Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GhostDZ9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Hey Guys,

So I was just wondering if it was possible to install Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server on a network drive and then install an svn on that server. The reason being is we don't want to host our projects on the internet via cloud based services

Is this possible?

Ghost

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You don't need Mac OS X server for what you want. You can do it with any Unix. There are even some pre-built turnkey VMs around.

Why not a secure cloud based server though?

Something like http://beanstalkapp.com/ works very well and is cheap and secure.

EDIT: Here's one such pre-built server solution.

B

Last edited:

GhostDZ9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Yea we were looking into them however currently we would like to run a local svn server, Is there any gui interfaced server that I can install that anyone knows off?

GhostDZ9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Ok well i can't make the hackintosh on my old desktop cause the specs are not new enough, can i connect macs to a linux mint svn server?

GhostDZ9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Is there a cross platform svn server that is similar to visualsvn?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
That is basically what Bitnami Trac (linked above) is intended to be.

You'd be done by now if you just went with a hosted service. ;)

B

GhostDZ9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Oh I know, I already have the hosted service setup already, however my team is too sketchy about it being hosted to an online service that isn't that secure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.