Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

W1MRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Hey all

Want to trade in my 18-135 nikon G ED AF-S

For a 35mm prime. I got the lens used from ebay with my D80 and honestly I am more of a prime fanboy.

Ebay is a option but is there a good lens trading forum that wont kill me fee wise anyone would recommend.

Thanks

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Just go to fredmiranda's Buy/Sell forum, though you'll need to subscribe to either the Buy/Sell forum or the image uploader service to get access.

W1MRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Thanks for the tip but not willing to spend the $25 for membership just to sell a item on the forums. I am cheap LOL

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Most of the good (read trustworthy) places to sell/buy/trade that I know of have membership ($$) requirements. Sad but true. Fred Miranda is VERY active and a good site. Can be kinda Cannon heavy at times.

A few of the forums dedicated to particular brands like NikonGear and Nikonians both have pretty good buy/sell/trade forums, but again have membership requirements.

W1MRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Most of the good (read trustworthy) places to sell/buy/trade that I know of have membership ($$) requirements. Sad but true. Fred Miranda is VERY active and a good site. Can be kinda Cannon heavy at times.

A few of the forums dedicated to particular brands like NikonGear and Nikonians both have pretty good buy/sell/trade forums, but again have membership requirements.

Understandable. Was hoping they had one that wasnt. Ebay can be a pain fee wise, and I do not think I would get fair trade in at a camera store. The lens i want is about 219.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Thanks for the tip but not willing to spend the $25 for membership just to sell a item on the forums. I am cheap LOL

There's no free lunch, and if you're expecting one, you'll be disappointed. The tradeoff you get for that membership is a smart userbase with designated buy/sell ratings.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
While I agree with the others in that fora like FM or Nikonians would be a better place to sell, given the low value of your lens, paying the $25 fee is likely going to cost more than what you'd pay in fees at ebay.

The only other alternative I can think of is to post on CL, where there is no fee but you are restricted to local sales only.

W1MRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
While I agree with the others in that fora like FM or Nikonians would be a better place to sell, given the low value of your lens, paying the $25 fee is likely going to cost more than what you'd pay in fees at ebay.

The only other alternative I can think of is to post on CL, where there is no fee but you are restricted to local sales only.

I agree. FM seems like a great place if I were to do alot of trading and seems like a great resource, but does not fit my needs right now. Looks like Ebay will be the way to go. LOL

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
FM is great. Thugh if you are selling your first item to done with massive feedback you may have to ship before payment to get started. Feedback is taken very seriously there. It's also really casual for the most part, which is great..but very very different than eBay and the like. It's a community, not a swap meet...and it's well worth the $25 for anyone who buys and sells even a moderate amount of gear..especially given you can sell anything there, computers, bags, whatever.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Understandable. Was hoping they had one that wasnt. Ebay can be a pain fee wise, and I do not think I would get fair trade in at a camera store. The lens i want is about 219.
You may or may not get a decent price at your local camera store. Also, local camera stores may give al little more if they know you're looking at buying something from them. Figure out how much you might get from selling the lens yourself (after fees) and then see what your camera store offers. The price difference might be small enough to be worth saving yourself the hassle of selling it over the net.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
If you're not afraid of having your kidneys harvested, there's always Craigslist...

I love Craigslist. I have bought and sold many items listed there, including a few pieces of camera gear.

Another place you can (that is free) is Photography on the Net (POTN). It is mainly for Canon users, but there are Nikon users there and some Nikon gear gets sold there as well. I've bought a couple things from the boards.

I think you may have to have 30 posts under your belt before you are allowed to post in the buy/sell boards, so just go to the photo sharing section and help out others by offering honest feedback on their work. You can hit 30 posts in no time that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.