PDA

View Full Version : powermac g5 wont boot

CRUDE SKINNY B
Jun 26, 2011, 06:50 AM
hi, i have a powermac G5 early 2005 2.3 dual and when i turned it on i got the error message saying that i need to restart, i restarted and i got the same problem but as it was booting, it crashed rebooted again.

I then took out the HDD and added a 1tb hdd in (2 months old still has all my backups on) and tried to install osx on it, however all i got was a folder icon with a flashing ? mark and i could not open the disc drive to reinstall osx.

other points to note, there was a slight burning smell when i tried to boot for the first time today then when i was copying data to the HDD it kept stopping, i tried to use disk utilliy to verify the disk but then the whole computer froze beachball etc.

any help would be appreciated, thanks

CRUDE SKINNY B
Jun 26, 2011, 07:33 AM
just an update.
i reset the pram etc (didnt work)
then i forced open the disk drive and put in the original disc and its now installing so i hope that that works

4corners
Jun 26, 2011, 10:21 AM
Any luck? I had the same problem a few months agon, luckily i had a spare HD to slot in and just did as you are doing, reinstalled OSX. However, now getting a lot of other issues (see my thread for details) so don't think it was the HD at fault in my case!!

CRUDE SKINNY B
Jun 26, 2011, 11:53 AM
update, installed tiger to the new hdd but as i was updating it i got another crash and had to restart my machine again and now it gets to the apple logo and then the fans start going mental, pain in the a*s.

i presume thats its not the hdd as i have tried two hdd and get the same problem.

any help would be great help, cheers