan
Jun 26, 2011, 06:36 AM

Ever heard of butt dialing?

Slide to unlock really isn't that much of a nuisance. 95% of the time I hit the button while taking my phone out of my pocket anyway so all I have to do is slide when I'm ready to use. It would also keep me from accidentally hitting something on my screen while I'm in this process.

Anyway, I hate the notifications like the are now, way better in iOS5b1. The text is big and ugly, and if you already have a notification on your home screen it shows it the old way anyway.

Man9z0r
Jun 26, 2011, 07:09 AM
Man I hope there is some amount of lock screen customizations. I love having my calendar on the lock screen. Also are you able to respond to messages right there or do you have to unlock?

Shannighan
Jun 26, 2011, 07:13 AM
Man I hope there is some amount of lock screen customizations. I love having my calendar on the lock screen. Also are you able to respond to messages right there or do you have to unlock?

You do have to unlock, but you can slide the icon on the left of the notification and it takes you right to the app / conversation / email / etc.

Man9z0r
Jun 26, 2011, 07:16 AM

I am pretty sure the lock screen is also there to conserve battery life. So when you accidently turn it on it will turn off quicker if you dont unlock it. It is a really smart idea. Some people have their screen stay on for longer then 1 minute so this really conserves battery life.

radiogoober
Jun 26, 2011, 07:16 AM

lol. iOS beta releases are not meant for public consumption. Something tells me that you have no concept of what a beta is (it's not your fault, Google ruined the idea of beta software for everyone), and that you are not a developer.

Man9z0r
Jun 26, 2011, 07:17 AM
You do have to unlock, but you can slide the icon on the left of the notification and it takes you right to the app / conversation / email / etc.

Well that sounds okay. Any customizations though?

Shannighan
Jun 26, 2011, 07:23 AM

What are you talking about? The mail app and notifications are fine. Maybe you have them turned off in notification center...

Well that sounds okay. Any customizations though?

No, only notifications.

SactoGuy18
Jun 26, 2011, 07:32 AM
Speaking of which, with iOS 5.0 will Apple now switch to the incremental update model? In short, instead of having to update over 600 MB of code for an minor version update it only downloads and installs the needed code?

This is very important because you REALLY don't want to download over 600 MB of code over 3G, even if you have a high-quality 3G connection like you have in Europe, Japan and South Korea.

tfskora
Jun 26, 2011, 07:40 AM
I too don't like the new pop up, but it goes away pretty quickly so it's no biggie.

radiogoober
Jun 26, 2011, 07:45 AM
Speaking of which, with iOS 5.0 will Apple now switch to the incremental update model? In short, instead of having to update over 600 MB of code for an minor version update it only downloads and installs the needed code?

This is very important because you REALLY don't want to download over 600 MB of code over 3G, even if you have a high-quality 3G connection like you have in Europe, Japan and South Korea.

That's the rumor. Hope it's true. Would be really nice if they could allow us to update future betas, and all future iOS versions, without the full download and restore model. *fingers crossed*

iangreen
Jun 26, 2011, 07:58 AM
apple -

when i go to check my mail, my employer blocks Gmail, so i have to close 2-3 successive error dialogs every time i want to read my mail.. was dreaming that ios5 would fix this.. it's the worst!

please consider making error dialogs notifications, so I can work without having to dismiss 2-3 of them - that was the beauty of this change for notifications, but error dialogs in the same app can still be quite annoying

skinned66
Jun 26, 2011, 08:16 AM
I can't wait for this update. I'm going to finally get to dump a few jailbreak extensions I've had installed. Maybe I'll be able to ditch my third-party calendar app too? :eek:

Alex Hobbs
Jun 26, 2011, 08:18 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=291210&thumb=1&d=1309071930

The one thing that's annoying me is the pull-down icon, it's one of the tackiest things I've seen and really doesn't 'fit' in, it just seems like it was made in 5 seconds.. it also doesn't seem to look like an icon for pull-down, I don't really know what it's meant to look like :s

skinned66
Jun 26, 2011, 08:21 AM

I don't think they have a choice if they want to push the "tetherless" feature of IOS5~; they know carriers (especially in North America) are dicks about the bit caps. Delta updates are the only way. It would never fly otherwise, with all of the billing disputes and finger pointing that would result.

