PDA

View Full Version : iOS 5 Beta 2 Notification Center Now Shows Upcoming Calendar Events

MacRumors
Jun 27, 2011, 01:34 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/27/ios-5-beta-2-notification-center-now-shows-upcoming-calendar-events/)

Late last week, Apple released Beta 2 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/24/apple-releases-ios-5-beta-2-to-developers/) of iOS 5 to developers. The new release added a number (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/26/ios-5-beta-2-3g-ota-native-scrolling-in-safari/) of small features to the previous beta, including the activation of Wi-Fi sync.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/calnotif.jpg

One small but notable additional feature that we've been made aware of is the addition of upcoming calendar events on the Notification Center.

Apple's Notification Center is a centralized view of all your push notifications and widgets. A simple swipe from the top of the screen brings the notification center into view. See this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRflpPY3p8Q) for the Notification Center in action in both portrait and landscape mode.

In the latest beta, Apple has also included calendar events for the upcoming 24 hours in the view, so you can see easily see your calendar appointments at a glance. There are no settings yet to adjust how far in advance you can see your events. Apple has announced it will be releasing iOS 5 to the public this fall.

Article Link: iOS 5 Beta 2 Notification Center Now Shows Upcoming Calendar Events (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/27/ios-5-beta-2-notification-center-now-shows-upcoming-calendar-events/)

pavelbure
Jun 27, 2011, 01:38 PM
I may actually start using calendar if it goes out to a weeks advance notice and not just 24 hours.

mbarriault
Jun 27, 2011, 01:38 PM
Excellent. I actually took the jailbreaking plunge the other day, and the only tweaks that I found actually useful were calendars on the lockscreen (LockCalendar) and better notifications (MobileNotifier). Useful additions, but buggy as hell, and I'll be very glad when I can scrap them for iOS 5.

sherwin007
Jun 27, 2011, 01:39 PM
Reminds my of my old MotoQ.
I did miss those calendar appointments :)

FriarNurgle
Jun 27, 2011, 01:39 PM
iOS 5 is shaping up nicely.

RoboCop001
Jun 27, 2011, 01:40 PM
I'm hoping they add options for this because it would be much better, at least in my opinion, that it shows the next X number of upcoming events regardless of how far away they are. Or at least a bigger limit than 24 hours. Maybe like 7 days.

And also hoping that it shows this on the lock screen as well. I wouldn't mind seeing my next 3 upcoming events.

sjobs@mac.com
Jun 27, 2011, 01:41 PM
Shades of Intelliscreen by Intelliborn. I use this feature everyday. :)

BC2009
Jun 27, 2011, 01:44 PM
I'm hoping that iOS 5 allows you to "Open In..." for calendar events extracted from emails and such. I love the fact that "next saturday" in an email gets recognized and made into a link to create a calendar event -- I just don't want to create the event in the crappy default iOS calendar. I want to tap-and-hold and choose an alternate calendar app to use.

I'd also like to see the ability to create location-based reminders/tasks for third-party apps since that iOS 5 reminders app looks pretty bare-bones.

Don't get me wrong.... Calendar and Reminders are great default apps, but for the power-users who favor the more advanced apps, it would be nice if we can still leverage some of the niceties the default apps make use of.

darthraige
Jun 27, 2011, 01:47 PM
Great, now just include a Twitter Feed, some Phone Favorites and RSS Feeds, and I won't have to use LockInfo anymore.

Fliesen
Jun 27, 2011, 01:47 PM
i would love to see a way to keep these on the lockscreen

reubs
Jun 27, 2011, 01:48 PM
I use the stock calendar widget for my 2.1 android, and it's such a useful feature to see what's upcoming. It's always on my homescreen, so as soon as I unlock the device it's right there. I can tap it, and I can get to my calendar app immediately.

