PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Student looking for older iMac

paperinacup
Mar 30, 2005, 11:47 AM
I am looking to buy an older iMac in good condition. Preferably a 400mhz or higher. Money is kind of tight so I am taking offers. I AM Paypal Verified and have feedback on Ebay, HoFo, Sprintusers, Nextelmodz.

sigamy
Mar 30, 2005, 11:56 AM
Are you in a large city? If so, try http://www.craigslist.org and look for your city. There are lots of iMacs listed. You should be able to find an iMac DV for around $200, maybe even less. Plus it is a local deal so no shipping costs and you get to check out the machine.

Also check dealers listed at http://www.lowendmac.com/imac/ideals.html

paperinacup
Mar 30, 2005, 12:15 PM
Yeah I have been looking on Craig's List. Is a 233 mhz Rev.B worth $60?? It seems like it is. But after I add ram it may not be such a great deal. It also has OS 9.2.2 on it.

tdhurst
Mar 30, 2005, 01:23 PM
Do yourself a favor and stick to a computer that can run OS X decently. iMacs 400mhz and up should really be the cutoff, honestly.

paperinacup
Mar 30, 2005, 01:28 PM
Yea I think I'll just get a Mac Mini. It'll be more than worth it in the long run. :)

tdhurst
Mar 30, 2005, 01:33 PM
Yea I think I'll just get a Mac Mini. It'll be more than worth it in the long run. :)

I absolutely agree, but I know how poor students are (eighth year in school) so I didn't want to push it.
Spending a little more now will help tons in the long run. Great choice!

RGunner
Mar 30, 2005, 02:41 PM
I concur, great choice... I was going to offer my Wallstreet but you are making a smarter choice.

tangerineyum
Mar 30, 2005, 03:02 PM
I have an 333Mhz tangerine iMac thats just sitting in a closet. It has everything that it came with out of the box, the only thing I upgraded was the RAM from 32mb to 160. Its a lil bit slower than your looking for, but Im just offering another option.

sigamy
Mar 30, 2005, 04:02 PM
The mini is a great machine but if you don't have a monitor you are going to be adding more cash.

Once you are in the $600-$800 price range you have many options including refurb or used eMac, a loaded G3 iBook, or a refurb G4 iBook.

Think about it and determine if you need/want portability and really think about your budget and how long you need the computer to last.

The iMac DV is a really nice machine. It doesn't take up much space, can double as a small TV/DVD player and it is whisper quiet. I have one for my 4 year old son and we leave it on 24x7. It is so quiet. Load up some RAM and it runs Panther pretty well. Not sure about Tiger though.

Good luck.

andypress
Mar 30, 2005, 04:31 PM
I have an iMac DV w/256mb of ram and a 13gm hard drive. Basically in like new condition, except she has some barely visible scratches in some places. HAs the original box, keyobard, and a kingston optical mouse. Oh, btw, its the Graphite color.

paperinacup
Mar 30, 2005, 10:18 PM
But I guess I still need something to use for now. So let me know some prices.

macbaseball
Mar 30, 2005, 10:44 PM
I would recommend a computer with a built in screen, either the eMac or iMac. By the time you get finished upgrading the Mini and get Applecare you mgiht as well bought a refurbished G4 or G5 iMac.

paperinacup
Mar 31, 2005, 12:26 AM
Well here is my overall plan.

I already have a Sony Desktop P4 3.06ghz 512mb ram 160gb, dvd-rw, 19 lcd. A custom built AMD XP 2700+, 512mb, 164 gb, 17 crt.

I need a lower end mac to I hold me up until I can afford something better in about a year. Eventually this lower end model will be a 'server' for files in my house.

In maybe another year I can upgrade to whatever is out around this time next year.

So I guess mainly right now I am looking for something that is pretty cheap. Preferably a iMac DV.

ReanimationLP
Mar 31, 2005, 02:17 AM
Stay far far away from a 233 MHz G3. I ran Panther on that, even with 256 MB of RAM and a 7200RPM hard disk it still was slow. x.x

LeeTom
Mar 31, 2005, 02:40 AM
Yeah, if you get an iMac, do yourself a favor and get one with a slot-loading optical drive, at least.

paperinacup
Mar 31, 2005, 02:52 AM
Hm I had scheduled a meeting to buy a 233 Rev.B for $55. But I guess I'll call and tell her nevermind? :confused:

LeeTom
Mar 31, 2005, 02:58 AM
I don't know... I mean, $55 is cheap, but if you spent say, $200 instead and had a much more usable computer, wouldn't that be worth it?

Lee Tom

paperinacup
Mar 31, 2005, 03:31 AM
Hmm I guess you are right. But if I spent $200 I might as well keep on saving and get what I want. I had a Rev. C 12' PB that I let a friend 'borrow' but she really needs a computer right now so I guess in a way I let her have it for a nice little while. I just need something to fulfill my Mac needs. :( My PC more than fulfills my PC needs.

Anymore offers?

I guess I need to sleep on it.

LeeTom
Mar 31, 2005, 03:33 AM
Oh, SNAP!
You didn't say you had a Powerbook that you let some girl "borrow"!
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmnnnnnn.........
I see how it is. Poor college student and all with a bleeding heart.
Been there.

Lee Tom

paperinacup
Mar 31, 2005, 03:35 AM
Heh the sad part is that its not even a g/f or anything like that. But her other computer is a PII 233 mhz running win98. Sooo I guess I'm just too nice of a guy. But I can't afford to be nice lmao.

EDIT: But see she is in even a worse position than I am. If you do someone a favor eventually it'll come back around.

LeeTom
Mar 31, 2005, 03:38 AM
You should really be buying the iMac to let her borrow, and use the Powerbook yourself. But that's me, having been the nice guy one too many times.

paperinacup
Mar 31, 2005, 03:40 AM
You have a great point. But considering she took care of my car note last month I kinda owe her. Hmmm but you do have a GREAT point. That way we can both benefit from it. I could just let her borrow the PB when she has to do intensive things. Thanks for that thought.

LeeTom
Mar 31, 2005, 03:44 AM
If you really want to be a nice guy, let me stay in your flat and hang out in England for a spell! :D

Of course, I'm just assuming you're from England from your grammar, but either way, I'd love to be back in London.

paperinacup
Mar 31, 2005, 03:46 AM
Lol actually I live in SoCal. Interesting that you would say such a thing though since I plan on moving there in the coming years. But when I do relocate you are more than welcome to visit. :)

Marlon_JBT
Apr 8, 2005, 01:36 AM
I'd want my PowerBook back...

Windows 98 or not...