PDA

View Full Version : BestBuy.com Runs Out of MacBook Airs As Refresh Nears

MacRumors
Jun 27, 2011, 12:44 AM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/27/bestbuy-com-runs-out-of-macbook-airs-as-refresh-nears/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/bestbuy1.png

(http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/bestbuy1.png)
BestBuy.com (http://www.bestbuy.com/) has stopped shipping MacBook Airs to customers ahead of expected revisions to the MacBook Air. 9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2011/06/26/bestbuy-com-stops-shipping-macbook-airs-ahead-of-refresh/) speculates this is to divert the limited MacBook Air stock to their retail locations: This typically means that supplies are so constrained that they have to focus their remaining inventory on their popular physical retail stores. BestBuy.com does not provide a date for when they will be shipping the notebooks again, but these types of things are usually indicative of a product refresh.Rumors have all pointed to an imminent refresh of the MacBook Air in the coming weeks. Apple also may be holding up new Macs in order to pre-install the final version of Mac OS X Lion on launch. Mac OS X Lion is due for release in July.

Article Link: BestBuy.com Runs Out of MacBook Airs As Refresh Nears (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/27/bestbuy-com-runs-out-of-macbook-airs-as-refresh-nears/)

wordoflife
Jun 27, 2011, 12:49 AM
Hmm.
What about the white MacBooks? I believe those are older than the current Airs.

Awjvail
Jun 27, 2011, 12:49 AM
This model is still available:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%26%23174%3B+-+MacBook%26%23174%3B+Air+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B2+Duo+Processor+/+13.3%22+Display+/+2GB+Memory+/+128GB+Solid+State+Drive/9119759.p?id=1218026347675&skuId=9119759&st=macbook%20air&cp=1&lp=6

Awjvail
Jun 27, 2011, 12:51 AM
Hmm.

White MacBooks seem to be pretty back-burner. I'm surprised they haven't discontinued them completely.

jmpnop
Jun 27, 2011, 12:51 AM
Can't wait!!

Hmm.

And Mac mini's? I think they'll update it in October (White Macbook was last updated in October)..

srxtr
Jun 27, 2011, 01:02 AM
I'm dying for the new Mac mini!

Where is it??

PorterRocks
Jun 27, 2011, 01:04 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hmm.

I think the white MacBook's days are limited. I can imagine the 11" MBA taking it's place as Apple's entry-level notebook.

Grimace
Jun 27, 2011, 01:07 AM
Like the eMac of years ago, the white Macbook/iBook will soon be toast.

ann713
Jun 27, 2011, 01:10 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think the white MacBook's days are limited. I can imagine the 11" MBA taking it's place as Apple's entry-level notebook.

I disagree, and I think the Macbook will be here for a little while longer. Can't see the 11" MBA taking its place as an entry level either. :confused: The screen size is quite small for the average consumer. If anything, the Macbook helps sales of it's bigger, badder brother, dubbed the "MacBook Pro".

FlameofAnor
Jun 27, 2011, 01:10 AM
The new MacBook Air models will rock!......... that's my educated guess. ;)

wordoflife
Jun 27, 2011, 01:11 AM

Like the eMac of years ago, the white Macbook/iBook will soon be toast.

I hope not. Those machines are great for what they have to offer. I believe they fit nicely between the Air and Pro's. They look pretty nice too.

swingerofbirch
Jun 27, 2011, 01:17 AM
Mac rumors have been stale and boring for a while. No indigos, dalmatians, or cubes . . . so that made the following line fun to read: "Apple also be holding up new Macs in order to pre-install the final version of Mac OS X Lion on launch." I am not complaining about a typo; I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd like to see more posts written in jive, pirate, Irish-English, what have you.

Marx55
Jun 27, 2011, 01:20 AM
Apple should bring to market a lighter and smaller MacBook Air to outsell all the others, as the 11-inch model did with the 13-inch one. Because in this model the priority is not power of battery life but sheer portability. For other features are the MacBook and MacBook Pro.

dawnrazor
Jun 27, 2011, 01:23 AM
Yep agree the macbook is an awesome entry level computer, I can see the 13" MBP replacing it sooner then the AIR, but it really is a gateway computer to the world of apple for many folks, both my sisters have one and they are virgin apple users before they got dirty with the macbook. Long live the macbook, be a shame to see it go...

hwrdrrk
Jun 27, 2011, 01:24 AM
it's still available at bestbuy.com

dawnrazor
Jun 27, 2011, 01:25 AM
oh and I'll say it again - but all the new airs will have will be i5 or i7 processors. mark my words this will be a minor upgrade for sure..... maybe a Tunderbolt too, but I wouldn't bet on it....

Awjvail
Jun 27, 2011, 01:27 AM
oh and I'll say it again - but all the new airs will have will be i5 or i7 processors. mark my words this will be a minor upgrade for sure..... maybe a Tunderbolt too, but I wouldn't bet on it....

I'll bet the farm on Thunderbolt. Apple is rolling it out to all their new computers. It won't catch on if only a few models have them.

Especially considering it doesn't add any extra ports or anything so it isn't like space is an issue.

celticpride678
Jun 27, 2011, 01:30 AM
White MacBooks seem to be pretty back-burner. I'm surprised they haven't discontinued them completely.

I just can't see the MacBook's going! They're what started the modern Mac notebook lineup

Michael383
Jun 27, 2011, 01:36 AM
Looking forward to the new MBA's. However I hope this isn't the end of the white MacBook.

Awjvail
Jun 27, 2011, 01:41 AM
I just can't see the MacBook's going! They're what started the modern Mac notebook lineup

Yes and the 1974 Oldsmobile Toronado was the first car to introduce airbags into automobiles, but they don't make those anymore, do they? :)

Lunchbox700
Jun 27, 2011, 01:44 AM
Yep agree the macbook is an awesome entry level computer, I can see the 13" MBP replacing it sooner then the AIR, but it really is a gateway computer to the world of apple for many folks, both my sisters have one and they are virgin apple users before they got dirty with the macbook. Long live the macbook, be a shame to see it go...