I know that Apple isn't a huge fan of widgets, but I really feel like Android gets it right there with allowing things like a calendar on the home screen. I doubt we'll see it in iOS 5, but having the info on the lock screen is at least a start. I wonder if other apps will be able to take advantage it, too...

jonnysods
Jun 27, 2011, 01:50 PM
That's weird, I can't see any future appointments on my NC.

nevesis
Jun 27, 2011, 01:55 PM
That linen texture sucks. Why did they think that was a good idea?

kockgunner
Jun 27, 2011, 01:56 PM
Is it just me or does the pull down handle of NC look out of place. Maybe it looks better on an actual screen, but whenever I see screenshots of it, it looks like the outline is too thick.

profets
Jun 27, 2011, 01:58 PM

Looks beautiful on the 'retina' screen in high res.. But for older iPhones and iPad it does look horrible for text.

Gotta Hankerin
Jun 27, 2011, 01:58 PM
Good to see iOS calendar app getting some tweaks. I'm interested in how the reminders app works with notifications and also, on a semi-unrelated point, if the 'location' field in Calendar is finally a hot link to the Maps app.

M-O
Jun 27, 2011, 01:59 PM
Reminds my of my old MotoQ.
I did miss those calendar appointments :)

... so i guess they didn't work. generally reminders aim to prevent you from missing calendar appointments.

djrobsd
Jun 27, 2011, 02:05 PM
Yes please Apple. Please put it on the lock screen too and let us specify how many days or a fixed # of upcoming appointments to see... Thank you.

Sincerely,

Guy who always forgets he had a doctors appointment yesterday.

willryan42
Jun 27, 2011, 02:14 PM
Poor lockinfo :(

acslater017
Jun 27, 2011, 02:15 PM

I don't have the beta, but it looks good to me. A simple, dark pattern that differentiates the notifications panel from say, a Settings panel.

In many Apple products, the linen has come to represent "nothingness" for temporary or extraneous UI elements - the Dashboard background, the iOS folder background, the Final Cut Pro X Timeline background, the OS X Lion login screen, and now the iOS 5 Notifications background. (EDIT: oh, and the new "PC Free" setup screen")

It's more interesting than a pure black/white/whatever, but not so detailed as to be distracting. Classy, IMO. :cool:

Nicksd84
Jun 27, 2011, 02:16 PM
This update can't get here fast enough!

Gemütlichkeit
Jun 27, 2011, 02:17 PM
i would love to see a way to keep these on the lockscreen

Exactly. I hope there's a toggle switch that says "View on lock screen"

shareef777
Jun 27, 2011, 02:19 PM
Yes please Apple. Please put it on the lock screen too and let us specify how many days or a fixed # of upcoming appointments to see... Thank you.

Sincerely,

Don't know about you, but my lock screen is filled as it is. It'd be nice to have it as an option for those that rely heavily on their calendar over email/messages/phone.

neilk2350
Jun 27, 2011, 02:28 PM
the notification center in ios 5 shows weather on the iphone not on the ipad. thoughts?

iPhysicist
Jun 27, 2011, 02:30 PM
I may actually start using calendar if it goes out to a weeks advance notice and not just 24 hours.

A week, a day, a month, an hour ? You can set up your personalized reminder within calendars itself. You will get reminded by mail... but you may should start using mail clients as well then...

This is just a "don't miss on" kind of information. I like this feature.

stewart1988
Jun 27, 2011, 02:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

the notification center in ios 5 shows weather on the iphone not on the ipad. thoughts?

iPad doesn't have a weather app. I'm guessing thats why.

rorschach
Jun 27, 2011, 02:39 PM
Great, now just include a Twitter Feed, some Phone Favorites and RSS Feeds, and I won't have to use LockInfo anymore.