skinned66
Jun 26, 2011, 08:22 AM
Image (http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=291210&thumb=1&d=1309071930)

The one thing that's annoying me is the pull-down icon, it's one of the tackiest things I've seen and really doesn't 'fit' in, it just seems like it was made in 5 seconds.. it also doesn't seem to look like an icon for pull-down, I don't really know what it's meant to look like :s

Agreed, I hope they change it. If they don't, I will :D

WannaGoMac
Jun 26, 2011, 08:25 AM
Image (http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=291210&thumb=1&d=1309071930)

LOL. Talk about anal retentive. :P

It clearly imitates a physical button with horizontal notches to provide the "grip" to your finger to pull down against.

Alex Hobbs
Jun 26, 2011, 08:30 AM
Agreed, I hope they change it. If they don't, I will :D

Even something like this would be better.. at least thats whats universally recognised as dragging :P

LOL. Talk about anal retentive. :P

It clearly imitates a physical button with horizontal notches to provide the "grip" to your finger to pull down against.

Well, it doesn't imitate it very well at all ;)

QuarterSwede
Jun 26, 2011, 08:41 AM
That's the rumor. Hope it's true. Would be really nice if they could allow us to update future betas, and all future iOS versions, without the full download and restore model. *fingers crossed*
It's not a rumor. They announced delta updates in the iOS 5 keynote.

OmegaRed1723
Jun 26, 2011, 08:49 AM
Yep, not a rumor. Pic from the iOS 5 keynote speech.

http://wyseworld.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/stevejobswwdc2011liveblogkeynote0793.jpeg

greg8799
Jun 26, 2011, 10:36 AM
Hope they fixed the data usage issue cos within two weeks of beta 1 I used 80% of my 500MB monthly allowance despite using WiFi at home and at work... :-( My maximum monthly usage over the past 2 years was once 350MB as it usually is below 150-200MB, and now I used 400MB in 2 weeks? :(

johndallas999
Jun 26, 2011, 11:04 AM
Good to have lock screen notifications finally but they still aren't on par with Lockinfo IMO.

Romie ZaZa
Jun 26, 2011, 11:07 AM
Hey guys im looking for a little help i installed the beta 2 on my iphone things were going great then i tried playing a video in safari using youtube mobile site and the scrubbing toggles disappeared and it wouldnt come back the only way to remedy this is to close out safari in the auto switcher and start over but the same thing keeps happening. ive noticed tho that when i do the restore in itunes 10.5 beta 2, right before things are complete itunes loads a safe browsing software unto the phone im not sure if that has any affect on how safari is behaving. Thanks hope you guys can help me.

cmaier
Jun 26, 2011, 11:09 AM
Hey guys im looking for a little help i installed the beta 2 on my iphone things were going great then i tried playing a video in safari using youtube mobile site and the scrubbing toggles disappeared and it wouldnt come back the only way to remedy this is to close out safari in the auto switcher and start over but the same thing keeps happening. ive noticed tho that when i do the restore in itunes 10.5 beta 2, right before things are complete itunes loads a safe browsing software unto the phone im not sure if that has any affect on how safari is behaving. Thanks hope you guys can help me.

File a bug.

min_t
Jun 26, 2011, 11:49 AM
In AppleInsider's article, there are screen shots of adding a mail/cal/contacts with Windows Live Hotmail.

Can anyone give me details about these accounts?

I just had a group 6 people I have been telling to get iPhones for their communication needs, sign up with 3GS.
When IOS5 hits, I'd like to be informed to answer their questions.
Thank you!

you can set up live mail as an exchange mail account ,already, and it will sync mail, contacts, cal items.

Ulf1103
Jun 26, 2011, 01:16 PM
Hy, I was wondering that iMessage should be even better if apple would do the next:

If you want to sent an iMessage to someone, It will automatically check if the person who you want to sent an iMessage too is connected to the internet.
If not, it will say (Something like) "person" is not connected to the internet.
And then if you sent a message, you can sent as sms or as Imessage (Then if its an urgent sms, the person will get it immediately, and not when he connects to the internet).