I agree with it being a gateway. I was always interested in macs but my first one that was just mine was the first white ibook, and my wifes was the last white ibook so I'll pour a little out when its completely gone.

Tulpa
Jun 27, 2011, 01:58 AM
The 15" MBPs have the same "not available for shipping" indicator that some of the MBAs do. Does that mean the MBP is getting a refresh too?

(Yes, I'm being sarcastic.)

Mr. Gates
Jun 27, 2011, 02:18 AM
I've always thought the white Mac's were ugly as sin and got dirty fast.

Seriously, the hipster mentality needs be put on hold when buying a computer.

But, if you still want a low powered computing experience in white, may I suggest an iPad?

zeemeerman2
Jun 27, 2011, 02:21 AM
Mac rumors have been stale and boring for a while. No indigos, dalmatians, or cubes . . . so that made the following line fun to read: "Apple also be holding up new Macs in order to pre-install the final version of Mac OS X Lion on launch." I am not complaining about a typo; I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd like to see more posts written in jive, pirate, Irish-English, what have you.

Maybe on Talk Like A Pirate Day? (September 19th) Even those landlubbers at Macrumors should try that. Yarrgh!

igazza
Jun 27, 2011, 02:26 AM
I want to buy the $999 entry level air but only if it has 128GB & 4GB.

is this likely ?

orfeas0
Jun 27, 2011, 03:11 AM

I've always thought the white Mac's were ugly as sin and got dirty fast.

Seriously, the hipster mentality needs be put on hold when buying a computer.

But, if you still want a low powered computing experience in white, may I suggest an iPad?

Very smart. Does ipad run linux? Does it run terminal? Does it run windows, games, encoding, torrent software? Etc, etc... The ipad is a big ipod touch, it is NOT a computer and it cannot replace one (for most people, not all)

the8thark
Jun 27, 2011, 03:17 AM

Very smart. Does ipad run linux? Does it run terminal? Does it run windows, games, encoding, torrent software? Etc, etc... The ipad is a big ipod touch, it is NOT a computer and it cannot replace one (for most people, not all)

But it does email, games, pages, keynote, imovie etc etc. And for 95% of the people who buy the macbook that's enough. They don't want linux or terminal. So if the Macbook was removed from the line up I'm not be disappointed.

Actually the ipad IS a computer. And with iOS 5 it's a PC too. Cause a PC needs to be free from the need of other devices to run. You can google this up easily to verify this. So learn what a computer and what a PC is. The ipad with iOS5 is just a portable touchscreen PC. And for a lot of people it does 100% of what need.

macjacky11
Jun 27, 2011, 03:26 AM
This post does not seem to give any useful info as we already know the refresh one is coming!

Mr. Gates
Jun 27, 2011, 03:42 AM

Then get the Mac Pro or the Air.

There is really no need for the White Mac.

And how many people buying entry level Macs use the Terminal ?

And you know what, If you require all of those features you can always use the App LogMeIn Ignition (https://secure.logmein.com/products/ignition/iPhone/)

jmpnop
Jun 27, 2011, 03:42 AM
But it does email, games, pages, keynote, imovie etc etc. And for 95% of the people who buy the macbook that's enough. They don't want linux or terminal. So if the Macbook was removed from the line up I'm not be disappointed.

Actually the ipad IS a computer. And with iOS 5 it's a PC too. Cause a PC needs to be free from the need of other devices to run. You can google this up easily to verify this. So learn what a computer and what a PC is. The ipad with iOS5 is just a portable touchscreen PC. And for a lot of people it does 100% of what need.

iPad is a tablet, not a PC. iOS is a mobile OS and not a desktop OS.

is this likely ?

4GB RAM as standard likely, 128GB SSD as standard unlikely.

acidfast7
Jun 27, 2011, 04:09 AM
I actually bought one of these when I was in the US. Best Buy was selling them in the store for 938 USD (with no sales tax in New Hampshire.)

That represents a 35% discount over the standard price in Germany, so I pulled the trigger.

It's an OK machine and will see quite a bit of use!

Optimus Frag
Jun 27, 2011, 04:18 AM

Want to know the specs now!!!!!

KnightWRX
Jun 27, 2011, 04:20 AM
The ipad is a big ipod touch, it is NOT a computer and it cannot replace one

The iPad and iPod Touch are both computers.

MacsRgr8
Jun 27, 2011, 04:26 AM
MacBook...

Maybe a low-spec'd 11" MacBook Air with a white casing can be called the new MacBook.

Would be strange if Apple would drop the original "MacBook" name completely.

Awjvail
Jun 27, 2011, 04:28 AM
MacBook...

Maybe a low-spec'd 11" MacBook Air with a white casing can be called the new MacBook.

The polycarbonate would probably be too thick for use on a MBA compared to the aluminum.

MacsRgr8
Jun 27, 2011, 04:31 AM
The polycarbonate would probably be too thick for use on a MBA compared to the aluminum.

Could be promoted as a very robust MacBook then...? ;)

Mike Reed
Jun 27, 2011, 04:37 AM

For me, the C2D upgrade to the new core processors qualify it as more than a minor upgrade. I've been wanting a Macbook Air for a little while now but have been holding off as I figure I might as well get as much performance increase over my older C2D Macbook Pro as possible so long as the price remains the same between last year's and this year's refresh.

I'd also think the Thunderbolt port would be a relatively safe bet. Since they're using them as their video port on the iMacs and Macbook Pros it would make sense to continue standardizing around it.

Mr. Gates
Jun 27, 2011, 04:38 AM
MacBook...

low-spec'd ????

So basically your saying ....Change none of the spec's ? ;):D

peskaa
Jun 27, 2011, 04:40 AM

is this likely ?

