Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSideshow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2011
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft...tm-in-april-2012/9823?tag=mantle_skin;content

"Last I heard, Microsoft’s goal with Windows 8 was to release to manufacturing (RTM) its next Windows release around Q2/Q3 2012, after two beta releases, plus various preview/RC drops. I’d also heard that the plan was to RTM Windows 8 for x86, Windows 8 for ARM/SoC (system on a chip) and Windows 8 Server all at the same time.

I’m now hearing there’s a different timetable for Windows 8. I’ve received new information from a trusted source that Microsoft is actually on track to release to manufacturing all Windows 8 versions by April 2012."

I’ve also heard from my contact that Microsoft’s game plan is to deliver a beta build– not a pre-beta or preview — of Windows 8 around the time of the Build conference in mid-September. This allegedly will be the one and only Windows 8 beta, my contact said. In January 2012 or thereabouts, Microsoft will deliver a final Release Candidate (RC) test build of Windows 8, my source said. (I’m now thinking that January release is the one that leaked a while back from Dell.) And the next and final milestone after RC will be RTM."

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I don't think Microsoft will finish Windows 8 until July 2012 for September 2012 release. The reason is simple: the new interface with Windows 8 will take some time to get working correctly.

TheSideshow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2011
I don't think Microsoft will finish Windows 8 until July 2012 for September 2012 release. The reason is simple: the new interface with Windows 8 will take some time to get working correctly.

They have been working on it since before Windows 7 was released

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011

Why do you know more then the insider source?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.