BTW, 'm wright that if you sent an iMessage to someone, and he isn't connected to the internet, he'll only will be able to vieuw it when he is connected to the internet. And that apple doesn't check if he's connected to the internet?
Or am I completely wrong?

Please say so if it is.

Shannighan
Jun 26, 2011, 01:19 PM
Hy, I was wondering that iMessage should be even better if apple would do the next:

If you want to sent an iMessage to someone, It will automatically check if the person who you want to sent an iMessage too is connected to the internet.
If not, it will say (Something like) "person" is not connected to the internet.
And then if you sent a message, you can sent as sms or as Imessage (Then if its an urgent sms, the person will get it immediately, and not when he connects to the internet).

BTW, 'm wright that if you sent an iMessage to someone, and he isn't connected to the internet, he'll only will be able to vieuw it when he is connected to the internet. And that apple doesn't check if he's connected to the internet?
Or am I completely wrong?

Please say so if it is.

If the person is able SMS, they will be able to send an iMessage, both are sent over the same network. And the iPhone does do this in a way. If the person you are sending a text to uses iMessage, it will change it to an iMessage message instead of SMS. There really is no difference, except your carrier will count SMS messages, even though what is being sent in terms of content and data size is exactly the same.

Ulf1103
Jun 26, 2011, 01:23 PM
If the person is able SMS, they will be able to send an iMessage, both are sent over the same network. And the iPhone does do this in a way. If the person you are sending a text to uses iMessage, it will change it to an iMessage message instead of SMS. There really is no difference, except your carrier will count SMS messages, even though what is being sent in terms of content and data size is exactly the same.

So, if you sent an Imessage, you'll need to pay for it?

Then basicly, you'll get ripped of, 'cause iPod users don't need to pay a thing. Or am I misunderstanding?

Shannighan
Jun 26, 2011, 01:28 PM
So, if you sent an Imessage, you'll need to pay for it?

Then basicly, you'll get ripped of, 'cause iPod users don't need to pay a thing. Or am I misunderstanding?

No. An iMessage overrides a text, so you're not paying for it (in the sense of per message like you do a text). I've messaged people both on iPhones and iPads, iMessage on the iPhone over rides the text wether they are on wifi or cellular. On the iPad, they get the message once they are on a network.

Ted Witcher
Jun 26, 2011, 01:29 PM
I am pretty sure the lock screen is also there to conserve battery life. So when you accidently turn it on it will turn off quicker if you dont unlock it. It is a really smart idea. Some people have their screen stay on for longer then 1 minute so this really conserves battery life.

Ah, that's an easy software thing. In fact, why not allow the user to exactly determine how long the phone stays active down to the second? Why so imprecise as it is now? It's a computer -- you could make it anything you want.

The lock screen is annoying, it's in my way, and I can't turn it off with a preference and that bothers me.

jonnysods
Jun 26, 2011, 01:33 PM
I was really hoping that the lockscreen could be used a little better than it has been. Example, just tell me the top five appointments today, ones that are coming up in my day, and I can dismiss them myself if they have passed. That way when I wake up in the morning I can see what is on the plate, not as they appear when I ask them to.

Know what I mean?

MCP-511
Jun 26, 2011, 01:50 PM
Ever heard of butt dialing?

I have. It happened at my work place and I'm not joking, this person manage to butt dial 911. So when the authorities called the plant to determine if it was a prank or not, management was determine to find out who it was and they did. Cell phones are a no-no on the shop floor so it resulted in this person getting busted. I don't know if it was an iPhone or not.

starcrossed
Jun 26, 2011, 02:13 PM

The playback options are indeed gone so you won't be able to pause, scrub, etc. but you can get out of the fullscreen video and back into Safari with the pinch gesture (I think that is what you call it) but where your two fingers start spread apart on the screen and then come together to touch.

genosseinski
Jun 26, 2011, 04:06 PM
No. An iMessage overrides a text, so you're not paying for it (in the sense of per message like you do a text). I've messaged people both on iPhones and iPads, iMessage on the iPhone over rides the text wether they are on wifi or cellular. On the iPad, they get the message once they are on a network.

well but it's always a bit unsure if you're gonna pay or not. What I like about WhatsApp is the fact that if I press "Send" I am sure I pay 0 (zero) cents (apart from the data flat). When I click send in iMessage, I am not sure if the owner has an iPhone or not etc...