4GB is a possibility, 2GB is definitely on the low side for machines these days, and the cost is minimal to Apple. I'd bet more towards the side that 4GB becomes standard in all Airs than not.

128GB SSD as standard in the low end model however isn't going to happen. SSDs cost too much for this to happen at the moment - the base stock model will still be 64GB. In a year or two we may see the prices drop enough for this to happen, but the current trend in SSDs is increasing speeds rather than lowering prices.

res1233
Jun 27, 2011, 04:47 AM

The ipad is a big ipod touch, it is NOT a computer and it cannot replace one

And if you want to be really technical about it, my toaster is a computer too since it probably runs NetBSD.

Mr. Gates
Jun 27, 2011, 05:05 AM

And if you want to be really technical about it, my toaster is a computer too since it probably runs NetBSD.

That's a fair comparison

A toaster to an iPad :rolleyes:

KnightWRX
Jun 27, 2011, 05:27 AM

What kind of toaster is it ? Mine is purely electric, hit a switch and the heating elements turn on. I don't think paying more than 20$ is worth it, but if you have one with a full microprocessor and sensors, maybe share with the rest of us what kind of expensive computer is heating up your breakfeast. ;)

That's a fair comparison

A computer is a very generic device. It's basically a device that takes in input, processes it and produces output while also providing storage. 4 characteristics of a lot of devices beyond the world of PCs, Macs, laptops, tablets basically. That's why it's always funny when someone says the iPad isn't a computer, ignoring what a computer even is.

jmpnop
Jun 27, 2011, 05:59 AM
What kind of toaster is it ? Mine is purely electric, hit a switch and the heating elements turn on. I don't think paying more than 20$ is worth it, but if you have one with a full microprocessor and sensors, maybe share with the rest of us what kind of expensive computer is heating up your breakfeast. ;)

A computer is a very generic device. It's basically a device that takes in input, processes it and produces output while also providing storage. 4 characteristics of a lot of devices beyond the world of PCs, Macs, laptops, tablets basically. That's why it's always funny when someone says the iPad isn't a computer, ignoring what a computer even is.

Technically you're right but usually when people say computer they refer to laptops/desktops. In proper terms, iPad (or any other tablet personal computer) cannot replace a laptop/desktop.

KnightWRX
Jun 27, 2011, 06:08 AM
Technically you're right but usually when people say computer they refer to laptops/desktops.

Which is all right when they say things like "My computer" or "My work computer" or "the computers at work" or stuff like that. But when someone goes out of their way to say "The iPad is not a computer", then, it's completely wrong and needs to be pointed out.

In proper terms, iPad (or any other tablet personal computer) cannot replace a laptop/desktop.

Depends what the laptop/desktop is used for. A lot of people just need e-mail and the web (my step parents come to mind). The iPad works just fine for those.

Roller
Jun 27, 2011, 06:08 AM
I can't wait for the MBA refresh. Not so much because I want one - I do - but to put an end to the endless threads. At least nobody's posted about the need for a backlit keyboard yet. :)

MacsRgr8
Jun 27, 2011, 06:12 AM
low-spec'd ????

So basically your saying ....Change none of the spec's ? ;):D

LOL. I mean even less than the new MBA entry-level...
(i.e. maybe even Core2Duo...)

stockscalper
Jun 27, 2011, 06:19 AM
You'll find the new model after the refresh in the kitchen appliance section of BestBuy right next to the George Foreman grills :D

NutsNGum
Jun 27, 2011, 06:21 AM
Here's that netBSD toaster everyone's harping on about:

http://www.embeddedarm.com/images/misc/netbsd-toaster.jpg

Cali3350
Jun 27, 2011, 06:36 AM
It appears as though you can in fact order Macbook Air's for shipping from the site, and Apple's webstore doesn't show shipping delays yet. Not the most convincing evidence the refresh is imminent imo.

IXDoubleDXI
Jun 27, 2011, 06:36 AM
I bought an MBA on BestBuy.com on Saturday the 18th. This has been fluctuating since at least the 16th as I kept checking to see when they would go in and out of stock and when my nearest store had it available for pick up and when it didn't. I'd keep an eye on Apple.com over BestBuy.com, when there delivery dates get pushed further out, then the refresh will be coming.

foidulus
Jun 27, 2011, 06:37 AM

You can sort of see how Apple sees it's own computer lineup by going to apple.com/mac

and looking at the order they line the computer up. It's no accident that the macbook air and iMac are the ones in the center, those are the machines Apple really wants to sell. Going out one further and you see the mini and mbp, while not Apple's darlings, they sell relatively well so Apple put them next. Then on the very edges of the lineup you see the macbook and mac pro. These are the machines Apple is only carrying because it doesn't want to totally abandon their respective market segments. These are the computers that sell the least and go the longest amount of time between updates.....

orfeas0
Jun 27, 2011, 06:47 AM

it's a computer with the technical term of it. but it CANNOT replace a laptop/desktop. Sure, it does a lot of stuff that a laptop does, but can you import pics/movies from a camera? can you download anything you want from the internet , and open it with your program of preference? can you ... use a mouse on it?
Then get the Mac Pro or the Air.

There is really no need for the White Mac.

And how many people buying entry level Macs use the Terminal ?

And you know what, If you require all of those features you can always use the App LogMeIn Ignition (https://secure.logmein.com/products/ignition/iPhone/)
The white mac is the cheapest 13" macbook there is, that's why we need it. Sure I could buy a MBA instead of the macbook, but for the same money i would get a 11", which is too small for me. it's not bad, i have thought about it but i believe it's too small, i like movies etc... which means the minimum price for a 13" macbook is now 1300$ for the air or pro!
ok, connect a usb mouse, a dvd reader/write, a usb camera, an hdmi out and then tell me it's a computer. as someone else mentioned, a toaster is a computer too, but that's not what we usually mean with the word computer..!

KnightWRX
Jun 27, 2011, 06:52 AM
ok, connect a usb mouse, a dvd reader/write, a usb camera, an hdmi out and then tell me it's a computer.

