Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knew2mack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
The Beach
Hi everyone

I hope everyone has had a great weekend. I need some help, my friends.
Every time I open the computer, I get asked for the login password/keychain, whatever it's called....the master password for the computer.

This happened when I first got the computer, Oct 08, butI had a friend help me out with it. Some basic steps but I cannot remember what they were. Can someone please guide me as to how to get rid of this annoying process I'm continually asked to do, each & every time I open the computer???

Remember, please, 'hold my hand' step by step PLEASE

THANKS so mucj
dawn

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi Dawn really you need to know that password as you should be asked for it for updates etc.

knew2mack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
The Beach
It's not a matter of knowing the password, I know it, but I'm wondering why I continually get asked to input it, every single time after I had just closed it for a few minutes.

I will be using the computer, close it for a few, then as I reopen it, still having the windows I'm working with open, this password request comes up. This has happened before and someone talked me thru this, how to get the machine to stop doing so, but I cannot remember how.

I know all of my passwords - sorry, I guess I didn't make that part clear.

Please help!!

thanks

atlanticza

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Cape Town
You haven't, by any chance, ticked the option to require a password after sleep or screen saver begins? System Preferences > Security

knew2mack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
The Beach
thanks....I'm gonna go and check this out... I completely understand why I'm asked upon turning it on, but over & over throughout the entire day...not so much. I"m sending a screenshot of what it's asking for....oh and what is 'helper' anyhow?? maybe uninstall this??
Also, does anyone know 'why' something like this happens? I mean, if I have not made any changes to my password??

thanks again, hopefully that link and the steps I need to take will fix it - will keep ya posted

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 27

knew2mack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
The Beach
no luck

HI again my virtual friends....

So I went & followed the steps but...yep there's a but!!! When I did the old password, then it asks again for the old one, along with the new one twice, then it acts as though they want you to input the new one to sign in but when I put it in, it says I have input an invalid password. I did it 3 times, then tried the old password & it went thru fine.

i did this entire process 3 times - any other suggestions???

thanks

oh and does anyone know what 'helper' is??? The only thing I recently did that was different is I installed the latest of Firefox....which I am not using when this request comes in.

HELP:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.