QuarterSwede
Jun 26, 2011, 04:13 PM
well but it's always a bit unsure if you're gonna pay or not. What I like about WhatsApp is the fact that if I press "Send" I am sure I pay 0 (zero) cents (apart from the data flat). When I click send in iMessage, I am not sure if the owner has an iPhone or not etc...
iMessage shows you whether it uses an SMS or not.

SMS = Green Send Button
iMessage = Blue Send Button

steadysignal
Jun 26, 2011, 04:16 PM
So glad it will go away when scrolling through past messages, I always hated leaving the conversation and going back in just to remove the keyboard! :D

i can't, i'm not, i don't...

Shannighan
Jun 26, 2011, 04:22 PM

I think the problem you are referring to is not apple's problem, or even a problem at all. If you don't want to pay for texts all you have to do is not text people that don't have an iPhone. If the person you're texting is using an iPhone, it will switch over to iMessage without you even thinking about it and continue to use iMessage until the person you are texting gets rid of their device or until they turn iMessage off.

Also, not only are the 'send' buttons blue or green, the actual bubbles are as well you will know once the text has been sent if it was SMS or iMessage.

Ulf1103
Jun 26, 2011, 05:20 PM
I think the problem you are referring to is not apple's problem, or even a problem at all. If you don't want to pay for texts all you have to do is not text people that don't have an iPhone. If the person you're texting is using an iPhone, it will switch over to iMessage without you even thinking about it and continue to use iMessage until the person you are texting gets rid of their device or until they turn iMessage off.

Also, not only are the 'send' buttons blue or green, the actual bubbles are as well you will know once the text has been sent if it was SMS or iMessage.

Question.

I have an iPhone, and lests say you want to sent a message to me. iMessage check of I have iMessage, if I have, you sent me an iMessage.
If you then sent an iMessage to me and I don't hav an Internet connection, I won't get the iMessage before I have Internet connection. Wright?
So if you need to sent me somthing important, you'll née to turn of iMessage before you can send me an ordinary text message?

Shannighan
Jun 26, 2011, 05:38 PM
Question.

I have an iPhone, and lests say you want to sent a message to me. iMessage check of I have iMessage, if I have, you sent me an iMessage.
If you then sent an iMessage to me and I don't hav an Internet connection, I won't get the iMessage before I have Internet connection. Wright?
So if you need to sent me somthing important, you'll née to turn of iMessage before you can send me an ordinary text message?

If you had no internet connection, you also wouldn't be able to receive SMS. When you're not on wifi, there is no distinction between the network you use for phone calls, sms, or data, only how your carrier charges you.

dmula
Jun 26, 2011, 05:58 PM
Close button missing in notifications for calendar. iPhone 3GS. Is it only me?

diamond.g
Jun 26, 2011, 06:23 PM
If you had no internet connection, you also wouldn't be able to receive SMS. When you're not on wifi, there is no distinction between the network you use for phone calls, sms, or data, only how your carrier charges you.

I call shenanigans.

Shannighan
Jun 26, 2011, 06:41 PM
I call shenanigans.

How so? If you're not on the network, you can't use your phone to communicate in any way, shape, or form.

phpmaven
Jun 26, 2011, 07:23 PM
Ah, that's an easy software thing. In fact, why not allow the user to exactly determine how long the phone stays active down to the second? Why so imprecise as it is now? It's a computer -- you could make it anything you want.

The lock screen is annoying, it's in my way, and I can't turn it off with a preference and that bothers me.

As the Man in Black said: "Get used to dissapointment"

captain kaos
Jun 26, 2011, 07:23 PM

Is that a timer to put the device to sleep? And is it only for ipods?

diamond.g
Jun 26, 2011, 07:32 PM
How so? If you're not on the network, you can't use your phone to communicate in any way, shape, or form.