Phone favorites would be a nice option. Do we know yet if developers can write "widgets" for NC (like Stocks and Weather) instead of just having regular text push notifications show up in the list?

rodricav
Jun 27, 2011, 02:40 PM
Everybody deserves a WiFi toggle on/off on notifications menu, even though it's not a notification. "Screen Unlocking -> Settings -> Wifi -> On/Off" SUCKS and takes much time. Please, Apple, solve this.

rhett7660
Jun 27, 2011, 02:42 PM

If I could get my RSS feeds in there I would be one major happy camper also... ala no more using LockInfo here either!

basesloaded190
Jun 27, 2011, 02:45 PM
Everybody deserves a WiFi toggle on/off on notifications menu, even though it's not a notification. "Screen Unlocking -> Settings -> Wifi -> On/Off" SUCKS and takes much time. Please, Apple, solve this.

I don't get why people always complain about this. How often are you really turning WiFi on and off that it becomes an inconvenience to press the screen three or so times?

BJMRamage
Jun 27, 2011, 02:48 PM

I hate when we are having problems with our home WiFi…and apparently our neighbor's unlocked one too and my iPhone spins and spins as it continues to try the WiFi without success and saying it needs an internet connection. Seriously! Use the 3G service I am paying for. There shouldn't be any internet connection issues when I have full bars and know I am in a prime 3G area but my WiFi is not working"quite right".

I hate going through all the settings to WiFi. I know it isn't much but is tedious and I feel a simple switch or something like a double-home –tap could get me to it like it can with iTunes control.

jasonbuzz
Jun 27, 2011, 02:50 PM
I like it. The added realism of 1 AT&T bar makes me know this is legit!

rodricav
Jun 27, 2011, 02:55 PM
I don't get why people always complain about this. How often are you really turning WiFi on and off that it becomes an inconvenience to press the screen three or so times?

Since battery is becoming the biggest issue of smartphones, turning off WiFi gives me more time. Besides the battery issue, every wifi spot bothers me with a popup message.

reubs
Jun 27, 2011, 03:05 PM

Android has made it SO EASY to toggle on/off wifi/data that Apple should implement it, also. Sometimes the Wifi overrides the data, even though the data is more reliable, and Wifi needs to be turned off. When I'm driving, I like to turn them both off, and it's easier to just unlock/toggle off than to go through all of the settings screens.

FriarNurgle
Jun 27, 2011, 03:05 PM

It actually goes quite well with my simple dark backgrounds that I normally use... but you do have a point. Hopefully Apple will add Notification to Wallpaper settings.

FriarNurgle
Jun 27, 2011, 03:07 PM
Since battery is becoming the biggest issue of smartphones, turning off WiFi gives me more time. Besides the battery issue, every wifi spot bothers me with a popup message.

Just turn off "Ask to Join Networks" under Settings -> Wi-Fi Networks.

Alex Hobbs
Jun 27, 2011, 03:14 PM
Is it just me or does the pull down handle of NC look out of place. Maybe it looks better on an actual screen, but whenever I see screenshots of it, it looks like the outline is too thick.

It looks awful on the device too.

RoboCop001
Jun 27, 2011, 03:16 PM

That doesn't stop it from constantly searching for WiFi networks, it just stops it from asking you if you want to join one if it finds one.

ingramLee
Jun 27, 2011, 03:27 PM
I still prefer LockInfo over this

Trius
Jun 27, 2011, 04:18 PM

Haha +1

macslayer118
Jun 27, 2011, 04:27 PM
Oh no... lockinfo may have just lost my business :eek:

jhongturney
Jun 27, 2011, 04:32 PM
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else yet, but I didn't notice this in b1... There is an "Open Links" option in the settings for Safari on the iPhone 4 now where you can change the default to "In Background".

This was one of my biggest frustrations with Safari on the phone (and on the iPad as well, previously, which led to me using Terra), so I'm glad to see it "fixed".

There also seems to be a new option under Music for "Group By Album Artist", but I'm not sure yet what it is for, given that there's already an option for "Album" and "Artist" in the Music app. I can't tell what changes exactly by turning it on.