I can't seem to find the USB ports on our IBM zSeries mainframe. I guess that's not a computer either. ;)

All those things have nothing do with something being a computer or not. Heck, my 386 is a computer, yet I can't plug a DVD reader, a USB mouse, a USB camera in it nor does it have HDMI out.

as someone else mentioned, a toaster is a computer too

Highly dependant on the toaster. Mine is completely electric. It lacks processing and storage thus it is not a computer. I'd say that there's probably very few toasters capable of computing.

but that's not what we usually mean with the word computer..!

But you should be careful when you say something is not a computer. It's fine to use the word computer to define your laptop desktop. You can very much call a square a rectangle because it is. But to go out of your way to call a shape that has 4 sides and 4 right angles "not a rectangle" because you can't plug a USB mouse into it is quite wrong. ;)

tigres
Jun 27, 2011, 07:02 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't expect the air to get a huge refresh, that is not how apple rolls in the upgrade category.

Also, I would be shocked if they killed the MacBook line. We as a family own 2 and for 849 on the refurb store, that is on capable machine. The only one in fact that represents the name "MacBook".

KnightWRX
Jun 27, 2011, 07:04 AM
I don't expect the air to get a huge refresh, that is not how apple rolls in the upgrade category.

Minor spec bumps accross the board (maybe a few models with 4GB ram standard ? 128 GB SSD/256 GB SSDs earlier in the pricing), Sandy Bridge with Intel IGP and maybe thunderbolt (space concerns could prevent this).

No one is expecting a huge refresh, the thing just got a keynote and a big redesign last October.

res1233
Jun 27, 2011, 07:07 AM

That's a fair comparison

Believe it or not, but many devices run some sort of basic OS such as NetBSD. That flavor of BSD happens to not be all that feature packed. Their primary focus is performance and stability, which is ideal for many basic devices such as a toaster. It depends on exactly how advanced of a toaster it is I guess.

ColdFlame87
Jun 27, 2011, 07:11 AM
com·put·er/kəmˈpyo͞otər/Noun
1. An electronic device for storing and processing data, typically in binary form, according to instructions given to it in a variable program.

Sounds like an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch to me.

KnightWRX
Jun 27, 2011, 07:13 AM
Believe it or not, but many devices run some sort of basic OS such as NetBSD. That flavor of BSD happens to not be all that feature packed. Their primary focus is performance and stability, which is ideal for many basic devices such as a toaster. It depends on exactly how advanced of a toaster it is I guess.

I know of NetBSD. I've known of it since the 90s don't worry. But again, my toaster is a 20$ electric affair with a thermostat, it does not do any processing, nor is it programmable and especially doesn't offer storage of any kind (except for loose bread crumbs on the bottom rack). ;)

The point remains, while you were technically trying to make a joke, a microwave oven would've actually been a better choice, since I don't think any of those have been produced without at least a micro-controller for the last 20 years or so.

subsonix
Jun 27, 2011, 07:14 AM
Perhaps we can end this discussion by agreeing that it's not a PC? :D

hotcocoa
Jun 27, 2011, 07:22 AM
I'll bet the farm on Thunderbolt. Apple is rolling it out to all their new computers. It won't catch on if only a few models have them.

Especially considering it doesn't add any extra ports or anything so it isn't like space is an issue.

I suspect you are probably right, but there are two issues. Although the port takes no extra space, the controller on the motherboard will. The motherboard seems pretty packed already. The other potential issue is cost. I've never read any estimate of what it costs Apple to add Thunderbolt, but as a percentage it will be more for the Airs than it is for the MBPs or iMacs.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Thunderbolt. Will it be a high-end feature reserved for "pro" macs, or will they add it to all macs? I think it is still something of an open question until we actually see lower priced macs with the port. When we know the answer it will give us more insight as to Apple's intentions with this technology.

azentropy
Jun 27, 2011, 07:22 AM
Can't wait!!

And Mac mini's? I think they'll update it in October (White Macbook was last updated in October)..

No, the White Macbook was last updated in May 2010 (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook). It has been over 400 days.

TC400
Jun 27, 2011, 07:25 AM
I want a black laptop from them so bad. Come on Apple.

azentropy
Jun 27, 2011, 07:26 AM
Minor spec bumps accross the board (maybe a few models with 4GB ram standard ? 128 GB SSD/256 GB SSDs earlier in the pricing), Sandy Bridge with Intel IGP and maybe thunderbolt (space concerns could prevent this).

No one is expecting a huge refresh, the thing just got a keynote and a big redesign last October.

No, it won't have a major case redesign or anything, but I don't consider going SB and adding thunderbolt a "minor" spec bump.

macnisse
Jun 27, 2011, 07:31 AM
Really looking fwd to the new MBA specs :D

Acerone
Jun 27, 2011, 07:36 AM
A 15" MB Air would be amazing. What are our chances?

KnightWRX
Jun 27, 2011, 07:38 AM
No, it won't have a major case redesign or anything, but I don't consider going SB and adding thunderbolt a "minor" spec bump.

Neither do I, nor did I say that. It's still just a spec bump, not a huge refresh.

I wouldn't be 100% sure of Thunderbolt though, because of space concerns on the logic board.

(Hint : Minor spec bump in my post was talking about all the other specs, RAM, HD space, stuff like that, hence why I mentionned SB and TB seperately afterwards).

ugru
Jun 27, 2011, 07:39 AM

Chances = 0

Bear
Jun 27, 2011, 07:41 AM
It appears as though you can in fact order Macbook Air's for shipping from the site, and Apple's webstore doesn't show shipping delays yet. Not the most convincing evidence the refresh is imminent imo.The shipping date not changing on the Apple Store actually doesn't indicate anything at all. What Apple has been known to do instead is to put the orders into backorder after they are placed.