You can not have an internet connection and still get SMS. iMessage doesn't work for me when I am riding into Arlington (VRE) in certain spots of my trip. Yet SMS works just fine.

But I will agree if your phone says Searching… or No NEtwork then neither will work.

Dorv
Jun 26, 2011, 08:33 PM
You can not have an internet connection and still get SMS. iMessage doesn't work for me when I am riding into Arlington (VRE) in certain spots of my trip. Yet SMS works just fine.

But I will agree if your phone says Searching… or No NEtwork then neither will work.

iMessage actually checks to see if there's an open connection to your phone before it tries to send a iMessage. If there's not, it sends an SMS. So, my iMessage basically knows if your iMessage is available.

cmaier
Jun 26, 2011, 08:47 PM
Close button missing in notifications for calendar. iPhone 3GS. Is it only me?

Similar issue. And it's currently showing me tomorrow's appointments. I think the deal is it always shows you the next N appointments, and then pops up dismiss-able notifications when timers fire.

JAT
Jun 26, 2011, 09:08 PM
Is that a timer to put the device to sleep? And is it only for ipods?
Yes.
No.

It was a misunderstanding, read the following posts.

dmula
Jun 26, 2011, 09:12 PM
Similar issue. And it's currently showing me tomorrow's appointments. I think the deal is it always shows you the next N appointments, and then pops up dismiss-able notifications when timers fire.

Go to Settings > notifications > and switch 'Manually' and than back to 'By Time'. It fixed it for me.

Edit: Nope! It was flickering for few seconds and disappeared again.

captain kaos
Jun 26, 2011, 11:04 PM
Yes.
No.

It was a misunderstanding, read the following posts.

Thanks (i've been away from iphones for a while so i wasn't aware it was an option). I think i'll be back for version 5 though!)

Murray90
Jun 26, 2011, 11:40 PM
Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/notif.jpg)

Would appear this guy has double booked. I don't see how he can meet with Bob and attend the doctor's appointment at the same time... UNLESS the doctor's name is Bob! In that case he is just real thorough. Anyways... pretty excited for the new notifications layout. :rolleyes:

MacFly123
Jun 27, 2011, 12:32 AM

Finally the keyboard hides. Wish the iPhone had the keyboard on/off button like the iPad.

AMEN!!! ABOUT FREAKIN' TIME APPLE!!! :rolleyes:

ntrigue
Jun 27, 2011, 12:59 AM

Working flawlessly for me.

SvendTT
Jun 27, 2011, 03:02 AM
I noticed this morning, that Apple have chanced the Alarm lock screen, with a improved and re-located "snooze" button. Makes it much easier to snooze in the mornings!

Ulf1103
Jun 27, 2011, 03:09 AM
iMessage actually checks to see if there's an open connection to your phone before it tries to send a iMessage. If there's not, it sends an SMS. So, my iMessage basically knows if your iMessage is available.

So iMessage checks of the person who you want to sent an iMessage to has an Internet connection. If not, it will sent an SMS.

And what about iPods?
If you want go sent an iMessage to someone who don't has an Internet connectio at that time, you can sent it anyway, but the person who you're sending to only will get it when he has an Internet connection. Wright?

Ulf1103
Jun 27, 2011, 03:16 AM
Does anyone knows I'd you can have iMessage ok your Mac's?
I mean, of yoi're working on your Mac (in my case MBP) and you receive an iMessage, you don't need ro pic up your iPhone, but you simply can type and sent it on you're Mac.
That would be nice if it was there wright?

MacFan23
Jun 27, 2011, 03:24 AM
Does anyone knows I'd you can have iMessage ok your Mac's?
I mean, of yoi're working on your Mac (in my case MBP) and you receive an iMessage, you don't need ro pic up your iPhone, but you simply can type and sent it on you're Mac.
That would be nice if it was there wright?

This feature has not been announced yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it made its way onto the Mac like facetime.

diamond.g
Jun 27, 2011, 06:14 AM

That doesn't seem to be consistently true.