QuarterSwede
Jun 27, 2011, 04:40 PM
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else yet, but I didn't notice this in b1... There is an "Open Links" option in the settings for Safari on the iPhone 4 now where you can change the default to "In Background".
That was in beta 1 if I remember correctly.

There also seems to be a new option under Music for "Group By Album Artist", but I'm not sure yet what it is for, given that there's already an option for "Album" and "Artist" in the Music app. I can't tell what changes exactly by turning it on.
Album Artist is a tag that is used to primarily group compilations. It's just an alternative way to group for albums that don't fit the regular mold and is definitely a welcome addition.

rodricav
Jun 27, 2011, 04:41 PM

Oh. I hadn't noticed... thanks for the advice!

rockosmodurnlif
Jun 27, 2011, 04:59 PM
Why do you have a two button sequence to lock into portrait mode? Would it be so inconvenient to move that option to the settings screen so people who want to do that can press the screen three or so times and replace the portrait lock with wi-fi on or off?

MindlessJD
Jun 27, 2011, 05:16 PM

Well said sir! :P

dmula
Jun 27, 2011, 05:19 PM
Close button is missing, it was there in beta1.

Lennholm
Jun 27, 2011, 05:49 PM

Don't hold your breath, this is Apple so we'll probably only have a big On/Off switch and no way to tweak details like that. Apple already knows which time interval is best for everyone. I hope I'm wrong.

Legion93
Jun 27, 2011, 06:03 PM
iOS 5 looks awesome :cool:

bryan85
Jun 27, 2011, 06:35 PM
Am I the only person that does not like this feature? I already set reminders in my calendar for one hour, one day, whatever. I obviously don't want to be reminded until then, but this new feature overrides what I specifically requested. :mad:

munmac
Jun 27, 2011, 06:51 PM
Original iOS 5.0 screenshot showed AT&T having 4-5 signal bars [shown below]
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/notif.jpg

This outrageous and obviously 'photoshoped' image provided skepticism in believing that a new iOS was even coming.

However,

New iOS 5.0 screenshot shows AT&T having 1 signal bar [shown below]
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/calnotif.jpg

New iOS 5.0 rumor confirmed.

haruhiko
Jun 27, 2011, 08:16 PM
I don't know why is this not in the lock screen....?

Now I need to click the power/home button, slide to unlock, and swipe down to pull out the notification centre to view my upcoming calendar events.

Anyway it's a good change, but can be better ;)

DomC
Jun 27, 2011, 08:28 PM
I really hope the linen texture can be changed.

Steveorevo
Jun 27, 2011, 08:31 PM

Screw wifi, that thing is efficient as hell. Its BLUETOOTH that's a vamp on steroids. I avoid BT accessories, but would love to use them. BT cuts battery life to 1/3 of what it is without it.

BJMRamage
Jun 27, 2011, 08:34 PM
Screw wifi, that thing is efficient as hell. Its BLUETOOTH that's a vamp on steroids. I avoid BT accessories, but would love to use them. BT cuts battery life to 1/3 of what it is without it.

agreed BT sucks the battery life away

haruhiko
Jun 27, 2011, 08:44 PM

I have used iPhone for 3 years, and I just found that instead of turning WiFi off, I can just turn off the "Ask to join networks" option to get rid of the annoying pop up!!!! :(

AppleDroid
Jun 27, 2011, 09:02 PM
Linen EVERYWHERE!!

cmaier
Jun 27, 2011, 09:18 PM
I really hope the linen texture can be changed.

Not that familiar with Apple products, huh?

twoodcc
Jun 27, 2011, 09:26 PM
i'm really looking forward to iOS 5. getting better already

radiogoober
Jun 27, 2011, 09:26 PM
Am I the only person that does not like this feature? I already set reminders in my calendar for one hour, one day, whatever. I obviously don't want to be reminded until then, but this new feature overrides what I specifically requested. :mad:

Really? You complain about this? Sigh.

cmaier
Jun 27, 2011, 09:30 PM
Really? You complain about this? Sigh.