We know an update is due for the Airs. Ww know that it will happen with or just after the Lion release most likely. The odds are Best Buy is letting their stock decline, so they don't have to deal with outdated inventory.

stadlin
Jun 27, 2011, 07:45 AM

that would be awesome! A 15"MBP without ODD and more mobile...

hotcocoa
Jun 27, 2011, 07:45 AM

My guess is that the chance of that this summer is pretty low. Maybe next spring's MBP refresh will basically be a 15" MBA, although it probably won't be called that.

Stok3
Jun 27, 2011, 07:51 AM
I disagree, and I think the Macbook will be here for a little while longer. Can't see the 11" MBA taking its place as an entry level either. :confused: The screen size is quite small for the average consumer. If anything, the Macbook helps sales of it's bigger, badder brother, dubbed the "MacBook Pro".

thus the label "entry level"

azentropy
Jun 27, 2011, 07:53 AM
Neither do I, nor did I say that. It's still just a spec bump, not a huge refresh.

I wouldn't be 100% sure of Thunderbolt though, because of space concerns on the logic board.

(Hint : Minor spec bump in my post was talking about all the other specs, RAM, HD space, stuff like that, hence why I mentionned SB and TB seperately afterwards).

Hint: "across the board" doesn't mean what you think it means then... ;)

reputationZed
Jun 27, 2011, 07:58 AM

The real question is when will any Thunderbolt peripherals be available, and will there be a premium over USB? Can you even buy TB cables yet?

trondhb
Jun 27, 2011, 08:02 AM
Does someone know if it is in any way possible to buy an MacBook Air with a norwegian keyboard in an US Apple Store (a "physical" store, not online) ? As I am going to New York in September that would be just perfect. Why? The 13" version costing $1.299 in the US costs about $2.000 here in Norway... Although it would probably be worth it even with a US keyboard, of course it's better to have a norwegian one.

I am aware of that it is not possible online, although for some reason spanish, french or japanese keyboards are available... Of course I realise that it is more demand for these languages and that's probably why they are there, but as they probably come from the same factory anyway I can't really see why it should be more difficult with a norwegian one ? I would be happy to make a "special order" with an Apple Store in New York if so needed.

islanders
Jun 27, 2011, 08:06 AM
The 13'' MBA and 15'' MBP with Hi Res AG are on the top of my list because of the screen quality.

The light weight of the MBA is great but I hope the future of MBP isn't non upgradable just to make it look extra sexy and thin like the MBA.

For me the MBP being upgradable is a real advantage.

KnightWRX
Jun 27, 2011, 08:06 AM
Hint: "across the board" doesn't mean what you think it means then... ;)

Slowly again for you :

Minor spec bumps accross the board (meaning the whole line-up, not the whole range of specs) + Sandy Bridge (aside from the minor spec bumps) + maybe thunderbolt.

Clearer now my pedantic friend ? ;) (and there I thought being back at work on a Monday, I didn't have to worry about my syntax needing to be complete and exact after a weekend of playing around with GCC).

mex4eric
Jun 27, 2011, 08:24 AM
Why would they hold up the MacBook Air for Lion? Crazy. The update mechanisms are so great. They should release them with Snow Leopard just to show off the Mac App Store update ease. Airs are portable enough to take them to a MacDonalds or StarBucks or Panera to update them. Maybe sign the customers up to an iTunes account as they buy the Air.

RMo
Jun 27, 2011, 08:24 AM
Ignoring the "white" part, I'm not really sure that it makes sense to complain that the MacBook is "low-powered" when we're comparing it to a Macbook Air. Yes, please, cut my processor speed in half, make me work for the ports I need, and make it almost cost more, too. :D

Some people like the feature-vs-price point of the MacBook. Its continued existence will not harm you in any way.

BornAgainMac
Jun 27, 2011, 08:25 AM
No, the White Macbook was last updated in May 2010 (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook). It has been over 400 days.

I bet the Macbook is dead. It doesn't fit in the current Mac lineup. Dropping the price of the Macbook Pro should help.

winston1236
Jun 27, 2011, 08:31 AM

its true, i bought the macbook as my first apple computer because i wanted to see if i liked the platform before spending much more on the pro

Dr McKay
Jun 27, 2011, 08:32 AM
I hate to be a wet blanket, but isnt it highly flawed logic, basing a refresh on a shop running out of stock?

jonnysods
Jun 27, 2011, 08:32 AM
I wonder about the price points and storage on these. I hope this doesn't make me regret getting the 13" MBP!

subsonix
Jun 27, 2011, 08:34 AM
I bet the Macbook is dead. It doesn't fit in the current Mac lineup. Dropping the price of the Macbook Pro should help.

They could also dump the price of the Macbook, but keeping the specs essentially the same. There could be a significant group that still prefers it over an Air and can't justify the Pro model. I guess only Apple knows the exact distribution of sales figures between the models, but if there are customers it will probably not disappear.

Stok3
Jun 27, 2011, 08:36 AM
I hate to be a wet blanket, but isnt it highly flawed logic, basing a refresh on a shop running out of stock?

LOL um this is the typical method of analytic deduction, not only for Apple products but for almost all consumer products on the market. If the stock of a product is running low on the shelves then there is a good chance it is being replaced, if not by the same thing than something new. in this case its Macbook Airs.

They could also dump the price of the Macbook, but keeping the specs essentially the same. There could be a significant group that still prefers it over an Air and can't justify the Pro model. I guess only Apple knows the exact distribution of sales figures between the models, but if there are customers it will probably not disappear.

With the Macbook Air there really is no place left for the standard Macbook, especially with the Ipad in the mix. It appears to me that the car/truck metaphor is coming to fruition (pun intended :D)

subsonix
Jun 27, 2011, 08:41 AM
With the Macbook Air there really is no place left for the standard Macbook, especially with the Ipad in the mix. It appears to me that the car/truck metaphor is coming to fruition (pun intended :D)

Wouldn't you need access to the sales figures to say something like that? If there are customers it makes sense to keep it, unless it cannibalize some other product.