The Phazer
Jun 27, 2011, 06:33 AM

As others have said, there are plenty of scenarios where a phone can have a network connection but no internet connectivity.

If you have a carrier in which a significant amount of texts are bundled for no additional fee (which is almost everyone outside of the US) and are not especially bothered (or even somewhat peturbed) by being notified if a reply is being written, then you're probably better turning iMessage off as the SMS system has significant advantages in terms of retaining battery life and delivery robustness over any mobile internet data based system, iMessage included.

Phazer

Dorv
Jun 27, 2011, 07:49 AM
So iMessage checks of the person who you want to sent an iMessage to has an Internet connection. If not, it will sent an SMS.

And what about iPods?
If you want go sent an iMessage to someone who don't has an Internet connectio at that time, you can sent it anyway, but the person who you're sending to only will get it when he has an Internet connection. Wright?

No clue ... Don't know anyone with an iPod to test it on.

"right"

Dorv
Jun 27, 2011, 07:50 AM
That doesn't seem to be consistently true.

Huh ... How so? That seems to be how it works on all of the playing around I've done with it.

Dorv
Jun 27, 2011, 07:52 AM
...retaining battery life...

Curious to see what, if any impact iMessage has on battery life. My guess, and this is only a guess, but it utilizes the same mechanism for "presence" that Push Notifications do.

The Phazer
Jun 27, 2011, 08:00 AM
Curious to see what, if any impact iMessage has on battery life. My guess, and this is only a guess, but it utilizes the same mechanism for "presence" that Push Notifications do.

I meant more on the sending end than the reception - SMS has nearly no battery overhead whatsoever as it's sent in the phone's ping back to the basestation to confirm it's on the network. iMessage requires a data connection to be established to send the message, which is (relatively) battery intensive. I'm not saying it's a huge issue, but it should exist unless the iPhone is doing something desperately wrong with the way it sends SMS.

Agreed that the presence mechanism is probably not a significant issue if you already have push notifications enabled.

Phazer

auburnfan24
Jun 27, 2011, 08:30 AM
also, there is a new snooze button with the new lock screen images. a lot easier to push while i'm trying to wake up...
http://i51.tinypic.com/2ypn3ar.png

jonnysods
Jun 27, 2011, 08:33 AM
I'm hoping that there will be a lot more tweaking given to the Notification Centre. A little more customization would be nice.

pgyanke
Jun 27, 2011, 08:33 AM
One of my greatest frustrations with my iPhone is the lack of ability to assign a signature to an email account. I have to either type out my professional signature block when I send an email from my office account or erase it when I send from my personal account.

Is this addressed in the new iOS?

diamond.g
Jun 27, 2011, 08:38 AM
Huh ... How so? That seems to be how it works on all of the playing around I've done with it.

I noticed it checked when going from beta 1 to beta 2, but it only seems to want to revert when spending gobs of time trying to send a message. The send changed from blue to green, then back to blue (was riding in an elevator at the time) but my message hadn't been sent.

It doesn't check all the time, I have had a ton of iMessages just pop up out of "nowhere" before.

grmatt
Jun 27, 2011, 08:58 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

damn those annoying pop up bubbles r back? apple what r u doing

I thought the same thing, then I read through the original linked article. It appears that even before this latest update, you could choose between the list view or the more traditional "bubbles." So, with the new update, you still have the option to choose in the settings, but the traditional blue "bubbles" have been updated to this new version that is bigger, dark, and has an app icon in it. So, if you choose list view, you won't see bubbles at all.

cmaier
Jun 27, 2011, 09:10 AM
I thought the same thing, then I read through the original linked article. It appears that even before this latest update, you could choose between the list view or the more traditional "bubbles." So, with the new update, you still have the option to choose in the settings, but the traditional blue "bubbles" have been updated to this new version that is bigger, dark, and has an app icon in it. So, if you choose list view, you won't see bubbles at all.

No. In list view, you get the bubble notification on the lock screen. It lasts just a few seconds and then is replaced by the list. Has nothing to do with if the bubble notifications.

auburnfan24
Jun 27, 2011, 11:08 AM
One of my greatest frustrations with my iPhone is the lack of ability to assign a signature to an email account. I have to either type out my professional signature block when I send an email from my office account or erase it when I send from my personal account.