I don't like it either. I am annoyed I can't make them go away. I keep seeing tons of tomorrow's appointments mixed in with today's appointments. When an alarm goes off it gets lost in the noise.

I also think it's buggy - the clear button shows up when an alarm is mixed in, but clearing doesn't actually work (it doesn't even clear the timers).

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 27, 2011, 10:12 PM
this is better

cookiesnfooty
Jun 28, 2011, 02:41 AM
I don't like it either. I am annoyed I can't make them go away. I keep seeing tons of tomorrow's appointments mixed in with today's appointments. When an alarm goes off it gets lost in the noise.

I also think it's buggy - the clear button shows up when an alarm is mixed in, but clearing doesn't actually work (it doesn't even clear the timers).

The OS is still at beta stage ffs.

ironsienna
Jun 28, 2011, 03:11 AM

I 100% agree with you. I made a thread discussing my points on how amateurish it looks here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1169450

Xenc
Jun 28, 2011, 04:25 AM
Linen EVERYWHERE!!

OSX 10.7 Linen

jmpnop
Jun 28, 2011, 05:44 AM

Haha it sure is:D

Smutchings
Jun 28, 2011, 06:29 AM

You can turn calendars off from appearing in the notification centre (as with any notifications) by going to Settings > Notifications. You can also change the order in which notification centre displays notifications, and wether to show the Weather or Stocks.

rodricav
Jun 28, 2011, 07:18 AM
OSX 10.7 Linen

Lol.. only textures.

Mac OS XI:
11.1 - Linen
11.2 - Wood
11.3 - Grass
11.4 - Glass
11.5 - Marble
11.6 - Ivory
11.7 - Crystal
11.8 - Forged Steel
11.9 - Diamond

Cod3rror
Jun 28, 2011, 07:53 AM
That's very nice, I love that feature in LockInfo.

I hope they'll add a configuration for 24H, 7days, 14 days and a month ahead view.

And it's all scheduled appointments right? Not only the ones you've set an alert on?

I also hope the appointments that you have an alert on, or location, will have an icon indicator next to them.

zync
Jun 28, 2011, 09:30 AM

It's the worst. I've hated it since day one, when it appeared in iOS folders. It looks like someone who just bought Photoshop played around with filters.

I know that they think it's classy, and linen-y, but it's neither.

cmaier
Jun 28, 2011, 09:52 AM
The OS is still at beta stage ffs.

Of course. My (poorly indicated) point is only that the way it works in the end is likely to be quite different than what we are currently seeing.

Matt-Man-Plus
Jun 28, 2011, 07:55 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sincerely,

AMEN!!

GreasyWeasel
Jun 29, 2011, 08:57 AM
Lol.. only textures.

Mac OS XI:
11.1 - Linen
11.2 - Wood
11.3 - Grass
11.4 - Glass
11.5 - Marble
11.6 - Ivory
11.7 - Crystal
11.8 - Forged Steel
11.9 - Diamond

What? No Chrome? ;)

bryan85
Jun 29, 2011, 07:21 PM
You can turn calendars off from appearing in the notification centre (as with any notifications) by going to Settings > Notifications. You can also change the order in which notification centre displays notifications, and wether to show the Weather or Stocks.

Completely irrelevant. I want to see my calendar notifications, just not the next 24 hours of calendar activity.

badfish628
Jun 29, 2011, 11:58 PM
How is this different from this?:
http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/lockinfo.jpg&sa=X&ei=CAIMTpyNLYmWsgO6r5z-DQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEp0ncEna1WBgNyCy_UiFiaY0yvgg

All the Apple fanboys handing out thumbs down, just relax I'm an iPhone and Mac user and have been for years. Seems like a bit of a stolen idea, considering it looks and apparently operates nearly identical to Lockinfo in terms of activation.