Stok3
Jun 27, 2011, 08:49 AM
Wouldn't you need access to the sales figures to say something like that? If there are customers it makes sense to keep it, unless it cannibalize some other product.

Why would i need sales statistics. the CEO of Apple said all this himself. Obviously with this being a rumor site its pure speculation on my behalf but with the continuous growth of the Mac platform now would be a good time to drop the unnecessary products and introduce any news ones. Also if they plan on going with the Consumer vs Pro lineup the Macbook will probably cannibalize MBP sales.

thenumbersrbad
Jun 27, 2011, 09:01 AM

I was just in a best buy last night and saw a sign the table with the Apple products that said New Mac Book Air next to the Airs...I hope they weren't trying to sucker people into buying the ones they had left in stock lol

JohnDoe98
Jun 27, 2011, 09:03 AM
it's a computer with the technical term of it. but it CANNOT replace a laptop/desktop. Sure, it does a lot of stuff that a laptop does, but can you import pics/movies from a camera?

Yes I can.

can you download anything you want from the internet , and open it with your program of preference?

Yes, again, I do this all the time on mine.

can you ... use a mouse on it?

Seriously? This is not the 90s anymore, mouses aren't needed.

ok, connect a usb mouse, a dvd reader/write,

These devices are obsolete.

a usb camera, an hdmi out and then tell me it is a computer

Why plug in a camera when it has one built in? Want higher quality picks? No prob shoot them and plug in the camera connection kit to pull the images off of it. As for hdmi out, yep the ipad has it, and perhaps even better, it has wireless display mirroring so you don't even need to waste money on hdmi adapters.

Roman2K~
Jun 27, 2011, 09:16 AM
@JohnDoe98
orfeas0 was talking about the iPad, not MacBooks.

BornAgainMac
Jun 27, 2011, 09:28 AM

In the past, Apple didn't do that with prior entry level models like the iMac G3, eMac G4, soon the iPod Classic if you include iPods and XServe was never updated so they dropped it. Instead they kept the price artificially high to keep the sales low and then dropped it.

In the past, it looked like the Air and Mac Mini were going to be dropped but they refreshed them so there is hope for the White Macbook.

KnightWRX
Jun 27, 2011, 09:32 AM
@JohnDoe98

And so was JohnDoe98 ;)

Anyway, again, iPad == computer, same as my IBM zSeries. Neither can use a USB mouse, but then again, computers are not defined by the use of USB mouses or not.

islanders
Jun 27, 2011, 09:50 AM
Look folks I think we know the difference between a tablet and a lap top. Back to topic please! ;)

NAG
Jun 27, 2011, 09:51 AM

Okay lets go through the list here of things you think most people need and what the iPad can do.

Linux: Most people need this? What? When did the year of linux on the desktop happen? Did I teleport to an alternate universe?

Terminal: Depends on what you want to do with it. There are many terminal apps that can remote access another machine. Due to the locked down nature of iOS devices it, unfortunately, cannot access the iOS device itself unless you jailbreak. Additionally, most people use the terminal? Is this because everyone is using Linux in this universe? Wow, I better learn more about this universe before going outside, a flying car might hit me. :)

Windows: Macs couldn't run Windows for a long time, at least not without emulation. Does that mean a Mac wasn't a computer? There are various emulators for the iOS but I am not aware of a Windows one, I'm not sure I'd want to run Windows on a touch device anyway (and most people agree since Windows tablets went no where). And if you must due to work, you'll probably have a Citrix server you can log in to on the iPad using the app.

Games: Huh? Most of the App Store consists of games.

Torrent: Restricted from the App Store because of questionable legality (in Apple's opinion). Again, most people torrent? Weird universe.

Well, good to know what most people do in this universe. I guess I'll have to live without web browsing and emailing here since apparently no one does that. Not to mention I'll have to stop taking photos and organizing and editing them as well as the occasional video. Man, I can't wait to go to a coffee shop or whatever you guys have in this universe, Lan party shops?

astrofaes
Jun 27, 2011, 09:54 AM
And so was JohnDoe98 ;)

Anyway, again, iPad == computer, same as my IBM zSeries. Neither can use a USB mouse, but then again, computers are not defined by the use of USB mouses or not.

Can we stop trying to argue about whether an iPad is a computer or not! This is a thread about constrained supplies for the Macbook Air :)

I need moar MBA rumourz!

mrklaw
Jun 27, 2011, 09:55 AM

doesn't it internally require quite a lot of space for the chipset? at least for an air

KnightWRX
Jun 27, 2011, 10:01 AM
Can we stop trying to argue about whether an iPad is a computer or not! This is a thread about constrained supplies for the Macbook Air :)

What else is there to mention about the MBA ? We've been "talking" about this refresh for 2 months now.

JohnDoe98
Jun 27, 2011, 10:05 AM
@JohnDoe98

So was I sport.

Bear
Jun 27, 2011, 10:10 AM
Does someone know if it is in any way possible to buy an MacBook Air with a norwegian keyboard in an US Apple Store (a "physical" store, not online) ?
...It is not something that a US Apple Store would stock. Most if not all of the stores would only have the US/English keyboard. A few might have some with Spanish keyboards in stock, but that is very location dependent.

JohnDoe98
Jun 27, 2011, 10:13 AM

Seems like I missed this post when I addressed what the ipad could do in my other one. So let's review:

linux? nope, but who cares?
Windows? nope, but again who cares? Before bootcamp macs couldn't run windows either, did that mean they weren't computers? Of course not. Running those OSs seems like an arbitrary thing to bring up.

Terminal? Yep.
Encoding? Not as of yet, but if you think there is a need for it, you have yourself a golden opportunity to write encoding software for iOS. Maybe you'll make it rich!
Torrent Software? Yep.
Games? Did you really mention this? Do you even know what an ipad is?