Not that I've seen, but you can use rich text in your signature in beta 2. which is not a huge deal, but they are getting there....

nazaar
Jun 27, 2011, 11:18 AM
It's about time!

But Lock Sceen should be customizable... Weather, appointments, etc.

Com'on Apple get with!!

citi
Jun 27, 2011, 12:11 PM

+1000. I don't need my business stuff to be attatched to my personal emails. This should have been an option from day one. Would a little active toggle next to your emails accounts kill anyone?

uanuglyfool
Jun 27, 2011, 01:41 PM
Another small thing....

diamond.g
Jun 27, 2011, 01:45 PM
Another small thing....

How did you get that to show up?

neilk2350
Jun 27, 2011, 02:50 PM
It's about time!

But Lock Sceen should be customizable... Weather, appointments, etc.

Com'on Apple get with!!

how come weather widget works in iphone and not ipad? i have weather notifications on. ios5

cmaier
Jun 27, 2011, 03:17 PM
how come weather widget works in iphone and not ipad? i have weather notifications on. ios5

there is no weather app on ipad, and never has been.

neilk2350
Jun 27, 2011, 03:32 PM
there is no weather app on ipad, and never has been.

except in the new notification on ios5 the weather center is listed and you can turnon weather notifications just like on the iphone. it's just that they dont show up

cmaier
Jun 27, 2011, 03:57 PM
except in the new notification on ios5 the weather center is listed and you can turnon weather notifications just like on the iphone. it's just that they dont show up

It's not listed on my ipad 2 gsm.

neilk2350
Jun 27, 2011, 04:20 PM
It's not listed on my ipad 2 gsm.

if i could figure out how to do a screenshot on my gsm ipad i would show you but it is like this:

notifications: calender
game center
mail
messages etc
a bunch more and then:
TWC max + and when you click the weather channel notifications it give you the choice of turning them on and placing them in the message center and the lock screen

you do need the app/ my other app's dont show up in the notification center.

QuarterSwede
Jun 27, 2011, 04:29 PM
if i could figure out how to do a screenshot on my gsm ipad i would show you but it is like this:

game center
mail
messages etc
a bunch more and then:
TWC max + and when you click the weather channel notifications it give you the choice of turning them on and placing them in the message center and the lock screen

TWC app isn't the native iPhone weather app they're talking about. It's interesting that TWC has a setting to put it in the NC though.

cmaier
Jun 27, 2011, 04:54 PM

game center
mail
messages etc
a bunch more and then:

That's a third party app.

We're talking about the "weather" app that is built-in on iphone. That's the app that is making the fancy notification-page widget on iphone, and it doesn't exist on iPad and thus there is not fancy notification-page widget on ipad.

Same thing re: the "stocks" app. No stock tickers on ipad because there is no "stocks" app built-in to ipad.

neilk2350
Jun 27, 2011, 04:58 PM
TWC app isn't the native iPhone weather app they're talking about. It's interesting that TWC has a setting to put it in the NC though.

the other apps showing up under notifications (that i dont want notifications from) are:

gt racing (why would you ever)
epicurious
flixter
the new yorker
nightstand
zillow
paypal

they all include a slider that allows you to put them in the NC. i havent tested them yet, and it may not be functional yet

QuarterSwede
Jun 27, 2011, 05:00 PM
the other apps showing up under notifications (that i dont want notifications from) are:

gt racing (why would you ever)
epicurious
flixter
the new yorker
nightstand
zillow
paypal

they all include a slider that allows you to put them in the NC. i havent tested them yet, and it may not be functional yet
Ah, I think that just means they can show notifications that, consequently, show up in the NC NOT widgets. I don't have iOS 5 on my device to check.

applemagic123
Jun 27, 2011, 10:22 PM
Quickscroll 2 is better.

adcx64
Jun 27, 2011, 10:28 PM
I can't wait for the final release! :D

uanuglyfool
Jun 28, 2011, 01:53 AM
How did you get that to show up?

iMessage failed to send the message. Apple replaced the red exclamation