Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpmeloche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
I am using Time Capsule as a router and an external wireless hard drive. I do not use time machine.

From Finder, I see my Time Capsule and double-click on it, which give me a "filename".sparsebundle. When I double-click on this file I am able to mount the drive and everything is fine.

Recently, I connected a windows 7 machine to the network. I am able to use the router and configure Time Capsule using the Airport Utility on my PC. I also have the latest Bonjour for Windows installed.

I have been able to map the time capsule as an external drive (Z:\) and can see the folders. From there, I am able to click on the .sparsebundle file, which allows me to see a folder called "bands". When I open "bands", I get a very long list of files with names like "aad", "bbf", etc. with file sizes of 8192k.

Does anyone know what I have to do to fix this?

Thanks.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
There is nothing you can do to fix this as this is how the Time Capsule is supposed to be. The .sparsebundle file is an image file of your Mac's backup. It's not meant to be mounted as an external drive. Windows cannot mount the .sparsebundle as an image file but rather sees it as a bunch of folders with files inside.

If you want to use the Time Capsule as a wireless hard drive, it's a good idea to actually create a directory with all the files you need to share between computers. This may create duplicate files that you'll need to manually back up (as the Time Capsule doesn't back up folders on its own hard drive), but at least you'll be able to access them from both machines.

Also, it's inadvisable to mount and modify the contents of your backup .sparsebundle file. I do not have any links supporting this, but I can see something like that possibly corrupting your backup.

jpmeloche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Thanks Skorpien. I will atop trying, then.

It is unfortunate that this can't / shouldn't be done, though. I have used the Time Capsule as an external hard drive for months now with my mac and it always worked great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.