Got any more barriers? So far the only points that you have pointed out that can't be done is, no (USB) mouse, and no alternative OSs. Well, if you want, you can connect a bluetooth mouse to your ipad and design software to utilize it if you like it so much.

Ingot
Jun 27, 2011, 10:17 AM

Thank you. I missed that the first time. Then I laughed quietly to myself. Now I must get back to work...

JohnDoe98
Jun 27, 2011, 10:18 AM
It is not something the a US Apple Store would stock. Most if not all of the stores would only have the US/English keyboard. A few might have some with Spanish keyboards in stock, but that is very location dependent.

Perhaps they can special order it for him?

42streetsdown
Jun 27, 2011, 10:20 AM

But then what is Apple going to do with all those Carbon Fiber specialists they hired recently? The MacBook is the only thing they make (aside from :apple:TV) that would use carbon fiber composite plastics. They certainly aren't going to replace the aluminum design of the MBP with plastic, and the MBA wouldn't be able to be thin. I think Apple has plans for the MacBook, even if it isn't their front runner.

Kebabselector
Jun 27, 2011, 10:20 AM
There could be a significant group that still prefers it over an Air and can't justify the Pro model.

That'll be me then!

Apple need a decent specification entry level laptop, currently the Macbook fits the bill (yeah I know there are better specified laptops out there). The MBA is around the same price point but suffers if you want a decent capacity HDD.

I hope the white Macbook stays, as it's most likely my next Mac purchase (unless by some miracle the 13" MBP gets a matte option - I know the Macbook is glossy, but the lack of glass makes it more usable for me).

codyc815
Jun 27, 2011, 10:23 AM
Hmm.

They recently doubles the education discount for the white MacBook, taking it from $50 to $100 off. No one seems interested in the MacBook, and I think Apple knows this. It really wouldn't surprise me if they get rid of the MacBook Air and just rename them the MacBook.

astrofaes
Jun 27, 2011, 10:29 AM
What else is there to mention about the MBA ? We've been "talking" about this refresh for 2 months now.

You are correct, but that doesn't mean that a thread about MBA should be hijacked with a discussion over whether an iPad is a computer or not? Perhaps that discussion warrants it's own thread in the iPad forums.

KnightWRX
Jun 27, 2011, 10:30 AM
You are correct, but that doesn't mean that a thread about MBA should be hijacked with a discussion over whether an iPad is a computer or not? Perhaps that discussion warrants it's own thread in the iPad forums.

Why ? We've been having that conversation for a year now, a new thread on it would just be beating a dead horse :D

NAG
Jun 27, 2011, 10:44 AM
Why ? We've been having that conversation for a year now, a new thread on it would just be beating a dead horse :D

Besides, it is relevant here. With iOS 5 and iCloud the only significant barrier to people only having an iOS device goes away (updates, backups, syncing). Most people do not need an OS X or Windows 7 computer. Many people only use their computers for browsing the web, email, light word processing a social network, photos, and video. The iPad can do all of this (and it helps if you have a bluetooth keyboard for the word processing). Pretty much the only thing I can think of that it can't do is financial software and many people are using their bank websites these days. And you can use either the HDMI adaptor or an AppleTV if you want a big screen.

The MacBook is being squeezed out on both ends – iPad from below and MacBook Air from above.

PS: Yes, I know this isn't everyone. I just believe a significant segment of the market could get away with only an iPad or a device like an iPad, not that every single person could.

Gemütlichkeit
Jun 27, 2011, 10:46 AM
Still won't be able to afford it for a while lol. I'll have to unload my MacBook Pro on craigslist or something.

RobQuads
Jun 27, 2011, 10:47 AM
, and the MBA wouldn't be able to be thin.

Why? Carbon can be thin yet stil very very strong.

kwiiboy
Jun 27, 2011, 10:58 AM
it's a computer with the technical term of it. but it CANNOT replace a laptop/desktop. Sure, it does a lot of stuff that a laptop does, but can you import pics/movies from a camera? can you download anything you want from the internet , and open it with your program of preference? can you ... use a mouse on it?

The white mac is the cheapest 13" macbook there is, that's why we need it. Sure I could buy a MBA instead of the macbook, but for the same money i would get a 11", which is too small for me. it's not bad, i have thought about it but i believe it's too small, i like movies etc... which means the minimum price for a 13" macbook is now 1300$ for the air or pro!

ok, connect a usb mouse, a dvd reader/write, a usb camera, an hdmi out and then tell me it's a computer. as someone else mentioned, a toaster is a computer too, but that's not what we usually mean with the word computer..!

I think you're missing the point of a TABLET.

azentropy
Jun 27, 2011, 10:58 AM
Slowly again for you :

Minor spec bumps accross the board (meaning the whole line-up, not the whole range of specs) + Sandy Bridge (aside from the minor spec bumps) + maybe thunderbolt.

Clearer now my pedantic friend ? ;) (and there I thought being back at work on a Monday, I didn't have to worry about my syntax needing to be complete and exact after a weekend of playing around with GCC).

Wow sorry, but you used crapy syntax and sentence structure. I know what you mean now, but that is not what you wrote. Not sure how that is my fault or why you are so upset about it or why you had to be so snotty and condescending about it.

mcmlxix
Jun 27, 2011, 11:48 AM
That's a fair comparison

Hey...my first Mac was a beige toaster.

deavon
Jun 27, 2011, 11:49 AM
You can sort of see how Apple sees it's own computer lineup by going to apple.com/mac

and looking at the order they line the computer up. It's no accident that the macbook air and iMac are the ones in the center, those are the machines Apple really wants to sell. Going out one further and you see the mini and mbp, while not Apple's darlings, they sell relatively well so Apple put them next. Then on the very edges of the lineup you see the macbook and mac pro. These are the machines Apple is only carrying because it doesn't want to totally abandon their respective market segments. These are the computers that sell the least and go the longest amount of time between updates.....

