Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

{1984}

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2002
New York City
Did anyone read the New York Times a couple of weeks ago???
The Appl store in SoHo got a huge shipment of computers robbed...
over $200,000 in compters jacked...

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
Man, i didn't read that. thats awful. i was there for the opening on the 18th, its such a great store. well, whatever soulless creature could possibly do a horrible thing such as this will surely pay. Go rob a Gateway country or something.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
It wouldnt be worth it to rob a Gateway store would it???

Attachments

• partingshot_20020920.gif
    partingshot_20020920.gif
    36 KB · Views: 1,010

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Lots of Apple stores have been robbed.. The one in phoenix AZ was robbed twice. The one in SoHo was just the worst of the robberies.

dotcomlarry

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Akron, PA
Perhaps they should install steel doors that drop down in front of the windows and doors the instant the windows smash... with the Apple logo on them, and underneath the logo say, "Hi."

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
sheesh

somebody must need the power of the g4 in order to steal it, when was the last time you heard of a gateway country being robbed, oh well that just goes to show you the appeal of apple.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by dotcomlarry
Perhaps they should install steel doors that drop down in front of the windows and doors the instant the windows smash... with the Apple logo on them, and underneath the logo say, "Hi."

Hehehe... or how about "Say Hello to Prison." :D

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
ya, bouncers that resemble steve jobs but really muscular looking..lol

they should beef up security n such...computer stores dont seem to have as much security as like a walmart or some other department store (atleast here)

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
Re: sheesh

Originally posted by davidc2182
somebody must need the power of the g4 in order to steal it, when was the last time you heard of a gateway country being robbed, oh well that just goes to show you the appeal of apple.

in new york, im sure apple's are HUGE since its a very style concious city...imagine the profits to be had selling macs below cost, at a 100% profit... i cant imagine anyone stealin a large shipment for personal uses...and yes apple needs better security, if i weren't such a nice person i could easily grab a TiBook and disappear into the crowded mall.

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
Re: Re: sheesh

Originally posted by BongHits

in new york, im sure apple's are HUGE since its a very style concious city...imagine the profits to be had selling macs below cost, at a 100% profit... i cant imagine anyone stealin a large shipment for personal uses...and yes apple needs better security, if i weren't such a nice person i could easily grab a TiBook and disappear into the crowded mall.
btw, who here has NOT gotten free software from an Apple Store via their ipod?
meant to hit edit...obviously did not...

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
Lots of Apple stores have been robbed.. The one in phoenix AZ was robbed twice. The one in SoHo was just the worst of the robberies.

at night?

don't these malls have alarms?

or guards?

it must be an insider.

:D

---

don't you just love conspiracy theories?

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
maybe the thief or thieves are the "modern robin hoods"

they want to help increase apple "acceptance".

but because apple products are not like apple produce (= cheap), not a lot of people would buy apple.

although it sounds bad, these thieves might just doing "marketing."

---

suggestion: how about cheaper macs, apple? :)

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
free story on an apple store in a local paper. Why wouldn't that help promote apple ?

I know it would be pushing it to say that they'd make the money back from the robbery in extra sales, surely insurance plus the fact new customers might come to the stores out of curiousity and buy something could be seen as a positive thing for apple.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Re: free story on an apple store in a local paper. Why wouldn't that help promote app

Originally posted by barkmonster
I know it would be pushing it to say that they'd make the money back from the robbery in extra sales, surely insurance plus the fact new customers might come to the stores out of curiousity and buy something could be seen as a positive thing for apple.

Donald Trump once said that there's no such thing as bad publicity. Afterall, they didn't waste their time robbing a PC store, even though theoretically they would have an easier time selling them. Maybe street-smart New Yorkers will perk up their ears at the Mac now...

Rob Different!

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
If you are going to sell stolen computers, the best way to go is ebay, really untracable if you know what your doing.

Think about it, a five year old mac on ebay is worth around $900. A five yoear old PC is worth about $50. Macs hold thier value, way more than PCs do.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Can you imagine $200000 of macs? That's like 40 top of the line computers or over 100 imacs! *drool* (not that I'm condoning commiting illegal acts) ;)

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Originally posted by drastik
If you are going to sell stolen computers, the best way to go is ebay, really untracable if you know what your doing.

Think about it, a five year old mac on ebay is worth around $900. A five yoear old PC is worth about $50. Macs hold thier value, way more than PCs do.

really untraceable?

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
store being robbed

The apple market is lucrative... I have worked in two stores in Sydney OZ, whilst we have been robbed... (while we have been there, may I add)

Once, i turned around to use the demo iBook in AppleCentre Sydney and it wasn't there...

Looking at the surveilance the thief got the kensinton lock clean out without any damage..

the other time at a store I can't disclose, An old guy started sliding an Imac G3 out the fire exit in the middle of the day!

Ive also seen a number of smash and grabs, thru walls, floors roofs etc..

The fact is, however, it ussually gets caught in a service centre... I have caught 3 stolen laptops myself.

Lets hope this doesn't inflate the price any more.

dmf122

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2002
maybe, Apple should have something called alarms in their USB ports, hmmm... that might be a good idea. CompUSA and all the other companies have it. The only bad thing is sometimes it goes off, but it does stop theives.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
I'm sure they have insurance, so I'm not going to feel too bad. I wonder if they can track the computers numbers if someone registers their product?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.