Not to mention the fact that the hero image on that page features both of those devices as well:

http://images.apple.com/mac/home/images/promo_lead_osx.jpg

KnightWRX
Jun 27, 2011, 11:58 AM
Wow sorry, but you used crapy syntax and sentence structure. I know what you mean now, but that is not what you wrote. Not sure how that is my fault or why you are so upset about it or why you had to be so snotty and condescending about it.

I'm neither upset nor was I snotty and condescending. I rewrote my sentence for your benefit since you were being pedantic (that's not an insult either, my compiler also has a pedantic mode, enabled with the -pedantic switch, where it tells me every last bit of syntax shortcuts I shouldn't take).

Why are you so mad that it took me 3 tries to make you understand my point ? :confused:

orfeas0
Jun 27, 2011, 12:04 PM
Do you people really believe the white macbook should be discontinued or doesn't fit in the macbook line?

That's because apple stopped updating them.
When the macbook and macbook pro 13" were on par (same processors etc), the macbook was 100$ cheaper with the same internal specs (cpu-gpu-ram-hdd), and the only things it was missing were some ports and the aluminum design (yes yes and backlit keyboard, which it doesn't need becaus it has white keys).

Now, if they refresh the macbook and give it the same specs as the 13" MBP (maybe which a bunch of ports, but include thunderbolt), how is that not "fitting in the macbook line"?.
Some time ago, the macbook was as much powerful as the mbp, and cheaper! That's why people bought it! That's why people will buy it if it gets refreshed! That's why it's apple best-selling laptop!

off-topic (about the ipad discussion): The main point I was trying to make when comparing the ipad to macbooks was that you can't "just" have an iPad. You will need a laptop at some point. Don't believe me? Do you know anyone with an ipad who doesn't own a personal computer? Although, until now, the iPad needed itunes to be configured, but even after iOS5, I can't think someone will only have an iPad without a pc...

JohnDoe98
Jun 27, 2011, 12:12 PM
off-topic (about the ipad discussion): The main point I was trying to make when comparing the ipad to macbooks was that you can't "just" have an iPad. You will need a laptop at some point. Don't believe me? Do you know anyone with an ipad who doesn't own a personal computer? Although, until now, the iPad needed itunes to be configured, but even after iOS5, I can't think someone will only have an iPad without a pc...

Someone, in 1888, "You can't just have a car, you will need a horse at some point. Don't believe me? Do you know anyone with a car who doesn't own a horse?"

Someone, some short time ago, "you can't just have a computer without a floppy drive. You will need external floppy disks at some point. Don't believe me? Do you know anyone with a computer who doesn't currently own a floppy drive?"

islanders
Jun 27, 2011, 01:52 PM
MBA is on 4 of the 7 Apple site Lion promotion images:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Looking more and more like July 5th for both MBA and Lion.

ann713
Jun 27, 2011, 03:15 PM
MBA is on 4 of the 7 Apple site Lion promotion images:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Looking more and more like July 5th for both MBA and Lion.

Why are you so persistent on this? Being on four of the seven promo images doesn't equal July 4th.

trondhb
Jun 27, 2011, 03:40 PM
Perhaps they can special order it for him?
Yes, that's is what I'm hoping for :) Of course I don't expect any US store to have any machines with a norwegian keyboard in store, but if it's possible I would be happy to special order one in advance and pick it up when I get there.

But then I need to get in touch with someone that might be able to help me, preferably some of the Apple Stores in New York. Any ideas how? Or even better; maybe someone planning a visit there some day could be so kind to ask someone for me?

Any further help will be highly appreciated :)

Btw; I would also need a "norwegian" power supply, two-pin sockets here...

srxtr
Jun 27, 2011, 05:31 PM
Desktop - type of computer
Laptop - type of computer
Tablet - type of computer

nuff said

islanders
Jun 27, 2011, 08:24 PM
Why are you so persistent on this? Being on four of the seven promo images doesn't equal July 4th.

Who said anything about July 4th? :rolleyes:

Dark Void
Jun 27, 2011, 08:27 PM
i didn't even know people purchased macs from best buy...

i suppose it's a good sign though, new mba is around the corner.

NiKeZz
Jun 27, 2011, 10:21 PM
Just for slits and giggles.. Both 16GB iPhone 4's are not available for shipping nor is the regular white macbook. Does that really mean anything?

adcx64
Jun 27, 2011, 10:30 PM
I hope the new MBA has Thunderbolt connectivity.

ann713
Jun 27, 2011, 10:56 PM
Who said anything about July 4th? :rolleyes:

Oh whoops, July 5th. :rolleyes:

AidenShaw
Jun 27, 2011, 11:27 PM
Oh whoops, July 5th. :rolleyes:

OMG, the 5th is a Tuesday!

Obi Wan Kenobi
Jun 28, 2011, 03:26 PM

Ah well, if you pick a date that's a Tuesday, then MBA's are sure to magically appear.:rolleyes:

Duke15
Jul 1, 2011, 11:27 AM
Its still available on the canadian BB website

DrDomVonDoom
Jul 1, 2011, 01:17 PM
This is whats gonna happen, their gotta drop the current MacBook, and turn the MacBook Air into the MacBook, then they are gonna offer two versions. A plastic white macbook air that will be even cheaper then the MBA, my guess somewhere between 600-800, and the Silver MBA which will cost the 999.00 effectively covering a broad range of prices that Apple had never been able to claim before.

Then....pigs will fly. and Pink Floyd fans will rejooice.

robvas
Jul 4, 2011, 06:41 PM
i didn't even know people purchased macs from best buy...

i suppose it's a good sign though, new mba is around the corner.

Not everyone has an Apple store nearby.

My local store (#405) is selling their 11" display unit for $738...

islanders
Jul 4, 2011, 07:13 PM
Are they out of stock or not at Best Buy? The Airs are back in stock at my local BB stores? Were they just back ordered?

KnightWRX
Jul 4, 2011, 08:13 PM

Except Apple usually releases on Wednesdays when Monday is a holiday. ;)